PDA

View Full Version : Ives: Combine Preview

cementhead
01-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I was reading Ives and found this pretty interesting:
MLS Drafts are always made a bit more entertaining by the moves of Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston, but this year could be different. Why? TFC does not have a first-round pick (yet) and is presently maxed out of its American player slots, so unless Toronto can deal away an American or two, it could be a quiet week for TFC (Yes, I know, this probably means TFC will be dealing Chad Barrett and/or some other Americans for a first-round pick). Stay tuned.
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/01/mls-combine-preview-and-some-day-one-updates.html#more
Dozen he now something we don,t?:rolleyes:

S_D
01-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Barrett for a first round pick? Yikes. Maybe near the bottom of the first round. If Mo can pull off a high first rounder without swallowing part of the contract or giving up allocation I'd be impressed. Wynne on the other hand could fetch a higher draft pick and probably a bit more.

prizby
01-10-2010, 10:39 AM
barrett for a first rounder is like stealing candy from a baby...i'd suspect a lot of allocation would have to go too...Wynne won't be traded cuz he was Mo's draft pick

S_D
01-10-2010, 11:49 AM
barrett for a first rounder is like stealing candy from a baby...i'd suspect a lot of allocation would have to go too...Wynne won't be traded cuz he was Mo's draft pick

Who knows with Preki. If he has much say, he may value a defender with better defending qualities than speed. Be interesting to see whiich way they go though. Mo may not make a trade at all but that would be highly surprising because without draft picks, Mo is a mediocre GM at best.

If I could get a high second rounder for Barrett without having to outlay cash or paying off part of his salary I would take it in a heartbeat just to free up the 200k. Then perhaps one could package both second rounders for a mid level first and spend the dosh on something decent. Maybe even (heaven forbid) spend it on a couple of players so we can have a full team. Plenty of teams have proven Mo wrong that you can have a good team and still have a full roster.