PDA

View Full Version : Landy cakes to everton

STB
12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Apparently landy cakes is going to Everton:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/12/09/1677034/everton-close-to-agreeing-landon-donovan-loan-deal-report

Everton (http://goal.com/en-gb/teams/england/110/everton) are expected to sign USA international Landon Donovan on a three-month loan deal in January.

Dont know what Cahill will think as they are similar players....

tfcleeds
12-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Yet another reason for the Liverpool supporters to hate the Toffees, if true.

werewolf
12-09-2009, 02:12 PM
:rofl:

My heart goes out to Everton fans.

rocker
12-09-2009, 03:37 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/5413_105037205731_23120135731_21839.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
12-09-2009, 03:40 PM
trane?

JonO
12-09-2009, 03:57 PM
^^ in 3, 2, 1.... :p

MartinUtd
12-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I hope this is true, it'll be much more entertaining than him flailing and failing in Mexico.

Toronto_Bhoy
12-09-2009, 04:32 PM
This will be interesting…MLS MVP shops his wears in the EPL?

Toffee's will take a right roasting on the board but if your Moyes, why not? It'll cost you bugger all…and its obvious something needs shaken at Goodison…Everton are two point from the drop zone…FFS!

MartinUtd
12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Here's an interesting question for those who pay more attention than I...

Who would you rather have: Eddie Johnson or Landon Donovan?

111_DrummerBoy
12-09-2009, 04:47 PM
So this is like the Beckham gig?! Another blow to MLS credibility?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5761436,00.html

TFC USA
12-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Fuck Landycakes.

That is all.

rocker
12-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Landon for sure. Eddie Johnson is not nearly as skilled.... I always thought Johnson seemed like a great athlete without the refined skills. Sometimes he also seemed lazy. Landon is just as fast, if not faster, more skilled, has better vision, works hard etc.

If Landon didn't sniff his wrists before penalties or do funny photo shoots or act like a douchebag in interviews he'd be OK with me!!

ManUtd4ever
12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm not a big fan of Landycakes and his antics on the pitch but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays well at the premiership level with a far superior supporting cast. It's a worthwhile gamble for Everton given their situation...

Yeoman
12-09-2009, 08:11 PM
he looked terrible in germany when i saw him play.
just wasn't connecting with any of the playing at all.

tfc2007
12-09-2009, 08:25 PM
landy cakes sucks.
hes such a priss

menefreghista
12-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Landon Donavan is the best player in CONCACAF.

Just because he's a douchebag doesn't negate the fact.

werewolf
12-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Landon Donavan is the best player in CONCACAF.

Just because he's a douchebag doesn't negate the fact.

are you implying club or country?

menefreghista
12-09-2009, 09:35 PM
are you implying club or country?

Both.

Really which player in this region is better?

SilverSamurai
12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Both.

Really which player in this region is better?
WTF? You're out to lunch dude.
Their are PLENTY of better players in CONCACAF.

JDG played in La Liga.
Rafael Marquez also in La Liga, playing for Barcelona.
David Suazo, playing in Milan in Seria A.

Those ones I can think of off the top of my head. But best player in the US, ya, I'd say that's likely true. But CONCACAF, no. The Mexican squad alone has LOTS of better players.

He wasn't able to cut it in the Bundesliga, how would he be able to cut it in the EPL? But if he's able to do so this time, good for him.

TFCRegina
12-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Except Landy Cakes has consistently put up numbers and lead the US team. Everyone knocks Landon Donovan without ever recognizing the fact that he's a dominant force on the pitch when he plays his best. He is, undoubtedly, a better player than Julian De Guzman. Sorry I have to say it. He gets paid less than JDG for one reason alone, and that is he's never made that big jump.

But just because you've played in Europe does not mean you're better than a player who's spent most of his career in Major League Soccer. If that was the case Gerba would be better than 90% of the strikers in MLS, which he has yet to prove.

I would put Donovan as the best American player in history and as CONCACAF's current best player. He'd be without a doubt that player if the rest of the US side could play up to his level.

SilverSamurai
12-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Except Landy Cakes has consistently put up numbers and lead the US team. Everyone knocks Landon Donovan without ever recognizing the fact that he's a dominant force on the pitch when he plays his best. He is, undoubtedly, a better player than Julian De Guzman. Sorry I have to say it. He gets paid less than JDG for one reason alone, and that is he's never made that big jump.

But just because you've played in Europe does not mean you're better than a player who's spent most of his career in Major League Soccer. If that was the case Gerba would be better than 90% of the strikers in MLS, which he has yet to prove.

I would put Donovan as the best American player in history and as CONCACAF's current best player. He'd be without a doubt that player if the rest of the US side could play up to his level.
And why hasn't he made the jump? Because he's NOT good enough. Plain and simple.

Lets say for a min that Landycakes is better then JDG (who was voted as the best player on his club last year), how can you say Landycakes is better then Marquez, playing for arguably the best club in the world. :facepalm:

werewolf
12-09-2009, 09:57 PM
David Suazo, Wilson Palacios, Carlos Vela, Rafa Marquez, Gerardo Torrardo, Gio Dos Santos, Kenwyne Jones, Clint Dempsey, JDG, Ricardo Fuller.

menefreghista
12-09-2009, 11:07 PM
David Suazo, Wilson Palacios, Carlos Vela, Rafa Marquez, Gerardo Torrardo, Gio Dos Santos, Kenwyne Jones, Clint Dempsey, JDG, Ricardo Fuller.

Yup. He's a better player than all of these guys. Sorry. Don't get blinded by your hatred for him.

And to be quite honest, some of your choices are laughable.

menefreghista
12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
And why hasn't he made the jump? Because he's NOT good enough. Plain and simple.

Lets say for a min that Landycakes is better then JDG (who was voted as the best player on his club last year), how can you say Landycakes is better then Marquez, playing for arguably the best club in the world. :facepalm:

JDG was Deportivo's player of the year for the 07/08 season. You are living in the past. He could barely get on the pitch during the 08/09 season for them.

I'm talking about current form here, not 2 seasons ago.

