PDA

View Full Version : An idea for a "Supporter's Gate" at BMO field.

billyfly
12-05-2009, 02:17 PM
My idea (and I've tried to get Paul B to buy into this) is a "supporters gate" worthy of the the support we give TFC.

Basically (in the style of Anfield's gates) a large coat of arms of either Toronto or Canada (National soccer stadium). See pictures and vote.

Some of you know that I once saw an existing large wrought iron Canadian coat of arms at MLG that has since disappeared. I am trying to locate it or at least find out what happened to it. This would be a great thing to put on display at BMO.

If we can't find it/obtain it, I'd like MLSE to get one or, since I come from a family of welders/artists, we make one and donate it to BMO Field.

What better way to put a nice little stamp on our stadium in these perilous times.

Questions? Ideas? Wanna help?

1- Toronto (Modern)
http://www.toronto.ca/wes/techservices/oem/husar/images/coatofarms.jpg

2- Toronto (Old)

http://www.ngw.nl/int/can/images/toronto.jpg

Canada:

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/dess/images/colour_arms_bw.gifhttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/173/472125575_4fd91e167d.jpg?v=0

billyfly
12-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I've had this idea for a while but with North expansion, the threat of the Argos, the PAN AM games coming, the opinion of some that TFC's badge have more "history" in it etc, I thought I'd create a thread and see how it goes.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-05-2009, 02:40 PM
I would LOVE to see something like that. The coat of arms of Canada might be appropriate since it's also the national soccer stadium, but the old coat of arms of TO looks SHARP, although with the approximately 8 zillion references to Great Britain on it and inappropriate First Nations stereotype, I can see why they changed it...

Either would rock.

There's also the coat of arms of Ontario:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Coat_of_Arms_of_Ontario.png

billyfly
12-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Let's do 'em all!

billyfly
12-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I see lots of views and very few votes or comments.

Cashcleaner
12-05-2009, 03:14 PM
The Coat of Arms of Canada is quite possibly the classiest in the world. That is all.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Agreed, after considering all the options, that's what I voted for.

billyfly
12-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Dang. If I am stuck making this thing, its the hardest, most intricate one.

Oh well, it would be worth it.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-05-2009, 03:35 PM
We'd all be indebted to you for life if you did. :) Still, unless they auctioned it off, gave it away, melted it down or threw it out, the Canada coat of arms is the one on the gate MLSE may or may not have, which works out best.

Cashcleaner
12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Dang. If I am stuck making this thing, its the hardest, most intricate one.

Oh well, it would be worth it.

I don't think you'd have to make one yourself. You see the big metal plaques all over courthouses and other public buildings, so there's probably a way to buy one, perhaps from the government.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-05-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure he's talking about the same thing, though... I think we're talking about a ginormous gate actually in the shape of the coat of arms, not one that just has the coat of arms on it.

nascarguy
12-05-2009, 06:09 PM
just put a tfc logo on it.

MG42
12-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure he's talking about the same thing, though... I think we're talking about a ginormous gate actually in the shape of the coat of arms, not one that just has the coat of arms on it.

http://www.lfchistory.net/images/shankly.bill/shanklygatesx1075.JPG

http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/%7Epenn/papers/roger/FootballStadia/15%20PAISLEY%20GATEWAY%20ANFIELD%20LIVERPOOL%20FC. jpg

Eastend
12-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I vote for the Canada Coat of Arms. That would be awesome it the club bought into that idea.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-05-2009, 10:02 PM
The Canadian Coat of Arms is total class. It would make a great addition to our national soccer stadium.

SQUIRREL
12-06-2009, 09:37 AM
The Canadian Coat of Arms. That's my vote

Mark in Ottawa
12-06-2009, 09:49 AM
4 gates at BMO... So pick the best 4 designs.

Batman
12-06-2009, 10:12 AM
http://indistinctunion.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/447px-coat_of_arms_of_canadasvg.png

Batman
12-06-2009, 10:14 AM
I like the idea.... time to add a little class to the stadium.

billyfly
12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Well if we put some "pressure" on Paul, maybe it gets done

RedRum
12-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Forget it, wont happen. Other clubs might have a supporters gate. We have a BMO customers gate. That in a nutshell tells you everything you need to know about MLSE.

canadian_bhoy
12-06-2009, 11:50 AM
The best place for something like this would be in the middle of the south end. All the other entrances already have "gates". Gate 3 has the big BMO Field sign and iron gates to get in.

But - the south end entrance in the middle of the south end doesn't have anything. It might be nice there.

Personally, I think the next thing to be built at BMO should be a roof over the south end.

FluSH
12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Forget it, wont happen. Other clubs might have a supporters gate. We have a BMO customers gate. That in a nutshell tells you everything you need to know about MLSE.

haha

Can it look like this then...

http://www.scripophily.com/webcart/vigs/bankofmontrealvig.jpg

FluSH
12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
The best place for something like this would be in the middle of the south end. All the other entrances already have "gates". Gate 3 has the big BMO Field sign and iron gates to get in.

But - the south end entrance in the middle of the south end doesn't have anything. It might be nice there.

Personally, I think the next thing to be built at BMO should be a roof over the south end.

THANK YOU!

This needs to happen... in my lifetime!

James Oliphant
12-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I'd agree on the roof idea...but only for the purposes of containing the sound. I'm actually fond of the elements. Rainy nights tend to bring out my loudest voice.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Haha, I agree. :D Strangely I actually don't mind getting rained on at BMO at all.

billyfly
12-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Rain refills my beer cup free.

billyfly
12-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Somewhere here as well

http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/gate4.jpg

billyfly
12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Judging by the poll results so far its looking like Canada is winning.

I wonder if I shoud start a thread on the Voyageurs site?

james
12-06-2009, 07:33 PM

ya but most fans in the south end dont actually care about getting wet and more just about making a louder atmosphere. Where many fans in the east and west stands where people pay more money for there seats dont show up to games that rains. If the south end got a stand fans in other sections would complain that they deserve a roof as well and every stand would need a roof then which could cost quite a bit of money.

IF anything the south end stand would be the last stand to get a roof since they are the cheap seats. Getting a roof in the south stand also may mean they will raise ticket prices.

RedWookie
12-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Great idea but why not wait for a while to see if BMO will continue to expand or not?

billyfly
12-06-2009, 07:56 PM
^What's stopping them from them moving it if they have to? Why wait?

Unless you are talking about a roof and then pls leave teh roof talk to the roof threads.

This is about the beauty of coats of arms and wrought iron!

RedWookie
12-06-2009, 08:02 PM
^
no roof talk. I just didn't know if the gates were permanent when installed. the wrought iron does look incredibly sexy

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
ya but most fans in the south end dont actually care about getting wet and more just about making a louder atmosphere. Where many fans in the east and west stands where people pay more money for there seats dont show up to games that rains. If the south end got a stand fans in other sections would complain that they deserve a roof as well and every stand would need a roof then which could cost quite a bit of money.

IF anything the south end stand would be the last stand to get a roof since they are the cheap seats. Getting a roof in the south stand also may mean they will raise ticket prices.
Roof also = much better atmosphere. It amplifies chants like you would not believe.

Judging by the poll results so far its looking like Canada is winning.

I wonder if I shoud start a thread on the Voyageurs site?

Good idea! I'm sure they'd be keen on it. I'd do it if I wasn't so lazy. :)

McGill
12-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Sounds like an interesting idea.

kitchener-TFC
12-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Canada's got a unicorn on the coat of arms? I never noticed that.

Cashcleaner
12-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Canada's got a unicorn on the coat of arms? I never noticed that.

It represents Scotland. :D

Heraldry is a really interesting subject. For almost every component to a crest or coat-of-arms, there is a deeper meaning behind it.

