PDA

View Full Version : Robbo: Catching up with some of my old managers as I plan ahead

Oldtimer
12-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Catching up with some of my old managers as I plan ahead

WELL it’s been a pretty quiet week as the season in North America is over, but things are always going on in the background.

Being back in the UK I’ve been able to catch up with my last four managers.
It’s been great to talk to them all and ask their advice and opinions, as I totally respect all of them.

I want to go into the business at some stage and that’s why I’m like a sponge at the moment, soaking in all the information that they give me. Throughout my career I’ve had some top managers but I’ve also had some bad ones too. Each individual has their own style and sometimes you do wonder how some people are in the game! But it’s all about opinions.

It was also good to catch up with my agent before he flew back to America to sort some business out.

http://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/82635/catching-up-with-some-of-my-old-managers-as-i-plan-ahead.aspx

koryo
12-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Do you reckon Robbo's not coming back? I know there's enough speculation on the boards in general so I'm just asking for an opinion.

TFC_Junky
12-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks oldtimer. Always a decent read from Robo!

rocker
12-21-2009, 08:58 AM
what business is his agent taking care of in America?

TFC_Junky
12-21-2009, 09:03 AM
most likely contract negotiations. didn't he sign a one year extention, at a lower salary, last season?

Guajiro
12-21-2009, 09:06 AM
http://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/82635/catching-up-with-some-of-my-old-managers-as-i-plan-ahead.aspx

Also interesting was this tidbit: "Another incident at that match involved James Beattie and Tony Pulis. An investigation goes on but arguments happen all the time in dressing rooms, believe me, and I will tell you about a few when the time is right."

I want to hear it now!!! When will the time be right?

Broadview
12-21-2009, 09:26 AM
"Man United looked brilliant against West Ham - albeit with an injury crisis at the back. Michael Carrick looked so comfortable there and that was his first ever game there. I always believe that a defensive midfield player can play there no problems at all."

Well that's an interesting thing for Robbo to mention.

Oldtimer
12-21-2009, 09:59 AM
If Robbo goes to Man Utd, more power to him!

I suspect that it's more likely a DM looking at the team's style of play.

Hitcho
12-21-2009, 10:16 AM
^^ I think he was suggesting that Robbo might be a CB for TFC next season, like Carrick was for the mancs...

Detroit_TFC
12-21-2009, 11:24 AM
I assume that means his agent was going to NYC to sort out contract issues at the league office.

Parkdale
12-21-2009, 11:26 AM
...before he flew back to America to sort some business out.

oh good. He's coming back to give me my jersey that I won in a bet with him.

wzhxvy
12-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Sounds like he wants to come back to me....

Roogsy
12-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Also interesting was this tidbit: "Another incident at that match involved James Beattie and Tony Pulis. An investigation goes on but arguments happen all the time in dressing rooms, believe me, and I will tell you about a few when the time is right."

I want to hear it now!!! When will the time be right?

LOL!

This sounds like Rohan Ricketts and John Carver who said they'd let us in on the goings on at TFC when the time was right, but never did. I suppose even after you leave, a player feels that the goings on in the locker room shouldn't be revealed. I wouldn't hold my breath on Robbo divulging anything, publicly at least. If you get a chance to take him out for beers, he might be willing to talk. :lol:

trane
12-21-2009, 11:35 AM
"Man United looked brilliant against West Ham - albeit with an injury crisis at the back. Michael Carrick looked so comfortable there and that was his first ever game there. I always believe that a defensive midfield player can play there no problems at all."

Well that's an interesting thing for Robbo to mention.

I understand this thought, but I disagree, a CB needs to be more physical then a DM would be and even could be.

jloome
12-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Generally, yeah. Certainly, most of the midfielders I've seen pushed back have been smaller. There are exceptions, though, like Houston's Geoff Cameron.

God, I want that guy on our team. We'll never get him before he goes to Europe, but damn, the skills, the intensity. Awesome player.

Kilgore Trout
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM
I wonder what Robbo would say about Man Utd's performance against Fulham...

GTA_WOLF
12-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Anybody hearing a rumour that Christian Dailly might be coming to TFC?

TFC_Junky
12-21-2009, 03:48 PM
^^^ oh please no...

maninb
12-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Anybody hearing a rumour that Christian Dailly might be coming to TFC?

I surely hope that was in jest....just what we need a 37 year old CB.....who's not even very big....and slow as Garcia....

GTA_WOLF
12-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Not in jest....comes from someone who knows his family in Dundee.

mlsintoronto
12-21-2009, 07:05 PM
robbo's agent lives in America... so he had the meeting, to sort things out, before the agent returned to America.

Next time I see Robbo I shall school him on ambiguous language and his need for an editor.

kelzag
12-21-2009, 07:20 PM
^^ So you're telling us he's returning? Interesting.

Redpunkfiddle
12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
robbo's agent lives in America... so he had the meeting, to sort things out, before the agent returned to America.

Next time I see Robbo I shall school him on ambiguous language and his need for an editor.

^^ So you're telling us he's returning? Interesting.

I would define Paul's answer as ambiguous.

Things have been sorted. Which way, we don't know.

ensco
12-21-2009, 09:19 PM
mlsintoronto has a ton of respect for the players. He lays low when it's bad news. He wouldn't have posted that unless Robbo is staying here.

H Bomb
12-21-2009, 09:22 PM
here we go.

Now all we need is an unsourced "insider" to tell us all what's really happening.

Who cares. I love Robbo, and do not care if he comes back. I dont care if Dero comes back. It's sports, players come and go, then new players play instead.

ua-kozak_TFC
12-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Robbo as a writter... is a decent footballer.
man i am an immigrant but I bet i could do better... His thought process is so random. did he even proof read it?? Anyway...

kelzag
12-22-2009, 08:15 AM
I would define Paul's answer as ambiguous.

Things have been sorted. Which way, we don't know.

I agree Paul's answer was ambiguous. I guess I should have added a rolling eyes emoticon.

Things are being sorted, which is also why I found it interesting that Paul commented how he did, but then again nothing surprises me anymore.

How's that for ambiguous?

Broadview
12-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Robbo as a writter... is a decent footballer.
man i am an immigrant but I bet i could do better... His thought process is so random. did he even proof read it?? Anyway...

I find he writes in a conversational tone, which looks awkward sometimes when you see it written down. But when we've seen him in broadcasting mode on The Score, he comes off as very well spoken and knowlegable. This is the Robbo I project in my minds eye when reading these County Times items of his.