PDA

View Full Version : PGE Park Reno Plans -- Gonna Be FieldTurf!

James17930
12-24-2009, 09:50 PM
You'd think they'd have learned:

http://www.portlandmls2011.com/stadium/pge-park-renovation/

The stadium itself looks pretty good though.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-24-2009, 10:31 PM
It's a shame about the field turf. However, given the amount of use the stadium will get - 250+ events per year, plus college football - it's no surprise that real grass won't be installed. Of course, I can't imagine the field turf lasting very long under those circumstances either. I predict that the playing surface at PGE Park will quickly gain notoriety, much like how our faux field had its critics from the start.

The rest of the stadium does look nice, though. The atmosphere will be excellent at PGE, grass or no grass.

Brooker
12-24-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm excited about Portland. Stadium looks cool.

I'm also getting tired of all these stadiums that have roofs.

GIVE US ONE! LOUD!

james
12-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Its hard for MLS to move ahead on a world stage when new teams continue to add field turf.

james
12-25-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm excited about Portland. Stadium looks cool.

I'm also getting tired of all these stadiums that have roofs.

GIVE US ONE! LOUD!

Portland stadium is old that has been renovated tho, besides New York none of the new stadiums have roofs over the supporters end, only over the family sections. Which if they were to even add a roof over our family section it really wouldnt change are atmosphere much.

James Oliphant
12-25-2009, 12:10 AM
PGE Park is publicly-owned, but will not be used by the community at large. Their turf will stay in tact where ours did not under the 16 hours of use it got many days.

No one complains about Qwest Field's surface, do they? Same situation as PGE.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-25-2009, 12:21 AM
PGE Park is publicly-owned, but will not be used by the community at large. Their turf will stay in tact where ours did not under the 16 hours of use it got many days.

From the PGE Park reno link:

Preserve PGE Park’s ability to be a year round community center and host to more than 250 events annually, including Portland State Football and an array of youth sports and community based events.I doubt PGE Park will be used quite as much as ours, but 250+ days of use per year is a lot for any park, especially when gridiron football is factored into the equation.

ensco
12-25-2009, 08:18 AM
1) Grass is expensive. They may well be doing exactly what we did. Keep the costs as low as possible at first while you make sure you have a business, then spend on grass once you know the team will be successful.

2) Installing/maintaining a grass field is more expensive in the Pacific Northwest than it is here, because of the rain they get.

Shakes McQueen
12-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Yeah, the important thing is getting a stadium deal done. You can always renegotiate the arrangement later, like we did.

Unfortunately, for a young league still trying to reach profitability, you have to be able to promise things like extensive community use in some places, in order to get a stadium deal.

- Scott

Kaz
12-25-2009, 09:52 AM
it's ashame hopefully they make sure the turf is good, Like what they use occasionally in lower leagues in Europe, and they have a good system to remove the lines, like in Seattle.

I don't see real grass in any stadium that is having community use for a expansion franchise.

I am impressed with how much renovation is going on though, it should look good was looking at thing with Google Maps and Street view.. they are going to have a decent base for their team.

James Oliphant
12-25-2009, 10:42 AM
From the PGE Park reno link:
I doubt PGE Park will be used quite as much as ours, but 250+ days of use per year is a lot for any park, especially when gridiron football is factored into the equation.

It's not the same thing though...ours was open for rental to anyone. Theirs is not. And those 250 days of use aren't all used. It's just that it's open/available for 250 days (note the word "ability"...it's able to host that many events), likely from mid-March until mid-November. The other 115 are in the winter months when it's used by no one.

Redcoe15
12-25-2009, 12:07 PM
The Timbers have been playing on a plastic pitch for a long time now. So I don't think this will bother the locals out there in the slightest.

rocker
12-25-2009, 12:14 PM
maybe in the future they can install the system TFC is installing. I keep hearing how hard it is to grow grass in that environment (the stadium is also well below ground level already, so they commented on a water table issue). But with the system TFC has, I'm sure they could suck out water at will and ensure aeration.

