PDA

View Full Version : Who will be our top scoring striker this year?

Stryker
12-18-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm gonna go with O'Brien White personally.

Yohan
12-18-2009, 11:19 AM
lol. let's wait until beginning of preseason when we will have better idea who's in the team. i have a feeling there's going to be at least one striker coming in

ArmenJBX
12-18-2009, 11:19 AM
O'Brian White.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
^ I certainly HOPE so...

Stryker
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
lol. let's wait until beginning of preseason when we will have better idea who's in the team. i have a feeling there's going to be at least one striker coming in
Yes I accounted for that Mr. Can'twaittillthepollsup. :p

Yohan
12-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Dear Ali,

Please trim down your fat ass. You don't want Preki to put you on the Chubby Chaser.
Then maybe you'll score more goals

Roogsy
12-18-2009, 11:25 AM
DeRo will have more space and will score 12 goals this year. The next top scorer will probably score 10 and it will be Obie.

Juanito
12-18-2009, 11:57 AM
I have no faith in our strikers. Other than DeRo, they have NO killer instinct.

jloome
12-18-2009, 12:13 PM
No killer instinct? Both of White's goals of the week were fairly impressive.

I think once he gets a full season, with a decent strike partner and service he can get 10, yeah.

Shakes McQueen
12-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I think it'll likely be whoever we sign, with Ali Gerba as a "dark horse" in the race.

- Scott

Redpunkfiddle
12-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Premature question before we go through off season movements.

daner90
12-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I will hold my judgement to see how OBW does after a full training camp and preseason with the team but I am going with Barrett

Roogsy
12-18-2009, 03:05 PM
No killer instinct? Both of White's goals of the week were fairly impressive.

I think once he gets a full season, with a decent strike partner and service he can get 10, yeah.

I have a great track record when it comes to projections. I am tellin' ya...put money on it.

deschamp86
12-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Last year people thought it would be Vitti.

I found that funny at the time as I'm sure everyone else did as well.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it will be Gerba since he'll have a preseason with the team, and hopefully get some decent playing time.

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2009, 04:14 PM
DeRo, for now...

craigtfc
12-18-2009, 04:25 PM
ok who said barrett? that guy couldn't score in a womens prison with a hand full of pardons.

trane
12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I will again put it out there, I still think Gerba will, if given/earning enough playing time and baring another striker comming in.

poppamidnight
12-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Obie....
A full healthy season, I like the possibilities...

Although De-Ro will be right up here...

I get the feeling this is the yr where they could end up tied for goals,
the yr after that, OBW takes off with a ton of goals, while De-Ro slows it down and begins playing lower-scoring type of style, (as most players do when they begin their career wind-down)

MartinUtd
12-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I went with Gerba because I feel the grass pitch will help improve his game to greater lengths than others. He plays a tight game and the new, less bouncy surface should take away a lot of random giveaways while holding the ball.

FluSH
12-18-2009, 06:01 PM
OB Wan

wzhxvy
12-18-2009, 06:21 PM
CB9 aka Chad Barrett

Nazzer
12-18-2009, 08:27 PM
This year will be Barrett's year.

Zeke_Jones
12-18-2009, 11:03 PM
I dont care if Stefan Frei is our leading goalscorer I just dont want us to rely on Ali Gerber or Chad Blow-it!!

Gerba cannot catch a ball and Barret had twice as many chances as any other player on the team.

Lets hope a good striker from europe has a mental breakdown and decides to come play in the MLS for a fraction of his regular pay.

cmonyoureds
12-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Barrett.

If DeRo is our leading scorer again either we're in a hell of a lot of trouble or he needs to spend more time taking care of the mid, JDG aside.
Was not impressed with Gerba at all despite some people insisting he was the answer to every striking question we've had.
OBW did look good when given the chance. I'd like to see him over the full 90 a little more though.

Damien
12-19-2009, 12:40 AM
O'B Wan

koryo
12-19-2009, 10:48 AM
At the moment I'd have to say White. I hope Gerba gets fit and gets some service. I still think he can do the job for us.

jloome
12-21-2009, 04:41 PM
At the moment I'd have to say White. I hope Gerba gets fit and gets some service. I still think he can do the job for us.

He noted in the RedNation Online interview that his wonky knee gave him problems all season, that he had trouble getting fit due to inability to put in enough time.

james
12-22-2009, 01:08 AM
gerba seriously?? you guys are crazy, he doesnt have the skill to be leadding goal scorer. Hes lucky to get 5 goals.

