PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Program

mlsintoronto
01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
(or Programme, if you like.)

Many people have asked us over the first three seasons to come up with a relevant game day program - like you see at the other sports in Toronto, and perhaps more importantly - like you see in other footballing cultures. We're looking at giving it a go next season I think, with the help of a local publisher.

The economics (not the only reason to do things I know, but important!) are difficult to wrap our heads around for one key reason: unlike the other sports in Toronto, our Season Seat Holders come to almost every game. That means it is the same 16,000 people coming through the turnstiles game in and game out. So when we are looking at the prospect of selling this thing (I think $5 is the right price) we need to achieve something rare: you (our faithful supporters) need to want to buy every single issue.

We have tossed some ideas around but if you guys have taught me anything its that you ALSO have good ideas!

So, we can:
- first and foremost make it relevant. current stats, other data
- affordable ($5)
- an education tool (who the heck are we playing? tell us about the other team!)
- some sort of collectible component (some sort of incentive to collect all 18!)

What else?

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM
'Ask Parkdale'

is this replacing the 'FreeKick' MLS magazine? I liked that one.

pekduck
01-12-2010, 01:11 PM
^
$5 book that includes $5 off beer coupon!

edit: or any concession item, for most people who buy beer, it's 'free' and it drives up concession sales (not that it was not high enough, but... it's practical)

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 01:13 PM
- an education tool (who the heck are we playing? tell us about the other team!)

In the MLS ones that we got in the past, there would be reviews on a number of different teams. It's clear that the cover and first few pages were tailored to each team, and then the middle was about the full league. I think it was probably the only place some people would get MLS news on things like ... drafts, new season prospects, superliga etc etc.

It's definitely worth having info about the rest of the league in there too.

pekduck
01-12-2010, 01:13 PM
^
collectible item would drive up cost, depending on what it is, stuff like collectible cards of good quality or what not

pekduck
01-12-2010, 01:14 PM
In the MLS ones that we got in the past, there would be reviews on a number of different teams. It's clear that the cover and first few pages were tailored to each team, and then the middle was about the full league. I think it was probably the only place some people would get MLS news on things like ... drafts, new season prospects, superliga etc etc.

i'd have to agree, most people have no idea about the opponents or the league

H Bomb
get a different player to personally sign 10,000 each week, every week. And only make 10,000. Donezees.

mlsintoronto
is this replacing the 'FreeKick' MLS magazine? I liked that one.

That will be maintained. only 4 issues per year I think. what i'm suggesting will be higher quality, more relevant. Some (not all) content will change week to week...the cover and a substantial portion will change game to game.

TOBOR !
randomly autographed copies (for giveaways) ?

TOBOR !
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
get a different player to personally sign 10,000 each week, every week. And only make 10,000. Donezees.

bah ! (but 10,000 copies ? seriously ? They wouldn't be able to play on Saturday !).

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 01:17 PM
That will be maintained. only 4 issues per year I think. what i'm suggesting will be higher quality, more relevant. Some (not all) content will change week to week...the cover and a substantial portion will change game to game.

what size are you thinking?

by 'higher quality' I take it you mean bigger than the 'pocket size' of the MLS one?

$5 is a very fair price (people wont throw a $5 item like they might throw a free one)

but then again..... we did hear of $5 beers way back when.... :D

Technorgasm
01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
a fiver is totally reasonable considering what a game day program costs for the Jays / Argos.

content suggestions:

- home + visitor player bios. including stats, former clubs / career
- Vs stats and match schedule
- Player / management interviews (especially with Paul b! haha)
- Fan contests / promotional dirves for TFC merch.
- Managemtn and SCOUTING news from Mo
- sponsored fan pics / Supporter images
- discounts with TFC affiliated organizations.
- TFC charitable info
- Hot babes of TFC suppliment HAHA

ya know. . good neato stuff like that.

great initiative. I will fully support it.

stugautz
01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm not the program buying type. But some weeks it would be good to know who the key players for our opponents are so I have time to think of things to heckle them with.

Pigfynn
A player sticker in each issue for the kids....and me ;)

maybe a corresponding sticker book/team sheet thingy to put them in???

Snowy
+1 on the hot babes of TFC!!

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
oh, and make sure to keep the people selling them there AFTER the match.

I don't think I'd ever buy something before the game.

Pigfynn
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Make each issue have a ________ in it and if you have all 15 at the end of the year you get a free___________

jabbronies
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
bah ! (but 10,000 copies ? seriously ? They wouldn't be able to play on Saturday !).

Start signing them covers bitches!!!

- Get to know our players! Maybe have an in depth look at a different player each issue with a mini poster pull-out of that player.

- Training tip from the coaching staff. Something they can work on from our training staff

- A look at the SSS around the league. Maybe 1 stadium per issue (won't last for 18 issues, but it can be filler for every second issue)

- Big Glossy action photos.

- Rule book highlighting some of the major rules of the game (for the tourists)

- "Supporters Song Book" brought to you by the Red Patch Boys.

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Make each issue have a ________ in it and if you have all 15 at the end of the year you get a free___________

they could divide a photo into 15 back covers that would then make a poster for the kids.

http://stewf.blogs.com/stewflog/images/golden-ticket.jpg

^ I want a golden ticket!

jabbronies
01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
+1 on the hot babes of TFC!!

+2

Instead of a "Sunshine Girl" you can call her a "Grass Babe"

Suds
01-12-2010, 01:26 PM

Many people have asked us over the first three seasons to come up with a relevant game day program - like you see at the other sports in Toronto, and perhaps more importantly - like you see in other footballing cultures. We're looking at giving it a go next season I think, with the help of a local publisher.

The economics (not the only reason to do things I know, but important!) are difficult to wrap our heads around for one key reason: unlike the other sports in Toronto, our Season Seat Holders come to almost every game. That means it is the same 16,000 people coming through the turnstiles game in and game out. So when we are looking at the prospect of selling this thing (I think $5 is the right price) we need to achieve something rare: you (our faithful supporters) need to want to buy every single issue.

We have tossed some ideas around but if you guys have taught me anything its that you ALSO have good ideas!

So, we can:
- affordable ($5)
- some sort of collectible component (some sort of incentive to collect all 18!)

What else?

off the top of my head:
- Academy info. I like hearing about how the kids are doing and their development.
- if it can be worked into the cost, how about some program sale proceeds going to TFC selected charities or local soccer groups? (that may drive up the cost though)
- a player profile each issue: fans want to identify with these guys so knowing more about each player helps ... so along the idea of making it collectible, have the cover of each issue have the player's pic as the main cover photo (kind of like season tickets were)

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
hmmm... serious though here for a second.....

There should be some connection to Canada (either current or historical).
I know that not all TFC supporters (well, SSH) are Canada Supporters,
but a page of history could go a long way towards getting people interested.

Plus with Vancouver and Montreal coming into the league before long,
it might help keep some people as TFC fans once there's other options.

TFC Cityboy
01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Really happy to hear of this possibility as the lack of matchday program has been a lacking element in the matchday experience.
Suggestions for content in no particular order
-Coach's column- written the week of the match for relevence
-photos from recent matches
-news of the academy results
-player profiles
-supporter-generated content- pics of supporters wearing TFC gear overseas, birthday greetings
-listing of where to find which food items in the ground
-supporters group contact information and activities - this may be tricky.I'm basing it on "official" supporters clubs overseas.
-league tables
-info on that day's opposition/scouting report - maybe a cut-out and keep pic of Schellotto/Landycakes -toilet-bowl sized!! :) (ok...kind of kidding there!)
- upcoming away games - perhaps suggested driving directions for closer destinations?

Just some ideas there, randomly.

Cheers!

Shway
01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
-give the up & coming (reference to the academy players) a feature
-incorporate something to do with the fans, whether its a fan design, or about the fan
-make a subscription available
-tfc merchandise give-aways

WOW...my post took to long

Suds
01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
R
-Coach's column- written the week of the match for relevence

Cheers!

I like that idea

Also, along the same vein but for the educational side of things. Maybe a column by TFC coaches on practice drills, formations, set pieces, etc. Things that kids and coaches that attend games would find interesting to read/learn.

mlsintoronto
01-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Yawn...nothing new here...we thought of everything you're saying....

I Kid! - great stuff - keep it coming!

