Pages : [1] 2

Mark in Ottawa
12-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Jan. 14
Philadelphia Convention Center
2 p.m. ET, ESPN2, ESPN360.com

Mo has always done well in the past.
Let's see what this one brings.

A proposal for an additional DP slot will probably not get settled until too late for an impact on this player draft...
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=718334&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

seankeay
12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Quick Link: www.mlsdraft.net :)

TFC_Junky
12-29-2009, 01:24 PM
the draft's a go but the CBA isn't resolved... interesting...

Oldtimer
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM
the draft's a go but the CBA isn't resolved... interesting...

Well... they can't strike until Feb 1st. :D

TFC_Junky
12-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Well... they can't strike until Feb 1st. :D

Ha ha ha, yeah, I guess you're right! "Welcome to MLS, you're now on strike!" Priceless...

werewolf
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Ives' mockdraft from Christmas. http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/12/sbi-2010-mls-mock-draft-version-10.html

Full Generation Adidas list should be in early January.

SBI 2010 MLS Mock Draft

FIRST ROUND

1. Philadelphia Union- TEAL BUNBURY, F, Akron

Ike Opara is regarded by many as the top prospect, but with Philly already boasting Danny Califf and Shavar Thomas (and the club linked to a Colombian defender), the Union will go with Bunbury, the top forward in the draft. Philadelphia could also deal the pick to the teams that covet Opara.

2. New York Red Bulls- IKE OPARA, D, Wake Forest

The Red Bulls' defense was awful at times in 2009 and doesn't boast a single shutdown defender. Enter Opara, who some regarded as good enough to be a Top Three pick in 2009. He had shaky moments in the Under-20 World Cup, but Opara is a top-notch defender who should be able to step in and start from year one.

3. San Jose Earthquakes- TONY TCHANI, M, Virginia

The Earthquakes under Frank Yallop are notorious for not being big fans of the draft, but if they keep this pick it will be a tough call between Tchani and Corben Bone. Having lost Darren Huckerby (and Shea Salinas), Bone might be the better pick, but Tchani is a central midfield beast who could probably step in and start for San Jose.

4. Kansas City Wizards- CORBEN BONE, M, Wake Forest

The Wizards' most pressing need is help at forward, and Danny Mwanga would be an ideal pick here if he signed with MLS, but with a talent like Bone still on the board Kansas City will pounce on the dangerous playmaker.

5. FC Dallas- TONI STAHL, M, UConn

The word around MLS circles is that FC Dallas is looking to package these two picks to move up (with Opara making sense as a target). Dallas has enough young players, and Generation adidas players at that, so look for Schellas Hyndman to take the most MLS-ready players available. Stahl is a solid defensive midfielder who is as mature as any player in the draft.

6. FC Dallas- ANDRE AKPAN, F, Harvard

Dallas-area fans will be happy to see the hometown product returning to Texas, but Akpan is more than just a homer pick. He's arguably the best forward in the pool, and could be this draft's Chris Pontius.

7. D.C. United- ANDREW WIEDEMAN, F, California

D.C. United would love to land Tchani or Stahl here, and could be tempted to grab UCLA freshman Amobi Okugo to help address the losses of Ben Olsen and Andrew Jacobson, but will instead look to strike gold at forward again with a West Coast forward just as it did with Pontius last year. Wiedeman is a polished forward who could step in and earn minutes on a D.C. team expected to lose Luciano Emilio.

8. Columbus Crew- AMOBI OKUGO, M, UCLA

The Crew boast enough talent to take a chance on some younger players and perhaps no teenager in the draft is drawing as many raves as Okugo, a central midfielder mature beyond his 18 years.

9. New England Revolution- ZACH LOYD, M, North Carolina

The Revs always do well in the draft because they take proven and mature players. Enter Loyd, a player who could step in and replace Jeff Larentowicz if he leaves this winter as expected. Loyd can play defensive midfielder, but also proved this year that he can slide into a central defense role if needed.

10. Chivas USA- LUIS GIL, M, U.S. Under-17

The Goats don't have any glaring needs, though Jonathan Bornstein's potential departure could hurth Chivas USA in the back. Martin Vasquez can take a chance on a long-term prospect in Gil, who has the ability to potentially be the best player this draft produces. Only 16, he's technically gifted and someone who could develop into a franchise player under the right guidance.

11. Seattle Sounders- DILLY DUKA, M, U.S. Under-20

The Sounders are another team that doesn't have any glaringly obvious needs, so Sigi Schmid can go with the best available player here. Duka is a player who could step in and provide some depth at multiple spots in midfield, though he might need a year on the pro level to mature before he makes a real impact.

12. Columbus Crew- BLAIR GAVIN, M, Akron

Gavin might not seem like the right pick for the Crew after having landed Okugo, but Columbus will be hard-pressed to pass on another talented young midfielder who could provide depth (or trade bait). Columbus could go for Jack McInerney here as well.

13. Chicago Fire- OFORI SARKODIE, D, Indiana

The Fire enter the draft with several needs as a load of departures have depleted a once-deep roster. With Gonzalo Segares leaving and Brandon Prideaux retired, fullback is a need position and Sarkodie is regarded by many as the best fullback in the draft.

14. New York Red Bulls- AUSTIN DA LUZ, M, Wake Forest

Red Bulls fans won't be happy to see Duka go to Seattle, but Da Luz offers a nice consolation prize. He showed in the College Cup semifinals that he can play left wing very well and his creativity there could lead to good minutes right away. Now, if New York can succeed in bringing back Dave Van Den Bergh, you could see the Red Bulls take a player like Jack McInerney here.

15. Los Angeles Galaxy- ZACH SCHILAWSKI, F, Wake Forest

The Galaxy's recent infusion of Brazilians is expected to provide a boost of depth, but it didn't address potential needs up top. Schilawski was a standout for Wake Forest and is the type of dynamic player who could benefit greatly from playing alongside Landon Donovan and David Beckham.

16. Real Salt Lake-JACK McINERNEY, F, U.S. Under-17

The champions head into 2010 with all its key players set to return so there's not much on the need list. Adding a 17-year-old prospect as highly-regarded as McInerney makes the most sense, assuming McInerney slides this far. RSL could use a goalkeeper, but taking one here would be a reach.

SECOND ROUND

17. Philadelphia Union- KYLE NAKAZAWA, M, UCLA

The Union look for more attacking talent and find one in Nakazawa, who was a standout on the 2005 U.S. Under-17 World Cup team coached by Philly assistant John Hackworth.

18. New York Red Bulls-KWAME WATSON-SIRIBOE, D, UConn

Red Bulls already landed Opara, but you can't have too many central defender prospects and Watson-Siriboe gives New York the two best in the draft.

19. San Jose Earthquakes- PHIL EDGINGTON, D, Louisville

San Jose's defense was a mess in 2009, and while Frank Yallop will be counting the days until Jason Hernandez returns, he will do well to grab Edgington, a 6-foot-3 centerback from New Zealand.

20. Kansas City Wizards-SEAN JOHNSON, GK, Central Florida

The Wizards grab the best talent on the board in Johnson, the most highly-rated goalkeeper in the pool and a potential replacement for Kevin Hartman.

21. FC Dallas-ROSS LaBAUEX, M, Virginia

Yes, Dallas already scored Stahl in the first round, but LaBauex is actually a prospect at multiple positions, including right back, where his impressive athleticism could help him be an impact player.

22. Colorado Rapids-MICHAEL STEPHENS, M, UCLA

The Rapids won't mind landing Stephens here. A year ago Stephens was nearly a Generation adidas signing and someone who was considered a first-round talent. This year, Stephens has been lost in the shadow of all the underclassmen and could wind up slipping this far.

23. Colorado Rapids-RYAN PETERMAN, D, San Diego

After losing starting left back Jordan Harvey in the expansion draft, the Rapids grab the best left back on the board in Peterman (though hometown boy Nick Cardenas might be hard to pass up).

24. Toronto FC-NICK CARDENAS, D, San Diego State

Anyone who watched TFC late in the year knows they need help in the back, and 6-foot-5 Nick Cardenas is the best defender on the board.

25. New England Revolution-JOVAN BUBONJA, GK, Illinois-Chicago

The Revs always find a way to make out on draft day, don't they? After losing back-up goalkeeper Brad Knighton in the expansion draft, New England enters this draft needing to find a new one. How do they? They only land a goalkeeper who some scouts thought might be a first-round pick if he left school a year ago.

26. Chivas USA-CARLOS VILLA, F, Hartford

The Goats have plenty of forwards on the roster, but should unload some of them this winter. Villa is a Gutamalan youth national team player who could be a second-round steal.

27. Seattle Sounders-COLLEN WARNER, M, Portland

If the Sounders are hoping to find some attacking talent late, it could do worse than Warner, a dynamic midfielder who has the speed to move up top as well. The question is whether he will play himself into a higher position on draft boards at the Combine.

28. San Jose Earthquakes-CHRIS SCHULER, D, Creighton

The Earthquakes continue their defensive makeover by grabbing Schuler, a tough defender who some consider better than Edgington.

29. Chicago Fire-DREW YATES, F/M, Maryland

While Sarkodie helps offset the fullback losses, Yates could become Chicago's answer for the loss of Chris Rolfe. Though not as fast as Rolfe, Yates is a quick and versatile attacker who can play up top as well as on the wing.

30. San Jose Earthquakes-RONNIE BOUEMBOUE, F, North Carolina State

The Earthquakes could use some speed up to as well as depth on the wing. Enter Bouemboue, a fast forward who might project better as an MLS winger.

31.New York Red Bulls-SETH SINOVIC, D, Creighton

The Red Bulls will look to help address their left back needs by grabbing Sinovic, a highly-regarded prospect who nearly came out in the 2009 draft.

