PDA

View Full Version : Does no CBA mean no signings?

jloome
12-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Is that why we're not seeing significant movement yet around the league? Is the prospect of a strike going to mean very little movement for the next month or so.

I've already yapped about this in an article on RedNation Online, but given the interest here in seeing a new defender and striker, I'm wondering what people think the impact might be on us getting a complete roster together.

flatpicker
12-22-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure if that's the reason or not.

But I would be seriously shocked if a new CBA was not sorted out in time.
Everyone involved knows how crippling this would be to the league and livelihood of players.
It would take a collective effort in stupidity to allow a strike to take place.

Boris
12-22-2009, 06:32 PM
the cba is still in effect until January 31.

If anything players are waiting for the new CBA to make any deals

jloome
12-22-2009, 06:50 PM
the cba is still in effect until January 31.

If anything players are waiting for the new CBA to make any deals

But that essentially means very few renegotiating deals or being willing to move on new contracts until basically pre-season is underway.

Does not bode well.

Boris
12-22-2009, 06:55 PM
yeah...
i can tell you that both sides arent giving much info about this.

Hitcho
12-22-2009, 10:12 PM
But that essentially means very few renegotiating deals or being willing to move on new contracts until basically pre-season is underway.

Does not bode well.

Or, a bunch of stuff is thrashed out in principle and once any new CBA is signed, there's a flurry of completions and insta-trades.

A bit like getting the shits after being constipated for a week.

Rudi
12-22-2009, 10:30 PM
It's still early, and a lot of players' contracts don't expire until Dec. 31.

Even so, MLS signed three new Colombians yesterday, plus Landycakes' four year deal and the contract offer to Stuart Holden.

I think caution is being used, but some deals are still being done.

Oldtimer
12-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Player's agents have been telling them to hold off until the new CBA is signed. If the cap is raised significantly, it could result in higher salaries, all around.

invictusTFC
12-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Relax... I doubt there will be any strike, that would be suicide for both the players and the league... I think that the league has no choice but to raise the cap (doubling it at least). How many young talented North American players do they lose to mickey mouse leagues like the Norwegian league because of salary! They're trying to grow this league, hence expansion, the next step is to increase the cap so that the clubs can compete with similar caliber leagues around the world for players.

H Bomb
12-23-2009, 09:32 AM
I agree that there probably wont be a strike but I think this is a good point. Why would you sign on now when there could be a noticeable raise in wages and contract control.

jloome
12-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I agree that there probably wont be a strike but I think this is a good point. Why would you sign on now when there could be a noticeable raise in wages and contract control.

Again, either scenario means we're not going to have a cohesive team if they stick with the usual start to the schedule, because pre-season will be severely limited.

Beach_Red
12-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Again, either scenario means we're not going to have a cohesive team if they stick with the usual start to the schedule, because pre-season will be severely limited.

Yeah but this way it wouldn't just be us, it would be everyone ;).

Actually, this is very annoying because it finally looked like TFC was getting things together. We all expected the new coach to be signed next February, didn't we?