Ladies Love Julius James
12-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Landy better than Kenweyne Jones?????????????? Child Please.

menefreghista
12-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Landy better than Kenweyne Jones?????????????? Child Please.

Is Jones going to play in next years World Cup?

Ladies Love Julius James
12-09-2009, 11:15 PM

hmmm what exactly is your arguement???? He comes from an island of 1.3 million people. Instead of wasting his time in MLS he's playing in the best league of the world developing a recognized partnership with Darren Bent but I won't be suprised if you don't know who that is.

menefreghista
12-09-2009, 11:17 PM
hmmm what exactly is your arguement???? He comes from an island of 1.3 million people. Instead of wasting his time in MLS he's playing in the best league of the world developing a recognized partnership with Darren Bent but I won't be suprised if you don't know who that is.

LOL. I know who Bent is.

I'm talking about club and country here. You're telling me Jones' 2 goals in 30 national team matches outshines Donavan?

Methinks somebody likes a player a lot simply because of his background.

TFCRegina
12-09-2009, 11:19 PM

Yeah, let's never mind the fact he got discouraged when he was younger, showed a little bit of brilliance in the few games he was used in recently on his loan (then was dropped when the manager changed, very very difficult to become accustomed to your new surroundings when you don't get to play) and has basically chosen to stay in MLS due to family concerns.

You picked on one part of something that was not really part of the argument and attacked it. Congratulations, you still have not addressed the fact that he's quality.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

By your logic, players like Gerba are better on the pitch than Donovan because they played in Europe for a significant period of time.

And JDG, I like that we have him, but he's simply not as good as Donovan.

If you gave me a choice between the two, I'd take Donovan any day of the week. He compelled the US to the final against Brazil and was the key instrument in all their wins, using his vision and creativity to create chances for the team.

You challenge his ability to compete at the highest level and I will challenge your football intelligence. You obviously do not watch the USMNT and have no appreciation for the role Donovan plays. Without Donovan, the USMNT wouldn't ever beat Mexico.

He has competed at the highest level, the international level, and has acquitted himself of your charges. Is he a douchebag? I don't think so, but you do. I actually like the player.

Don't let your hatred blind yourself to his skill.

Ladies Love Julius James
12-09-2009, 11:20 PM
LOL. I know who Bent is.

I'm talking about club and country here. You're telling me Jones' 2 goals in 30 national team matches outshines Donavan?

Methinks somebody likes a player a lot simply because of his background.

Your telling me that Donovan is a better player than Jones and I'm flabbergasted.

menefreghista
12-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Your telling me that Donovan is a better player than Jones and I'm flabbergasted.

I recommend you watch some USMNT games so you can have a more informed opinion. Than you can realize you are talking out of your ass.

Ladies Love Julius James
12-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm part American so I watch many USMNT games and the difference is that Landy has other players to play with. When Jones plays it's 1 vs 11

werewolf
12-09-2009, 11:26 PM

So if we are going by goals, then quite clearly Carlos Pavon and his 56 are better then landycakes 42.

By your logic, players like Gerba are better on the pitch than Donovan because they played in Europe for a significant period of time.

Gerba has played in England's division 3 and Norway. JDG played in the Bundesliga and La Liga, top leagues in the world.

FluSH
12-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Yup. He's a better player than all of these guys. Sorry. Don't get blinded by your hatred for him.

He's certainly not better than Dempsey or Dos Santos...

TFCRegina
12-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Gerba has played in England's division 3 and Norway. JDG played in the Bundesliga and La Liga, top leagues in the world.

If JDG was better than Donovan, why is he not on a 1st Div team in a Big Four league.

There's no First Div teams that have come knocking for him, which you cannot say the same for Donovan.

Oh and then there's that little bit about the fact that he came here because NOBODY WANTED HIM.

He said as much when he signed for TFC. He came to our club out of lack of European options.

menefreghista
12-09-2009, 11:30 PM
So if we are going by goals, then quite clearly Carlos Pavon and his 56 are better then landycakes 42.

I'm thinking more about current form, ie. what the player has accomplished in say the past year.

menefreghista
12-09-2009, 11:31 PM
He's certainly not better than Dempsey or Dos Santos...

He's more important to the USMNT than Dempsey, so I would consider him better.

As for Dos Santos, does he even play for his club?

werewolf
12-09-2009, 11:33 PM
If JDG was better than Donovan, why is he not on a 1st Div team in a Big Four league.

I am saying you are twisting the argument by including Gerba.

I'm thinking more about current form, ie. what the player has accomplished in say the past year.

...back to Kenwyne Jones...10 goals in the premiership last season, 5 in 12 games this year.

Ricardo Fuller scored 11 last season.

TFCRegina
12-09-2009, 11:33 PM

As for Dos Santos, I would rate him higher if he wasn't playing in the Championship (yes, I realize the irony of comparing that to the MLS)

Agreed, and most American supporters will say the same.

Dempsey really only produces when Donovan plays well, as Donovan is the engine of that team. Without him, there's no attacking midfielder who compels them forward and you're looking at a side that would be closer to the Central American middle powers like Honduras and Costa Rica.

TFCRegina
12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
I am saying you are twisting the argument by including Gerba.

...back to Kenwyne Jones...10 goals in the premiership last season, 5 in 12 games this year.

And so what?

Even if I twisted the argument, it does not mean that JDG is better than Donovan. Donovan is wanted in Europe, JDG is not. Case closed.

menefreghista
12-09-2009, 11:39 PM

Ricardo Fuller scored 11 last season.

I said club+country combined.

Having decent EPL seasons mean nothing if you don't bring it for your national team as well.

Anyways, I guess this debates done for me. Its obvious nobody is changing each-others minds.

BC101
12-09-2009, 11:53 PM
wowwwwwwwwww i can't believe it.

Keegan
12-10-2009, 12:12 AM

There's no First Div teams that have come knocking for him, which you cannot say the same for Donovan.

Oh and then there's that little bit about the fact that he came here because NOBODY WANTED HIM.

He said as much when he signed for TFC. He came to our club out of lack of European options.

Wrong.

JDG is a very well known name in spain actually. A spanish kid at my school knew absolutely nothing about football and he knew JDG, only player he knew on Deportivo.