32.Real Salt Lake- BRIAN PERK, GK, UCLA

The champs traded back-up goalkeeper Chris Seitz to Philly, but land a quality prospect in Perk, who is cut from the Nick Rimando mold as a quick and aggressive shot-stopper (who also happens to come from goalkeeper factory UCLA).

ArmenJBX
12-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Nick Cardenas huh...

I see us trading for a first round pick.

Mark in Ottawa
12-31-2009, 04:13 PM
6-foot-5 Nick Cardenas is the best defender on the board.
If this is true why would he last to pick # 24??

ag futbol
01-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Is it just me or did MLS retain a lot more of their targets this year than previously? Check out this list from third degree, almost everybody who would be considered a "major target" signed. Compare this to previous years, there had been some serious leakage to Europe from the NCAA.

http://www.3rddegree.net/ga-tracking/

Checking the "out" list, FCD has lost quite a few youth players, this is something that needs to be fixed by MLS. Supposedly Vancouver is getting to keep their academy (in full force) so i wouldn't be suprised if other MLS teams were far behind.

seankeay
01-03-2010, 01:04 PM
6-foot-5 Nick Cardenas is the best defender on the board.
If this is true why would he last to pick # 24??

On the board means, basically hes the best defender left.

Cardenas isnt a bad pick, hes strong and has had some US U20 experience but fell off the map in his sophomore and junior years, but this year he has been great and back to form.

The thing is, I cant see mo picking a centreback with this pick... he clearly does not trust the ncaa/draft with getting a centreback (as per passing on Omar Gonzalez)

on my site, im doing a 2nd round in the next few days and I have Toronto picking up a winger in the draft. Guys like Mike Pezza, Nelson Becerra, Kyle Nakazawa, and Austin Da Luz are the best wingers in the draft who could be around in the mid 2nd.

This draft is going to be extremly deep, 13 GA's and atleast 10-15 sr's who can help out mls teams right away.

Keegan
01-03-2010, 07:48 PM
On the board means, basically hes the best defender left.

Cardenas isnt a bad pick, hes strong and has had some US U20 experience but fell off the map in his sophomore and junior years, but this year he has been great and back to form.

The thing is, I cant see mo picking a centreback with this pick... he clearly does not trust the ncaa/draft with getting a centreback (as per passing on Omar Gonzalez)

on my site, im doing a 2nd round in the next few days and I have Toronto picking up a winger in the draft. Guys like Mike Pezza, Nelson Becerra, Kyle Nakazawa, and Austin Da Luz are the best wingers in the draft who could be around in the mid 2nd.

This draft is going to be extremly deep, 13 GA's and atleast 10-15 sr's who can help out mls teams right away.

No kidding... Julius James, Andrew Boyens... I wouldn't trust the draft either hahah

seankeay
01-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Quick Mock Draft Update: Mock Draft V3.0 (http://mlsdraft.net/?q=node/264)(Now with a TFC Pick and 2 rounds)

Also, if you want to keep up to date on the combine and the draft. I will have updates every day for the combine with news, rumors etc. Also a Live Chat on draft day.... and really if you just want to be cool, click on some ads! Trips to Miami and Philly arnt cheap ;)

canadian_bhoy
01-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Anyone think TFC will trade Robbo to NYRB plus something else for the 2nd pick?

BuSaPuNk
01-05-2010, 10:39 AM
There were rummblings the Robbo was going to NY at the end of last year. I wouldn't be surprised by MoJo. That is really his only chance of getting a first round pick and especially that high. Trade away an asset and mabey some allocation for a 1st 2nd or 3rd overall.

seankeay
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Carl Robinson will not get anything CLOSE to a 2nd overall pick, id be shocked if it landed us NYRB's 14th overall pick.

The only way I can see Toronto landing a top pick is if they give away Frei, Cronin or White... Wynne could be involved, but it wont be with NYRB.

CoachGT
01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure that additional drafting will help Toronto much this year. There is quite a bit of youth already; some of the older players are in transition roles (meaning they will see less action in the upcoming year) and presumably there will be a couple of more changes, mostly to the guys at the higher end of the age spectrum.

I'd expect Ibbe to come back to the 1st team now that the conditional draft pick is now history. What is most needed is someone in the back that has some experience - it isn't time to try out someone with no professional experience in that position.

BuSaPuNk
01-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure that additional drafting will help Toronto much this year. There is quite a bit of youth already; some of the older players are in transition roles (meaning they will see less action in the upcoming year) and presumably there will be a couple of more changes, mostly to the guys at the higher end of the age spectrum.

I'd expect Ibbe to come back to the 1st team now that the conditional draft pick is now history. What is most needed is someone in the back that has some experience - it isn't time to try out someone with no professional experience in that position.

Complelety agree with you Coach. They have to pick up a good defender and striker all from free agency. Hopefully someone in the leauge already if not the best option outside of NA.

seankeay
01-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Just a little bit of an update, MLSDraft.net just caught up with the OTHER canadian invited to the combine, Julien Edwards.

The defender could be a late pick for TFC and has just been called up to the Canadian U23 squad.

http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/270

You've received a lot of attention lately with Drake's NCAA tournament run, the MLS Combine invite and also a call up to the Canada U23s. How have you been dealing with all the recent accolades? To be honest, if you would of asked me four years ago, where i would be? or what I'd be doing after my senior year? I would of never in a millions years imagined being in the spot I am in now. I think the best way I've learnt to deal with it all, would be not to expect or get my hopes up. All I can do is play hard and give 100% and the rest is out of my control. In the end, soccer is a team sport, and I wouldn't be given these opportunities if it wasn't for my coaches but especially my teammates who have made me a better player/person on and off the field.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
cant say im excited or have paid much attention to this draft as TFC has so few picks so late in the game dont know if theres players worth trading up for, these drafts always seem to be a gamble

seankeay
01-06-2010, 06:46 PM
When you see this years draft class is as good as last years, you will take it serious. Its not the ideal situation for building top level players but the draft has gotten better and better. Turning a blind eye to something that produces such skill is just a huge mistake.

Plus how can you not be excited about a young canadian striker going tops in the draft, especially with the last name Bunbury!!! Its like Gretzky's kid being available in the nhl draft!

Sure I have a bias on this since I love it and cover it, but its like saying ooooh lets not look at african soccer as a way to improve our team because its such a gamble.

my 2 cents

Nuvinho
01-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Just a little bit of an update, MLSDraft.net just caught up with the OTHER canadian invited to the combine, Julien Edwards.

The defender could be a late pick for TFC and has just been called up to the Canadian U23 squad.

http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/270

I posted the same thing in another thread. It could be a good pickup for TFC.

Nuvinho
01-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I really hope we do get a few more picks. We need more depth on the team. I would like to have a full 24 man roster. I don't think we had one at any point last year.

Redpunkfiddle
01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
One word:

Trader Mo

Oldtimer
01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
One word:

Trader Mo

Ummm. that's two words. :lol:

Still, we know what you meant!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2010, 08:23 AM
its like saying ooooh lets not look at african soccer as a way to improve our team because its such a gamble.

pretty reasonable argument here.

i guess the fact they also play games with 15 min quarters and can sub on and sub off as many times as they want sorta spoils their capabilities for me too. ive also been somewhat disappointed with players when theyve been built up to be something and dont pan out (seems to be more often then not that this occurs).

seankeay
01-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Agreed that the College game needs to be improved, (15min quarters, only was for the finals because ESPN needed commercials.... shitty, but if its going to get the soccer on tv so be it.)

But even if you look at Toronto FC and there history through the draft, we have gotten some real gems. Mo Edu, Sam Cronin, Stefan Frei.. yes there are some duds coming through because they are more athletic then skilled, but thats just college sports. Tim Tebow is a freak and the greatest college qb of all time, but he wont get a sniff in the 1st round because the NFL draft is so scientific and specialized that by now they understand.

The MLS coaches need to understand what to look for when watching college soccer, some do it now as you can see by Steve Nicols amazing track record.

I just dont know if the draft will live long enough for it to turn into the science that it should be due to full academies

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2010, 09:33 AM
very good points, itll be curious to see what happens with the ncaa and the draft as the academies grow and become increasingly important. i definitely agree that TFC has benefited in the past (theres definitely no denying that, especially in last years draft), i guess im less interested this year only because we dont have any early picks and i kinda wanna see our current roster stick together with some complimentary additions, feel like its too much of a gamble to trade up on some unproven players

seankeay
01-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Oh I agree for the most part..having 70 players play on tfc in 3 seasons is quite a joke and we do need to keep a core group around here.

It may not be the best move for TFC to get an early draftpick, and thats cool... look at houston not a single draft pick in the first 2 rounds two years in a row and they have done fine.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
totally, theres quite a few players that get picked later in the draft and go on to do bigger/better things than earlier picks, lets hope thats the case with ol TFC

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2010, 12:45 PM
looks like TFC might be looking to trade up with (im assuming) Frei
http://www.icgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=64287&SPID=7095&DB_OEM_ID=14900&ATCLID=204865240
judging by this trial here... i wonder who they have their eye on

Nuvinho
01-07-2010, 01:16 PM
looks like TFC might be looking to trade up with (im assuming) Frei
http://www.icgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=64287&SPID=7095&DB_OEM_ID=14900&ATCLID=204865240
judging by this trial here... i wonder who they have their eye on

I don't know if he'll get drafted. That's why probably he is coming here on trial.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-07-2010, 01:34 PM
yep and if hes good then ya trade off frei for a draft pick

deltox
01-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Toronto FC is the first Canadian and non-American team in the MLS

wow....both CDN and non american...... thats crazy

werewolf
01-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Top 10 midfield prospects - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=719595&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

After a couple of average seasons in the midfield ranks, which have largely been made up of solid defensive types with no real attacking flair, we now get a very promising pool. This might be the best midfield group since I started doing rankings, and I feel confident it is the best class since at least 2006.