Dirk Diggler
12-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Nah ... there are lots of complaints regarding the field at Qwest Field.

Brooker
12-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Portland stadium is old that has been renovated tho, besides New York none of the new stadiums have roofs over the supporters end, only over the family sections. Which if they were to even add a roof over our family section it really wouldnt change are atmosphere much.

I see your point but if you look straight up is that not a roof over this supporters end? http://www.portlandmls2011.com/2009/12/south-view/

if just the east side got a roof... that would up the volume like mad. i'd want to leave 112 and join 110, they'd be LOUD.

jimiv
12-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Nice stadium, where are the floodlights?

rocker
12-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Nice stadium, where are the floodlights?

currently, the lights are on top of the old roof and in the outfield, where they are gonna build that new stand.

james
01-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I see your point but if you look straight up is that not a roof over this supporters end? http://www.portlandmls2011.com/2009/12/south-view/

if just the east side got a roof... that would up the volume like mad. i'd want to leave 112 and join 110, they'd be LOUD.

ya i know Portland has a roof over the supporters section, my point was that they do have a roof because the stadium isnt new, its an old stadium being renovated.

You siad you are sick of seeing all these new stadiums in MLS with roofs but my point was that NEW stadiums in MLS are all most always built with no roofs over the stands behind the nets where the supporters sections are. So really most teams dont got roofs where we want a roof oover our supporters section. We are just like 90% of the other teams in MLS, supporters section=no roof.

Parkdale
01-02-2010, 08:10 AM
the moral of the story with field turf:

It's not that bad when it's new, but once it's been stamped flat, there is no fixing it. Ours was flat in the 2nd season.

Toronto Ruffrider
01-02-2010, 08:34 AM
the moral of the story with field turf:

It's not that bad when it's new, but once it's been stamped flat, there is no fixing it. Ours was flat in the 2nd season.

This is true, but at BMO, players were complaining about it from the get-go. The image of BMO Field's turf was never good, and the product degraded quickly.

james
01-02-2010, 05:29 PM
can anyone explain to me tho why Seattle can get NFL gridlines off the turf for Sounder games but New York ( at old Giant Stadium), New England and Houston cant get gridlines off the field???? Just wonderring if PGE park will ever have gridlines on the turf since they said they will host some football games there.

Nestease
01-02-2010, 06:15 PM
can anyone explain to me tho why Seattle can get NFL gridlines off the turf for Sounder games but New York ( at old Giant Stadium), New England and Houston cant get gridlines off the field???? Just wonderring if PGE park will ever have gridlines on the turf since they said they will host some football games there.

Giants Stadium held 2 NFL teams.

james
01-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Giants Stadium held 2 NFL teams.

thats true, but what about New England and Houston who only got 1 Football team playing?

keem-o-sabi
01-03-2010, 10:46 AM
thats true, but what about New England and Houston who only got 1 Football team playing?

Seattle's owners didn't want the lines on there, they said at one point during the season it takes away from the aesthetic for soccer matches. NY, the team doesn't own the stadium (it just rented it, so the NJ Sports Authority wasn't going to do anything), and Houston is grass, that would be pretty hard to wash out the lines right away (IMO) and Boston...well Kraft is just cheap from what I understand.

james
01-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Seattle's owners didn't want the lines on there, they said at one point during the season it takes away from the aesthetic for soccer matches. NY, the team doesn't own the stadium (it just rented it, so the NJ Sports Authority wasn't going to do anything), and Houston is grass, that would be pretty hard to wash out the lines right away (IMO) and Boston...well Kraft is just cheap from what I understand.

so basicly any team could get the lines off if they really wanted to!

With only New England, and Houston the last 2 teams now with NFL gridlines come fall time , they should give them a time period (say 2 years from now) to either build a new stadium or else get the dam lines off every game or else you will be penalized a fine or forced to move the franchise else where or something. Those gridlines really take away from MLS creadability. And its brutal to watch on TV.