Bloor West FC
12-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Well actually the next thing that will be built is a BMO bank right beside the dressing rooms. The next thing will be cushy seats with personal computers so we can order sushi and stay up to date with stocks and meeting's all around the world. And don't forget to order your limited edition MLSE platinum pen for making those appointments that you think of during the game. Ahhh shit i hope this doesnt happen LOL

billyfly
12-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Posted duplicate thread on the Voyageurs board.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 12:08 PM
^I says pardon?

uncle p
12-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Here we go, yet another dick measuring contest...
Might wanna explain yourself on this as your bout to get flamed!!

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-07-2009, 01:23 PM
WTF?

Cashcleaner
12-07-2009, 01:54 PM

Exactly! Our gates will be wayyyyy better than those at other stadiums. The guys in Montreal and Vancouver can only hope to have gates even half as good as ours.

:flare::canada::drum:GATES! GATES! GATES! GATES! GATES! :drum::canada::flare:

Vhoghul
12-07-2009, 01:59 PM
It'll probably be done in a year or two, but quick entrance aside, I'll walk around to avoid going through the KIA/BMO/Carlsburg "Probably the best entrance in the world".

Sean

AL-MO
12-07-2009, 02:17 PM

What is the matter, not measuring up?

MisterMacphisto
12-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Let's win a couple of Championships / Supporters Shields before we start talking about dressing up the stadium.

Until then, I think its undeserved self falatio.

Once we have a championship team and franchise attitude, cool.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 03:10 PM
I like TFC and BMO.

I like wrought iron.

I wanted to put the 2 together.

That's the extent of my plan.

I now see 3 (and counting?) attempts to equate my idea to wanting a bigger dick, trying to sell the idea to a sponsor, and masturbation.

My dick is fine thank you very much.

This is coming from a fan who is willing to make it himself in his spare time.

The self falatio thread is the Hab year long birthday party. http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18904

ManUtd4ever
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Definitely the Canadian Shield...In fact, the CMNT should adopt it as a new crest for the national team jersey...

AL-MO
12-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Let's win a couple of Championships / Supporters Shields before we start talking about dressing up the stadium.

Until then, I think its undeserved self falatio.

Once we have a championship team and franchise attitude, cool.

Are you actually taking this THAT seriously? I agree with what you are saying,(in principle) but its the offseason. And not to disrespect Billy, but there isn't much else to talk about/focus on ATM.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I am seriously taking my wrought iron and welding equipment and going home. I am leaving this sandbox.:rolleyes:

T-Bird
12-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I liike the Toronto old one...I REALLY like the Canada one but it's Toronto and I personally think if they did it it should be more representative of our city.

The Professor
12-07-2009, 04:52 PM
undeserved self falatio.

Think about that concept for a moment.

Except for the masochist, can there be such thing?

Just asking.

Antifa Bhoy
12-07-2009, 05:13 PM
maybe we should wait until we have a little more history then building a special supporters entrance when half of this group is talking about relocating to the north stands if they are allowed to if and when that happens. i personally don't understand why there's a need to copy everything anfield road.

maybe after 15 years when the supporters section is really full of supporters and not just a couple of sections with sporadic clusters of "supporters", then it would be fitting to install a nice fancy gate for the supporters. threads like these come off as such an ego boosting bullshit topic....the club and it's front office should do this on their own, as a gift to the supporters, not the other way around.

It should be something earned, not gained with emails and votes.

and for fucks sake, we will never be anfield road, or celtic park, or old trafford, or anything else...stop trying to create this special unique stadium and allow time and history to do that on its own.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 05:59 PM
I only used Anfield as an example for people to visualize the idea. I am not Scouse.

I am a MANC for EPL purposes.

This really started as a love for the coat of arms I saw all those years ago. I finally thought I found a home for it - BMO.

I am calling it a "Supporters Gate" b/c I am really trying to sell the idea and that includes giving it a reason to exist. Southend main gate= large number of Supporters etc.

Replace this idea with any of the ideas we've had for TIFOs and banners. Same concept.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't care if there are some people that are not as enthusiastic about this idea as me but PLEASE do not accuse me of copying or not being genuine etc.

To those of you that love to piss on people's ideas, I believe it was a famous Scouse that once said "Eat a Dick"

The Professor
12-07-2009, 06:20 PM
maybe we should wait until we have a little more history then building a special supporters entrance when half of this group is talking about relocating to the north stands if they are allowed to if and when that happens. i personally don't understand why there's a need to copy everything anfield road.

maybe after 15 years when the supporters section is really full of supporters and not just a couple of sections with sporadic clusters of "supporters", then it would be fitting to install a nice fancy gate for the supporters. threads like these come off as such an ego boosting bullshit topic....the club and it's front office should do this on their own, as a gift to the supporters, not the other way around.

It should be something earned, not gained with emails and votes.

and for fucks sake, we will never be anfield road, or celtic park, or old trafford, or anything else...stop trying to create this special unique stadium and allow time and history to do that on its own.

History doesn't do a damn thing on its own. People make history.

Billy's merely suggesting we could be those people helping make history with regards to a Supporters Gate.

But, hey, wait out the years until the team and the supporter groups have enough "history". Then see how many more people get overly passionate about the issue in whole new ways.

History isn't always the good thing you suggest. Sometimes its actually smart to start a project when things are fresh and new.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Thank you Ross.

mikenfer
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
My vote's for the Canadian coat of arms. Billyfly, I didn't know you could weld! Gimme a call and I'll see what I can do to help.

canadian_bhoy
12-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't think I've ever seen so much hostility towards someone suggesting the team build a gate to make the stadium look nicer.

Nice looking iron gate? damn you billy! You attention whore! Damn you to hell!!!!! :p

iansmcl
12-07-2009, 07:29 PM
The Canadian one is really nice lookin'... but we're Toronto FC not Canada FC... and for that reason, I'd go with the new Toronto design (since it's the better of the two T.O. designs) but I would prefer a modified Toronto-centred design really.

(Yes, I know it's also the NSS but I'd prefer a TFC design unless we get some more national team games here).

Antifa Bhoy
12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't care if there are some people that are not as enthusiastic about this idea as me but PLEASE do not accuse me of copying or not being genuine etc.

To those of you that love to piss on people's ideas, I believe it was a famous Scouse that once said "Eat a Dick"

well you should expect criticism in a public forum and not be so tender breast. it's not like i attacked you or anything...the fact of the matter is a lot of TFC fans, including those in front office, are trying to develop some sort of anfield-ish history rather then letting it happen on it's own. yeah it's the off-season, and there's not much to talk about...still doesn't make this a better idea.

and it was a cockney that said to a certain scouse football player "Stop being such a whiny cunt".

History doesn't do a damn thing on its own. People make history.

Billy's merely suggesting we could be those people helping make history with regards to a Supporters Gate.

But, hey, wait out the years until the team and the supporter groups have enough "history". Then see how many more people get overly passionate about the issue in whole new ways.

History isn't always the good thing you suggest. Sometimes its actually smart to start a project when things are fresh and new.

"History doesn't do a damn thing on its own. People make history."

what the fuck is that supposed to mean? of course people make history, so i don't see what your point is. maybe you shouldn't miss the point that people at anfield road didn't make a poll on a website to gather interest in approaching their FO to make THEM a supporters gate....but rather that the FO should do that on their OWN, as a gift to the supporters, when they seem fit.

"History isn't always the good thing you suggest. Sometimes its actually smart to start a project when things are fresh and new."

:picard:....whaaat? following this line of thinking i'm going to request that we also get MLSE to replace the metal stands with pre-aged 40 year old wood and stain it to look as if it's an additional 40 years old....hey we can also ask them to hang a plaque at the entrance to gate 3 to thank the fans of 25 years of support through both thick and thin. fuck letting history do its own thing and allowing our heritage and stories with this club unfold on it's own...we need to pre-plan it ahead, just like mojo's 5 year plan! proven results!

