One year loan.
Gee this guy won't make Wynne look like a fool or anything. :shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2oBaTJ7me0

TFC07
12-19-2009, 02:14 PM
One year loan.
Gee this guy won't make Wynne look like a fool or anything. :shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2oBaTJ7me0

I believe TFC were interested of signing him last year, but I think DC United already used one of their discovery picks on him.

EDIT:

Here's the thread: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11520

As for Wynne, he'll (just like rest of TFC players) would just foul the kid all the time while bitching at ref....while the fans just boo and claim the kid is diving...lol

rocker
12-19-2009, 02:22 PM
good ball skills, but looks like a ball hog.

i wonder what he's costing. DC has had some big failures recently with internationals.

Inklink
12-19-2009, 02:31 PM
All he has is stepovers ;)

Keegan
12-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Oh the classic "this guy is UNREAL" highlight video. I said it in another thread but there is honestly not one standout ES player imo. They play well as a team in a home ground where bags of piss are thrown.

Anyone watch the Canada El Salvador gold cup game? That was a full strength ES team in the middle of the hex and they hardly touched the ball. Remember Alfredo Pacheco? He is one of the ES stars and he flopped HARD in MLS

FluSH
12-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I've been watching El Salvador all my life... Castillo is badass... will he make it in the more physical MLS side... I hope so... but it will largely depend on the coaching and whether or not he can adapt to the game.

Also, Keegan I would say Montes the GK could play as backup keeper in any MLS team if not as starter in some...

Yohan
12-19-2009, 02:54 PM
and the latin america experiment at DCU continues, with varied success rate

[NBF]
12-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Easy on the ES internationals. No good internationals for El Salvador? What about Arturo Alvarez? Isn't he one of the best left wingers in the MLS?

As far as the Alfredo Pacheco, so called flop, remember that the entire team flopped, not just him. He was on loan with NYRB and he was only there for half the season.

:oAs for the bags of piss.....too bad they didnt throw them on the pitch to deflect the ball into the net, that would have made for the greatest highlight ever:rolleyes:!

FluSH
12-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Good call on Alvarez... I would take him on our roster any day...

Yohan
12-19-2009, 03:08 PM
;831578']Easy on the ES internationals. No good internationals for El Salvador? What about Arturo Alvarez? Isn't he one of the best left wingers in the MLS?

he's like more skilled and faster andy welsh. helluva ball hog to.

he's pretty much american. lived in US all his life. only connection he has with ES is his ancestry. so a yank playing for ES

not saying i have anything against that, but he's not a production of ES program

FluSH
12-19-2009, 03:14 PM
^^^
He still plays for the ES squad... which is what Keegan was referring to. Ancestry makes it sound like his great grand parents where from the El Salvador... He's a 1st Generation American of ES decent...

ag futbol
12-20-2009, 10:35 AM
As i posted in the other thread, ES beat USA at home in WCQ's and lost 2-1 away. Castillo scored in both games and consistantly made the USA backline look flawed. That backline included several standout MLS players (better than the ones he will face in a given week). I could care less about what happened in the Gold cup.

If you have skill to beat the defender with regularity and get in a cross or make a play then you should do it. Canada (in the development of our players) could stand to benefit from more of a "me first" mentality than we have currently. Dribbling is just a means to get to an ends. IF the end results of all his stepovers is that he advances the ball down the field or makes a play then he should be encouraged to do it.

If him attacking defenders is more potent than spreading the ball around or deferring to teammates, then it's the right move.

FluSH
12-20-2009, 12:36 PM
As i posted in the other thread, ES beat USA at home in WCQ's and lost 2-1 away. Castillo scored in both games and consistantly made the USA backline look flawed. That backline included several standout MLS players (better than the ones he will face in a given week). I could care less about what happened in the Gold cup.

If you have skill to beat the defender with regularity and get in a cross or make a play then you should do it. Canada (in the development of our players) could stand to benefit from more of a "me first" mentality than we have currently. Dribbling is just a means to get to an ends. IF the end results of all his stepovers is that he advances the ball down the field or makes a play then he should be encouraged to do it.

If him attacking defenders is more potent than spreading the ball around or deferring to teammates, then it's the right move.

