PDA

View Full Version : Extra Seating at BMO approved!

JDG
01-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Just posted by the Mayor on Facebook:

Mayor David Miller (http://www.facebook.com/mayordavidmiller?ref=nf) Executive Committee approves 1,249 new seats at BMO Field/National Soccer Stadium at sole cost of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. about a minute ago (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=feed&story_fbid=238092076359&id=1075347765&ref=nf)

and on Twitter:

mayormiller (http://twitter.com/mayormiller)

Executive Committee approves 1,249 new seats at BMO Field/National Soccer Stadium at sole cost of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. 4 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/mayormiller/status/7369397685)from TwitterBerry (http://orangatame.com/products/twitterberry/)

Stencils
01-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Interesting :)

Nodoubtguy
01-04-2010, 10:14 AM
nice

Bloor West FC
01-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Cool, I guess this is the North End?

Parkdale
01-04-2010, 10:18 AM
yep, those numbers jive with the talk of the north end seats.

Parkdale
01-04-2010, 10:18 AM
but the real questions.....

Did they approve 1249 cup holders?!?!

ManUtd4ever
01-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I was hoping this would become official after it was initially reported by Paul B. during the Argo's fiasco...

billyfly
01-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Another step in "the plan".

billyfly
01-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I like this:

"BMO Field/National Soccer Stadium"

ManUtd4ever
01-04-2010, 10:47 AM
BMO is actually going to start looking like an authentic football ground this season. I can't wait for the home opener!

Roogsy
01-04-2010, 10:48 AM
More atmosphere at BMO Field baby!

Well done Mayor Miller and well done Toronto FC. :hurray:

CoachGT
01-04-2010, 10:48 AM

That's no way to refer to the fans that will sit in those seats......

Auzzy
01-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Just a note that this was approved only by the Executive Committee today. I assume it still has to be approved by the full council? There may be a bit more "grandstanding" there, with election season officially starting right now, and after the recent Argos fiasco.

boban
01-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I like this:

"National Soccer Stadium/BMO Field"
Fixed ;)

Stugatzo
01-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Council won't vote against it.

billyfly
01-04-2010, 11:32 AM
^There you have it ladies and gents.

Roogsy
01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Council won't vote against it.

LOL! Rob Ford might just out of principle and arrogance.

rocker
01-04-2010, 12:37 PM
here are the images for anyone who hasn't seen em. I'll be curious to see what difference another 1300 people has in terms of stadium volume.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/bmoexpand3.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/bmoexpand2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/bmoexpand1.jpg

wzhxvy
01-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Its better than nothing in my opinion...but we needed to build out the north end and close it...this is basically a bleacher put in the north end...it would have been nice if this project included closing out some of the corners in the stadium as well...regardless more capacity for fans is always a good thing...

scooter
01-04-2010, 12:47 PM

that would be cool but such practical measures would mean less spilt beers and could affect revenues :drum::drum:

billyfly
01-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Those trees look a lot healthier than I remember them.

stugautz
01-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Will these be seats or benches?

Voodooman
01-04-2010, 12:53 PM
When will this expansion start?

Mark in Ottawa
01-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Will some of these seats become the allotment for visiting fans?
I seem to recall some discussions about travelling fan seat allotments at the MLS supporters summit held during the last MLS cup week.

Parkdale
01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Those trees look a lot healthier than I remember them.

yeah, no joke.

can't say I like the idea of seats with an 'impaired view' of the field, but it's not like I'll be in them.

TorCanSoc
01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
DP. Grass. A new coach. An argos block. Stadium improvements. What the hell is going on. I can't take all these positive steps in what.... 5 months?

:)

Oldtimer
01-04-2010, 01:27 PM
DP. Grass. A new coach. An argos block. Stadium improvements. What the hell is going on. I can't take all these positive steps in what.... 5 months?

Add going far in the playoffs and I'll be happy. :)

Parkdale
01-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Add going far in the playoffs and I'll be happy. :)

THIS IS OUR YEAR

BuSaPuNk
01-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Great news. I didn't pick up a ransom pack this year. This along with ticket trader here will really help this year.

Marco2K
01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
does anyone else see little mcdonald logos on the precast columns??
whats up with that?

billyfly
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
McDonalds Zone! (they stopped advertising at Ricoh so they just moved the signage over)

GlenM
01-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Good Stuff!

GlenM

Redcoe15
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
This should add another barricade to keep the Argos from attempting to move into BMO Field. :D

Maybe, in the future, we can see a roof covering the stands?

Hitcho
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Looking at the colour image above (assuming it is to scale and accurate) I don;t think the north end seats will do much (if anything) in terms of keeping the fan noise in the stadium. There are huge expanses to either side of the new stand and none of the corners in BMO Field are filled in, plus we only have one "high" stand (on the west). Having said that, if you get 1250 additional noisy people in each game day, then that coupled with whatever "noise retaining effect" we do get should make some difference.

