PDA

View Full Version : Any Barrett backers left?

Stryker
12-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Like most of you I found myself incredibley frustrated at times by Barrett's horrid finishing. There were many a game where I was screaming at the tv for him to be subbed off. And like many there will always be alittle resentment that he was using up precious minutes that we could have used to cheer on club hero Danny Dichio instead.
Maybe I'm getting soft during the offseason... no longer being as emotionally invested in the team week in and out but a part of me can't help but hope we keep Chad and he does great things for us and himself next year.
I can't help but feel for a guy who looked so anguished when he missed. For someone who must have felt the crap when teammates wouldn't feed him the ball while running in on goal all alone.
And how can you not root for a guy whom dispite fitness issues and injuries was still the hardest working guy on the pitch most games?
I honestly hope Barrett gets a chance this coming season and catches fire.

DOMIN8R
12-28-2009, 05:52 PM
I'll give him another 10 games.

sulfur
12-28-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm personally a fan of his. Sure, he's had some terrible luck this past year in front of goal, but he's taken some good ones along the way too.

And on top of that, he's probably the hardest working player on the squad. Since Winsper got his fitness levels up, he runs hard and creates stuff on that field of play for every minute that he's out there. He's one of the few that never seems to give up.

GhostKiller
12-28-2009, 05:56 PM
As far as taking up time on the field, that is completly out of his control. CC made the call so you can't hate on the guy for getting all those minutes. He worked hard for those minutes too. His finishing is nothing new. Besides having a sub par season he is pretty consistant with his lack of finishing. I'm a firm beliver if you have someone with that work effort you need to find a way to make them fit. I'll be upset if Barrett doesn't return, Dro and him have good play together.
GK

Technorgasm
12-28-2009, 05:59 PM
HATED him so much when he was with Chicago, and loved his misses. .

but seeing him in games and hearing about his dedication and training, I have never given up on him after he put on the Red shirt.

He has aLOT more to give to this squad, and I think by week 5 he will be suppling the proof to shut the haters up.

WALK ON BARRETTA. . .

Marco2K
12-28-2009, 05:59 PM
He tries very hard. But man he stinks. He has ZERO finishing touch. In a perfect world he would not be coming back!

Roogsy
12-28-2009, 06:07 PM
I'd like to see him do well. I really would. I'd like to think a guy who works that hard can make it, at least become a useful part of the roster.

I am pulling for him. But I too am horribly disappointed in the low production for all that work.

rocker
12-28-2009, 06:09 PM
i wanna see how he does with preki's tutelage.

DOMIN8R
12-28-2009, 06:18 PM
DR. SAUL MILLER

Leading Performance & Sports Psychologist

Dr. Saul L. Miller is one of North America’s leading performance and sport psychologists. He is the author of seven books, including: Performing Under Pressure, and his latest book Why Teams Win, 9 Keys to Success in Business, Sport, and Beyond. Dr. Miller consults with sport teams, corporations and health organizations across North America. The focus of his work is enhancing performance, team building, and helping people achieve success while dealing effectively with pressure, stress, and change.

JDG
12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
He has it in him, but nobody has figured out how to extract it yet.
I want him to do well, but I'm concerned that it won't happen.

ExiledRed
12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
He's not good enough.

Sulfur calls his lack of skill 'bad luck'

I call it lack of skill (and stamina). He's too old to improve to the level he needs to be at. Barrett and his 4 year contract is Mo's biggest error.

Yeoman
12-28-2009, 06:45 PM
He has it in him, but nobody has figured out how to extract it yet.
I want him to do well, but I'm concerned that it won't happen.

pretty much the same here
i mean i did after all get barrett on the back of one of my kits.
then again; i did get ricketts too lol

canadian_bhoy
12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm personally a fan of his. Sure, he's had some terrible luck this past year in front of goal, but he's taken some good ones along the way too.