^
I do have to say not to many people care about the Gold Cup... specially during WQC's

Roogsy
12-20-2009, 02:22 PM
and the latin america experiment at DCU continues, with varied success rate

Varied success?

Who has more MLS Cups than DC United? The last couple of years have been difficult for DC true...but that has more to do with ownership, stadiums and uncertainty than a couple of years of struggles after 10 years of strength and contention.

All I know is I have been waiting for 3 seasons for TFC to bring in players with that level of technical skill. Amado isn't quite there and I think we were all hoping Vitti would have been that guy. As it is, I am not sure we will be starting 2010 with more skill level than 2009 (probably less) and I think it will hurt us.

rocker
12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Varied success?

Who has more MLS Cups than DC United? The last couple of years have been difficult for DC true...but that has more to do with ownership, stadiums and uncertainty than a couple of years of struggles after 10 years of strength and contention.

he didn't say DC United has had varied success generally.
he said the latin american experiment has had varied success. I assumed he meant recent years. I've only been following DC since 2007 so I dunno how the latin american experiment worked before then.

And I agree that the latin american experiment at DC United recently has been a mixed bag.

Gallardo was a complete bust. Fred has fallen apart after a decent first season. Supporters are complaining about Emilio's DP contract and relative lack of production (for the price) after a hot first season. Peralta was overpriced and didn't play well on the backline. The shrimpy Franco Niell barely played. Gonzalo Martinez lasted barely a season. Moreno is still decent although he doesn't start as much as he used to. Gomez was very good, but now is overpriced as he declines.

I know a lot of people seem to think DC has this golden touch in latin america, but it's a pretty hit and miss record over the past three seasons.
They also haven't made the playoffs in two years -- and they don't have TFC's expansion excuse.

Roogsy
12-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Everything is "hit and miss".

What would we call the TFC "British experiment"?

The point is that DC has had the most success of all the clubs in MLS and they have done it with a focus on bringing in solid Latin American contributions. In fact, most MLS clubs have learned how to blend American talent with Latin American skill with some success. Let's look at last year, the eventual winners, the runners up, and the semi-finalists all had solid Latin American contributions. And yet TFC continues to put up the excuse that "it's too hard to get Latin players".

At this point, it's no untested theory...if you want success in MLS you need cheap Latin American talent, period. Along the way, you will have duds yes...but you tell me, which is more expensive, a Latin American dud or an Andy Welsh/Laurent Robert?

ag futbol
12-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I know a lot of people seem to think DC has this golden touch in latin america, but it's a pretty hit and miss record over the past three seasons.
The think the right word would be had. Back in the day DCU had the ambition of no other club in MLS. They rode their latin american signings along with some solid domestics like John Harkes to big success. They were also the only MLS club with a dedicated scout (deloyed in south america).

These days, signing guys in latin america isn't shooting fish in a barrell like it once was. There's no more Raul Diaz Arce, young Jamie Moreno, or Marco Etchevery that will come easy.

I think this guy has a better pedigree than most off season MLS signings will have. But collectively most of the stuff will see will be similar to yawning at another Pablo Vitti type who looks to be on his way down rather than up.

Roogsy
12-20-2009, 03:32 PM
The think the right word would be had. Back in the day DCU had the ambition of no other club in MLS. They rode their latin american signings along with some soid domestics like John Harkes to big success. They were also the only MLS club with a dedicated scout (deloyed in south america).

These days, signing guys in latin america isn't shooting fish in a barrell like it once was. There's no more Raul Diaz Arce, young Jamie Moreno, or Marco Etchevery that will come easy.

I think this guy has a better pedigree than most off season MLS signings will have. But collectively most of the stuff will see will be similar to yawning at another Pablo Vitti type who looks to be on his way down rather than up.

This I can agree with.

Keegan
12-20-2009, 05:12 PM
^
I do have to say not to many people care about the Gold Cup... specially during WQC's

That is a mistake considering Gold Cup counts for the most by far for FIFA points for CONCACAF nations. Only World competitions get you more points.