The bumper crop is due to a good set of seniors who passed on Generation adidas deals in the last few years, combined with this year's Gen adidas class.
I've chosen to include four prospective Gen adidas players in my midfield list, two who have been confirmed by MLS and two I feel confident will sign GA deals. Even after those four we might see even more talent if MLS lands UCLA freshman Amobi Okugo, U.S. U-17 Luis Gil and UNC's Cameron Brown.

Top 10 2010 midfield prospects

1. Tony Tchani, Virginia -- The "next Sharlie Joseph" tag he's earned tells you only a little bit about this sophomore. A massive 6-foot-4, Tchani has frequently dominated the ACC for his first two seasons. ACC Freshman of the Year in 2008, multiple All-America nods this year, and 17 goals and seven assists in two seasons. Tchani can play multiple spots at the next level, but I think he'll start his career as a deep-lying midfielder. Tough as nails and big, he's an enforcer and has technical skills on top of that. He should be ready to start the minute he walks into an MLS camp. He's been reported to have signed with MLS, but it is not yet official. Tchani has the talent to go No. 1 overall.
2. Corben Bone, Wake Forest -- This junior is the best pure attacking talent to come out of the college game in several years. He's had discussions with MLS every year he's been in college but stayed at Wake for the outstanding tactical development in its program. He has phenomenal ball skills and passing vision. Bone may take a season to get 100 percent in the flow with MLS, but expect him to be running a team from the middle as a pure playmaker before too long. He was the 2007 ACC Freshman of the Year and has earned two first-team All-America nods since. Again not confirmed by MLS, but the U.S. U-20 has been reported as leaving Wake. The only question is where he's headed, MLS or Europe.

3. Toni Stahl, Connecticut -- The most complete and ready-to-go senior in the pool and a dogged, hard-nosed, pure-ball winner. He also should be ready to start in MLS on day one. By comparison, he offers less going forward than last year's senior gem, Sam Cronin, but is a better defender and tackler. Great size at 6-3 and tactically savvy enough for the modern pro midfield. Stahl is from Finland and was 2006 Big East Rookie of the Year in 2006 and first-team Big East every year since. He was also named 2009 Big East Midfielder of the Year and was a second-team All-American.
4. Dilly Duka, Rutgers -- A Generation adidas signing confirmed by MLS, Duka is a former Red Bulls youth player and really vaulted his status with his tremendous performance at the U-20 World Championships. Technically a sophomore, Duka skipped this season at Rutgers to focus on the worlds and has played only one season of college ball. The creative force in the U-20 midfield, Duka has terrific vision and field awareness. He's capable of making the special play to win games. Duka probably isn't ready to make an immediate impact in MLS, but in a couple of seasons he should really be excelling.
5. Blair Gavin, Akron -- A U.S. U-18 and U-20 youth international, this deep-lying junior holding mid has the vision to be a playmaker from deep. He's the anchor in the tremendous Zips midfield that allows their attacking force great freedom. Gavin is the second midfield Generation adidas signing confirmed by MLS. The 6-0 Gavin is a two-time first-team All-Mid-American Conference player. Gavin scored five goals this season, three of which were game winners, and added three assists while leading a defensive unit that had 19 shutouts, the second-highest shutout total in NCAA history.
6. Michael Stephens, UCLA -- The first of two Bruins seniors whose Generation adidas offers in previous years didn't come to fruition and thus enrich this class, Stephens held talks with MLS last year only to have them fall apart late in the process. He's a bit of a cautionary tale, as he's likely going to have cost himself draft status and a bunch of money by staying for one more season. His somewhat lackluster senior season, combined with no roster protection, means Stephens will have to compete for a senior roster spot in MLS. He was the 2008 Pac-10 Player of the Year, only the third such honor in UCLA's storied history. He recorded only seven assists this year for Stephens this year after leading the Pac-10 last year with seven goals and nine assists. Don't let the lesser senior stats fool you: This kid can play.
7. Kyle Nakazawa, UCLA -- One of the stars of the U.S. team at the U-17 worlds back in 2005, Nakazawa negotiated with MLS before going to UCLA and then again after his freshman year. Three years later, he leaves UCLA as a senior saddled with a reputation for amazing skill and an apathetic work rate. The most dangerous free-kick taker in this class, Nakazawa has sublime skills with the ball. Capable of playing in the midfield or as a striker, he's arguably more talented than Stephens but is a less complete player. He had only one Pac-10 honor in his career, a second-team all-conference nod in 2007, before exploding this year with multiple All-America awards thanks to his leading the Bruins in scoring with 12 goals and seven assists.
8. Two-Boys Gumede, Alabama-Birmingham -- The redshirt senior and South Africa native is a second-team All-American and the Conference USA Player of the Year. Only the third player in UAB history with four all-conference nods, Gumede missed the entire 2007 season because of injury but showed in '08 and '09 that he was fully recovered. He's an excellent athlete with tremendous range, and it's the passing vision in the final third that got him the award as the best in Conference USA. Gumede leaves UAB with career totals of 11 goals and 18 assists.
9. Irving Garcia, UC Irvine -- If he weren't 5-5, Garcia might be a more coveted talent. Despite the small stature, Garcia is a terrific soccer player. Good enough on the ball, he has the potential to make it at the MLS level. He started his career at Yavapai College, where he was a JC All-American and a national champion before moving on to UC Irvine. A strong junior year, when he was first-team All-Big West, set up his outstanding senior season, which earned him Big West Offensive Player of the Year and a third-team All-America nod.
10. Nelson Becerra, St. John's -- A midfielder with a solid skill set, Becerra is a player whose intangibles and willpower make him better than his skills alone. He led the Red Storm to last year's College Cup while grabbing the Big East Midfield of the Year award on the strength of his eight goals (five game winners) and seven assists. Becerra is less of a playmaker and more of a difference maker who gets big goals in big games. 2009 was a bit of a step back for St. John's and Becerra. The native of Peru leaves St. John's with career totals of 14 goals (six game winners) and 11 assists.

Ten more seniors to watch
Eric Alexander, Indiana
Mauro Fuzetti, Michigan
Austin da Luz, Wake Forest
Conor O'Brien, Bucknell
Jon Ports, York College
Alan Sanchez, North Carolina State
Michael Strickland, Stanford
Michael Thomas, Notre Dame
Jonathan Villanueva, Virginia
Collen Warner, Portland

werewolf
01-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Top 10 defenders - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=717301&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

While the 2009 rookie crop was a great draft class overall, it wasn't a great season for senior defenders. Most of the top defenders last season were either underclassmen or converted midfielders.

On the other hand, the 2010 group looks to be a bumper crop of seniors with some real talent on the defensive side of things. It reminds me a bit of 2007 when a whole bunch of picks stuck with teams through the first season at least. There are also quite a few diamonds in the rough, and a possibility that a genuine prospect might just pop up from quite low in the ranks.

In addition to the seniors, there are some really outstanding Generation Adidas targets. Names like U.S. U-20 international Gale Agbossoumonde, Cal junior A.J. Soares, and Duke freshman Christian Ibeagha. I don't usually include many possible GA signings and underclassmen, but this year there are two who warrant mention.
Top 10 2010 defenders
1. Ike Opara, Wake Forest -- I'm including the junior Opara, even though he has not officially signed with anyone, because he's the clear top choice. Opara has been the best defender in college the past two years. As a freshman he broke into the starting lineup due to a preseason injury to Julian Valentin. By the time Valentin returned, Opara had played so well coach Jay Vidovich shuffled his entire lineup to keep Opara on the field, moving several All-Americans to do so. Big, strong, fast and a smart defender, Opara is the complete package. He's probably the best defender to leave college since Chad Marshall and might be the best since Eddie Pope. That is if MLS can land him. Opara missed seven Wake games this year while starting for the U.S. at the U-20 World Cup and was still named ACC Defender of the Year, for the second time, and consensus first-team All-American. Opara has been the No. 1 prospect on my overall list two years in a row now and he should be the first overall pick this year.

