PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Users; Show Your Support to MLS Players Group

Yeoman
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#/group.php?gid=233062681628&ref=nf
mods apologizes in advance if you think this is the improper location for this type of thread.
Support the players in Major League Soccer in their negotiations of a new collective bargaining agreement. Voice your concerns here. Tell the league you will not support them if they don't support their players.

canadian_bhoy
01-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I support the fans. Players and Owners, get off your asses and get it done.

Roogsy
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Already joined...I am with the players on this one.

Millionaire basketball players? They don't need me as much and I could care less if they miss a year of salary. But MLS players seem to recognize the connection with the fans in a better way than other pro players...and are certainly more impacted by any stoppage.

Cashcleaner
01-07-2010, 01:08 AM
^ My thoughts exactly, Roogs.

Luckily, I think most people understand that the hardworking players of MLS aren't really in the same cohort as their counterparts in the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc.

CretanBull
01-07-2010, 01:23 AM
In "The Beckham Experiment" there's a bit of a mention of how a typical MLS player lives (it was brought up to show the contrast between the lifestyles of Beckham and his team-mates). Often players live together, 2-3 to a house or condo unless you're an established player (or married to a woman who makes better money than you do) raising a family isn't an option. If you're on or near the bottom of the pay scale, you can literally earn more money working at McDonalds. Players who were good enough to earn full-ride scholarships in college actually see a decline in their lifestyle when they turn pro. That's fucked up.

daner90
01-07-2010, 08:08 AM
What did Nana make on his developmental contract last year $32,000?
I make that much and I am on the bottom rung at a not for profit organization lol

Phil
01-07-2010, 08:21 AM

That sums it up for me.

koryo
01-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Seconded. Both parties are culpable as far as I'm concerned, so I'm not taking either side.

rocker
01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
What did Nana make on his developmental contract last year $32,000?
I make that much and I am on the bottom rung at a not for profit organization lol

nana wasn't on DEV last year. he had a regular senior contract at the minimum.

he made 34K from TFC and 14K from the government.

So he made 48,000 last year. Not bad for a 20 year old with no kids or family to support... gets 2 months off a year too :)

bones
01-07-2010, 12:04 PM
NEVER!

I just can't support any people making demands of employment to the people who own the company.

Bones...

Pookie
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Not to disrespect the process here but do petitions really make a difference? Does it make a difference here?

Are they in the boardroom saying:

"Ok, it's settled then... we are forced to go to a lockout... all in fav..."

"Wait a minute!! I was just on Facebook and you should see the number of fans that have signed up to this Players' Support Group."

"Wow. This changes everything... get the players back in here, let's settle"

I fear that the time for the fans' voice to have an impact on 2010 has already passed. It came and went with season ticket renewals.

The league's most profitable franchises have already secured their revenue streams through season ticket renewals. Sure, there could be a refund but if they miss just a couple of games, don't bet on it. The lost revenue on walk ups, merchandise and beer is offset by the fact that they won't be paying salaries through a lockout.

Unless fans can organize some kind of potential class action lawsuit, they won't come back into the equation next Nov-Dec but I can't see it lasting that long

Yeoman
01-07-2010, 04:38 PM
they changed the parts of the 401 for the highway of heroes from facebook
this is one place where fans of all teams have common access to.
it is a chance for all of them to get together and discuss this.
around 150 people have joined this group since I joined it 24 hours ago.
yes it should have happend earlier, but did any of us honestly see this going down the road that it has so far?
is it really too much to ask to have an actual contract?
to be able to make more then 25k a year?
to have the teams cover your costs of food.
i am not much of a union guy myself, but this? this could kill the league.

Boris
01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
the issue isnt just with the owners. I am not taking a side.
In the end i dont care how, but BOTH sides need to see what could happen if a strike were to happen.

Pookie
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM
they changed the parts of the 401 for the highway of heroes from facebook
this is one place where fans of all teams have common access to.
it is a chance for all of them to get together and discuss this.
around 150 people have joined this group since I joined it 24 hours ago.
yes it should have happend earlier, but did any of us honestly see this going down the road that it has so far?
is it really too much to ask to have an actual contract?
to be able to make more then 25k a year?
to have the teams cover your costs of food.
i am not much of a union guy myself, but this? this could kill the league.

Oh, listen, I'm not suggesting that the cause isn't worthy. That said, I can see both sides to this.

I am very much in favour of raising the league minimum but also see value in the current structure from a financial point of view. That last point is critical when only 3 teams post a profit.

I don't have a high degree of concern that it will get to a lock out. Players need to play and the majority of the union would have no place to play. With Vancouver and Montreal out of the USL, there are even fewer summer options for these guys. They also don't have an NHL like war chest to help them pay mortgages and bills.

Owners need them to play. It is a gate driven league and not playing certainly doesn't help fuel interest. But more importantly, it won't help honour TV and advertising contracts and that means potential financial risk.

I think they'll play but I don't think that a facebook page is going to have anything to do with it. Fans are way down the list of influencers... if they even factor in at all. The pressure of losing money will drive these folks to a solution.

MisterMacphisto
01-07-2010, 06:07 PM
the issue isnt just with the owners. I am not taking a side.
In the end i dont care how, but BOTH sides need to see what could happen if a strike were to happen.

Agreed.

IMO, both sides need to be told to make this work. Both should make serious concessions to make it work. I'm not taking sides.

Boris
01-07-2010, 07:13 PM
well, like i said, myself and rooneyrpb have been working on something since october that will outline how we (and other) groups feel

smeghead
01-07-2010, 08:02 PM
signed up. im fully with the players in their modest demands.

Detroit_TFC
01-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I understand what people are saying, wanting both the players and the league to not jeopardize or damage the upcoming season. But there is a lot of stuff that gets deferred because "it will be discussed in the next CBA negotiations." So people shouldn't freak when the players union throws their concerns on the table, it's about the only time that they can.

Steve
01-08-2010, 08:29 AM
I understand what people are saying, wanting both the players and the league to not jeopardize or damage the upcoming season. But there is a lot of stuff that gets deferred because "it will be discussed in the next CBA negotiations." So people shouldn't freak when the players union throws their concerns on the table, it's about the only time that they can.

I don't think people are freaking, but to side entirely with the players here seems rather naive. Frankly, if anything, the owners are more on the side of the fans than the players. The owners want to be able to get rid of underperforming players (which the fans want as well) .The owners want to get the best talent for the cheapest price (which the fans want too, because the more they pay, the more we pay).

Of course, I sympathize with the players in this as well, but I'm trying to say it's not a one sided issue. So no, I won't be taking sides in this.

Blixa
01-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I hate unions of any kind, therefore I have to support the owners. Half of these bozos can barely kick the ball right so ultimately they're getting paid what they're worth.