Nobody wanted him? Are you ignorant or just dumb? Reports were flooding in for half a year of clubs wanting him... Tottenham, Valencia, Benfica, Espanyol just to name a few...

Ya but he totally wasn't wanted :rolleyes:

Landycakes better than De Guzman? What because he can score penalties for USMNT and score in MLS? You are having a laugh.

I remember after we played Brazil the brasilian press called De Guzman Zé Pequeno (from City of God) hahah thats how good he was in that game up until his one mistake but he was the best player on the pitch.

Also I would argue that as a player De Guzman is more valuable for Canada than Donovan is for the states. He is on another level to 95% of Canadian players in Canada matches.

Torcida
12-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Best argument ever LOL. So Donovan's better than Modric, Arshavin, Ba and Dzeko too I bet eh?

Carts
12-10-2009, 12:14 AM
I hope Donovan does well, very well, in the EPL - and I hope this for the good of the MLS...

If our MVP goes over there and shits the bed, it'll give people/players in Europe another reason to look down on the league... If he goes over there and is and does well, it helps the league image...

As for the debate about 'best player in CONCACAF' I'd say no he isn't - but he is a "world class player", his constant excellent play with the USA National Team gives him that label I'd say. They are the 11th ranked nation in the world, and he is one of their best players game in and game out...

Carts...

TFCRegina
12-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Wrong.

JDG is a very well known name in spain actually. A spanish kid at my school knew absolutely nothing about football and he knew JDG, only player he knew on Deportivo.

Nobody wanted him? Are you ignorant or just dumb? Reports were flooding in for half a year of clubs wanting him... Tottenham, Valencia, Benfica, Espanyol just to name a few...

Right, so when he stated he wanted to stay in Europe and would take less money to do so, and then didn't sign with a European team, this would indicate that despite all these reports, Tottenham, Valencia, Benfica, and Espanyol didn't want him at all.

Rumours are not to be relied on.

Listen to his own bloody words.

Ladies Love Julius James
12-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Best argument ever LOL. So Donovan's better than Modric, Arshavin, Ba and Dzeko too I bet eh?

and Robbie Keane.

werewolf
12-10-2009, 12:21 AM

Andrew Boyens is also better then Daniel Van Buyten & John O'Shea.

Dirk Diggler
12-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Wrong.

Landycakes better than De Guzman? What because he can score penalties for USMNT and score in MLS? You are having a laugh.

I remember after we played Brazil the brasilian press called De Guzman Zé Pequeno (from City of God) hahah thats how good he was in that game up until his one mistake but he was the best player on the pitch.

Also I would argue that as a player De Guzman is more valuable for Canada than Donovan is for the states. He is on another level to 95% of Canadian players in Canada matches.

Come on man ... I realize that he might not be the outright best player from the CONCACAF region but he is certainly better than any Canadian player at the moment. Lets face facts ... no one wanted JDG in Europe (except as a depth player I suppose) thus the reason why he came over to us. I've seen a lot of Spurs and Valencia matches and I would be absolutely shocked if they pursued JDG with any sort of honesty. He would be way out of depth with those teams.

Canary Canuck
12-10-2009, 01:28 AM

I guess you missed the whole part about his non-EU status being the stumbling block in signing talks.

TFCRegina
12-10-2009, 01:57 AM
I guess you missed the whole part about his non-EU status being the stumbling block in signing talks.

Doesn't seem to keep hundreds of other non-EU players out of action.

I suppose Landon Donovan and his EU status (:picard:) really makes him a more attractive target than JDG...

werewolf
12-10-2009, 01:59 AM
I am really no interested in making this specifically JDG v. landycakes, but are you aware of UK work permit restrictions?

jloome
12-10-2009, 02:27 AM

I'd say he's in the same league as all those guys. "Better" is pretty subjective, given how much role playing there is in footie.

I like him. He's an anal retentive hyper competitive douche occasionally, but he's honest about his love for the game. And he was quite good with Bayern in that loan last year... until the games counted for something.

But yeah, he'd easily be able to contribute at the same level as Dempsey.

jloome
12-10-2009, 02:28 AM
But his EU status would probably be meaningless, as his national team is ranked highly and he's its star player, pretty much guaranteeing he'd get a work permit.

Brooker
12-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Danny Dichio wipes his ass with people like Landycakes.

MrHawk
12-10-2009, 07:50 AM

I ROFL'd at this statement

canadian_bhoy
12-10-2009, 07:55 AM
So. Does this make Donovan a complete hypocrite for all his criticism of Beckham going to Milan? I mean, he's basically doing the same thing becks did.

MrHawk
12-10-2009, 07:57 AM
So. Does this make Donovan a complete hypocrite for all his criticism of Beckham going to Milan? I mean, he's basically doing the same thing becks did.

Which he did last year when he went to Munich.....Dono's only "argument" is his time did not affect his club time with the Galaxy, while Beckham's did? (correct me if I am wrong)

Daveisonfire
12-10-2009, 08:38 AM

Hahaha you cannot be serious right now...

MartinUtd
12-10-2009, 08:53 AM
haha... look what I started

How did we end up comparing Landycakes to a holding midfielder anyway?

FluSH
12-10-2009, 09:29 AM

As for Dos Santos, does he even play for his club?

Seeing that Donovan is not as easily replaceable as Dempsey in the USMNT I can see your point for the U.S.

However, it doesn't prove your point of:

Landon Donavan is the best player in CONCACAF

Also, if the tables were turned, I don't believe Donovan would be playing for the Spurs similar to Dos Santos who is on loan...

To say that Landon Donavan is the best player in CONCACAF carries huge weight and implications. Such that should be reflected by $$$ signed and teams interested in him. I could argue that Carlos Vela is better than Donovan based on age, potential, and importance to his club&country...

