PDA

View Full Version : US World Cup Bid Host Cities named

werewolf
01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Federation-Services/2010/01/USA-Bid-Committee-Announces-Cities-To-Be-Included-in-US-Bid-to-Host-FIFA-World-Cup.aspx

USA Bid Final Cities for Inclusion in Bid Book to FIFA for 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup and Related Stadiums
(In alphabetical order)

Metro Market/City - Stadium - Estimated Capacity for FIFA World Cup
Atlanta Georgia Dome 70,868
Baltimore M & T Bank Stadium 71,008
Boston Gillette Stadium 73,393
Dallas Cowboys Stadium 91,600
Dallas Cotton Bowl 89,000
Denver INVESCO Field 75,165
Houston Reliant Stadium 76,000
Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium 66,500
Kansas City Arrowhead Stadium 75,364
Los Angeles Rose Bowl 89,000
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum 93,607
Miami Land Shark Field 80,240
Nashville LP Field 75,000
New York/New Jersey New Meadowlands Stadium 84,046
Philadelphia Lincoln Financial Field 69,111
Phoenix/Glendale University of Phoenix Stadium 71,362
San Diego Qualcomm Stadium 67,700
Seattle Qwest Field 68,056
Seattle Husky Stadium 72,500
Tampa Raymond James Stadium 75,000
Washington, D.C. FedEx Field 89,690

Stadiums currently with Artificial surfaces in italics.

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
no chicago????

werewolf
01-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Chicago and Detroit aren't on the list, despite hosting last time, and having new stadiums. Orlando and the Bay Area are also omissions from '94.

TFC07
01-12-2010, 06:11 PM
A lot of teams are going to complain about travelling.

flatpicker
01-12-2010, 06:13 PM
It sure would be nice if they got the Cup.
I would love to go down to a game.

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-12-2010, 06:14 PM

unless youre lucky enough to be in the DC/Bal/Phi/Bos/NY corridor ;)

flatpicker
01-12-2010, 06:14 PM

Would they keep certain teams to a select region during group stage?
That would cut down quite a bit in the beginning.

JonO
01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I think that's usually how they do it...

GabrielHurl
01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
In USA 1994 two groups were serviced by 3 stadia each eg

Groups A and B played in Pasadena, Pontiac and Stanford
Groups C and D played in Chicago, Dallas and Boston
Groups E and F played in New York, Washington and Orlando

Toronto Ruffrider
01-12-2010, 07:22 PM
^ Still seems like a bit much to me. The World Cup doesn't need 21 host venues. The 2002 World Cup featured 20 stadiums split between Korea and Japan, and I thought that was excessive. The US could cut the number venues by half and still do a good job of hosting the World Cup.

twistedchinaman
01-12-2010, 08:51 PM
^ There's no way that's a final list. At most, probably a preliminary list.

Even at a 32 team tournament in South Africa there's only 10 venues; and just looking at the list there's a snowball's chance in hell Seattle or Dallas will get two venues.

If there was to be maybe say, 12...these are the ones with the best chance:

Dallas Cowboys Stadium 91,600
Denver INVESCO Field 75,165
Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium 66,500
Kansas City Arrowhead Stadium 75,364
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum 93,607
Miami Land Shark Field 80,240
Nashville LP Field 75,000
New York/New Jersey New Meadowlands Stadium 84,046
Philadelphia Lincoln Financial Field 69,111
Phoenix/Glendale University of Phoenix Stadium 71,362
Seattle Qwest Field 68,056
Washington, D.C. FedEx Field 89,690

The layout is quite even, throughout the regions. There's stadia in the South and the Midwest, plus some in the West and the Pacific. And since all four grounds with artificial turf (Seattle, NY/NJ, Indy, Dallas) are open air (or can be open air); not hard to put some temp turf in like at BMO dring the Real Madrid visit, right?

Redcoe15
01-12-2010, 10:45 PM
No Chicago? No Detroit? No San Francisco Bay Area? But Dallas, Los Angeles and Seattle get two?

Sorry, but that list is loads of suck, IMO. :prrr:

Carts
01-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Dallas - is that the new or old Cowboys stadium (if its still standing)...???