2. Zach Loyd, North Carolina -- A midfielder or an outside back for most of his college career, Loyd was forced to move to center back this season because of injuries, and he excelled in that position. A first-team All-American and first-team All-ACC, Loyd led the Tar Heels back line to 12 shutouts and only 12 goals allowed all season. Loyd is an extraordinarily fit and athletic player with a great motor and work rate. A smart player and tactically flexible, Loyd can play multiple positions, although I feel his best position and future as a pro is in midfield (even though I left him with the defenders), which just happens to be where MLS listed him for the combine. At 5-foot-9 he's probably considered too short to play center back for most MLS coaches.
3. Chris Schuler, Creighton -- The first of two good defenders coming out of Creighton this year, Schuler is an intimidator and dominant physical presence in the back for the Bluejays. Schuler helped Creighton to eight shutouts this year, a school-record 13 last year and 39 total in his career. A top-10 prospect out of high school, Schuler redshirted at Indiana in 2005 before transferring to Creighton. Despite his size and power at 6-4, 185 pounds, Schuler plays a disciplined game, earning very few yellow cards.
4. Kwame Watson-Siriboe, Connecticut -- The massive Watson-Siriboe (6-3, 196 pounds) dominated play in the Big East this year with UConn to earn the Big East Co-Defender of the Year nod. A former U.S. U-18 player, Watson-Siriboe broke out in 2007 for UConn and might have been ranked higher on this list if not for missing half of 2008 with injury. The UConn back line allowed only 10 goals in 19 games this season while posting 13 shutouts. His superlative senior season should be enough to erase any injury concerns. Watson-Siriboe has pace to go with his size, making him very tough to beat.
5. Sheanon Williams, North Carolina -- Theoretically only a sophomore, Williams left UNC after his outstanding freshman year to focus on the U.S. U-20 team in hopes of signing a professional contract. The somewhat disappointing performance of the U.S. team at the Worlds may have hampered his status as Williams remains "unattached" to any pro club despite trials in Europe. MLS rules can be a bit ambiguous, but, having sat out a season, Williams should be able to sign with MLS as a free agent after the MLS SuperDraft if he doesn't sign a Generation Adidas deal in advance. An outside back with terrific pace, Williams can both defend and get forward to create havoc. He is also a former U.S. U-17 residency player and he did play some PDL soccer with the Carolina Dynamo this past summer.
6. Nick Cardenas, San Diego State -- The towering 6-5 Cardenas was effective at both ends of the pitch for the Aztecs, leaving SDSU with 12 goals and seven assists in his career. A four-time Pac-10 honoree, including Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in 2006, Cardenas has excelled against heavyweight competition week in and week out and is capable of shutting down an offense. A former U.S. U-20 call-up, Cardenas has been involved in 21 shutouts in his college career.
7. Ryan Peterman, University of San Diego -- Being named West Coast Conference Player of the Year as a left back is a nice feat to pull off. Peterman was also WCC First Team in 2008 and All-Rookie Team back in 2006. Peterman likes the ball at his feet and relishes taking players on the dribble. He was a marked man in 2009, literally, as some teams tried to counter him with a marking forward. Peterman has a really nice left foot and is the kind of two-way player who should excel in MLS.
8. Barry Rice, Kentucky -- A tremendous athlete, Rice is the best player ever produced by the University of Kentucky. He earned back-to-back Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year nods in 2007 and 2008, followed up with an All-American award in 2009. Rice is only 5-11, but is blessed with a tremendous vertical. Kentucky added a stat to its game-tracking just for Rice: headers contested/won. Over '08 and '09 Rice won an astounding 315 of the 373 headers he contested, roughly 84 percent. Rice can get forward dangerously too, leaving UK with career tallies of 12 goals and seven assists. He was also recently named one of 15 players on the ESPN High School All-Decade Team for leading St. Ignatius to back-to-back Ohio state titles.
9. Phil Edginton, Louisville -- Another big (6-3) center back out of the Big East, Edginton was named Big East Co-Defensive Player of the Year and was a unanimous selection to the 2009 All-Big East First Team. He led the Cardinal D to 13 shutouts in 20 games and only 12 goals allowed all year. Edginton can provide a little something going forward as well; he grabbed two goals and two assists this season. Recently called to the New Zealand senior national team, Edginton is a former Kiwi U-20, U-16, and U-14 youth international.
10. Seth Sinovic, Creighton -- The other top-notch defender out of Creighton this season is the lefty left back Seth Sinovic. Selected to the MLS Combine last year, the redshirt senior Sinovic made the decision to pull out of the event and return for a final year with the Bluejays. Granted a hardship year by the NCAA, Sinovic had an outstanding season, being named to his second straight All-MVC First Team, his third conference nod in four seasons. A defender capable of shutting down an opposing player one-on-one, Sinovic also contributed offensively. He tied for the Creighton lead in assists with six in 2008, then grabbed three goals and four assists this season to finish second on the team scoring charts.

Kris Banghart, Denver
Nick Barclay, Gonzaga
Mark Blades, Northwestern
Kevin Gallaugher, Cal State Dominguez Hills
Joel Gustafsson, St John's
Martin Hedevag, UC Santa Barbara
Tim Ream, St Louis
Ofori Sarkodie, Indiana
Doug Verhoff, Ohio State
Adam Welch, Lehigh

mastermixer
01-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Obviously don't know much about these college players, but apparently he's a solid defender.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/01/sbi-2010-mls-mock-draft-version-30.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SoccerByIves+%28Soccer+By+Ive s%29

GingerNinja
01-08-2010, 01:31 PM
What are the chances of Mo-Jo trading for a higher pick on draft day?

J .
01-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Id like Bunbury to come home to play, he seems like the real deal. He would be a good forward prospect.

If not, I know the clubs defense was weak, but our wide players were worse and I think in many cases hurt our backline being unable to move the ball forward, make crisp crosses or spread the opponents backline to give players like Gerba, DeRo et al room in the centre of the pitch. If there was someone we could take to play out on the right side I would take him.

CoachGT
01-08-2010, 01:50 PM
What are the chances of Mo-Jo trading for a higher pick on draft day?

Look through the roster. Who on the first team are you ready to give up that someone else would want? Think Cronin, Frei, White, maybe Wynne, or one of the Gambians.

Personally, my preference is to let the draft be this year.

Nuvinho
01-08-2010, 03:06 PM
If you get a solid established CB, then we have either Serioux and/or Nana who can play RB. I would try to trade Wynne for a top 5 to 10 pick (depending if someone bits). As well, if Frei you feel is gonna stick around at TFC, then trade Edwards, since it seems we have some Canadian keepers on trial.

If you feel Frei is going to leave, trade him (once again, if you find anyone who bits).

CoachGT
01-08-2010, 03:21 PM
I think I'd rather have the transfer fee that Frie might generate if and when he leaves, but I would suspect that will be another year or two away. If I was in his position, I'd rather play as a starter in MLS than play as a reservist in some other league.

seankeay
01-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Hey guys, just a little update.... landed in Miami this afternoon and just would like to let you guys know there will be updates daily about the combine on MLSDraft.net

I know we dont have a huge pick, but have a look and click some ads... hahah

But seriously, if you check out the site thanks alot!

mlg_acc99
01-11-2010, 11:42 AM
This article has Oregon State's Danny Mwanga going first overall to Philly. He recently signed with Generation Adidas and MLS.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/01/osus_danny_mwanga_no_1_pick_in.html

Oldtimer
01-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, just a little update.... landed in Miami this afternoon and just would like to let you guys know there will be updates daily about the combine on MLSDraft.net

http://www.mlsdraft.net/

Oldtimer
01-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Article on Teal Bunbury:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2010/01/mls_draft_day_turning_prodigie.html

Naturegirl
01-11-2010, 05:18 PM

hope your enjoying the cold weather Sean!

Anyone going to the draft? while i know it won't be a specatular event for TFC this year, i am leaving 4-5am thursday morning if anyone wants a seat in my car. :) :canada:

Naturegirl
01-11-2010, 05:28 PM
oh and great website sean, well done!

werewolf
01-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Top 10 Forwards - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/section?id=us&cc=5901

As we get to the final positional ranking of the this year's previews, we now know most of the Generation adidas class. As usually happens with the strikers, those signings take us from an average senior class to a good one overall. Every year, MLS is plucking more of the top-tier forward talent out of the pool early. That's a trend that is only going to continue. With the Generation adidas additions, there are players spaced well through the top 10 who could get playing time early in MLS.
One interesting aspect in evaluating strikers, particularly senior strikers, is that many will be changing positions at the next level (Seattle's Brad Evans is a good example). Some will make the attempt at the combine, and some will be moved once they are chosen by MLS coaches.

Top 10 2010 forward prospects
1. Danny Mwanga, Oregon State -- The difference between the top two on this list isn't great. Mwanga is the likely top pick because Philadelphia coach Peter Nowak helped convince the Beavers sophomore to sign a Generation adidas contract. This was Mwanga's last college season either way, as he had trials lined up in France, so landing the exciting attacking threat is a real get for MLS, even if he will command a hefty salary. Mwanga is the first player in Oregon State history to be named Pac-10 Player of the Year, and he led the conference in five statistical categories: points, points per game, goals scored, goals per game and game-winning goals. Second team All-American in 2009 and Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in '08. A citizen of the Republic of Congo, Mwanga has a U.S. refugee travel document, a U.S. green card and resident alien card. He is strong, fast, dynamic, dangerous, has terrific feet, wonderful skill and instincts, and some good size (6-foot-2, 175 pounds) to go with the amazing athleticism.
2. Teal Bunbury, Akron -- The other exciting, dynamic, game-changing talent in this pool is Akron's terrific striker. A former Canadian U-17 international, Bunbury is the son of Canadian international Alex Bunbury, who played for West Ham, Maritimo (Portugal) and the Kansas City Wizards. After making 10 starts as a freshman, Teal Bunbury stepped into the spot vacated by last year's No. 1 pick, Steve Zakuani, and proceeded to light up the MAC with 17 goals and five assists. Bunbury is very similar to Mwanga in skill set, albeit with less polish and perhaps a touch less top-end speed. By comparison, Bunbury is a more pure striker than Zakuani, his Akron predecessor. The Hermann finalist is a first team All-American and the MAC Player of the Year.

