PDA

View Full Version : Adu loan a bust... back to MLS?

Stryker
12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
So Adu's loan has ended and he's saying there's a deal avalible but questions if it's the right one.
Why do I get the feeling he'll be playing for ethier LA or Sounders soon.
:/

http://www.mls-rumors.net/5338/2009/12/incoming-freddy-adu-back-to-benfica-time-for-return-to-mls/

[NBF]
12-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Stryker: Are you hoping he comes to TFC?? I hope not, he's too much of a pussy. I don't know if you caught the game between Hull and Manchester United on Dec.27. Joze Altidore started the game and by the 60th minute, he was having menstrual cramps. Considering that he has been with Hull since the start of the season, he's the best example of American players having only enough technique to crack the major european leagues, but barely the physical traits needed to succeed in such a physically demanding football world. Think of players like Donovan, Adu, Johnson, Beasley, and Wynne. Very good technique and next to no physical presence.

Stryker
12-29-2009, 07:35 PM
No I'm not big on the idea of him being here. Him and Wynne overlapping runs could be a nice display though.

My point was that if he does come back to MLS the league will likely bend a rule to see him onto ethier the Sounders or the Galaxy. These are the leagues "showcase" teams. Garber is dying to get them onto the world stage to draw more attention to the league and he'll do whatever he can to give them a squad to win the Concacaf final or go into the later rounds of the Club World Cup.

Yohan
12-29-2009, 08:01 PM
;838333'] Think of players like Donovan, Adu, Johnson, Beasley, and Wynne. Very good technique and next to no physical presence.

Wynne very good technique? LOL!

Detroit_TFC
12-29-2009, 08:07 PM
According to Ives, RSL gave up Adu's MLS rights when they received his transfer fee. Philadelphia is first up on the international transfer list.

I hadn't heard about the transfer fee=surrender of MLS rights thing before.

Adu could probably get signed in Norway but his prospects of getting into a top league are just about extinguished. If he came back to MLS he would probably have a better chance of getting back on the USMNT depth chart.

Juanito
12-29-2009, 08:15 PM
^^

MLS will do whatever it takes to get him back to the US. Toronto FC has no chance as we are the bastard Canadians no one wants. Sigh .... tis be true friends.

sweetlemon69
12-29-2009, 09:01 PM
;838333']Stryker: Are you hoping he comes to TFC?? I hope not, he's too much of a pussy. I don't know if you caught the game between Hull and Manchester United on Dec.27. Joze Altidore started the game and by the 60th minute, he was having menstrual cramps. Considering that he has been with Hull since the start of the season, he's the best example of American players having only enough technique to crack the major european leagues, but barely the physical traits needed to succeed in such a physically demanding football world. Think of players like Donovan, Adu, Johnson, Beasley, and Wynne. Very good technique and next to no physical presence.

There's better leagues than the premiership that don't require every player to be an American football star.

ensco
12-29-2009, 09:22 PM
I say he winds up in San Jose. They need to make a splash in that market, but ownership there have proven to be cheapskates.

ExiledRed
12-29-2009, 09:39 PM
There's better leagues than the premiership that don't require every player to be an American football star.

Can you please clarify this statement? I can't quite make sense of it.

Apologies.

ExiledRed
12-29-2009, 09:41 PM
I say he winds up in San Jose. They need to make a splash in that market, but ownership there have proven to be cheapskates.

San Jose turned out to be a bit of a "wtf?" expansion didn't it?

I mean they're crap, have no real stadium, and hardly any fans.

At least we're just crap.

Yohan
12-29-2009, 09:43 PM
San Jose turned out to be a bit of a "wtf?" expansion didn't it?

I mean they're crap, have no real stadium, and hardly any fans.

stadium is in planning stage... just a lot of disgruntled fans who got pissed when the original Quakes moved to Houston... enough support in Bay Area to make it a viable market

Beach_Red
12-29-2009, 09:46 PM

No, we're not. Crap teams can have character and be fun sometimes. Right now we're worse - we're mediocre, middle of the table, dangerously close to "good enough," for this ownership.

prizby
12-29-2009, 09:51 PM
I say he winds up with FC Porto (they just bought him for 1M euros)

ExiledRed
12-29-2009, 10:03 PM
dangerously close to "good enough," for this ownership.

Which I translate as 'crap'

Stryker
12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
I say he winds up with FC Porto (they just bought him for 1M euros)

Yes indeed. That deal played out fairly quickly.
Guess we won't have to worry about him.

GuelphStorm2007
12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
;838333']Stryker: Are you hoping he comes to TFC?? I hope not, he's too much of a pussy. I don't know if you caught the game between Hull and Manchester United on Dec.27. Joze Altidore started the game and by the 60th minute, he was having menstrual cramps. Considering that he has been with Hull since the start of the season, he's the best example of American players having only enough technique to crack the major european leagues, but barely the physical traits needed to succeed in such a physically demanding football world. Think of players like Donovan, Adu, Johnson, Beasley, and Wynne. Very good technique and next to no physical presence.