As to the Argos issue, I'm not sure if the new stand would be a premanent block to that idea, but it must at the very least increase the retrofitting costs if the Argos ever try and gain entry again. I think someone (PB?) once posted something along the lines of that the huge concrete block under the north end which can accommodate a stage if necessary would be a major cost impediment to the Argos coming in as they would have to rip that out and it would cost a bomb. Actually, if that's accurate then it may also have impacted on any designs for a new north stand.

Anyway, definitely glad to have it in place for next season. Little by little, we'll make BMO Field look and sound like a fortress and then it;s down to Preki and the boys to actually make it one! :D:D:D

MartinUtd
01-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Maybe now would be a good time for the FO to step up the vigilance with regards to the scalper problem. If they don't we all know where those 1249 seats will be going.

Technorgasm
01-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Roof.

Knthnxbye:hump:

Always There
01-04-2010, 05:39 PM
LOL! Rob Ford might just out of principle and arrogance.

No doubt!

106-12
01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
can we buy them all ?

James17930
01-04-2010, 08:54 PM
:party:

MUFC_Niagara
01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I am happy more seats are going in, but that north stand looks shit. It's a step in the right direction but cover the whole end. Certainly they can build seats over the corporate suites. At any rate, I am sure Boris will be trying to secure RPB seats in that location!

Hitcho
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Guys, Paul B has already said at least twice that the seats will be walk ups for next season. His plan is to try and service some of the TFC fans that are not regular ticket holders.

Personally, I think the seats might go into the season ticket pool for the 2011 season, especially if they struggle to sell out the north stand through walk ups every match. They couldn't make the new seats part of the SSH allocation this year because approval came through too late for the relocation gig and all the existing SSHs would be pissed as hell if they gave the new seats to the waiting list without giving first dibs on relocation to existing SSHs (especially the guys who have expensive seats just to get a foot in the door and are waiting to shift down). But we'll see what happens I guess. Filling out the sides of the north end and adding it to the SSH pool for 2011 would be my preference.

Yagbod
01-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I think that the original plan was to have seats over the 'suites'. Anselmi told me 2000 seats was the plan, so that makes me think it could happen down the line. Or possibly there is a space issue, i.e. not enough room on the sides for access?

Anyway, I agree it should close off the north end completely, it would be best. Much better sound.

I further agree that this should go for SSH next year. Consider our 'Fortress' now and then add in a North End filled with true supporters. The abuse on the goalie would be unrelenting.

Mark in Ottawa
01-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Guys, Paul B has already said at least twice that the seats will be walk ups for next season. His plan is to try and service some of the TFC fans that are not regular ticket holders.
This sort of fits with the league wanting teams to provide visiting fans with a large block of seats for away games. If the visiting team doesn't need them they return them to the home team who then sells them as walk ups at game time.

Oldtimer
01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I can't see these seats becoming Seasons Seats any time. Paul B. will want to avoid the mistake that the Jays did early on by allowing to much of the Skydome to become Seasons Seats. He'll want to broaden the appeal of the team, instead.

This also reduces the scalping problem at the same time, at no effort to the club.

Mark in Ottawa
01-05-2010, 09:48 AM
This also reduces the scalping problem at the same time, at no effort to the club.
Hmmm... good point.

Huyton
01-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Weren't visiting fans put in 104 before? They can open up that for Seasons tickets now. Move non-supporters group members there out of the south stand.

That'll get me closer to Nirvana - a seat to put my beer on in the South Stand.

Hitcho
01-05-2010, 12:31 PM
This sort of fits with the league wanting teams to provide visiting fans with a large block of seats for away games. If the visiting team doesn't need them they return them to the home team who then sells them as walk ups at game time.

No, Paul B. went live on air with Ben Rycroft et al to say that he won;t be making the new seats available to away fans. he wants to give them to TFC fans first.

Oldtimer - you could well be right on the non-SSH designation of the new seats. It makes sense to have a small-ish block of seats that are walk ups only. If we ever see a major expansion of BMO Field then that's probably the time that we'll see more SSH seats made available.

Not sure why the scalper issue will be eased by this though - they can just as easily send people up to the windows when they open and buy up chunks of tickets, then walk down the road and sell them to people arriving by transit. It actually makes it easier for scalpers to get hold of tickets, not harder. Although I guess the benefits are: A) no e-bay advance scalper sales for these seats at stupidly inflated prices; and B) greater risk for the scalpers as they have less time to sell the tickets on (if the tickets are sold on game day only).

