PDA

View Full Version : Abdus Ibrahim

Damien
06-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Anyone get the alert?

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-13-2008, 03:11 PM
No, but I just saw a posting about this. Abdus Ibrahim to TFC for a 2010 draft pick.

Damien
06-13-2008, 03:28 PM
http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t104&player=ibrahim_a&playerId=ibr050576&statType=current

http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/imgs/bios/photos/ibrahim_a_bio.jpg
name: Abdus Ibrahim
position:F
height: 6-0 weight:153
Birthdate: August 15, 1991
Hometown: Richfield, MI

Professional Experience

2007: This is his first year as a professional. When selected, was the second-youngest player ever to be selected in an MLS SuperDraft, following 14-year old Freddy Adu in 2004.

International

2008: Appeared in all but one game for the U.S. U-20's at the Campos Verde International Tournament in Beja, Portugal.
2007: Appeared for the U.S. in all four matches at U-17 FIFA World Cup in South Korea, which included current FCD teammates Brek Shea and Josh Lambo…In Dec. 2007 was called up to U.S. U-20 camp in Argentina, where he played all three games against Argentina, River Plate, Uruguay.
2006: Joined U.S. Soccer's U-17 Residency Program in 2006.

Damien
06-13-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/06/13/tfc_ibrahim_signing/

Toronto FC sign Ibrahim from FC Dallas

Toronto FC announced the signing of forward Abdus "Ibee" Ibrahim from FC Dallas. In exchange, Dallas receives a conditional draft pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft.

Ibrahim, 16, was the second youngest player ever to be selected in an MLS Superdraft, following 14-year old Freddy Adu in 2004. Ibrahim was chosen in the 2nd Round (14th overall) in 2007.

"He's a tremendous young talent," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "Ibee's got loads of potential and he could possibly be a major player for Toronto FC in years to come. He's been in Dallas for a year and a bit, and we're very fortunate to get a deal done. It's great to add a young talent to your squad, especially one that's Generation Adidas."

Ibrahim was a past member of U.S. Soccer's U-17 Residency Program in 2006. The forward was also a member of the U.S. U-17 FIFA World Cup team that played in South Korea in 2007 where he appeared in all four matches. Later that year he was called up to the U.S. U-20 camp held in Argentina where he featured in all three games against Argentina, River Plate and Uruguay.

Shaughno
06-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Glad to see we're looking to the future now that we've got a half decent seniour squad.

Full marks on this signing Mo.

nimamalek
06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
so Dallas basically gives away a young talent with a lot of promise for the chance to possibly draft another young talent in the future? i dont see the sense in this trade from Dallas' point of view.

Sab0tage
06-13-2008, 03:47 PM
so Dallas basically gives away a young talent with a lot of promise for the chance to possibly draft another young talent in the future? i dont see the sense in this trade from Dallas' point of view. It's not like it matters to us.

Seems like a good signing of for us. He's really young, so hopefully in a few years time he'll be a solid player. Has anyone ever seen any footage of him playing?

Corpand
06-13-2008, 03:51 PM
one of the best signings we've made. You'll see. I just think all this worked out because he had family issues and his family is in Toronto, it might not be a permanent move but only short term while all his issues are figured out. Hopefully im wrong.

rocker
so Dallas basically gives away a young talent with a lot of promise for the chance to possibly draft another young talent in the future? i dont see the sense in this trade from Dallas' point of view.

from what I read in another thread, he has some family problems.
sounds like he has family around toronto. So the move is a courtesy by Dallas.

Broadview

Neither do I. GA kids don't count against the cap, so it's not a money thing. Unless they actually don't have any money.

Maybe he didn't like the coach? Homesick or something? Geez, the kid's what, 17?

Can they stick him on the academy team as a ringer?

Northern Soul
06-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Interesting. I guess we'll wait and see in a few years how this pans out.