H Bomb
01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I really dont care about the getting to know the players thing, not interested in their lives outside the pitch at all, so please keep it footy related...and stop asking them what food they like. They're footballers, as long as they play football well wearing Red i'm happy. However the sticker idea was good! I could put them on my guitar hero guitars, or I guess kids would like them too. What you really need to do is create a simple unique program for each game, with tidbits for all ages and a kick ass cover. Cover will be important cause if it looks good people will hold onto it for prosperity. Outside of this you should hire one person to do 1-2 specific TFC articles a week (growing academy/players learning NA game/etc), a weekly interview with Mo / Preki with actual information in it (you know how Mo is) and a detailed rundown of the opposition preferably with a blurb in it from their manager/star about us. You'd get a 5'er for that.

oh yeah, and hire me to be the person that does all the work on it....I'll do it as an internship if ya like, i promise

TOBOR !
01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
hmmm... serious though here for a second.....

There should be some connection to Canada (either current or historical).

+1

present day and historical. get the kids to learn about the history of the game in this country.

Also, how about a Where are they Now ? feature. This Day in History, perhaps...

Maybe some local history as well - Toronto Metros, Croatia, Blizzard.

Some NASL stuff (the old one, not the new one).

Prattling on, it might be beneficial if you could devote some space to the league structure in Canada and North America.

TOBOR !
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
... and while you're in this thread, maybe a mention of when people will be able to cash their TFC gift cards in at BMO, rather than having to slog over to the ACC for no good reason other than to look at their poor selection of tat.

Klinsmann
01-12-2010, 01:42 PM
^
collectible item would drive up cost, depending on what it is, stuff like collectible cards of good quality or what not

I like the idea of a collectible card with each program.
I'd buy them all!

http://www.canadasoccer.com/images/collect/so2009_Canada_GC__10www.jpg

Miko
01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
A lot of teams make the programs available as a subscription and also you can get a binder to keep them all in.

Like this...

http://onlinestore.arsenal.com/content/ebiz/afc/invt/14020/s_14020.jpg

Daveisonfire
01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Who's the publisher?
I'm looking for an internship:o

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Yawn...nothing new here...we thought of everything you're saying....

I Kid! - great stuff - keep it coming!

get Asif to write something inflammatory every issue!
Call it 'Supporters Corner'.

:D

Hi Asif, we know you're reading!

Gobi
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM

- Get to know our players! Maybe have an in depth look at a different player each issue with a mini poster pull-out of that player.

- Training tip from the coaching staff. Something they can work on from our training staff

- A look at the SSS around the league. Maybe 1 stadium per issue (won't last for 18 issues, but it can be filler for every second issue)

- Big Glossy action photos.

- Rule book highlighting some of the major rules of the game (for the tourists)

I love these ideas.

Also, how about a Where are they Now ? feature. This Day in History, perhaps...

Also brilliant.
Build the legacy from the early stages.
"This Day in History" could be pan-league or pan-sport for now, but as the TFC legacy grows, so will the snippets of historical trivia.
I can't wait to read that with my kids in 10-15 years! (And brag that I was there, hehehe.)

CoachGT
01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
You need to have the game day rosters for sure. If you miss the liston the scoreboard before the game, sometimes you don't know who is availableon the bench.

I may get lynched for this, but...... put some of the chant lyrics there! (Edit, okay, already here!)

And try to do something like FourFourTwo - have a player give his starting XI (the best he's played with or against) and why he chose the players he chose. Maybe a couple of them in each issue.

And a few full colour shots of the supporters during games.

Mark in Ottawa
01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi Paul... Would it be possible to somehow roll a 50/50 ticket into the magazine?

If the people who currently buy the 50/50's get a little extra along with that purchase it might help the sales of both entities.

If not aligned with the 50/50 then maybe some sort of giveaway associated with the game day program.... as long as it was not Marlie tickets :rolleyes:

boban
01-12-2010, 02:00 PM
- a player profile each issue: fans want to identify with these guys so knowing more about each player helps ... so along the idea of making it collectible, have the cover of each issue have the player's pic as the main cover photo (kind of like season tickets were)
In the same idea, really get into the player being profiled. Where he went t school, how and where did he start playing the game, family info, maybe something overcome in personal life, etc. Not just a 2 paragraph blurb.

There are some real good ideas here. I like the coaches corner. Add a training drill element to it for coaches to pick up some new tips.

mlsintoronto
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
You need to have the game day rosters for sure. If you miss the liston the scoreboard before the game, sometimes you don't know who is availableon the bench.

We will certainly do this but it will only amount to an educated guess. We'd probably have a 90% degree of accuracy...

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 02:04 PM
We'd probably have a 90% degree of accuracy...

I wish our strikers had that high a percentage.

JonO
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM

If I can pick up one after the match I will. Rarely do I want to have to bother carrying something extra around for the whole match - depends where I'm sitting for the game, I guess ;)

Cover will be important cause if it looks good people will hold onto it for prosperity.
I think you mean posterity...

sully
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I’m pleased this will finally to on offer. I always thought it was something that was missing.

Some thoughts: Apart from the team line-ups and short players’ bios, for both teams, it could include:

- Background info on the opponents for the day
- Training notes for the week-past
- Articles on topical league related issues, such as ongoing developments for more soccer-specific stadiums, or developments in the league office etc.
- A segment on a wider topic related to world football, e.g. major player transfers, round-up of football around the world…EPL, La Liga etc.
- Perhaps the Supporters Groups could have a contributing article or even an ‘announcement’ page for the Supporters Groups.
- Interviews with players

JonO
01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
We will certainly do this but it will only amount to an educated guess. We'd probably have a 90% degree of accuracy...
Would it be worth considering adding a loose piece of paper on gameday which lists changes to the roster printed in the program?

Suds
01-12-2010, 02:07 PM

I this because MoJo doesn't tell you or Preki who's playing until the last minute??? :D :hide:

:leaving:

flatpicker
01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Lot's of good suggestions in here.

I really do like the idea of having some "collectible" component to the magazine.
Mainly because I don't think people will necessarily be snatching these up the way they do at hockey games.
So a little extra incentive is good.
Even the suggestion of having a concessions discount in the magazine is good.
It will encourage people to buy the magazine, and encourage people to buy food...
And you know they are going to spend more than the $4 coupon, or whatever amount it is.

I also like the Historical component idea.
There could be a little history lesson on Canadian soccer in each issue.
Obviously this is something that can be written up well in advance, fills pages, is interesting and educational.

H Bomb
01-12-2010, 02:12 PM
I think you mean posterity...

oh no no no, i was simply referring to resale value :D

or maybe ya got me on that one

JonO
01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
sorry - can't help it....:o

Always There
01-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Lots of great suggestions.

I think information is a definite theme. It's always nice to learn about the opposition and it's nice to get more personal info about TFC players. Straight up stats and facts are good too.

A couple of my friends are big collectors. If you put a different poster in each issue or a pin, or something like that, they'll buy it.

I like contests. If you have the opportunity to win something through some sort of game or creating a caption to a picture or even dumb luck, I'm into it.

I love photography. If you have nice pictures in the magazine, possibly even some submitted by supporters, I might be into that also.

I like the idea. I can't say that I'd be a regular but I'm positive my friend would be100%.

TOBOR !
01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
How about a 'Football around the World' bit. You could have picture of little Dutch kids playing with clogs on... and while I'm here, have you given any thought to ever being able to spend those TFC gift cards at BMO ? I only ask because blah, blah, blah...

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 02:33 PM
how about some kind of punch out models?

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/01/02/air-mail.jpg

I promise not to throw it.

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 02:34 PM
If you put a different poster in each issue or a pin, or something like that, they'll buy it.

^ nothing that raises the cost though. $5 is the perfect price.

How about a 'Football around the World' bit. You could have picture of little Dutch kids playing with clogs on...

^ nothing like stereotypes based on nationality to liven the thing up!

flambe
01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
*Coaches game notes for the layman.
*Captains game notes for the layman.
*Who to look out for in the opposition and how our players will try and cope with that.
*Pull-out poster
*Supporter section - maybe a supporter profile?
*Contests

etc

H Bomb
01-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Nothing against anyone who does, but i really dont like the idea of a supporter profiles, or anything to do with us really. It'd be lame and forced like everything else thats been done relating to fans...just wanted the opposing opinion to be aired.

flatpicker
01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Nothing against anyone who does, but i really dont like the idea of a supporter profiles, or anything to do with us really. It'd be lame and forced like everything else thats been done relating to fans...just wanted the opposing opinion to be aired.

