PDA

View Full Version : The winger question: from within MLS

Yohan
12-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Same idea with CB thing, but looking solely at winger. I'm ok with Chad Barrett and Jimmy B and Gabe Gala at LW. Chad Barrett actually makes stuf happen, even if he can't score most of the time. Jimmy B knows when to go forward and he's got something to prove so will be hungry. Gabe Gala looked good from limited time he had so far.

So I'll look at mostly RW.

-Marco Pappa (CHI): probably most surprising player from Chicago this season. scored a lot of clutch goals. finding consistency will be key for him, but at 22, Chicago sees good future in him, securing his rights till 2012 season

-Robbie Rogers (CMB): fast. decent dribbler. crossing could be better. still young. may want to take a shot at Europe. would take a lot to get hold of him from CMB. only plays LW

-Fred (DCU): injury ridden season plus didn't have a good season. Pontius and Wallace are going to be first choice wingers in DC, leaving Fred for surplus. change of scenery might help him get back on track

-Davy Arnaud (KCW): KC's offensive success relied on Arnaud, and he didn't have much of a good year. attacking right winger. good passer. rocket of a shot. fringe USMNT player

-Dane Richards (NYRB): one of fastest guy in MLS. decent dribbler who can exploit gaps in defence. needs to work on consistency

-Will Johnson (RSL): versatile midfielder highly rated by Jason Kreis. if RSL was offered the right package though... good passer with decent pace. likes to attack. Canadian

-Bobby Convey (SJ): lots of MLS experience. former Reading player. stock has heavily fallen after a terrible year. still young and skilled enough to bounce back. only LW

jloome
12-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Same idea with CB thing, but looking solely at winger. I'm ok with Chad Barrett and Jimmy B and Gabe Gala at LW. Chad Barrett actually makes stuf happen, even if he can't score most of the time. Jimmy B knows when to go forward and he's got something to prove so will be hungry. Gabe Gala looked good from limited time he had so far.

So I'll look at mostly RW.

-Marco Pappa (CHI): probably most surprising player from Chicago this season. scored a lot of clutch goals. finding consistency will be key for him, but at 22, Chicago sees good future in him, securing his rights till 2012 season

-Robbie Rogers (CMB): fast. decent dribbler. crossing could be better. still young. may want to take a shot at Europe. would take a lot to get hold of him from CMB. only plays LW

-Fred (DCU): injury ridden season plus didn't have a good season. Pontius and Wallace are going to be first choice wingers in DC, leaving Fred for surplus. change of scenery might help him get back on track

-Davy Arnaud (KCW): KC's offensive success relied on Arnaud, and he didn't have much of a good year. attacking right winger. good passer. rocket of a shot. fringe USMNT player

-Dane Richards (NYRB): one of fastest guy in MLS. decent dribbler who can exploit gaps in defence. needs to work on consistency

-Will Johnson (RSL): versatile midfielder highly rated by Jason Kreis. if RSL was offered the right package though... good passer with decent pace. likes to attack. Canadian

-Bobby Convey (SJ): lots of MLS experience. former Reading player. stock has heavily fallen after a terrible year. still young and skilled enough to bounce back. only LW

Not sure I get the point. Of these, the only player potentially available that we might want is Bobby Convey, and he is coming off a year in which looked like he no longer cared. Fred might be available but is only marginally a starter, and not at all in our midfield. The rest are all unavailable.