PDA

View Full Version : Moment of Silence for Brian Budd on Saturday

Jack
06-12-2008, 08:16 PM
There will be a moment of silence on Saturday before the game to honour the passing of Budgie. Please respect this moment of silence with class.

Kooper
06-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Nice, my rec team had a moments silence before our game and it was fitting tribute to the man. Everyone knew who he was and he will be missed by the canadian soccer community.

Raging Reggie
06-12-2008, 08:34 PM
its good to hear, very sad and shocking news :(

James Oliphant
06-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Just posted this on The Score's footy blog:

"Toronto FC will hold a moment of silence for Mr. Budd at Saturday's game. If you're in attendance, please respect it. Budgie was a football legend both for his country and his hometown."

Heathen
06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
A minutes silence is the least he should expect but it'd be nice if the devoted football fans amongst us who maybe met him or watched him regularly gave an appropriate tribute. I remember during the Utd v City game on the anniversary of Munich the Man City fans sang "There's only one Frank Swift" for 2 or 3 minutes, sent a shiver up the spine that did. FYI for those who don't know Frank Swift was a City legend who died in the Munich disaster while working as a journalist.

SilverSamurai
06-12-2008, 10:22 PM
A minutes silence is the least he should expect but it'd be nice if the devoted football fans amongst us who maybe met him or watched him regularly gave an appropriate tribute. I remember during the Utd v City game on the anniversary of Munich the Man City fans sang "There's only one Frank Swift" for 2 or 3 minutes, sent a shiver up the spine that did. FYI for those who don't know Frank Swift was a City legend who died in the Munich disaster while working as a journalist.

I think that would be good.
Even cheering for him like crazy when they announce his name or after the silence.
I don't know the dude, w/ the exception of what I saw on the Score, but you could tell he wanted the game to grow here and was passionate about it.

andyc
06-12-2008, 10:28 PM
This is great news. He certainly deserves this respect from both the club and the fans.

J .
06-12-2008, 10:30 PM
God bless his soul

Daveisonfire
06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
I think Budgie would have liked us to cheer as loud as possible for a minute instead

andyc
06-12-2008, 10:35 PM
^^^ Yeah I think you're right

Roogsy
06-12-2008, 10:46 PM
We can do that after the moment of silence...at least the moment of silence also shows respect for his wife and kids.

Keyman
06-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Maybe we can have a chant for him, like someone said?

There's only one Brian Bu-uud
One of Canada's best, sadly laid to rest
Budgie you're a legend, yes you are

J .
06-12-2008, 10:58 PM
It would be nice if there could be some sort of dedication of the game to Brian Budd.

Raging Reggie
06-12-2008, 11:00 PM
^^^ that is a cool idea, or you could do the Marco Polo/Marco Velez thing...Brian Budd, back and forth in the south end...would be much simpler and easier for everyone

BBKING
06-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Guys I have an idea, how about at the 56th minute since he was 56 we all start chanting Budgie.

Roogsy
06-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Too much to ask for a last minute thing. But if some people get it going it may catch on.

I am just not sure how I feel about it happening DURING the game since he was not a TFC player or employee. Before the game I think is probably the most approrpiate.

Daveisonfire
06-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Too much to ask for a last minute thing. But if some people get it going it may catch on.

I am just not sure how I feel about it happening DURING the game since he was not a TFC player or employee. Before the game I think is probably the most approrpiate.

I agree, right after the moment of silence would be perfect

andyc
After the minutes silence is probably the simplest and most effective...

J .

Yeah, but he still was a major advocate of the game and we are in a way in a direct lineage of what he has done in the past. Also he did play for Toronto in NASL.

Raging Reggie
06-12-2008, 11:14 PM
so right after the minute of silence, BRIAN!!! BUDD!! BRIAN!!! BUDD!!

greatwhitenorf
06-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Why not remake the Earth, Wind and Fire classic - BUDGIE WONDERLAND!!

ilikemusic
06-13-2008, 12:52 AM
I think Budgie would have liked us to cheer as loud as possible for a minute instead

He definitely would :canada:

masrawy
06-13-2008, 01:39 AM
so right after the minute of silence, BRIAN!!! BUDD!! BRIAN!!! BUDD!!

A cross stadium rendition of that would be a fitting tribute, no? Shouldn't be difficult to pull off, we'll hold it until kick off.

Canadian Blue
06-13-2008, 06:19 AM
not chanting......a minute of silence is the supreme show of respect from the loudest stadium in MLS

tfc_4_ever
06-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Maybe we can have a chant for him, like someone said?

One of Canada's best, sadly laid to rest
Budgie you're a legend, yes you are

perfect but maybe substitute bu-uud to budgie

Shaughno
06-13-2008, 06:45 AM
not chanting......a minute of silence is the supreme show of respect from the loudest stadium in MLS

Agree to the fullest extent.