3. Andre Akpan, Harvard -- A Generation adidas target for three straight seasons, Akpan continually passed on the MLS offers so he could get his Harvard degree instead. MLS finally gets its man this year, signing our top-ranked senior to a contract prior to the combine. A member of the powerhouse Dallas Texans 88 team that won multiple national championships and the Dallas Cup Super Group, Akpan moved on to Harvard rather than a standard name-brand soccer program. The lack of competitiveness in the Ivy League, frequently mentioned as a knock, doesn't seem to have hurt his game based on his strong performances with the U.S. U-20s in the previous cycle. Not surprisingly, Akpan is a very smart and tactically savvy player with impressive positional sense. Akpan does have some pace but isn't a pure burner like the previous two strikers on this list. Instead, Akpan is a high striker who can play with his back to the goal if needed, but also excels at getting into dangerous scoring positions and putting away goals. Akpan is a three-time All-American and four-time Ivy League first-teamer, leaving Harvard with 47 career goals and 33 assists.
4. Andrew Wiedeman, California -- The third Generation adidas striker on our list, the Cal junior is a former U.S. U-18 and U-20 international. A three-time Pac-10 honoree, first team in 2008 and '09, and an All-American in '08; Wiedeman leaves the Bears with 30 goals and 16 assists in three seasons of Pac-10 play. While he does have a fair number of assists, Wiedeman has a reputation as a goal poacher, scrapper and opportunistic goal scorer.
5. Zach Schilawski, Wake Forest -- What happens when you are a terrific attacking talent, but you go to a school where Cody Arnoux and Marcus Tracy play? You don't start is what happens. But when those two terrific players leave for Europe, if you are good enough, you do what Schilawski did -- and that's lead the ACC with 14 goals, five of them game winners, to earn a third-team All-American nod and a first-team ACC nod. Not being a starter at Wake doesn't mean the kid can't play; he was a key contributor on the great Wake teams of the last few years. He has remarkable career totals of 26 goals and 13 assists in only 18 starts though his junior year. Schilawski has the skills to be a nice off striker or wide mid at the next level; he likes to break down players on the dribble and can play in combination through midfield or on the run.
6. Jack McInerney, U.S. U-17 -- Despite the fact that he's shown great potential, McInerney is a high-risk, high-reward pick at 17 years old. Few teams in the top half of the draft can take a flier on a kid this young, even if he is this talented. McInerney made his name with fans at this year's U-17 Worlds after his terrific performance in the U-17 qualifiers. Blessed with nice feet and touch, McInerney tends to play slightly behind a high striker for the U.S. He likes to shoot from range, but can also dribble through gaps and play off his partner. Nice work by MLS to keep him home and not let him get away to Europe. At 5-foot-8, McInerney is probably still growing, but the size and the physical nature of MLS will be a factor early in his career.
7. Jason Yeisley, Penn State -- What might this young man's career have been without injury? Big Ten second team as a freshman before tearing his MCL in 2006. Rebounded in 2007 before tearing both his MCL and ACL late in the year. Still managed a Big 10 first-team nod despite missing the last month of that season. Redshirted in 2008 rehabbing the knee, missed the entire season, and then came back strong in 2009 to be named Big 10 Offensive Player of the Year with eight goals and five assists. That's 24 goals and 16 assists in a truncated 63-game career. While the knee injuries will scare off some teams, perhaps the clear determination, resiliency and work ethic it takes to recover from that kind of injury and not miss a step will attract some instead.
8. David Estrada, UCLA -- Many people seem to have forgotten how good Estrada was when he burst onto the scene in his walk-on freshman campaign. Estrada led UCLA with a school freshman-record 12 goals and was named almost everyone's national Freshman of the Year that season. A marked man since, Estrada has been given little room to work and not a lot of help up top the last few seasons. Surgery for a fractured metatarsal cost him the first half of the 2007 season. Fully healthy in 2009, Estrada picked up his fourth career Pac-10 nod with a first-team honor on the strength of his three goals and seven assists. A former U.S. U-18 with terrific feet, vision and ball skill, Estrada has always been a combination striker who flourishes in a good partnership. Estrada leaves UCLA with 22 goals and 14 assists in four seasons.
9. Bright Dike, Notre Dame -- At 6-1 and 223 pounds, Dike (pronounced Dee-Kay) is the kind of physical specimen who makes scouts drool, fans cheer and defenders flinch. Big, strong and fast, Dike can blast it with either foot but doesn't have great close control. Dike is kind of an old-fashioned big American striker. Only four starts prior to 2008, and he missed 2007 for a lack of academic credits; Dike demolished defenses in the Big East the last two seasons with 12 goals in 2008 and 11 goals in '09, earning first-team Big East nods each time, and adding Big East Offensive Player of the Year this season.
10. Justin Davis, New Mexico -- "Fast" and "lefty" are the two key words you need to know when talking about Davis, although "good long-range shot" and "nose for goal" don't hurt. Like Schilawski before him on this list, Davis might find a living out wide in midfield at the next level. With multiple Mountain Pacific Sports Federation first-team nods to his credit, Davis notched 13 goals and 12 assists through his junior year and then led the Lobos in scoring this season with seven goals and six assists.

Conor Chinn, San Francisco
Chris Cutshaw, Bradley
David Walker, UCSB
Garrett Webb, Drake
Ronnie Bouemboue, North Carolina State
Mike Seamon, Villanova
Andrew Hoxie, William and Mary
Carlos Villa, Hartford
Connor O'Brien, Bucknell
Sam Maheu, St. Bonaventure

Auzzy
01-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Top 10 midfield prospects - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=719595&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

You know werewolf, that's a very dangerous thing to post on a TFC supporters' website. Mo might read that, and try to get all ten of those players, on the way to his idea of a "Perfect 10" formation (1 goalie, 10 midfielders, and no defenders or forwards). ;) ;)

ArmenJBX
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7148255

Video of Nick Cardenas, on his trip to the combine.

werewolf
01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Latest ESPN mock-draft.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=724268&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

1. Philadelphia Union -- Danny Mwanga, Forward, Oregon State
The Union scouted Mwanga early and pegged him as a dangerous striker with freakish speed and skill. With a contract rumored to be worth $200,000 a season, Mwanga will be under pressure to perform right away.
2. New York Red Bulls -- Tony Tchani, Midfielder, Virginia
The Red Bulls had long been expected to grab Opara to help the club's dire defensive issues, but Tchani has the look of a franchise midfielder, making the decision a tough one. Opara makes a bit more sense as far as need, but Tchani ultimately proves too good to pass up. Don't rule out a deal being made for this pick because several teams absolutely love Tchani.
3. San Jose Earthquakes -- Ike Opara, Defender, Wake Forest
The Earthquakes could use a striker like Teal Bunbury, but ultimately it will be too tough to pass on Opara, a freakishly athletic center back who is just 20 but already boasts better tools than many MLS defenders. Another factor that could affect Opara's stock is that he's considering staying in school till May.

4. Kansas City Wizards -- Teal Bunbury, Forward, Akron
The Wizards could have used Tchani but will be happy to take Bunbury, a fast and big striker who also happens to be the son of former Wizard Alex Bunbury. Also 20, Bunbury has shown some flaws in his finishing, but his top gear is impressive and his size/speed combo will fit in well with the Wizards' other forwards.

5. FC Dallas (from Toronto) -- Corben Bone, Midfielder, Wake Forest
Coach Schellas Hyndman doesn't really need more young players, but Bone is a special talent who also happens to be from the Dallas area. A playmaker who makes things easy for his teammates, Bone didn't have the best combine but his talent is undeniable.
6. FC Dallas -- Zach Loyd, Midfielder, North Carolina
While Tchani wowed scouts, Loyd left plenty of teams impressed at the combine with his versatility and ability to excel no matter where he was played. A defensive midfielder by trade, Loyd can play at right back and in central defense. He's as MLS-ready a player as there is in the draft.
7. D.C. United -- Amobi Okugo, Midfielder, UCLA
The coach Curt Onalfo era promises to feature attacking soccer, but this pick will be a defensive midfielder. Okugo's size, strength and technical ability are truly impressive for an 18-year-old. D.C. could grab Dilly Duka -- and drive New York Red Bulls fans crazy since Duka is a Red Bull academy product -- but Okugo helps fill the void left by Ben Olsen's retirement and Andrew Jacobsen's departure to Philadelphia.
8. Columbus Crew (from Colorado) -- Dilly Duka, Midfielder, U.S. U-20
The Crew would prefer to move up and land Tchani or Bunbury, but with both long gone, the Crew can focus on a skillful and tough central midfielder with great promise. A creative attacking player who isn't afraid to defend and deliver tackles, Duka showed enough creativity at the combine to move into the top 10.
9. New England Revolution -- Toni Stahl, Midfielder, Connecticut
The Revs could use a forward, but disappointing combine performances among the draft's top forwards are likely to make them think about other needs. One potential problem is Revs midfielder Jeff Larentowicz's possible departure for Europe this offseason (he is out of contract). Stahl could step in and replace Larentowicz, giving the Revs a player who isn't as tough but who may be more technically gifted than Larentowicz.
10. Chivas USA -- Blair Gavin, Midfielder, Akron
While central defense is more of a need, Chivas USA will be hard-pressed to pass on a skilled and promising young holding midfielder in Gavin, who is a smooth facilitator with good upside.
11. Seattle Sounders -- Jack McInerney, Forward, U.S. U-17
The Sounders could use depth at forward and will need to choose between McInerney and Cal striker Andrew Wiedeman. With Wiedeman disappointing at the combine, look for coach Sigi Schmid to grab a 17-year-old striker who looked very comfortable playing against older players at the combine.
12. Columbus Crew -- Andrew Wiedeman, Forward, California
The Crew could look elsewhere for a replacement for Alejandro Moreno but will be happy to find Wiedeman this late. Coming off a disappointing showing at the combine, Wiedeman could thrive in the Crew attack.
13. Chicago Fire -- Kwame Watson-Siriboe, Defender, Connecticut
The Fire have some serious offseason moves brewing, so it's tough to project what they will do here. A forward or right winger could help, but Chicago needs some depth in central defense and Watson-Siriboe has established himself as the second-best center back in this draft.
14. New York Red Bulls (via Houston) -- Austin Da Luz, Midfielder, Wake Forest
After taking Tchani with their first pick, the Red Bulls could be tempted to grab a center back next. However, with none rated this highly, the Red Bulls grab Da Luz, a creative midfielder who could play on the left flank or in a playmaking role. The Red Bulls could also trade up from this spot to try to add Duka.
15. Los Angeles Galaxy -- Zack Schilawski, Forward, Wake Forest
The Galaxy added three young Brazilian players this winter, which could be called its own draft haul, but Los Angeles can still use some depth at forward and Schilawski can provide just that. The Wake Forest product is quick, intelligent and a good finisher.
16. Real Salt Lake -- Andre Akpan, Forward, Harvard
The defending champion will be happy to find Akpan fall this far, which is a possibility after the Harvard striker's disappointing combine showing. If Akpan isn't around, look for Real Salt Lake to add the best forward available, or potentially a midfielder like local product Kyle Nakazawa from UCLA.

seankeay
01-12-2010, 10:02 PM
http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/292

Final Mock Draft before the big day.. live chat on draft day. Ive heard mo is trying to make a move for a top pick but not sure if hes going to pull the trigger.

Teal bunbury and julien edwards are two canadian prospects who both look like they will be decent professionals.