JDG
12-07-2009, 08:00 PM
well you should expect criticism in a public forum and not be so tender breast. it's not like i attacked you or anything...the fact of the matter is a lot of TFC fans, including those in front office, are trying to develop some sort of anfield-ish history rather then letting it happen on it's own. yeah it's the off-season, and there's not much to talk about...still doesn't make this a better idea.

and it was a cockney that said to a certain scouse football player "Stop being such a whiny cunt".

what the fuck is that supposed to mean? of course people make history, so i don't see what your point is. maybe you shouldn't miss the point that people at anfield road didn't make a poll on a website to gather interest in approaching their FO to make THEM a supporters gate....but rather that the FO should do that on their OWN, as a gift to the supporters, when they seem fit.

"History isn't always the good thing you suggest. Sometimes its actually smart to start a project when things are fresh and new."

:picard:....whaaat? following this line of thinking i'm going to request that we also get MLSE to replace the metal stands with pre-aged 40 year old wood and stain it to look as if it's an additional 40 years old....hey we can also ask them to hang a plaque at the entrance to gate 3 to thank the fans of 25 years of support through both thick and thin. fuck letting history do its own thing and allowing our heritage and stories with this club unfold on it's own...we need to pre-plan it ahead, just like mojo's 5 year plan! proven results!

You stand in the North I believe, so why would you give a shit what anyone is talking about doing to a South end gate? :picard:

Antifa Bhoy
12-07-2009, 08:44 PM
You stand in the North I believe, so why would you give a shit what anyone is talking about doing to a South end gate? :picard:

more then half of your paid members stand don't stand in the south stand, why do you give a shit about what they think?

billyfly
12-07-2009, 08:47 PM
[quote=Antifa Bhoy;816582]well you should expect criticism in a public forum and not be so tender breast. it's not like i attacked you or anything...the fact of the matter is a lot of TFC fans, including those in front office, are trying to develop some sort of anfield-ish history rather then letting it happen on it's own. yeah it's the off-season, and there's not much to talk about...still doesn't make this a better idea.

Criticism I can take. Just pissing on an idea that I think is a damn good one I prefer to respond with like. Speaking of Anfield copying..it that a Celtic player on your avatar?, the same team that also sings YNWA?

Again I'd like to reiterate that this idea comes from my quest to find this coat of arms I once saw and actually have it displayed in a place that makes sense (at least to me). Nothing more and nothing less.

Antifa Bhoy
12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Again I'd like to reiterate that this idea comes from my quest to find this coat of arms I once saw and actually have it displayed in a place that makes sense (at least to me). Nothing more and nothing less.

and dude that's cool, but i just think it's far too soon. maybe get them to erect it in your end at the top of the section...but as far as a supporters gate like in anfield, etc....that is something the club should want to do on their own, not something the fans do for themselves.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Can we all pls not fight about this? I will pursue this with or without some people's approval. It will most probably never happen but I think it will be cool and if it never happens you can all laugh at me etc.

Marianne
12-07-2009, 08:54 PM

Ummm... so, just so we're clear..... what is your stance on this? In one breath you rant that history should "unfold" but then agree that people "make" history.

Arguing for just for the sake of arguing, are we?

billyfly
12-07-2009, 08:55 PM
^ Yeah dude I don't know you but it sounds like you're NEE. I don't need to have this turn into SG's against one another.

This isn't about Anfield. This is about trying to claim a stadium for TFC and Canada with as much "stamps" as we can muster to fight off the Argos.

Paul B has entertained the idea with me slighty and who knows, maybe the FO would give us this gift.

werewolf
12-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Somebody better alert Randy Lerner that the scousers have secretly taken over Birmingham with the Anfield-ish gates at Villa Park!

http://www.freewebs.com/tims92/Aston%20Villa/Villa%20Park%204.jpg

egoodwin
12-07-2009, 09:00 PM
why would you want to incorporate gates that are associated with a building for a different team playing a different sport into BMO Field?

It would be like the Fire having the organ from Chicago Stadium at Toyota Park...

billyfly
12-07-2009, 09:02 PM
People! This Is Not About Anfield!

egoodwin
12-07-2009, 09:03 PM
^ Yeah dude I don't know you but it sounds like you're NEE. I don't need to have this turn into SG's against one another.

This isn't about Anfield. This is about trying to claim a stadium for TFC and Canada with as much "stamps" as we can muster to fight off the Argos.

Paul B has entertained the idea with me slighty and who knows, maybe the FO would give us this gift.
being NEE or not has nothing to do with the issue of having a gate... And who gives a shit where he stands or who he's with... He is a STH and supporter just like you, and as such, has just as much right to an opinion on what happens to the stadium as you do...

I don't know what your trying to pull bringing supporter groups into this, but this is not about SGs... this is about trying to bring in a fancy gate that suggests our team and stadium has history, when it just does not yet...

Antifa Bhoy
12-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Ummm... so, just so we're clear..... what is your stance on this? In one breath you rant that history should "unfold" but then agree that people "make" history.

Arguing for just for the sake of arguing, are we?

hurr derp people are involved in history which was the point i was making, as opposed to people fabricating history, as in what some people on these boards (a few members and non-members that post here seem to want to do).

People should be involved in the history, not trying to fabricate it out of thin air. no SG's at BMO deserve any special gate like other stadiums have for their fans. we aren't at that level yet and the team and fans should be more focused on the atmosphere inside the stadium rather then the gate outside the stadium.

if billyboy wants to make a special rig that he welds himself, go for it....hang it up in 112, it would seriously look nice there. as far as any sort of special gate, no.

and fighting? jesus christ fighting is when someone punches someone else in the face, and then said person returns the punch to the others face. this is simply discussing a thread on the internet. stop getting so butthurt guys.

Antifa Bhoy
12-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Somebody better alert Randy Lerner that the scousers have secretly taken over Birmingham with the Anfield-ish gates at Villa Park!

http://www.freewebs.com/tims92/Aston%20Villa/Villa%20Park%204.jpg

no, they just probably stole it back from the scousers. an eye for an eye.

canadian_bhoy
12-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I still don't see why people are getting so bent out of shape over this. BMO already has a style in the south end with iron fencing similar to Anfield (and about a million other soccer stadiums). Billy used anfield as an example, but he could have easily used villa park or ibrox to get his point across.

I don't understand why people would be upset about someone wanting to improve the stadium. Right now the centre entrance of the south end doesn't have any stylized gate - just plain gates that open.

What's so wrong about putting a nice looking gate there for fans to get a smile out of when entering the stadium?

And one final point for all the people who seem to be blowing this out of preportion - I bet that Billy's suggestion has more to do with the Old Toronto Pics thread in Off Topic than it does to do with us wanting to rip off LFC.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 09:07 PM
being NEE or not has nothing to do with the issue of having a gate... And who gives a shit where he stands or who he's with... He is a STH and supporter just like you, and as such, has just as much right to an opinion on what happens to the stadium as you do...

I don't know what your trying to pull bringing supporter groups into this, but this is not about SGs... this is about trying to bring in a fancy gate that suggests our team and stadium has history, when it just does not yet...

Pls re-read my post. I said I do not want this to become a SG vs SG issue.

egoodwin
12-07-2009, 09:09 PM
hurr derp people are involved in history which was the point i was making, as opposed to people fabricating history, as in what some people on these boards (a few members and non-members that post here seem to want to do).

People should be involved in the history, not trying to fabricate it out of thin air. no SG's at BMO deserve any special gate like other stadiums have for their fans. we aren't at that level yet and the team and fans should be more focused on the atmosphere inside the stadium rather then the gate outside the stadium.

if billyboy wants to make a special rig that he welds himself, go for it....hang it up in 112, it would seriously look nice there. as far as any sort of special gate, no.

and fighting? jesus christ fighting is when someone punches someone else in the face, and then said person returns the punch to the others face. this is simply discussing a thread on the internet. stop getting so butthurt guys.
Oh no! a dissenting view! May day! May day! the sky is falling! the sky is falling!

