PDA

View Full Version : Amado Gone!

FluSH
12-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Just saw this posted on the Usector site:

Amado to Honduran side Motagua
http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=12334

:(

If this is true... Adios Amado! Best Wishes to you and your family... You played well here in Toronto and will be sorely missed.

(edit: Spanish News are saying he's got the option to return back to the MLS... but he is also quoted that he is going to retire there)

http://markblinch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mb_20090422_30036b1.jpg

Spanish News here:

http://www.elheraldo.hn/Ediciones/2009/12/16/Noticias/Amado-Guevara-firmo-por-dos-anos-con-Motagua

http://www.diez.hn/index.php/F%C3%BAtbol%20Hondure%C3%B1o/Ediciones/2009/12/16/Noticias/Amado-Guevara-ya-es-jugador-de-Motagua

flatpicker
12-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Wow... that's big news!

But given the depth in our midfield, I wouldn't mind seeing his salary going towards a decent striker.

Amado will be missed... he was an important part of the club.

ManUtd4ever
12-16-2009, 06:15 PM
One of my all time favourite TFC greats. El Lobo will be sorely missed and I wish him well in the World Cup and the Honduran League...:o

Pookie
12-16-2009, 06:16 PM
It's true amigo.

My spanish isn't great but I think the jist is that he signed for 2 years with Motagua. Even has a little picture with him pulling on the jersey.

http://www.diez.hn/index.php/F%C3%BAtbol%20Hondure%C3%B1o/Ediciones/2009/12/16/Noticias/Amado-Guevara-ya-es-jugador-de-Motagua

FluSH
12-16-2009, 06:19 PM
(check the edit... Spanish news are reporting a 2yr contract with Motagua, with the option to return back to the MLS)

To return back after 2yrs?

flatpicker
12-16-2009, 06:20 PM
It's true amigo.

My spanish isn't great but I think the jist is that he signed for 2 years with Motagua. Even has a little picture with him pulling on the jersey.

How does a player manage to get as far as putting on a new teams jersey without an announcement from his former club?

TFC is a little slow on the press release!

TFCtoMUFC
12-16-2009, 06:20 PM
(check the edit... Spanish news are reporting a 2yr contract with Motagua, with the option to return back to the MLS)

To return back after 2yrs?

He said he wanted to retire at Motagua.

Pookie
12-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Dunno, the google links said it was posted over an hour ago. You'd think that TFC FO would have had enough notice to get something out

ArmenJBX
Alright, so, how things stand right now, this is our best XI

--------------Frei--------------
Wynne--Nana--Serioux--Brennan
----Cronin---Robbo----JDG------
----------De Rosario------------
-------Barrett----OBW----------

FluSH
How does a player manage to get as far as putting on a new teams jersey without an announcement from his former club?

TFC is a little slow on the press release!

I would really like to tell you that it's an old picture... =(

TFC07
12-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Good luck! Thanks for your service.

I don't know where the rep of Guevara being a hothead/locker room cancer came from, but he was class with TFC.

FluSH
12-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Dunno, the google links said it was posted over an hour ago. You'd think that TFC FO would have had enough notice to get something out

he's quoted above as saying: 'MLS already knew that he wanted to play... and thank God everything went well'

nascarguy
12-16-2009, 06:26 PM
oh man we better have got lots of money for him now we need to find someone to replace him

Yeoman
12-16-2009, 06:26 PM
i will never forget his freekick in montreal
that is stuff legends are made of

ArmenJBX
12-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Will Johnson, Dejan Jakovic, Jonathan Bornstein, Geoff Cameron, anyone, gimme some new players :D

TFC07
12-16-2009, 06:27 PM
oh man we better have got lots of money for him now we need to find someone to replace him

I get the feeling JDG is Guevara replacement.

FluSH
12-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I get the feeling JDG is Guevara replacement.

Let's hope JDG replaces those goals...

nascarguy
12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
oh man i was going to get a world cup ball and get him to sign it

Pookie
12-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Let's hope JDG replaces those goals...

I'd wager that Guevara's salary cap hit will be used to find a replacement up front for those goals.

Though keeping goals out might be a good use of that money too.

FluSH
12-16-2009, 06:34 PM
I predict (edit: Vitti) will be gone... who in the world is going to translate for him?

koryo
12-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Not surprised this has happened. It's the right move provided the player(s) we bring in (either up front or at the back) are quality.

nascarguy
12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
let hope mo is going to go shopping in ohio with the money we got from this deal..

but guys do not forget he is hurt.