I'll support your no supporter opinion.

There have been enough accusations in the past about supporters being a part of the marketing machine for TFC.
No need to add fuel to the fire.

JonO
01-12-2010, 02:47 PM
^^ Shut it - I could use the additional revenue, thank you very much

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Agreed.

Keep it coach / team / league / stats based.

anything supporter related would just look like that terrible Jack Astors TFC Eye for the lame guy promo.

also, can you stop them from doing that?

pekduck
01-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Agreed.

anything supporter related would just look like that terrible Jack Astors TFC Eye for the lame guy promo.

Seconded

Can't they come up with better promo. Or they have to live up to the jack ass inside the brand?

H Bomb
01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Actually, One game this year Paul, only one game, please have a nothing during the break game. Where you just leave us alone for 15 minutes so we can talk to each other and not have any fools knocking pizza boxes over poorly. Please, leave us alone, please, for one game, just do nothing during half time. And if the response would have anything to do with sponsorship requirements then maybe you should just not respond :D

TorCanSoc
01-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I'd buy them all!

+1 Shamelessly I am an owned souvenier whore. I collect anything TFC related.

Oldtimer
01-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Cardboard TFC visors for sunny days for the kids!

CoachGT
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM

I'd take that. It's better than the 3-5% accuracy of asking people nearby. (Note - I'm in a prawn section)

Hitcho
01-12-2010, 03:23 PM
- Definitely agree with the suggestions to keep the content focussed on info re the game and teams and league. Could not give a monkey's about random supporters being profiled or what is going on in The Netherlands.

- Definitely would like to see freshly written notes from the coach AND captain for each issue, which deal with the game, what happened last week, the situation the team is in at that point of the season, etc - ie, topical, interesting, fact based stuff.

- i'd be ok with a player profile each week, but KEEP IT FOOTBALL RELATED. No-one cares what players wear at home or what is in their CD player. These guys are not national stars, they are known only to TFC fans, and TFC fans only care about the club and the game, not favourite meals.

- a feature piece each week on the TFC Academy, laying down the grass, or other club related items would also be a good idea. but again, keep it football related. Doesn't have to be TFC actually, could be an interesting feature on what another MLS club is up to.

- DO NOT, under any circumstances, let Asif anywhere near the programmes. Don't even let him sell them. It's nothing personal (he used to be my ticket rep in fact) but seriously, keep him away. I would stop buying them on principle if he is writing in them, his stuff is just terrible and he's already managed to get himself a bad (in terms of the quality of his writing) rep with supporters, which is quite an achievement in the time frame.

- I would be against the collectible idea. To me, each one would be collectible just because it has the date and match info on the front. there's no need to add something that will just have people offering stupid amounts of money for these things further down the line. Because if you do that, you'll get people buying them up just for resale, especially for the first few issues, and that would mean some genuine fans could not get any inaugural issues and you'd have scalpers in the programme world. The programmes will be collectible in and of themselves just because of what they are. PLEASE do not add artifical value to them. TFC memorabilia already has its own inflated market, no need to add to it. And on that note, please make like 30,000 for the first game. Or at elast make enough that you are confident you will not sell out. After week one, print what you think is right, but please give everyone the chance to own a first issue program. Thanks.

- Risking a paddlin here, but I would definitely be on board with printing the words to a TFC chant or song in each edition. not to try and artifically spread the fandom - people will only join in if they want to anyway - but to solve the issue of people wanting to join in but not being able to because they cannot quite catch the words from where they sit. BMO Field is noted for its atmosphere. This would be a way of helping it grow. And I stress helping, not artifically propping up.

- $5 price seems good, as long as the content is worth it. Personally if the coach and captain notes are done properly, and there's a decent cover with date and match day info, then I'd pay $5 just for that each week.

- agreed on selling these on the way out. Station people on the gates or just outside them to avoid blocking the people flow but keep them available as people are elaving the stadium. No-one in the south end wants to be holding on to these things durnig the game. SO sell them before AND after the game. You'll significantly increase sales (see what I did there?).

- i'd suggest NOT selling them at concessions stands - the line ups there are already out of control. for the same reason, don't put concession vouchers in there. if the only reason you're buying the program is to get a cheap hotdog, you probably don't want to be buying it to begin with. if you're buying it for other reasons, you don't need a concessions voucher! My one concession on this concession issue is that you can profile the various food items available at BMO and where to get them (ie, which bit of the stadium).

Glad to hear this is being seriously considered Paul, nice one.

Hitcho
01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Would it be worth considering adding a loose piece of paper on gameday which lists changes to the roster printed in the program?

NO!!! These would end up littered all over the place and you know with 100% certainty that they will end up as paper planes and be sent down onto the pitch.

Ok, I admit that part of me would like to see it happen en masse if De Ro scores an extra magical goal one week, but it would be abused on a weekly basis and that would get very tiring very quickly.

Two words - seat cushions. That should convince the FO team ont his one...

TOBOR !
01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
How about a 'spot the ball' and/or crossword / word search, with answers printed upside-down inside the back cover ?

mlsintoronto
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
How about a 'spot the ball' and/or crossword / word search, with answers printed upside-down inside the back cover ?

cue Homer Simpson voice: "OOOOoooh! upsidey downey answers!

james
01-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Id like to see team rosters, update TFC trainning and coaching. Feature a TFC player each program from TFC. Also update what other teams are up to, alot of people dont know anything about other teams in the League. Also keep up to date players who are moving to play in Europe, or players in Europe who might come here to play.

As supporters i would also like it if every program they could talk about what Red Patch Boys/ usec/ North End Elite are up to, such as Tifos, raising money for breast cancer, up comming road trips fans could be a part of and also songs that suppoertes sing. Also id like to see maybe pictures of supporters around the league, i always like to see what other supporters are up to so we can see what we gotta do to stay amongst the best supporters in the league. Pictures like these:

Chicago Fire
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/ChicagoFans2.jpghttp://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/ChicagoFirefans.jpg

DC United
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/DCUnitedFans.jpg

Seattle
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/scarvesup450jpg.jpg

Chivas
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/ChivasUSA.jpg

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
I'd rather they left us out of it. Focus on the roster, the staff, and the league.

Darlofletch
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
I think any of my serious thoughts have already been mentioned, so I've got three words for you.

Rollin' with Ricketts!

He's got to be getting a bit desperate now you'd think, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to maximise his brand awareness or whatever he calls it.

And in the realm of half time entertainment, I agree with no more lame corporate promos (though if half time is necessary to keep all the "yellowtail yellow card" type crap out of the game itself, then fair enough).

I'd like to see a year long competition, pick 16 random local schools, grade 3 or 4 age roughly, and have them have a penalty shoot-out competition in fornt of the south end, winner moves on to the next round, 8 matchups, then 4 then 2 then 1= 15, perfect, grand final at the home closer. Will the fans cheer? will they mock mercilessly? who knows.

BakaGaijin
01-12-2010, 04:04 PM
You could do some kind of TFC themed "Scarfs around the world" or "Kits around the world". You solicit supporters to send in pictures of themselves wearing their scarfs or kits from exotic location around the world.

The ones that get printed in the programme could get $50 merch vouchers.

I would also like to see some info about Canadian soccer. Perhaps you could get some of the folks from Inside Soccer to write some articles.

TFC07
01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
But is TFC going to set up their own version of "Raptors space" website?

james
01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
i just saw this pic, Columbus away in Mexico, had to show this

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/Columbusawayfans.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
You could do some kind of TFC themed "Scarfs around the world" or "Kits around the world". You solicit supporters to send in pictures of themselves wearing their scarfs or kits from exotic location around the world.

hahaha.... like the one in our multimedia section?

BakaGaijin
01-12-2010, 04:34 PM
hahaha.... like the one in our multimedia section?

That was the thinking.........

Red CB Toronto
01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Paul,

I was reading your post, regarding the notion of doing a proper program for each TFC game in 2010. I think this would be a great idea as you could inform a fan base that in many ways is still learning about the sport. In many ways I am still learning about the sport of soccer or should I say football having only really started to follow it since the birth of the Reds. I have gained such an appreciation for it that I spent a few weeks in Europe last year attending of some world’s best teams games such as Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid. Most game programs in England are three pounds, so $5.00 would be reasonable.

