PDA

View Full Version : TFC's Biggest Newsbreakers for 2009?

FluSH
12-31-2009, 08:08 AM
Alright, so at this time of year we are bombarded by Top 10 lists... Well I think we need at least one more to see who was TFC's biggest newsbreaker in 2009.

Whether it was insider info, juicy contrevarsy, or in some cases downright false gossip... without these men... we wouldn't have much to talk about.

So without further ado... who made the biggest newswaves for 2009?

P.S. Poll is closing in 1 day...

and May you all have a Happy, Prosperous, and TFC newsworthy New Years!

-FluSH

koryo
12-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Considering most of the journos fished for stories from both here and U-Sector, there's really only one answer isn't there?

ua-kozak_TFC
12-31-2009, 09:01 AM
denime??? i think you forgot to include him in the poll...:D

FluSH
12-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Considering most of the journos fished for stories from both here and U-Sector, there's really only one answer isn't there?

hmmm... well there were more than a few headlines that rocked everyone... the JDG one for example... There were some people with insider connections that swore up and down that he would never sign here. Heck I even received very close info stating that he was going elsewhere...

Then there was Gareth Wheeler with at least two newsbreakers... and that DeRosario interview and the DP money promise...etc etc

FluSH
12-31-2009, 09:07 AM
denime??? i think you forgot to include him in the poll...:D

Haha.. You are right... he gets an honourable mention!

TFC_Junky
12-31-2009, 09:10 AM
I had to vote for the RPB, I constantly get my info here first then try and get the "official" version from the others mentioned in the poll! Good job RPB!

Parkdale
12-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Kristian Jack - Really pushed for the inside dirt, and did real reporting, not just score reports.

John Molinaro - Also pushed for the inside scoop, but was a bit more cautious.

Gareth Wheeler - Kept his finger on the pulse, and said what a lot of us were feeling, but to the bigger audience. he's a fight picker, but so are many of us.

Ben Knight - good articles, but like John M, seems a bit hesitant to dish. Probably best for saving face (and a rep). more editorial opinions and musings than just covering the numbers.

Daniel Girard - this guy was a workhorse!! He never went for 'investigative reports', but his overall content was unmatched.

He whose name we despise - It's time for the Golden Globes.. that's more his beat these days.

Insiders on RPB or Usector boards - very useful info (hats of to section 117), but normally they just confirm or deny what everyone is talking about.

Denime -- by far the hardest working man in showbusiness. The RPB News page is THE go-to spot on the net for TFC news. Full stop. Fact. End of. /Thread

bgnewf
12-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Duane Rollins at the 24th minute and Kristian Jack break the most stories.

massive_magpie
12-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Kristian Jack - Really pushed for the inside dirt, and did real reporting, not just score reports.

Can't help but agree with both of these.

FluSH
12-31-2009, 09:54 AM

I knew I missed someone... Duane Rollins

Parkdale
12-31-2009, 09:55 AM

yeah, Duane was good, but he was breaking them in a Blog, not in print.
I know the internet is changing everything... etc etc etc, but breaking a story
in a newpaper, for the people who are offline reading the sports section --
it's still a bigger deal. Not to take away from the good work Duane did though.

FluSH
12-31-2009, 10:02 AM
^^
Well you could argue that RPB and Usector insiders break the news online too!

Anyhow, all of the above are a worthy mention.

FluSH
12-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Insiders on RPB or Usector boards - very useful info (hats of to section 117), but normally they just confirm or deny what everyone is talking about.

Also honourable mentions to Jeffro, and that Goldielocks kid some time ago... also Big Bruva could have done better :D

TFC_Junky
12-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Daniel Girard - this guy was a workhorse!! He never went for 'investigative reports', but his overall content was unmatched.

I have to agree, I met Dan at the Season opener in KC. Really down to earth and just reported the facts. No real speculation on what was potentially happening, just the facts. Good guy too!

Parkdale
12-31-2009, 10:16 AM
I have to agree, I met Dan at the Season opener in KC. Really down to earth and just reported the facts. No real speculation on what was potentially happening, just the facts. Good guy too!

yeah, the guy knows how to write spots, and his game coverage is about as good as it gets. Plus it seems like he really does his research, as there's an "Oh really? I didn't know that" moment in almost all of his reports.

and when a TFC nerd like me says "oh really?" it means that he's done his homework.

