PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday, Dec.10

MUFC_Niagara
12-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Morning all. Lots of news this morning about Garber's visit to Montreal.

MLS sizing up Montreal

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/12/10/12104366-sun.html

Another Canadian Team in MLS?

http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091209&content_id=7782784&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Saputo meets with MLS commish

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/saputo-meets-with-mls-commish/article1394723/

denime
12-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Mornin'

A missing link in Today's News is :

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Oldtimer
12-10-2009, 08:13 AM
It's instinctive to know that Montreal in MLS would be massive. First for Montreal fans, but also for Toronto. Everyone needs a team that's a rival, and Montreal is Toronto's natural rival in any sport.

TFC_Junky
12-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Goal.com reporting that Chicago should be looking at Amado Guevara as a replacement to Blanco.

http://goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/12/09/1675779/chicago-fire-are-in-need-of-another-big-star

Maybe not totally TFC related but an interesting read none the less...

TFCRegina
12-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Mornin'

SUNHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

If you've seen the SSG today, you'd know why.

Fort York Redcoat
12-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Goal.com reporting that Chicago should be looking at Amado Guevara as a replacement to Blanco.

With McBride going the other way.:D He was supposed to be ours anyway.

But really I hope we can get something NOT from their midfield.

keem-o-sabi
12-10-2009, 09:10 AM
coed girl 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/) (oh my) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/) (definitely would not kick her out of bed for eating crackers).

scooter
12-10-2009, 09:16 AM
mornin tim

Roogsy
12-10-2009, 09:20 AM
If you've seen the SSG today, you'd know why.

What does this mean?

DavydMT
12-10-2009, 09:24 AM
good morning everyone.

Happy World Football Day!!!

i can't find anything is English about this, but based on the information from russain sites today is United Nations World Football Day.

Beach_Red
12-10-2009, 09:54 AM
It's instinctive to know that Montreal in MLS would be massive. First for Montreal fans, but also for Toronto. Everyone needs a team that's a rival, and Montreal is Toronto's natural rival in any sport.

Really?

In any sport? It was embarrassing growing up in Montreal in the 70's hearing about this supposed rivalry with the Leafs, a team not many people in Montreal cared about at all. We felt sorry for Leaf fans having this dead rivalry propped up. We'd already moved on to Boston and then the Nordiques.

When one team loses interest in the rivalry the other side looks like some pathetic guy who got dumped and he's still moaning about his ex.

It might work for a while in soccer but don't be surprised if Montreal develops a rivalry with someone else.

Menelaos
12-10-2009, 10:05 AM
I'd love for the Fire to take Guevara

Roogsy
12-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Really?

In any sport? It was embarrassing growing up in Montreal in the 70's hearing about this supposed rivalry with the Leafs, a team not many people in Montreal cared about at all. We felt sorry for Leaf fans having this dead rivalry propped up. We'd already moved on to Boston and then the Nordiques.

When one team loses interest in the rivalry the other side looks like some pathetic guy who got dumped and he's still moaning about his ex.

It might work for a while in soccer but don't be surprised if Montreal develops a rivalry with someone else.

I disagree. The 70s came right after the 60s did they not? Where the Leafs dominated the Habs.

So yeah, the Leafs sucked through the 70s, (and the 80s) but I highly doubt that Habs fans "forgot" so easily the rivalry of the previous 20 years.

I do realize some of the current "rivalry" is manufactured, by the broadcaster and the league. But at the end of the day, having been usurped by Toronto years ago as Canada's biggest and most important city, Montreal has had a hard-on for Toronto ever since. They are constantly comparing themselves to us, not just in sport. And we in Toronto gladly take the bait since we have no natural rivals either.

So while I do agree that these days, the hockey rivalry with Montreal mostly lies to their south in the form of the Bruins, the plain fact is that in soccer, this rivalry would be pretty easily maintained, especially with the NCC.

Beach_Red
12-10-2009, 10:34 AM
I disagree. The 70s came right after the 60s did they not? Where the Leafs dominated the Habs.

So yeah, the Leafs sucked through the 70s, (and the 80s) but I highly doubt that Habs fans "forgot" so easily the rivalry of the previous 20 years.