And on top of that, he's probably the hardest working player on the squad. Since Winsper got his fitness levels up, he runs hard and creates stuff on that field of play for every minute that he's out there. He's one of the few that never seems to give up.

None of the points you make have anything to do with scoring goals. His strike rate at TFC is similar to the one he had in Chicago - neither are/were good enough.

I appreciate his work ethic, but he shouldn't be a starting player on our team and shouldn't be thought of as a guy who will score goals when needed. He's a good worker who can come off the bench and hopefully contribute.

jazzy
12-28-2009, 07:08 PM
None of the points you make have anything to do with scoring goals. His strike rate at TFC is similar to the one he had in Chicago - neither are/were good enough.

I appreciate his work ethic, but he shouldn't be a starting player on our team and shouldn't be thought of as a guy who will score goals when needed. He's a good worker who can come off the bench and hopefully contribute.

that's all she wrote........my heart stops when he has a clear scoring chance, approx 5 times a game.....and zilch......at $60.000, maybe

sulfur
12-28-2009, 07:09 PM
He's not a striker. It's that simple. He's just not a striker. He's a winger. And he makes a good winger.

Brooker
12-28-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll be wearing my Barrett jersey a lot of the time next year and look forward to the sarcastic comments yet again!

one thing I don't understand is the booing he gets from some people in 112. it's kinda dumb... he's with us for a while, so we might as well cheer for him. booing is just gonna make him worse.

CoachGT
12-28-2009, 07:14 PM
He's not a striker. It's that simple. He's just not a striker. He's a winger. And he makes a good winger.

I agree. Unfortunately, he still thinks he's a striker. I thought he was extremely effective on the wing, had great service into the middle (just no real finisher there) and worked from box to box. I think he is as good a tackler as there is on the team, comparable to both Robbo and Vitti (who was excellent at tackling).

I'd like to see him work whatever kinks he has out on the wing, and hopefully he'll pot a few from there.

TFC HSV
12-28-2009, 07:20 PM

+2. Hes the one guy I want to see succeed more then anyone. Love his work ethic. I hope he can pull it together this year. He seemed to do good out on the wing, maybe play him there more. Hopefully preki can be the one to solve him.

jazzy
12-28-2009, 07:36 PM
+2. Hes the one guy I want to see succeed more then anyone. Love his work ethic. I hope he can pull it together this year. He seemed to do good out on the wing, maybe play him there more. Hopefully preki can be the one to solve him.

How much time do U give someone, I hope we have a cutthroat, coach who doesn't wait forever on none producers, who that may be , who knows? but our team is getting the rep as the slowest starter of all newly established teams, can we afford to get behind Philly, Van, Portland and Montreal in the future? Noone can argue Barrett has not had enough time on the field.

Marco2K
12-28-2009, 07:44 PM

Oh man!! You are a sad sad man!!

Oldtimer
12-28-2009, 07:47 PM
He's not good enough.

I call it lack of skill (and stamina). He's too old to improve to the level he needs to be at. Barrett and his 4 year contract is Mo's biggest error.

I have to disagree.

It's most certainly not lack of skill, at least not skill at the MLS level. As several players noted throughout the year, Barrett's problems are entirely psychological.

Oldtimer
12-28-2009, 07:48 PM
DR. SAUL MILLER

Leading Performance & Sports Psychologist

You've hit it on the head.

TFC HSV
12-28-2009, 08:04 PM
How much time do U give someone, I hope we have a cutthroat, coach who doesn't wait forever on none producers, who that may be , who knows? but our team is getting the rep as the slowest starter of all newly established teams, can we afford to get behind Philly, Van, Portland and Montreal in the future? Noone can argue Barrett has not had enough time on the field.

Not arguing the time hes had. Unfortunatly he's had enough. Hes not a striker, though I did like him on the wing. Professional sports isnt a place for vets to learn on the job.

s2cazz
12-28-2009, 08:07 PM
I'd like to see him do well. I really would. I'd like to think a guy who works that hard can make it, at least become a useful part of the roster.

