PDA

View Full Version : We Deserve MLS Cup

James17930
01-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Wouldn't you say?

Besides, wasn't it promised to us when we joined the league?

So givvit. 2010. :scarf::flare:

Pookie
01-06-2010, 11:10 AM
^ format appears to be changing.

Finish at the top of the table (or be the highest remaining seed) and make it through the playoffs and we'd host a final.

Parkdale
01-06-2010, 11:11 AM
I can see why Seattle got it last year, and they did a good job hosting.
This year is should be at BMO, and TFC should be in it to win it.

This Is Our Year

Toronto Gunner
01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
anybody catch PBs tweet the other day?

Paulbeirne (javascript:void(0);): Splitting hairs: if TFC hosts the MLS Cup Final and TFC is IN the MLS Cup Final, then it is no longer a "neutral" site... I'm only sayin'!

Don't know if it means anything or not.

James17930
01-06-2010, 11:13 AM
^ format appears to be changing.

Finish at the top of the table (or be the highest remaining seed) and make it through the playoffs and we'd host a final.

Nope -- they just announced it would be staying the same.

ensco
01-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Would we care, if TFC are not in it? Would we buy tickets in advance?

Most wouldn't, I'd wager.

Toronto Gunner
01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
^ they'll make it a mandatory condition for renewing season seats for 2011.

ensco
01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
^ they'll make it a mandatory condition for renewing season seats for 2011.

Aux barricades!

trane
01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
I do not care were the MLS cup is played, I just care that TFC is in it. Sure if they were in it, thenit would be nice that it were in Toronto. But otherwise I do not care.

OneLoveOneEric
01-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I would hate to see the MLS Cup in our ground if we're not playing in it.
It would just be rubbing my nose in it.

trane
01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
^ Agreed. 1000% [ a little something from Maury]

Phil
01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
I have a feeling we are in the running for it. Hopefully our team is too :D

Oldtimer
01-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Imagine if the Cup were in T.O. and TFC were in it.
The first Toronto playoff finalist in years.
The whole city would be abuzz.

james
01-06-2010, 01:37 PM
when TFC started in 2007 we were basicly promised an all-star game at BMO field and a MLS Cup Final by 2012.....so far we did get the all-star game!

Technorgasm
01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
lets nail these first. .

GET A GOAL
GET POSITIVE GD
WIN A GAME
GET PLAY OFFS
DIVSIONAL CHAMPS
CUP FINAL
CUP WIN

HOME OPENER WIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

yellowfellow
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I think it's likely given that we have grass now.

Hitcho
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
^ I dunno. It can get pissing cold up here around that time of year.

Hitcho
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I can see why Seattle got it last year, and they did a good job hosting.
This year is should be at BMO, and TFC should be in it to win it.

This Is Our Year

I like this big red refrain you have adopted Parky, but as much as I'd love it to be true, there's really not much to base it on. We stank for much of last season, and since then we've lost Guevara and Vitti who were probably our two most gifted footballers and Amado in particular was often the key for us going forward while he was here. We have no wide players (Jimmy excepted but he's mostly been a full back since he signed for us and there's talk of him asking for a lower wage and reduced role next season). Our defence is disturbingly shaky. We have no natural goal scorer or reliable finisher. Yes, we have a new coach (who is likely to be much better than any of our previous coaches) but so far he has nothing new to work with and we have nothing to speak of in terms of draft picks as things currently stand.

So whilst I love the optimism and I want to get on board with it, it would only be based on blind faith (the one true weapon of hope for all sports fans everywhere).

But still, let's hope you;re right dude! :D

torontocelt
01-06-2010, 07:00 PM
I like this big red refrain you have adopted Parky, but as much as I'd love it to be true, there's really not much to base it on. We stank for much of last season, and since then we've lost Guevara and Vitti who were probably our two most gifted footballers and Amado in particular was often the key for us going forward while he was here. We have no wide players (Jimmy excepted but he's mostly been a full back since he signed for us and there's talk of him asking for a lower wage and reduced role next season). Our defence is disturbingly shaky. We have no natural goal scorer or reliable finisher. Yes, we have a new coach (who is likely to be much better than any of our previous coaches) but so far he has nothing new to work with and we have nothing to speak of in terms of draft picks as things currently stand.