CanadaLFC
12-10-2009, 02:19 PM

Better yet, how did someone compare Landycakes to Rafa Marquez :facepalm:

thisisinternetclash
12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I just hope that Donovan is given a proper chance at Everton, if the move goes through. I think he's easily good enough to play and contribute at that level. He's a better player than Dempsey, who is an important, regular player for an upper-half Premiership side. Donovan obviously suffers from psychological fragility, and seems to have essentially willed himself to fail in Europe previously, but the talent is there. The thing is, Everton have a thin squad, but field some very good, standout international players in what is essentially Donovan's position in Cahill, Pienaar and Fellaini - nevermind Arteta, who's been linked with the England national team for years now. I'm not sure if the latter will be back from injury during Donovan's loan stay, but he could have trouble starting matches, especially considering it will understandably take some time to become acclimatized to the league. I imagine Moyes will move Fellaini into a deeper midfield role and either play Donovan off of one of their 'targetman' strikers (Saha, Yakubu, Jo), or else let Donovan play from a wide position opposite Pienaar and play Cahill centrally, either as a nominal striker or as part of a 5-man midfield. I genuinely think he could do well there if he's given a run of games to assert himself. I would have liked to see him at Spurs.

SilverSamurai
12-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Better yet, how did someone compare Landycakes to Rafa Marquez :facepalm:
Supposedly Landycakes is the best player in CONCACAF... :rolleyes::facepalm::picard:

brad
12-10-2009, 02:46 PM

If that's your criteria, Rafael Marquez is the best player in CONCACAF, as he as won the Champions League, La Liga, and the Copa del Ray in the last year.

brad
12-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Because the discussion is "who the best player in CONCACAF is", which is really quite a silly discussion altogether. Even more so when you do not differentiate between positions.

MartinUtd
12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I just wanted to hear some thoughts on him vs Eddie Johnson since he's likely to be moved in January as well.

As for Everton.. I forgot about Yakubu... how is Cakes supposed to get time ahead of him, Jo AND Saha (loved him for Man U back in the day). I know Jo is very hot/cold, but still... Are they all injured or something?

menefreghista
12-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Because the discussion is "who the best player in CONCACAF is", which is really quite a silly discussion altogether. Even more so when you do not differentiate between positions.

So the FIFA World Player trophy is also stupid because it doesn't distinguish between positions?

Or when they announce the World Cup MVP that's also dumb?

menefreghista
12-10-2009, 03:06 PM
I just wanted to hear some thoughts on him vs Eddie Johnson since he's likely to be moved in January as well.

He's way better than Eddie Johnson, its not even debatable.

brad
12-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Donavon is a better player.

Comparing achievements - both did well in the MLS, both have flopped in much better leagues, Donavon has done well internationally where Johnson has not.

From watching them play, Donavon is a smarter player and has more skill.

EJ reminds me of Wynne. Great athlete, terrible soccer player.

I think Donovan has the tools to succeed at a higher level (not necessarily EPL), but lacks the mental toughness to do so. And I think he's missed the boat.

As for Everton.. I forgot about Yakubu... how is Cakes supposed to get time ahead of him, Jo AND Saha (loved him for Man U back in the day). I know Jo is very hot/cold, but still... Are they all injured or something?

Saha will go down injured sooner or later..

brad
12-10-2009, 03:16 PM
So the FIFA World Player trophy is also stupid because it doesn't distinguish between positions?

As a matter of fact, I do think the FIFA World Player of the year is stupid, but not because of positional issues.

Or when they announce the World Cup MVP that's also dumb?

I'm much more interested in the team of the tournament than the player of the tournament.

However, back to topic -

You laid out the criteria - achievements in the last year. You don't want to consider position - fair enough.

So therefore, you will agree (based on trophies won) that Marquez is better than Donovan, correct?

menefreghista
12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
So therefore, you will agree (based on trophies won) that Marquez is better than Donovan, correct?

No, because I think Donovan's performance at this summer's Confederations Cup puts him over the top.

I would rate Marquez 2nd though.

And its all about personal preference. People are allowed to have a difference of opinion. It doesn't have to be a consensus pick.

brad
12-10-2009, 03:29 PM
No, because I think Donovan's performance at this summer's Confederations Cup puts him over the top.

Really? You think that winning the league championship in one of the top three leagues in the world, winning the biggest trophy in club football (the Champions League), and winning the domestic cup - in one season (the treble is absolutely huge) is a lesser achievement than playing well and coming in second place in a second rate international tournament? Wow...

And its all about personal preference. People are allowed to have a difference of opinion. It doesn't have to be a consensus pick.While I certainly agree with this, you also said this:

Marquez's accomplishments are vastly superior than playing well in a tournament you did not win. Donavon didn't even win MVP in that tournament.

Oblio2
12-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Donovan will NOT succeed in the EPL. He is a decent player but has no heart and can't take getting tackled. The EPL is a tough, tough league. Donovan will not be able to hack it. He couldn't in the Bundesliga...and wont in EPL.

SvenFlu
12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Donovan is the best MIDFIELDER in CONCACAF.

Marquez is the best DEFENDER in CONCACAF.

You can't compare the two. It's apples and oranges.

Donovan will NOT succeed in the EPL. He is a decent player but has no heart and can't take getting tackled. The EPL is a tough, tough league. Donovan will not be able to hack it. He couldn't in the Bundesliga...and wont in EPL.

He's going on loan for 3 months. What is your definition of success - 1 goal, 2 goals, 3 goals?

MartinUtd
12-10-2009, 05:24 PM
How about: goals

TorCanSoc
12-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Donovan. I like the Canadian half of him.

SilverSamurai
12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Really? You think that winning the league championship in one of the top three leagues in the world, winning the biggest trophy in club football (the Champions League), and winning the domestic cup - in one season (the treble is absolutely huge) is a lesser achievement than playing well and coming in second place in a second rate international tournament? Wow...

While I certainly agree with this, you also said this:

Marquez's accomplishments are vastly superior than playing well in a tournament you did not win. Donavon didn't even win MVP in that tournament.
+1.
Also didn't Landycakes crash and burn (well the entire US squad basically) at the CopaAmerica 2 years ago?
Is he 1 of the better CONCACAF players? Definitely. Would I put him on my CONCACAF Starting 11, yes.
But he's not the best player.
Best US player to come out of the US that hasn't gone to Europe, yes, but if he's so good, why isn't he playing in Europe?

+1.