TFCRegina
12-16-2009, 06:39 PM
i will never forget his freekick in montreal
that is stuff legends are made of

Yeah, it was pretty sweet.

CretanBull
12-16-2009, 06:41 PM
He served us well so its sad to see him go, but I think we all saw this coming....

Huyton
12-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Hmmm...Now we're free to replace him with someone who is NOT playing in the World Cup.

I think loading up on Canadians, this summer, will be a good thing, as we'll keep our team together where others are losing their best players to South Africa.

Anway, thanks Amado, for some truly wonderful moments...I really would have liked to see what you did on grass, week after week.

Detroit_TFC
12-16-2009, 06:45 PM
He served us well so its sad to see him go, but I think we all saw this coming....

Yeah, when Preki came in I'm sure that sealed it, but there's a good chance this would have happened regardless of who came in as coach.

jloome
12-16-2009, 06:47 PM
And whomever it was that ragged on me viciously a few months back for suggesting he was going back to Motagua next season can officially suck me left one.

Good player, will be missed, salary won't be.

tlear
12-16-2009, 06:50 PM
He was a great player for this club :(

Pookie
12-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Hmmm...Now we're free to replace him with someone who is NOT playing in the World Cup.

I think loading up on Canadians, this summer, will be a good thing, as we'll keep our team together where others are losing their best players to South Africa.

Got to be careful of the MLS quota system though. Generally speaking, Amado would need to be replaced with an International player.

Gixmo
12-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Sad to see him go, but not a surprise. As soon as Callitfootball broke this, it was going to gain speed quickly. The option to return to MLS is there, but let's be honest here.

Best wishes to Amado and family, always welcome back in BMO in my mind!

Gixmo
12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Will Johnson, Dejan Jakovic, Jonathan Bornstein, Geoff Cameron, anyone, gimme some new players :D

Darren Fletcher... Mo said it himself :D

MartinUtd
12-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

I mean.. I saw it coming, but I was really hoping I could get his signature on a Honduras jersey. Ah well, at least thanks to him I have a #2 to root for in the World Cup.

TFCRegina
12-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Got to be careful of the MLS quota system though. Generally speaking, Amado would need to be replaced with an International player.

Last time I checked you could overquota on domestics, but not internationals... There's nothing saying you can't have more domestics

bertal
12-16-2009, 07:19 PM
good god. kudos to a great tfc player!

sarsippius
12-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Too bad. Amado was awesome; he always was so gracious to the fans off the field whenever I saw him.

Two words: Central Defender. We should take the money and fortify the back line. Preferably with a Canadian, but I will take anyone that doesn't wear #4.

s2cazz
12-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Alright, so, how things stand right now, this is our best XI

--------------Frei--------------
Wynne--Nana--Serioux--Brennan
----Cronin---Robbo----JDG------
----------De Rosario------------
-------Ibrahim----OBW----------
I think that would be better. Granted he is not the greatest option he'd do a better job than Barret. And there is no worries on losing him if he plays to much this year is there?

s2cazz
12-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Too bad. Amado was awesome; he always was so gracious to the fans off the field whenever I saw him.

Two words: Central Defender. We should take the money and fortify the back line. Preferably with a Canadian, but I will take anyone that doesn't wear #4.

Dejan Jakovic please

jloome
12-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Dejan Jakovic please

What do you think we could offer DC that would pry away their best defender and one of the only reliable performers on that team. It'll take more than Marv Wynne for that trade to happen.

Can't see how claiming his rights slipped by MLSE's front office. THey should've been all over Jakovic and Hainault.

zeelaw
12-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks El Lobo!

TFC07
12-16-2009, 08:04 PM
What do you think we could offer DC that would pry away their best defender and one of the only reliable performers on that team. It'll take more than Marv Wynne for that trade to happen.

Can't see how claiming his rights slipped by Mo Johnson. THey should've been all over Jakovic and Hainault.

MLSE don't have soccer knowledge. They except Mo to be the one finding these players to sign.