I remember reading FIFA was none too happy with a giant scoreboard being only 90-feet from the playing surface, and that is was a "major issue"...

Carts...

Toronto Ruffrider
01-12-2010, 11:13 PM
The layout is quite even, throughout the regions. There's stadia in the South and the Midwest, plus some in the West and the Pacific. And since all four grounds with artificial turf (Seattle, NY/NJ, Indy, Dallas) are open air (or can be open air); not hard to put some temp turf in like at BMO dring the Real Madrid visit, right?

Temp turf is lower quality than field turf, and it would never be accepted by FIFA for an event of this calibre. If the likes of Seattle and NY/NJ are chosen as host cities, their respective stadiums will be fitted with proper natural grass surfaces well before the World Cup takes place. Once the World Cup is over, I'm sure the grass will be replaced with field turf.

twistedchinaman
01-12-2010, 11:29 PM
^ True; it depends on who goes back, or won't be all-grass by then. For all we know Qwest could be on grass by 2022...

billyfly
01-12-2010, 11:30 PM
No Columbus?

Auzzy
01-12-2010, 11:31 PM
For World Cup 1994 in the US, Giants Stadium had its AstroTurf temporarily covered by grass. That may have been done at other venues as well. Not ideal, but possible according to FIFA -- unless they have changed their mind since then.

Even more extreme, at the Pontiac Silverdome: "For the World Cup games, a natural grass surface capable of growing inside the dome was developed and installed by a team from Michican State University. This grass surface was laid upon wooden pallets atop the artificial turf that is usually used. It was the first time that World Cup games were played indoors." [Disclosure: according to Wikepedia]

twistedchinaman
01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
No Columbus?

...and that's the way it should be, n'est pas?

twistedchinaman
01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
For World Cup 1994 in the US, Giants Stadium had its AstroTurf temporarily covered by grass. That may have been done at other venues as well. Not ideal, but possible according to FIFA -- unless they have changed their mind since then.

Even more extreme, at the Pontiac Silverdome: "For the World Cup games, a natural grass surface capable of growing inside the dome was developed and installed by a team from Michican State University. This grass surface was laid upon wooden pallets atop the artificial turf that is usually used. It was the first time that World Cup games were played indoors." [Disclosure: according to Wikepedia]

For a showpiece event in a new territory I think it would have been acceptable once; if US does host I doubt it will be acceptable this time. It's grass or nuttin', no blankets.

Hitcho
01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Can't see the US getting another world cup 6 or 7 events aftre the last time. I know the US counts as its own continent, but it's still giving it to one nation twice in relatively quick succession. And yes, I know in the past other nations have hosted the WC in relatively close proximity, but this is now the 21st Century and the sport is truly global, with professional leagues everywhere and almost countless nations able to lay on a good WC if they host it. So in those terms, 2 in 7 is a lot for one country to host.

That said, I would love it if the WC went from England in 2018 to the US in 2022. I might well get to both of those! :D:D:D

Toronto_Bhoy
01-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Venue (12) ratio to teams (32) seems way out of whack?

2006 Germany had 12 at 18 your cost of hosting goes up 30% or 40%?

I'm not sure about this…maybe these are the finalists?

Detroit_TFC
One of the Detroit newspaper reports that both the facilities in Detroit pulled out of the process several months ago (edit: probably just after the last cut, when the bid committee wanted to get signed agreements). U of Mich wasn't willing to make the field modifications necessary and apparently the Detroit sports commission didn't feel they could raise the necessary funds to support the bid.

I'm still fuming. Guess I'll be spending my money in Indy.

billyfly

Surely my humour does not escape you?

twistedchinaman
01-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Surely my humour does not escape you?

No, just playing along. :D

Anyway, New Cowboys Stadium looked like a good venue during the Gold Cup; I don't see why a World Cup can't be held there.

tfcleeds
01-13-2010, 12:20 AM

I remember reading FIFA was none too happy with a giant scoreboard being only 90-feet from the playing surface, and that is was a "major issue"...

Carts...

Carts,

Old Cowboys stadium is done. New Cowboys stadium would be an absolute shoe-in to host a World Cup game.

