PDA

View Full Version : MLS-EPL Team chart

ArmenJBX
01-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Coming from MLSR: http://www.mls-rumors.net/5388/2010/01/report-which-mls-clubs-resemble-which-epl-clubs/

Chicago Fire = Liverpool FC :: Chicago Fire is a quality club that is also a serious contender for the cup every single season. Like “The Reds”, Chicago tends to have many slight bumps along the road where they’ll tie two and lose three in their last 5 matches for example. Overall, great team with great supporters. Behind the goal support, just like The Kop.

Chivas USA = Sunderland :: Just like the black cats, Chivas USA have a load of talent in their squad, including international players, but just can’t seem to get the job done. Sunderland have been doing quite well in the EPL over the last 2 season, much like Chivas but the two teams always get cut short in the playoffs or the final Europa League spot.

Colorado Rapids = Wigan Athletic :: Main problem with Colorado is shaky attendance. There’ll be a match where 15K show up and there’ll be a match where you’ll get a mere 7K in attendance. Colorado is another team who have a couple quality players on their squad, like Wigan but bring no results to the table. The Rapids find themselves chasing a final playoff berth, while Wigan battles relegation fears.

Columbus Crew = Aston Villa :: Columbus and Villa, teams that emerged in 2008 as one of the best teams in their respective leagues. Villa qualifying for Europa and the Crew qualifying for the CONCACAF Champions League. Both clubs have extraordinary support. Although Columbus doesn’t get 18-20K a game, the Nordecke makes up for that loss.

DC United = Arsenal London :: Both teams play in relatively large stadiums with great support. DC United have a tradition of collecting silverware, although that cannot really be said for their recent years, much like the Gunners. Chris Pontius, Aaron Ramsey, both young guns with a lot to prove.

FC Dallas = Bolton Wanderers :: It seems like every season is the same for these two teams. Bolton and Dallas seem to just never change. Never improve or never fail is what looks to be the deal with these two teams. Mediocre attendance with players that fail to impress. If MLS had promotion/relegation leagues, Dallas would probably be fighting to stay alive, as Bolton is right now.

Houston Dynamo = Manchester United :: The Red Devils and The Dynamo have something that relates the two together. Ever since their star player left, both of these teams have struggled to stand out in their leagues as expected. DeRo was the case for The Dynamo, as was Cristiano Ronaldo for Man U. Both attacking midfielder, both great losses. Overall, exceptional teams with a great, loyal fan base.

Kansas City Wizards = Blackburn Rovers :: Perfect connection here. Wizards and Rovers are both teams that did it big in previous years, both winning the cup once, but failing to perform under that standard in the years to come. Kanasas City Wizards had a quite horrific 2009 as did Blackburn. Chances in management and the coaching staff, certainly had a negative impact on the teams. Attendance has also been on the low as both of these teams can’t sell out their stadium on a regular basis.

LA Galaxy = Manchester City :: Really there is one answer to this, AEG = Mr.Mansour. These ownership groups are quite the answer for these clubs’ recent success. David Beckham and Bruce Arena’s new 2009 Army had led them all the way to Seattle just as the countless stars of the Eastlands will most likely finish in a respectable league position. Great crowds with even greater players.

New England Revolution = Everton FC :: Both of these teams originally had great expectations considering what they have accomplished before. The Revs were almost always the runners-up in every final they had played in. The Blues have had tremendous seasons over the past couple of years but have stumbled upon some tough times as they now look to now make it in the top ten and the Revs just have to start getting on their tradition of success in the playoffs.

New York Red Bulls = Portmouth :: Pompey- 2008 F.A. Cup Winners, NYRB- 2008 MLS CUP finalists. Pompey – Dead Last as of right now, NYRB- Dead Last in 2009. Great clubs with great potential but have gotten in some devastating times as both of these teams could not have finished of the year on a worse note. These teams are now under new management and as well as coaching staff (at least for Pompey) and will look to start off 2010 in a more comforting way.