As the Director of Communications of the International Bowl in addition to being a TFC season ticket holder I appreciate what a good program can do in spreading the word of your team and being a source of information to your fan and supporter base. I think keeping them informed with well thought out information can go a long way in building your brand. It is also important to build awarrness of the oppoenet, the more the care about who they are playing, the more people will care about TFC.

In thinking about the idea of such a game day magazine for Toronto FC, I started to think about what information would be important to those attending the game. With our program for the International Bowl, we had five two pages articles in it pertaining directly to the game and the events surrounding it. Of the 64 pages we only had two produce the 10 pages I mentioned, the rest of it was all dropped it from other sources.

I do not know how many pages you plan but for each issue I would have the following.

2 page Game preview with an in-depth article with an emphasis on introducing the opponent accompanied by photos, this could be written by say one of your media personalities from GOL etc. Someone with knowledge.
A profile of a current TFC player, more importantly some new to the team as I am sure there will be some new faces in 2010.
Profile a player from the visiting team, many people attending TFC games still really do not know much about the teams and players in the MLS outside of Toronto.
The world abroad, profile a former TFC player playing overseas, maybe doing an interview that has them look back at their time in Toronto. Also include a list of former Reds and where they are currently playing. You could also preview the current events from teams around the world.
A look at the current happening surrounding the Academy, game recaps, player profiles etc. I think it is important to build awareness for your youth development.
A thing I really liked about programs in England was the back cover was the roster page, it made it very easy to get to if needed. Chelsea’s program for example was 76 pages, so if you had the ads to support it that would be nice, the actually size of it was nice, not as big as the one you typically get at a Leafs or Raptors game. Try and get your hands on one if you can.
TFC in the community, building a profile for what the team is doing and help build awareness for it.
Supporters Corner, profile what the supporters clubs currently have going on such as fundraising events in the community, their road travels etc.

In terms of making it a collectable, there a few ways to do that, you could include a collectable card, make it say 5x7. bigger than that typical trading card and have the player who is on it each game do a post game autograph signing, that way people will want to buy it each and every game. We did this with the game programs when I was with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Another idea would be to have a coupon included with each program and at the end of the season you could redeem all 18 for a special TFC collectable to honour your ongoing support by coming to all the games. The only problem I see with this is that quite a few people go every week compared to say the Leafs and Raptors. The Blue Jays did an incentive program and the highest prize was if you attended 75 or more games during the regular season, I really wonder how many of those were redeemed for.

Red Patch CA
01-12-2010, 04:47 PM
3D glasses
Foldout cardboard seat cushions
Foldout tifo
Cardboard fries...maybe not, would reduce concession sales

More seriously...national teams news since we will see more of them at BMO with grass.

I could see this as a template for future Canadian MLS teams and an opportunity for national sponsors. Hate to see ads for supporting USSF and companies with no presence in Canada.

jabbronies
01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
In terms of making it a collectable, there a few ways to do that, you could include a collectable card, make it say 5x7. bigger than that typical trading card and have the player who is on it each game do a post game autograph signing, that way people will want to buy it each and every game. We did this with the game programs when I was with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Make the card one of those cool ass Upper Deck jersey Insert cards. You know the one that has a piece of the players jersey.
And when you collect all 18 pieces, it makes a full jersey that you can wear! (kidding about the last part)

But anyways, I don't think it should be just a plain ol piece of cardboard trading card, those are so 1992. Make it a proper insert card.

Parkdale
01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
oh oh....

a design contest for the upcoming 'Supporters Gate'

:hide:

mlsintoronto
01-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Hate to see ads for supporting USSF and companies with no presence in Canada.

AMEN Brother!

Petor
01-12-2010, 05:02 PM
How about having the back of it solid TFC red and a coupon for a discount on TFC scarves attached with that sticky gummy stuff thats removeable. Anyone who dosen't have a scarf can hold it up during the anthem.
Should help out the newbies plus anything to make it "redder" during the anthem is a bonus.

Red CB Toronto
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
AMEN Brother!
That is the reality of being part of what for the most part is a US League. The ads are being bought so they will be seen on such broadcasts as ESPN.

Red CB Toronto
01-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Make the card one of those cool ass Upper Deck jersey Insert cards. You know the one that has a piece of the players jersey.
And when you collect all 18 pieces, it makes a full jersey that you can wear! (kidding about the last part)

But anyways, I don't think it should be just a plain ol piece of cardboard trading card, those are so 1992. Make it a proper insert card.
That is a good idea, do something cool like that. Maybe you collect the set throughtout the season and at the end you reedem the coupon for a game used card of sorts.

Make it a pack of cards plus a coupon, each coupon would be marked for that game, at the end of the season say the first 5,000 people with all 18 coupons would get this special collectable.

SteeltownBhoy
01-12-2010, 05:41 PM
they could divide a photo into 15 back covers that would then make a poster for the kids.

http://stewf.blogs.com/stewflog/images/golden-ticket.jpg

^ I want a golden ticket!

The poster idea is great, $5 is also more then reasonable.

BakaGaijin
01-12-2010, 05:44 PM
That is a good idea, do something cool like that. Maybe you collect the set throughtout the season and at the end you reedem the coupon for a game used card of sorts.

Make it a pack of cards plus a coupon, each coupon would be marked for that game, at the end of the season say the first 5,000 people with all 18 coupons would get this special collectable.

Any sort of player card should come with a stale piece of that gum that was used in O-Pee-Chee packs. That stuff was the best!

Waggy
01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Can't believe this board didn't think of this but, how about 3 or 4 of the main chant lyrics/tunes? Obviously TFC can't support 1 SSG over another, but what if all the groups agreed to a few chants? It'll get the lyrics out there, people can at least try and sing along who aren't near the south end or don't read these boards. Also can get kids who aren't in the south end to learn the words. Maybe have 3 or 4 constant ones, then have 1 or 2 'featured' chants per match (check with the SSGs to find out which ones they'd want to focus on that particular week)

Edit: My bad. Didn't notice the other 2 pages of the thread. Thats what i get for posting in class w/o paying attention

flatpicker
01-12-2010, 05:59 PM
^ I think you will find that idea has been mentioned here.

Regardless, it's worth considering.

Super
01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
- Ask a player to write a piece on playing for TFC. You could have a new player for each issue.
- Stats heavy. That's the one thing that is similar in all game day programmes throughout the world.
- Feature a new supporters song every issue.

DOMIN8R
01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Please, please, please..... do not inlcude anything related to SGs including chant lyrics, etc.

We have always had the high ground with regards to not being integrated or assisted in our support by the franchise. Let's keep it that way.

Many in past have suggested that the suport in Seattle, et al. are manufactured by the team ownership (who also provide chant lyrics - to much criticism). Let's not open ourselves up to similar criticism.

pekduck
01-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Please, please, please..... do not inlcude anything related to SGs including chant lyrics, etc.

We have always had the high ground with regards to not being integrated or assisted in our support by the franchise. Let's keep it that way.

Many in past have suggested that the suport in Seattle, et al. are manufactured by the team ownership (who also provide chant lyrics - to much criticism). Let's not open ourselves up to similar criticism.

Seconded

bones
01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
If you'd allow decent camera lenses in I'm sure there's a few of us that would contribute our photos to future programs :)

I do like the idea of a collectible but not a coupon collection for handing in at the end of the year. That would add value to the coupons and generate the need for authenticity etc. Pointless if it costs too much to implement. A good lens can capture game day photos for inserts ;) my bad, already bugged you about that one.

Bones...

Jack
01-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Nice idea here.

I agree with the sentiment that we don't need a "supporter's corner" or anything of the like in this Programme. Really it should be about the team and the players and the league. Though I do like the idea of getting the lyrics to more chants out there, I'm not sure this is the correct vehicle for doing so. If we want to get the chants out there as supporters, than things like our CD from last season and passing out songsheets are still better than this as a medium for "educating the masses".

I think it would be good for this to be something more than just a promotional piece for the team to cram full of advertisements, so a focus on content will be important.

Perhaps having some sort of columnist who is not "in-house" would be nice. Someone who can give us a bit of an analysis of the team and the season while still staying within the bounds would be a good thing. We don't need rah-rah but we also don't need negativity.

An in-depth player profile of one of ours would be good, something with his best footballing memories and moments, his top 11, his favourite team and his picks for the World Cup (would be pertinent this summer).

