PDA

View Full Version : The CB question: looking from within MLS

Yohan
12-05-2009, 12:21 AM
So the biggest question this off season player wise is will Mo be able to find a capable CB to fill that blackhole. 15 goal striker would be nice, but considering only 2 players (Casey and Cunty) scored more than 15, with majority of the leaders in pack with 12, I think TFC should concentrate more on CB than finding another ST.

This is just some players that I think are good enough, and Mo is able to trade for, given the right trade. Most players are crap, and some are untouchables (like Chad Marshall or Bobby Boswell) so I discounted them.

-Wilman Conde (CHI): always going to be a bit of headcase, and ambitious to try to jump ship to Europe if given the opportunity. But just talented enough to be a solid MLS defender. Consistency is something that eludes Conde (due to his desire to rather play in Europe), but is in his prime.

-Danny O'Rourke (CMB): a converted DM who can play CB. Versatility is his main strength. Benefits from having a commanding CB in Chad Marshall as his partner, therefore maximizing his defensive game. A bit prone to mistake sometimes, but overall does the job solid, given that he does not try to play beyond his position

-Ugo Ihemelu (DAL): speedy CB in prime of his career. Questions about his positioning at times. Potentially attractive due to Canadian immigrant status

-Dejan Jakovic (DCU): finished first year in MLS and had an okay year. nothing too flashy. may be due to DCU defence being inconsistent. Canadian

-Eddie Robinson (HOU): 31 yr old MLS veteran who would have been a first choice CB for Houston except for a nasty injury. big question mark whether he is fully recovered from it. but otherwise a solid MLS CB that a team can base their defence on

-Jimmy Conrad (KCW): soon to be 33 yr old. age is going to be factor, and is losing pace. once one of the premier defenders in MLS, KC's defence did not look sharp last season, may be an indication that Conrad is losing his defensive skills. for TFC, his MLS experience and organization skills as well leadership could be valuable and is just what TFC defence needs. then again, same was said about Nick Garcia

-Aaron Hohlbein (KCW): did his best playing for patchwork KCW defence. not flashy, but overall pretty steady. probably playing at best of his ability now

-Darrius Barnes (NER): probably the most surprising rookie to emerge out of 2009 draft. although NER's injury situation helped, a 3rd round pick Barnes took his chance and sealed his spot as first choice CB for Nichol. not an easy fit. his game is only going to grow. has a wicked long range throw

jloome
12-05-2009, 07:31 AM
You can write off COnde, Jakovic, Conrad and Barnes, as none of them will be traded, likely ever. Conde has serious transfer value, Jakovic has another year on his deal (and serious transfer value, the way he's played for DC so far), Conrad will retire with KC and Barnes is a hot prospect with a three-year deal.

THat leaves O'Rourke and Robinson, whose knees may or may not be crocked, but who made Philly nervous enough not to take him; Ihemelu is not an upgrade on what we already have and neither is Hohlbein.

Don't know about Robinson. He's allegedly recovered, but Houston still preferred to move Geoff Cameron (one of the league's biggest talents, thoroughly underrated) into central defense from midfield than to bring Robinson in as a starter. Maybe he just couldn't get match fitness back as a 31-year-old bench player.

O'Rourke is interesting as well, in that they have Andy Iro has a competent replacement, if the offer were sweet enough.

daner90
12-05-2009, 01:24 PM
If Seroiux can stay healthy this season, he should make up a pretty wicked tandem alongside Nana.

ensco
12-05-2009, 01:41 PM
If Seroiux can stay healthy this season, he should make up a pretty wicked tandem alongside Nana.

Agree with this. CB is not a black hole. We have more issues at FB

Issue is quality of depth at CB. Sure Nana and Adrian have the job, but you need at least 3 CBs given injuries etc.....Velez was pretty close to what we need, a decent third option, someone with a good attitude who is OK if he sits. If Marco had only been a bit more reliable, he could have been that guy for years.

I think Fellinga will get a shot at LB, his natural position, but we still don't know if he's got what it takes. Marvell, I've come to believe, is now a below average RB. He needs to show something at camp, or he will probably come off the bench as a depth player.

Yohan
12-05-2009, 01:47 PM
You can write off COnde, Jakovic, Conrad and Barnes, as none of them will be traded, likely ever. Conde has serious transfer value, Jakovic has another year on his deal (and serious transfer value, the way he's played for DC so far), Conrad will retire with KC and Barnes is a hot prospect with a three-year deal.

THat leaves O'Rourke and Robinson, whose knees may or may not be crocked, but who made Philly nervous enough not to take him; Ihemelu is not an upgrade on what we already have and neither is Hohlbein.

Don't know about Robinson. He's allegedly recovered, but Houston still preferred to move Geoff Cameron (one of the league's biggest talents, thoroughly underrated) into central defense from midfield than to bring Robinson in as a starter. Maybe he just couldn't get match fitness back as a 31-year-old bench player.

O'Rourke is interesting as well, in that they have Andy Iro has a competent replacement, if the offer were sweet enough.
given that nobody is really sacred in MLS, I think right offer could tempt teams. but yeah, a lot of unlikely choices here, because good CBs are so rare in MLS

Keyman
12-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Serioux is far to volatile as a player. Yes, I wish all players would emulate his determination on the pitch, I'm not glossing over that. But he is far to rash in his decision making, and offers very little stability and consistency at the back. To rely upon him would be a mistake, in my opinion.

Yohan
12-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Serioux is far to volatile as a player. Yes, I wish all players would emulate his determination on the pitch, I'm not glossing over that. But he is far to rash in his decision making, and offers very little stability and consistency at the back. To rely upon him would be a mistake, in my opinion.
he also needs a CB partner to tell him what to do. Serioux's positioning and game reading skill isn't the best

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Hainault would be a good option as well in my opinion.

jloome
12-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Serioux is not a starter. Temparament and poor decisions. And he's not mobile enough anymore to play elsewhere, unless we're playing a flat back.

