PDA

View Full Version : We Will Get Teal Bunbury

James17930
01-12-2010, 10:03 AM
I don't know exactly how -- through some manner of trade and laying on the grease -- but come Thursday Mo will find a way to get a pick that gives us Bunbury.

This is my premonition.

This is how it will be.

BuSaPuNk
01-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Just thinking out loud here because the MLS is such a crazy beast. But couldn't MoJo just sign Bunbury out of college? Or do the NCAA players have to go through the draft?

Troll
01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Just thinking out loud here because the MLS is such a crazy beast. But couldn't MoJo just sign Bunbury out of college? Or do the NCAA players have to go through the draft?

Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of this silly draft then?

BuSaPuNk
01-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of this silly draft then?

You can say the same thing about the NHL then. You have a draft but can still sign college players that don't go to the draft. Ala Bozak with the Leafs.

Carts
01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
You can say the same thing about the NHL then. You have a draft but can still sign college players that don't go to the draft. Ala Bozak with the Leafs.

Bozak was 23 when signed... He went through his draft eligible years and became a free-agent...

Draft eligible players automatically enter the draft at 18. If drafted, they become property of that team. If they don't sign a contract, they re-enter the draft at 20. If they again, don't sign a contract, they become an unrestricted free-agent at 22 (or in Bozak's case, 23 due to a March birthday)...

Or, if you are undrafted in two NHL drafts, you become an unrestricted free-agent at 20 - which is Bozak's case...

Bozak played Tier-II Junior hockey in the BCHL, and didn't get his NCAA Scholly until he was 20 (late bloomer), so he wasn't on any NHL radars... Once he excelled at Denver - he became a 'diamond in the rough' as he was a freshman, playing every game, yet undrafted...

Carts...

TFC07
01-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I get the feeling MLS will help TFC get Bunbury somehow. (bending the rules for rich clubs FTW!). :scarf:

Fort York Redcoat
01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
I like the positivity of this thread.

Oldtimer
01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I like the positivity of this thread.

Time for some negative person to chime in then! :rolleyes:

Don Julio
01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Bunbury sucks.

jloome
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Three games at the Combine so far, zero goals.

It's the most elite level he's played at so far and he hasn't produced. Maybe that's just bad luck (and good goalkeeping, from the sounds of it) because the scouts there are saying he looks good.

Can the kid finish at this level and create chances at this level? Unknown. He won't come here, I'm predicting, because we already have youth being served at forward with OB white, and they're not going to partner two players that are effectively both rookies (given how much of last year WHite missed and how little action he saw.)

It would be nice, though, so see two Canadian (slash-U.S.-slash-Jamaican) kids partnering upfront for TFC two years down the line, banging in goals.

spark
01-12-2010, 12:33 PM

I don't think so. The team doesn't sign the player, the league does. If they chose to not go through the draft, I would think the player's contract would fall to the next team in line for ... allocation? I forget the term - how McBride came back to the league.

Unless we placed a discovery claim on him.

BuSaPuNk
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Bozak was 23 when signed... He went through his draft eligible years and became a free-agent...

Draft eligible players automatically enter the draft at 18. If drafted, they become property of that team. If they don't sign a contract, they re-enter the draft at 20. If they again, don't sign a contract, they become an unrestricted free-agent at 22 (or in Bozak's case, 23 due to a March birthday)...

Or, if you are undrafted in two NHL drafts, you become an unrestricted free-agent at 20 - which is Bozak's case...

Bozak played Tier-II Junior hockey in the BCHL, and didn't get his NCAA Scholly until he was 20 (late bloomer), so he wasn't on any NHL radars... Once he excelled at Denver - he became a 'diamond in the rough' as he was a freshman, playing every game, yet undrafted...

Carts...

Ah right now I remember the story. Thanks Carts.

So realistically couldn't Bunbury get drafted not sign with the team that drafts him ala Lindros and Quebec and be traded or picked up by TFC?

TFC_Junky
01-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Can't see us landing him (the trade would take quite a bit to get the pick), but could you imagine Bunbury and White in a 442 with our midfield?! Could be a thing of beauty! getterdone Mo! 2 mac herman award winners as your up front striking pair!