A profile of our opponents with some history and a look at their key players strengths and weaknesses.

Something on the history of the league (could be tied in with the previous point, I suppose). I've seen magazines show a sort of graphical replay of a great moment in football history, so we could perhaps pick some of the big moments in MLS history and have them drawn out comic-strip style. Building the knowledge of the rest of the league will keep people interested.

Something on the history of Canadian soccer (while we don't have the richest history in the sport, there are some good stories there)

Youth team info and perhaps a profile of the younger up and comers. This will help people get more into the players and the long-term future of the team.

Something collectible.

Something fun (like a contest or a prize for getting the autographed program)

A Fun Facts section (or a Did you Know)

Perhaps something that helps the less knowledgable learn something about the game

Something like the "You are the Ref (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/20/youaretheref-ryan-giggs)" (could be "You are the Coach" I dunno). This could conceivably be combined with the previous point about educating fans.

Perhaps some sort of pro-tip for the young players or a "how-to" with a footballing scenario (represented graphically)

Anyway, there you go, Paul. Free market research and free consulting rolled into one!

The Kingpin will LOVE this thread! :D

TFC Cityboy
A Cathal Kelly column?

;) ;)

TOBOR !
How about download codes for special online content that expires 48 hrs after the game ? I don't know what... Oh, and maybe let us in on when we'll be able to redeem gift cards at BMO. :)

Mark in Ottawa
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
The Kingpin will LOVE this thread! :D
Hey... Where is The Kingpin these days??
He hasn't been around much. He could give us some perspective based on what he saw in England. I wonder what the smaller teams/centres do in this regard?

TFC Cityboy
01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Paul, I assume you guys have some current programmes from teams , say, in the Prem as a template...

Auzzy
01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
NO!!! These would end up littered all over the place and you know with 100% certainty that they will end up as paper planes and be sent down onto the pitch.

Ok, I admit that part of me would like to see it happen en masse if De Ro scores an extra magical goal one week, but it would be abused on a weekly basis and that would get very tiring very quickly.

Two words - seat cushions. That should convince the FO team ont his one...

Just wondering, what's going to prevent the gameday programmes themselves from being flung en masse? If they're the right weight such things make great frisbees. It might be funny once but would get old real fast...

AL-MO
01-12-2010, 07:35 PM
I probably wouldn't buy it, but it would be nice to have a decent available.

mlsintoronto
01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey... Where is The Kingpin these days??
He hasn't been around much. He could give us some perspective based on what he saw in England. I wonder what the smaller teams/centres do in this regard?

I think Kingpin was deemed to be too far away... People don't like arguing a point with someone they can't tell to sod off to his face. So he was replaced with a sh**disturber more locally based: Roogsy.

Sorry Roogsy I couldn't resist. :)

mlsintoronto
01-12-2010, 07:44 PM
How about download codes for special online content that expires 48 hrs after the game ? I don't know what... Oh, and maybe let us in on when we'll be able to redeem gift cards at BMO. :)

I'm sensing you're trying to tell me something...come on...out with it!

Are u sitting on some gift card $? Can I help u spend it?

GhostKiller
01-12-2010, 08:13 PM
song book

TOBOR !
01-12-2010, 08:21 PM

GAH ! Why must you mock me ?!

You can help me spend it if it's at BMO.

greatwhitenorf
01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Hopefully the program publisher is Core Media. I think they still do the Rock's programs, not sure about the Leafs or Raptors. They used to do very good quality Leafs programs. Still have many of the ones bought during games at Maple Leaf Gardens that featured covers with the visiting teams star players.

Hard to hype the Leafs most years, so they simply hyped the game. Not a bad approach if TFC don't find success soon.

Pigfynn
01-12-2010, 09:08 PM

Paul, in all seriousness man...do you not want our money? I would have received at least $100 maybe $200 worth of these cards this year at Christmas if I wouldn't have told everyone not to bother because I can't use them at BMO and it's too big a pain to make a special trip to the ACC. I DON'T LIVE IN TORONTO!!!!!!!! ...wow that felt good :)

prizby
01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
my thought is that if im in supporters section im paying what $19/game...now if im paying $5 more for a program every game, thats like saying 20% of my cost of attending the game is from buying this program (its an additional 25% cost, depending on which way you look at it)

I know saying $5 isn't a lot-its the same cost as NBA/NHL/MLB - Toronto based teams programs, but when you look it as a cost of your game day enjoyment in relative terms to the cost of the ticket, financially speaking, it does not make sense to me because I cannot see a prograe adding $5 worth of value to my enjoyment of the game (20% of my entertainment at the game)

(personally, i will probably by one and if it catches my interest, i find it interesting, then yes, i'll keep buying it, but if its like the one's that are offered at Blue Jays, Leafs, Raptors games, I'll take a pass)

Here is why:

TOO MUCH ADVERTISING...i don't care to spend 5 dollars on a programme when half the pages are filled with beer, shoes, sporting equipment ads...there is way too much filler in these programs, the text writing is a ton bigger than normal magazines, and I, the consumer, feel ripped off when buying the programme...I am in a sports administration program for school, and this is a conversation that has come up in class before and the general consensus of the class is what i just said above and the only way anyone would consider buying it is if it is a one time thing, like a momentum - it is something that people would be interested in buying as a one time consumer. Paul, I would be interested if you/MLSE have any market research on programs (based on what consumers perceive the value) - my general feeling is that programs could be doing a lot better and I don't think programs bring much or any profit to MLSE ...i could be wrong, but the only time I have ever bought a program was on a road trip - a memento of where I have been.

my two cents, for what its worth

TOBOR !
01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
^ Paul will now continue to ignore this issue.

James17930
01-12-2010, 09:17 PM
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was a Tim90 post :)

colman1860
01-12-2010, 09:26 PM
A centrefold poster (not the usual meaning of centrefold...a different player each week, hopefully not nude)

Hitcho
01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I just want to reiterate my earlier point about collectibles. I think it's a great idea, but make sure there are enough programs produced so that the items become "collectible" in the sense that there is a collection of things to put together, and not "collectible" in the sense that they are rare because not enough were produced for the fans who wanted them. Maybe make some available by mail order or for pick up at the ACC after game day each week? That might not work, but I think the "don't give the rare item scalpers a free sniff here" point is a good one. Do this FOR the fans, not to make money from them. /rant :D

One clear message from this thread - people won't buy the programs if they are not content worthy.

That said, the ads don't bother me as long as there is plenty of good content as well. If the content is there and the ads pay for the production or keep the costs down, that's fine by me. If it's ads and crap, forget about it.

Paul - when you start this, keep the focus football news and info only on TFC and MLS. Then try adding in other stuff and see how it's received. That way, you'll always have a good base of material and you can build it up by trial and error. If you go out on a whim and throw in stuff someone in the FO thinks is a good idea but no-one else does, then the idea might tank before it ever takes off. The key is to make the first few good so you get people buying them, and then experiment.

ArmenJBX
01-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Dont forget to give us updates on the academy team/youth players.

RedsYNWA
01-12-2010, 11:27 PM
No Filler!!!!!!!! I do not want more than 20% of the pages filled with Pizza ads and Kia and other crap please NO FILLER

Always There
01-12-2010, 11:50 PM
^ nothing that raises the cost though. $5 is the perfect price.

^ nothing like stereotypes based on nationality to liven the thing up!

I agree.

rocker
01-13-2010, 12:02 AM
I'd buy them all!

yes, please include cards like that.... or this:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/card.jpg

Huyton
01-13-2010, 07:32 AM
I'd like the program to be free entry to the next Reserve/Youth/Academy game.

Actually, I'd really like it if a Reserve/Youth/Academy game was held at BMO after the MLS match. I'd buy a beer (or two) from the good people at the north end, and watch the game from there.

flatpicker
01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was a Tim90 post :)

You and me both!

I'm surprised he isn't here delivering pearls of wisdom.

deltox
01-13-2010, 08:09 AM
the game day program could mention away games that are coming up that fans are travelling to. it could include contact info for buses and the other teams FO for ticket info.. maybe even direct fans to the supporters boards for away trips?

flatpicker
01-13-2010, 08:18 AM
the game day program could mention away games that are coming up that fans are travelling to. it could include contact info for buses and the other teams FO for ticket info.. maybe even direct fans to the supporters boards for away trips?

That's actually kind of interesting.

