PDA

View Full Version : Mo and/or Preki. Will the arrangement work??

bgnewf
12-31-2009, 09:45 AM
TFC has a relatively unique management setup vis-a-vis the rest of the league with Mo having the "Director of Soccer/General Manager" role and Preki of course as our Head Coach.

Puting my bias out there you need to know that I am not a Mo fan. I have previously promised to lay off him this upcoming season considering Mo claims that he'll leave at the end of next season if we don't make the playoffs. With that in mind I am not going to start in on him here.

What I wanted to know was if any of you in the know would perhaps speculate about how the arrangement will work between these two guys when it comes to player movement/signings etc.?

Will they be true collaborators? Does Mo pull rank and make the final decisions? Could this relatively unique arrangement create uncertainty and conflict? Or will it be a model that others in MLS will want to emulate?

Looking forward to hear your responses.

TFCtoMUFC
12-31-2009, 09:47 AM
I think Preki has more of a say then Mo at this point. The Guevara move was what made me think that at first. I also think Mo realizes his free ride may be over and if he lets Preki make decisions and then he executes them then he might be making good moves.

Pookie
12-31-2009, 09:52 AM
I kind of see this working as a quasi-Chairman (Mo) and Manager (Preki) situation.

Preki identifies the players he needs and Mo makes the money available to get them.

Of course, MLSE has a Board of Directors and Mo reports into a President which is different.

For the most part, I think that the Board/President is there for the initial budget and then Mo takes over from there. It may be one more rubber stamp than a traditional Chairman might enjoy but I don't think the stamp comes out very often.

Oldtimer
12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
NO! It won't work! We're doomed!!!!

(okay, why don't we wait and see before we start worrying)?

wzhxvy
12-31-2009, 10:51 AM
As in all relationships...the test is during the tough times. I imagine Mo will let Preki do his thing until there is a losing streak or Mo starts feeling the heat for whatever reason. Then he will inevitably meddle...how Preki reacts will determine the outcome.

Beach_Red
12-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Different leagues have different models. This one is close to the NHL/NBA model that MLSE is quite familiar with.

I find it intersting that the NFL won't allow an ownership group that includes a board of directors - it has to be an individual owner. Clearly that league feels that's where the problems start. And that league's coach/GM relationship is different than the NHL/NBA model.

So, maybe with this kind of ownership, some insulation between the board and the team is a good idea.

THA BUTCHA
12-31-2009, 10:59 AM
NO! It won't work! We're doomed!!!!

You may be joking but honestly your right. It wont work.

boban
12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
(okay, why don't we wait and see before we start worrying)?
Because it's the offseason an d people have nothing better to do.

Roogsy
12-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Because it's the offseason an d people have nothing better to do.

Should we just lock up the forums until March?

Sounds to me like this topic isn't one that would matter if it's the off-season or not, people will wonder and discuss anyways. I do wonder what people mean by "it's the offseason" like the discussions we have here somehow change once the MLS season ends. I don't see it.

rocker
12-31-2009, 11:30 AM
i don't see any signs why it wouldn't work.

these two are good buddies (read somewhere they've had many family bbq's together), they played together, they both know the league really well.

Preki is a good MLS coach.... even with inexperienced coaches learning on the job, who knew nothing about MLS, this team nearly made the playoffs. So we've seen the worst case scenario already ;)