Which explains why Canada is 56 right now and El Salvador is 78. Saying you don't care about the Gold Cup is just plain dumb. Next WCQ El Salvador might get knocked out by the US in a home and home before it even begins

ag futbol
12-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Sorry but when the tournament is played in the middle of WCQ’s that pretty much reflects reality. By the time the next rankings come up for WCQ this will be long in the past (also Warner sets up to favor T&T anyways, by varying the time period when he takes seeding). USA fielded their B-squad and many other teams fielded weakened teams. Just because watched ES play one game against Canada and "nobody was impressive" does not preclude them from having quality players.

WCQ is a bigger deal, a much higher level of soccer, and one where they were able to at least get some performances despite failing overall. They made it through to Hex in a weaker group and at least took a few games. The guy we are talking about here played pretty well.

Yohan
12-20-2009, 06:36 PM
At this point, it's no untested theory...if you want success in MLS you need cheap Latin American talent, period. Along the way, you will have duds yes...but you tell me, which is more expensive, a Latin American dud or an Andy Welsh/Laurent Robert?
seriously? you wouldn't have taken a shot at Laurent Robert? hindsight is 20/20...

Roogsy
12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
seriously? you wouldn't have taken a shot at Laurent Robert? hindsight is 20/20...

Exactly. So don't quote a couple of failed projects to be the defining reason for the latin "experiment" especially when that experiment is going a whole lot better than teams that are opting not to go in that direction.

Yohan
12-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Exactly. So don't quote a couple of failed projects to be the defining reason for the latin "experiment" especially when that experiment is going a whole lot better than teams that are opting not to go in that direction.
DCU's last cup came at 04. before that, their 3 other cups were won when the league was at infancy, and players weren't that good, esp domestic US players.

I dunno dude. SJ/HOU, NE, LAG, the other successful teams in MLS history, just how much latin americans did they have in their squad? or focus on certain ethnicity for their key players?

I think these teams found the right players and right team chemistry with right coaching to achieve their successes, regardless of importing certain group of players of specific ethnicity

FluSH
12-20-2009, 07:49 PM
That is a mistake considering Gold Cup counts for the most by far for FIFA points for CONCACAF nations. Only World competitions get you more points.

Which explains why Canada is 56 right now and El Salvador is 78. Saying you don't care about the Gold Cup is just plain dumb. Next WCQ El Salvador might get knocked out by the US in a home and home before it even begins

I'm telling you the truth... at least the majority of people from El Salvador which I have talked to could care less for the Gold Cup... It doesn't matter what FIFA ranks you at as long as you make it... somehow... to the WC... when a Nation is +50 in rankings it means jack shit... and the last Gold Cup... El Salvador is in the middle of a WCQ run!

Roogsy
12-20-2009, 07:58 PM
DCU's last cup came at 04. before that, their 3 other cups were won when the league was at infancy, and players weren't that good, esp domestic US players.

I dunno dude. SJ/HOU, NE, LAG, the other successful teams in MLS history, just how much latin americans did they have in their squad? or focus on certain ethnicity for their key players?

I think these teams found the right players and right team chemistry with right coaching to achieve their successes, regardless of importing certain group of players of specific ethnicity

Of course issues of team chemistry, coaching and other factors are much more important and should be considered first before looking for players from "certain" parts of the world. However, once those issues are addressed, what is left are the little nuances and small advantages teams need to differentiate themselves between each other.

When you look at Latin American players, you have a lot of negative issues...work ethic, diving, size etc. However, there are two things that are advantages if you find the right player that fits in the system that you build with the above building blocks you already mentioned...and that is technical skill and cost. I submit that it's easier to find these among Latin players (especially cost) than it is European players where we have gotten a large segment of our key pieces (and look at the "success" we have had.) In a salary cap environment, this is the sort of the thing that separates the champions from the also-rans.

So my argument ISN'T that Latin players should be looked at first but in the MLS you certainly can't win without them...or at least it's helluva lot harder to do so.

And to prove my case, all you have to do is look at the most successful clubs in the world the past 10 years and tell me if they have not reached their success without significant contributions from players originating in CONMEBOL.

Yohan
12-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Of course issues of team chemistry, coaching and other factors are much more important and should be considered first before looking for players from "certain" parts of the world. However, once those issues are addressed, what is left are the little nuances and small advantages teams need to differentiate themselves between eeach other.