I don't know about FIFA's concerns...Gold Cup was great, as far as I can tell.

Toronto Ruffrider
01-13-2010, 12:23 AM

The expectations associated with pitch quality have increased a lot over the years. While it may have been acceptable to play professional soccer on astroturf 25 years ago, only the best natural surfaces suffice today. A temporary grass pitch along the lines of what's been used at Gillette Stadium for the Gold Cup would not be acceptable at the World Cup. Such dead pitches are not conducive to fast-paced attractive soccer.

Of course, a pallet system similar to the one used at the Silverdome would present a much more viable option than the temporary pitch at Gillette Stadium. The playing surface at Reliant Stadium in Houston consists of grass pallets, so we know this route is plausible. As long as grass can be kept alive and in high quality, it can be used for World Cup games.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Carts,

Old Cowboys stadium is done. New Cowboys stadium would be an absolute shoe-in to host a World Cup game.

I don't know about FIFA's concerns...Gold Cup was great, as far as I can tell.

There was mention earlier in the year that the FINAL would be played at the new Cowboys stadium!

Keystone FC
01-13-2010, 06:49 AM
There will be changes and just because Chicago was taken off the list they may be back on it if there is a problem with another venue. This is for the '18 and '22 WC so there may be something built before then. I know Minnesota is working on a new stadium for the Vikings and LA just went forward with the new LA stadium for an NFL franchise.
I do hope Indianapolis and Nashville make the cut. Indy is just an hour and 1/2 away and Nashville isn't to far. Plus I can see Chicago eventually getting a slot.

Oldtimer
01-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Some of those cities have a really good soccer interest. I'm not really surprised that Cowlumbus isn't on the list.

Miko
01-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Can't see the US getting another world cup 6 or 7 events aftre the last time. I know the US counts as its own continent, but it's still giving it to one nation twice in relatively quick succession.

One thing they have in their favour is that the U.S. bought the most tickets to this year's World Cup.

Plus, 5 of the 10 major sponsors of this years event are American companies and 3 of the others have significant business in America.

I see 2018 going to England and 2022 to the States.

stugautz
01-13-2010, 09:17 AM
The scoreboard height issue for the cowboys stadium is a non issue. Jerry Jones intentionally put it at 90 feet because that was the NFL rule. He knew balls would hit it, but didn't care. It's not difficult to move it up another 30-40 feet, and I don't think it will effect the view people in the lower bowl have of the scoreboard.

stugautz
01-13-2010, 09:18 AM

Ohio stadium does seat 102,000

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fc/Panoramic_view_of_Ohio_Stadium.jpg/1000px-Panoramic_view_of_Ohio_Stadium.jpg

drewski
01-13-2010, 09:21 AM

Carts...

i could see how they might have been concerned before any NFL games were played, but after of not having much of a problem of punts hitting the scoreboard (happened once in game I think), that shouldn't be a concern anymore. and if it is, the scoreboard can be raised.

twistedchinaman
01-13-2010, 08:49 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fc/Panoramic_view_of_Ohio_Stadium.jpg/1000px-Panoramic_view_of_Ohio_Stadium.jpg

Four problems with Ohio Stadium:

- It's in Columbus;
- Field dimensions are 62 x 106. Very short;
- It's a 102,000 seater, closing off seats could be necessary;
- Did we mention it was in Columbus?

boban
01-13-2010, 10:00 PM
:facepalm:

boban
01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Too many people are thinking in final terms here.
This is a list of venues. From this FIFA picks where it will go.
Some of the stadiums, specifically the 2nd stadium in a city, are venues used for training purposes.
But I still think Chicago not on the list is nuts.
SF Bay area is not on the list because they don't have a stadium or resolved issues on a future stadium.

twistedchinaman
01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Chicago, other than Soldier Field, has nowhere else -- the largest stadium in the state of Illinois is in Champaign, which isn't exactly Pontiac in 1994.

Look at the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_football_stadiums_by_capacity

...this should give you an idea as to where some of the biggest stadiums are, and they aren't in the large centres that FIFA would want, not by a long, long, LONG shot.