BuSaPuNk
01-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Tommarow is the big day. Hopefully MoJo can work some magic with San Jose or Kansas City to get Bunbury. If not oh well. I just want to see any moves that will make us better now and in the future.

Nuvinho
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
from Ives Q&A, here are some of his comments:

As far as trade rumblings, I've heard that Kansas City is trying to move into the No. 2 spot and I've heard that Toronto, Columbus and Los Angeles are all trying to move up in the draft. As far as players who could be on the move on draft day, I'd say Toronto's Marvell Wynne, Columbus' Frankie Hejduk and New England's Chris Albright have all been mentioned in talks.

CHAD- KC has the fourth pick. There are rumors we'll trade it (maybe to Toronto). How do you see this playing out? Do you still see us taking Bunbury?
IVES- If KC deals the pick, it won’t be to move down. The trade talk I’ve heard has involved KC and New York in a potential swap of the 2 and 4 picks with a player or cash being involved. The sense I get is that the Wizards will push for a deal to try and get Tchani, but if that doesn’t work the Wizards will take Bunbury.

JIM- Rumours up north are that Mo is willing to deal Frei and Wynne to grab a stud CB. What are you hearing? And how much influence could Preki have on what TFC does? Any chance for Bunbury to play in a Canadian shirt like his dad used to?
IVES- listen, unless John Terry somehow entered this draft I’m not sure how there’s a center back worth Frei and Wynne. I know Toronto wants to move up, but the problem for TFC is that so many teams love Tony Tchani that it’s making it that much tougher for TFC to swing a deal. That, coupled with Bunbury looking good at the Combine means he’s likely to stay a Top Four pick and unless Toronto can work out a deal with long-time trade partner San Jose, I don’t see a deal happening.

BuSaPuNk
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
So it looks like San Jose holds the keys to us getting Bunbury. I wonder if they would go for Wynne and mabey some allocation or another roster player such as Robbo.

Marco2K
01-13-2010, 03:51 PM
The way i look at it i would be happy if the deal involved eitther Robinson, barrett, wynne.
guess we will just have to wait and see

Whoop
01-13-2010, 04:06 PM
I want to see some draft magic tomorrow.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
meh, id like to see some talented vets brought in, in the positions we need em

seankeay
01-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question.... If i hosted a chat would you guys log in, im just debating doing more a live chat but only if we can get like alot of viewers going on. Last year I had about 75 guys on the chat and it was good, but because a lot of my viewers are canadian and with TFC only having a mid 2nd round pick... im debating just doing an updating blog post.

Let me know..

Nuvinho
01-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question.... If i hosted a chat would you guys log in, im just debating doing more a live chat but only if we can get like alot of viewers going on. Last year I had about 75 guys on the chat and it was good, but because a lot of my viewers are canadian and with TFC only having a mid 2nd round pick... im debating just doing an updating blog post.

Let me know..

I would join. I was actually looking forward to tomorrow at 2pm. I made sure that my schedule was clean so I can watch online the draft and check out the message boards....but just a few hours ago....I got a meeting scheduled for 2pm....damn these people...don't they know Trader Mo is going to wheel n' deal....haha!!!

seankeay
01-13-2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/01/13/sp-mls-draft.html

Interviewed by J-Mo on this upcoming draft, mostly about TFC's pick

Nuvinho
01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Big trade:

SoccerByIves (http://twitter.com/SoccerByIves)

Philadelphia trades top Allocation spot to DC for Fred, no. 7 overall pick and allocation money. DC to use spot to take Troy Perkins. WOW

DC gave up alot!!

Jay P
01-13-2010, 09:59 PM
so philly has 2 draft picks and fred? while dc gave up fred, lost emilio and got perkins? damn!

Nuvinho
01-13-2010, 10:03 PM
so philly has 2 draft picks and fred? while dc gave up fred, lost emilio and got perkins? damn!

and allocation money.

deal very confusing, unless Fred isn't going to play in MLS anymore.

Jay P
01-13-2010, 10:05 PM
hopefully this is just the start of an interesting day

TFCRegina
01-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Look for the wheeling and dealing to continue...Trader Mo hasn't gotten started yet!

Nuvinho
01-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Perkins returns to the MLS, only because he found out Dichio retired ;)

Whoop
01-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Good job on your blog sean.

But I just noticed one of the player's names.

Bright Dike!

Oh man.

ag futbol
01-14-2010, 12:00 AM
I'd like to think Fred has something left in the tank this year. After a great initial season with DC he got hampered with injuries (and distracted with a death in the family or something like that). On his day he's one of the better players in MLS, but in a slump he very bad.

Interest trade, not suprized to see DCU jump to take Troy Perkins. The stupidity of these rules never cease to amaze me however.

It's Called Football
01-14-2010, 12:25 AM
How close is MLS to a lockout? Will Stuart Holden land with Bolton? Is Jonathon De Guzman angling for a return to Canada?

We try to answer these questions as John Molinaro from CBC Sports joins us to talk about Toronto FC's draft hopes, what went on in their locker room last season and discuss when (if ever) Canada will make a World Cup

Full show: http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/421993

Get the Interview Only of John Molinaro from CBC Sports as he speaks on who were the bad apples in Toronto FC's locker room, his thoughts on Jim Brennan as a leader and who on TFC is being shopped around right now.

Subscribe and download to It's Called Football for Interviews Only on iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/browserRedirect?url=itms%253A%252F%252Fitunes.appl e.com%252FWebObjects%252FMZStore.woa%252Fwa%252Fvi ewPodcast%253Fid%253D301350624)

Subscribe and download to It's Called Football for Interviews Only on everything else (http://itscalledfootball.podhoster.com/)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Is Jonathon De Guzman angling for a return to Canada?

we trading up for a 2nd DP? :)

Fishnicker
01-14-2010, 10:39 AM
What's all this then?

From Ives "Did Toronto FC pull off any trades last night? I was told they did, but I'll wait for more details before saying that they definitely did."

Anyone hear anything about this?

T.Reis
01-14-2010, 11:21 AM
LOL, I just read that myself and almost crapped me pants!

There goes working for the rest of the day!

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Ives: 11:25am- Kyle McCarthy is reporting that Philadelphia has acquired the No. 6 overall pick from FC Dallas.

Wow a 1st,6th and 7th pick. Philly looking to be the team of the day.

James17930
01-14-2010, 11:44 AM
If we had picked up one of the top spots we'd probably have heard about it by now . . .

SteeltownBhoy
01-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Is the draft being streamed live anywhere online??

James17930
01-14-2010, 11:49 AM
MLSnet.com?

Nodoubtguy
01-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Ives: 11:25am- Kyle McCarthy is reporting that Philadelphia has acquired the No. 6 overall pick from FC Dallas.

Wow a 1st,6th and 7th pick. Philly looking to be the team of the day.

its supposedly #6 for allocation money

daner90
01-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Wow the union stocking up on young talent

cincy
01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/01/14/mls_superdraft_mls_soccercentral/

werewolf
01-14-2010, 12:50 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=724454&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

Live updates from 1:30pm.

drewski
01-14-2010, 12:55 PM
goal.com has a live chat that just started

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/01/14/1745318/2010-mls-superdraft-cover-it-live-with-goalcom

Phil
01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Dobson posted this:

The league has just sent out a release announcing the formation of a new department to deal specifcally with player contracts and labour relations. Interesting timing given the acrimonious labour dispute ongoing right now.

billyfly
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Ives:

1:15pm- About that Colorado trade talk. The word I'm getting is that the Rapids and New England Revolution are discussing a deal involving Cory Gibbs and the rights to Jeff Larentowicz along with either a pick or allocation money. Haven't gotten it confirmed, but that's the word I'm getting.

denime
01-14-2010, 01:18 PM
12:42 p.m. ET:
TRADE: Chris Albright traded by New England to New York for the 31st and 48th overall picks.

Darlofletch
01-14-2010, 01:31 PM
We try to answer these questions as John Molinaro from CBC Sports joins us to talk about Toronto FC's draft hopes, what went on in their locker room last season and discuss when (if ever) Canada will make a World Cup

...John Molinaro from CBC Sports as he speaks on who were the bad apples in Toronto FC's locker room, ...

I'm at work, can't listen right now, but has anyone checked this out? Is it being discussed elsewhere, or has everyone else moved on from last year and only worrying about the future?

SvenFlu
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Stream here

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=62574&part=sports

rocker
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm at work, can't listen right now, but has anyone checked this out? Is it being discussed elsewhere, or has everyone else moved on from last year and only worrying about the future?

Molinaro still doesn't give any specifics.. just that there were divisions in the lockerroom after Carver left, Cummins didn't deal with them, Jimmy B wasn't a strong enough leader and Amado was considered a good guy in the dressing room. he was also asked about the Dichio thing and didn't add any details of what happened. just said Dichio didn't want to talk about it.

rocker
01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Stream here

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=62574&part=sports

i'm getting "channel not found" on those veetle links. I hope they work at 2pm. i can't find any other links anywhere.

Nodoubtguy
from ives

Toronto has been trying hard to make deals, and I have heard that Wynne has been dangled, but it appears Philly has stolen TFC's thunder in grabbing two first-rounders. That said, San Jose still has No. 3 and we know how much the Earthquakes love to trade with Toronto.

Flint
From Soccercentral live blog:

"Interestingly enough the Toronto contingent were in their seats and hovered over their laptops long before anyone else. Its the boss Mo Johnston, coach Preki, assistants Nick Dasovic and Leo Percovic, as well as head scout Tim Regan. Every other team table remained vacant for at least 15 minutes."

SvenFlu
01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Another place you can watch it if you have access

http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/channels?channel=3578752

Gixmo
01-14-2010, 01:46 PM
If Frei goes, I am going to break a local bus stop window...

Phil
01-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Dobson:

A huge throng of Philadelphia supporters have loudly made their way into the room. When they settled down, a lonely voice bellowed out "T-F-C!!" These guys are everywhere

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 01:48 PM
:rofl: Is it Deniz???

