PDA

View Full Version : TFC to get bye to CCL in 2010?

SweetOwnGoal
12-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I directly asked CSA general secutary Peter Montopoli whether the Whitecaps and Impact would be eligible for the CCL if they were playing in a non-recognized league next year. He pretty much directly said no (http://www.24thminute.com/2009/12/concacaf-champions-league-eligibility.html)

It's also becoming increasingly clear that the NASL group is in a whole lot of trouble when it comes to USSF sanctioning. And the CSA ain't keen on stepping up to fil that role.

Details here (http://www.24thminute.com/2009/12/nasl-in-trouble-csa-not-ready-to-bail.html)

nascarguy
12-08-2009, 01:01 AM
cool too bad for them great news for us

prizby
12-08-2009, 01:06 AM
so do season ticket holders get some type of refund?

ilikemusic
12-08-2009, 01:15 AM
That sucks.

Id rather they play those games.

For all the talk of fixture congestion, a tournament against our Canadian rivals isnt something that needs to be cut back on.

I hope they still play Vancouver and Montreal in some fashion this season.

Cashcleaner
12-08-2009, 01:22 AM
^ I agree. I've loved all the trips to Montreal so far, and was hoping on making a flight out to Vancouver to watch us play there in 2010 as well. I really, REALLY hope this shit with the NASL and USL-1 can get sorted out.

Also, it just doesn't seem right to get a pass into CONCACAF by default.

kodiakTFC
12-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Read the article, it says the tournament will happen regardless but the winner (if its not TFC) may not be winning a spot in the CCL due to eligibility.

James17930
12-08-2009, 02:06 AM
I was wondering about this as well. Good thought to ask about it.

Ageroo
12-08-2009, 02:07 AM
more time to prepare....and less chance at injury....although I liked those fixtures on the schedule.

Blizzard
12-08-2009, 02:47 AM
more time to prepare....and less chance at injury....although I liked those fixtures on the schedule.

They'll still be there. There will still be a CCL although CONCACAF may not recognize Vancouver or Montreal as a winner as they are not playing in a sanctioned league as such .... assuming that the USSF refuses to sanction the NASL.

twistedchinaman
12-08-2009, 04:15 AM
^ I think USL has a losing hand right now; two of their most powerful teams are gone, Charleston has gone to USL-2, and now they are left with a husk: New York, Portland, Austin and possibly Puerto Rico.

Still, I think it's best we have this tourney. And if us winning is the only way for Canada to get a rep at the CCL, then so be it.

nascarguy
12-08-2009, 04:21 AM
if they did work something out with NASL would it mean that more canadian teams that are in the NASL can join Vancouver & Montreal in tournament it would make winning that more better vs more canadian teams.

but if we get to go to CCL with out having add 4 more game to a all ready busy summer then I'm all for it.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-08-2009, 04:40 AM
why is it that the NASL isnt being recognized by the USSF?

sulfur
12-08-2009, 07:33 AM
It's in direct conflict with the league that they recognize at that level... the USL.

Eastend
12-08-2009, 07:34 AM
^ I think USL has a losing hand right now; two of their most powerful teams are gone, Charleston has gone to USL-2, and now they are left with a husk: New York, Portland, Austin and possibly Puerto Rico.

Still, I think it's best we have this tourney. And if us winning is the only way for Canada to get a rep at the CCL, then so be it.

Someone mentioned in another thread that the Islanders are joining the Puerto Rican League.......

Fort York Redcoat
12-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Okay that means we're playing a friendly tournament midseason and I don't dig on it.

Love playing the Vcup but only when it's for real.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-08-2009, 07:59 AM
CHAMPIONS.....CHAMPIONS...CHAMPIONS...:hide:

This would suck!

Pookie
12-08-2009, 08:01 AM
On the plus side, the days available for Argo rentals just dropped to 8.

Hugh Jazz
12-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Okay that means we're playing a friendly tournament midseason and I don't dig on it.

Love playing the Vcup but only when it's for real.

Then it can just be used to get some players time off of the bench. There's no reserve league next year right?

deltox
12-08-2009, 08:58 AM
its fun that the CCL is the way into Concacaf.

if this isnt granted to the winner.....then we have no way of getting into Concacaf and the tourney seems weak

tfcleeds
12-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Currently, there are still a lot of unresolved issues re: NASL before they kick off their inaugural season next year. Why couldn't some agreement be made with the USSF before then?

Ossington Mental Youth
12-08-2009, 09:39 AM
thats what i dont understand either

Fort York Redcoat
12-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Then it can just be used to get some players time off of the bench. There's no reserve league next year right?

No starters?

I'd agree to that.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Do we still get to party in MTL and the island airport?

ManUtd4ever
12-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Look at the bright side, TFC will be the "official" NCC defending champs for one more season...Seriously though, I hope the new NASL can be sanctioned by FIFA so that the tournament will have some meaning. I love the animosity and rivalry that has developed between TFC, Montreal, and Vancouver these last 2 years...

canadian_bhoy
12-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Re

Fund

Thanks.

Whoop
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
^^
Seconded.

Nuvinho
12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
1st hardware of 2010. Mo is doing a great job!!! :eek6:

Macksam
12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
The NASL will be sanctioned rest assured.

MartinUtd
12-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Terrible news if true.

I still plan on going to Vancouver for the Swangard sending off.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
The NASL will be sanctioned rest assured.

i tend to think this too, cant see any good reasons as to why they wouldnt

rocker
12-08-2009, 11:26 AM
i don't mind this... if TFC wins the canadian championship, we get concacaf games. If Montreal and Vancouver win the canadian championship, they get screwed over and can't go to concacaf.. hahahahha.

MartinUtd
12-08-2009, 11:27 AM
i tend to think this too, cant see any good reasons as to why they wouldnt

Prearranged back door deals with the USL brass?