Dirk Diggler
01-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Why is Soldier Field not on the list? Is it not big enough (in terms of field dimensions and crowd capacity)? Seems a bit ridiculous to leave out the third biggest city in the country.

boban
01-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Why is Soldier Field not on the list? Is it not big enough (in terms of field dimensions and crowd capacity)? Seems a bit ridiculous to leave out the third biggest city in the country.
Capacity would be bog enough, though it would be the smallest in that aspect. And the field is sure big enough. It hosts the Gold Cup Finals.

Detroit_TFC
01-15-2010, 11:03 AM
I get the feeling that if FIFA green lights the US, Soldier Field will reappear on the venue list - FIFA will tell USSF to add it. Grant Park would be a perfect location for a huge fan zone.

JonO
01-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Temp turf is lower quality than field turf, and it would never be accepted by FIFA for an event of this calibre. If the likes of Seattle and NY/NJ are chosen as host cities, their respective stadiums will be fitted with proper natural grass surfaces well before the World Cup takes place. Once the World Cup is over, I'm sure the grass will be replaced with field turf.
They had real grass indoor at the Silverdome in '94.... I think they could work something out

(never mind - it has been addressed)

prizby
01-15-2010, 02:28 PM

don't the press in soccer..like the tv and radio commentators like being close to the field, not way up in the middle of nowhere?

on another note

it is a crying shame that chicago is not given hosting rights as Illinois has a massive amount of soccer related population.

that is poor judgement by the USSF/bid committee?

Keystone FC
01-17-2010, 05:22 AM
it is a crying shame that chicago is not given hosting rights as Illinois has a massive amount of soccer related population.

that is poor judgement by the USSF/bid committee?
I'm wondering if there might have been some sort of conflict with the stadium around that time of the Cup.
There may have been a scheduled repair maintenance of some sort during the 2018/22 Cups.

ensco
01-17-2010, 09:00 AM
I think the likelihood of England and USA getting it back to back are zero, given who FIFA is and how it works. It's one or the other.

The USA has a real shot because the Spain/Portugal bid will be the one that FIFA will love, even though England have much better stadiums.

prizby
01-17-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm wondering if there might have been some sort of conflict with the stadium around that time of the Cup.
There may have been a scheduled repair maintenance of some sort during the 2018/22 Cups.

the US is all about setting records...they want to set an attendance record that won't be broken. Soldier Field was one of the smallest stadiums being looked at (at 61,000 ~ capacity)

also based on the popularity in Illinois for soccer, the Chicago bid committee probably thought they would win the hosting rights merely based on merit. - they were not campaigning much on their behalf

TFCtoMUFC
01-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Really, INVESCO? The difference in elevation would be nuts. Also I'm a huge Chargers fan and I heard rumblings that the Q was getting torn down, possibilities of the bolts moving to LA or somewhere else in California for a stadium deal.

canadian_bhoy
01-17-2010, 10:01 AM
It's too bad that so many of the US college stadiums are benches instead of all-seaters.

Having 100,000 plus for a world cup game in Happy Valley, Tennessee or Michigan would be unreal.

http://collegerule.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/white1js9.gif

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/cities/detroit/images/michigan.jpg

http://www.stadiumdb.com/images/stadiums/north%20america/usa/knoxville,%20tennessee/neyland-stadium.jpg

boban
01-17-2010, 11:31 AM
It's pretty much a brand new stadium. And 2018/2022 is far enough to schedule around a WC tournament.

boban
01-17-2010, 11:35 AM
the US is all about setting records...they want to set an attendance record that won't be broken. Soldier Field was one of the smallest stadiums being looked at (at 61,000 ~ capacity)

also based on the popularity in Illinois for soccer, the Chicago bid committee probably thought they would win the hosting rights merely based on merit. - they were not campaigning much on their behalf
They had a couple 50,000 stadiums in a 52 game tournament and the 94 WC is still by far and away the most attended WC.
The WC is now a a 64 game tourney and the smallest stadium, if it was in the list, would be Chicago's.
A 64 game WC hosted tournament in USA would not be even remotely touched by anyone else ever in terms of at stadium attendance - regardless of Soldier Field hosting games or not.

boban
01-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Really, INVESCO? The difference in elevation would be nuts. Also I'm a huge Chargers fan and I heard rumblings that the Q was getting torn down, possibilities of the bolts moving to LA or somewhere else in California for a stadium deal.
There is also talk of them building a new stadium in SD.

boban
01-17-2010, 11:39 AM
It's too bad that so many of the US college stadiums are benches instead of all-seaters.