I said in here that I'm not in favour of the mag directly promoting supporter groups,
but letting people know of how they might be able to travel to watch TFC play isn't a bad idea.

koryo
01-13-2010, 09:06 AM
A Cathal Kelly column?

;) ;)

I don't think writing about what European man purse he's going to buy would really fit in with a game-day programme.

106-12
01-13-2010, 09:15 AM
it will not work if you don't open the gates atleast 90 min before the game starts so people have time to walk around and check things out . when the gates open every body is rushing in to get beer ,fast trip to the washroom , line for cash at the ATM and get to thier seats .no time for any thing else.

Jack
01-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Unfortunately, that's not something we could do.

Our trips have to be for members of the group only, due to Ontario travel agency laws. If people are not official members of the group, they have to find their travel arrangements on their own.

CoachGT
01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I'd like the program to be free entry to the next Reserve/Youth/Academy game.

Actually, I'd really like it if a Reserve/Youth/Academy game was held at BMO after the MLS match. I'd buy a beer (or two) from the good people at the north end, and watch the game from there.

This is a good idea!

And to reiterate comments made earlier (and I know you are onside with this, mlsintoronto) Canadian based stuff, as opposed to ads for the AYSO and USSF. Talk about the efforts to get the Canadian teams into Olympic soccer; a view from Stephen Hart; even look at organizations like Canadian Athletes Now (to the RPB out there - if you haven't donated to them, consider it).

GingerNinja
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM

YES!!!!
I will not buy a collectible program on my way into jumping around in the beer splashed bunker.

TOBOR !
01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
add to all this local content along the lines of what's going on in the OSA with some information on regional leagues and tournaments. Maybe a featured amateur local league - a bit of background/history - stats/tables/schedule.

... and then a blurb or something about future plans for accepting TFC gift cards at BMO !

romburgundy
01-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Include 1 fifty fifty draw ticket

Parkdale
01-13-2010, 10:58 AM
oh...

TFC ACADEMY updates (and schedule and ticket info)

BuSaPuNk
01-13-2010, 11:05 AM
oh...

That would be great. I've always wondered why they did have the acadamy play at BMO like the reserves used to after the reserve leauge was dumped. Have them play like either after the game, or you can solve two problems at once and have them play before the game. Open the gates up early for the Academy game charge $2 or $5 or something. Or even have people selling the program outside the stadium and you get into the Academy game with the purchase of the program.

Parkdale
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
That would be great. I've always wondered why they did have the acadamy play at BMO like the reserves used to after the reserve leauge was dumped. Have them play like either after the game, or you can solve two problems at once and have them play before the game. Open the gates up early for the Academy game charge $2 or $5 or something. Or even have people selling the program outside the stadium and you get into the Academy game with the purchase of the program.

the academy plays in the CSL, and they set the schedule. It's not like TFC can say 'you'll be playing at 4:00pm, at BMO, after the TFC game' when it's not their league to run.

Shway
01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
that idea is good, however, no academy teams every get to play in the First team stadiums. Lamport is perfect for them.

What they do need to do is to have the academy team to have the "SAME" kits, and be called the Toronto FC Academy and not the TFC Academy

but hey whos nitt picking

BuSaPuNk
01-13-2010, 11:18 AM
the academy plays in the CSL, and they set the schedule. It's not like TFC can say 'you'll be playing at 4:00pm, at BMO, after the TFC game' when it's not their league to run.

Mabey they can work something out with the CSL in terms of schedualing some games at BMO like in the middle of the summer. I'm sure if TFC made it worthwhile to the CSL with financial kickbacks they would move games.

Roogsy
01-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I think Kingpin was deemed to be too far away... People don't like arguing a point with someone they can't tell to sod off to his face. So he was replaced with a sh**disturber more locally based: Roogsy.

Sorry Roogsy I couldn't resist. :)

:lol:

You love me, you just can't bring yourself to admit it.

CoachGT
01-13-2010, 11:37 AM

Especially if the prize is like those at the World Juniors! $100K + !!!!!!!!!

Suds
01-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Mabey they can work something out with the CSL in terms of schedualing some games at BMO like in the middle of the summer. I'm sure if TFC made it worthwhile to the CSL with financial kickbacks they would move games.

I'd like to see more of the kids at BMO also. However, in addition to what Parky pointed out, there is also a cost factor involved in playing at BMO. It requires much more staff, security, etc. My guess is that's just not in the budget.

But to your point, even a couple games during the summer would be great if they could swing it.

BuSaPuNk
01-13-2010, 12:02 PM
^ I don't know how much more security you would need. Probably just have the usual security that is there on a game day but start them a little earlier. Same with the consessions people. Sure added cost having them start early but they also would be making more with added time for consessions being purchased and added revenue with people coming in to watch the game. Through program purchase or paying at the box office.

MUFC_Niagara
01-13-2010, 12:38 PM

Good point, i'd like to collect them all and have them in good shape. It's tough to do that when you have to carry it around all game.

Also, one thing thats nice in the United Review is Fergie addresses the fans at the start of the program. Basically just says how the club is doing, the players, injury updates, how training has been going, etc. It might be nice to have a "Preki's notes" section, or something to the effect at the start of each program.

rocker
01-13-2010, 12:38 PM
i think it would cost a lot more, so i can understand the hesitancy.

i see a lot of the part timers employees (concessions) showing up just before they have to and leaving immediately after the game to catch the go train home.

who knows how that may screw up some part time kid's schedule or whether they'd like to stick around.

I remember hardly anyone showing up for reserve games in 2007. I stayed, but it was a ghost town. I'm also not sure how much more concessions people would purchase during those games. I'm not gonna down another hotdog after having one during the TFC game. And you wouldn't be selling beer.

I'm sure they think of these things and if it could make money, they'd do it. but it probably doesn't. Plus now we have the grass to protect.

TFC John
01-13-2010, 12:44 PM
I like many of the ideas already posted. However, I am very unlikely to read a program at the game. I would read it through the week leading up to the next game. So please include a page that looks forward to the next game and the next team we will face. I'd also like to read a short blurb about the other match-ups on the same weekend with a view on how they might impact TFC. Finally I'd like a short trivia quiz with increasingly difficult questions: something like the Sun pub quiz. You could list the answers upsidedown or show the answers on the scoreboard at halftime or make the questions be about the articles so I have to read them to get the answer.

Parkdale
01-13-2010, 12:46 PM
You could list the answers upsidedown or show the answers on the scoreboard at halftime or make the questions be about the articles so I have to read them to get the answer.

I think you should feature a 'Hat of the match photo' staring TFC John.

side note: Look for some upside down answers to tough trivia questions in the next RPB newsletter.

SuperTCP
01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Have the advertisers in the program cover the costs therefore making it free to all fans who attend the games.

MUFC_Niagara
01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
oh...

Another great idea, maybe even profiles on a couple of the academy lads per issue.

Parkdale
01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Another great idea, maybe even profiles on a couple of the academy lads per issue.

yeah, and just wait until one of those kids makes the senior squad!

Paul - make sure to hold on to a box or two of each copy so you can do a full set at the end of the year. It would make for a good contest/raffle prize / donation thing.

I know lots of magazines will do a special 'year end bound copy' as a collectors piece. It would make for a really nice 'yearbook' of sorts. Plus you could add a few 'year in review' touches and a 'full season stat sheet'.

Red CB Toronto
01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
To make things simple use a program like Chelsea as your model, if you do that it will be good right out of the gate.

Shway
01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Why not have a Toronto FC Official Membership for like 65$, which includes:

- A player T-Shirt

- Subscription to TFCTV (Exclusive interviews, and matches like the Charleston tournament)

- Subscription to Match (week or day) programme

- 5 Toronto FC Academy games

- and more

Shway
01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
To make things simple use a program like Arsenal as your model, if you do that it will be good right out of the gate.

fixedd;)

FluSH
01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
I like many of the ideas already posted. However, I am very unlikely to read a program at the game. I would read it through the week leading up to the next game. So please include a page that looks forward to the next game and the next team we will face. I'd also like to read a short blurb about the other match-ups on the same weekend with a view on how they might impact TFC. Finally I'd like a short trivia quiz with increasingly difficult questions: something like the Sun pub quiz. You could list the answers upsidedown or show the answers on the scoreboard at halftime or make the questions be about the articles so I have to read them to get the answer.