I'm not saying i hope the guy crashes and burns (even though he's a douche), but I don't think he's going to last.

Dub Narcotic
12-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I think Donovan is a very good player, certainly in the top group of CONCACAF players. If you had a fantasy draft, I think it would go: {Palacios, Vela, Suazo, Donovan, Figueora}. Marquez was in that group, but is past his best, and I don't think JDG is really in the conversation, sorry to say. Whether he'll make it in England, who knows. There's a lot of variables and only three months to prove himself. Veron, Forlan, Pavulachekno, etc.. have all bombed in England, but it doesn't mean they are bad players.

LucaGol
12-11-2009, 07:22 AM
I think Donovan is a very good player, certainly in the top group of CONCACAF players. If you had a fantasy draft, I think it would go: {Palacios, Vela, Suazo, Donovan, Figueora}. Marquez was in that group, but is past his best, and I don't think JDG is really in the conversation, sorry to say. Whether he'll make it in England, who knows. There's a lot of variables and only three months to prove himself. Veron, Forlan, Pavulachekno, etc.. have all bombed in England, but it doesn't mean they are bad players.

The most rational post of the thread ... and it only took 3 pages.

CretanBull
12-11-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't think that Everton are expecting anything more than 10 minutes or so from Donovan...there's no way in hell he's a 90 minute Premiership player. Personally, I can't see him breaking down Premiership defenders and that's going to severly limit the types of goals that he can score.

As for Donovan vs. Dempsy...Dempsy is in a roll that suits him and he's well supported by Duff, Murphy and Greening - which allows him to make the most of his abilities. There's a world of difference between being apart of a 4 man midfield that has respectable depth and being a striker all on your own up front - especially when Cahill and Arteta are missing from the midfield. Its a lot easier to focus on and shut down a striker, and Donovan has yet to prove he has the fight in him needed to score those dirty, ugly goals that are all about determination and not skill.

Who's "better' becomes a side issue, but I'll guarantee that if they were offered both 20 out of 20 Premiership managers would take Dempsy over Donovan.

SvenFlu
12-11-2009, 12:57 PM
+1.
Also didn't Landycakes crash and burn (well the entire US squad basically) at the CopaAmerica 2 years ago?

No he didn't play in the Copa America. He played in the Gold Cup in 2007....and won it. U.S. sent an A Team to the Gold Cup and a B Team to the Copa America because they were back-to-back tournaments.

Yohan
12-12-2009, 12:00 AM
why would selling top MLS talent to EPL be a good thing? how many people talk about Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey, Ryan Nelsen, Brad Friedel, etc as products of MLS?

TFCRegina
12-12-2009, 12:06 AM
why would selling top MLS talent to EPL be a good thing? how many people talk about Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey, Ryan Nelsen, Brad Friedel, etc as products of MLS?

Short run, no. Long Run Yes. Actually Tim Howard is touted quite often as a Shitebull product...he's about all that has come out of there with success lately.

SilverSamurai
12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
No he didn't play in the Copa America. He played in the Gold Cup in 2007....and won it. U.S. sent an A Team to the Gold Cup and a B Team to the Copa America because they were back-to-back tournaments.
I dream of the CMNT getting an invite... but it's just a dream, like qualifing for the WC...

TFCRegina
12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
I dream of the CMNT getting an invite... but it's just a dream, like qualifing for the WC...

Or at least making it to the Hexagonal...or having all of our best players opting to play for Canada over a euro country.

trane
12-13-2009, 06:50 PM
trane?

I saw it, before, but did not see this thread. Needless to say, I am not thrilled, to say the least. Bad year for EFC, this is a low point of sorts.

Canadian Blue
12-13-2009, 07:24 PM
So this is like the Beckham gig?! Another blow to MLS credibility?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5761436,00.html

How does a player playing somewhere else during the MLS off-season hurt the league's credibility? Really no different than any other loan situation.

And for the record, from what I saw JDG is not and I repeat not better than Donovan.......JDG is shite (at least so far in TO)

SilverSamurai
12-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Or at least making it to the Hexagonal...or having all of our best players opting to play for Canada over a euro country.
Only JDG2 was a blow.
Lensky is a basketcase and locker room cancer so it's no big loss.
Begovic while a loss, isn't fatal since one place where their's some depth is in the GK pool.

How does a player playing somewhere else during the MLS off-season hurt the league's credibility? Really no different than any other loan situation.

And for the record, from what I saw JDG is not and I repeat not better than Donovan.......JDG is shite (at least so far in TO)
JDG also hadn't played since the GC. We only saw glimpses of him this season. He'll be much better this coming season.
It's not as if he was a La Liga washout that rode the bench or only played in the reserves.

Section 117
12-15-2009, 04:51 PM

JDG also hadn't played since the GC. We only saw glimpses of him this season. He'll be much better this coming season.
It's not as if he was a La Liga washout that rode the bench or only played in the reserves.

Sorry to go off topic but JDG is by far the most talented player on TFC and when he has legs under him and the team is built around him. you will be able to put in the conversation as a top player in Concacaf.

Marquez vs Ladycakes is not a fair comparison two different players in two completely opposite positions. But if you look at impact I would say Ladycakes had more of an impact for his squad then Marquez.

I can play defence for Barcelona and they would still win trophies

Yohan
12-17-2009, 05:46 PM
according to Grant Wahl, new Landycakes deal at 4yr, 9million contract... wowsers

he scored big time with that one

nascarguy
12-17-2009, 07:10 PM
i guess we can close this topic now he just sign a new deal for la

Yohan
12-17-2009, 07:13 PM
i guess we can close this topic now he just sign a new deal for la
he's still going on the loan...

STB
12-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Everton confirm they have him for two and a half Months:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5780634,00.html

"Landon will certainly add pace, he is a good finisher."

"He was voted best player, yet again, in the American league and is captain of the USA national team."

"I need players who can hit the ground running, who I think can go into the team quite quickly and make an impact."

flatpicker
01-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Watching his debut for Everton right now on Sportsnet.
I'm curious to see how he does... going up against Arsenal is quite the first game!

ag futbol
01-09-2010, 10:22 AM
according to Grant Wahl, new Landycakes deal at 4yr, 9million contract... wowsers

he scored big time with that one
Good thing LA has that second dp slot ...