Antifa Bhoy
12-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I still don't see why people are getting so bent out of shape over this. BMO already has a style in the south end with iron fencing similar to Anfield (and about a million other soccer stadiums). Billy used anfield as an example, but he could have easily used villa park or ibrox to get his point across.

I don't understand why people would be upset about someone wanting to improve the stadium. Right now the centre entrance of the south end doesn't have any stylized gate - just plain gates that open.

What's so wrong about putting a nice looking gate there for fans to get a smile out of when entering the stadium?

And one final point for all the people who seem to be blowing this out of preportion - I bet that Billy's suggestion has more to do with the Old Toronto Pics thread in Off Topic than it does to do with us wanting to rip off LFC.

just like he was using it as an example, so was i.

dude i'm pretty sure if you read ed's post again he is saying it has nothing to do with a SG v SG fight, buit rather another STH is voicing their opinion in the public section.

i'm not getting bent out of shape, i just feel, and i know others do, that this is a bit pre-mature. weld it up and hang it in 112....that makes more sense...or in the bunker are or something.

billyfly

Thank you. People that know me know that I am a Old Toronto buff. I am merely bring together a bunch of things that I like. I can see that I don't have a consensus on this.

egoodwin
it has nothing to do with SGs. this has to do with trying to fabricate history... so really I don't know why you'd bring up the NEE associations that he may or may not have, in reaction to him having a view different than yours

billyfly
12-07-2009, 09:12 PM

Gee. I totally mis-read that. "trying to pull" is not usually an expression used in polite sentences.
What I was saying is JDG brought up that he may be NEE and I was merely saying I do NOT want this to become a fight between SGs.

Roogsy
12-07-2009, 09:15 PM

Word Billy...there are some people who make it a point to piss on other people's ideas because they have nothing to contribute themselves.

Keep speaking up bro...yours is the kind of spirit people want at the stadium.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I am trying to re-claim a piece of history (MLG) and put it in a building that I have come to love rather quickly. It is also a stadium that is supposedly called the Canadian National Soccer Satdium so I thought it fits.

You guys don't like the idea, so be it.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I wanted to make a "FU ARGOS" statement. Thanks Roogs.

egoodwin
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
don't want to rain on your parade more, but what are the odds that those gates will be used in the restoration of MLG

Blizzard
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I am trying to re-claim a piece of history (MLG) and put it in a building that I have come to love rather quickly. It is also a stadium that is supposedly called the Canadian National Soccer Satdium so I thought it fits.

You guys don't like the idea, so be it.

I was about to bring up the point that this is indeed our National Soccer Stadium so why not add some more of our national emblems to the facility.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
don't want to rain on your parade more, but what are the odds that those gates will be used in the restoration of MLG

I am trying to find it with the help of others. It was under a sheet in some storage room before.

To answer your question, I don't know.

werewolf
12-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I was about to bring up the point that this is indeed our National Soccer Stadium so why not add some more of our national emblems to the facility.

That would be nice if we had more emblems signifying that. As opposed to the UN flag replication atop the south-end. While I appreciate that at certain times, I don't appreciate it when a national team is playing.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 09:32 PM

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/strange_brew_mckenzie.jpg

billyfly
12-07-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree about manufacturing history etc. IE - That Glass Tiger song is not my fav.

This idea was more than that.

canadian_bhoy
12-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Billy, do you have a pic of the Maple Leaf Gardens gate?

billyfly
12-07-2009, 10:49 PM
No. In fact I have begun to question my own memories since I can't find any references to it.I saw it in 1999/2000 when St. Mike's was using the gardens and the Leafs had left for the ACC.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Something tells me that you, sir, have completely and utterly missed the point.

The Anfield gate was provided as an example. We are not going to have You'll Never Walk Alone at the top, and if you'd bothered to read, you'd know that in fact the idea was inspired by something in Toronto; the gate at Anfield was cited as an example as an afterthought by another poster.

How on Earth is this manufacturing a fake history?

This may come across as overly confrontational, but I just hate to see people shoot down others' ideas while providing none of their own. That's why so little gets accomplished through these boards; people show up to push their own personal agenda, stir up shit, shoot down good ideas and then disappear having done nothing positive.

denime
12-07-2009, 11:04 PM
more then half of your paid members stand don't stand in the south stand, why do you give a shit about what they think?
Considering that you are not the member of this SSG, I wonder why the f*ck you and other guys from NEE are coming here in the first place.You have you forum stick it to it.

You have your gig at North and that's fine,let us do it the best way we can ,don't come here to stir the shit all the time.

No one wants you here,and no one give a damn what you think.
:rant:

billyfly
12-07-2009, 11:05 PM
I really don't want to scrap about this. I just like iron gates. Lovely, lovely iron gates.

http://www.traditionalproductreports.com/images/reports/Metal1.jpg

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Should this maybe be moved to members? So trolls don't come and do their usual trolling thing.

Roogsy
12-07-2009, 11:06 PM
History is something you are a part of and create yourself, not something you allow to happen while you wait with your thumbs up your ass.

billyfly
12-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Should this maybe be moved to members? So trolls don't come and do their usual trolling thing.

If the rest of RPB think its best, then sure.

I am going to bed now. Good night my fellow history makers.

s2cazz
12-07-2009, 11:11 PM
This is awesome. Its the internet version of monkeys throwing shit at each other.

I think the gate idea is a good one but only if they use the coat of arms from MLG. That is a piece of Toronto history.

As for the copying of anfield I don't think thats true. There are plenty others with gates as well. This is how history is made. A group of people set out to do something they believe in through their advocacy and actions.

Roogsy
12-07-2009, 11:12 PM
This is how history is made. A group of people set out to do something they believe in through their advocacy and actions.

You get it bro.

Read my last post.

Rudi
12-07-2009, 11:39 PM
:lurk5:

:D

Oh shit, anyone have any butter? My popcorn deserves it.

FluSH
12-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't think I've ever seen so much hostility towards someone suggesting the team build a gate to make the stadium look nicer.

Nice looking iron gate? damn you billy! You attention whore! Damn you to hell!!!!! :p

Let's just Perma Ban anyone who suggests anything on this website...

P.S. I could truly care less for a gate... but I'm not losing sleep over this that's for sure.

werewolf
12-07-2009, 11:48 PM
A special thank you to Orville Redenbacher for his wonderful contribution.

Rudi
12-07-2009, 11:53 PM
A special thank you to Orville Redenbacher for his wonderful contribution.
He's a King Among Men, but I'm more of an Act II guy myself.

Much more butter in Act II. And I love me some butter.

werewolf
12-08-2009, 12:10 AM
I really don't want to scrap about this. I just like iron gates. Lovely, lovely iron gates.

http://www.traditionalproductreports.com/images/reports/Metal1.jpg

that gate is too small.

s2cazz
12-08-2009, 01:05 AM

Act II is definately more deserving of praise

Ageroo
12-08-2009, 01:56 AM

We will deal with the trolls........don't you worry. :D

Cashcleaner
12-08-2009, 01:57 AM

To be honest Rudi, you do deserve butter. In fact, we all do. :D

AL-MO
12-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I prefer Margarine myself. :D

Blizzard
12-08-2009, 02:49 AM
I prefer Margarine myself. :D

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/southpark/images/9/93/200px-909_MARJORINE.jpg

CretanBull
12-08-2009, 03:47 AM
Someone suggested that it might be a cool idea if a supporters gate was installed at BMO and it turned into a 4 page arguement. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be surprised any more.

Cambridge_Red
12-08-2009, 04:31 AM
http://www.kickabola.com/showthread.php?t=15567

Rudi (http://www.kickabola.com/member.php?u=1412)
Usector Top Boy

http://www.kickabola.com/smoothred/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

http://www.kickabola.com/images/icons/icon1.gif
For the record, I was going to put up a "WE DESERVE BETTER" banner myself, but with Deniz already working on one, mine would be redundant.