So whilst I love the optimism and I want to get on board with it, it would only be based on blind faith (the one true weapon of hope for all sports fans everywhere).

But still, let's hope you;re right dude! :D

At least we have still got DeRo and hopefully De Guzman will prove more influential next season. I really hope Gerba can get fit preseason, it would be a boost if he could actually run. Hopefully some of the younger players from last season will improve even more having gained more experience.

TFCtoMUFC
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Imagine if the Cup were in T.O. and TFC were in it.
The first Toronto playoff finalist in years.
The whole city would be abuzz.

TFC could win the FIFA Club World Cup and people would still rather watch the Leafs.

Roogsy
01-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't mind another MLS Cup in LA...it's a nice place to be in November. :D

But an MLS Cup game at BMO Field with TFC in it? I think I'd lose my mind.

sulfur
01-06-2010, 08:39 PM
^ I dunno. It can get pissing cold up here around that time of year.
On the day of the MLS Cup Final this year, Seattle was 5C cooler than Toronto. Oh, and it pissed rain there all day with blustery winds. We had a nice, almost windless day.

Just sayin'.

Canadian Blue
01-06-2010, 09:02 PM
TFC had years to go before they challenge for the MLS Cup

Hitcho
01-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't mind another MLS Cup in LA...it's a nice place to be in November. :D

But an MLS Cup game at BMO Field with TFC in it? I think I'd lose my mind.

Me too, but as much as the thought of that day fills me with unctrollable joy, it also fills me with dread and fear that TFC SSH would not be given access to their usual seats and there would instead be some kind of lottery as the tickets would be split among the teams taking part. Imagine TFC in an MLS Cup final at BMO Field and half of the SSSH not being able to get in. It makes me want to puke. Still, Joe's would be buzzin'! :drinking::drinking::drinking:

Redcoe15
01-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I'd prefer TFC playing for, and winning, an MLS Cup before hosting one. Just sayin'. :scarf:

Hitcho
01-06-2010, 09:10 PM
^ Oh come on, live the dream - we play in and win it at BMO FIELD BABY!!!!

Roogsy
01-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Me too, but as much as the thought of that day fills me with unctrollable joy, it also fills me with dread and fear that TFC SSH would not be given access to their usual seats and there would instead be some kind of lottery as the tickets would be split among the teams taking part. Imagine TFC in an MLS Cup final at BMO Field and half of the SSSH not being able to get in. It makes me want to puke. Still, Joe's would be buzzin'! :drinking::drinking::drinking:

Ugh..

Never thought of this...I am feeling a little sick to my stomach.

Redcoe15
01-06-2010, 09:15 PM
^ Oh come on, live the dream - we play in and win it at BMO FIELD BABY!!!!
Yes that would be so sweeeeet. But, if forced to choose, then it's TFC going for and winning the cup all the way.

Hitcho
01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Ugh..

Never thought of this...I am feeling a little sick to my stomach.

The first time I saw this dreamed about on the boards it went straight through my mind. "FUCKING A!!!! But what if I don't get my seats?"

This is probably one of the major reasons why final venues are always neutral. I mean yeah, sure, be fair to both sides and all that, but also avoid major fucking riots from your fan base by telling SSH they cannot have their seats for the final.

Fuck that for a game of soldiers!

James17930
01-06-2010, 10:01 PM
But think about it -- if we're hosting it, that just gives us an added, extra incentive to reach the Cup (not that we should need such extra incentive, theoretically, but you know how it is).

JuliquE
01-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I'd rather not have people thinking we only made it to/won the cup final because of home field advantage.

Let's win it first and prove ourselves, thusly.. then host it the following year (or the one after that).