Exactly... I want to know about the opposition for the next game. I personally wouldn't have any time to read this thing during the game... but can do so on the Go Train on my way back home...

Parkdale
01-13-2010, 01:45 PM

- A player T-Shirt
- Subscription to TFCTV (Exclusive interviews, and matches like the Charleston tournament)
- and more

I already have an 'official membership' and its called 'being a season seat holder'.

the idea of 'non seat holding members' was tossed around before, and it was poopoo'd pretty hard.

I'd like to see all the things your listed included as part of the regular SSH pack
(expect for the things that should be free for everyone, like TFC TV)

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-13-2010, 02:02 PM
I'd like to see the academy games held after the regular games like they did with the reserves. I read somewhere that they idea was considered last season, but I assume it's a no go now with the grass coming in.

I think the team could do more with the academy games then they're doing, free tickets to people on the season's ticket's waiting list, highlights from the their games on the web, maybe even a friendly with a name team's academy.

Shway
01-13-2010, 05:24 PM
I already have an 'official membership' and its called 'being a season seat holder'.

the idea of 'non seat holding members' was tossed around before, and it was poopoo'd pretty hard.

I'd like to see all the things your listed included as part of the regular SSH pack
(expect for the things that should be free for everyone, like TFC TV)

what about the ones who aren't a regular SSH because of availibity to be one? They can't be part of the club :(

ensco
01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
I would respectfully disagree with most of the suggestions here. Less is more. Charge $3, not $5, and you'll sell more than twice as many.

8 pages is enough. Rosters are the point. Make these great. Included career stats and detailed biographies please. I often find that I suddenly notice someone for the first time at a game, especially a visiting player, and I want to know all about his background right then.

In terms of content, anything you would put in there can/should be on the torontofc.ca website.

Include a few good coupons.

prizby
01-13-2010, 08:13 PM

can't do that unless you don't want to sell programs to kids

ensco
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Also, and this is very important:

If your idea gets used, you should receive one of these from the team....

http://www.psycho-bunny.com/servlet/the-383/%22PB-Hearts-Me%22-Cashmere/Detail

DOMIN8R
01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Send PB our this months RPB electonic newsletter so he can get an idea of what a quality product looks like. Snicker snicker

Huyton
01-13-2010, 09:38 PM
I live outside Toronto, and I won't come in to see Academy/Youth games, but I will stick around after a game to watch them. Just keep the beer park, and the north stand, open...no assigned seating.

You'd have to have the academy games after the main game because you'd hate to have them chewing up our nice new grass before DeRo's had a chance to spit on it.

Afterwards, you've still got a good few days for the groundskeeper to earn their keep.

If you're looking to give the "reserves" a game, why not have them play a series of "exhibition" games against some Ontario Soccer League teams? Again, a program gets you in.

scooter
01-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Agreed.

x50000000000000000000 about the lame guy -- clothes do not make the man or woman

redtfcred
01-15-2010, 11:05 AM
x50000000000000000000 about the lame guy -- clothes do not make the man or woman

OMG tku for this suggestion .. There is nothing worse then seeing the same Fucking lame promotion over and over at every fucking game .. AS MLSinto said its the same people in at every game for the most part so put som goddam effort into making things creative and fun.. win some lose some ..

but fuck just like leafs games and raptor games same old shit diff day ...

Cookie cutter bullshit that is easy and Cheap ... Borinfuckinggggg

in ref to Jack astors dress up some guy or girl in TFC crap

deltox
01-15-2010, 11:12 AM
with the grass, you shouldnt get all those HT games anymore.

i dont think anyone actually cares about HT entertainment.

Stencils
01-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Exactly... I want to know about the opposition for the next game. I personally wouldn't have any time to read this thing during the game... but can do so on the Go Train on my way back home...

I agree with this sentiment entirely.

Definitely have people selling these things after the game with a decent amount of content about the next match (it could even be just the next home match).

Every time in the past when I've picked up a game-day program, I leaf through it, find that I have already prepared myself for gameday with the information inside it, and remind myself why I usually don't pick up game-day programs. Having good content about the next match would help keep people interested after they've left the grounds, even after a loss.

scooter
01-15-2010, 11:36 AM

- A player T-Shirt

- and more

in a word NO:facepalm:

jloome
01-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Easier solution, since all of these ideas represent typical editorial content: hire an editor with assigning experience early on, and your product will reflect his or her attention to detail.

Flipping out story angles that will keep readers interested isn't hard if you have a lot of experience doing it on day-to-day news, so raid one of the local dailies for someone who'd like a change of direction (believe me, there are plenty these days) and make part of the hiring process to demonstrate a weekly schedule of both week-to-week new story ideas and commonly run features.

Asking people here will give you some general conceptual ideas, but that's where the actual work starts. Being as specific as possible when assigning, say, a feature on a member of the youth program or a piece on likely formations for your next opponent is the real key to make an editorial product work.

There are other budgetary considerations that will seriously restrict or propel the ability to provide content: how many staff are to be assigned;how many pages MUST be fillled a week; how many will be open, and will there be ad support on the other pages; how many ad staff will be required to maximize potential revenue.

A program is, essentially, a small glossy magazine. How small, how large and consumer expectations for $5 worth -- as you're quite sensibly doing here -- are essential to that. But the quality of the ideas themselves will be predicated on the experience the hire has in assigning or developing clever, non-spot-news angles.

Red CB Toronto
01-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I completely agree, having an experienced person is key, but then again how does someone get experience if no one is willng to give it to them.

In my role with the International Bowl, I had my first experience as editor of a game program and I completely see what you mean. It is everything from layout, editorial content, getting all the ads you are required to put in, for me it was a one man show and it was an experience with such a quick turnaround.

Easier solution, since all of these ideas represent typical editorial content: hire an editor with assigning experience early on, and your product will reflect his or her attention to detail.

Flipping out story angles that will keep readers interested isn't hard if you have a lot of experience doing it on day-to-day news, so raid one of the local dailies for someone who'd like a change of direction (believe me, there are plenty these days) and make part of the hiring process to demonstrate a weekly schedule of both week-to-week new story ideas and commonly run features.

Asking people here will give you some general conceptual ideas, but that's where the actual work starts. Being as specific as possible when assigning, say, a feature on a member of the youth program or a piece on likely formations for your next opponent is the real key to make an editorial product work.

There are other budgetary considerations that will seriously restrict or propel the ability to provide content: how many staff are to be assigned;how many pages MUST be fillled a week; how many will be open, and will there be ad support on the other pages; how many ad staff will be required to maximize potential revenue.

A program is, essentially, a small glossy magazine. How small, how large and consumer expectations for $5 worth -- as you're quite sensibly doing here -- are essential to that. But the quality of the ideas themselves will be predicated on the experience the hire has in assigning or developing clever, non-spot-news angles.

Shway
01-17-2010, 05:33 PM
in a word NO:facepalm:

in a sentence that didnt make sense? :picard:

mazinn
01-17-2010, 05:57 PM
a fiver is totally reasonable considering what a game day program costs for the Jays / Argos.

content suggestions:

- home + visitor player bios. including stats, former clubs / career
- Vs stats and match schedule
- Player / management interviews (especially with Paul b! haha)
- Fan contests / promotional dirves for TFC merch.
- Managemtn and SCOUTING news from Mo
- sponsored fan pics / Supporter images
- discounts with TFC affiliated organizations.
- TFC charitable info
- Hot babes of TFC suppliment HAHA

ya know. . good neato stuff like that.

great initiative. I will fully support it.

Bingo. Thats all we really need to know about on the game day,
we only have 15 minutes before the game and another 15 after the first half( we usualy use to grab a beer or take a piss)

Mark in Ottawa
01-17-2010, 06:42 PM
in a sentence that didnt make sense?
Funny I understood him perfectly.
Oh... and I agree with him.

Any attempt to "package" stuff to prove you are a fan doesn't seem like a good idea. Set prices low enough and give good value for the $$ and you won't have to resort to "gimmicks" to draw people in.

jloome
01-18-2010, 12:44 PM
I completely agree, having an experienced person is key, but then again how does someone get experience if no one is willng to give it to them.

In my role with the International Bowl, I had my first experience as editor of a game program and I completely see what you mean. It is everything from layout, editorial content, getting all the ads you are required to put in, for me it was a one man show and it was an experience with such a quick turnaround.