But the league can't possibly stand to spend a fraction of that cash on regular players.

The irony comes to mind of MLS talking about their compliance with FIFA contacts when they can't even seem to decide to figure out what their own rules are, or how to follow them.

This league is littered with exceptions. Frei's GA status is another one that makes no sense.

OneLoveOneEric
01-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Getting killed by Traore - who is far from a top defender. I said it before - hope he enjoys the next few months, because he'll be gone come summer.

anto7
01-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Getting killed by Traore - who is far from a top defender. I said it before - hope he enjoys the next few months, because he'll be gone come summer.
Are you watching the same game as me? He is doing fine so far, swung in a great corner for the goal, made one or two nice runs and has stopped Troare from getting forward.

Carts
01-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Watching his debut for Everton right now on Sportsnet.
I'm curious to see how he does... going up against Arsenal is quite the first game!

I'm watching as well... You took the words right out of my mouth...

This is a tough EPL debut for Donovan... Cold weather with a touch of snow falling, playing Arsenal - away...

I know everyone on here hates him, but I hope he does well. The more American/Canadian/CONCACAF MLS players that move to play at higher levels and do well helps the league's image worldwide, and that's good for everyone and all teams involved... Especially if they do well on loan, and return to their MLS side...

Carts...

flatpicker
01-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Are you watching the same game as me? He is doing fine so far, swung in a great corner for the goal, made one or two nice runs and has stopped Troare from getting forward.

I'm watching as well... You took the words right out of my mouth...

This is a tough EPL debut for Donovan... Cold weather with a touch of snow falling, playing Arsenal - away...

I know everyone on here hates him, but I hope he does well. The more American/Canadian/CONCACAF MLS players that move to play at higher levels and do well helps the league's image worldwide, and that's good for everyone and all teams involved... Especially if they do well on loan, and return to their MLS side...

Carts...

I agree with both comments.

Donovan is not looking out of place at all, so far.
And I also hope that he does well.

OneLoveOneEric
01-09-2010, 10:34 AM
It was a good corner, but was woeful marking. And I disagree completely about the "nice runs". And he's gotten caught in his own end twice.
Regardless, he will not prove to be good enough for Everton over a couple months. Watch.

sulfur
01-09-2010, 10:35 AM
As an aside, it's a 10 week loan. Definite end so that he can start the season with LA.

OneLoveOneEric
01-09-2010, 10:37 AM
^ah. I didn't realize that. Makes much more sense than Everton having bought him. Thank you for clarifying.

OneLoveOneEric
01-09-2010, 10:45 AM
He's growing in to the game now...

TFCRegina
01-09-2010, 10:47 AM

Yeah, he's been doing decent actually. Putting the ball where it has to go. He hasn't been spectacular, but he's done a good job.

sidvan
01-09-2010, 11:04 AM
he should be back in LA after the world cup I would think

rocker
01-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Donovan out at the 68th.... he looked fine... made some shitty short passes at times.. but so did his teammates. he looked fine going forward, beating that defender a number of times. Did not look out of place... was not the worst guy on Everton, not the best.

Shway
01-09-2010, 12:14 PM
he started to slow shit down way to much, reason he was taken off

FluSH
01-09-2010, 12:17 PM
He played well.... commentator said "what a menace he's been... Donovan"

OneLoveOneEric
01-09-2010, 12:18 PM
^^Try not to listen to Lou Macari too much. It'll make you stupid :)
And I say that in spite of supporting United.

TFCRegina
01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
He played well.... commentator said "what a menace he's been... Donovan"

Yep. But he has to be consistent. That's been his knock for a while, even in Germany. He'd play inconsistent...

Carts
01-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Yep. But he has to be consistent. That's been his knock for a while, even in Germany. He'd play inconsistent...

I think any coach in the world would give a guy a break for making a few off passes or bad reads when he makes his EPL debut with a lower squad, at Emirates, in a blizzard when he's been playing in the summer in LA for the last little while...

Donovan did very well. He didn't look out of place. Didn't panic, and when he had time (things like the set play corner) he was effective...

Everton was right to sub him out, mostly b/c of the conditions - nobody knows how long he could last in that shit-storm in his first game...

Carts...

Carts
01-09-2010, 12:36 PM
^^Try not to listen to Lou Macari too much. It'll make you stupid :)
And I say that in spite of supporting United.

Macari was spot on with this comment though.

Arsenal's young defender had trouble reading Donovan - almost looked like he'd been warned that "this American is fast" so he gave him a little space as to not get burned by the MLS newcomer...

Donovan actually suprised me with his quick stops, especially on the slick pitch - with LA he seems to go forward everytime, all the time. Today he didn't...

We'll see how he does in the upcoming games - we can't read too much into 68-minutes of EPL play... Good or bad...

Carts...

Marco2K
01-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Donavan would look great in TFC RED.

Everton stinks so even Cunningham would look good.

rocker
01-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I was actually surprised he started at all. When was his last game? Nov 22??? So he hasn't had a competitive match in 1.5 months and then he's thrown in to start on the road, in the snow. Not bad.

stretchthetruth
01-09-2010, 01:31 PM
i watched the landycakes debut as well... i used to hate this guy with a passion, but after reading "The Beckham Experiment", i gained a new perspective and a new respect for him. He did well IMO, and certainly didnt look out of place whatsoever. I too hope he does well, and wouldnt mind seeing him in TFC red - he'd have to stop kissing his wrists or whatever but still, excellent player.

SvenFlu
01-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Sky Sports gave him the highest rating of any player out there today.

jazzy
01-09-2010, 01:58 PM
I hope Donovan does well, very well, in the EPL - and I hope this for the good of the MLS...

If our MVP goes over there and shits the bed, it'll give people/players in Europe another reason to look down on the league... If he goes over there and is and does well, it helps the league image...

As for the debate about 'best player in CONCACAF' I'd say no he isn't - but he is a "world class player", his constant excellent play with the USA National Team gives him that label I'd say. They are the 11th ranked nation in the world, and he is one of their best players game in and game out...