Pookie
01-05-2010, 12:45 PM

... whether they open up to STHs in 2011 will probably depend on whether he launches the "Membership plan" and how successful it is.

Detroit_TFC
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
How obstructed are those obstructed seats? Will they be able to see over the video sign (ie just the close corner view obstructed)? If they are quite obstructed, probably better to just take the seats out of inventory. They still should be discounted as obs view seats.

Imagine spending $35 to see 2/3s of the field, my head would explode.

deltox
01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
maybe these walk up sale seats will have bracelets that need to be put on each person at time of sale.

if they are cut....NO ENTRY.

that way scalpers cannot buy them

Parkdale
01-05-2010, 01:10 PM
let's be honest here:

if the team doesn't start performing better, people won't be walking up and demand will fizzle.
Scalpers wont be buying up extra seats, mostly because they had a hell of a time unloading
the seats they had last year. If the team performs poorly, we'll still be there, but Toronto
is a fickle sports audience, and if we don't win half of our first 6 games.... expect numbers to drop.

Joe Kool
01-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't see how these would be strictly walk up tickets. I would think that he meant they would go for public sale through ticketmaster like everything else. Holding 1249 seats for game day hoping for 1249 walk-ups is not a smart idea. Some games the stand will be half empty if the weather is questionable. Also, I wouldn't take the chance to drive all the way down to BMO, pay for parking then find out that the tickets for that day were sold out already. If I was in the position making that call I wouldn't want to take the chance. It makes better sense to sell all of the games as single game sales the way they do it with the rest of the tickets then they can guarantee they sell them out ahead of time plus it services the non-STH community.

BuSaPuNk
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't see how these would be strictly walk up tickets. I would think that he meant they would go for public sale through ticketmaster like everything else. Holding 1249 seats for game day hoping for 1249 walk-ups is not a smart idea. Some games the stand will be half empty if the weather is questionable. Also, I wouldn't take the chance to drive all the way down to BMO, pay for parking then find out that the tickets for that day were sold out already. If I was in the position making that call I wouldn't want to take the chance. It makes better sense to sell all of the games as single game sales the way they do it with the rest of the tickets then they can guarantee they sell them out ahead of time plus it services the non-STH community.

That's excatly what I thought when PB said they would be game day sales. Probably sold as regular tickets through ticketmaster and then probably a percentage of them being held with the other holds and released 2 weeks before the game until game time.

boban
01-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I sure hope they would hold about 300 of these tickets for a real away supporters section. That would be insane with chants going back and forth.
Just not the same with them up in the end along the sideline.
It was ok at first I guess, but sucks to the point it is nonexistent after season 1 after they reduced that number.

Blizzard
01-05-2010, 04:53 PM
How obstructed are those obstructed seats? Will they be able to see over the video sign (ie just the close corner view obstructed)? If they are quite obstructed, probably better to just take the seats out of inventory. They still should be discounted as obs view seats.

Ya, just the corner area on their side.

Chevy
01-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Look on the bright side - if Garcia is in the 1/3 that you're missing you can consider them premium seats.

Sonny Cheeba
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
why don't they just get rid of those video boards on top of the ticket office and the group sales building??

or at least move them. they're not that necessary. everyone can see the 50/50 winner on the taller screen anyhow.

well except those in that baby stand.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
one down one to go!......

Roof next! :)

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/4977/25398249.png

rocker
01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
maybe they could move the screens to the back of the buildings. i'm not sure if a few feet back would change the angles and free up the view.

Hitcho
01-05-2010, 05:41 PM
let's be honest here:

if the team doesn't start performing better, people won't be walking up and demand will fizzle.
Scalpers wont be buying up extra seats, mostly because they had a hell of a time unloading
the seats they had last year. If the team performs poorly, we'll still be there, but Toronto
is a fickle sports audience, and if we don't win half of our first 6 games.... expect numbers to drop.

Maybe. People said TFC would never take off. Then they said demand would fizzle if we still sucked after three years. Granted, we've got a DP and new grass going down, but based on results we still suck. And yet the waiting list is as strong as ever and there are countless people on these boards chomping for season tickets to the extent they are prepared to buy dark greys and hope to trade down to something affordable later even though they cannot really afford it.

I think TFC has got a good thing going on and I cannot see it fizzling in the short term. Sure, North American sports have fickle fans. But soccer isn't a North American sport. Many of the TFC fans are used to supporting teams who suck in other leagues and countries. No-one seems to be dropping out based on results yet, so why would they after six games of next season? That goes across the entire SSH base and I still have people who are "casual" fans at work asking me for tickets, even in the off season and even though they've never played the game or been to a match.

