PDA

View Full Version : Designated Player Idea

prizby
12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I like the two designated players idea (as long as it is 1 international and maybe one concacaf/domestic DP)...and you can trade for a 3rd DP...but it has to be domestic.

However, I think the MLS should try an A-League model...instead of having two designated players, you have one DP (ie. Becks/JDG/Schelotto) and then one junior DP (someone who is maybe u-23 or even as high as u-25)

Is it not the goal of the MLS to keep its young talent (ie. Stuart Holden) in the MLS...having a JR. DP would allow teams to do this!

I think this would be worth a shot?

CoachGT
12-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Good idea, but as it appears in the Holden situation, I'm not sure that the whole thing is driven by money alone. Most players in North America dream of playing in the best leagues in the world, and they happen to be in Europe. Some can be persuaded by money alone, but many are looking for the next level of challenge.

The hockey comparison is the K-League. Some players go there for the money, but many prefer to go to the NHL because it is the place to be if you want to be seen as playing at the highest level.

jloome
12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Good idea, but as it appears in the Holden situation, I'm not sure that the whole thing is driven by money alone. Most players in North America dream of playing in the best leagues in the world, and they happen to be in Europe. Some can be persuaded by money alone, but many are looking for the next level of challenge.

The hockey comparison is the K-League. Some players go there for the money, but many prefer to go to the NHL because it is the place to be if you want to be seen as playing at the highest level.

The Holden situation? The smallest of the clubs in Europe after him, Aberdeen, is offering more than twice what MLS does. If Blackburn signs him, his raise will be worth about 1,400% his current wage.

It's not driven by money alone, but it sure is motivation.

MartinUtd
12-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Good idea, but it will never work as Landon Donovan is over 25.

Shway
12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Money can buy you everything, however
money isnt the answer to any professional soccer players dream.

The dream is to represent your country in the world cup. Thats the biggest motivation, and thats stuarts major dillema. Its the only reason he hasnt already signed overseas yet, because he wants to feature in 2010, but he knows it could be hindered if he makes the jump overseas

TFCRegina
12-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Look, everybody says it isn't about money but the reason why Europe is so much more attractive in quality is because they pay more for players and get the better players accordingly. If we paid more at home, higher quality players would chose to stay at home, raising the overall level of play.

The thing we need now is some quality coaches. USL had better coaching than MLS (credential wise anyway, they had higher grade coaches than MLS) but lacked a lot of the quality in players. I wasn't surprised when we lost to Puerto, disappointed, yes, but not surprised. If we had coaching which employed better tactical play, MLS would be a much better league development wise and for the viewing of the spectator.

CoachGT
12-29-2009, 03:14 PM
The Holden situation? The smallest of the clubs in Europe after him, Aberdeen, is offering more than twice what MLS does. If Blackburn signs him, his raise will be worth about 1,400% his current wage.

It's not driven by money alone, but it sure is motivation.

Agreed - but some players are willing to go over for equal money (even though they'd be riding pine). Even smaller clubs seem to have better financial resources than here. But the cost of living there is also higher, if it isn't picked up by the team (which I know may be, depending upon the club).

And I thought part of Garber's involvement was to help "equalize" the pay issues.

prizby
12-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Agreed - but some players are willing to go over for equal money (even though they'd be riding pine). Even smaller clubs seem to have better financial resources than here. But the cost of living there is also higher, if it isn't picked up by the team (which I know may be, depending upon the club).

And I thought part of Garber's involvement was to help "equalize" the pay issues.

i believed they are taxed differently (tax free...or is that just basketball players) in Europe

James17930
12-29-2009, 10:24 PM
A second DP wouldn't hurt, IMO, but I think a more constructive route would be to make the DP(s) not count against the cap. That way you could have a DP but still have $400k to spend on one or two decent players who otherwise might leave for Denmark or Belgium.

ExiledRed
12-29-2009, 11:08 PM
unless the cap hit is removed for at least one DP, its a bad idea.