Carts...

The truth, Donovan drives me nuts against us, perpetual whiner, but he give him this, he played well today, except on Arsenals 1rst goal he showed his MLS inefficentcy by not going after the ball, which went to Denilson and...goal. For the sake of our league one has to hope he plays well, it looks good on us, wish him the best. Did see him tell the ref how to do his job. That could get him in trouble. If he continues to play well, he just may get his wish....surely some team will buy out his contract....That is what he wants.

tfcleeds
01-09-2010, 02:27 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=722991&sec=england&root=england&cc=5901

TOBOR !
01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I dunno really... he was played out of position as far as I can tell, and whenever he got the ball he basically stood on it and passed it inside to Fellaini. I watched him a bit and noticed a lot of walking. Granted, this was all in the second half (missed the first). I wasn't surprised to see him subbed off.

TBH, I don't know why Bilyaletinov isn't starting.

rocker
01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
apparently he was subbed off due to cramping. that might explain the walking.

Roogsy
01-09-2010, 04:29 PM
He had a good start to his spell at Everton. To be honest I hope he does well. It would mean good things for North American players and the league.

Detroit_TFC
01-09-2010, 05:04 PM
He looked pretty match fit to me. I would bet Moyes planned on taking him out at 70 even before the match started. Since he lasted the full 70, I think he exceeded people's expectations.

Conditions were atrocious. Arsenal were playing like shit, too. Under better conditions the result would have been very different. But Everton took two points away from Arsenal so I'm happy (I was expecting 3-1 Arse).

Oldtimer
01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Donovan is actually highly regarded in the UK, so it's no surprise to have Sky Sports saying he was playing well.

mr k
01-09-2010, 09:16 PM
When interviewed, Donovan said he did "okay" not great. He said he wasn't match fit.

ochos
01-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Played terrific.. was hoping he would put the dagger in those pansies

ExiledRed
01-09-2010, 10:23 PM
I didnt see the game,

It wouldnt surprise me if he was the best player on the team though.

CretanBull
01-09-2010, 10:58 PM
He played pretty well...it was obvious that he was new to the team and there was that feeling-out process going on. I thought he looked best deep in the attacking zone, he looked a little unsure of himself in the midfield - especially when Arsenal had the ball. He'll be a usefull player for Everton, but he's got to work on his conditioning for sure, he looked gased coming out at halftime.

SoccMan
01-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Like someone stated already, for a guy who plays in such an inferior league like many here always come out here to remind us, and for a player who last played a competive game about a couple a month back, he played well considering this is probably one of the strongest leagues in the world.

trane
01-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I didnt see the game,

It wouldnt surprise me if he was the best player on the team though.

But that is because you do not think much of the over players. He is not better, that Cahill, Saha, Feliani, Pienaar, Osman. He may have done OK, but he far from Everton's best players. If he is then they may as well get ready for relegation.

trane
01-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Like someone stated already, for a guy who plays in such an inferior league like many here always come out here to remind us, and for a player who last played a competive game about a couple a month back, he played well considering this is probably one of the strongest leagues in the world.

Why is such a statement of fact, that the MLS is inferior at this point, so offensive?

Mark in Ottawa
01-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I thought he played well enough. Didn't look out of place and will probably improve with more training time with his new teammates.

It must be quite a change going from playing on a smaller pitch like we traditionally use in North America to the larger one at the Emerates.

Beach_Red
01-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Why is such a statement of fact, that the MLS is inferior at this point, so offensive?

I think it's because people want to belive that the quality of a league is a function of something other than money. We usually try and invest our sports and athletic heroes with all kinds of cultural stuff and don't like to be reminded they are mercenaries who follow the biggest paycheque.

rocker
01-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I thought he played well enough. Didn't look out of place and will probably improve with more training time with his new teammates.

It must be quite a change going from playing on a smaller pitch like we traditionally use in North America to the larger one at the Emerates.

the pitches are bigger in England? I thought Fulham, for example, had a really small pitch. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Donovan's played on so many fields as an international (plus Colorado's massive field and LA's is pretty large too) that it probably doesn't matter to him.

TFCRegina
01-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Most of the pitches are the same size from what I recall as they are in MLS.

Emirates and City have wider, continental style pitches.

sidvan
01-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I believe Sunderland's Stadium of Light has the same pitch dimensions as BMO

Mark in Ottawa
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
My comment was based on this one game... his first with Everton.

Oldtimer
01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Just saw the goal. It was top rate, for sure.

Blizzard
01-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Most of the pitches are the same size from what I recall as they are in MLS.

Emirates and City have wider, continental style pitches.

I quickly did a bit of research and this is what I came up with. Emirates and Dick's are quite larger than the norm.

The obvious thing that jumps out though is that the impression that English pitches are bigger just isn't true if you scan down the list.

I've sorted based on area in square meters.

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab167/greenfield267/StadiumPitchDimensions-Area-2.jpg

Hitcho
01-10-2010, 10:55 PM
This could start a worrying trend - the best MLS players go to the top leagues in Europe over the off season. Would we want De Ro off there to be worn out without a break and potentially snapped up?

As a one off for golden balls, who cares. BUt I hope this doesn't become a regular thing for MLS players now. It make the league look second rate.

Dirk Diggler
01-10-2010, 11:21 PM
This could start a worrying trend - the best MLS players go to the top leagues in Europe over the off season. Would we want De Ro off there to be worn out without a break and potentially snapped up?

As a one off for golden balls, who cares. BUt I hope this doesn't become a regular thing for MLS players now. It make the league look second rate.

Come on ... lets be realistic here ... no one is going to snap up Dero for one off-season in Europe (at least not a team and a league that DeRo would care to play for).

Oldtimer
01-11-2010, 08:37 AM

It's a fact of life that every player wants to play in the highest league possible, all other things (playing time, money, lifestyle) being equal.
Lower Euro leagues like the Dutch league lose players to the EPL and the SPL all the time. It doesn't make MLS look second-rate to the typical Euro league. In fact, it's normal.

jloome
01-11-2010, 12:34 PM

A top-level club wouldn't snap him up, as he plays like an individual. But he could make some serious coin on a short-term contract for a second-tier club in the Coca Cola Championship or Serie B.