VPjr
06-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Yes, this is definitely a family related move. He wanted to be closer to his family and he had not actively been with FCD for awhile.

Kevvv
06-13-2008, 04:19 PM
From the Dallas profile:

reads the Quran, the books the Muslim religion…got his drivers license in Jan. 2008…listens to rap, listing Lil' Wayne, TI, and Snoop Dogg as his favorites…favorite show is Prison Break…goes by the nickname "Ibee".

The Muslim religion book, in case you're not familiar with it... :rolleyes:

Mojo
06-13-2008, 04:31 PM
6 feet, 153 pounds?

He will snap like a twig!

jloome
06-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Great wheels apparently, but not a great finisher yet. Then again, he's a kid. If we've still got him in three years he could be pumping in 20 a year...or pumping in 20 litres at the Scarborough gas-n-go. Pretty good move, I'd say.

CretanBull
06-13-2008, 04:55 PM
I think if I was a Muslim, I'd rather live in Toronto than in Texas. Just sayin'....

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-13-2008, 05:26 PM
I think if I was a Muslim, I'd rather live in Toronto than in Texas. Just sayin'....

That was my knee jerk reaction too, but a little presumptuous on our parts to assume something like that. For all we know, there’s a large and active Muslim community in Dallas.

Sounds like a family issue. Though, if I understand correctly he’s not actually from Toronto.

rocker
06-13-2008, 05:33 PM
one of the draft reports said he signed a $100K a year GA contract last year that goes for a number of seasons. pretty sweet for a teen.

ag futbol
06-13-2008, 05:48 PM
That was my knee jerk reaction too, but a little presumptuous on our parts to assume something like that. For all we know, there’s a large and active Muslim community in Dallas.

Sounds like a family issue. Though, if I understand correctly he’s not actually from Toronto.
Yep strange but true. Even in a place like texas we assume is filled with conservatives, most of the cities are more liberal.

Anyway, back to soccer. I think this is an awsome move. There's probably a reason why they signed this kid so early. He's not even close to reaching his potential yet.

Plus he's young, we could use a little more youth on the roster.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Yep strange but true. Even in a place like texas we assume is filled with conservatives, most of the cities are more liberal.

Anyway, back to soccer. I think this is an awsome move. There's probably a reason why they signed this kid so early. He's not even close to reaching his potential yet.

Plus he's young, we could use a little more youth on the roster.

Mos got an eye for the youth, dont forget he did draft Josee

CretanBull
06-13-2008, 05:50 PM

I didn't mean to imply that he wanted to leave Texas because he's a Muslim or anything like that, I just meant if I had to pick Toronto or Dallas I'd pick Toronto. There are problems, racism and ignorance everywhere including Toronto but things are better here than they are down there...not that he would be living in fear or anything in Texas.

He's not from Toronto, he was born in Ethiopia and moved to Minnesota with his parents when he was a young kid (I think 5?). He has extended family in Toronto - aunts, uncles, cousins etc. various reports have said that he wanted to come here for a 'family reason' but I haven't read any speculation about what that might be. An article in Dallas a few weeks ago said something like "Abdus is in Toronto training and the smart money says that he won't be comming back". He's still an American national and will play for their team so I don't think it has anything to do with America or any sort of problem down there.

Cambridge_Red
06-13-2008, 05:57 PM
He probably just needs family, hes only a young lad.

Hopefully he can work out for us. Someone mentioned academy I like this idea, why not get him some playing time :)

rocker
06-13-2008, 06:00 PM
i thought a guy with a pro contract couldn't play on the academy team because it might jeopardize the other boys' NCAA eligibility.
so we'll probably only see him on the reserve team or senior team in friendlies or whatever.

Phil
06-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Texas is not a nice place. I used to do a lot of road biking and was a bit of a fan of Lance... the stories about how passing cars would yell out homophobic things and try and clip him with mirrors and whatnot make me not want to visit that place.

However, I am sure that there are some very nice people in that state so maybe one day I will drop by and boo thier team.

