PDA

View Full Version : Contacts for Argos Letters

andyc
11-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I received an email today from the GTHL (my kids play hockey as well as football) and they are actively fighting a potential change in ice time allocations by the city. Anyways the reason I'm posting is the method they are using to get parents to reach out to the city to register protest.

Below is a copy of the suggested approach. This could be easily reworded and distributed widely...

In light of the very short time frame and to make it as easy as possible for you to email your City Councillor, you need only take 6 quick steps:

1. Open your email browser and initiate a new email.
2. Paste the list of email addresses of council members and the Mayor (let them all know how you feel) into the CC section of your forwarded email

3. Put your councillor's email address in the TO line of the email, or if you do not know their name or email, click on this link to access your Councillor's name and email and put this in the "TO ; line

4. Insert your message to City Council and ADD your name and address (A Draft to use as the basic text for your email subject to your own edits is below)

5. HIT SEND

Not a bad approach... Included in the email was a list of all the councilors emails addresses and suggested wording of the email. I couldn't post the list of email addresses as I hit a number of character limit in the post. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post it.

andyc
11-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Here are the email addresses in one bunch to make cut and paste real easy...

mayor_miller@toronto.ca (mayor_miller@toronto.ca); councillor_walker@toronto.ca (councillor_walker@toronto.ca); councillor_stintz@toronto.ca (councillor_stintz@toronto.ca); councillor_davis@toronto.ca (councillor_davis@toronto.ca); councillor_parker@toronto.ca (councillor_parker@toronto.ca); councillor_ainslie@toronto.ca (councillor_ainslie@toronto.ca); councillor_ashton@toronto.ca (councillor_ashton@toronto.ca); councillor_augimeri@toronto.ca (councillor_augimeri@toronto.ca); councillor_bussin@toronto.ca (councillor_bussin@toronto.ca); councillor_carroll@toronto.ca (councillor_carroll@toronto.ca); councillor_cho@toronto.ca (councillor_cho@toronto.ca); councillor_debaeremaeker@toronto.ca (councillor_debaeremaeker@toronto.ca); councillor_delgrande@toronto.ca (councillor_delgrande@toronto.ca); councillor_digiorgio@toronto.ca (councillor_digiorgio@toronto.ca); councillor_feldman@toronto.ca (councillor_feldman@toronto.ca); councillor_filion@toronto.ca (councillor_filion@toronto.ca); councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca (councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca); councillor_ford@toronto.ca (councillor_ford@toronto.ca); councillor_giambrone@toronto.ca (councillor_giambrone@toronto.ca); councillor_grimes@toronto.ca (councillor_grimes@toronto.ca); councillor_hall@toronto.ca (councillor_hall@toronto.ca); councillor_heaps@toronto.ca (councillor_heaps@toronto.ca); councillor_holyday@toronto.ca (councillor_holyday@toronto.ca); councillor_jenkins@toronto.ca (councillor_jenkins@toronto.ca); councillor_kelly@toronto.ca (councillor_kelly@toronto.ca); councillor_lee@toronto.ca (councillor_lee@toronto.ca); councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca (councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca); councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca (councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca); councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca (councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca); councillor_mihevc@toronto.ca (councillor_mihevc@toronto.ca); councillor_milczyn@toronto.ca (councillor_milczyn@toronto.ca); councillor_minnan-wong@toronto.ca (councillor_minnan-wong@toronto.ca); councillor_moeser@toronto.ca (councillor_moeser@toronto.ca); councillor_moscoe@toronto.ca (councillor_moscoe@toronto.ca); councillor_nunziata@toronto.ca (councillor_nunziata@toronto.ca); councillor_ootes@toronto.ca (councillor_ootes@toronto.ca); councillor_palacio@toronto.ca (councillor_palacio@toronto.ca); councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca (councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca); councillor_perks@toronto.ca (councillor_perks@toronto.ca); councillor_perruzza@toronto.ca (councillor_perruzza@toronto.ca); councillor_rae@toronto.ca (councillor_rae@toronto.ca); councillor_saundercook@toronto.ca (councillor_saundercook@toronto.ca); councillor_shiner@toronto.ca (councillor_shiner@toronto.ca); councillor_thompson@toronto.ca (councillor_thompson@toronto.ca); councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca (councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca)

http://www.explace.on.ca/about_us/bog_structure.php
ex board of governors

andyc
11-27-2009, 08:59 PM
I just sent the following email to my councilor, copying all of the other councilors. We'll see what reply I receive....