Roogsy
12-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Denime -- by far the hardest working man in showbusiness. The RPB News page is THE go-to spot on the net for TFC news. Full stop. Fact. End of. /Thread

Trudat!

Roogsy
12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Kristian Jack, John Molinaro and Duane Rollins have shown to provide accurate newsbreaking stories.

Our insiders have it wrong from time to time, but they have shown to be a real tool to knowing the inner workings of the team.

ecospice
12-31-2009, 12:16 PM
John Molinaro - Also pushed for the inside scoop, but was a bit more cautious./Thread

J-Mo is the best soccer journalist in Canada - including mainstream press (i.e. CBC) and non-traditional media (or is it now termed emerging media?). Check out his world cup site on CBCSports.ca

werewolf
12-31-2009, 12:44 PM
I find random posters who nobody really knows to have some of the best info.

Where is the option for Jason DeVos? :lol:

FluSH
12-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Kristian Jack, John Molinaro and Duane Rollins have shown to provide accurate newsbreaking stories.

Our insiders have it wrong from time to time, but they have shown to be a real tool to knowing the inner workings of the team.

I'm actually shocked the insiders are winning the polls!

Roogsy
12-31-2009, 01:52 PM
I think it's swayed by the fact that after some of the biggest news of the year were found out/revealed/published, usually the insiders come out and add substantial information after the fact.

But an objective look back at the year and it's biggest stories shows that insiders rarely actually break the inside news and usually only provide plenty of colour after the fact. The people who actually broke the big news (ie. Danny) were people like J-Mol.

I think the poll reflects people's perception as opposed to actually remembering the facts.

Rudi
12-31-2009, 03:51 PM
It was an insider who broke the JDG story on both the boards simultaneously.

That was huge.

nick.mastro
01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
It was an insider who broke the JDG story on both the boards simultaneously.

That was huge.

I believe i was the first one to write it on Usector, and people thought i was crazy lmao :P

zeelaw
01-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Duane Rollins and KJ def.

Section 117
01-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I think it's swayed by the fact that after some of the biggest news of the year were found out/revealed/published, usually the insiders come out and add substantial information after the fact.

But an objective look back at the year and it's biggest stories shows that insiders rarely actually break the inside news and usually only provide plenty of colour after the fact. The people who actually broke the big news (ie. Danny) were people like J-Mol.

I think the poll reflects people's perception as opposed to actually remembering the facts.

Roogsy

I disagre with you I think somtimes it is the other way around we break the news and then the mainstream media pick up the torch and run with it. Especially in the case of the Danny situation.

Just my 2 cents

Roogsy
01-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Roogsy

I disagre with you I think somtimes it is the other way around we break the news and then the mainstream media pick up the torch and run with it. Especially in the case of the Danny situation.

Just my 2 cents

The word "rarely" can be interchangeable with "sometimes".

The thread asks who are the ones that made the most news during 2009. Insiders like you only post when it's safe to do so and you don't hurt the relationships you have. News guys like KJ and J-Mol get the story out there on a more consistent basis because 1) they don't have a single source and 2) they aren't concerned as much with relationships as they are with breaking stories.

So while insiders sometimes did break first, it was usually the news guys that made the most waves by a) breaking it to a wider audience and b) breaking news on a more consistent basis.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-05-2010, 01:55 AM
I was disappointed with John Molinaro's roll in the Dichio affair, as having done research into the journalistic practises, his reporting was clearly outside the realms of normal journalistic integrity (perhaps that doesn't apply to blogs).

I voted for "Insiders", although I think Kristian Jack does pretty boss job.

Rudi
01-05-2010, 02:15 AM
I believe i was the first one to write it on Usector, and people thought i was crazy lmao :P
Yeah man, it was you who I was referring to.

nick.mastro
01-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah man, it was you who I was referring to.

:) lol

FluSH
01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
The insiders did have an unfair advantage.... they are a team versus a single individual!

Kristian Jack wins the TFC Newsbreaker Title for 2009 in my view.