Real Salt Lake = Tottenham Hotspur :: RSL and Spurs were relatively average teams until the 2009 year came about. Although in different ways, both of these teams are finding success right now. Spurs, being currently 4th in the table and RSL winning 3 silverware over the past season. (MLS Cup, Rocky-Mountain Cup, Eastern Conference Trophy). With confidence up, both of these teams are almost sure to repeat the same kind of success and keep the momentum rolling. RSL will have to follow Tottenham’s steps however, and start off strong from the get go, in order to not have an unsecured playoff spot until the last day of the regular season.

San Jose Earthquakes = West Ham United :: The retro days of these teams were the glory days of these teams. West Ham in their Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, days were bringing a lot of smiles to Upton Park just like San Jose before they were relocated. The Donovan, DeRo, days were ones that Earthquakes fans will truly remember. Again, both quality teams that are in serious struggle to get back in the roll of things.

Seattle Sounders = Chelsea FC :: When you watch an EPL match at Stamford Bridge, you see one of the most cleanest and well kept football grounds in all of England surrounded by a roar of supporters. The Sounders are truly the Chelsea of MLS. Chelsea can be in someway treated as an expansion team because they broke out in 2004 under Mourinho just as Seattle did under Sigi. Over 30K a match with support that cannot be described in words. Seattle and Chelsea not only are one of the big dogs in their leagues, but have a heck of a team as well.

Toronto FC = Fulham FC :: Toronto and Fulham are very excellent clubs that seem to be getting better and better every season. Fulham’s run in the Europa league will hopefully be next year matched with Toronto debuting in thr MLS playoffs. Both of these clubs have sold-out games on a regular basis with young stars on the rise.

Future Predictions:
Philladephia Union = Burnley
Portland Timbers = Stoke City
Vancouver Whitecaps = Wolves

Dirk Diggler
01-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Wow ... the people at MLSR have too much time on their hands.

[NBF]
01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
The fact that they actually did this list is laughable:D Too much celebrating or a dare:rolleyes:?
The fact that they wanted to support their argument by printing a paragraph......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .....................................well that deserves more Picards than can be allowed on this post:picard::picard::picard::picard::picard::picar d::picard::picard:

[NBF]
01-02-2010, 12:02 AM
DC United = Arsenal London :: Both teams play in relatively large stadiums with great support. DC United have a tradition of collecting silverware, although that cannot really be said for their recent years, much like the Gunners. Chris Pontius, Aaron Ramsey, both young guns with a lot to prove.

"To Be Announced" = Arsene Wenger, both are very shrewed negotiators. They're both unique in their style of coaching and they both have a laid back approach.

I think they added the last sentence just to cement the argument.

Brooker
01-02-2010, 12:09 AM
How in the fuck is Seattle like Chelski? good lord. and MLSR continue to deny they have a crush on the Sounders. Now I don't blame people for bitching in the past.

Vancouver is Wolves. always knew they were cunts.

james
01-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Arsenal has alot of support but honestly DC United have a better atmosphere then Arsenal do, Arsenal Emrites stadium has to be one of the quitests place to play in. But ya serious this list is stupid.

Whoop
01-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Haha.

Toronto FC = Fulham

Has anyone mentioned this to Flush? LOL

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-02-2010, 01:24 AM
More than a little lame, but I like MLSR. Would have though they'd be reviewing the best rumours of the season, instead pairing up MLS and EPL teams? Not sure that any of the parings make much sense. Arsenal London?! I know that there a few other team with Arsenal in their names throughout the world, but I think in this context we might have know what MLSR meant.

Aroundtheworld
01-02-2010, 03:45 AM
I'd say in MLS right now you have three big teams in terms of revenue, popularity and scope: Seattle, LA and Toronto. Vancouver will probably join this group when they join MLS.

Don Julio
01-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Fulham is like TFC in one way.

Neither of us give a shit about Eddie Johnson.

TorCanSoc
01-02-2010, 08:33 AM
That list is horrifying.

MartinUtd
01-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I can't wait till they do a La Liga and Serie A list

Oldtimer
01-02-2010, 09:33 AM
What a "great" analysis. :prrr:

Detroit_TFC
01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Jesus, please let this offseason pass quickly, this stuff is killing me.