Enjoy your popcorn.

FluSH
12-08-2009, 08:29 AM

Usector Top Boy

For the record, I was going to put up a "WE DESERVE BETTER" banner myself, but with Deniz already working on one, mine would be redundant.

Enjoy your popcorn.

now now... let's play nice here... there wouldn't be no popcorn if certain individuals weren't addicted to lurking and posting on our website... it's kind of pathetic really.

Ageroo
12-08-2009, 08:33 AM

Usector Top Boy

Enjoy your popcorn.

Not to sound rude or anything....but posting links like that don't get too far on OUR board. 99% of our users only use this board. I cannot even see the link.....;)

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 09:04 AM
so what did I miss over the past few days?

(looks over thread)

oh, someone came up with a cool, non-committal idea,
then people make all types of comparisons and accusations.
The whole thing goes way off topic and has very little to do with the
first post, which was just a simple, and nice idea to dress up our drab stadium

another day on the internets - but at least we banned some trolls.

KrazyKanadian
12-08-2009, 09:24 AM
This all could have been avoided if there was one more item added to the poll:
"I don't think there should be a 'supporters gate' just yet"

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 09:31 AM
This all could have been avoided if there was one more item added to the poll:
"I don't think there should be a 'supporters gate' just yet"

that was an option - it's called the 'back' button. :D

billyfly
12-08-2009, 09:34 AM
In my ignorance I never thought this would happen KK.

KrazyKanadian
12-08-2009, 09:46 AM
In my ignorance I never thought this would happen KK.

I could see it right away when I saw no option on the poll to indicate that I didn't agree with the idea. It's the nature of these boards in general and the Internet specifically...when people disagree with each other, it tends to spiral downwards.

The STHs against the idea aren't against the idea itself, just that it's too soon. It's too fabricated to put this in after only 3 years. A similar discussion has been ongoing about a TFC anthem, and while I've seen people suggest certain songs, I have seen a lot of people say they want it to happen naturally. We're a really young team and can't compare to the English teams, and I'd rather not try and force some kind of tradition on the club or supporters.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Let's just Perma Ban anyone who suggests anything on this website...

P.S. I could truly care less for a gate... but I'm not losing sleep over this that's for sure.

Note to self: Flush not allowed thru gate.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I could see it right away when I saw no option on the poll to indicate that I didn't agree with the idea. It's the nature of these boards in general and the Internet specifically...when people disagree with each other, it tends to spiral downwards.

The STHs against the idea aren't against the idea itself, just that it's too soon. It's too fabricated to put this in after only 3 years. A similar discussion has been ongoing about a TFC anthem, and while I've seen people suggest certain songs, I have seen a lot of people say they want it to happen naturally. We're a really young team and can't compare to the English teams, and I'd rather not try and force some kind of tradition on the club or supporters.

I think you guys are so on guard against fabrication that you are being a bit over-zealous on this particular idea.

If I could obtain this coat of arms I'd be happy if they hung it up anywhere. It doesn't have to be a gate. This idea was a combo of a bunch of things. My passion for "old Toronto", trying to add something to the stadium in the name of the SGs, making it more of a "national soccer stadium" etc.

I'll take the disagreement and file it under notes.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 09:54 AM

Note to self: KK not allowed to photograph new gate or coat of arms. :D

Boris
12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
so whats the point of this?
this is classic trolling now...if you have an issue with Rudi take it up with him. Dont put this stuff in the public domain on someone else's boards.

Usector Top Boy

Enjoy your popcorn.

FluSH
12-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Note to self: Flush not allowed thru gate.

Haha

Well I did vote for Canada... just cause I thought I might as well have my say in preference... but I am not overall sold on the idea...

billyfly
12-08-2009, 10:05 AM
^Ok, Ok...I am a consenus builder if I am anything. You win Flush, we'll add this to the gate.

http://images.civicheraldry.com/117/elsalvador_coa_n4123.gif

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 10:18 AM
to be honest.... I don't see how anyone can be against doing something to improve our stadium.

I don't get that at all. Adding an ornamental gate, a roof, added seats, more TV's in the concourse, more washrooms, a larger gated section by the food building, HD broadcast camera, more food options, etc etc etc.

Sure those things aren't related to the team's record, but that doesn't mean they are bad.

Roogsy
12-08-2009, 10:20 AM
I never realized that supporters efforts to create history were directly tied to a team's winning percentage.

How did teams that never win anything ever create their own history?

canadian_bhoy
12-08-2009, 10:21 AM
to be honest.... I don't see how anyone can be against doing something to improve our stadium.

I don't get that at all. Adding an ornamental gate, a roof, added seats, more TV's in the concourse, more washrooms, a larger gated section by the food building, HD broadcast camera, more food options, etc etc etc.

Sure those things aren't related to the team's record, but that doesn't mean they are bad.

Uh Oh...I actually agree with Parkdale about something
http://obscurepop.com/media/scannersheadexplode.gif

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Uh Oh...I actually agree with Parkdale about something

it's been known to happen, and so do full solar eclipses in the same year as Haley's Comet.

CretanBull
12-08-2009, 10:25 AM

More washrooms? You heretic! Stop trying to shove fabricated history down our throats!

billyfly
12-08-2009, 10:26 AM
For the MLSE haters, I have this design:

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/large/22f1f0f9-8704-469a-bd71-b93b52346126.JPG

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm not really sure what people are getting at with the whole 'manufacturing a fake history thing' anyway. History isn't something that just happens on it's own. You know why they call it the pre-historic era? Because nobody really did anything of note other than epic feats of hunter-gatherage, like killing sabertooth tigers, and getting frozen into blocks of ice because they were too lazy to migrate way from advancing glaciers.

It's people who make history, it's not just something that happens. I suppose the Greeks were manufacturing a plastic history when they built that tacky Parthenon thingy?

And in any case; how can this be construed as an attempt to make history? It's an attempt to add some flavour to the stadium, it's a gate with the Canadian coat of arms, not a massive 'This Is Our House' placard or something. And what I really find surprising is seeming opposition from some to the idea of one of our own making this gate... that's kinda weird.

I can understand not wanting a gate, but the 'fake history' thing doesn't make sense to me.

KrazyKanadian
12-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I never realized that supporters efforts to create history were directly tied to a team's winning percentage.

How did teams that never win anything ever create their own history?

Winning percentage has nothing to do with it. I don't know where you got that idea. History is created with time and events...we are just starting to create our own history (Seat Cushion frisbee, Year 1 Streamer Showers, Dichio24, Year 1 Pitch Invasion, Columbus Invasion) and all of that happened naturally. Nothing was forced. Is it so wrong to let things like that happen on their own?

And in any case; how can this be construed as an attempt to make history? It's an attempt to add some flavour to the stadium, it's a gate with the Canadian coat of arms, not a massive 'This Is Our House' placard or something.

And what if it was a "this is our house" banner? Would everyone's opinion change then?

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-08-2009, 10:33 AM
It was about as forced as this was: a person, or a group of people, made them happen. The Dichio chant didn't come to someone as a vision in a dream, and it wasn't discovered written on stone tablets under Shoeless Joe's by FluSH on an archeological dig. That would be an instance of something happening completely 'naturally', with no human intervention. Everything that's happened with TFC has been the result of someone or a group of people taking initiative.

Roogsy
12-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Nothing was forced. Is it so wrong to let things like that happen on their own?

When something comes from the heart, it is not forced.

And no, it is not wrong to let things happen on their own, but things like what Billy is suggesting isn't one of those things that simply appear out of thin air. Someone has to suggest it, it gets mulled over time and eventually it happens. I don't see anywhere in this thread where it says that the gate needs to be there by opening game 2010.

But instead of it happening in a timely manner, when people resist all it does is ensure that it happens after it naturally should.