Councilor Shiner

I live in your Ward and am reaching out to you to express my concern at today's press reports indicating that the Argos have presented a letter of intent to the City of Toronto outlining their proposal to move to BMO Field at Exhibition place.

As I'm sure you are aware this stadium is currently home of Toronto FC Major League Soccer franchise and the installation of a grass playing surface was recently approved by the City Council at the cost of approximately $5 million.

As you consider this proposal, please bear the following items in mind:

- BMO field is approximately 45 yards too short and 20 yards to narrow to accommodate Canadian Football. Any expansion of the stadium would be prohibitively expensive and would significantly deteriorate the game experience. Consider for example if the Air Canada Centre was modified so that a Maple Leafs game had an empty dead-zone of at least 10 yards separating the fans from the edge of the ice. As I'm sure you can imagine, this would drastically affect the atmosphere, experience of the fans as well as TV coverage significantly for the worse.

- The internal facilities for players at BMO Field are also clearly not sufficient for a professional CFL team in addition the the existing TFC athletes. The cost for the addition of locker rooms for the extended Argos and visiting team rosters as well as the specialized fitness facilities would far exceed the current figures being reported by the Argos owners.

- Given the recently approved investment in order to install real grass at BMO Field, I am seriously concerned that the introduction of an overlapping season of CFL games will inevitably result in the field quickly becoming damaged and unplayable. Under this over use, the cost of maintaining the field, given Toronto's extreme weather conditions, will sky rocket and I seriously doubt that MLSE will agree to underwrite these expenses.

- In addition the radically conflicting styles and markings required for each sport will ultimately affect the credibility and integrity of both sports. This multi purpose type of stadium is being rejected by many sports teams across North America in order to enhance the fans experience and deliver a more authentic experience. TFC's success to date has been built on a foundation traditional soccer values. The introduction of the markings required for CFL would drive away the core fans and seriously impact the organizations business model. As a season ticket holder for myself and family since the first year, I would immediately give up my tickets if a CFL came to BMO. I know for certain that a great deal of other season ticket holders feel the same way.

- While BMO field was built utilizing a significant portion of public funding, a large part of the rationale was to introduce a Canadian National Soccer Specific Stadium. There are very few professional level facilities available to Canadian soccer athletes and having a soccer specific stadium with a grass field is critical for the development of the mens and womens national team. Providing a home stadium in Canada's largest city will allow the CSA to schedule high profile games drawing both attention and material $'s to Toronto.

- Please also bear in mind that the Rogers Centre, the current home of the Argos, was also funded by public money. In addition, the Argos currently play at their existing stadium rent free so they are certainly far from being in desperate need for facilities. In fact a recent survey by the Argos of their season ticket holders resulted in an overwhelming preference not to move to BMO Field.

- The existing Argos management team had several opportunities to be part of the proposed stadium development that eventually became BMO Field. They were heavily involved in the various plans to build at the University of Toronto and then York University. In fact, their last minute decision to withdraw seriously jeopardized the ability for Toronto to host the FIFA U17 World Cup which would have left the city in a publicly humiliating position. Please bear in mind that this late withdrawal from the plans for York University was prompted by the offer from the Rogers Centre to allow the Argos to play rent free. I think that it is strange that the Argos management now feel that they can move into BMO Field without being held responsible for the implications of their earlier actions.

This topic is an area that fans of both the Argos and Toronto FC feel strongly about. While I am a TFC supporter I also have the utmost respect for the Argos history, tradition and fan base. Given the upcoming election in the city, I am concerned that this could become a political issue that will polarize the voters. I am asking you to not allow this to happen.

Please help ensure that the council focus on the core business issues at hand.

I look forward to understanding your position on this matter,

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Dear Councillor Hall,

As a constituent of yours in Ward 1, I am writing to you to express my concern over the possibility of the Toronto Argonauts moving into BMO Field, Canada's National Soccer Stadium and home of Toronto FC.