On top of the fact that an editorial product is always more logistically complex than expected, they're talking about charging a sum that would more than cover its production cost.

I'd go for something more downscale, as ensco suggested, but likely 12 glossy pages, so you can justify a $5 cover price. Hire the editor as an in-house content provider for the website two days a week and program editor the other three. Have the ads sold by existing in house sales staff, and maintain a fairly consistent split of ads vs. copy.

The ideas here seem to gravitate towards a few key items: expected rosters (2 pages, one for each team); an "around the league" feature; a player profile style feature with bio and career boxes; a youth profile; coaching tips. I'd probably add in a trivia/games page for younger kids (who love programs, it must be said) and one good regular columnist, and that would be the bulk of the content.

But you can see why, when it comes down to figuring out individual story angles for each of these each week -- and getting it all done in three days of work -- you're probably looking at hiring someone experienced, not just an an enthusiastic youngster. That's why you need them to produce content for the web (as well as port over some of the program material the day after the match), to justify adding a full-timer.

Shway
01-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Funny I understood him perfectly.
Oh... and I agree with him.

Any attempt to "package" stuff to prove you are a fan doesn't seem like a good idea. Set prices low enough and give good value for the $$ and you won't have to resort to "gimmicks" to draw people in.

My post had nothing to do with "proving" you are a fan.
What it does is it appeals to the "every" fan.

Im sure if TFCTV, had a subscription of lets say 3 or 5$ month, and was offering more Content than usual, im sure alot of people would want this "package of stuff"

Im just saying, i dont like when i see TFCTV stuff posted so freely, there is no exclusiveness to our club, and what i mean by that is I dont like how you will see TFCTV posted on other websites,or big soccer,when it should be soley on the SG pages, or TFC official content.

I would like to hear things first from my club, than people who support other teams.

IMO

"Free Cyber Scallping is worse then Scallping atleast its money to the club we love":o

redangeldragnet
01-25-2010, 05:46 PM
What NOT to do: see the Leafs, Raptors, and Blue Jays programs - all advertising. As much as I love the idea of programs, I don't see people buying them the way they used to. Red Wings give theirs away for free, but there isn't much to read. Red Sox charged only $2 a few years back. The best I've ever seen are in England - heaps of information targeted towards serious football fans. I just don't think we have enough of that over here. And the late-arriving crowd doesn't help matters.

mlsintoronto
04-15-2010, 03:52 PM
The program is here, thank you all for the input. Hopefully, above all else, you buy it and it strikes you that it is a football match day program, not a standard Toronto sports souvenir.

there are very few available since we're starting small. Get here early!

Also - we're honouring Jimmy right after anthems. shhhhhhh

prizby
04-15-2010, 03:55 PM
tim90 would like 9 sent to him

Voodooman
04-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I'd buy them all!

So how about one player per program?

Hitcho
04-15-2010, 06:00 PM
The program is here, thank you all for the input. Hopefully, above all else, you buy it and it strikes you that it is a football match day program, not a standard Toronto sports souvenir.

By doing this you have deliberately made the first edition into nothing more than a limited edition collector's souvenir item. the opposite of what you claim in fact. :facepalm:

Could you not have taken a punt and had enough made up to accommodate the large number of loyal fans? I mean, even if it flopped and you had lots left over, MLSE makes plenty of $$$ from us through other game day sales, so it wouldn't have hit MLSE very hard. And as if the common fan isn't suffering enough right now, was it really too much to ask to make enough first edition programmes to cover demand?

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that this has been done and it really sounds like it's been done in a very good manner, so kudos for that if so. But by doing that and then shafting people with the inevitable scoop up by scalper type collector people looking to make a profit on eBay, you've undone much of the good effort, and the only reason could be to artificially inflate demand (who? MLSE? never!) or not being prepared to take a comparatively small loss by taking a risk to try and help all the long suffering fans.

CretanBull
04-16-2010, 01:51 AM

Thanks for coming up with something new to sell me. Can you now fix what you've already sold me?

redangeldragnet
04-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Crap, I forgot mine underneath my seat.

Red CB Toronto
04-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I thought it was a good program, it was along the lines in what they do at most clubs in England in terms of size and the fact that the rosters are on the back and not the centre page.

You can tell that there was a quick turn around on it with some of the content.

MUFC_Niagara
04-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Paul,

Overall, I am impressed with this program. I'd like to see Preki's Notes become a regular feature in the program. I like the academy feature as well, even more of an indepth feature on the academy lads would be great. I'll be collecting these for sure.

Bloor West FC
04-16-2010, 09:46 AM
I thought it was a good program, it was along the lines in what they do at most clubs in England in terms of size and the fact that the rosters are on the back and not the centre page.

You can tell that there was a quick turn around on it with some of the content.

Agree I really liked it.

Frick
04-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Anyone else notice in the TFC history/timeline they have Danny's goal not listed as 23:13 but something like 23:44?

tfc2007
04-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Crap, I forgot mine underneath my seat.

Haha samee!

Were they for sale after the game, next time I will buy it after if possible.

JonO
04-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Haha samee!

Were they for sale after the game, next time I will buy it after if possible.
That's what I was hoping for... no way I can buy one before the game and have it anything but wrecked by the end. I looked but couldn't find any...

tfcfans
04-16-2010, 12:59 PM
^ I bought mine before the game but I did see somebody selling them outside the gates at the North End (just in front of the food building) after the game - I was somewhat surprised as availability was not a problem considering the printing run was supposedly quite small....

JonO
04-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Aww man - I went looking. How did I miss that???

tfcfans
04-16-2010, 01:30 PM
^ It looked like they had lots left to sell when I was leaving after the game - myabe you could contact the Front Office and see if they have any extras left over?! - Just a thought!

SuperTCP
04-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Aww man - I went looking. How did I miss that???

On the 1st page it states "TFC Matchday preogramme is available through subscription"

email jmoore@coremedia.ca to get more info...and enjoy the plastic smell.

SuperTCP
04-16-2010, 01:49 PM
I bought one at end of game - more out of couriosity - vender had plenty left. Considering it was 1st time, limited small number available, etc sales of the program does not look good.

With all the advertising within - do these programs not just pay for themselves - they should just be included with your ticket, handed out free on game day inside the stadium.

Davenport
04-16-2010, 02:03 PM

So, we can:
- affordable ($5)

What else?

A good programme doesn't need any promotion, just good content.

1/ Notes from the Manager (Coach)
2/ A feature on the opposition and their players.
3/ History of games between the 2 clubs
4/ Reports and pictures of the latest TFC games...Pics should be unique to the programme and not ones that have been seen before.
5/ Supporters club section
6/ Youth team info...scores, reports etc.
7/ A feature on a player
8/ Club events & social events
9/ Ticket information
10/ Away travel section
11/ Stats page...results, player appearances, scorers, league table
12/ A page on the rest of the league. Transfers etc.
13/ Competition for free tickets.
14/ A young supporters section.

There's lots of stuff you can include to make each programme interesting, unique and collectable.

tim90
04-18-2010, 06:21 PM
i like to see player pohto on on pogrem

Stryker
04-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Fuck your programmes and concentrate on putting a decent product on the field.

Redpunkfiddle
04-18-2010, 06:28 PM

I hardly think the marketing department should be involved in managing the team.

icecoldbeer
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Did anyone grab an extra one that is willing to sell to me?

I forgot to grab one at half time :(

J .
04-20-2010, 02:30 PM

I like that idea, but instead of just RPB, a joint list from the supporters groups.

fetajr
04-20-2010, 04:04 PM

lol..reminds me of Tony Montana

"Fuck your programmes! And fuck the fuckin' Mo Johnston! Fuck 'em all! I bury those cockroaches! "

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/tonymontana.jpg

SuperTCP
04-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Did anyone grab an extra one that is willing to sell to me?

I forgot to grab one at half time :(

You can have mine for nothin after I finish reading it.

PM me your mailing address and I will mail it to you.

Cheers

icecoldbeer
04-20-2010, 04:21 PM
You can have mine for nothin after I finish reading it.

PM me your mailing address and I will mail it to you.

Cheers

That's amazing! PM'd

p.s. doune you have 17 media guide?

J .
04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Put bleaches in the supporters sections and do away with these "seats"

Wolfe
04-20-2010, 08:03 PM
That's amazing! PM'd

p.s. doune you have 17 media guide?

:picard::D