I do realize some of the current "rivalry" is manufactured, by the broadcaster and the league. But at the end of the day, having been usurped by Toronto years ago as Canada's biggest and most important city, Montreal has had a hard-on for Toronto ever since. They are constantly comparing themselves to us, not just in sport. And we in Toronto gladly take the bait since we have no natural rivals either.

So while I do agree that these days, the hockey rivalry with Montreal mostly lies to their south in the form of the Bruins, the plain fact is that in soccer, this rivalry would be pretty easily maintained, especially with the NCC.

No, the Leafs never dominated. They won a couple of Cups but even '67 was a surprise (it would be similar to RSL's win this year, you couldn't really say they dominated), it was the last gasp of something already fading. The Leafs never really had a year where they dominated the league from start to finish.

Then expansion came along and changed the NHL in a big way.

Now, yes, you're right that sometimes Montreal seems silly trying to say they don't care about no longer being the financial centre of Canada, and trying to claim that they're more concerned with culture and all that and saying they actually built what they have now on their own and Toronto is really just an American branch-plant. And when Quebec tries to claim it is culturally so different and not really "Canadian" at all it gets a little tiresome. And yet, it is different...

You may be right, it may be good for the sport and the teams involved, but often these rivalries don't seem as good as the people so heavily invested in them make them out to be.

And the minute the rivalry becomes one-sided you've got to drop it.

DOMIN8R
12-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Emmanuel Gomez and Nana Attakora need to be promoted to first choice center backs since Adrian Serioux and Nick Garcia both suffer from a lack of pace and lapses in concentration the team can ill afford from veterans of their ilk. Gomez and Nana possess all the physical attributes required in a solid central defensive pairing and given regular playing time should gel into a formidable unit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=goal_toronto_fc_what&prov=goal&type=lgns

DOMIN8R
12-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Sounders, supporters still hashing out what Alliance democracy will look like

There were strong feelings surrounding some of the comments I was sent. Some council members even felt a bit "used" at the whole Alliance idea, in what they were growing to see as merely a media ploy to keep Drew Carey on the front pages. Was this a true democacy? If so, why hadn't the group ever met face to face? Why did communications with the front office seem like they might be disappearing into a 'black hole?' Where was the year-end Alliance meeting where fans could voice concerns to the owners?

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-413-Seattle-Soccer-Examiner~y2009m12d8-Sounders-supporters-still-hashing-out-what-Alliance-democracy-will-look-like

CretanBull
12-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I think a soccer rivalry is unavoidable between Montreal on Toronto because there's already from friction there (historical, political, cultural reasons). Every team needs a rival, I don't think any of us really care about the fabricated Columbus rivalry. Fuck the Trilium Cup, put some silveware on the line for the Toronto-Montreal series.

As for hockey, I agree with Beach Red. I don't think the Toronto-Montreal rivalry - which was there - was never as big of a deal in the minds of Montrealers as it was here. My dad grew up hating Detroit. I grew up hating Boston. The Leafs and Habs each won 4 Cups in the 60's, and the only real friction comes from Montreal's embarassing loss in '67...before that could really develope expansion and re-alignment changed the league. The Leafs then entered a 25 year long dark era where Montreal completely forgot about Toronto.

As a kid the Leafs barely registered in my mind...I looked forward to playing them more than say the North Stars, but the dates of the games weren't circled on my calendar like Bruins & Nordiques games were. My dad and uncle split season tickets when I was growing up, we'd fight over who got the Bruins/Nordiques games...I don't even remember a discussion about a Leafs game. Once the Bruins/Nordiques games were fought over, it was "If you get to see the Islanders, I get to see the Oilers".

I don't think the rivalry was really sparked again until Pat Burns quite the Habs and was hired by the Leafs on the same day ('91? '92?) and the Leafs were a resurected team under him. It's been good fun ever since, but personally I still don't hate the Leafs.

When Montreal played their 100th annivesary game, they chose the Bruins to play it against...I think that says it all. With 100 years to look back on, its Bruins who stand out as our biggest rivals.