It was widely reported today that the Argos have again stated their interest in moving to BMO Field. This is concerning to me, as a Torontonian and an avid fan of Canadian soccer, for a number of reasons.

As you may be aware, the process of replacing the FieldTurf pitch at BMO Field with a real grass playing surface was begun today, at a cost of $5 million. The installation of real grass at BMO Field represents a giant step forward for the game of soccer in our city; until now, Canada's national team players had expressed their preference to play at Montreal's Stade Saputo because of its real grass surface, and indeed the FieldTurf surface at BMO has also been roundly criticized by Toronto FC players and staff, as well as visiting players.

However, if the Argonauts were to share BMO Field, the $5 million being spent on grass would be money wasted. The additional wear the field would incur from having the Argonuats play and practice on it would cause it to rapidly deteriorate and become virtually unplayable. Even the FieldTurf surface, likened to concrete after three years of constant use, would be better than a trampled, destroyed grass surface. The cost of maintaining the pitch would inevitably skyrocket with such overuse, and it seems to me that MLSE would likely be reluctant to cover the costs incurred by the Argonauts.

In addition, BMO Field would have to be completely renovated to accommodate the Argonauts. Among other things, additional dressing rooms and training facilities would have to be built, and each of the four stands would have to be moved to accommodate the larger size of a CFL field, which is 45 yards longer and 20 yards wider than the stadium's current field. The necessary work to accommodate the Argos would come at a huge cost to the city; work undertaken to accommodate a team that currently enjoys free rent at the Rogers Centre, a facility also built with funding from the City of Toronto.

The existing Argos ownership also had several opportunities to be part of the proposed stadium development that eventually became BMO Field. They were heavily involved in the various plans to build a joint Argonauts and Canadian national soccer stadium at the University of Toronto and then York University. In fact, their last-minute decision to withdraw from the York stadium plans seriously jeopardized the ability of Toronto to host the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup (FIFA's granting of the tournament to Toronto was on the condition that a soccer-specific stadium be built in time for the tournament), which would have left the city in a publicly humiliating position. Please bear in mind that this late withdrawal from the plans for York University was prompted by the offer from the Rogers Centre to allow the Argos to play rent-free, as documented here:

http://www.tsn.ca/story/print/?id=123591

While I respect the tradition of the Argonauts and in fact am a fan of the team, it is my belief that their playing at BMO Field would not be in the best interests of our city, and especially not in the best interests of Canadian soccer, to which BMO Field has been a godsend. Toronto FC's popularity has furthered the growth of the game in Toronto and across Canada in an un-precedented manner, and last year a FIFA World Cup qualifier between Canada and Jamaica at BMO Field sold out and the support was largely pro-Canadian; something that never would have been possible, and indeed never happened, when our national teams played at Varsity Stadium.

In its present capacity as a soccer-specific stadium BMO Field has been an overwhelming success. While I have the utmost respect for the Toronto Argonauts, their moving to BMO Field would prevent it from being a proper home for Toronto FC and for our Canadian national soccer teams, as illustrated.

I would ask, as a constituent of yours, that should this matter come before city council, you please share my concerns with your peers.

Sincerely,

Part of it stolen from andyc's letter, but yeah. Harass your councillors, RPBs.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-28-2009, 01:22 AM
CFL Exec emails:

mcohon@cfl.ca mcopeland@cfl.ca mmaychak@cfl.ca rassimakopoulos@cfl.ca jnishino@cfl.ca dallison@cfl.ca kmcdonald@cfl.ca asciarra@cfl.ca

Argo Exec emails:

dcynamon@KIKCORP.COM hsokolowski@tributecommunities.com bnicholson@argonauts.ca mclemons@argonauts.ca mafinec@argonauts.ca jnalevka@argonauts.ca dsteinfeld@argonauts.ca

I sent them an email indicating if they allow the Argos to move to BMO, I'll never watch or attend a CFL game, or buy any made by a CFL sponsor. Suggest all those concerned do the same. Some of these might bounce, but it's still worth the effort.