I am pulling for him. But I too am horribly disappointed in the low production for all that work.
Maybe under Preki's guidance he may do better. By mid-season we should know. If not then he should be shipped out plan and simple.

Beach_Red
12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I have to disagree.

It's most certainly not lack of skill, at least not skill at the MLS level. As several players noted throughout the year, Barrett's problems are entirely psychological.

He's in a bit of a tough position because he's likely only on the roster because he's American and he knows it. And knowing that can't be good for him mentally.

So, the one thing that gets him the job is probably also the one thing that's keeping him from doing it well. I think that's what we used to call irony.

ExiledRed
12-28-2009, 09:09 PM
I have to disagree.

Give me a break, he's crap. This psychological block is so much bullshit, if you ask me. In two years hes not gotten over this 'psychological problem' despite several opportunities to build his confidence. Case in point: the cracking goal he scored against Montreal at BMO. This should have been his 'breakout' moment, but then next game he was crap again, and the next and the next and so on. Its not psychological at all, what you've seen is what he is, and by my estimation that is a player who isnt skilled enough to justify his minutes, salary or contract.

He might be crap only because hes lost confidence and actually believes hes crap, if thats what you mean by the problem being 'psychological' but at the end of the day hes still crap on the field whether or not he has latent abilities that he cant quite seem to tap into. If he cant tap into those abilities at will, then they are irrelevant to any discussion on his value to this team.

Dirk Diggler
12-28-2009, 09:59 PM
As usual, I have to agree completely with Exiled. There are plenty of guys who can put on a good performance every now and again. That cannot be called skilled. Consistency falls somewhere within the equation as well.

prizby
12-28-2009, 10:10 PM
there's only one CHAD BARRETT...

Shakes McQueen
12-28-2009, 10:26 PM

This is pretty much where I am.

There isn't a single player on our current roster that I'm pulling for more than Barrett. I also think he put in some extremely good performances last season - at his best, he was an integral connection in our attack, while also not being the one taking the shots.

But at his worst, he directly cost us goals (usually by shanking them wide, or right at the keeper).

I think he'd operate best on our roster with a true #1 striker, to take that scoring pressure off of him. He was at his best when he didn't need to focus on scoring, and instead was able to focus on setting up others.

- Scott

Keyman
12-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Effort is put on a pedestal by sports fans. We revere players who "give it their all" and "leave everything on the pitch/ice/field," but effort is only meaningful if it produces something. Chad Barrett's effort produces very little. In a league where a team must ensure it makes efficient use of its money, a player such as Barrett is virtually worthless and a burden. And to say that he is simply unlucky, well, I think that's wrong too. His shortcomings have become habitual, I cringe when he has an opportunity, I almost expect him to fail. We don't have a player with bad luck, we have a bad player.

Shakes McQueen
12-28-2009, 10:53 PM
I think saying his effort produced "nothing" is having a selective memory. Barrett had a bunch of great performances where he was one of the driving forces behind our attack. There were games where it seemed like he was the only person on the pitch who was trying to create anything at all.

Effort aside, there was more bad than good with Barrett last season. But that isn't what this thread is about.

- Scott

Keyman
12-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Never said he produced nothing, just very little. And I don't care for people who try, only people who do. What he did pales in comparison to almost every other attacking player who has a permanent job. Those who tried, succeeded some of, but not enough of the time, are gone. Why is Barrett any different?

Anyway I'll exit this thread. I think we all want Barrett to succeed, we want everyone to succeed. To wish otherwise would be just odd. Yet we don't always get what we desire.

Yohan
12-28-2009, 11:06 PM
5 goals, 3 assists in league play i think 2 goals, 2 assists in NCC. no barrett. no Voyageurs Cup?

Bars92
12-29-2009, 12:59 AM
'mon the American Rooney. Gi' us a few goals. Get in there my son!!