T.Reis
12-10-2009, 11:07 AM
I wonder what the relationship is like between Mo and Chicago's front office if they were to start talking about a deal for Amado. It seemed like it got a little nasty when it was time to trade the rights for McBride.

Roogsy
12-10-2009, 11:11 AM
You may be right, it may be good for the sport and the teams involved, but often these rivalries don't seem as good as the people so heavily invested in them make them out to be.

And the minute the rivalry becomes one-sided you've got to drop it.

True...but I don't think it's one-sided yet. While the Leafs/Habs is somewhat manufactured, the underlying sentiment still exists. Shoot...all you have to do is look at the national poll took a few weeks ago regarding "who is Canada's hockey team" and see that the two leading contenders, with nobody else even close, were Toronto and Montreal. These are undenaible facts.

Couple that with the "cultural war" between the two cities and there simply is no way to deny that the two cities have a personal interest in these rivalries. I was there in Montreal the first game ever in the NCC, and believe me, Montreal fans were FAR more interested in the rivalry than we were, to the point where they had literally worked themselves up into a frenzy.

Whatever the reason...the rivalry is there plain as day. To take the Leaf/Habs rivalry as the only evidence in this matter is to limit yourself from the evidence available.

Redcoe15
12-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Mornin'

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)
A missing link in more ways than one. :ack2:

As for Guevara, he's been very good playing for Toronto FC. But, with Preki coming in as coach, perhaps its better to find a new home for him, lest there's any tension between the two from their time together in Chivas.

Beach_Red
12-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I think a soccer rivalry is unavoidable between Montreal on Toronto because there's already from friction there (historical, political, cultural reasons). Every team needs a rival...

Well, I think a rivalry is a lame substitution for a Championship - but if it's what we ask for, it's what we'll get. MLSE are masters at that, they're trying to manufacture one with Columbus and they'll be thrilled to give us one with Montreal. But I don't think it's something the very top teams need and I'd like TFC to be a top team. For the Canadiens it meant nothing "losing" its rivalry with Toronto. Those arrogant Habs fans always felt above all that crap anyway ;), like Yankees fans. Rivals come and go, Championships are what matters.

Oldtimer
12-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow. Hasn't anyone read Roch Carrier's "The Hockey Sweater?"

The whole point of that was that a Quebec boy was accidentally sent a Leafs jersey by the Toronto store Eaton's, and the ridicule of wearing a hated rival's jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hockey_Sweater

The story takes place in the 1940's. Of course the rivalry was very real. It may be less important now-a-days, but if the Leafs ever were competitive again, it would flare up for sure.

Dunkers
12-10-2009, 11:24 AM
No, the Leafs never dominated. They won a couple of Cups but even '67 was a surprise (it would be similar to RSL's win this year, you couldn't really say they dominated), it was the last gasp of something already fading. The Leafs never really had a year where they dominated the league from start to finish.

I dont want to turn this into a hockey debate, but from 62-69 the only 2 winners of the stanley cup were the Leafs with 4 and Montreal with 3. Thats nothing like RSL...common

CretanBull
12-10-2009, 11:26 AM
We're not saying that the rivalry isn't real, only that it isn't nearly as heated from a Montreal perspective. Montreal-Boston have played each other more times than any other 2 teams in NHL history, they've played more play-off series against each other than any other 2 teams NHL history...that's what breeds rivalry. Then there was the Richard Riot (1955), that might be the date when we stopped caring about all other rivals and focused all of our hate on the Bruins.

As a Habs fan, I go to Leaf games as often as I can and I occasionally will watch the games on TV. I wouldn't be caught dead at a Bruins game unless it was vs. Montreal.

CretanBull
12-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I dont want to turn this into a hockey debate, but from 62-69 the only 2 winners of the stanley cup were the Leafs with 4 and Montreal with 3. Thats nothing like RSL...common

I think he was suggesting that the Leafs upsetting Montreal in '67 was like the RSL upsetting the Galaxy in that neither the Leafs or RSL dominated the season, yet still walked away with the trophy.

Beach_Red
12-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Wow. Hasn't anyone read Roch Carrier's "The Hockey Sweater?"