Pookie
11-28-2009, 02:00 PM
This is what I emailed:

Councillor Grimes

It is my understanding that you recently voted in favour of the proposal to install a natural grass surface at BMO Field. This proposal was supported by a number of economic arguments that undoubtably have placed the City in a favourable economic position with respect to future opportunities resulting from soccer events.

I understand from sources such as the CBC that in 2007, when Toronto co-hosted the FIFA U20 Tournament, it generated $259.02 million in economic activity throughout the four host provinces. As well, 1,700 jobs were created for the tournament.

I've also read that the Real Madrid exhibition game vs Toronto FC, held this year, generated over $10M in local investment.

I would imagine that the revenue and prestige generated from events such as these were what was envisioned when you voted in favour of the motion to convert BMO Field to natural grass.

Councillor Grimes, I am having trouble understanding why you would push for the Argos to move to BMO Field.

I get that the atmosphere in Montreal vs the Rogers Centre may be different. But I also know that the Argos draw roughly 28,000 fans per game. BMO Field as you know, has a capacity for just 20,000.

While stadium expansion could increase that number, how do you propose both sports co-exist on the new surface without jeopardizing the proposed soccer events that earned your vote just a few weeks ago?

The economic benefit to moving the Argos down the road would appear to be neglible. In fact, without expansion, they may generate less in terms of parking and tax revenue for the city as 8,000 fewer attendees would be on hand.

Further, the idea that fans would pump money into the local economy is simply misleading. They are already spending their money on businesses around the Rogers Centre. This is a revenue neutral proposition.

If the Argos do in fact move to BMO, you introduce a very real risk to the opportunities afforded by the soccer investment. Scheduling conflicts, field repairs and altered atmosphere could conceivably result in cancelled or missed opportunities.

Perhaps as Chair of the Argos Foundation, you are using BMO as a negotiating point in order to secure a better deal with Rogers or generate talk of a (CFL) Football Specific Stadium at some other location.

If you are seriously considering BMO as a realistic move, I'd welcome your thoughts on the above issues I've highlighted.

Regards,

Paul

Sullivan
11-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm not reading 15 pages, so if this has already been posted, sorry!
This one is short and sweet.

If you live in Toronto, email your councillor with a short simple message:
Support the Argos at BMO and I vote against you next election and
I actively ask, engage, recruit in soliciting others to also not vote for you!

councillor_ainslie@toronto.ca
councillor_ashton@toronto.ca
councillor_augimeri@toronto.ca
councillor_bussin@toronto.ca
councillor_carrol@toronto.ca
councillor_cho@toronto.ca
councillor_davis@toronto.ca
councillor_debaeremaeker@toronto.ca
councillor_delgrande@toronto.ca
councillor_digiorgio@toronto.ca
councillor_feldman@toronto.ca
councillor_felion@toronto.ca
councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca
councillor_ford@toronto.ca
councillor_giambrone@toronto.ca
councillor_grimes@toronto.ca
councillor_hall@toronto.ca
councillor_heaps@toronto.ca
councillor_holyday@toronto.ca
councillor_jenkins@toronto.ca
councillor_kelly@toronto.ca
councillor_lee@toronto.ca
councillor_lindsay@toronto.ca
councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca
councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca
councillor_mihevc@toronto.ca
councillor_milczyn@toronto.ca
councillor_minnan-wong@toronto.ca
councillor_moeser@toronto.ca
councillor_moscoe@toronto.ca
councillor_nunziata@toronto.ca
councillor_ootes@toronto.ca
councillor_palacio@toronto.ca
councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca
councillor_parker@toronto.ca
councillor_perks@toronto.ca
councillor_perruzza@toronto.ca
councillor_rae@toronto.ca
councillor_saundercock@toronto.ca
councillor_shiner@toronto.ca
councillor_stintz@toronto.ca
councillor_thompson@toronto.ca
councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca
councillor_walker@toronto.ca

http://www.toronto.ca/city_directory/pdf/divisions/council_offices.pdf

Now in my case, I don't live in Toronto. But that won't stop me from
emailing each of the aforementioned councillors and advising them that if
they support the Argos move into BMO, they shouldn't expect my support/vote in the next or any election thereafter.
Same to be said for any support from my family and/or friends.