When you look at Latin American players, you have a lot of negative issues...work ethic, diving, size etc. However, there are two things that are advantages if you find the right player that fits in the system that you build with the above building blocks you already mentioned...and that is technical skill and cost. I submit that it's easier to find these among Latin players (especially cost) than it is European players where we have gotten a large segment of our key pieces (and look at the "success" we have had.) In a salary cap environment, this is the sort of the thing that separates the champions from the also-rans.

So my argument ISN'T that Latin players should be looked at first but in the MLS you certainly can't win without them...or at least it's helluva lot harder to do so.
fair enough. good argument:)

Keegan
12-21-2009, 02:48 AM
I'm telling you the truth... at least the majority of people from El Salvador which I have talked to could care less for the Gold Cup... It doesn't matter what FIFA ranks you at as long as you make it... somehow... to the WC... when a Nation is +50 in rankings it means jack shit... and the last Gold Cup... El Salvador is in the middle of a WCQ run!

It does mean jack shit. Are you that confident El Salvador would beat the US, Honduras, Costa Rica, T and T, Canada, Jamaica or Mexico in a home and home?

ES squeaked by Panama by scoring 2 goals in the last 10 minutes or they wouldn't have made the 3rd round.

FluSH
12-21-2009, 07:44 AM
It does mean jack shit. Are you that confident El Salvador would beat the US, Honduras, Costa Rica, T and T, Canada, Jamaica or Mexico in a home and home?

ES squeaked by Panama by scoring 2 goals in the last 10 minutes or they wouldn't have made the 3rd round.

No, I am not that confident... never said I was. ES pulled a huge comeback to make it into he 3rd round... not "squeaked"... anyhow they played well in the early stages of the 3rd round almost beating the U.S. (which they should have won if it wasn't for that keeper injury)... anyhow I have no doubts in my mind if they had sealed that win and also the games against T&T that El Salvador would have made it through...

ag futbol
12-21-2009, 10:18 AM

I'd have to disagree with this. The players you saw in the past were arguably better than the ones we see now. A lot people would say that one DC team that won the cup was the best roster ever assembled in MLS.

Some of the US Domestics that played back then: Eddie Pope (80+ caps for the USMNT),Jeff Agoos (100+ caps), Cobi Jones, Clint Dempsy, Brian McBride, Clint Mathis (in non-fossil form) etc.. A lot of that team had good showings at the WC, as opposed to today's USMNT where most of the first choice team is european based. Debatable, but this league was probably spending more on Salary at start-up than it is right now. There was actually quite a bit of talent.

DCU in general have been a lot more successful than any other MLS team. Even though they only won the cup last in 04, they won supporters shield in 06 and 07. They've won the eastern conference almost 50% of the time ... that's a pretty good level of dominance.

I don't think we need to copy anybody's transfer policy or necessarily establish a latin scouting network, but frankly we need to rely on Europe less.

hodgkiss
12-21-2009, 10:51 AM
i'm not a huge wynne fan but he did shut down christiano ronaldo quite a bit in the friendly with real madrid - enough to make him quite pissed off atht he couldn't get away with his stepover garbage.

he looks pretty sick but looks only go so far... just ask vitti.

Roogsy
12-21-2009, 11:10 AM
LOL! I love how anyone with technical skill gets compared to Pablo Vitti.

How about this...we compare everyone with technical flare to Lionel Messi? How does that make sense? About as much as comparing them to Vitti.

It's an argument full of fallacy.

rocker
12-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Ives talks about DC's recent problems

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=716224&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

rocker
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I'd have to disagree with this. The players you saw in the past were arguably better than the ones we see now..

But the quality of MLS is higher now than it was then from top to bottom.

MLS may have had some big name players back in the day. But I think the overall talent is better. So it was probably easier for DC to dominate back when the league was just getting started.

I think it would be much harder to dominate MLS time and time again now.