TorCanSoc
12-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Could this be a loan deal like Landycakes? Players want to stay sharp for the world cup next year.

backbeat
12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
we all knew he was leaving...especially after Preki arrived - we love and will miss Amado.

i remember when he first signed with TFC all the talk about how difficult he was - i was worried but he soon won me and the city over

he will be missed and long remembered :scarf:

Amado - TFC forever and a very big THANK YOU!!! :scarf:

Wagner
12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
El Lobo,
Gracias.

TFC Tifoso
12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Good luck to Amado with his new club, and good luck to Amado in the World Cup. One of my favourite players to wear our shirt so far....good player, humble guy, and brought none of the apparent problems he had a reputation for.

Redpunkfiddle
12-16-2009, 08:23 PM
we all knew he was leaving...especially after Preki arrived - we love and will miss Amado.

i remember when he first signed with TFC all the talk about how difficult he was - i was worried but he soon won me and the city over

he will be missed and long remembered :scarf:

Amado - TFC forever and a very big THANK YOU!!! :scarf:

Yes, it was Laurent Robert who came through in the sulky bitch competition.

Amado, vaya con Dios

Ossington Mental Youth
12-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Without a doubt one of my favorite players (if not my favorite player until DeRo's arrival) but he was a surplus this up coming season, good luck to him and thanks for the good years we had together

sulfur
12-16-2009, 08:34 PM
And whomever it was that ragged on me viciously a few months back for suggesting he was going back to Motagua next season can officially suck me left one.
We all knew that he would leave. It's just that the people that actually understand the game didn't really want to admit it.

I for one (of many) am definitely sorry to see him go. Salary or otherwise. He was always a classy guy in Toronto, doing more than was asked of him. Sure, he played "down" a number of times, but honestly, if you were surrounded by some of the guys on that team, wouldn't you pull a Laurent Robert once in a while? :)

MUFC_Niagara
12-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Thank you for all your service Amado and good luck in the future!

Redpunkfiddle
12-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I demand some Paul B. flailing here on why we are reading this on translated Honduran websites and not from tfc front office.

Arms flailing would be bonus.

Yohan
12-16-2009, 08:49 PM
thanks amado for your service as a Red

FluSH
12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
I demand some Paul B. flailing here on why we are reading this on translated Honduran websites and not from tfc front office.

Arms flailing would be bonus.

LOL... It was probably the time differance b/w here and Honduras ... news broke over there at 3:00pm and it was after 5:00pm here... you know after business hours! :D

Pookie
12-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Last time I checked you could overquota on domestics, but not internationals... There's nothing saying you can't have more domestics

True, that's why I said "generally speaking." The idea being that the talent pool in Canada is not as deep as the international (or even US) market.

I would wager that most teams make use of their allocations (ours is 8 plus 5 US players) as the odds are that you will have good players in those slots.

Replacing Amado with a Canadian only makes sense to me if the Canadian is head and shoulders better than the next available international.

That said, who knows what the roster rules will look like after the 2010 CBA.

Pigfynn
12-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Thank you Amado...after all that was said about you before you even kicked a ball for us, you were a always a great professional...Thank you for the memories!!!!!!!!!

FluSH
12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
You know... I really feel like crap right now. I knew this was coming and even posted about the fact that Amado needed to start looking at retirement options... you know coaching or commentating after his playing days are over...

Anyhow... I still feel like crap about this soooooooooooooo:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=19108

^^
Think of the good news boys...

Bloor West FC
12-16-2009, 09:17 PM
I predict Velez will be gone... who in the world is going to translate for him?

Velez is still with us? :( WTF

Will miss Amado, he was good to watch. As long as we are getting better I am happy. But to Amado Thank You!!!

Yohan
12-16-2009, 09:24 PM
kz6fU1_fl7w
LBpBfFCYn_U

kinda bummed I can't find guevara's brace vs montreal

TFCRegina
12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
There's no Montreal Miracle videos up on youtube from what I could see, I was a little choked.

Shakes McQueen
12-16-2009, 09:35 PM
There's no Montreal Miracle videos up on youtube from what I could see, I was a little choked.

I still have the whole game saved on my PVR :)

- Scott

onemanbarmyarmy
12-16-2009, 09:47 PM
The Jersey Jinx continues. Well here comes a new Jersey. Who is leaving next.

Hitcho
12-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Great player for TFC, sorry to see him go, but good luck with your new club and in the WC Amigo. I'll be rooting for Honduras to make the knock out stages now! :D

Red CB Toronto
12-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Amado was a class act while he was here. I will never forget the couple of multi-goal games he had at BMO.