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 01:50 PM
so are we doing a live blog in here?

Phil
01-14-2010, 01:50 PM
:rofl: Is it Deniz???

LOL, I was thinking that.

It might be Connie, I know she went down.

Nodoubtguy
01-14-2010, 01:51 PM
hmmmm......Connie is down there...lol

WHITEY
01-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I hope its Wynn getting shipped out to SJ

TFC 420
01-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Another place you can watch it if you have access

http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/channels?channel=3578752
This link is USA only. It won't let Canadians access the video. I need a link! HELP

Nodoubtguy
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Dobson

Chatted briefly with the Toronto guys. No indication they have anything brewing, but you never know.

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
:Dnodoubtguy: you watching a draft show, where are you getting these quotes from Dobson?

Boris
01-14-2010, 01:58 PM
;852498']:Dnodoubtguy: you watching a draft show, where are you getting these quotes from Dobson?

Nodoubtguy
01-14-2010, 01:59 PM
so no live feed??

RPLProducer
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
so no live feed??

can't find one either

Oblio2
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
At work-No access to anything except you guys updating

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Jesus ESPN turn the damn music down - can't even here the commentator talking...

Carts...

Flint
01-14-2010, 02:05 PM
The MLS site sais the first 16 picks are live on ESPN2 but I dont get it :(

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:06 PM
1. Danny Mwanga goes 1st overall... to Philly...

TFC 420
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
http://www.justin.tv/fifa021#r=VeYsJSA

Nodoubtguy
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM

THANK YOU!

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:08 PM
That music is shit! LOL

Shway
01-14-2010, 02:08 PM
i was about to post this
i wanted to be the heroo

denime
01-14-2010, 02:09 PM
so who is #1 pick?

RPLProducer
01-14-2010, 02:09 PM

you da man

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
lol@dobson reporting that o'brien white was omitted by team Canada vs Jamaica, no surprises...ha....no change until the shit hits the wall as usual:(

Carts
so who is #1 pick?

Look 5 posts up... LOL

1. Danny Mwanga goes 1st overall... to Philly...

Flint

I LOVE YOU!

NewCity
Here's the live free stream for us Canadians!!! :) Enjoy!

http://www.justin.tv/fifa021#r=nqP6dWg

Chevy
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Rowdy - sounds like a dart match!

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:12 PM
#2 - New York = Tony Tchani

Marco2K
http://www.justin.tv/fifa021#r=679Ghcg

[NBF]
I LOVE YOU!
you forgot to add "Man!" to end of that, otherwise it just sounds wrong.....

Phil
Tony Tchani
nyrb

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Tony Tchani
nyrb

Pfft, I posted that 40-seconds before you... Get in the game! :D

Carts...

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Did TFC make any trades for a 1st round pick?

Nodoubtguy
starting to think it might be a quiet day for us....

Carts
;852538']Did TFC make any trades for a 1st round pick?

Nothing yet...

Shaughno
Pfft, I posted that 40-seconds before you... Get in the game! :D

Carts...

Hey Carts... nice avatar, when'd you get the sex change???

More importantly... how the fuck did you come up with the money for it? :rofl:

Shway
#3 - Ike Opara

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM
starting to think it might be a quiet day for us....
No doubt?:facepalm:

Carts
Hey Carts... nice avatar, when'd you get the sex change???

More importantly... how the fuck did you come up with the money for it? :rofl:

I keep betting against Liverpool, and they keep losing... I'm making a fortune... LOL... So sad, so true... :(

Shway
look at the MLS Jabulani ball

Carts
3. San Jose = Ike Opara

Oblio2
Tony Tchani
nyrb

Joannie Love Tchani

AL-MO
01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
#3 - Ike Opara

Seems to be the consensus.

Parkdale
01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/draft/mls/

^ espn chart overview

http://www.justin.tv/fifa021#r=DyBzS4U

^ video.

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
3. San Jose = Ike Opara

Oprah is playing in the MLS? Damn how'd she shed the weight so fast?????

Pigfynn
01-14-2010, 02:18 PM

:facepalm:

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Up comes KC. Hopefully MoJo can work something out in the next 3 mins.

Shaughno
:facepalm:

Fuck off, you laughed. ;)

Phil
Up comes KC. Hopefully MoJo can work something out in the next 3 mins.

Moves can happen after too. :D

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Moves can happen after too. :D

Yeah I thought that too. Mabey they have a deal worked out after KC picks Bunbury.

Chevy
I think it will be a slow day for TFC - we made our mark in last year's draft.

I could see of one or two of our selections were a bust in 2009, but we're looking great in the young players' department.

Marco2K
I just worry that Mo is actually lost now. I hope i am wrong.

We need to turn over some of the shit players we have. So far we have dumped vitti and Co. but have not picked up anyone.

Mo needs to move one of the dead weights bad.

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 02:21 PM

Lots of Aerobics I guess. Here's a question: If Oprah jumps up and down, do Haitians tremble and yell "Earthquake!":facepalm:

Too soon?:facepalm:

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
#4 Kansas City - Teal Bunbury

Chevy
01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
^^ Off base dude. You're on a time out.

Flint
;852532']you forgot to add "Man!" to end of that, otherwise it just sounds wrong.....

hahaha my bad

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB

Boo!~

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-14-2010, 02:23 PM
HOw come Toronto never got the MLS super Draft in there first year...?

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if MoJo just ran up to him and handcuff himself to him.

"HE"S MINE!!"

LOL

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Yeah I thought that too. Mabey they have a deal worked out after KC picks Bunbury.

Something smells... fishy. ;)

;852570']Lots of Aerobics I guess. Here's a question: If Oprah jumps up and down, do Haitians tremble and yell "Earthquake!":facepalm:

Too soon?:facepalm:

:rofl: I got an email from my mum, who's in the Dominican right now.

"Don't worry, we're ok. Thought I was so hammered that the ground was moving on me, turns out... it actually was!"

:rofl: classic.

RPLProducer
01-14-2010, 02:24 PM
this just in... the nephew of peschisolido has signed for KC and vic rauter has signed on to be play by play commentator. :p

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM

We did... we picked Mo Edu. ;)

nascarguy
fcd is up

[NBF]
I would prefer if TFC didn't pick Bunbury, since we never even gave Obrien White a chance last year. Bunbury selection would give us 5 strikers. Bunbury, Gerba, White, Barrett, Ibrahim

Pigfynn
01-14-2010, 02:26 PM
We did... we picked Mo Edu. ;)

He means host it

Carts
#5 Dallas = Zach Loyd

BuSaPuNk
;852584']I would prefer if TFC didn't pick Bunbury, since we never even gave Obrien White a chance last year. Bunbury selection would give us 5 strikers. Bunbury, Gerba, White, Barrett, Ibrahim

Excactly no excuse for not scoring goals. And with DeRo in the mid. We should score all the time.

Marco2K
01-14-2010, 02:27 PM
White is the only guy i would keep.
Gerba STINKS!!

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:27 PM
You know what's fantastic? Everyone is on this thread like white on rice... but we only have two picks... and neither is going to land us anything decent LOL

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2010, 02:28 PM
;852584']I would prefer if TFC didn't pick Bunbury, since we never even gave Obrien White a chance last year. Bunbury selection would give us 5 strikers. Bunbury, Gerba, White, Barrett, Ibrahim

Would be a good move 6 strikers we wouldn't have an excuse to not score. LOL

I don't like the idea of getting a defender lower in the draft. Too much of a work in progress.

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
:rofl: I got an email from my mum, who's in the Dominican right now.

"Don't worry, we're ok. Thought I was so hammered that the ground was moving on me, turns out... it actually was!"

:rofl: classic.

Im part Dominican and grew up in El Salvador till I moved to Canada so Ive seen some sad scenes in my life, but a city that big in ruins is horrifying. If you think about its almost as if it had a nuclear bomb detonated over it.

Good to hear your mom is alright.:D

Shaughno
Would be a good move 6 strikers we wouldn't have an excuse to not score. LOL

I don't like the idea of getting a defender lower in the draft. Too much of a work in progress.

Agreed. Plus is one of the kids (ie White/Ibbe) start producing, adios either Barrett or Gerba.

I still think Gerba needs to get in shape before we can accurately assess how he fits in with the team. He's a good player when fit and used properly. So far we haven't see either IMO.

sully
Is Mo compelled to pick someone or can he decide not to if he wishes?

Carts
# 6 Philly = Amobi Okugo

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Is Mo compelled to pick someone or can he decide not to if he wishes?

Why wouldn't you? It's basically a free bench player.

Shway
01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
there are so many Africans in the draft lol

sully
01-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Why wouldn't you? It's basically a free bench player.

Yeah but what's the point in investing time and money in someone who isn't likely to make an impact in the future...

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah but what's the point in investing time and money in someone who isn't likely to make an impact in the future...

They cost almost nothing. Majority of them won't make over $35k this year anyway. Worst case scenario, you offload them before the halfway point of the season. Best case, you find a diamond in the rough.

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Is Gerba the canadian version of Collin Samuel, cuz really we all know how this will end for both sides.

http://media.decider.com/assets/images/articles/article/28310/pie_in_face_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Agreed. Plus is one of the kids (ie White/Ibbe) start producing, adios either Barrett or Gerba.

I still think Gerba needs to get in shape before we can accurately assess how he fits in with the team. He's a good player when fit and used properly. So far we haven't see either IMO.

I think White and Gerba will benefit from a full training camp and OBW with the injury behind him he should tear it up this year. OBW is probably just as good as Burnbury and he has a taste of the MLS game. Probably will be more productive then Burnbury.

daner90
01-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=852576#post852576)

I was reading an article that said the MLS Super Draft has been hosted at the US Coaching Convention over the past few seasons and it has just happened to be in Seattle and Philly the last few years

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:36 PM
I think White and Gerba will benefit from a full training camp and OBW with the injury behind him he should tear it up this year. OBW is probably just as good as Burnbury and he has a taste of the MLS game. Probably will be more productive then Burnbury.

