PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Dec.09

denime
12-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Mornin'

Reds Keeper Heads Home (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091208&content_id=7773224&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Alphabet soup (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/12/07/johnston_blog_hart/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

MUFC_Niagara
12-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Wow, you'd think sportsnet could get a new stock photo of the TFC fans for their article. That picture was the first ever Chicago trip....it's 3 years old!

Fort York Redcoat
12-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Hart says yes to needing a Canadian Soccer/Football League.

I wonder what the comparison of expenses is like between, say, The Welsh League who has a couple representations in the English Football League and our own CSL, PCSL. Gauranteed a canadian League would cost more to maintain.

CretanBull
12-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Travel and distance makes a Canada wide league impossible until soccer becomes more popular. The best idea is to invest the type of money that a national league would need, but locate it in one place to cut down on travel costs. Both interest and weather make BC a good choice for the location...put teams in Vancouver, Burnaby, Victoria, Nanimo etc.

deltox
12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
so i guess im getting from this ......if the NASL does not get sanctioned.....TFC will still go to the qualifying of Concacaf? just like the islanders.

do the islanders play for that spot?

Concacaf gives the spot to the CSA.....and CSA decides who is the team?

Chewy Unikronik
12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Travel and distance makes a Canada wide league impossible until soccer becomes more popular. The best idea is to invest the type of money that a national league would need, but locate it in one place to cut down on travel costs. Both interest and weather make BC a good choice for the location...put teams in Vancouver, Burnaby, Victoria, Nanimo etc.
I like this idea, but they should have one in the east, as well. 2 "leagues", one in BC-Alberta, the other Ontario-Quebec.

scooter
12-09-2009, 08:50 AM
mornin d

thats the age old excuse but maybe we should spend some time to try and make travel and distance just an obstacle that we can overcome

10 yr old kids who play for osa travel upwards of 250km just to get to games and practices

I SAY IT CAN HAPPEN WITH COMMITMENT AND THE DESIRE TO SUCCEED

Fort York Redcoat
12-09-2009, 08:55 AM

PCSL already serves that area well but half the league is across the border much like our OHL. You're right about hte difficulty linking the two leagues and that's excluding the Marintimes.

CretanBull
12-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I like this idea, but they should have one in the east, as well. 2 "leagues", one in BC-Alberta, the other Ontario-Quebec.

Realistically, we probably have a need for 2 leagues but I think it might be better to have all of the top talent focused in one area to make the teams/league more competitive - it would also make it easier (and more efficient) to pour reasources into 1 league instead of 2.

CretanBull
12-09-2009, 10:10 AM
PCSL already serves that area well but half the league is across the border much like our OHL. You're right about hte difficulty linking the two leagues and that's excluding the Marintimes.

I'd like to take the idea of the PCSL and just up the tallent, quality of coaches etc. and put a lot more money into it. I'd like to see a "Jr." type of league that could develope the country's best players - something that could atleast compete with the NCAA in terms of developement. I wouldn't be against having a few American teams in the league - especially if they're willing to invest :D

Huyton
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I saw, somewhere, the idea of creating the equivalent of the FA Cup, or the US Open Championship. I'd love to see all non-developmental teams in Canada participate, with the professional teams joining at progressively later rounds.

For the amateurs, it would be regional at first, with the Maritimes, Quebec, Ontario, the Prairies and BC each producing a team to represent them. Add in the three MLS teams for a total of 8, and then just pull names from a hat for a home and away series. The final to be a one game affair, to be played at a place determined the year before by the CSA.

Would recreational leagues like the Toronto Services League be eligible to provide a team? Probably not, as there would be the problem of a player being in two different teams.

I'd also include womens teams. We have female refs and assistants, and at some point, a womens team will beat a mens team. For intance the female version of TFC would be unlikely to beat the mens version, but would they beat Burlington United? Probably.

Basically, if you're a team in a competitive league, playing standard FIFA fules (this would rule out wheelchair soccer, for instance), then you should be eligible to play for the Canadian Championship.

I think that this would be a great tournament.

bee dubya
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Landycakes to Everton?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/08/david-moyes-everton-landon-donovan

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Interesting... you'd think he'd naturally go to USA FC/Fulham.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-09-2009, 12:18 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2009/11/27/toronto_fc_fans_big_381.jpg

haha the good old days.....Chicago trip 2007!

Toronto Ruffrider
12-09-2009, 12:21 PM
so i guess im getting from this ......if the NASL does not get sanctioned.....TFC will still go to the qualifying of Concacaf? just like the islanders.

The Islanders have to play for a spot in the qualifying round, just like any other team that doesn't qualify directly for the group stage. Puerto Rico hasn't been allotted its own spot in the Champions League, nor have any other countries in the Caribbean Zone. The Islanders compete in the Caribbean Football Union Club Championship for one of three regional spots in the qualifying stage.

As long as the Islanders play in a sanctioned league, I can't see why their qualifying process for the CCL would change. The Islanders are used to playing teams such as Harbour View and W Connection for Champions League berths.

Shway
12-09-2009, 01:27 PM

they qualify through the same way the jamaican and trinidad teams qualify, its not an automatic berth.

i think its call the CFU CLub Championships

Fort York Redcoat
12-09-2009, 01:38 PM
^^Thanks JG, Ruffy. Didn't know that. I can't bloody wait till next year...

TOBOR !
12-09-2009, 02:38 PM
sure - Canada is too large to sustain coast to coast travel. Regional leagues with a championship tournament at the end of the year. Maybe similar to a Memorial Cup format. It's kind of a no-brainer, really.

DOMIN8R
12-09-2009, 02:52 PM
"We are very happy with the visit of the MLS executives in Montreal," declared Impact President Joey Saputo. "The meetings this morning with Minister Bachand and Mayor Tremblay were very positive. It's clear for us, and now more than ever, that the arrival of MLS in Montreal is only a question of time. We are hoping to have news in the first quarter of 2010."

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20091209&content_id=7781752&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

TorCanSoc
12-09-2009, 05:32 PM
SSG! Wow! An Indian sister. I'm so proud. But could we have picked...uh... maybe a better one? This one is h'ugly vit a kapitah haich.

Not quite the level of this thread.
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18957