As for winning percentage...go back and read the comments and tell me your statements are inline with the other ones with regards to winning.

Roogsy
12-08-2009, 10:34 AM
It was about as forced as this was: a person, or a group of people, made them happen. The Dichio chant didn't come to someone as a vision in a dream, or be discovered written on stone tablets under Shoeless Joe's by FluSH on an archeological dig. That would be an instance of something happening completely 'naturally', with no human intervention. Everything that's happened with TFC has been the result of someone or a group of people taking initiative.

Bro...you are on fire! :flare:

billyfly
12-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I am gonna sneak this into the artwork as well....

http://www.sinnacle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sporting_clube_de_portugal.png

Whoop
12-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Ah, the joys of the off-season.

Whoop
12-08-2009, 10:36 AM
^^
The hell you will billy.

Roogsy
12-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Wouldn't it be "To hell with you Billy"? :lol:

FluSH
12-08-2009, 10:38 AM
^Ok, Ok...I am a consenus builder if I am anything. You win Flush, we'll add this to the gate.

http://images.civicheraldry.com/117/elsalvador_coa_n4123.gif

HAHA

Do I dare say the Canada Coat of Arms looks better (to the risk of being lynched by my fellow Cuzcatlecos)... I mean why is there a red smurf cap on this crest!

CretanBull
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Winning percentage has nothing to do with it. I don't know where you got that idea. History is created with time and events...we are just starting to create our own history (Seat Cushion frisbee, Year 1 Streamer Showers, Dichio24, Year 1 Pitch Invasion, Columbus Invasion) and all of that happened naturally. Nothing was forced. Is it so wrong to let things like that happen on their own?

I agree with you in spirit, but I don't see how adding a gate fits into what you're saying. How is a gate history - fabricated or otherwise? When it comes to a supporter's culture things like you mentioned should evolve organically and naturally...if MLSE came to us and said "Ok, your new tradition is to sing for Dichio in the 24th minute of every game" it never would have caught on. Adding an ornate gate can't happen on its own, if its to happen then it needs to come at someone's initiative.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Other ideas:

http://www.art-portrets.ru/image2/siluet_devushki.jpg

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/228921/2/istockphoto_228921-girl-silhouette.jpg

http://www.google.ca/images?q=tbn:7ta6t765S4ygVM::www.customnames.com/images/girl2.jpg&h=94&w=135&usg=__yVF9Pt5Qf-9uqAz4zlIBvbAuouM=

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Actually aside from the random smurf cap, I think it looks ok... lol

Whoop
12-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Still have to laugh.

All this animosity over an idea.

I'm with Flush, while a great idea, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Now, a roof... that would be creating history. LOL

Ageroo
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I am gonna sneak this into the artwork as well....

http://www.sinnacle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sporting_clube_de_portugal.png

Note to self: Billy not allowed through said gates.....

billyfly
12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Again I am a consenus builder. How about this - We could build a roof the way they build shanty towns. Slowly over time with pieces from here and there. Organically.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-08-2009, 10:44 AM

And what if it was a "this is our house" banner? Would everyone's opinion change then?
Well, there is quite a difference between the two in my opinion at least. A Canadian coat of arms is likely to be something that never falls out of favour, and it is our national soccer stadium, so it fits quite naturally. Whereas 'this is our house' could fall out of favour within the next year or two; its popularity has already dropped like a stone for one thing.

I would probably even be against a Dichio gate or something of that sort. I love DD to bits, but seeing as we've only been around for 3 years, it is very premature.

But I don't see how that argument can apply to a Canadian coat of arms gate, is all.

Ageroo
12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Again I am a consenus builder. How about this - We could build a roof the way they build shanty towns. Slowly over time with pieces from here and there. Organically.

You mean like a bird's nest or a beaver's dam? :D

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
put this on the gate:

http://yosemite-sam.net/Sam/Vehicles/Sam-Mudflaps-2.jpg

billyfly
12-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Not sure what thread I started is my number 1 of all-time. Old Toronto or this one?

billyfly
12-08-2009, 10:47 AM
You mean like a bird's nest or a beaver's dam? :D

But they are both technically "fabricated" so I am not sure.

I_AM_CANADIAN
put this on the gate:

I endorse this idea.

Ageroo
put this on the gate:

That picture does not look like it is from a store catalogue....me thinks that is from your place......does that fit on the back of your bike? :)

billyfly
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I hope PB lovingly known as "peanut butter" reads this.

Whoop
12-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Which style? Wood? Aluminum? Sheet metal?

http://www.ardia.net/dan/photos/Rio-%20nice%20roof%20top%20favela%20shot.jpg

canadian_bhoy
12-08-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm still pissed that MLSE had the gaul to call it the "supporters section" in year one. You can't just call a section something. Where's Paul when you need him! Get me my pitchfork!

Parkdale
http://web.mac.com/johnwcoleman/Coleman_Corner/The_Crypt_files/AbandonAllHope.jpg

billyfly
Not sure what thread I started is my number 1 of all-time. Old Toronto or this one?

We should have a thread of the year poll.

Based on # Hits, creativity, quality of discussion, # of bannings etc.

Ageroo
But they are both technically "fabricated" so I am not sure.

ha ha....I almost spit my coffee out...that would have been a rough call to the tech guys to explain that one.......well said my friend. Those damn birds and beavers have been fabricating shit for centuries...!

Ageroo
12-08-2009, 10:54 AM

This would be up there....but you can't toot your own horn and call for an award....that is just not cool.....it is not even internet cool. :D

billyfly
12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Not saying I'd win but I am giving myself a pat on the back over this thread as I type this.

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm still pissed that MLSE had the gaul to call it the "supporters section" in year one. You can't just call a section something. Where's Paul when you need him! Get me my pitchfork!

hahahaha...

http://movietonic.com/hollywood/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/800px-simpsons_angry_mob.png

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-08-2009, 10:56 AM

You can't just create an award, it has to happen organically. *tsk*

http://www.sacredearth.com/Ezine/summer06/organic_produce.jpg

Ageroo
12-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Even organically grown stuff has to be tended to....so maybe not so organic after all....;)

KrazyKanadian
12-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Well clearly my personal opinion on the issue doesn't matter, and the since the mob has spoken, I shall leave.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Well clearly my personal opinion on the issue doesn't matter, and the since the mob has spoken, I shall leave.

Of course it does. I was told not to take people's input so seriously so pls don't take our jokes seriously either.

FluSH
12-08-2009, 11:16 AM

http://www.sacredearth.com/Ezine/summer06/organic_produce.jpg

This Organic picture has to be the greatest thing since...

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 11:23 AM
http://www.alternativeconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/Ross/ROSS_SPRING/100_organic.jpg

^ now with added females

nobodybeatsthewiz
12-08-2009, 11:29 AM
the funnies are the ones that make me laughs

The Professor
12-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Even organically grown stuff has to be regularly buried in shit

fixed :D

Rudi
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM

Usector Top Boy

Enjoy your popcorn.
That post of mine, along with the entire thread, was clearly edited.

I actually wanted the banner to look like this:

http://www.wackypackages2007.com/images/ANS3/12-not-better.jpg

I will no longer stand for such a misappropriation of my awesome idea.

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 11:43 AM
this one is for you billy

http://images.travelpod.com/users/patgower/3.1249161242.gate-to-metal-museum.jpg

billyfly
12-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I think the chances of this ever happening are small (at least by my hand). It is amusing though how many different topics revert back to core disagreements and opinions though.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 11:44 AM
this one is for you billy

http://images.travelpod.com/users/patgower/3.1249161242.gate-to-metal-museum.jpg

Dig it. Summer vacation decided and booked.

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 11:50 AM
how about a fancy 'grate' ?

http://www.crainium.net/jdjArchives/JapaneseManholeCover.jpg

Nomad
12-08-2009, 12:21 PM
That post of mine, along with the entire thread, was clearly edited.