One my favourite stories involving him was during the last reserve game of the year in 2008. With it hovering around a sub zero temp and dark outside, he was in the east stands, showing his support for the young players on the Reds. He was so cold that a few fellow fans lent him a hat, gloves and scarf while he was there, even with his South American blood, he stuck it out.

Yagbod
12-16-2009, 10:07 PM
How about using his cap space to help get Conner Casey? Have there been any updates after his tirade about wanting out of Colorado?

I know we need a CB more, but he would be treat to watch.

kitchener-TFC
12-16-2009, 10:07 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed watching Amado play for Toronto. He will be missed. Best of luck this summer!

Keyman
12-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Amado is one of, if not the most talented player we've seen play for Toronto, it was definitely a treat to have him play for our club. He will be missed.

It was, however, a necessary move. Hopefully De Guzman shifts up into a more attacking role, where I think he could sufficiently fill the void left by Amado.

sulfur
12-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Velez is still with us?
He's been gone since we lost out of the CL against Puerto Rico.

Redcoe15
12-16-2009, 10:36 PM
No suprise there. He and Preki wern't eye to eye when they both were with Chivas USA. Plus, there's his commitment to the Honduras NT as they prepare for their first trip to the World Cup in eons, hence the move back home. That means a lot to someone like Guevara.

Still, it's sad to see him go. He was all class during his time with TFC. Lets hope JDG can fill his boots up nicely.

Stryker
12-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Damn. I honestly think this is the best thing for our team as his salary should help to bolster some of our weaker areas but I will still miss Amado alot.
El Lobo was was both our most skilled player and my personal favorite until De Ro joined the team. I wish him great success with his new team and hope he builds fantastic memories for himself with his world cup run.

Damien
12-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Guevara along with DeRo and Eusebio are the best to ever grace a Toronto uniform.

Dichio's a legend.

Cashcleaner
12-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Sorry to see him go if the news is true. I think we all knew it would have simply been a matter of time once Preki was signed, though.

Thanks, Amado. You made me believe in corner kicks again.

manic.street.preacher
12-17-2009, 01:53 AM
not really surprised, but my heart just broke a little ... the kids that i take care of sing the Guevara song whenever i get a bit homesick :)

ginkster88
12-17-2009, 02:22 AM
Guevara along with DeRo and Eusebio are the best to ever grace a Toronto uniform.

Dichio's a legend.

Wait, what? I'm confused.

FluSH
12-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Velez is still with us? :( WTF

Will miss Amado, he was good to watch. As long as we are getting better I am happy. But to Amado Thank You!!!

Shit... did I really say Velez?? I meant Vitti... Velez probably speaks better English than Spanish...

Fort York Redcoat
12-17-2009, 08:33 AM
I'll miss singing his name for corners. He seemed to like that.

CoachGT
12-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Guevara is amongst the most talented players to wear the uniform. His determination carried us through many games and his absence in others was noticeable. I'm glad that he'll be preparing for the world cup in his home country and leading his team in South Africa. All the best to him in his future.

brad
12-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Wait, what? I'm confused.

He played for the Blizzard.

Oldtimer
12-17-2009, 08:40 AM

Not true, really. There is a maximum on how many international players you have. There is no maximum on the number of Canadians. You could theoretically field a 100% Canadian team. Unlikely, as we don't have deep enough a player pool.

Auzzy
12-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Shit... did I really say Velez?? I meant Vitti... Velez probably speaks better English than Spanish...

Oh, if Vitti was relying on Guevara to translate, would that have helped much? I didn't think Amado's English is very good.

I think that Daso speaks Spanish fairly well, and maybe Preki picked up a bit of Spanish as well while at Chivas? Plus now they've got Percovich, from Uruguay.

Mark in Ottawa
12-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Good luck to Amado both with his new club and the World Cup.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Very sorry to see Amado go, if it's indeed true.

Jamaicanadian
12-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Guevara is amongst the most talented players to wear the uniform. His determination carried us through many games and his absence in others was noticeable. I'm glad that he'll be preparing for the world cup in his home country and leading his team in South Africa. All the best to him in his future.

Yes Coach!
I feel the same way.
Didn't know much about him before he got here but he certainly won me over, and is one of my favourite TFC players. I'll be folowing the rest of his career with interest!!

