PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Dec.31.

denime
12-31-2009, 09:09 AM
Good mornin all,

Last news edition in 2009!

Send Mo your questions!!
A new episode of This is Football is set to be filmed at The Football Factory,airing at Gol TV January 5 at 6:30p.m.

Send Mo your questions: askthemanager@torontofc.ca

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Let's have some fun today.

What TFC News impacted you the most in 2009 ??

Oldtimer
12-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Expectations In Toronto

With J Hutcherson -- Per yesterday's Daily, Toronto is also on the list for the quick turnaround. To call Toronto ambitious in the run-up to their fourth season is fair. They have the biggest day-to-day media presence of any team in Major League Soccer, a true national soccer stadium now that sharing with the Canadian Football League is off the table, and a strong fan base with growing expectations. They've also got yet another head coach.
This time it's Preki, who recently departed Chivas USA. Of all the disappointments over the course of the '09 season, Chivas USA was the biggest. Before you offer up alternatives for that title, consider that they were the team that went ten straight games across multiple competitions without a win.
http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/ussoccerplayers/2009/12/expectations-in-toronto.html

Top 5 Lowlights of American Soccer in 2009

The Continued Presence of Plastic Pitches:
Nothing irks me more than watching a professional sport that is being played on a plastic pitch or field. Astroturf, Field Turf, or whatever other product that is out there for teams to waste money on are utter crap, in my opinion. Not only do they look bad on television, but when it comes to football, such surfaces often exert an unnatural force on the ball. While progress is being made in Toronto and New York/New Jersey as the MLS teams there move away from plastic pitches to natural grass, the introduction of Seattle Sounders FC at the turf covered Qwest Field and the news that Portland’s stadium will sport the green plastic carpet unfortunately means that MLS will not be rid of turf anytime soon. If the Green Bay Packers can play on a natural grass field, there is no reason to have the plastic carpets in MLS.

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/top-5-lowlights-of-american-soccer-in-2009/7711

The coming of DeRo was for me the number 1 story last year.

TFC_Junky
12-31-2009, 09:13 AM
What impacted me most in 2009: Had to be either the JDG signning or (ya I know) the RM game. I took my brother-in-law to watch Kaka and even I wasn't disappointed.

denime
12-31-2009, 09:14 AM
For me Dichio"retirement" charade was the news that stood up more than any other in 2009.

TFC_Junky
12-31-2009, 09:15 AM
^^ ya that was pretty big!

CoachGT
12-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Biggest impact of 2009? I'll do a top 5.

1. DeRo coming home (maybe 2008, but it really didn't hit until the start of the season.
2. GRASS! GRASS! GRASS! GRASS! GRASS!
3. Dichio and the way the whole thing played out.
4 The signing of JDG, even though it seemed like it took forever to play out.
5. The drama surrounding the V-Cup and the win in Montreal.

rocker
12-31-2009, 10:09 AM
What TFC News impacted you the most in 2009 ??

IMPACTED??? is that a hint of your favourite news story?

how about beating the LIMPACT for the title? hehe

rocker
12-31-2009, 10:18 AM
p.s. sunshine girl is fantastic

jabbronies
12-31-2009, 11:03 AM
1. Dero Signing
2. Carver Departure
3. CCC Win
4. Dichio Departure
5. Not making the playoffs

Carts
12-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Send Mo your questions!!
A new episode of This is Football is set to be filmed at The Football Factory,airing at Gol TV January 5 at 6:30p.m.

Anyone know when the show is being taped...?

I'd head down and watch live (if they allow people to come in and watch)...

Carts...

Roogsy
12-31-2009, 11:22 AM
It was a year full of news.

DeRo signing.
Carver leaving.
The Miracle in Montreal.
The Danny Drama.
The collapse in NY.
Cummins leaving and Preki coming in
And Grass!

Roogsy
12-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh my gawd...how soon I forget.

The Argos drama.

