PDA

View Full Version : Should we trade up for a defender?

spark
01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
A defender? Forward? ... or at all?

I'm inclined to say release the trigger. I'd rather see Mo do what he's supposed to do as a GM and sign in the players we need instead of trading youth, money, draft picks etc ... for youth (I'm thinking Wynne for a pick, for example).

IF it happens I hope it's not for Opara et al. in the back. I can see the value in trying to land another forward, but I really think we need to start building from the back forward, starting with an experienced anchor. Despite his age and milage, Berhalter proved his worth at LA and balanced out a back four of Franklin and Gonzalez. We should be looking for someone along these lines, but do the research so we don't keep landing the likes of Garcia.

jloome has his thoughts on THE DEFENCE RESTS (http://www.rednationonline.ca/The_Defence_Rests_jan_12_10_column.shtml), and I'm inclined to agree the top priority should be (well should have been since day 1) finding the general at the back ... I guess it's time for a trip to Columbia! :)

Shakes McQueen
01-12-2010, 09:02 AM
I think we need an experienced anchor at the back, so I hope we look outside the draft for a new CB. I want someone older, who can command the younger guys we have playing back there, and keep them organized. One of our biggest problems last season was a complete lack of organization, and Garcia didn't do much to help (quite the opposite).

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
I think we need an experienced anchor at the back, so I hope we look outside the draft for a new CB. I want someone older, who can command the younger guys we have playing back there, and keep them organized. One of our biggest problems last season was a complete lack of organization, and Garcia didn't do much to help (quite the opposite).

- Scott

cosign.
the gap between the ncaa and the mls is too big for me to warrant trading up in the draft. ill be a bit sad if this happens, especially as mo should be out there looking for experienced players

maninb
01-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Since TFC has a very good chance to get that big CB Edgington anyway in the 2nd Rnd, it isn't worth trading up to get another young CB...I agree we need to scour the planet and get an experienced tough CB from elsewhere...

jabbronies
01-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Yes, Defence is our top priority this year. Last year we foused on forwards, this year should be defence.

We all saw the shit show on the back line last year, there's no denying that this issue needs to be #1 priority.

S_D
01-12-2010, 10:37 AM
cosign.
the gap between the ncaa and the mls is too big for me to warrant trading up in the draft. ill be a bit sad if this happens, especially as mo should be out there looking for experienced players

It shouldn't be either or. Both can be done

Problem is we still have some players on the team that don't belong in the MLS. If they can be traded (and salary dumped) for draft picks AND we have a full roster at the beginning of the season I am all for it.

Carts
01-12-2010, 10:42 AM

- Scott

Shakes I agree with you - we need a general back there to lead the troops...

Someone with experience and respect...

The kids coming out of the draft (ok, "young men") need time 'play into' themselves at the pro-level...

We have youngsters - we need a veteran at that position, one that can run faster than me, as Garcia couldn't...

Carts...

BuSaPuNk
01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Absolutely not. We should just take what is coming to us. We have a good mix of youth and experience back there as it is. With Nana and Gomez playing very well for there age they will be the experienced lot in a few years.

Don't pull a leafs and morgage your future for a potential guy. Unless Bunbury is Pele I say take the picks that you have and keep your roster intact in the most part. Everyone here would probably agree the biggest problem has been the turnaround in the roster that is effecting the on field product.

Suds
01-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Shakes I agree with you - we need a general back there to lead the troops...

Someone with experience and respect...

The kids coming out of the draft (ok, "young men") need time 'play into' themselves at the pro-level...

We have youngsters - we need a veteran at that position, one that can run faster than me, as Garcia couldn't...

Carts...

Yeah, agree with both you and Shakes and the point above that we could pick up a young CB in the 2nd round. Signing and experienced CB should be priority #1. I'm guessing Preki has made this known to MoJo. Preki's style requires good D.

A CB with a good +4 years experience, tall, ability to read the game, and with decent pace. (OK, maybe not all that or they would not likely be in the MLS .. LOL ... but you get my drift)

MoJo should just use the draft to round out the line-up, not to try and build it.

spark
01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I would think that, as mentioned, if LA found a player like Berhalter - who must have made in the area of $100k (i'm just basing that on Beckham/Donovan - Gonzalez making $140k), that a solid CB with 2nd Bundesliga/Danish Superleague, etc ... level would get the job done and could be tracked down.

I think it's just a matter of where they are in their career and if they can be attracted to N.America ... which usually requires $$$.

jloome
01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
It shouldn't be either or. Both can be done

Problem is we still have some players on the team that don't belong in the MLS. If they can be traded (and salary dumped) for draft picks AND we have a full roster at the beginning of the season I am all for it.

This is a good point. All of this gets a little easier when some weight has been shed. But having a good second-rounder to groom as the third or fourth guy behind Nana and a player with experience would put us in good sted.

I wonder if Eddie Robinson's over his problems at Houston (knee if I recall)?

Luanda
01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
We did extremely well with last year's superdraft: first round was awesome and ready to go. Forget about anything in subsequent rounds (including this year) both in terms of awesome and ready to go. So anything in this year's superdraft (barring a trade) will not help immediately. And hence, something must be done on the CB front outside of the superdraft.