Having 100,000 plus for a world cup game in Happy Valley, Tennessee or Michigan would be unreal.
hmmmmm.
People on this board keep saying Canada can't host a WC because we would suffer in attendance in 50,000 seat stadiums, yet 100,000 would show up not problem in some hick town in the US?

canadian_bhoy
01-17-2010, 12:06 PM
hmmmmm.
People on this board keep saying Canada can't host a WC because we would suffer in attendance in 50,000 seat stadiums, yet 100,000 would show up not problem in some hick town in the US?

U of Michigan is a 30-40 min drive from Detriot, Tenessee plays in Knoxville (hardly a small hick town).

Also - you can't really compare Canada to the US, they have 300,000,000 peeople. We have 30,000,000

boban
01-17-2010, 12:23 PM
U of Michigan is a 30-40 min drive from Detriot, Tenessee plays in Knoxville (hardly a small hick town).

Also - you can't really compare Canada to the US, they have 300,000,000 peeople. We have 30,000,000
Yes you can - for 10-12 venues.
Venues in smaller places outside the metropolis don't add to the media bang the USSF would be looking for.
Also, selling 100,000 for Saudi Arabia vs. Korea or whatever African country would be a tough sell to sell out.

canadian_bhoy
01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes you can - for 10-12 venues.
Venues in smaller places outside the metropolis don't add to the media bang the USSF would be looking for.
Also, selling 100,000 for Saudi Arabia vs. Korea or whatever African country would be a tough sell to sell out.

The US is a strange place though. You look at the NFL and NHL and think "Why the hell would they put a team in Jacksonville and places like that. But the crazy thing is that the US is so big and has such a strong sports culture, that places that seem "small" and "hickish" actually have more TV and advertising potential than any Canadian city.

boban
01-17-2010, 01:10 PM
The US is a strange place though. You look at the NFL and NHL and think "Why the hell would they put a team in Jacksonville and places like that. But the crazy thing is that the US is so big and has such a strong sports culture, that places that seem "small" and "hickish" actually have more TV and advertising potential than any Canadian city.
because they have a an affinity for those teams. They are 'their' teams.
SA, Korea, or some African country is nothing to them.

AL-MO
01-17-2010, 01:20 PM

http://collegerule.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/white1js9.gif

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/cities/detroit/images/michigan.jpg

http://www.stadiumdb.com/images/stadiums/north%20america/usa/knoxville,%20tennessee/neyland-stadium.jpg

Yeah that would be cool CB. Those are three stadiums I'd like to attend a game at some time in the next few years.

Canary Canuck
01-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Capacity would be bog enough, though it would be the smallest in that aspect. And the field is sure big enough. It hosts the Gold Cup Finals.

Soldier Field is wide enough to be legal but is not wide enough to fit the mandatory 68 metre world cup width. As for hosting Gold Cups, CONCACAF doesn't care about this because they only care about putting the Gold Cup final in a place it will sell out and make the most money. Even Giants Stadium, one of the narrowest stadiums in the NFL, has hosted several Gold Cup finals.

In the 21st century, FIFA isn't going to budge and all stadiums will have to think like Rita Mcneil and get wide

Dirk Diggler
01-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Soldier Field is wide enough to be legal but is not wide enough to fit the mandatory 68 metre world cup width. As for hosting Gold Cups, CONCACAF doesn't care about this because they only care about putting the Gold Cup final in a place it will sell out and make the most money. Even Giants Stadium, one of the narrowest stadiums in the NFL, has hosted several Gold Cup finals.

In the 21st century, FIFA isn't going to budge and all stadiums will have to think like Rita Mcneil and get wide

The new Giants stadium is going to be similarly narrow. Don't think width was an issue.

SQUIRREL
01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Do you guys think that by that time Canada will make a World Cup??? I'd love to go watch Canada anywhere but to watch it close to home would be great, more supporters.