ExiledRed
12-29-2009, 01:31 AM
5 goals, 3 assists in league play i think 2 goals, 2 assists in NCC. no barrett. no Voyageurs Cup?

That really depends who plays instead of him.

Sure if we played a ten man squad all season, we likely wouldnt have won the Canadian Championship.

Cashcleaner
12-29-2009, 01:49 AM
He's not good enough.

Agreed. The guy just isn't operating on the technical level we need him to be at and is physically sub-par.

He's not producing the results we need and there's little need to say anything else on the matter.

CretanBull
12-29-2009, 03:22 AM
Given that our team had absolutely no width and every one of our attacks came up the middle and that every team in the league knew that all they had to do defend against us was block the middle, I think that its impossible to evaluate any of our strikers. Lets see what they can do on a balanced team (and I'm hoping Mo recognizes his mistakes, or that Preki will for him to) where they get quality service and defenders can't cheat to the middle.

sweetlemon69
12-29-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm a fan. He should be deployed as an attacking mid tho, not a striker. He has more hustle in him and does create chances.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-29-2009, 08:56 AM
I'll support Chad next year, but there are also rumours that he was one of the 'bad apples' referenced by CC and others last year. All I care about is making the playoffs next year, and I really don't care who gets us there.

Davenport
12-29-2009, 09:08 AM
No thanks. He's bad news on and off the pitch.
Let's not waste any more time on him.

BuSaPuNk
12-29-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm frustrated by him alot as well. His finishing is terrible and his lone play up front is subpar. However when he was used on the wing it's like his game completely changed. He has a great cross, and his work effort and speed really brings some good chances off the wing. I hope Preki uses him on the wing with Brennan this year. That should be the bandaid for our wing problem if we can't bring someone in this offseason.

ensco
12-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Hard to say. Our midfield was so screwed up for most of the year.

Much as we all love(d) DeRo and Guevara, they were/are both terrible positional players. When Vitti was out there in MF too, it was almost comical. Whether it was Barrett, Gerba or OBW, nobody knew where to be to receive a ball.

I think this was JDG's problem too, he showed up and looked like he was in disbelief, ie "doesn't anyone out here know where they're supposed to be?"

So was Barrett's problem talent, formation or service? Who knows?

I'd give him minutes next year, but he has to earn the job as first choice striker. Same for Gerba (assuming he's still here, a big if).

GBV
12-29-2009, 10:17 AM
i'm still keeping the faith. hard not to root for a guy like that.
if it doesn't happen by, say, halfway through season, then i'm out.

Belfast_Boy
12-29-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't think we'll get anything more out of Chad. if you can live with a hard worker that doesn't have a scoring touch, but makes some good passes then he is ok.

if you're expecting great first touches and a lot of goals then you'll be disappointed. if he was that skilled he'd be playing somewhere across the pond.

his and this leagues limitations are obvious. we won't have players here at the pinacle of the game. if that's what you want then better order Setanta.

ManUtd4ever
12-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Barrett arguably played out of position much of last season on the wing and struggled. I noticed an improvement in his play over the last few games when he was paired up front with White in a 4-2-2 formation. I think he has the potential to score 10-15 goals in the MLS if motivated and utilized properly. In any case, I firmly believe that if there is a coach out there that can get the most out of Chad, Preki is it...

ExiledRed
12-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Barrett arguably played out of position much of last season on the wing and struggled. I noticed an improvement in his play over the last few games when he was paired up front with White in a 4-2-2 formation. I think he has the potential to score 10-15 goals in the MLS if motivated and utilized properly. In any case, I firmly believe that if there is a coach out there that can get the most out of Chad, Preki is it...

The general consensus is that he played better on the wing than up front.