Glad to have a young prospect like this on board.

Batman
06-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Is this the Ibrahim that was coming to Toronto in the preseason but had visa problems?

rocker
06-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Is this the Ibrahim that was coming to Toronto in the preseason but had visa problems?

nope

CretanBull
06-13-2008, 06:39 PM

Nope, different guy...although they had similar first names too..Abdus and the other one was Abbe. Abbe was from Togo and still a citizen there, that's why he had visa issues. Abdus was born in Ethiopia, but moved to and became a citizen of America as a young kid - no visa issues with Americans in Canada.

Mojo
06-13-2008, 07:22 PM
If he's such a young and upcoming talent, do you think Dallas got rid of him expecting him to be off to Europe ASAP?

rocker
06-13-2008, 08:12 PM
If he's such a young and upcoming talent, do you think Dallas got rid of him expecting him to be off to Europe ASAP?

nahh.. he's signed to generation adidas for a number of seasons. if he goes anywhere MLS gets a transfer fee.. So they'd be throwing away a transfer fee. I think it's totally the kid's request due to the rumoured family issues.

DigzTFC!
06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Lombardo should start looking for another team. I think we'll see a series of moves in the next year at forward and I think it spells the beginning of the end for this guy. He's still young but he needs games. Maybe we can loan him out to the impact who have problems scoring goals, except Placentino's blast tonight.

Cambridge_Red
06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
I agree Digz as much as I love to see the huff and puff of Lombardo it seems like we need some more skill and potency up front. I really do believe Lombardo would be better suited in a different position.

rocker
06-13-2008, 08:53 PM
what about Lombardo as a midfielder. I haven't seen any scoring skill with him, but I have seen good passing/crossing ability.

S_D
06-13-2008, 09:01 PM
According to American Soccer Reader

It was for a first or second round draft pick in 2010 + 50% of any transfer fee if sold....Seems a bit expensive.

http://americansoccerreader.com/2008/06/13/adbus-ibrahim-traded-to-toronto/

It does sound like Lombardo's days are numbered. BBTB wondered if he would make a better winger a while ago since he was pretty decent at crossing the ball. He may have to start looking at something like that if he can't finish.

DigzTFC!
06-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Well considering Ibrahim was taken in second round, us compensating a first round selection for him seems a bit far fetched. That is of course his stock hasn't risen since he joined Dallas. This could be the case considering he's young and Phalen started yesterday and was given away for very little return. I'm guessing it will be based on appearances as part of the condition, which you can guarantee we won't meet.

Furthermore, I like that Mo put the conditional draft pick in 2010 even with two picks this year in the first round (2009). I think he's planning on scooping up that prime Canadian talent (O'Brian White & Dejan Jakovic all Hermann trophy list candidates in their final two years). Plus, we have to remember that we have three moves left:

1) Get rid of Cunny
2) Get a DP Stiker
3) Trade McBride's rights

Two of these three moves could render draft picks for us. This could be a huge draft for TFC in filling the need for Canadians and stockpile offensive talent. Looking at the big picture, it seems this will be the last year for Dichio.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-13-2008, 09:52 PM
All very good analysis
Sadly i think its safe to say its the last year for Dichio, im sure he knows it too.
I do hope (and am certain) that he will remain within the organization

Ossington Mental Youth
06-13-2008, 09:53 PM
It was for a first or second round draft pick in 2010 + 50% of any transfer fee if sold....Seems a bit expensive.

I would assume that its a sign that everyone involved has high hopes for him.
Ill reiterate that Mo pulled Josee...

noochie
06-13-2008, 09:53 PM
According to American Soccer Reader

Certainly not if he turns out to be another Jozy or Freddy ;) Well worth it I'd say.

Nuvinho
06-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I agree Digz as much as I love to see the huff and puff of Lombardo it seems like we need some more skill and potency up front. I really do believe Lombardo would be better suited in a different position.