Finally,
Establish TFC's supporters ability to mobilize and take action.
Target Mark Grimes. Councillor Ward 6, Lakeshore Etobicoke.
He also happens to be the Chair the the Argos Foundation.
Make an example of him in 2010's election. Vote him out!

It doesn't take much effort or creativity to establish residency and to be able to vote in a municipal election.

Send a clear message - NO CFL @ BMO!!!

It then becomes a matter of which councillor wants to risk a well paying
job to support a pair of millionaires who have run their club into the
ground because they won't spend their own money.

VPjr
11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
For those of you who do live in Toronto, here is an example of the type of message that needs to be emailed to Mayor Miller, Deputy Mayor Pantalone and the local councillor:

Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms XXXXXX,

It has been widely reported that the Toronto Argonauts Football Club has approached the City of Toronto and the Exhibition Place Board of Governors in regards to their desire to relocate their team from Rogers Centre to BMO Field.

As a taxpayer in the City of Toronto and an ardent soccer supporter, I find this news distressing. BMO Field was originally conceived as a Soccer Specific Stadium and is commonly referred to as Canada's National Soccer Stadium. It should remain as such.

Soccer is Canada's, Ontario's and Toronto's largest participation sport by a wide margin and yet it is highly underserviced by the City of Toronto. There are not nearly enough soccer facilities as it is to support the enormous demand to play the sport. To take away more dates from the large and growing Toronto soccer community by allowing the Argonauts to play home games at BMO Field would be a poor decision and would be perceived by soccer lovers as a slap in the face.

Considering that Municipal Elections will take place next fall, it would be a very unwise decision to permit the Argonauts to relocate to BMO Field. Such a decision would be a very short sighted move by the City of Toronto. The potential backlash from soccer supporters would be overwhelming. Is it all really worth it? Furthermore, allowing the Argos to fill dates at our National Soccer Stadium would effectively tie the hands of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and the Canadian Soccer Association from hosting additional soccer related events (in addition to Toronto FC home matches), so the net benefit to the City of Toronto would be negligible.

I urge you to make the right decision. Say NO to the Argonauts at BMO Field. They have a wonderful home at the Rogers Centre and they should stay there and allow the BMO Field (with its $3 million natural grass surface) to remain a Soccer Specific Stadium in perpetuity. If the Argonauts do move into BMO Field, I personally will hold you responsible and you can be sure that I will vote against you in the next round of municipal elections.

Best Regards

XXXXXXX

This is just a suggestion. Go ahead and write whatever you wish. However, please be sure to write something if you are a city of Toronto resident.

Be sure to send the email to your councillor, copying the Mayor and Deputy Mayor and all the other councillors. Feel free to copy all the people from the Argos as well whose emails are noted in a previous post.

Toronto residents...don't sit on the fence. Send it right away.

here are the email addresses so you don't have to look for it:

David Miller - mayor_miller@toronto.ca (mayor_miller@toronto.ca)