Definitely agreed. If they don't produce after a proper training camp and stay injury free, then it's time to look at offloading the overpaid strikers and start bringing in someone who WILL get results.

Red CB Toronto
01-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Are GA players citizenship also roster exempt, does Bunbury take up an import spot?

Carts
#7 Philly (again) = Jack McInerney (the kid looks 12 yrs old!)

RPLProducer

yep looked like colin samuel had "gerba" on the back of his shirt.

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Are GA players citizenship also roster exempt, does Bunbury take up an import spot?

Bunbury has American heritage I think anyway?

GA players are roster exempt regardless of citizenship, I would think.

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Definitely agreed. If they don't produce after a proper training camp and stay injury free, then it's time to look at offloading the overpaid strikers and start bringing in someone who WILL get results.

+1 :hump:

S_D
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
They cost almost nothing. Majority of them won't make over $35k this year anyway. Worst case scenario, you offload them before the halfway point of the season. Best case, you find a diamond in the rough.

Mo declined picks in the supplemental draft a year or two ago. Not that they would have been any better than pylons.

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Mo declined picks in the supplemental draft a year or two ago. Not that they would have been any better than pylons.

So that who was training at BMO in Parkies pick.

LOL

Shway
Corben bonr - columbus

[NBF]

Generation Addidas, just means that the league has brabded that player as a rising star, and I think it comes from having played in the U.S. College system. Whether they are international players or home players it depends on the player. I dont ever recall a G.A. player ever being a foreigner, who never played in the college ranks.

Carts
#8 Columbus = Dilly Duka

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM

Supplemental is AFTER this draft though. It's the players who were good enough to make the Superdraft. meaning... bit part college players at best. Even the lower SuperDraft players have a chance at making a name for themselves. Supplemental players... not so much.

rocker
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
DILLY... unique name

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:44 PM
DILLY... unique name

That's just begging for a "Double D's" banner!!! lol

Pigfynn
What the ?

BuSaPuNk
DILLY... unique name

Dilly Dilly
He's gone a small willie!!

Shway
DILLY... unique name
nickname

is Dillavaire

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:45 PM
DILLY... unique name

LOL Dilly Dally Duka!

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Supplemental players, i think also means players that are foreign, lets say from other countries that decided to enter the draft. Someone from the U.S. virgin Islands, or Bermuda, or even Puerto Rico, etc.

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
;852640']Supplemental players, i think also means players that are foreign, lets say from other countries that decided to enter the draft. Someone from the U.S. virgin Islands, or Bermuda, or even Puerto Rico, etc.

I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure it's just the fringe players who didn't make a name for themselves at the MLS Combine.

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
#9 New England = Zach Schilawski

Shway
Union are going to have a solid team

rocker
nickname

is Dillavaire

that's even more unique.. never known anyone named Dillavaire or Dilly.

[NBF]
Andrew Boyens was also selected in 2007 by TFC along with Maurice Edu.

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
;852640']Supplemental players, i think also means players that are foreign, lets say from other countries that decided to enter the draft. Someone from the U.S. virgin Islands, or Bermuda, or even Puerto Rico, etc.

I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure it's just the fringe players who didn't make a name for themselves at the MLS Combine.

WE're both wrong LOL

The MLS Supplemental Draft had a number of incarnations:
From 1996 to 1999, all players playing in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) currently playing professionally in the United Soccer Leagues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Soccer_Leagues) were eligible for the MLS Supplemental Draft, where they could be selected by all Major League Soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer) teams. Players graduating college were entered into a separate MLS College Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_College_Draft). The division between the two was eliminated in 2000, when they were combined into a single MLS SuperDraft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_SuperDraft).

As of 2009, the Superdraft will no longer be followed by the Supplemental Draft due to roster changes for the 2009 season decreasing the number of developmental spaces

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM

That's right the supplemental draft was just fringe guys out of college and guys that weren't in the combine.

rocker
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM
i thought Lalas just said "When in doubt, take the WHITE guy..."" then realized he said "WAKE" guy. haha

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Which apparently is now gone the way of the dodo...

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:51 PM
#10 Chivas = Blair Gavin

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
its starting to look like we're not making a trade.........lol@ a trade at this point anyways....................I think Preki just came along with Mo for show.

Shway
Chivas USA - AUSTIN DA LUZ my guess

Shway
Mccarts how you get these so early?

ChrisLav
01-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Do all the Generation Adidas guys come from Akron because they leave school early realizing that nobody could possibly stand being in Akron for 4 years?

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Mccarts how you get these so early?

Watching the backhaul (raw clean feed from the location, not the routed feed through ESPN) here at work (TSN) on the in house satelite/cable system...

Carts...

Carts
01-14-2010, 02:56 PM
#11 Seattle = David Estrata

BuSaPuNk
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Got to love how the ESPN guys keep tooting the Seattle horn. Wow this year it's going to be a big hard on with the Union with them.

Shway
01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Corben Bone hahaah
unsigned hype

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Corben Bone hahaah
unsigned hype

Imagine if Dallas signed him....?

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/fifthelement15.jpg

Parkdale
Union are going to have a solid team

you never really know.

Carts
Columbus Crew call 5-min timeout...

Parkdale
Imagine if Dallas signed him....?

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/fifthelement15.jpg

BIG BADA BOOM!!!

Sab0tage
01-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Mo going for the Crew's pick? Haha.

Nodoubtguy
01-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Crew people on the phone....Mojo magic??

I heard GSB has a deal in principal, maybe GSB coming here?? lol :rofl:

billyfly
01-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Maybe a deal so we can bring banners into the Crew Stadium again? Maybe get Jesus back?

Carts
01-14-2010, 03:07 PM
#12 Columbus - Bright Dike (this guy weighs 223lbs!!!)

Sab0tage
01-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Maybe a deal so we can bring banners into the Crew Stadium again? Maybe get Jesus back? Is it true that they took the Jesus banner from us last year?

billyfly
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
They took the banner.

[NBF]
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
lol@the jesus banner, does anyone have a pic of that?

oxygenatedbrain
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
No one noticed Carts...

Suds
01-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Dilly Duka & Bright Dike????

c'mon ... is Columbus having us on? hahaha!

nascarguy
01-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Is it true that they took the Jesus banner from us last year?
i think KD has it

Shaughno
01-14-2010, 03:11 PM

What does he play and how tall?

Is it true that they took the Jesus banner from us last year?

Yes.

Carts
01-14-2010, 03:11 PM
#13 Chicago - Corben Bone

billyfly
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
i think KD has it

Don't think so. I don't think they gave it back.

Carts
01-14-2010, 03:13 PM

Forward, 6'1", 223lbs...

Shway
01-14-2010, 03:13 PM
What does he play and how tall.

6-1 , and FW

Phil
01-14-2010, 03:14 PM

He plays in a crap palace called Columbus and 5 foot 3. He will fit in well.:D

nascarguy
01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
video feed for espn is gone down

Carts
01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
#14 - New York call 5-min time out...

yellowfellow
01-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Dobson's blog

"Here's something you want to hear: (Teal Bunbury) says he'd love to play in the country where he was born. He was born in Hamilton, Ontario. Great news. TFC wanted him , but just couldn't swing a deal to make it happen."

FluSH
01-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Maybe a deal so we can bring banners into the Crew Stadium again? Maybe get Jesus back?

I said that I would never go back to that filth town again... but I'll do it to save Jesus!

-FluSH

Nodoubtguy
01-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I said that I would never go back to that filth town again... but I'll do it to save Jesus!

-FluSH

Wait...were saving Jesus?? I thought he was supposed to save us!!! I'm confused now....

rocker
01-14-2010, 03:20 PM
bad names from previous drafts:

Chance Myers
Brek Shea

Carts
01-14-2010, 03:20 PM
#14 New York = Austin da Luz

Carts
01-14-2010, 03:23 PM
#15 - Los Angeles = Arena on the phone, sent a runner to talk to another team...

Carts
01-14-2010, 03:25 PM
#15 Los Angeles = 4-minute clock running out, either a timeout or pick asap...

Carts
01-14-2010, 03:25 PM
#15 Los Angeles = 4-minute clock running out, either a timeout or pick asap...

TIME OUT LOS ANGELES...

billyfly
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Dobson's blog

"Here's something you want to hear: (Teal Bunbury) says he'd love to play in the country where he was born. He was born in Hamilton, Ontario. Great news. TFC wanted him , but just couldn't swing a deal to make it happen."

This is like:

"Hey that hot chick over there would have totally done you but, she went home with another guy instead."

Sab0tage
01-14-2010, 03:27 PM
This is like:

"Hey that hot chick over there would have totally done you but, she went home with another guy instead." Well, it's not as if he really had a choice. If he was a free agent and said he wanted to play for us then signed with KC I'd agree with you.

billyfly
01-14-2010, 03:28 PM
^ I know I am just making fun of Dobson's "good news".

Sab0tage
01-14-2010, 03:29 PM
^ I know I am just making fun of Dobson's "good news". Yeah haha, it's not exactly good news, unless Mo makes a deal for him lol.

Carts
01-14-2010, 03:29 PM
#15 Now Real Salt Lake... Flip picks with LA...

yellowfellow
01-14-2010, 03:30 PM
I think he is just saying it. The kid grew up in Minnesota, KC is closer to home.

nascarguy
01-14-2010, 03:30 PM
http://www.justin.tv/fifa021#r=679Ghcg
Content from this channel removed at the request of the copyright holder

Carts
01-14-2010, 03:33 PM
#15 - still waiting on the pick, & waiting on confirmation LA & RSL flipped picks...

yellowfellow
01-14-2010, 03:33 PM
#15 - Collen Warner