Look, the guy was signed to a 4 year contract and high salary quite prematurely. This was a huge gamble, and Chad simply HAD to do well to justify a move like that. This was why he was given the minutes to the detriment of the other players, especially Dichio. His performance was terrible, and the gamble failed, and yet he was given chance after chance. Mo was depending on Chad, and Chad just wasn't up to the task.

Everything you just said about 10-15 goals and unlocking his true potential was said by many at the start of the last season, do we have to go through another season of this before people accept that hes not good enough? Will people still be saying this at the start of the next season if he screws up again?

Yeah I know, probably.

S_D
12-29-2009, 12:49 PM
The general consensus is that he played better on the wing than up front.

Look, the guy was signed to a 4 year contract and high salary quite prematurely. This was a huge gamble, and Chad simply HAD to do well to justify a move like that. This was why he was given the minutes to the detriment of the other players, especially Dichio. His performance was terrible, and the gamble failed, and yet he was given chance after chance. Mo was depending on Chad, and Chad just wasn't up to the task.

Everything you just said about 10-15 goals and unlocking his true potential was said by many at the start of the last season, do we have to go through another season of this before people accept that hes not good enough? Will people still be saying this at the start of the next season if he screws up again?

Yeah I know, probably.

They've been saying that since his time in Chicago. Mo screwed up paying so much for him out of the cap. Nobody else will take him, at least not at his current salary so we are stuck with him until the final 2 years where I HOPE it is a club option (if I remember it was a 2+2).

rocker
12-29-2009, 12:52 PM
ya, i'm not as focused on Barrett's contract... 4 years in MLS is really 2.... since the last 2 years are always team options. So basically barrett now has 1 season to prove himself or he's gonna get knocked down in the 3rd year for sure.

i mean, even Dichio and Robinson had their contracts knocked down... Barrett's is not guaranteed for 4 years. no way.

scooter
12-29-2009, 01:51 PM
i too have always been in his corner
but its time to produce this year and he would be a better wing man especially with his work rate and tackling skills
hopefully preki can turn him around

trane
12-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I am in between on this one. I do not see any reason to have any believe in Barrett as a striker, I think those who are still holding out hope are doing it simply due to a personal emotional attachment to the player. He does not have what instinct or the mind and pressence of a striker. However, I equally disagree with those who say he is useless, that he does not cotribute, are also wrong in my view. He is a good hardworking MLS calibre winger. NOT A STRIKER.

KdotOdot
12-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Chad Barrett is greatest player in the history of the MLS.

Stryker
12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Yup. He definetely played his best on the right wing.
He would travel all the way back to our own box to tackle and try to protect leads. That's alot of ground to cover. Right or wrong you have to admire his work ethic.

ExiledRed
12-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Lets talk about work ethic.

When I used to weld for a living, there were colleagues of mine who used to work their arses off all day to produce above and beyond what was expected of them.

Their production was high, but their quality was low, and often they would produce a mountain of shit that better welders would then have to spend more time fixing, than it took to make. The quality of the repaired items was more often than not merely 'satisfactory' and a lot of items had to be scrapped.

The admirable 'work ethic' became a drain on resources and productivity, as nothing is getting produced while stuff is being repaired, and scrapped production is an unnecessary and costly waste.

This kind of shit brings production lines to a standstill, and all because an inexperienced keener wanted to look good.

Unfortunately, my company would rate these kids higher than veteran workers who would always produce quality, because they werent connecting the high productivity with the excessive amount of defects.

In this situation. Dichio is the quality producing veteran, Barrett is the hardworking idiot who's causing chaos to the production line, and his backers are the company who would rather lay off the quality workers than the young 'hacks'

trane
12-29-2009, 03:23 PM
^ Hahahaha. Agreed.

Belfast_Boy
12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Chad Barrett is greatest player in the history of the MLS.

that's only because the greatest of all time Velez is gone.

GBV
12-29-2009, 08:01 PM
would be nice to know how much success some of chad's teammates would have if they had a chad-like work ethic.