You know that's not true.

Damn it, i don't want to post in this thread....but i just have a question.

Was your posts about supporting the walkout on the old Supporters United section edited as well? :rolleyes:

billyfly
12-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I forgot to mention that BMO has existing "inherited" features already.

BMO's gate 4 is from the old HHOF building in which they re-used the canopy and the mural.

http://pages.interlog.com/%7Eurbanism/hockey1.jpeg

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2007b/0427_bmo_ajm/web_19_ajm.jpg

Fiin
12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
:lurk5:

:D

Oh shit, anyone have any butter? My popcorn deserves it.

I got some over here but it would involve leaving the bar 1st and getting some collective shit together to go get it..thus sadly, your popcorn will likely remain un-buttered.

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Was your posts about supporting the walkout on the old Supporters United section edited as well? :rolleyes:

word of advice:

now is not the time to be adding any fuel to the fire. thanks.

Boris
12-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Nomad,
please keep this sort of conversation out of these boards. If its really an important issue then talk to him personally.

Hitcho
12-08-2009, 12:46 PM
It's way too early for iron gates for TFC.

Bump this thread at the start of season 30 and let's think about it again then.

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 12:46 PM
hahaha... how many simultaneous warnings can we do?

Boris
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
again...as i said. This is not needed. Stay on topic

I got some over here but it would involve leaving the bar 1st and getting some collective shit together to go get it..thus sadly, your popcorn will likely remain un-buttered.

Vhoghul
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
word of advice:

now is not the time to be adding any fuel to the fire. thanks.

Guys, listen to Ulite... trolling is bad...

billyfly
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
It's way too early for iron gates for TFC.

Bump this thread at the start of season 30 and let's think about it again then.

I still don't understand what the issue is with gates?

Do people have bad childhood memories of iron gates?

In all seriousness, this doesn't have to be about gates, it could also be about incorporating nice "stamps" into a fairly mundane and aluminum stadium.

Rudi
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM

Of course it's true. Why did you just edit out the rest of the my post from above? Is that some sort of edict with you guys?

I wanted "I Can't Believe It's Not Better" as our banner, like sooooooooooooo badly dude. Of course you already knew that, since you had access to that thread in all its originality at the same time as me, right.

So, are you going to post the walkout thread link, or should I? I know it's so relevant to the rest of this thread. :D

The RPB public board deserves:

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/36731.gif

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Guys, listen to Ulite... trolling is bad...

yeah, that was the longest 4 hours of my life - it was one night, get over it.

Vhoghul
12-08-2009, 12:52 PM

In all seriousness, this doesn't have to be about gates, it could also be about incorporating nice "stamps" into a fairly mundane and aluminum stadium.

I think it has to do with just not feeling we've earned it yet... like retiring jersey #12.. it's too soon, but one day...

Myself, I don't care, a gate is a gate.. my only problem is they'll probably sell the naming rights to some company... I would more, read some consistent, style at BMO, and a wrought iron gate I wouldn't have an issue with...

I personally think that in 20 years when the whole thing falls apart, we DEFINITELY need to do something like this... but I also think we need to get someone who knows what they're doing to work on the appearance design, and not just the functional design...

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I think it has to do with just not feeling we've earned it yet....

against modern gates

Eastend
12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
wow...just, wow.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
The Coat of Arms doesn't have to be in the gates either. As long as we could save some Toronto sporting history, BMO is as good a location as any to display it.

Hell, I'd even love a 70's airbrushed Chicano Van art painting of our MTL victory somewhere at BMO.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs41/300W/f/2009/010/8/d/CONAN_RAGE_by_maxetormer.jpg

Fiin
12-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Going into year 4, with our biggest claim to fame being we beat up a USL B side, and we want gates?

Rudi
I feel like such a celebrity amongst people I've never met, spoken to or about, or even personally bothered with.

I feel like this chick:

http://morningpunches.com/ratchetravings/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/obsession.jpg

But whatever, I don't have time for this. I need to get to my meeting...

http://www.newswire.ca/images/rtphotos/Photo-14250.jpg

Maybe next time you guys can make fun of the fact that I have cancer too. (I'm sure that already goes on in your little private forums as it is).

EDIT: How fucked is it that you guys lost to MY team in the supporters cup. I mean, a cripple AND a cancer patient? WTF?

Oldtimer
The best RPB thread of all time had to be Cashzilla!

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=362&pictureid=2052

Parkdale
The Coat of Arms doesn't have to be in the gates either. As long as we could save some Toronto sporting history, BMO is as good a location as any to display it.

Hell, I'd even love a 70's airbrushed Chicano Van art painting of our MTL victory somewhere at BMO.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs41/300W/f/2009/010/8/d/CONAN_RAGE_by_maxetormer.jpg

now we're talking! (it just needs more boobs)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/2544321727_a6cdd4d479.jpg?v=0

billyfly
12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
^Dude, that trophy will last us 2 years. Did you see the other thread?

Eastend
12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm not gonna read 7 pages of bickering but it's BMO field, home of Toronto FC....BUT it's also the National Soccer Stadium of Canada, why can it not have the Canadian Coat of Arms on a gate? Really?

billyfly
12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Boobs!

Parkdale
Going into year 4, with our biggest claim to fame being we beat up a USL B side, and we want gates?

who cares about 'a claim to fame' ???

Toronto FC is the team I support, and I want things to improve the stadium.
Sure it's easy to think "we didn't earn gates"... so while we're at it let's turn
off the hot water and take the toilet seats out of the washrooms.

We don't deserve them. :facepalm:

CretanBull

I'm asking this as a totally serious question - whats the relationship between having an iron gate and on the field success?

billyfly
12-08-2009, 01:01 PM

Sure it's easy to think "we didn't earn gates"... so while we're at it let's turn

Catholicism at its best.

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm asking this as a totally serious question - whats the relationship between having an iron gate and on the field success?

nothing.

I always thought you kept trophies in the trophy case, but I guess you keep them on the gate now?

Roogsy
12-08-2009, 01:02 PM
The best RPB thread of all time had to be Cashzilla!

I beg to differ.

The Hot Chick thread is the best thread of all time and I will smack the shit out of anyone who says otherwise! :boxing:

billyfly
12-08-2009, 01:03 PM
^ I thought of that Roogs.

These will be the sides of the gate:

http://www.google.ca/images?q=tbn:7ta6t765S4ygVM::www.customnames.com/images/girl2.jpg&h=94&w=135&usg=__yVF9Pt5Qf-9uqAz4zlIBvbAuouM=

Fiin
12-08-2009, 01:07 PM

Sure, I'll answer it totally seriously. I think its money that could be spent elsewhere. Also, to me, adding something like that is a reward to the players and the team, which atm, isnt deserved.

A pile of dogshit with a cherry on top is still a pile of dogshit at its core.

Fiin
12-08-2009, 01:08 PM
nothing.

I always thought you kept trophies in the trophy case, but I guess you keep them on the gate now?

All 1 of them would fit..

Hitcho
12-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Oh man - I just posted in here on page 7 without reading the rest of it, because Billy posted something about gates in the "so it begins" thread...

Now i just read a chunk of this thread and I'm wishing I hadn't bothered! :D

Anyway, to answer your question Billy, I'd be all over putting some style around the edges of BMO Field. We have big black railings all around the place and yeah, it would be nice to see some of them have city of toronto shields in, alternating with the TFC crest etc. That sounds good. It could stay black railings, just wrought the crests in for a subtle, understated bit of class. Can't see anyone paying for that though! :D

Now here's a good extension of your idea - we should have a separate gate used exclusively by visiting teams (not the players' entrance our boys use). It would be called Scabgate and would be very, very low and have lots of sharp pointy bits on the design, especially in the bit you walk through. Welcome to BMO Field boys! :D:D:D

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
A pile of dogshit with a cherry on top is still a pile of dogshit at its core.

can you stop referring to the team we all support as 'dog shit' ?

some of us happen to like that team, and even if their play is sub-part at the moment, I think that comparison goes too far.

hell... if you don't like Toronto FC... no one is forcing you to attend.