Nana is the real deal, but we still need a starting cb

poppamidnight
12-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Agree with this. CB is not a black hole. We have more issues at FB

Issue is quality of depth at CB. Sure Nana and Adrian have the job, but you need at least 3 CBs given injuries etc.....Velez was pretty close to what we need, a decent third option, someone with a good attitude who is OK if he sits. If Marco had only been a bit more reliable, he could have been that guy for years.

I think Fellinga will get a shot at LB, his natural position, but we still don't know if he's got what it takes. Marvell, I've come to believe, is now a below average RB. He needs to show something at camp, or he will probably come off the bench as a depth player.
We have 3:
Gomez

Problem was, our (former) clueless coach had this amazingly :facepalm: idea that Gomez would be a better fit away from his natural CB position to one out wide...

Honestly, Gomez was > than Velez,
Give him a little more time to mature/grow and he'll be >>>>>> Velez was.

The ideal defensive back 4 would be:

Wynne___Serioux__Gomez___Nana

Alot of people in here are still wanting to see Jimmy B bumped up to MF (something we've been waiting for a while on)

IMO he gets burned alot more than Wynne just one-on-one,
Factor in Wynne's speed for recovery, and he's twice the defender Jimmy B could dream of being....

We heard rumblings of Serioux hanging 'em up, so we'll see how that turns out, but I'd be cool with giving Feligna a shot back there

MUFC_Niagara
12-05-2009, 07:47 PM
We have 3:
Gomez

Problem was, our (former) clueless coach had this amazingly :facepalm: idea that Gomez would be a better fit away from his natural CB position to one out wide...

Honestly, Gomez was > than Velez,
Give him a little more time to mature/grow and he'll be >>>>>> Velez was.

The ideal defensive back 4 would be:

Wynne___Serioux__Gomez___Nana

Alot of people in here are still wanting to see Jimmy B bumped up to MF (something we've been waiting for a while on)

IMO he gets burned alot more than Wynne just one-on-one,
Factor in Wynne's speed for recovery, and he's twice the defender Jimmy B could dream of being....

We heard rumblings of Serioux hanging 'em up, so we'll see how that turns out, but I'd be cool with giving Feligna a shot back there
He wants to resign but Mo keeps dragging his feet.

maninb
12-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Serioux should be our backup CB/FB...he's far too mistake prone and getting slower by the day...IMO it should be Wynne...Nana...New Guy...Felinga

Carts
12-07-2009, 09:21 AM

In pro-sports anyone, absolutely anyone and everyone can be moved for the right price...

Either its assets for assets, or cash for owners - time and time again "untouchable" players are traded or sold, it shouldn't shock anyone anymore...

Is is unlikely, sure.

It started with the Wayne Gretzky trade, and was seen again with Ronaldo... Every owner and every GM has a price...

Carts...

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Well, I think there might be a small number of players who actually literally can't be sold for any price... for instance, I don't think Roma could pay Francesco Totti to leave.

Big Bruva
12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Serioux should be our backup CB/FB...he's far too mistake prone and getting slower by the day...IMO it should be Wynne...Nana...New Guy...Felinga

That new guy would have to be VERY vocal and a real leader coz Marv, Nana and Felinga are all mute on the pitch and not vocal leaders whatsoever.

Big Bruva
12-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Well, I think there might be a small number of players who actually literally can't be sold for any price... for instance, I don't think Roma could pay Francesco Totti to leave.

Liverpool don't have the funds to pay Rafa the 25 mill to leave either lol

Bloody ell.

jloome
12-09-2009, 01:05 PM
In pro-sports anyone, absolutely anyone and everyone can be moved for the right price...

Either its assets for assets, or cash for owners - time and time again "untouchable" players are traded or sold, it shouldn't shock anyone anymore...

Is is unlikely, sure.

It started with the Wayne Gretzky trade, and was seen again with Ronaldo... Every owner and every GM has a price...

Carts...

This is MLS. No transfer fees.The land of star player inertia. Okay, it's technically possible. Plausible? No.

Pachuco
12-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm putting it out there. Felinga is not a starter. When I started a thread on Garcia sucks I got slammed. I bet you the opinion is different now :)

So, I'll say it right now, no way Felinga is a starter in the MLS.

jloome
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm putting it out there. Felinga is not a starter. When I started a thread on Garcia sucks I got slammed. I bet you the opinion is different now :)

So, I'll say it right now, no way Felinga is a starter in the MLS.

Too snap. We haven't seen enough, although on what I've seen so far, I'd agree with you.

Small, a bit tentative. Didn't move off the wing at all and didn't play much, so tough to say, but didn't see any real intensity.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I think its too soon to make that judgement, ill wait a couple of games before i make any decisions re Fellinga

Yohan
12-14-2009, 12:50 AM
not from MLS, but how about Christian Arrieta from Puerto Rico? He's more of a RB but looks solid from what I've seen from him

Pachuco
12-14-2009, 08:59 AM
not from MLS, but how about Christian Arrieta from Puerto Rico? He's more of a RB but looks solid from what I've seen from him

Yes agreed, was impressed with him the two games I saw him play.

jloome
12-14-2009, 10:30 AM

Yeah, good player. There's some history on him. Can't remember what it is; but he's their best player.

jloome
12-14-2009, 10:32 AM
That's it: he was the backup right back at Lecce in Serie B for a couple of seasons, after doing the serie c1/a route, ala Sandro Grande. Didn't see much time but he's well above USL level.

Plus, he's 6'2. Might make a good centre back as well, ala Sean Franklin.