Yohan
12-29-2009, 08:07 PM

When I used to weld for a living, there were colleagues of mine who used to work their arses off all day to produce above and beyond what was expected of them.

Their production was high, but their quality was low, and often they would produce a mountain of shit that better welders would then have to spend more time fixing, than it took to make. The quality of the repaired items was more often than not merely 'satisfactory' and a lot of items had to be scrapped.

The admirable 'work ethic' became a drain on resources and productivity, as nothing is getting produced while stuff is being repaired, and scrapped production is an unnecessary and costly waste.

This kind of shit brings production lines to a standstill, and all because an inexperienced keener wanted to look good.

Unfortunately, my company would rate these kids higher than veteran workers who would always produce quality, because they werent connecting the high productivity with the excessive amount of defects.

In this situation. Dichio is the quality producing veteran, Barrett is the hardworking idiot who's causing chaos to the production line, and his backers are the company who would rather lay off the quality workers than the young 'hacks'

it really speaks volumes of TFC when Barrett was one of the better offensive player. sure, Barrett wasn't flashy technically, but at least he made something happened through hustle, while a lot of his teammates look on like they are on a vacation (yes Guevara. I'm talking about you)

ExiledRed
12-29-2009, 08:29 PM
it really speaks volumes of TFC when Barrett was one of the better offensive player. sure, Barrett wasn't flashy technically, but at least he made something happened through hustle, while a lot of his teammates look on like they are on a vacation (yes Guevara. I'm talking about you)

He made something happen through hustle?

yes he made his leg cramp up.

What many of you call hustle, I call playing chaotically and out of formation. I suspect he runs around like speedy gonzales on crack because he doesnt quite comprehend what hes supposed to do.

Yohan
12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
He made something happen through hustle?

yes he made his leg cramp up.

What many of you call hustle, I call playing chaotically and out of formation. I suspect he runs around like speedy gonzales on crack because he doesnt quite comprehend what hes supposed to do.

is that Barrett's fault, or the manager's fault? come to think of it, entire TFC squad plays chaotically and out of formation

v00d00daddy
12-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Barrett's only redeeming quality that we can all agree on is that he works hard.

He hustles.

When you ask yourself what a guy brings to the table and the first (and only) thing that you can bring yourself to say is: Hustle......well guess what...he's just not very good.

Hustle is what all pro athletes should have. Some get away with not hustling all the time because they bring other things to the show.

Barrett HAS to hustle all game long. Otherwise he would be as effective as the ref out there.

It's all he has...which unfortunately, is just not enough.

It looks like we'll have to endure him for one more year. This time next year we'll be having the exact same discussion. (just like last year) And there will still be people talking about his potential to score 10-15 goals in MLS.

Whatever. Bring on the 4-5 goals out of 50-60 chances Chad.

v00d00daddy
12-29-2009, 10:24 PM
is that Barrett's fault, or the manager's fault? come to think of it, entire TFC squad plays chaotically and out of formation

It's Barrett's fault.

jazzy
12-29-2009, 10:30 PM

Very nice

jazzy
12-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Barrett's only redeeming quality that we can all agree on is that he works hard.

He hustles.

When you ask yourself what a guy brings to the table and the first (and only) thing that you can bring yourself to say is: Hustle......well guess what...he's just not very good.

Hustle is what all pro athletes should have. Some get away with not hustling all the time because they bring other things to the show.

Barrett HAS to hustle all game long. Otherwise he would be as effective as the ref out there.

Think of ourselves out there, when I play any sport I hustle, I SUCK, I can hustle all day long, I have NO TALENT, I can score if it accidently hits me in the head,....I love watching atheletes do what I can't, using SKILLS that I only dream of, which brings forth my totally biased vue of Barrett, I admire him, feel his pain, but It's very frustrating watching so MANY missed chances. "Bring on the 4-5 goals out of 50-60 chances Chad ."...................