Just speculating...

CoachGT
12-08-2009, 11:30 AM
i don't mind this... if TFC wins the canadian championship, we get concacaf games. If Montreal and Vancouver win the canadian championship, they get screwed over and can't go to concacaf.. hahahahha.

I think the issue here might be that the Canadian spot is not an "automatic", any more than the Puerto Rican spot was. Rememeber, our game against Puerto Rico was a qualifier into the opening round, since they are the only PR team. I wonder whether the spot might just "disappear" for both if the NASL doesn't become accredited.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Prearranged back door deals with the USL brass?

Just speculating...

yeah but i dont see the USL as offering anything right now and they will offer even less now that theres only 3 or whatever many teams left

stugautz
12-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Why are people complaining? It's one less thing for TFC to screw up. Should I be bumping some of the comments after the Vancouver game?

Hitcho
12-08-2009, 11:59 AM
No way will MLSE give us a refund on any missed CCL games. If push comes to shove then they will just line up some cannon fodder as friendlies and use the tickets for that instead.

That said, I think the CC should go ahead regardless of CONCACAF recognition. I mean, if Canada lost its CCL place, I'd still like to see a Canada Cup. So hold it anyway and just have TFC entered directly as Canada's CCL entrant. There's still a trohpy and no small amount of pride to play for. I'd much rather see a Canada Cup than some douche teams brought up here at the last minute.

nascarguy
12-08-2009, 12:48 PM
did anyone call tfc yet about a refund and so what if there no vcup in till they join the mls

deltox
12-08-2009, 01:07 PM
it hasnt been announced that its cancelled yet

james
12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
I like the Canadian Championship but i wont really be interrested in watching Vancouver and Montreal play Toronto for a meanningless tournament if Vancouver and Montreal wont receive a position to try and qualify for Concacaf Champions League. It would just be 4 meannigless games that i bet are back up players would play in. Theres no way they would play out starters if there is no point in the tournament other then bragging rights.

james
12-08-2009, 01:40 PM
i dont understand why tho Concacaf Champions League couldnt let Canada create a qualifying tournament since Toronto FC is at the same level as the 4 spots for USA clubs in MLS and if Montreal or Vancouver were to win the tournamnet then so be it, they beat a team that is in a recognized league so must be at the same level as other teams that qualify for Champions League..

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-08-2009, 06:33 PM
i dont understand why tho Concacaf Champions League couldnt let Canada create a qualifying tournament since Toronto FC is at the same level as the 4 spots for USA clubs in MLS and if Montreal or Vancouver were to win the tournamnet then so be it, they beat a team that is in a recognized league so must be at the same level as other teams that qualify for Champions League..

I'm not up on the nuances of the subject, but they might do it as a smart business news, good for appearances to have another team in competition who might draw some fans for the games.

AL-MO
12-08-2009, 06:56 PM
That sucks.

Id rather they play those games.

Agreed. There is nothing like a week night game vs. MTL!

Kaz
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
i dont understand why tho Concacaf Champions League couldn't let Canada create a qualifying tournament since Toronto FC is at the same level as the 4 spots for USA clubs in MLS and if Montreal or Vancouver were to win the tournament then so be it, they beat a team that is in a recognized league so must be at the same level as other teams that qualify for Champions League..

the CONCACAF CL is a FIFA turny/League where the winner qualifies for the Club World Cup.

The USSF and CSA are reconized by FIFA, FIFA would by default recognize CSA/USSF recognized leagues. Without that then the NASL would not be sanctioned by FIFA essentially, and as such couldn't play in a CONCACAF CL

james
12-08-2009, 11:59 PM
the CONCACAF CL is a FIFA turny/League where the winner qualifies for the Club World Cup.

The USSF and CSA are reconized by FIFA, FIFA would by default recognize CSA/USSF recognized leagues. Without that then the NASL would not be sanctioned by FIFA essentially, and as such couldn't play in a CONCACAF CL

so why couldnt CSA recognize the NASL since 2 of the 3 best teams in Canada will compete in the league?

billyfly
12-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Agreed. There is nothing like a week night game vs. MTL!

Worked out last year didn't it?

Kaz
12-09-2009, 08:05 AM
so why couldnt CSA recognize the NASL since 2 of the 3 best teams in Canada will compete in the league?

The only reason that the CSA would reconize it if the USSF dosen't would be to allow Montreal and Vancouver to Compete in the CC and go to the CCL. However with Vancouver going to MLS next year (2011) and Montreal most likely in 2012 I can see the CSA avoid a league issue with the USL and not recognizing initially and letting both teams participate as they enter MLS.

You get a one season by for TFC, a derby between Vancouver and Toronto for the Cup in 2001, and the return of the CC in 2012.

I'd prefer seeing the NASL get sanctioned though.

EDIT
Though after reading the sportsnet article in the news section it looks like the NCC will happen either way, but win or lose, if the other Canadian teams aren't in a Sanctioned league, then Toronto moves on even if they finish dead last.

Nazzer
12-10-2009, 01:46 PM
I think the issue here might be that the Canadian spot is not an "automatic", any more than the Puerto Rican spot was. Rememeber, our game against Puerto Rico was a qualifier into the opening round, since they are the only PR team. I wonder whether the spot might just "disappear" for both if the NASL doesn't become accredited.

The Islanders qualified by finishing in second place in the Caribean Football Union Club Championship in 2009. They lost to W Connection in the final. Puerto Rico Islanders do not even get an automatic spot in the CFU tournament, there was supposed to be a tournament between the top three Puerto Rican League teams and them with the top two advancing to the CFU Club Championship... two of the teams dropped out due to financing so the Islanders did end up getting a free spot into the CFU.