Make him a defender, he has the height for it.....just needs the skill.........hahaha!!!

DigzTFC!
06-13-2008, 10:38 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=546607&cc=5901

FC Dallas will acquire Toronto's first-round selection in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft if Ibrahim plays in 10 or more 2009 MLS regular season games, or, if he is sold, loaned or traded to another team before the 2010 SuperDraft.

If none of the conditions are met, Dallas will receive Toronto's second-round selection in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft. In addition, Dallas will receive 50 percent of any transfer fee if Ibrahim is transferred from an MLS club to one overseas.

joel
06-13-2008, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't give mo a lot of credit on this one, seems like he was here anyway and wanted to work a deal to stay here for his family reasons. Kinda got handed to them. Guess we'll see how it works out.

Brooker
06-14-2008, 04:21 AM
All very good analysis
Sadly i think its safe to say its the last year for Dichio, im sure he knows it too.

why?

last year as a starter i can imagine but i think he's got more than a few games left in him.

anyways... nice to see we're getting youth! i hope this kid works out and sticks around.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-14-2008, 04:51 AM
why?

last year as a starter i can imagine but i think he's got more than a few games left in him.

anyways... nice to see we're getting youth! i hope this kid works out and sticks around.

33, regularly injured.
Got a soccer school and we need to make room.
Im sure an amicable agreement will come to terms.

ensco
06-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Interesting trade structure.

This tells me Dallas needed a lot of "chump" insurance (ie they needed to be sure they wouldn't look like chumps in a couple of years).

I think it's unlikely he'll play 10 MLS games as an 18 year old, but if he does, he'll have been worth the first rounder!

I think the real hard bargaining was around the splitting of the transfer fee.

pele
06-17-2008, 04:32 PM
http://www.3rddegree.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/ibbe_ak.jpg

jloome
06-17-2008, 04:36 PM
All very good analysis
I do hope (and am certain) that he will remain within the organization

Why, oh why, does everyone keep saying this? He has a great strike rate, is off-and-on injured, yes, but then so are most players his age. Why would we want to get rid of a guy who scores 1-in-2 (and has a 1.00 shooting record this year, which is unheard of), holds up the ball, links up play, inspires the team and the crowd....

Just doensn't make sense to me to assume this. There are lots of target forwards who've played longer than Dichio has.

TFC07
06-17-2008, 04:42 PM
to all of u that wanna know ..Ibrahim those have family in toronto and loves the city of toronto

Do you know him personally?

Corpand
06-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Pele is Big Bruva remixed!

Ossington Mental Youth
06-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Why, oh why, does everyone keep saying this? He has a great strike rate, is off-and-on injured, yes, but then so are most players his age. Why would we want to get rid of a guy who scores 1-in-2 (and has a 1.00 shooting record this year, which is unheard of), holds up the ball, links up play, inspires the team and the crowd....

Just doensn't make sense to me to assume this. There are lots of target forwards who've played longer than Dichio has.

Well outside of having a fantastic season this season, look his season last year... he was injured for a significant part and scored 4 goals (or was it 6?) either way it wasnt a stupendous amount...

Perhaps he wants to go out on a high?

I dont have anything against the guy, i think hes great and alot of fun to watch as well as an asset to the team but if he feels its time to finish and we need ot make room for more/better players why fight it? I dont think its that out of order to think that he might put up his shoes after this season, especially with younger up and comers on the go.

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Mo is not intending to play this kid the amount of games to lose a first rounder next year. The 50% thing is wierd but won't hurt us that bad. Sounds like a pity move that may or may not work out. Hope to see him start 2010, though. Alongside our DP.:)

MUFC_Niagara
06-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I met him yesterday....nice kid....looking forward to playing here. Told him we'd make a song for him once he starts scoring goals. He won't be playing with the academy, he'll be with the reserves, or so i was told, and he's looking to break into the first team sooner rather than later