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-29-2009, 10:57 PM

This.

trane
12-30-2009, 10:58 AM
To add on Barret if he learns to cross well consistently he would be a trully effective WINGER, with his work rate. But 10-15 goals, what makes anyone beleive this? Seriously, can someone explain this beleive logicaly.

Derko
12-30-2009, 11:26 AM

And perhaps Preki will use that to TFC's advantage.

Yohan
12-30-2009, 11:44 AM
To add on Barret if he learns to cross well consistently he would be a trully effective WINGER, with his work rate. But 10-15 goals, what makes anyone beleive this? Seriously, can someone explain this beleive logicaly.

10 goals during the season? I dunno. he had 9 in year 2. he had 5 this season, and about half of his games were played at wing. no matter how shitty you are, if you get enough service, you're bound to put away a few?

trane
12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
His problem is not service. He has plenty of opportunities. He cannot finish consitently. He had nine. So OK maybe he has 10, but why 10-15 consistenly? There is very little evidence of that. He needs better finishing ability.

Yohan
12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
His problem is not service. He has plenty of opportunities. He cannot finish consitently. He had nine. So OK maybe he has 10, but why 10-15 consistenly? There is very little evidence of that. He needs better finishing ability.

lol. i dont think anyone disagrees that barrett needs better finishing ability if he had ability to score 12 goals consistently in MLS though, he would be playing in Europe right now

trane
12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I am not sure that scoring 12 in the MLS gets you to Europe. Having the time and space to finish in the MLS is not as hard as in Euro leagues. He creates opportunities in the MLS that he would not in other league. But that is another conversation.

Again I think he is a fair winger for us, and if he learned to cross consistenly he would be more then fair as a winger.

Yohan
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I am not sure that scoring 12 in the MLS gets you to Europe. Having the time and space to finish in the MLS is not as hard as in Euro leagues. He creates opportunities in the MLS that he would not in other league. But that is another conversation.

Again I think he is a fair winger for us, and if he learned to cross consistenly he would be more then fair as a winger.

Nobody really thought Clint Dempsey would make it at EPL either. and I see a lot of similar skill set between Dempsey and Barrett, except Dempsey is more polished player. probably due to better coaching he received from Steve Nicol come to think of it, Dempsey is a bit of hothead too. lol With good coaching, I still do think Barrett has what it takes to succeed.

Bloor West FC
12-30-2009, 12:37 PM
I like Chad, he just needs to calm down. Stop getting us in penalty trouble and just score. YOU CAN DO IT CHAD :)

felipe
12-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Chad is the greatest.

trane
12-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Nobody really thought Clint Dempsey would make it at EPL either. and I see a lot of similar skill set between Dempsey and Barrett, except Dempsey is more polished player. probably due to better coaching he received from Steve Nicol come to think of it, Dempsey is a bit of hothead too. lol With good coaching, I still do think Barrett has what it takes to succeed.

I do not want for this too go on for ever, but I have to say I do not necessarily disgree with this either, HOWEVER, I just cannot see him developing into a GOOD striker. Winger, yes, maybe even defensive mid, just because of work rate, but striker I just do not see it anymore.

CretanBull
12-30-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't like Barrett as a winger...while his hustle is good for that position, he doesn't cross very well and he can't break down defenders 1 vs. 1....I think those are essential skills for a winger to have. I think if we stretch our attack wider and don't allow defenders to cheat to the middle there will be more room for him to opperate and that extra second or two might make the world of difference for him.

trane
12-30-2009, 04:36 PM
^ So you still think he may make it as a striker, if we have better wide play?

CretanBull
12-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Well, we all know that he has problems finishing. *Maybe* a little more time and space will help that problem...if it doesn't, I think he'll have a CF type roll to play. If he can't finish with more time and space, I hope he can atleast knock down balls and make short passes, flick-ons etc.

