PDA

View Full Version : Argos Open Fan Letter... Alternate Version

Pookie
12-06-2009, 08:21 AM
As you may know, Bob Nicholson wrote to Argo fans to discuss the reports about moving to BMO. The letter he released is here: http://www.argonauts.ca/article/an-open-letter-to-all-argos-fans

Below is the version that didn't make it to print:

It was great seeing a couple of you at the Grey Cup festivities in Calgary, the Lord knows that is the closest we will ever be to the Cup in some time. Several of you asked me to clarify what is happening with a potential move of the Toronto Argonauts to BMO Field, as recently reported in the media. I wanted to send you a note to keep you informed about these reports.

We at the Toronto Argonauts are preparing to play at Rogers Centre in 2010. This is different than most years when we don’t prepare to play at all.

It may sound silly to consider moving to an outdoor stadium painted in red. I would challenge those that think that way. Is it sillier than when we had 2 of the teams in a 9 team league called the “Rough Riders”? Or how about when BC played Montreal for the “Eastern Championship”? No, there are many more silly things than the “Double Blue” playing in a Red stadium.

Some have questioned our vision for this team. It is true that we originally planned to jointly share the costs of the stadium. We returned to the table and subsequently left it again only to return once more… er, twice more. That’s all true. Remember though that we play in a league that awards points for failing such as the single point for missing a field goal. We also provide a safe haven for drug offenders and ex-cons which is keeping with the idea of second chances. Speaking of which, it shall be great when Ottawa gets a team… again.

I know you share our view that it is incredibly hard to make the playoffs when only 6 of 8 teams qualify. Rest assured that even though we are considering moving you to a more expensive, outdoor and poorly suited venue for our game, we have your best interests at heart.

Sincerely,

rocker
12-06-2009, 02:03 PM
this made me laugh... good stuff

ensco
12-06-2009, 04:06 PM
This is Nicolson's diary entry from yesterday:

I spent all those years kissing the butts of every last NHL dickhead, and working for these clowns is the best job I could find?

I desparately tried to talk these two out of this stupid soccer stadium gambit. I warned them that the league and TSN will never go for it, and it will hurt us with the 5,000 people left who still care about The Argos, but no...

I get to be the only team president in any league anywhere who gets to send a note to season ticket holders saying we have no idea where we're going to play next year, and for that matter we have no idea about much of anything else relating to the team either.

I see Laviolette's been hired back into the NHL, that opens up a spot on TSN.....I wonder if I can take his spot, like maybe right now, before I totally destroy what's left of my good name promoting these wild-ass cheapskate moves in public.....

FluSH
12-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Ottawa doesn't have a CFL team?

TFCRegina
12-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Ottawa doesn't have a CFL team?

Not unless the Phantoms who play 0 games a season are their team.