I personaly think that Altidore should have stayed in MLS a couple of more seasons, Every team he has gone Especially Villireal and Hull he has not made hardly any impact, Maybe I am wrong, that is my opinion.

MUFC_Niagara
12-29-2009, 10:29 PM

I agree with ER, what exactly does this mean? Sorry mate, can't quite understand it.

GuelphStorm2007
12-29-2009, 10:31 PM
I agree with ER, what exactly does this mean? Sorry mate, can't quite understand it.

I also agree I do not get that remark.

torontocelt
12-29-2009, 11:06 PM

The other guy was saying that Americans in the English premiership do not have the level of fitness nor the presence to be successful, this guy was saying that he reckons there are better leagues than the premiership anyway where footballers can play despite their size or lack of...

ag futbol
12-29-2009, 11:40 PM

What? If anything most of the guys you listed are mostly athletes and very little soccer players. Most USMNT fans are crying right now for players with more technical ability.

With Donovan and Adu being the exception, who are both more on the pussy side. Freddy was also screwed by having one of those "If you play me it drains your bank account" deals.

Benficachop20
12-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Freddy was also screwed by having one of those "If you play me it drains your bank account" deals.

bah he didn't play because he was garbage. He didn't impress about wat 4-5 managers with Benfica, didn't impress the Monaco manager, and now he is not even getting call ups with Belenenses. He's been very poor in his time in Portugal, he scores a couple of goals in a crappy carlseberg cup that no one gives a crap about and people think he's playing good. Didn't like him when he came to Benfica and i hate even more now.

Damien
12-30-2009, 01:36 AM
I'd like to see how Adu does now in the newer MLS against more quality teams.

If he came back and was kinda shit, i'd see solace in that the MLS has gotten better.

...or maybe Adu just sucks.

jloome
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
It's Europe. Porto might feel the race card was involved, they might've told Adu to be patient but be prepared for a couple more years of loans, they might've decided even decided he's too slick for his present surroundings.

Or, maybe his work rate is just shit and they figure they can fix it.

billyfly
12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
He sucked at Benfica.

Whoop
12-30-2009, 12:51 PM
He was just okay at Benfica. I wouldn't say he sucked.

Camacho liked him. Once he was gone, he was done.

His problem has been his hype. He's okay, not good or great.

billyfly
12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
He won't do much more at Porto.

I guess it depends on expectation of what he can do and what is his ceiling.

Whoop
12-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Exactly billy.

Actually Adu's strike rate per minutes played at Benfica merited more of a chance but in the end, I guess Quique was right.

A Scandinavian league might be a better option for Adu or the lower Eredivisie team.

Oldtimer
12-30-2009, 09:13 PM
What a sad ending for the "next Pele," as DC once touted him.

Redcoe15
12-30-2009, 11:25 PM
What a sad ending for the "next Pele," as DC once touted him.
Putting him in the DC lineup at that young an age was a disaster, IMO. He should have been playing against others his own age. They totally wrecked his potential.

ag futbol
12-30-2009, 11:40 PM
^ yep.

The ironic part about this is: He comes to MLS at a time where it hurt his development. Now, at a time when playing in MLS would probably help his cause he'll end up just getting worse on just another bench in europe.

I think MLS is a good place for guys to develop but it's not good for the young guys unless you're a supreme athlete, because you're going to get bitched. I remember all the "highlights" of Freddy Adu in MLS, they'd just push the kid all over the field.

king dave
12-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Most interesting thread this holiday season.
Keep it up boys.
Edu will be back, 'cause he's slack!
KD.

prizby
12-31-2009, 09:41 AM
He won't do much more at Porto.

I guess it depends on expectation of what he can do and what is his ceiling.

don't tell their mnager that...their manager believes he'll be starting within a few weeks

MTomas
12-31-2009, 02:42 PM
"Freddy Adu to join Eddie Johnson at Aris FC? Apparently Hector Cuper likes Americans" - Ives

Jitter
01-03-2010, 10:58 AM
SBI says Adu's choice is between Hull City and Aris:
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/01/adu-reveals-decision-is-between-hull-and-aris.html

ag futbol
01-03-2010, 01:40 PM
^ This kid has been completely wrecked by the media, bad signing decisions, and now his own stupidity.

Hull is quite possibly the worst idea i have ever heard. There is absolutely no way the kid ever gets to play or can be successful in England with the physical style of play. What he needs to do is stuff his ego in a box, start to realize he is a giant joke, and find a smaller club that will actually help to train and develop him.

Aris sounds like a decent idea, something like eredivisie, Belgium, Porto (who are great at recycling trash into gold) or MLS is good. But at this point i doubt he ever amounts to anything because he seemingly thinks he's the shit, but doesn't put in the work to back it up.