Stugatzo
01-11-2010, 03:20 PM
He had a good start to his spell at Everton. To be honest I hope he does well. It would mean good things for North American players and the league.

Yes! It would show we are more than a holding pen for young talent or a paycheque league for older players.

ExiledRed
01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
But that is because you do not think much of the over players. He is not better, that Cahill, Saha, Feliani, Pienaar, Osman. He may have done OK, but he far from Everton's best players. If he is then they may as well get ready for relegation.

cmon Trane, I thought you'd recognise a sly dig.

I think its funny that Donovan is playing at Evertons level, or that Everton is playing at Donovans level....thats all.

OneLoveOneEric
01-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Donovan has been having a fantastic game today. He'll come back to MLS a far better player after playing against some real competition for a couple months.

onemanbarmyarmy
01-17-2010, 07:09 AM
^^If he comes back. A few more good outings and some team may try to buy him. I am wondering what the chances of him staying on at Goodison will be when Arteta is fit. Right now he is basically filling in for Arteta. Everton won't have much use for Landycakes when they have a full roster back but there are a few other teams that might show some interest.

CretanBull
01-17-2010, 11:05 AM
^I'd venture to guess that he's worth more to the MLS than he is to Everton so its hard to imagine them agreeing on a transfer fee for him.

trane
01-19-2010, 06:15 PM
cmon Trane, I thought you'd recognise a sly dig.

I think its funny that Donovan is playing at Evertons level, or that Everton is playing at Donovans level....thats all.

hahhah. Funny to you. But they are looking better.

MartinUtd
01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Apparently Arsenal are after Saha. If that ends up happening then I could see Everton making room for landycakes in the long term (if he keeps up good form of course).

Is anyone else rooting for him to fail miserably or am I just a big spoilsport?

trane
01-19-2010, 06:26 PM
He is not being used as a striker but as a winger. Even is Saha goes it will not effect his prospects. He will never be a striker in the EPL.

MartinUtd
01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Oh yeah... I knew that too

:picard:

tovan
01-20-2010, 03:01 PM
not sure if this has been posted yet... Donovan's Mexican tv commercial...

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2010/01/20/landon-donovan-s-lottery-ad-fulfills-mexican-dream.aspx

FluSH
01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
^^^
Could have been funnier if it was more futbol related besides a futbol lotto... I kind of skimmed through the NP article... and not sure why they don't mention that this was created by Mexicans... hence the reason they wouldn't be insulted... anyhow did anyone catch what he said at the end? Donovan? it's gotta be some kind of Mexican slang.

Dirk Diggler
01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
He says culero.

SvenFlu
01-20-2010, 04:55 PM
He has 136,000 fans on facebook

sulfur
01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
As an aside, he scored his first goal for Everton today.

Gixmo
01-27-2010, 04:22 PM
... and he's nearly just scored another, goal line clearence saving us from another LandyDance

werewolf
01-27-2010, 04:23 PM
As an aside, he scored his first goal for Everton today.

thats actually quite topical.

He is now better then Maradona.

flambe
02-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Quite interesting to see how he's doing at Everton. Seems to be going well for him and them.

SvenFlu
02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Quite interesting to see how he's doing at Everton. Seems to be going well for him and them.

Yeah he had a tremendous game today. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to extend the loan or even buy him in the summer.

felipe
02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I don't think I've missed an Everton game since he's joined; and he's done very well pretty well every time. Looks just like he's been there forever. He's still the same guy with the same strengths and weaknesses but he's doing very well - I give a lot of credit to Moyes - Landycakes has never looked as much of a team player as he does at the moment.

Colour me impressed - one thing I never thought I'd say about Donovan.

111_DrummerBoy
02-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't think I've missed an Everton game since he's joined; and he's done very well pretty well every time. Looks just like he's been there forever. He's still the same guy with the same strengths and weaknesses but he's doing very well - I give a lot of credit to Moyes - Landycakes has never looked as much of a team player as he does at the moment.

Colour me impressed - one thing I never thought I'd say about Donovan.

I need to preface this by stating that not only am I a TFC supporter, but Liverpool as well. And yes, Landycakes is playing pretty well for Everton. He has one goal already, and set up two others - that I've seen. I feel so dirty. Part of me wants to see him crash and burn, and yet another part of me is happy to see him do well. In some ways, it gives credit to the MLS.

deltox
02-11-2010, 09:07 AM
well i want him to go to Everton...... LA would be worse if he left.

thats better for TFC

Eastend
02-11-2010, 09:14 AM
I know we attack him here and I do aswell...but....I'm glad he's doing well. As others have mentioned, he seems to be doing well and the position, he's playing a team game, and it does help showcase MLS a little bit....just a little bit.

scooter
02-11-2010, 10:26 AM
and its good for usa national team

he looks good out there and is making great runs and doesnt look as out of place as i thought he would

justin
03-07-2010, 01:23 PM
bump...landy is doing his part to impress...latest rumor has chelsea going for him in the summer.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2010/03/07/1821722/chelsea-chase-landon-donovan-as-manchester-united-eye-summer

RoyalMidfielder
03-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Donovan with a goal and an assist today

Whoop
03-07-2010, 07:20 PM
It was the fourth but yeah.

I hate Landycakes but I hope for the sake of the MLS he does well.

jazzy
03-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Mlsnet.com is stating that LA doesn't want to extend his loan, and expect him back Mar 15. Basically Arena is stating that only if there isn't a labor agreement would Donovan be allowed to return to Everton.

111_DrummerBoy
03-08-2010, 09:11 AM
He's probably gone next year. His salary is only 10K pounds a week. Which is nothing in the EPL. Everton can offer him 3 times that and it still be a damn good deal if he plays like that.

I felt sick yesterday. I think I threw up a little in my mouth. I cheered when Landycakes scored. :(

thisisinternetclash
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
With his new contract he makes about 2mil USD a year, which works out to somewhere in the vicinity of 25K GBP a week, so it's a bit more than that. Still, a player at his level at a club like Everton would expect to earn (at least) upwards of 40K weekly, I'd think.