DOMIN8R
12-31-2009, 01:05 PM
MLS Player of the Decade: Dwayne De Rosario (http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/mls-player-of-the-decade-dwayne-de-rosario/7715)

What should have been a difficult choice, was really a simple one. No player made anywhere near the impact on Major League Soccer in the 2000-2009 period as did Dwayne DeRosario. The Canadian international was without question the dominant figure this decade in the league.

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/mls-player-of-the-decade-dwayne-de-rosario/7715

Roogsy
12-31-2009, 01:54 PM
YEAH BABY!

:hurray:

Super
12-31-2009, 01:59 PM
DeRo signing and getting grass.

Roogsy
12-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Send Mo your questions!!

Send Mo your questions: askthemanager@torontofc.ca

Pffft....yeah right...like they won't sort the answers and lob him softballs and leave the hard questions in the wastebasket. Mo has had it easy in this town...he's been able to avoid having to answer the really tough questions and having people hold him accountable. I won't watch this farce.

Redcoe15
12-31-2009, 04:34 PM
For me, 2009 goes like this:

:) TFC, The Good:

-The Miracle in Montreal Going into this match, Toronto needed to win by four goals over Montreal in order to claim the Voyageurs Cup. With Dwayne De Rosario leading the charge, Toronto whipped the Impact 6-1 for its first ever hardware, causing delerious RPB supporters to crash its own web site due to massive celebrating! :D

-Growing Homegrown Content De Rosario coming home to play was an important step in the growth of Toronto FC. As well as Serioux, Attakora, O'Brien White, Gerba (if he can slim down), and JDG all wearing the badge. TFC is making its mark as a Canadian identity to help with the growth of soccer in this country. The maple leaf will fly high if all play to their talent.

-Grass, Dude! Toronto city council voting to tear up that plastic shit teams played on and install real grass for 2010 will benefit the team, the game, and the bottom line in years to come. FINALLY!

:mad: TFC, The Bad:

-The Handling of Dichio's Departure The bizzare and badly handled way the club pushed out living legend Danny Dichio, and the reasons behind it, left a lot of supporters thinking they were served a shit taco by Mo Johnston. Dichio was the heart and soul of TFC from the begining. He deserved to go out on his own terms.

-No Scoring from the Strikers Chad Barrett and Pablo Vitti were paid big bucks by the club to score goals. With glorious opprotunities set up for them, they combined to score a massive seven goals! :facepalm: In 2010, Vitti is gone, and Barrett is under a big microscope to prove he's worthy of his contract.

-The 75th Minute Meltdown TFC dominated the league in surrendering the most goals after 75 minutes of play, a sure sign of a team's lack of poise and direction. The worst of these were the ones conceeded inside the dying minutes of play that cost valuable points for the team. Like the goal surrendered against San Jose at home that pretty much sealed the team's fate.

:taz: TFC, The Ugly:

-No Playoffs, AGAIN! The combination of the last two points aided in a talented club missing the MLS playoffs for the third time in their existance, on the last day of the season (DeRo's first post season denial). Worse was that the club that managed to worm its way past Toronto for the last spot, Real Salt Lake, went on to capture the MLS Cup. :prrr:

-Crapped On in Columbus Thanks to the brainfarting of one overexuberant unaffiliated fan, combined with a Crew Stadium security force that was long on self important overzealotry and short on their own penises, and someone with a videocam with a quick upload to YouTube, Toronto FC fans were all portrayed as drunken lowlife hooligans up to no good by the soccer hating, agenda driven local media. (the upside, no more trips to Columbus)

-The Argos Weasel Play Owners David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski's latest attempts to move their Toronto Argonauts to BMO Field, despite everything there not being suitable for CFL standards from the playing surface to the locker rooms, only serve to remind Toronto FC fans that the club does not have total control of their home turf. The Argos efforts failed, but will it be their last try?

Here's hoping for a great 2010!