Carts
06-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Yes - a moment of silence is whats needed... Cheer or chant for him after...

There is something electric, yet respectful when 20,000 screaming fans ALL STOP for one minute...

It is the ultimate show of respect...

Carts...

cmonyoureds
06-13-2008, 08:18 AM
There's Only One Brian Budgie
There's Only One Brian Budgie

rocker
06-13-2008, 08:48 AM
silence for a minute, then chant his name.. do it right then. Cuz if you do the chant later half the people won't understand it. the acoustics don't always travel well around the stadium. But if it's done right after the minute of silence, everyone will know.

pimpslapt
06-13-2008, 09:00 AM
silence for a minute, then chant his name.. do it right then. Cuz if you do the chant later half the people won't understand it. the acoustics don't always travel well around the stadium. But if it's done right after the minute of silence, everyone will know.

that's the way to go, I'm in the UK and I'll be watching on mlslive but i seriuosly doubt they'll show the minute of silence, if one of you who'll be there could somehow catch it on video and post it here, i know i'd appreciate it and i'm sure a lot of others would to, cheers, budgie, you're a legend

Lenny Dikestra
06-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Nice to see people getting behind this .. Should be a nice tribute,..

My thoughts are with his family ..
RIP

Carts
06-13-2008, 09:23 AM

ABSOLUTELY...!!!

The first noise after the silence should be a united chant...

It would be magic - and a fitting tribute...

Carts...

Eastend
06-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I know a lot of ideas are being thrown aronud but I think a simple

Budgie
Budgie
Budgie

from after the minute of silence until kickoff or the national anthems would be simple and have the impact.

Puskas
06-13-2008, 09:44 AM
How about a streamer shower after the moment of silence?

TFC hammer
06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
There's only one Brian Budgie!

AL-MO
06-13-2008, 10:55 AM
We might get a simple tribute banner together as well for the moment of silence...

TOBOR !
06-13-2008, 11:23 AM
kinda short notice, but what about black armbands ?

Oblio2
06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
i think a minute of clapping is better. Still, Hope everyone respects the silence

Jack
06-13-2008, 11:47 AM
The moment of silence is already a go from the team.

After the moment of silence, chanting until kickoff is the way to go.

TOBOR !
06-13-2008, 12:39 PM
if you had one, would it go on the left or right arm (black armband) ?

canadian_bhoy
06-13-2008, 05:31 PM
After the minute of silence...people are being encouraged to cheer as loud as possible, the idea being that Budgie would want the fans to party

Also, let's hope they do this the right way (centre circle with referee blowing whistle)

Right way:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1150/1296750009_7fdd666f74.jpg?v=0

Wrong way:
http://www.thetrebletalk.com/photos/200504022037.jpg

AL-MO
06-13-2008, 05:57 PM
that's the way to go, I'm in the UK and I'll be watching on mlslive but i seriuosly doubt they'll show the minute of silence, if one of you who'll be there could somehow catch it on video and post it here, i know i'd appreciate it and i'm sure a lot of others would to, cheers, budgie, you're a legend

Calling Parkdale!

David_Oliveira
06-13-2008, 07:23 PM
how about:
There's only one Brian Budgie
only one Brian Budgie
Like me and you,
he loved the reds too
Walking in a Budgie wonderland

Del Boy
06-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Whatever is decided, better be soon so everyone who knows can pass it to their section. Wow, big clap of thunder and car alarms going off, Come on Budgie, give us a break, Man. I'm trying to type.

skypilot69
06-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Brian (Budgie) Budd, is a great Canadian, but more than that, a great human being!

I was fortunate enough to meet Budgie, and have had a number of chats with him over the last decade.
I moved to Toronto 11 years ago and found out that the place to go to watch footie (if you were a Liverpool supporter) was, “The Duke of Gloucester”. That’s where I met Budgie at an FA cup match.

Being a Liverpool supporter, I joined the Toronto Liverpool supporters club that day, and in the years since then, have enjoyed meeting with Budgie and the rest of our supporters for numerous matches, parties and functions including the Ron Yates, the Ian St John (The Saint) and the Bruce Grobbler nights. Each and every time Budgie was out with his fellow supporters and enjoying the moment and a good laugh. I don’t think I ever saw Budgie in a bad mood.

Growing up, I had seen Budgie play internationally for Canada and destroying all comers in a competition called “Superstars”. Budgie won the Superstars competition his first time out and three years in a row from 1978 to 1980. ABC network (the sponsers of the show) then invoked what I call the “Budgie Rule”. That meant that they didn’t want Budgie to continue to win this competition and the rule became, that “you could not come back to compete if you had previously won” because Budgie had won it three years on the trot. (I can’t help but thinking, if it had been a high profile American athlete, that they would not have changed the rules. But they didn’t like the idea of this “Canadian soccer player” putting their athletes to shame).