Id say with help Dero will score more goals this year. White might be really good to.

Barrett had the chances, if only he can learn how to finnish he could get alot more goals this year.

invictusTFC
12-22-2009, 10:22 AM
If the back of the opposing net were to be littered with pies, my vote would go to Gerba...

trane
12-22-2009, 10:53 AM
^ Have either of you ever seen Gerba play for our national team, against competition that is generaly better then the MLS? He has the skill, the issue is fitness and service. He gets those he can score plenty in this league. I do not think of Barrett as a striker anymore.

rocker
12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
^ Have either of you ever seen Gerba play for our national team, against competition that is generaly better then the MLS? He has the skill, the issue is fitness and service. He gets those he can score plenty in this league. I do not think of Barrett as a striker anymore.

I agree.. but I don't think it's a question of fitness at all. Otherwise the argument has to be made that he was always fit for Canada and not always fit for his club side. The dude even scored for Canada right before he joined TFC against Guatemala, Jamaica and El Salvador (when he was still getting fit after a layoff).

i think it's service, which you identify....... getting him involved in the correct way. Even if he was as fit as me (not fit!) he'd still knock home goals with his instinct, if the opportunities arose.
But he's never gonna run around and create on his own. Dichio was the same way. Gotta involve these guys the way they like it.

trane
12-22-2009, 12:13 PM
^ I agree, but he admitted he was not fit, and just as in overwieght but injured, I think that it happered his mobility. Not that he is the most mobile anyway, but still he needs to be mobile enought to get to the right position to score.

Technorgasm
12-24-2009, 11:45 AM
CB9 aka Chad Barrett

awesome.

torontocelt
12-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Stupid question, it has to be Luca Toni.

Torontotonto
12-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I say it will most likely still be DeRo...
Still have some faith in Barrett & Gerba

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to the Red Patch Nation, we will be there next year. Preki will get this squad moving early.

:scarf::flare::flare::scarf:

Menelaos
12-28-2009, 10:47 PM
DeRo unless they bring in someone good

ExiledRed
01-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Barrett.

If DeRo is our leading scorer again either we're in a hell of a lot of trouble or he needs to spend more time taking care of the mid, JDG aside.

actually if Barrett is our leading scorer we'll be in much worse trouble. It will mean nobody else got more than 4.

ExiledRed
01-03-2010, 05:04 PM
This year will be Barrett's year.

No, last year was Barrett's year. He fucked it up, he should be all out of chances now for fucks sake.

MrHawk
01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
No, last year was Barrett's year. He fucked it up, he should be all out of chances now for fucks sake.

Got to agree here.

He's paid to score.........and he doesn't seem to be doing it for TFC.

jabbronies
01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm giving barrett one last season to prove himself. And the only reason I'm giving him this chance is because we have grass. No more "the turf is too bouncy" BS excuses.

CM's and DM's are work horses, Strikers score goals. Time for him to score some fucking goals!!

trane
01-06-2010, 11:14 AM
^ I have to ask, what does shanking the ball over the goal, like a fucking field goal have anything to do with turf?

jabbronies
01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
^ I have to ask, what does shanking the ball over the goal, like a fucking field goal have anything to do with turf?

If the ball is bouncing alot (which it does on turf) and the striker can't time it properly (as a professional playing on it everyday, he should be able to figure it out after a few months) or bring it down quick enough before he gets the shot off, all he can do is boot it from where it is in the air.

Dero, among others, have also said the big bounce of the turf throws off the timing of thier shot. That's why they've had a hard time finishing the chances they've had.

Well now that we have grass, that excuse can't be used. So I'll give him one last chance to redeem himself.

I mean, in 2009 he did score 2 in san Jose (grass) and 1 in montreal, Chicago and Dallas (grass). and only 1 at home on turf.

trane
01-06-2010, 12:19 PM
^ I can see that. We will see.

jabbronies
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
^ I can see that. We will see.

Exactly. We'll see what happens. I won't throw him under the bus yet, but he NEEDS to score goals right off the bat (once the season starts).

At first it was said it was his fitness. Fair enough, when he got here it showed. He's had a year with a decent trainer and he overcame that.

His stats have shown he can score on grass. Fair enough, he's not the first player to show better playing on grass than turf. But that's over and in the past. We now have grass.

There are no more excuses for him. His fitness is fine, we have grass, we have guys who should be able to get him the ball. All he has to do is finish. He doesn't have to think about anything else. Don't think, just score.