PDA

View Full Version : Tony Adams and Henry to Pink Cows?

Hitcho
12-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Didn't see this anywhere else:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2765436/How-dyou-like-them-apples.html

"Hand of Frog" :smilielol5:

Darlofletch
12-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I saw that somewhere yesterday, might have been on the score's footy blog links bit.

reading the sun eh? that's a bit distasteful

Adams wasn't exactly successful in england was he? I say let them bring him in, we all know that just because it's english , it's not necessarily good.

henry? well he'd probably be good over here. I'm sure new york's irish community would welcome him with open arms.

jloome
12-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Probably? Thierry Henry would score 30 in this league. He'd break Lassiter's record for a joke.

Serious step up in ability from any current MLS strikers. Keep in mind Juan Pablo Angel is considered one of the best strikers in the league, and when Henry was just peaking at Arsenal and leading the nation in scoring, Angel could hardly get a game at Villa.

Unless Henry has lost about nine gears, he'd demolish MLS and I pity the teams that don't get him. Same's probably true of Raul.

TFC07
12-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Probably? Thierry Henry would score 30 in this league. He'd break Lassiter's record for a joke.

Serious step up in ability from any current MLS strikers. Keep in mind Juan Pablo Angel is considered one of the best strikers in the league, and when Henry was just peaking at Arsenal and leading the nation in scoring, Angel could hardly get a game at Villa.

Unless Henry has lost about nine gears, he'd demolish MLS and I pity the teams that don't get him. Same's probably true of Raul.

Too bad we used our DP on JDG. :facepalm:

I think Raul (unlike Henry) would actually consider playing for TFC. Since he already came here last summer to play against us, he knows this is a great place to play soccer and one of best MLS markets to play for.

TFCRegina
12-10-2009, 11:40 PM

In the words of Bernard from Yes, Minister/Prime Minister:

The readers of the Sun don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits!

TFCRegina
12-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Too bad we used our DP on JDG. :facepalm:

I think Raul (unlike Henry) would actually consider playing for TFC. Since he already came here last summer to play against us, he knows this is a great place to play soccer and one of best MLS markets to play for.

It wasn't a particularly bad acquisition. It just wasn't a great one. We picked up a highly talented player at a position we were deep in.

We could have gotten ourselves a good winger or a striker and it would have made more impact, but JDG was not a bad acquisition by any means.

Super
12-11-2009, 12:00 AM
It wasn't a particularly bad acquisition. It just wasn't a great one. We picked up a highly talented player at a position we were deep in.

We could have gotten ourselves a good winger or a striker and it would have made more impact, but JDG was not a bad acquisition by any means.

What worries me is that JDG couldn't stop a bottom league team from scoring 5 goals against us when we had the play-offs within our grasp.

I honestly believe that only offensive midfielders (like Blanco) or strikers (like Angel) will be able to make a difference in this league. Defensive players - not at all.

DichioTFC
12-11-2009, 05:58 AM
What worries me is that JDG couldn't stop a bottom league team from scoring 5 goals against us when we had the play-offs within our grasp.

I think the credit for the defensive miscues still go to Cummins for the most part, he played a 3-5-2 when we only needed to win by one goal... hell, the way NYRB played before that game, one goal could've made the difference.

I honestly believe that only offensive midfielders (like Blanco) or strikers (like Angel) will be able to make a difference in this league. Defensive players - not at all.

Don't think Omar Gonzales had an impact on taking the Galaxy from 62 goals allowed last season to 31 this season? Defensive players are probably where the league as a whole could stand to improve.. especially considering that 19 year olds (Gonzales, Attakora) are league-wide standouts.

Hitcho
12-11-2009, 09:41 AM
I saw that somewhere yesterday, might have been on the score's footy blog links bit.

Adams wasn't exactly successful in england was he? I say let them bring him in, we all know that just because it's english , it's not necessarily good.

henry? well he'd probably be good over here. I'm sure new york's irish community would welcome him with open arms.

Hah - no, I never read the S*n, but I saw a link to the story on the BBC Sport rumours page and as implausible as it seems, thought it was worth posting.

Adams - he'd flop big time over here. Not a good enough coach and no way would he be able to deal with the roster restirctions and weird and wonderful MLS rules.

Henry - he'd rip the league apart if he could maintain the desire and quality (which I seriously doubt, we;ve seen with other formerly great players how MLS can just suck the will out of you because it's such a drop down in so many different ways) but I just cannot see him coming here.

Beckham had good reasons for wanting to join MLS - his missus wanted to be in LA, he had a soccer academy in LA which he planned on running after he retired, he had been ditched from the England set up completely by McClown so nothing to lose there and because of his image status he really thought he could leverage the league upwards and help to grow the sport in the US. None of that applies to Henry and I just cannot see why he'd want to come here and play in half empty stadia with NFL lines on the pitch in what's basically a crap league standard-wise.

brad
12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
What worries me is that JDG couldn't stop a bottom league team from scoring 5 goals against us when we had the play-offs within our grasp..

We were dreadful. You could have put Essien or Diarra in the middle of that park that game and it wouldn't have mattered.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-11-2009, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't take reports in the Sun at face value.

TFCRegina
12-11-2009, 10:04 AM
I think the credit for the defensive miscues still go to Cummins for the most part, he played a 3-5-2 when we only needed to win by one goal... hell, the way NYRB played before that game, one goal could've made the difference.

Don't think Omar Gonzales had an impact on taking the Galaxy from 62 goals allowed last season to 31 this season? Defensive players are probably where the league as a whole could stand to improve.. especially considering that 19 year olds (Gonzales, Attakora) are league-wide standouts.

Well, theoretically we could have played a 5-4-1, tied and we'd have advanced to playoffs...

We definitely should have had 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 but we didn't. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

The 3-5-2 has been exposed numerous times as being tactically inferior. It's good in a pinch, maybe for one half or so, but if you give a team time to adjust their tactics, it becomes a major liability.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-11-2009, 10:28 AM
5-4-1 actually doesn't necessarily have to be defensive, if you play a midfield diamond; it can be used to devestating effect by teams who have the ability to build from the back, a sweeper makes the first pass up the pitch in the middle and the wings are covered by attacking wing-backs. 5 at the back doesn't necessarily have to mean 5 stay-at-home centre backs.

Carts
12-11-2009, 11:40 AM

100% agree...

World Class strikers can change a game in this league - world class defenders, even the best in the world, can't stop an attack on their own...

In the MLS, using the DP slot on a defender or defensive midfielder is a mistake...

Its like Beckham, alone he can't fill the net, he needs that world class speed up front, and he has it in Donovan...

Carts...

ensco
12-11-2009, 11:43 AM

Guys of the stature of Raul or Henry are never, ever going to come to TFC. Ever.

They have millions and their sole interest is in an interesting lifestyle experience for them and their family. One they've probably been thinking about for a while. That means they want to go to the US, not Canada, and they want to go to New York, Los Angeles or Miami, not Dallas or Denver.