TOBOR !
01-02-2010, 02:12 PM
what shit.

DOMIN8R
01-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Another example of a footie blog/website struggling for interesting content to keep readers interested.

zeelaw
01-02-2010, 02:27 PM
We are Spurs, major signings, no trophies.

TFCtoMUFC
01-02-2010, 02:36 PM
We are Barcelona. Neither of us are in the EPL.

Keegan
01-02-2010, 04:09 PM
TFC is like Newcastle, we take all their rejects. We have great fan support, tons of money which we waste and we would be relegated to the USL if it was possible. Oh and we switch coaches every season

Redcoe15
01-02-2010, 10:43 PM
TFC is like Newcastle, we take all their rejects. We have great fan support, tons of money which we waste and we would be relegated to the USL if it was possible. Oh and we switch coaches every season
OWWWW!!! That's so painful because it's true.

[NBF]
01-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Columbus Crew = Aston Villa :: Columbus and Villa, teams that emerged in 2008 as one of the best teams in their respective leagues. Villa qualifying for Europa and the Crew qualifying for the CONCACAF Champions League. Both clubs have extraordinary support. Although Columbus doesn’t get 18-20K a game, the Nordecke makes up for that loss.

WTF is a Nordecke????? hahahahahahahahahahahah:D

Shakes McQueen
01-03-2010, 03:55 AM
What a stupid, stupid article.

- Scott

bertal
01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
That list is horrifying.

couldn't have said it better myself

e-karam
01-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Arsenal has alot of support but honestly DC United have a better atmosphere then Arsenal do, Arsenal Emrites stadium has to be one of the quitests place to play in. But ya serious this list is stupid.

Actually, I don't think the loudest of MLS stadiums can match up to the emirates stadium, or any EPL stadium.

Razcle
01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
So not worth a response, but yet I feel the need to tell everyone that. Can't properly compare the MLS teams with EPL teams given the short history (or no history) of all MLS clubs.

Oblio2
01-03-2010, 10:55 PM
We are Spurs, major signings, no trophies.
Spurs have trophies

FluSH
01-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Haha.

Toronto FC = Fulham

Has anyone mentioned this to Flush? LOL

haha I've been M.I.A. for a bit... but I just saw this and I am smiling with Joy! :D

trane
01-04-2010, 10:26 AM
I do not understand the point of this.

I think it would be more interesting if it was a comparison in terms of squad/tactics formations, but this seems of little value.

Derko
01-04-2010, 12:24 PM
a cute article worth 1 read, no need to get angry or excited

Happy New Year

MartinUtd
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I do not understand the point of this.

I think it would be more interesting if it was a comparison in terms of squad/tactics formations, but this seems of little value.

You see, that would require research and analysis. Neither of which are prominent on MLSR.

trane
01-04-2010, 12:32 PM
^ Great point.

Belfast_Boy
01-04-2010, 12:32 PM
did i seriously just read all that..... ffs..... nicotine withdrawal is making my brain soft.

article = waste of time.

better article: Toronto FC = Toronto FC, we have an identity. wanna see it? watch a game.

Toronto_Bhoy
01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I have just wasted 6 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

This kind of stuff is the very reason I am spending less time of this board…and in the MLS sections.

Beach_Red
01-04-2010, 02:10 PM
It does show you what MLS is up against, though. No wonder it's so hard to market this league.

Kilgore Trout
01-04-2010, 04:14 PM
How in the fuck is Seattle like Chelski
plastic, arrogant schmucks for fans.

Anyway, I`m a Fulham fan from living in Fulham (and other parts of London, but mostly Fulham) as a kid, and I fail to see any similarity at all.

When I became a fan of Fulham it was the season they finished 17th out of 24 clubs in Division 3. At the time the idea of Fulham finishing 7th in the Premier League in 13 seasons seemed utterly laughable, but I`d probably have laughed harder at the prospect of a sustainable football club in Toronto with a good following...

Antoshka
01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
toronto is newcastle, in so many fuckign ways.