PDA

View Full Version : USSF not sanctioning USL or NASL for 2010

werewolf
12-30-2009, 01:16 PM
http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Articles/2009/12/US-Soccer-BOD-Votes-to-Not-Sanction-Division-II-League.aspx

CHICAGO (Dec. 30, 2009) – The U.S. Soccer Board of Directors voted unanimously on Tuesday to not sanction either the USL or the NASL to operate a Division II professional league in 2010.

The decision was made on the recommendation of the Professional League Task Force, which determined that neither organization on its own was able to provide a viable and sustainable operation during the upcoming season. Both organizations were unable to meet U.S. Soccer’s requirement of a minimum of eight viable teams for 2010.

Despite the ruling, the U.S. Soccer Board of Directors has given both organizations seven days to try to work out an interim solution for the 2010 season.

“After carefully reviewing the findings from the Task Force it was clear there are still too many uncertainties for both organizations, which would be extremely difficult to resolve in a timely fashion that would allow them to prepare for the 2010 season,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “In the best interest of soccer in the United States, we decided to not sanction either league at this point. However, we did encourage both leagues to come together in the next week and attempt to develop another plan which would allow a single league to be approved on a provisional basis. We are committed to finding ways to improve the long-term viability of all leagues and teams and continue the growth of soccer in the United States.”

Shway
12-30-2009, 01:24 PM
i kneww this was going to happenn

Cashcleaner
12-30-2009, 01:38 PM
^I didn't, but it does make sense now that I think about it. Without USSF recognition, what is going to happen with all these former USL-1 teams?

Dirk Diggler
12-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Good ... this entire thing with the USL and NASL was getting a bit amateur hour.

Redpunkfiddle
12-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Campeone! Campeone!

Really though, what a pickle for our CCL entry. I can't stomach a bye.

If we don't have a competitive tournement that we actually win, I can see our slot going to another country.

werewolf
12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Campeone! Campeone!

Really though, what a pickle for our CCL entry. I can't stomach a bye.

If we don't have a competitive tournement that we actually win, I can see our slot going to another country.

don't worry, we can put our faith in the CSA to figure it out. :)

deltox
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
well if it happens....this we either get the CCL slot.....(as if we won the canada cup) or we have no access to the CCL at all.

i hope that it all gets sorted out soon

Yohan
12-30-2009, 01:55 PM
i think the message from USSF to USL and NASL is to stop being brats and talk it out and come out with a solution

clearly a message intended to get both sides back on negotiating table

Billy the kid
12-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Isn't the USL recognized by FIFA. Does it matter the US federation doesn't recognize it? The teams in the USL can still be part of FIFA or CONCACAF events, no?

Roogsy
12-30-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't think it works that way. I think the national association has to sanction the league, and FIFA in turn sanctions the national association.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Isn't the USL recognized by FIFA. Does it matter the US federation doesn't recognize it? The teams in the USL can still be part of FIFA or CONCACAF events, no?

USL was sanctioned by the USSF, but with the majority of teams from the first division bailing for the NASL, that league wasn't going to remained sanctioned. USL-1 has nowhere near the eight teams necessary to get the green light from the USSF.

Without sanctioning from the national federation in the United States, I don't think any of the teams in either USL-1 or the NASL will be eligible for CONCACAF or FIFA events - at least any of the American teams, anyway. FWIW, I have no idea how Vancouver and Montreal would fit in if the CSA sanctioned the NASL.

Detroit_TFC
12-30-2009, 07:29 PM
USSF has given the parties seven days to come up with a plan. Hard to see this shotgun marriage actually taking place. I think they will spend the week getting their lawsuits ready.

Ultimately the TOA will need to settle with USL, and write them a big check to, for all practical purposes, buy USL's Div II status from Nu-rock. I can't see how the TOA can prevail any other way.

ag futbol
12-30-2009, 08:49 PM
USSF looks a little gun shy here with the threat of lawsuits.

Soccer needs the TOA as they are really the capital that keeps the league moving. Nurock on the other hand is just a middle man trying to make a buck.

Let's all hope for some kind of a MLS2 arrangement because the roster depth in MLS is bordering on amateur.

James17930
12-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Interesting, interesting.

Keystone FC
12-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I get the feeling the USSF just didn't want to get involved in a Dr. Phil episode and opted to... well... opt out of the situation and leave it to the leagues to work it out.
The real telling point of the decision by the USSF is the fact of neither side having 8 clubs. There are still 3 clubs undecided (Portland, PR, and Austin) and if these 3 decide, 'screw it...we're going with the NASL' then that should put them at least 8 clubs and the sanctioning of the USSF.
I also think that this 'non-ruling' forces the hand of NASL to go back to the USL on their hands and knees begging for forgiveness and asking them to take them back if those 3 clubs decide to stay with the USL.
If this happens I think we could see something like extra entrance fee added to the 'rouge' clubs and point deduction (say -10 points) for the mess they made.
The next question to ask is what is the fianl date that this needs to be totally worked out or there will not be a sactioned league at all, and what happens if this comes to pass?

Keystone FC
12-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Just a thought.

The USSF has basically given the two sides a week to come up with something passing as a league that they can sanction.
Can the CSA still sanction the either league?

deltox
12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
^ only for games played in Canada.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Going over the list of teams, I don't know where the figure of less than eight teams in the NASL comes from. The following teams are ready to play in the NASL in 2010:

Montreal Impact
Vancouver Whitecaps
Carolina Railhawks
Tampa Bay Rowdies
Crystal Palace Baltimore
Rochester Rhinos
Minnesota Thunder
Miami FC
Atlanta Silverbacks
AC St. Louis

rocker
12-31-2009, 04:59 PM
somebody on Big Soccer looked into the USSF's rules concerning sanctioning... you need 8 legit teams according to some rules, such as having signed more than 12 players signed and some other crap.

so Tampa, Atlanta, St.Louis don't qualify since they don't have any players.

that's 7 legit teams left over.