BC101
12-08-2009, 01:10 PM
hahaha...

Hitcho
12-08-2009, 01:11 PM

:smilielol5:

Fiin
12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
can you stop referring to the team we all support as 'dig shit' ?

some of us happen to like that team, and even if their play is sub-part at the moment, I think that comparison goes too far.

hell... if you don't like Toronto FC... no one is forcing you to attend.

I dont think I once called them dig shit to be honest, and sub par at the moment? Has it ever been over par?

Some of us happen to like the team too, which is why instead of sitting quiet and doing nothing we feel the need to push the team to improve.

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Some of us happen to like the team too, which is why instead of sitting quiet and doing nothing we feel the need to push the team to improve.

yes, and we all know how well that went.

I'm sure there's an edited thread somewhere you can link to for reference.

Rudi
12-08-2009, 01:13 PM
I beg to differ.

The Hot Chick thread is the best thread of all time and I will smack the shit out of anyone who says otherwise! :boxing:
I like this one, for some odd reason. It's like Festivus has come early.

Before someone else posts the "Walkout" thread, I'll go on record as stating that in the immediate aftermath of the Vancouver debacle, I was steaming mad and definitely in favour of a walkout. I spoke to a few people about it, realized that I was just reacting to my anger rather than any soret of rational thought, and calmed down.

Before I did though, I posted my support for a walkout in the old private "Supporters United" forum on the NEE board that Nomad mentioned in his oh so clever attempt to zing me.

After I calmed down, and I posted my reconsidering of the matter in the same thread. Somehow those posts are gone, but hey, that's cool.

I am human, and as such I am subject to the normal range of emotions that humans go through. Sometimes I am irrational, and in my opinion my support of a walkout at that juncture was irrational (fuelled by my anger over the loss). I apologize for not seeing everything in black or white, or actually having the capability to change my thinking based on rational, analytical thought rather than base emotion.

And now you know...

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/thegurglingcod/images/2008/02/12/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Fiin
12-08-2009, 01:15 PM
yes, and we all know how well that went.

I'm sure there's an edited thread somewhere you can link to for reference.

Would have went wonderfully if it went like it supposed to, but I think you know what happened :wink5:

Anyways, back to yer gate discussion. I just thought I would throw a view out there and I guess it hit a nerve.

KdotOdot
12-08-2009, 01:15 PM
This thread is fucking awesome. Hopefully it will result in reall ife inter SP fights which will be youtubed for our viewing pleasure sometime durint the start of the 2010 season.

I'm just saying. I heard Parkdale called Rudi a cunt face.

canadian_bhoy
12-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Here's my idea for the gate

There would be a moon here, a large rocket
be all dark space punctuated by planets
i would have a close up of like a lady on a cliff and she would have a giant fucking laser gun and she would be just you know, protecting.

See 0:50 into this vid.

p2fSGIwwlnM

BC101
LOL too much over fictional gates God Bless you TFC Off season.

Parkdale
I like this one, for some odd reason. It's like Festivus has come early.

Before someone else posts the "Walkout" thread, I'll go on record as stating that in the immediate aftermath of the Vancouver debacle, I was steaming mad and definitely in favour of a walkout. I spoke to a few people about it, realized that I was just reacting to my anger rather than any soret of rational thought, and calmed down.

Before I did though, I posted my support for a walkout in the old private "Supporters United" forum on the NEE board that Nomad mentioned in his oh so clever attempt to zing me.

After I calmed down, and I posted my reconsidering of the matter in the same thread. Somehow those posts are gone, but hey, that's cool.

I am human, and as such I am subject to the normal range of emotions that humans go through. Sometimes I am irrational, and in my opinion my support of a walkout at that juncture was irrational (fuelled by my anger over the loss). I apologize for not seeing everything in black or white, or actually having the capability to change my thinking based on rational, analytical thought rather than base emotion.

And now you know...

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/thegurglingcod/images/2008/02/12/the_more_you_know2.jpg

that explains it well.

we all say things in the heat of the moment that we might regret later:

from some twitter account:

Hey TFC FO i have 39 tickets to Montreal that you can use to give to Vancouver FO so they can attend and get their trophy. 8:35 AM Jun 3rd (http://twitter.com/CXXVIINEE07/status/2017561788) from web

see? it happens to the best of us.

Parkdale
12-08-2009, 01:17 PM

haha... close....

actually Rudi and I get along pretty well.

Fiin
12-08-2009, 01:17 PM
LOL too much over fictional gates God Bless you TFC Off season.

It really brings out the best doesnt it.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Da gatez, da gatez, da gatez r on fire

BC101
12-08-2009, 01:20 PM
billy next time keep your ideas to yourself LOL Actually don't LOL this is NEXT LEVEL stuff RIGHT here LOL. I am thoroughly enjoying this LOL.

trane
12-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Who gives a shit?????? Or why do you fucking care?????? Do we not have more presing issues with our squad????? Is this what we are going to fight about this off season. Seriously????

Lets win something, then maybe we can start thinking about this shit.

Rudi
12-08-2009, 01:21 PM
This thread is fucking awesome. Hopefully it will result in reall ife inter SP fights which will be youtubed for our viewing pleasure sometime durint the start of the 2010 season.

LOL. I haven't seen you at the Duke lately man. Next time I do, your first beer is on me.

Roogsy
12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
And now you know...

Imagine that...a knee-jerk reaction from an emotional soccer fan. Unheard of. :crazy:

Where is the sarcasm emoticon?

billyfly
12-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Who gives a shit?????? Or why do you fucking care?????? Do we not have more presing issues with our squad????? Is this what we are going to fight about this off season. Seriously????

Lets win something, then maybe we can start thinking about this shit.

I ain't the coach, or a scout, or the GM. I am just a short Portuguezer that has access to welding equipment and a passion for old stuff, beer, sports and filipinas.

Its the only thing i can directly do.

BC101
12-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I ain't the coach, or the scouts, or the GM. I am just a short Portugueser that has access to welding equipment and a passion for old stuff, beer, sports and filipinas.
Viva ronaldooooooooooo

But seriously LOL!

Ladies Love Julius James
12-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I ain't the coach, or the scouts, or the GM. I am just a short Portugueser that has access to welding equipment and a passion for old stuff, beer, sports and filipinas.

She has a great behind.

There is no need to "add" a supporter gate. Gate 2 is unused so just slap a fancy heading on it and call it a supporters gate. Never seen anyone use it so there would be no need to build anything.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I can't get any work done cuz of this thread. Love it.

trane
^ This is not an attack on anyone. We just tend to get aggitated over the weirdest shit. You called the RCT over, so we came over.

Rudi
Imagine that...a knee-jerk reaction from an emotional soccer fan. Unheard of. :crazy:

Where is the sarcasm emoticon?
I know, eh?

Changing my mind about protesting a loss and letting people know well ahead of time was such a Judas thing of me to do. My Supporters Cup team name was so appropriate, I'm glad someone else thought of it for me.

billyfly
12-08-2009, 01:27 PM
BTW - Mods, I have no issues if you want this thread closed (for the betterment of the board)

billyfly
12-08-2009, 01:28 PM
^ This is not an attack on anyone. We just tend to get aggitated over the weirdest shit. You called the RCT over, so we came over.

Shhhhh...(you are suppose to keep that quiet)

BC101
12-08-2009, 01:28 PM
closing this thread won't do anything a new more exciting one will pop up in a few days time LOL.

werewolf
12-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Viva ronaldooooooooooo

But seriously LOL!

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=2053

Roogsy
Billy asked for it so I will do it for him.

Parkdale
ahahaha... when random, pointless and confusing threads appear... have no fear ... RCT is here!