PDA

View Full Version : Growing the MLS - Does the MLS really care?

Bombonera
06-13-2008, 11:10 AM
While te MLS is doign its best to publicize signings of middle aged, ex stars, we as fans are rarely treated to a reliable line up of players. If the quality fo the league is to grow, do we not think that a greater effort must be made to allow the teams to develop? WOuld that not immeidately impact the expereicen for the fans thereby resulting in increases attendance, raitings...BEER SALES?:taz:

ensco
06-13-2008, 11:12 AM
While te MLS is doign its best to publicize signings of middle aged, ex stars, we as fans are rarely treated to a reliable line up of players. If the quality fo the league is to grow, do we not think that a greater effort must be made to allow the teams to develop? WOuld that not immeidately impact the expereicen for the fans thereby resulting in increases attendance, raitings...BEER SALES?:taz:

Memo to MLS: stop scheduling league games on FIFA dates, use these for friendlies.

This Saturday would have been a perfect night for the Pachuca or Independiente game.

Is it really so hard?

TOBOR !
06-13-2008, 11:31 AM
so, you're saying that they shouldn't be signing players from overseas ?

Parkdale
06-13-2008, 11:37 AM
^ did he say that? He was talking about scheduling around FIFA dates (probably involving the US and CDN national teams) *thought you were referring to ensco, not to OP

Northern Soul
06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Oh, I think the MLS cares, but the questions are:

1. Are they trying to be accomodating to the larger organizations (FIFA, UEFA) because MLS doesn't have a lot of clout?
2. Do they just not know how to go about it?

Jack
06-13-2008, 11:48 AM
We spoke briefly about this to the MLS official who was at our meeting last night and it is something they are looking at.

Barbarez
06-13-2008, 11:53 AM
so, you're saying that they shouldn't be signing players from overseas ?

Not 35 year olds who nobody else will take...I'd rather TFC develope some solid canadian players, even if it means 3-4 terrible seasons.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Not 35 year olds who nobody else will take...I'd rather TFC develope some solid canadian players, even if it means 3-4 terrible seasons.

Itll happen, especially with this draft coming up

ensco
06-13-2008, 12:13 PM
I'd rather TFC develope some solid canadian players, even if it means 3-4 terrible seasons.

I doubt it would work.

It's a bit of a catch-22, the local kids you really want, won't stay in the country

It's true for most teams in secondary markets now, the money is just too big

Fort York Redcoat
06-13-2008, 12:16 PM
The scheduling is MLS being stubborn to spite itself. FIFA dates always take players and fans away from games. To have breaks respects the FIFA calendar and in return will gain more respect from other leagues and future players. I don't think playing sub par Canadians does any different than what MLS are doing. More people want to see the best possible talent on the field. To institute any domestic players rules shackles the game here.

Bombonera
06-13-2008, 12:58 PM
We are now entering qualifying rounds, so I get the need for a national team to field the best. However, (And perhasp this has been covered elsewhere..) do MLS teams not have the right to say "No, we as your employer, need you to help us win this weekend"? Does the team and/or the league have any rights, or are we so starved for talent that we have no recourse?

Wilbix
06-13-2008, 01:04 PM
The scheduling is MLS being stubborn to spite itself. FIFA dates always take players and fans away from games. To have breaks respects the FIFA calendar and in return will gain more respect from other leagues and future players.
The most irritating part is that the league doesn't have every team play every weekend. For some inexplicable (to me, at least) reason, teams have random "bye" weeks, even though there is an even number of teams in the league. All you have to do is synchronize these "byes" so that nobody plays, and set those dates on FIFA dates - DUNZO! MLS please hire me as head-scheduler.

Fort York Redcoat
06-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Some teams have other commitments with their shared stadiums. There is an unfortunate tendency to adopted a spread out schedule to maximize POSSIBLE viewers. I too would prefer a tradition of Saturday afternoon with midweek friendlies etc. Consistency breeds stability. More viewers as well.

Jack
06-13-2008, 01:29 PM
So far we've managed to avoid this, though. Robert has worked out pretty well (and he's 32) and we avoided Mijatovic and Joao Pinto (who fit your description).

I'd like to see TFC develop some solid Canadian players too, but there aren't that many around. Look what we got stuck with last year. Most of those guys are never going to develop into "solid" players.

Carts
06-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Some teams have other commitments with their shared stadiums. There is an unfortunate tendency to adopted a spread out schedule to maximize POSSIBLE viewers. I too would prefer a tradition of Saturday afternoon with midweek friendlies etc. Consistency breeds stability. More viewers as well.

I agree with this - but keep the 'ESPN2 Thursday Night' slot for one game... Being on ESPN, even though its ESPN2 is good for the league...

Carts...

Damien
06-13-2008, 02:28 PM
If the CSL can develop some half decent Canadian players, so too can TFC Academy!

The Kingpin
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
So far we've managed to avoid this, though. Robert has worked out pretty well (and he's 32) and we avoided Mijatovic and Joao Pinto (who fit your description).

I'd like to see TFC develop some solid Canadian players too, but there aren't that many around. Look what we got stuck with last year. Most of those guys are never going to develop into "solid" players.

And Ricketts is only 25 and could still improve. I think TFC have made decent signings and have also drafted well. I'll give them credit where credit is due... But the setting of FRIENDLIES detracting from the MLS on field product is pathetic at best. Oh, Don Garber you prove me right week after week...