Yagbod
01-07-2010, 12:00 AM
They could... host it at BMO if no TFC, and then shift it to the Skydome if TFC is in the CUP Final. That way we all get tickets and they can put down grass a la Madrid's appearance.

It would not be ideal by any stretch of the imagination. I would much rather watch a match like that at our 'home', but I do fear the idea of a lottery, or worse.

James17930
01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
They could... host it at BMO if no TFC, and then shift it to the Skydome if TFC is in the CUP Final. That way we all get tickets and they can put down grass a la Madrid's appearance.

It would not be ideal by any stretch of the imagination. I would much rather watch a match like that at our 'home', but I do fear the idea of a lottery, or worse.

I've thought about that possibility, but I don't think it would work. They'd only have a week to get things ready at the Dome. I don't think that would be enough time to arrange a field and get everything else done they'd need to.

stugautz
01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I've thought about that possibility, but I don't think it would work. They'd only have a week to get things ready at the Dome. I don't think that would be enough time to arrange a field and get everything else done they'd need to.

They'd use the field turf the Argos use. Just wash out the lines (as best they can) and put up some nets.

I think the bigger issue would be relocating season seat holders. Will South End ticket holders fit in the end zone facing the jumbo tron? What about the overflow, where do they go?

deltox
01-07-2010, 11:30 AM
and on one would want to pay the rent for that game at the rogers centre.

rogers would not allow it to be booked "just in case" we make the final.

Technorgasm
01-07-2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.wackypackages2007.com/images/ANS3/not-butter.jpg

Technorgasm
01-07-2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.wackypackages2007.com/images/ANS3/12-not-better.jpg

james
01-07-2010, 05:10 PM
On the day of the MLS Cup Final this year, Seattle was 5C cooler than Toronto. Oh, and it pissed rain there all day with blustery winds. We had a nice, almost windless day.

Just sayin'.

Average low for Seattle that time of year is +4 average high +10, for Toronto the average low is 0 and average high +9. But then you never know, obviously every city has its days above average and below average.
Average low temperatures for cities like Glasgow and Manchester in January are +1...almost the same as our November low, we can handle it.

Globetrotter
01-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Why all this talk of a neutral site? Seattle could have been in the finals last year. LA (or chivas) technically could have made the finals at HDC the year before that, and so on.

Putting the game in Toronto this year would be a good idea since TFC is as likely to play in the final game as the Winnipeg Jets are.

Torontotonto
01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Wouldn't you say?

Besides, wasn't it promised to us when we joined the league?

So givvit. 2010. :scarf::flare:

Think were on the right track in 2010.
I have faith in Preki, he will bring us to the promise land.

Go TFC Go...

:scarf::flare::drum::flare::scarf:

Thanks for the memories Danny #9

Derko
01-08-2010, 05:57 AM
lets nail these first. .

GET A GOAL
GET POSITIVE GD
WIN A GAME
GET PLAY OFFS
DIVSIONAL CHAMPS
CUP FINAL
CUP WIN

HOME OPENER WIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Funny, I was just thinking yesterday how it would be nice for a Home Opener Win this season.
:drinking::scarf:

SweetOwnGoal
01-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Proof of the promise MLS made to TFC:

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/01/proof-of-promise-garbers-words.html

nascarguy
01-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I really do not care if we get the mls cup here in Toronto it should be at a neutral site but that is hard to plan on little notice the easy way out is to put it at a non mls city.

Redcoe15
01-11-2010, 03:10 PM

Instant incentive! :flare::drum: :scarf: :tfc: :scarf: :drum::flare:

stugautz
01-11-2010, 03:24 PM

He says he's committed to bring the MLS cup to Toronto by 2012. Is that the same level of commitment MLSE has towards winning?

Canadian Blue
01-13-2010, 09:08 PM
He says he's committed to bring the MLS cup to Toronto by 2012. Is that the same level of commitment MLSE has towards winning?

Agreed MLSE/Toronto FC do not deserve the MLS Cup until they can field a team that can compete........