My feeling is that the latent support for TFC is strong and will stand the test of time. This is a unique sports market in North American terms. The fan base is different, and not as fickle. And to many people this is a new thing, a curiosity and theya re still trying to get to their first game. Plus you've got all the parents trying to get tickets for their kids who play soccer (which is a majority of kids these days I expect). We might be the noisy fans, but we're not going to be the only ones left any time soon.

Just my 2 cents...

Hitcho
01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

You know, I think this is probably right. It makes way more sense. And in that case, the scalper issue as probably worse now than it ever was.

Although people forget - WE hate scalpers but MLSE loves them. They keep up demand and they allow for good attendance numbers to be announced at half time even if the place looks partially empty.

Torontotonto
01-05-2010, 07:44 PM
[/font]
THIS IS OUR YEAR

THIS IS OUR HOUSE
THIS IS OUR TFC
THIS IS OUR YEAR

SURE HOPE THERE'S NOT A STRIKE OR LOCK OUT

North End stands look great and will enhance the atmosphere, but I'll sure miss grabbing a quick beer before or after a match there.

Thanks for the memories Danny....

:scarf::drum::flare::drum::scarf:

Flint
01-07-2010, 05:12 PM
good start mabye a top deck on the east side and south side similar to the west side?? Toronto can easily pack a 30,000 seat stadium.

JDG
01-07-2010, 05:56 PM
...North End stands look great and will enhance the atmosphere, but I'll sure miss grabbing a quick beer before or after a match there.

Thanks for the memories Danny....

:scarf::drum::flare::drum::scarf:

The beer garden will still be there - it'll be covered now, and the frontage will only be 9' high.

Joe Kool
01-08-2010, 10:01 AM

I think the very least they could do, which I have seen in other stadiums with obstructed seats, is add monitors to the back of each video sign so the when there is action in the corner you can't see you just glance over to the monitors. Bonus for them is they can put all their advertising playing through them at halftime as well so better chance of people in that stand seeing it without turning around to look at the big video board. Also, they won't get as much flack from people who have a seat there that didn't know they were coming to an obstructed seat. I think this is important Mr Paul B. if you are reading this.

James17930
01-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Someone mentioned earlier that they should just remove those two smaller boards and move them to the south end of the stadium somewhere.

That would make a lot of sense, since they have to install something down there for the north sitters anyway.

Gobi
01-08-2010, 11:15 AM
why don't they just get rid of those video boards on top of the ticket office and the group sales building??

or at least move them. they're not that necessary. everyone can see the 50/50 winner on the taller screen anyhow.

well except those in that baby stand.

They're jam-packed with advertising.
MLSE will never remove a source of revenue.

flatpicker
01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
^ I've never understood why they don't post the names and faces of goal scorers on those boards.
As well as red/yellow card announcements.

Apparently they can't interfere with the video of the big screen.
But those small screens would be perfect for that, and help new fans get to know players better.

Toronto Ruffrider
01-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that they should just remove those two smaller boards and move them to the south end of the stadium somewhere.

That would make a lot of sense, since they have to install something down there for the north sitters anyway.

I would be fine with that. Those smaller boards seem redundant to me - there is rarely anything useful on them, and the bigger scoreboard is better for ads anyway. If I had a say, I'd move the smaller boards to the south end and convert them into auxiliary scoreboards.

Carts
01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
^ I've never understood why they don't post the names and faces of goal scorers on those boards.

But those small screens would be perfect for that, and help new fans get to know players better.

I think if you proposed that idea to Paul, it might happen...

It would draw attention to video boards, where the sponsors live. More eyes towards the sponsors is a "better sell" when selling that ad space...

I never, repeat NEVER look at the small video boards as nothing is really on them... But simple match updates would work.

I have often missed the 'Yellow Card' announcement, or can't tell who it is from the opposit side of the pitch, have that info up for 1-2-3 mins after the card - and the majority of the stadium would probably have a glance over - just to confirm who it is...

Hell, you could sponsor the annoucement. Yellow Cards could be sponsored by 'X-Copper Traffic Services' etc LOL...

But I agree, the smaller boards could be used to get live match info (Cards, Subs, Goals) to the fans, while the main board contiunes to the game action and replays...

Carts...

TOBOR !
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I've never understood why they don't post the names and faces of goal scorers on those boards.

you should just add that to your sig :)

flatpicker
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
^ maybe I will...

TOBOR !
01-08-2010, 12:23 PM
^ good.

flatpicker
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
^ Done :)

TOBOR !
01-08-2010, 01:13 PM
^ I'm glad that's settled.

:drinking:

mlsintoronto
01-08-2010, 02:44 PM

Um...thats a good idea. See Boss? me lurking on these boards on company time pays off...(once per year.)

flatpicker
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
^ It really feels good to be acknowledged!

I'm glad I could help... I look forward to this in the 2010 season!
Hopefully there will be lots of Toronto goals to post on the screens!