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I'd rather see the team go after a more experienced striker, not sure how Bunbury would fit with the team. OBW, Barret, Ibrahim, Gerba, and Bunbury? I think TFC would still struggle to produce goals from their forwards.

VPjr
01-12-2010, 03:06 PM
what gives ANYONE the impression that Teal Bunbury is MLS starter material at 19 years old? Just curious. I saw him twice this season on television and I didn't see it. I'm not a huge O'Brien White fan but he's far more ready to be an impact player for TFC in 2010 than Teal Bunbury would be.

TFC07
01-12-2010, 03:59 PM
I'd rather see the team go after a more experienced striker, not sure how Bunbury would fit with the team. OBW, Barret, Ibrahim, Gerba, and Bunbury? I think TFC would still struggle to produce goals from their forwards.

I hope Barret is gone, if not, then except him to play as a winger. Ibranhim isn't going to get much playing time. So that pretty much leaves us with Gerba and OBW? I think Bunbury has a great chance to win the starting spot against those two.

But I agree we need more experienced and polished striker (as well a winger and defenders too) though.

what gives ANYONE the impression that Teal Bunbury is MLS starter material at 19 years old? Just curious. I saw him twice this season on television and I didn't see it. I'm not a huge O'Brien White fan but he's far more ready to be an impact player for TFC in 2010 than Teal Bunbury would be.

You're right in short term Bunbury isn't going to do much, but the kid is only 19 years old. He got great upside to become a quality striker in MLS unlike Gerba or OBW (this can be agrued tho).

Carts
01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Ah right now I remember the story. Thanks Carts.

So realistically couldn't Bunbury get drafted not sign with the team that drafts him ala Lindros and Quebec and be traded or picked up by TFC?

All depends on how the MLS CBA works...

I know the NHL CBA outside & in thanks to work (there's alot of boring ass shit in there), but the MLS CBA, I know nothing... LOL

Carts...

BuSaPuNk
01-12-2010, 04:53 PM
All depends on how the MLS CBA works...

I know the NHL CBA outside & in thanks to work (there's alot of boring ass shit in there), but the MLS CBA, I know nothing... LOL

Carts...

Join the club. I don't even think most of the front offices around the leauge know the CBA. LOL!

VPjr
01-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Ibranhim isn't going to get much playing time. So that pretty much leaves us with Gerba and OBW? I think Bunbury has a great chance to win the starting spot against those two.

Hard to say if Ibrahim is going to play much or not. No one really knows if he was played sparingly because he wasn't good enough or because TFC did not want to give up a draft pick if Abbe made too many appearances. Now that the appearances clause is off the table, let's see if he earns more time.

Both Gerba and OBW are far more likely to produce at the MLS level than Bunbury will in 2010. I'm being told by people who know the NCAA game very well that Teal is a 2 year project (less ready for primetime than OBW would have been had he left school early and entered the 2008 draft).

Gerba isn't anything special but if all things are equal, Gerba is a far better player than Teal is right now.

I hate to sound like a pessimist but do not overrate NCAA players, not even guys who win these awards. They don't mean much and do not equate pro success. There is a huge jump from NCAA to pro, even if pro is MLS.

You're right in short term Bunbury isn't going to do much, but the kid is only 19 years old. He got great upside to become a quality striker in MLS unlike Gerba or OBW (this can be agrued tho).

I think OBW is the better footballer right now and all that really matters for TFC is winning right now. TFC, if they were to pick up a 1st round draft pick, needs to be using those picks on players who can contribute right now. If they can find Omar Gonazales v2010, then that is the guy to get because that is what they need far more than another NCAA striker.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I've seen Bunbury described as "a poor man's O'Brian White", which suggests the question if we have the genuine article, why go after the imitation?

SteeltownBhoy
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Frei+ allocation and I think you have a chance. Frei has the advantage of being a Generation Addidas player, very valuable. I think he is gone in 2 years anyway.

A keeper really should be a domestic spot I believe.

J .
01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Id like it to give us some depth at the striker spot, atm I see Gerba and Barrett starting, with OBW backing them up. Bunbury would give us more depth. I like the idea.

James17930
01-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I never said whether he'd be a good player or not -- I just have a feeling this is what Mo wants to do.