The whole point of that was that a Quebec boy was accidentally sent a Leafs jersey by the Toronto store Eaton's, and the ridicule of wearing a hated rival's jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hockey_Sweater

The story takes place in the 1940's. Of course the rivalry was very real. It may be less important now-a-days, but if the Leafs ever were competitive again, it would flare up for sure.

No, no one has read Roch Carrier in years.

Actually I have that book and I read it to my kids. It's hard to explain to them what's going on, but it's a good look at 70 years ago.

And right now you could say maybe the rivalry would flare up if the Canadiens were competitive. Or maybe they both need to be competitive, or... something.

No, the league is just too different from the days of six teams and only two of them Canadian. That ad the Leafs are running about them having "six home arenas" is a joke.

It'll work a little in soccer because Montreal is easy to get to but I sure ope we don't spend years with two mid-table teams more worried about each other than the championship.

Miko
12-10-2009, 11:38 AM
In ex-MLS coaching news...

Mariner in as Manager of Plymouth Argyle

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/argyle/Sturrock-s-reign/article-1592120-detail/article.html

Supporters groups message boards are talking about John Carver as favourite to join him as assistant.

Beach_Red
12-10-2009, 11:45 AM
I think he was suggesting that the Leafs upsetting Montreal in '67 was like the RSL upsetting the Galaxy in that neither the Leafs or RSL dominated the season, yet still walked away with the trophy.

Yes, that's it. The Leafs weren't the favourite going into the playoffs. I don't think they were ever often the favourites. Did they ever finish the season in first place out of the six teams? For a lot of people on this board and the way they feel about the playoffs and how it's more important to "win the league," it's not a good sign.

But really, I just think that the importance of a rivalry is overblown - it's something we just seem to accept. I can see it in the early days, maybe, but as the league matures it's really something we could grow out of.

Fort York Redcoat
12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Yes, that's it. The Leafs weren't the favourite going into the playoffs. I don't think they were ever often the favourites. Did they ever finish the season in first place out of the six teams? For a lot of people on this board and the way they feel about the playoffs and how it's more important to "win the league," it's not a good sign.

But really, I just think that the importance of a rivalry is overblown - it's something we just seem to accept. I can see it in the early days, maybe, but as the league matures it's really something we could grow out of.

Grow out of rivalries? Quoi? We don't all accept rivalries as if they must be tolerated as some contrived propaganda. We enjoy, revel in them. Stop putting sanddust in my sandwich.

and who you talkin' 'bout "winning the league"? Name names BR.:D

gtaguy
12-10-2009, 12:16 PM
More News... This time Goal.com. Toronto FC 2009 what went wrong?.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/12/10/1678971/toronto-fc-what-happened-in-2009

DOMIN8R
12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
^^^^ Same article as Yahoo Sports by Talha Zaheer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=goal_toronto_fc_what&prov=goal&type=lgns

Beach_Red
12-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Grow out of rivalries? Quoi? We don't all accept rivalries as if they must be tolerated as some contrived propaganda. We enjoy, revel in them. Stop putting sanddust in my sandwich.

and who you talkin' 'bout "winning the league"? Name names BR.:D

You're just being manipulated by marketers who are exploiting something that was once real and isn't anymore. Rivalries are a consolation prize for teams that can't deliver the real thing.

And I'd name names but there are too many of you (not that you're onto something or anything... ;)).

Fort York Redcoat
12-10-2009, 12:37 PM
You're just being manipulated by marketers who are exploiting something that was once real and isn't anymore.

I try to keep my reality flexible. Almost fluid.

Except when it comes to playoffs.

Oldtimer
12-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Beach-Red, I'm not going to dispute that your perspective is that the Leafs-Habs rivalry is not that important, or that you may know other people who feel that way. What I will say is that of the Montrealers and ex-Montrealers I know, it's massive.

Roogsy
12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
More News... This time Goal.com. Toronto FC 2009 what went wrong?.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/12/10/1678971/toronto-fc-what-happened-in-2009

Pretty much bang on.

Carts
12-10-2009, 12:52 PM
When Montreal played their 100th annivesary game, they chose the Bruins to play it against...I think that says it all. With 100 years to look back on, its Bruins who stand out as our biggest rivals.

That is an excellent point...