Yohan
12-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Oh, if Vitti was relying on Guevara to translate, would that have helped much? I didn't think Amado's English is very good.

I think that Daso speaks Spanish fairly well, and maybe Preki picked up a bit of Spanish as well while at Chivas? Plus now they've got Percovich, from Uruguay.
that was one of things that irked me about Guevara. been playing in MLS since 2003 and still need a translator to speak English?

that, and his inconsistent effort. but man, he scored a lot of key goals though

drewski
12-17-2009, 09:25 AM
sad day for Toronto sports, losing two great players, Roy Halladay & Amado Guevara. Good luck to both of you in your future endeavours

FluSH
12-17-2009, 09:34 AM
that was one of things that irked me about Guevara. been playing in MLS since 2003 and still need a translator to speak English?

that, and his inconsistent effort. but man, he scored a lot of key goals though

I think it was more pride... There is something about him that told me he rather communicate in his native tongue

MUFC_Niagara
12-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I assume this has been posted already, but....

Amado Guevara Gone

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/399354

Seems as though TFC has botched the announcement somewhat.

JonO
12-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Me too. Gonna try catch him at a WC match if possible

GingerNinja
12-17-2009, 09:56 AM
I loved watching him kiss the badge while he ran over to the 112 corner to take the kicks.
I'm going to miss him a whole lot.
he was a determined animal out there, loved watching him play.

Broadview
12-17-2009, 09:59 AM
I'll miss him.

Might even pull for Honduras!

Lucky Strike
12-17-2009, 10:02 AM
I still have the whole game saved on my PVR :)

- Scott

I saved it as well, I have it on my computer in DIVX format.

So long Amado, you'll be missed!

jabbronies
12-17-2009, 10:03 AM
He was pure class the whole time he was here. That premadonna attitude everyone was afraid he would bring to the team never showed up here. In my eyes, he was always trying to play his hardest when he was on the field.

Huyton
12-17-2009, 10:48 AM
So will TFC get anything for him? Was he sold, did he not renew his contract? TFC just lost their most talented player...should we not get some compensation for that?

Darlofletch
12-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I'll miss guevara, but his salary can be used better elsewhere, so all in all it's not a huge blow.

But the longer this goes without any sort of official recognition form TFC, the angrier I get. he was one of our best players over the last 2 years, and despite the reputation that preceded him, no-one seems to have a bad word against him personality wise either.

I'm not saying it needs a full press conference, but an official statement, or something on the website would be the least they should be doing for him.

T.Reis
12-17-2009, 11:04 AM
So will TFC get anything for him? Was he sold, did he not renew his contract? TFC just lost their most talented player...should we not get some compensation for that?

I got a feeling that this was all agreed on before TFC even got Preki thus the move was so easy to make for Mo. He probably had it in his contract that if he played a certain amount of games last year his contract continues for TFC this next season but it had an out clause also cuz he probably had the intent on finishing his carrer in Honduras. He probably just took advantage of that out clause and I'm sure kept Mo up to date on that while he was talking to another club.

Makes since seeing as how he's a hero there and his mom is a politican, yata yata yata.

Anyway, I hope u guys (RBP) get some word along his way about how much we appreciated and enjoyed his time here.

dupont
12-17-2009, 01:10 PM
I'll miss Guevara but with the world cup coming up and Preki coming in, this news was expected and probably a good idea. My biggest fear is how TFC often cuts players and then doesn't add anyone new. I hope to see at least one significant signing before the season and not scrambling during the final days to add people like last year.

Keegan
12-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Good riddance amado

jk he had his moments!!

Stryker
12-18-2009, 11:05 AM
If you're a big Guevara fan then this pic really seems to tug at the ol heart strings. :(

http://www.rednationonline.ca/photos/Amado_Guevara.jpg

rocker
12-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Goodbye Amado. I will be watching you at the world cup.

Yohan
12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Goodbye Amado. I will be watching you at the world cup.
and your diving antics. that's going to be good for a few lulz

tlear
12-18-2009, 12:46 PM
I will be watching Honduras games because of Guevara, I always really enjoyed his style of play. Really hope he scores at WC too. Too bad TFC decided to dump him and we wont be able to welcome him back after WC, oh well, good luck to him in Honduras I am sure he will enjoy the WC and playing for his old club.

Honestly I wonder about Preki's man management skills if he could not make it work with a player like Guevara who for us seemed to do very well and did not cause any drama at all.