Yohan
12-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Ives talks about DC's recent problems

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=716224&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901
interesting. it says Emilio is available on free agent, though would have to trade with DC for his rights 20 goals in 07, 10 in 08 and 09. has a green card so only will count as US int

though inconsistent as hell and a bit lazy

hodgkiss
12-21-2009, 11:33 AM
^^^ difference is... messi is an amazing player. he doesn't rely on his flash to make him a better player. he is skilled in so many areas and has that special ability that few players in the world have.

as far as castilo goes, (i have never seen him play other than this youtube vid) so i can't make a complete judgement on him. but these guys that are all about the flash are easily beaten off the ball once they beat a defender. the become a one-dimensional player and tend to go nowhere (unless they improve their overall game).

ronaldo (even though i can't stand him) became a much better player because of the coaching he had at manutd. don't be fooled, ferguson made him who he is today. because if he were anywhere else, he would still be a one-dimensional player (with loads of potential).

you have o ask yourself why castilo would come to mls in the first place... obviously there is an issue. we can not attract the right players here for the right reasons quite yet. he's been on loan quite a bit in the last couple of years... and since 2006 he's made 100 apps and only 7 goals... he sounds exactly like vitti!

Roogsy
12-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't want Emilio. He got the DP contract and when into the shitter. Some players just play for the big payday.

I think this reveals the "other side" of the Latin story with DC United. Their ill-fated attempt to regain past glory has made them rely on poorly planned roster building. Sort of like the Leafs, instead of maintaining a solid roster-building formula where you retain solid talent and inject new youth regularly along the way...they keep trying to "win it all" by looking for that "lightning in a bottle" that Ives mentions.

If history in all sports shows us, you can't remain at the top doing that, eventually you get smacked down.

Going back to what Yohan has mentioned...you need a good fundamental plan, a strategy with team chemistry and good coaching. You need a balance of young players and veterans. You need talent and you need a star. This basic formula has worked time and time again in every sport in every league. Why people think they can veer away from it or miss pieces is beyond me.

Roogsy
12-21-2009, 11:38 AM
you have o ask yourself why castilo would come to mls in the first place... obviously there is an issue. we can not attract the right players here for the right reasons quite yet. he's been on loan quite a bit in the last couple of years... and since 2006 he's made 100 apps and only 7 goals... he sounds exactly like vitti!

This is a better argument than simply saying every technical player is a "Vitti".

Yohan
12-21-2009, 12:09 PM
speaking of making a great latin american signing, have a look at Leonardo Gonzalez.

Seattle had assembled their first team before the season began, but identified one lack in LB, so signed Leo Gonzalez from Costa Rica. cheap at 50k. he is now their starting LB. no other player movements were made by Seattle during the season

GM and coach had a plan, scouted properly, and executed the move to pick up a good MLS player. good stability in the team

then you get TFC and its revolving door policy

Roogsy
12-21-2009, 12:15 PM

Exactly. That is a key sign that there is no plan in place and it's all ad-hoc.

ag futbol
12-21-2009, 12:40 PM
as far as castilo goes, (i have never seen him play other than this youtube vid) so i can't make a complete judgement on him. but these guys that are all about the flash are easily beaten off the ball once they beat a defender. the become a one-dimensional player and tend to go nowhere (unless they improve their overall game).
MLS is closer to a continental style of soccer. Players who can dribble are afforded some protection and that allows them to be effective. Again if the end result of his moves allow him to advance play, then it's a positive.

The modest "team first" mentality we have towards sport in our culture has lent itself to a bias against people who show individual flair. This has been further perpetuated by ideas that are mostly inaccurate that basically used to discourage perceived "show-boating".

Perhaps the strongest evidence i could point to in regards to the above is that cultures with more emphasis on technical ability are producing a much greater multitude of offensive talents than the ones who shun things like dribbling in favor of modesty.

This article pretty much says is all (and why our development model sucks):
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2009/12/20/hog_the_ball_kid/

ag futbol
12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
speaking of making a great latin american signing, have a look at Leonardo Gonzalez.

Seattle had assembled their first team before the season began, but identified one lack in LB, so signed Leo Gonzalez from Costa Rica. cheap at 50k. he is now their starting LB. no other player movements were made by Seattle during the season

GM and coach had a plan, scouted properly, and executed the move to pick up a good MLS player. good stability in the team

Cristian Arrieta from PR should be heavily on our list. He'd be great at RB.