Nuvinho
01-12-2010, 04:20 PM
I think you would only trade up if Opara is still on the board, since he is the best defender out there (reportedly). If you trade up for another defender, it may not be worth what you are giving up.

I know we have so many midfielders.....but Tony Tchani looks good (another Cronin maybe)....but then again, I haven't seen him play just heard it from reports.

jloome
01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I think you would only trade up if Opara is still on the board, since he is the best defender out there (reportedly). If you trade up for another defender, it may not be worth what you are giving up.

I know we have so many midfielders.....but Tony Tchani looks good (another Cronin maybe)....but then again, I haven't seen him play just heard it from reports.

If Ives Galarcep is gauging the pulse of the scouts right, Tchani might end out going first or second (the former only if the Philly first pick for Danny Mwanga isn't as advertised).

Plus, we're kinda stacked at central mid.

S_D
01-12-2010, 06:38 PM

While I agree a CB is very important we also have to look at our depth at wing. We have none. There are always way to kill 2 birds with one stone, whether or not you have a dance partner is another story altogether.

If you could trade Barrett for a low first rounder (or a second rounder and package it with our own for a low first) when there is a gen adidas winger available, you can essentially get a 2 for 1. A Gen adidas winger + you free up 200K for a CB from overseas somewhere (as long as it isn't another Garcia lol).

I would say the impact on the team would be minimal as Barrett wouldn't be missed much. I would even consider trading Wynne since Nana is better imo at RB although we would miss his speed.

Nuvinho
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
While I agree a CB is very important we also have to look at our depth at wing. We have none. There are always way to kill 2 birds with one stone, whether or not you have a dance partner is another story altogether.

If you could trade Barrett for a low first rounder (or a second rounder and package it with our own for a low first) when there is a gen adidas winger available, you can essentially get a 2 for 1. A Gen adidas winger + you free up 200K for a CB from overseas somewhere (as long as it isn't another Garcia lol).

I would say the impact on the team would be minimal as Barrett wouldn't be missed much. I would even consider trading Wynne since Nana is better imo at RB although we would miss his speed.

I agree that Barrett's name will probably floated around at the MLS draft. I think also Mo may bring up Robbo's name, Wynne as well, and of course Garcia (haha...you never know.some team may bite).

S_D
01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I agree that Barrett's name will probably floated around at the MLS draft. I think also Mo may bring up Robbo's name, Wynne as well, and of course Garcia (haha...you never know.some team may bite).

That goes for Barrett too :D

If Wynne goes though he is worth way more than a low first rounder. I could see getting a high first rounder + probably allocation cash and or a lower draft pick too. If you are Phili you would have to give the idea some thought as what you are getting in the draft may make your first team but really shouldn't.

For some reason MLS teams seem to value athleticism over skill :facepalm:

jloome
01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
That goes for Barrett too :D

If Wynne goes though he is worth way more than a low first rounder. I could see getting a high first rounder + probably allocation cash and or a lower draft pick too. If you are Phili you would have to give the idea some thought as what you are getting in the draft may make your first team but really shouldn't.

For some reason MLS teams seem to value athleticism over skill :facepalm:

Marvell's tough to call. Everyone knows both his upside and his downside, so his 'blue chip' status might not be as pronounced as we all think (funnily, in my Football Manager 2010 game right now, he's been signed by Real Madrid as a backup.)

But yeah, I can certainly see a high first rounder and a utility player for him. There are more gen adidas contracts this year than at any time in the past so it might be prudent to supply both our wings and hope one is of starting or at least rotational calibre.

Can't see Garcia as desired by anyone. Not even sure why he's still here, beyond obscene nepotism and his role as the union rep.

Barrett might get us an even-ish player swap, but I don't think we'd get a decent first rounder for him. His downside is now legendary, his potential still untapped.

jazzy
01-12-2010, 07:21 PM

- Scott
Funny this sounds just like last years story I'm sure glad everyone has more faith than I do, I appreciate it

S_D
01-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Funny this sounds just like last years story I'm sure glad everyone has more faith than I do, I appreciate it

Nobody said they have faith, just recognizing that Mo still hasn't done what he has needed to do since season 1.

I personally think we have 50/50 chance that a decent CB will be found, and I think I am being overly generous :D

Considering how bad he blew it last season with the overpaying and understaffed team, I don't have much faith tbh. I think he has this season to get it done or be gone. He has his future replacement sitting there on the sidelines so hopefully he recognizes that he is done for unless he delivers.

Nuvinho
01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
If we can get Da Luz (as Sean predicts in his lastest mock draft) and Edwards. I would be happy, anything else will be icing on the cake.

Keyman
01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
The Superdraft should never be looked at as an answer, in my opinion.

GuelphStorm2007
01-13-2010, 01:44 AM
I would prefer TFC to sign a experienced defender than move up in the draft.

J .
01-13-2010, 02:12 AM
My personal belief is we need wing players going forward. I think that would help our backline out tremendously. All too often we lose possession wide.

That being said. Serioux was a let down, Nana a revelation. We need someone to pair with Nana, Serioux as a depth player.