They even talked about it on the TSN Leafs/Habs broadcast - half the panel said Boston / half said Toronto...

Regardless, in the MLS Toronto and Montreal will have an instant rivalry because of a number of things:
1. Proximity - we're close, supporters will travel, tensions will run high.
2. Culture - English vs French, the new economic centre vs the old.
3. History - that being the Leafs/Habs, and MTL stopping TFC's first ever trophy try in the CC.
4. (for me personally) I sit next to a transplanted Montrealer who basically HATES everything in Toronto, around Toronto, or associated with Toronto (honestly dude move home!), and thinks everything in Montreal was built by God himself (yes, this guy defended how "good" the Big-O is...seriously!)

Carts...

tfcleeds
12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Yes, for those saying that Montrealers don't care as much about the Habs/Leafs rivalry, fair enough. But ex-Montrealers who live here is definitely another story, with the exception of CB and BR I guess.

Suds
12-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Or, the thought of having thousands of Leafs fans descend on the Bell Centre and cheering like mad on the 100 anniversary game was not what they would have wanted.

I did a quick informal poll with some co-workers who are Habs fans and asked who they think is their biggest rival. Majority said Leafs most hated/rivalry. Some mentioned Boston and a few others (not scientific I know).

jloome
12-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I think a soccer rivalry is unavoidable between Montreal on Toronto because there's already from friction there (historical, political, cultural reasons). Every team needs a rival, I don't think any of us really care about the fabricated Columbus rivalry. Fuck the Trilium Cup, put some silveware on the line for the Toronto-Montreal series.

As for hockey, I agree with Beach Red. I don't think the Toronto-Montreal rivalry - which was there - was never as big of a deal in the minds of Montrealers as it was here. My dad grew up hating Detroit. I grew up hating Boston. The Leafs and Habs each won 4 Cups in the 60's, and the only real friction comes from Montreal's embarassing loss in '67...before that could really develope expansion and re-alignment changed the league. The Leafs then entered a 25 year long dark era where Montreal completely forgot about Toronto.

As a kid the Leafs barely registered in my mind...I looked forward to playing them more than say the North Stars, but the dates of the games weren't circled on my calendar like Bruins & Nordiques games were. My dad and uncle split season tickets when I was growing up, we'd fight over who got the Bruins/Nordiques games...I don't even remember a discussion about a Leafs game. Once the Bruins/Nordiques games were fought over, it was "If you get to see the Islanders, I get to see the Oilers".

I don't think the rivalry was really sparked again until Pat Burns quite the Habs and was hired by the Leafs on the same day ('91? '92?) and the Leafs were a resurected team under him. It's been good fun ever since, but personally I still don't hate the Leafs.

Agreed. I spent my schools years in the Eastern townships and it was strictly the hated Nordiques and then the equally hated Bruins. The leafs were so bad for so long that they dropped off the radar.

Beach_Red
12-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Beach-Red, I'm not going to dispute that your perspective is that the Leafs-Habs rivalry is not that important, or that you may know other people who feel that way. What I will say is that of the Montrealers and ex-Montrealers I know, it's massive.

Okay, let's try this. Do you think there's a French-English rivalry between Montreal and Toronto?

For a lot of English Montrealers (especially as we see, the ones who've moved here and aren't happy about it - personally I didn't leave Montreal till I was in my thirties and ready to leave and I love Toronto, but I do know plenty of ex-Montrealers who won't shut up about it ;)) that was/is the rivalry but I think it's manufactured or a more recent thing that it's French-English.

Before expansion for the Quebecois all five of the other teams were "English." If you were from Quebec, you played for Montreal. If you were from somewhere else in Canada you played for one of the five English teams. It didn't matter much in Quebec that Toronto is in Canada and Detroit is in the USA, they were both completely filled with English-Canadian players.

And a big part of the Quiet Revolution in Quebec was the Quebecois overcoming a sense of inferiority in Canada (that we could take to off-topic, it might be fun, but maybe not). Now that they've done that - and players on every team are from all over the world - these kinds of rivalries aren't that important.

There was a time the rivalries were even important to the players but eventually they figured out that as it was their job it was business.