Roogsy
12-21-2009, 01:13 PM
A look at the US men’s national team roster pointed at one problem: a generation of players who are physically strong and competitive but never developed the sophisticated skills needed to move the ball creatively across the field. Americans could occasionally overpower top-flight European and South Americans teams with a direct style, but would rarely dominate a match.

I could not agree more.

The US produces better athletes than any other country, but not better soccer players and the problem is in the system.

Canada would do well to pay attention to these failings as they are very similar to our own.

Fishnicker
12-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Cristian Arrieta from PR should be heavily on our list. He'd be great at RB.

Agreed! I thought he was amazing in both games and the best PR player on the pitch.

v00d00daddy
12-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Varied success?

All I know is I have been waiting for 3 seasons for TFC to bring in players with that level of technical skill. Amado isn't quite there and I think we were all hoping Vitti would have been that guy. As it is, I am not sure we will be starting 2010 with more skill level than 2009 (probably less) and I think it will hurt us.

sorry roogsy but it's never going to happen. I hoped it would be different with tfc but it's not. Apparently there is only one way to build a team.

It frustrates me to no end. With Guevara and vitti gone i'm afraid our technical ability has dropped. I hope the future roster moves will be to get that technical ability back and nit just more runners.

H Bomb
12-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Perhaps we could have people who can dance with their feet and run. i cant think of many players like that in this league so probably not, but with Vitti's useless touches and Barrett's useless running one can get a bit fed up.

hodgkiss
12-22-2009, 09:34 AM
technical players do not only come from spanish speaking parts of the world. i have a strong feeling that (although preki admits to scouting south america) he will add some technical ability through teams like serbian white eagles. we could help develop younger guys that they may not be able to afford or we can work closely together with them by having them take on some young talent and purchase them after they have developed.

probably the most technically gifted player on tfc that very few people have actually seen play is gabe gala. i have a feeling that preki will see this and give him a fair shot at making the starting XI. i wouldn't be surprised to see him play regularly in the charleston tourney and possibly into opening day.

this guy was better than most of the u20 argentina team that played a friendly against us in 08. and he scored (the only) goal against real madrid.

as far as new players go though, i think it will be well rounded. maybe african, british, european and canadians that will be added. americans will generally be added through the draft and/or via trade.

Roogsy
12-22-2009, 09:42 AM
technical players do not only come from spanish speaking parts of the world. i have a strong feeling that (although preki admits to scouting south america) he will add some technical ability through teams like serbian white eagles. we could help develop younger guys that they may not be able to afford or we can work closely together with them by having them take on some young talent and purchase them after they have developed.

This is absolutely true, Latin American isn't the only place in the world to produce technically skilled players. The point you are missing is that the part of the world in question tends to produce a higher percentage of technical players because of the style of play in that region, hence there is a larger pool to pick from. Finding players is such a crapshoot to begin with, if you start with a smaller group to begin with, your chances for success are diminished.

However, I am somewhat doubtful about your point with the Serbian White Eagles. That really is lowering the bar, no offence intended.

FluSH
12-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Serbian White Eagles did tie 2008 TFC in a closed door game... there were only 3 startes missing for TFC.

and I believe they also lost 1-0 to Montreal Impact

Again the above info is just what I have been told and not confirmed....

hodgkiss
12-22-2009, 11:50 AM
i think the good thing about scouting and potentially picking up players from south america is more about money than anything. one can potentially pick up a young developing player from there at a relatively low cost as compared to say a country like england where a kid of the same age they would generally not let go. or if they did, they would attach a large price tag to him or more than likely just loan him out until he became a better player (then taking him back or sticking you with a large transfer fee).

as far as the serbian white eagles go, they are a pretty skilled group of players with many of them playing careers in europe. because of the tie with tfc and the fact that preki and his new assistant are from the same part of the world, i would anticipate that they will give a closer look to some of their players. they're not a bad side at all. you might be surprised by some of the talent and more importantly (their technical ability). and this is my point, the ability is all over the world. and it's not ALL about technical ability. otherwise, why wouldn't we just sign freestyle guys? they woudl look sick on eth pitch. but can they make a pass? score a goal, defend or block a shot? do they have and tactical knowledge? probably not.