Budgie was always ready to talk about the sport he loved and the club he loved (Liverpool). I remember when his little boy was about a year old, Budgie brought the little lad out to a Liverpool match dressed in his first Liverpool kit. Budgie was so proud!

He had war stories to tell about when he met “Shanks” and Bob Paisley and you could see in his eyes just how much he enjoyed it. But when you talked with Budgie, he made you feel that you were talking with one of your mates. There was no airs about him. He was just a regular guy.

I know that no one enjoys sing a song that is the anthem of one of you rivals, but I think for Budgie it would be a great tribute to him if we could sing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” after the national anthem and remember a great Canadian and an even better person. Cause Budgie will Never Walk Alone!

Brian’s passing is a terrible loss for his family and all the rest of us and the world has lost a truly great person, a real nice guy.

YNWA Brian!

pimpslapt
06-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Brian (Budgie) Budd, is a great Canadian, but more than that, a great human being!

I was fortunate enough to meet Budgie, and have had a number of chats with him over the last decade.
I moved to Toronto 11 years ago and found out that the place to go to watch footie (if you were a Liverpool supporter) was, “The Duke of Gloucester”. That’s where I met Budgie at an FA cup match.

Being a Liverpool supporter, I joined the Toronto Liverpool supporters club that day, and in the years since then, have enjoyed meeting with Budgie and the rest of our supporters for numerous matches, parties and functions including the Ron Yates, the Ian St John (The Saint) and the Bruce Grobbler nights. Each and every time Budgie was out with his fellow supporters and enjoying the moment and a good laugh. I don’t think I ever saw Budgie in a bad mood.

Growing up, I had seen Budgie play internationally for Canada and destroying all comers in a competition called “Superstars”. Budgie won the Superstars competition his first time out and three years in a row from 1978 to 1980. ABC network (the sponsers of the show) then invoked what I call the “Budgie Rule”. That meant that they didn’t want Budgie to continue to win this competition and the rule became, that “you could not come back to compete if you had previously won” because Budgie had won it three years on the trot. (I can’t help but thinking, if it had been a high profile American athlete, that they would not have changed the rules. But they didn’t like the idea of this “Canadian soccer player” putting their athletes to shame).

Budgie was always ready to talk about the sport he loved and the club he loved (Liverpool). I remember when his little boy was about a year old, Budgie brought the little lad out to a Liverpool match dressed in his first Liverpool kit. Budgie was so proud!

He had war stories to tell about when he met “Shanks” and Bob Paisley and you could see in his eyes just how much he enjoyed it. But when you talked with Budgie, he made you feel that you were talking with one of your mates. There was no airs about him. He was just a regular guy.

I know that no one enjoys sing a song that is the anthem of one of you rivals, but I think for Budgie it would be a great tribute to him if we could sing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” after the national anthem and remember a great Canadian and an even better person. Cause Budgie will Never Walk Alone!

Brian’s passing is a terrible loss for his family and all the rest of us and the world has lost a truly great person, a real nice guy.

YNWA Brian!

i don't support liverpool in the slightest, but i think that is a really good idea......not sure if you'll get enough people on board for it in time but good luck with it

Boschmeister
06-14-2008, 04:20 AM
A true moment of silence is what is needed, not some half ass sip your beer stuff and hold your girlfriend garbage, but some good old fashioned respect where hats are removed and people shut their traps and stop moving for one minute.

Pigfynn
06-14-2008, 07:27 AM
If we want to be all class, then a respected moments silence is the way to go. As long as it's respected.

coisty1966
06-14-2008, 09:41 AM

definitley agree! minutes silences first, then a stadium full of people chanting his name would be the way to go in my book.

Budgie, RIP

Heathen
06-14-2008, 01:27 PM
definitley agree! minutes silences first, then a stadium full of people chanting his name would be the way to go in my book.

Budgie, RIP

I think this chant would be respectful and poignant...

"Budgie, There's only one Budgie, Thre's only one Budgie, Thre's only one Budgie"

like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvMHRyY_ZIM

NateDoGG
06-14-2008, 04:34 PM
There will be a moment of silence on Saturday before the game to honour the passing of Budgie. Please respect this moment of silence with class.

good. i was hoping they were goin to do that.

canadian_bhoy
06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Big Kudos to the Toronto FC front office for getting this one right.
Well done to the club, its supporters and everyone who helped to make banners.

Rip Budgie

After the minute of silence...people are being encouraged to cheer as loud as possible, the idea being that Budgie would want the fans to party

Also, let's hope they do this the right way (centre circle with referee blowing whistle)

Right way:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1150/1296750009_7fdd666f74.jpg?v=0

Wrong way:
http://www.thetrebletalk.com/photos/200504022037.jpg