I can see where the marketing department wants to have a rivalry - it does most of their job for them - but nowadays these rivalries are never symbiotic (oh yeah, I used that word - you can thank Dave Winfield for getting me to look it up) - one side always cares more than the other and I just think they look kind of pathetic. It's how we treat anyone form Columbus who thinks we have a rivalry with them.

DOMIN8R
12-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Report: Raul Possibly Headed To MLS This Summer

The Real Madrid legend may be on his way to the USA.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/12/10/1679104/report-raul-possibly-headed-to-mls-this-summer

Will there be a second DP allocation with the Collective Bargain? He would be great at BMO.

CretanBull
12-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Or, the thought of having thousands of Leafs fans descend on the Bell Centre and cheering like mad on the 100 anniversary game was not what they would have wanted.

Have you ever seen a Montreal-Boston game? Boston is closer to Montreal than Toronto is, and trust me Bruins hate Montreal as much as we hate them.

I did a quick informal poll with some co-workers who are Habs fans and asked who they think is their biggest rival. Majority said Leafs most hated/rivalry. Some mentioned Boston and a few others (not scientific I know).

I'd guess that these people are either younger (people who started following hockey in the early 90's) or people who enjoy the rivalry because they're from Toronto or live in Toronto. If you took that same poll in Montreal maybe 2 out of 10 might say Toronto.

Suds
12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I'd guess that these people are either younger (people who started following hockey in the early 90's) or people who enjoy the rivalry because they're from Toronto or live in Toronto. If you took that same poll in Montreal maybe 2 out of 10 might say Toronto.

Yeah, only one of the people I asked were originally from Quebec. So that may be why I got the answers I did.

ensco
12-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry Leafs fans, but it really has been over for a very long time.

Habs fans don't actually think in terms of rivalries. They basically care only about their own team, to a semi-insane degree, and they do want to see whoever is good, so for most of the last 40 years the Bruins have been a top team and a frequent playoff opponent, that's why the Bruins matter a bit, but trust me, it wasn't (and isn't) the case that Bruins-Habs games in Montreal command a big premium in the secondary market.

When the Bruins sucked earlier in the decade, no one in Montreal thought the Bruins games were anything special.

Boston, Philly (they have played the Habs in the playoffs quite a few times), Pittsburgh when they've had Lemieux or Crosby, and the Leafs all are considered good games, but no different than anywhere else in the league really, those are good games in every ciry. Leafs are not appreciably a better rival than any of the others.

The exception was the Nordiques. That was a true rivalry.

The only thing changing is that both Montreal and Toronto really get more travelling support in games involving both, which really livens it up if you are there. But it's not a Leafs-Habs thing, it's true for any game involving Toronto or Montreal and any of Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

Roogsy
12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
and thinks everything in Montreal was built by God himself (yes, this guy defended how "good" the Big-O is...seriously!)

Then he's definitely a Montrealer...they're deluded beyond reality. :D

ManUtd4ever
12-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I have to say that the Leafs-Habs rivalry is still alive and well. The atmosphere at the Bell Centre is still more electric for a Leaf game than a game against any other club including Boston. As for the ACC, one of the few times the crowd has a pulse is when the Habs are in town...

It is an absolute no brainer to grant Montreal an MLS franchise. TFC and Montreal would instantly provide of the the strongest rivalries in the league...

gtaguy
12-10-2009, 07:17 PM
I have to say that the Leafs-Habs rivalry is still alive and well. The atmosphere at the Bell Centre is still more electric for a Leaf game than a game against any other club including Boston. As for the ACC, one of the few times the crowd has a pulse is when the Habs are in town...

It is an absolute no brainer to grant Montreal an MLS franchise. TFC and Montreal would instantly provide of the the strongest rivalries in the league...

agreed .. the eastern standings require good balanced rivalry specially considering that the west in the next two years will have portland, vancouver, san jose, los angeles , etc... Time to form a good balance in the east where geographically were close yet were distances away and what better way to even it off with having montreal within distance of toronto , newyork ,columbus and philidelphia..

jloome
12-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Fans in England now saying Carver has already been hired as his number two and will be on the sideline with Marriner on Saturday.