and i'm not saying that a professional player at that level in south america wouldn't have at least most of those skills developed to a certain degree but sometimes it seems as though we confuse technical ability with flashiness. they are very different. and i think a guy like rohan ricketts was a good example of that. nice guy, had soccer knowledge. was flashy at some points of his time here but just didn't seem o have what it took to be consistent - to be a good player. i would much rather have guys that could play the game well on many levels and maybe not get all pissy because they couldn't make the 7th stepover around a defender when they were trying to go to goal on their own.

we need guys who are well rounded, can play together on a team, who are professional (not diving everywhere) who have heart and desire to win. have technical ability and can deliver consistently and especially when it counts. taking many of these guys like welsh, robert, vitti, ricketts etc (trying to start up their careers) are a long shot. good of mo to make a move to get some help but when they don't work out, it shouldn't be a surprise. we need to scout everywhere and pick up quality guys. even if its one or two a year, we need to get the right guys. not someone to fill a space. and certainly not someone who looks flashy because that's all they will ever end up being. i was sick of saying well vitti looks good but he can't score. or amado is a good player, he can score so if he takes a yellow its okay. or he had an off day today he'll be better next game. we need these guys to play every game!

ag futbol
12-22-2009, 04:15 PM
i was sick of saying well vitti looks good but he can't score. or amado is a good player, he can score so if he takes a yellow its okay. or he had an off day today he'll be better next game. we need these guys to play every game!
But this is to a certain extent the nature of the game and the cultural biases behind them.
As an example. I think it was Del Piero who was rated by the Italian and English press for either the euros in 2000 or a CL game. The English press gave him high marks for his effort, the Italans press gave him very low marks because there were no results and he didn’t make the most of his very rare chances. I don’t think there is a “right answer” but I know by opinion is heavily behind the way the Italian press looked at that game.

With regards to Guevara because he’s an offensive player who’s dependant not only on the service he gets but the ability of those around him. A lot of teams we played last year did one thing to severely (and effectively) limit TFC: Blanket Dero and Guevara, let the rest of this sad sack group try and advance the ball up the field. We have no wingers, no defenders who can pass, our primary DM can’t pass, the end result is that our attacking players have to come back out of attacking positions to get the ball and when they are squeezed in the centre they have no place to make a play as our “wide” players don’t actually provide any width.

Guevara only took 3 cards in all of last year. The guys who deserve to be ripped in that department are Jim Brennan and Chad Barrett. Not only were they more frequent, but they were also more limiting to the team from a tactical standpoint and in many cases un-necessary. Barrett couldn’t handle the fact Kevin Alston was completely shutting him down so he collected a second yellow and tossed himself out of the game.

Roogsy
12-22-2009, 04:19 PM
But this is to a certain extent the nature of the game and the cultural biases behind them.
As an example. I think it was Del Piero who was rated by the Italian and English press for either the euros in 2000 or a CL game. The English press gave him high marks for his effort, the Italans press gave him very low marks because there were no results and he didn’t make the most of his very rare chances. I don’t think there is a “right answer” but I know by opinion is heavily behind the way the Italian press looked at that game.

With regards to Guevara because he’s an offensive player who’s dependant not only on the service he gets but the ability of those around him. A lot of teams we played last year did one things to severely (and effectively) limit TFC: Blanket Dero and Guevara, let the rest of this sad sack group try and advance the ball up the field. We have no wingers, no defenders who can pass, our primary DM can’t pass, the end result is that our attacking players have to come back out of attacking positions to get the ball and when they are squeezed in the centre they have no place to make a play as our “wide” players don’t actually provide any width.

Guevara only took 3 cards in all of last year. The guys who deserve to be ripped in that department are Jim Brennan and Chad Barrett. Not only were they more frequent, but they were also more limiting to the team from a tactical standpoint and in many cases un-necessary. Barrett couldn’t handle the fact Kevin Alston was completely shutting him down so he collected a second yellow and tossed himself out of the game.

Fantastic post.

106-12
12-25-2009, 02:21 PM
lots of talent . but does he know how to pass the ball???