I don't think width will turn him into a 15 goal scorer, but I think as a CF he could score 7-8 and set up a few more. That might be the most we get out of him, which is still a pretty usefull player.

trane
12-30-2009, 05:26 PM
^ He seems to have the size/strengh to be a CF but I would have like a little bit more height.

CretanBull
12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
^Very true, but we follow a league of flawed players ;)

trane
12-30-2009, 06:06 PM
^ Too damn true.

S_D
12-30-2009, 08:17 PM
^ So you still think he may make it as a striker, if we have better wide play?

I don't think so. He can't score :D and lets be honest, his crossing is sub par.

If we look at him, he is a pretty good marker and tackler and his passing is decent. Add that to his workrate and I think he would be a pretty good central midfielder. Unfortunately those positions are taken, and I am not so sure his ego could take it even if he did move there. And last of all, does he have the soccer IQ to be a CM?

We saw last season he had a difficult time dealing when he got moved out to the wing.

If Barrett is going to stay in the MLS, he has to find himself, and the coaching staff need to help him. They need to recognize his strengths, and go with them, and Barrett needs to accept that perhaps a position elsewhere is a better fit.

ag futbol
12-30-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't like Barrett as a winger...while his hustle is good for that position, he doesn't cross very well and he can't break down defenders 1 vs. 1....I think those are essential skills for a winger to have. I think if we stretch our attack wider and don't allow defenders to cheat to the middle there will be more room for him to opperate and that extra second or two might make the world of difference for him.
^ yep! While i don't necessarily agree with him every being more than a career backup MLS striker, i definitely see more of a case for him working out at his natural position than converting to a wide player.

We badly need a guy who can take his man on more often out wide and send in a good cross.

TFC USA
12-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Chad Barrett is like Andrea Lombardo with better finishing quality, and without the straight hair.

romburgundy
12-31-2009, 12:54 AM
One more Year for Barrett. I think I'm getting soft in the off season too

Rocco
12-31-2009, 02:21 AM
Barrett is shit. don't have to read three pages to figure that out

Yagbod
12-31-2009, 02:26 AM
I agree, Barrett works hard.

So, I am looking for him to sub into the game in the 75th minute for a tired Gerba. I am envisioning a fitter Gerba and Obi up front to start most games. I doubt that Gerba will ever play a full 90, so Chad should come in to be a hero... or at least harass a few defenders.

I still see DeRo getting most of the goals, but Gerba and White should start.

Maybe Chad could pot a few as a sub.

e-karam
01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Still backing Barrett.

J .
01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I like Barrett coming off the bench, he needs to work on his crossing if he is to play wide, but he does have the pace to play there.

His positioning and pace got him many chances to score as a forward. The kid can play, but not finish.

I wont throw him under the bus yet, Preki may help his confidence in front of the net or help him learn the nuances of playing wide. Either way, he is a versatile backup coming off the bench providing pace at either position to attack slow MLS defenders.

rowan
01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
From Ives' latest article (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/01/mls-combine-preview-and-some-day-one-updates.html)...

MLS Drafts are always made a bit more entertaining by the moves of Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston, but this year could be different. Why? TFC does not have a first-round pick (yet) and is presently maxed out of its American player slots, so unless Toronto can deal away an American or two, it could be a quiet week for TFC (Yes, I know, this probably means TFC will be dealing Chad Barrett and/or some other Americans for a first-round pick). Stay tuned.

Salvation?

Oldtimer
01-09-2010, 12:57 PM
"Trader Mo' knows his stuff. If he can get a first 5 pick for him, there is a very good Canadian to be had (who American teams would have to spend an International slot on).

SilverSamurai
01-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm hopeful Barrett improves this year, but certainly don't think he should be playing as a solo striker. If anything maybe as the link b/w the mids and forwards, but DeRo pretty much does this already...
Maybe as a sub as has already been mentioned?

Davenport
01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
While we've got players like Barrett in the squad we'll never win a thing.

J .
01-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Barrett for Bunbury? I like it.