Ward 1 (Etobicoke North) Suzan Hall - councillor_hall@toronto.ca (councillor_hall@toronto.ca)
Ward 2 (Etobicoke North) Rob Ford - councillor_ford@toronto.ca (councillor_ford@toronto.ca)
Ward 3 (Etobicoke Centre) Doug Holyday councillor_holyday@toronto.ca (councillor_holyday@toronto.ca)
Ward 4 (Etobicok Centre) Gloria Lindsay Luby - councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca (councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca)
Ward 5 (Etobicoke-Lakeshore) Peter Milczyn - councillor_milczyn@toronto.ca (councillor_milczyn@toronto.ca)
Ward 6 (Etobicoke-Lakeshore) Mark Grimes - councillor_grimes@toronto.ca (councillor_grimes@toronto.ca)
Ward 7 (York West) Giorgio Mammoliti - councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca (councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca)
Ward 8 (York West) Anthony Perruzza - councillor_perruzza@toronto.ca (councillor_perruzza@toronto.ca)
Ward 9 (York Centre) Maria Augimeri - councillor_augimeri@toronto.ca (councillor_augimeri@toronto.ca)
Ward 10 (York Centre) Mike Feldman - councillor_feldman@toronto.ca (councillor_feldman@toronto.ca)
Ward 11 (York South-Weston) Frances Nunziata - councillor_nunziata@toronto.ca (councillor_nunziata@toronto.ca)
Ward 12 (York South-Weston) Frank Di Giorgio - councillor_digiorgio@toronto.ca (councillor_digiorgio@toronto.ca)
Ward 13 (Parkdale - High Park) - Bill Saundercook - councillor_saundercook@toronto.ca (councillor_saundercook@toronto.ca)
Ward 14 (Parkdale - High Park) Gord Perks - councillor_perks@toronto.ca (councillor_perks@toronto.ca)
Ward 15 (Eglinton-Lawrence) Howard Moscoe - councillor_moscoe@toronto.ca (councillor_moscoe@toronto.ca)
Ward 16 (Eglinton-Lawrence) Karen Stintz - councillor_stintz@toronto.ca (councillor_stintz@toronto.ca)
Ward 17 (Davenport) Cesar Palacio - councillor_palacio@toronto.ca (councillor_palacio@toronto.ca)
Ward 18 (Davenport) Adam Giambrone - councillor_giambrone@toronto.ca (councillor_giambrone@toronto.ca)
Ward 19 (Trinity Spadina) Joe Pantalone - councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca (councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca) (DEPUTY MAYOR)
Ward 20 (Trinity Spadina) Adam Vaughn - councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca (councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca)
Ward 21 (St. Paul's) Joe Mihevc - councillor_mivehc@toronto.ca (councillor_mivehc@toronto.ca)
Ward 22 (St. Paul's) Michael Walker - councillor_walker@toronto.ca (councillor_walker@toronto.ca)
Ward 23 (Willowdale) John Filion - councillor_filion@toronto.ca (councillor_filion@toronto.ca)
Ward 24 (Willowdale) - David Shiner - councillor_shiner@toronto.ca (councillor_shiner@toronto.ca)
Ward 25 (Don Valley West) Cliff Jenkins - councillor_jenkins@toronto.ca (councillor_jenkins@toronto.ca)
Ward 26 (Don Valley West) John Parker - councillor_parker@toronto.ca (councillor_parker@toronto.ca)
Ward 27 (Toronto Centre Rosedale) Kyle Rae - councillor_rae@toronto.ca (councillor_rae@toronto.ca)
Ward 28 (Toronto Centre Rosedale) Pam McConnell - councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca (councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca)
Ward 29 (Toronto-Danforth) Case Ootes - councillor_ootes@toronto.ca (councillor_ootes@toronto.ca)
Ward 30 (Toronto Danforth) Paula Fletcher - councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca (councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca)
Ward 31 (Beaches - East York) Janet Davis - councillor_davis@toronto.ca (councillor_davis@toronto.ca)
Ward 32 (Beaches - East York) Sandra Bussin - councillor_bussin@toronto.ca (councillor_bussin@toronto.ca)
Ward 33 (Don Valley East) Shelley Carroll - councillor_carroll@toronto.ca (councillor_carroll@toronto.ca)
Ward 34 (Don Valley East) Denzil Minnan-Wong - councillor_minnan-wong@toronto.ca (councillor_minnan-wong@toronto.ca)
Ward 35 (Scarborough Southwest) Adrian Heaps - councillor_heaps@toronto.ca (councillor_heaps@toronto.ca)
Ward 36 (Scarborough Southwest) Brian Ashton - councillor_ashton@toronto.ca (councillor_ashton@toronto.ca)
Ward 37 (Scarborough Centre) Michael Thompson - councillor_thompson@toronto.ca (councillor_thompson@toronto.ca)
Ward 38 (Scarborough Centre) Glenn De Baeremaeker - councillor_debaeremaeker@toronto.ca (councillor_debaeremaeker@toronto.ca)
Ward 39 (Scarborough Agincourt) Mike Del Grande - councillor_delgrande@toronto.ca (councillor_delgrande@toronto.ca)
Ward 40 (Scarborough Agincourt) Norm Kelly - councillor_kelly@toronto.ca (councillor_kelly@toronto.ca)
Ward 41 (Scarborough Rouge River) Chin Lee - councillor_lee@toronto.ca (councillor_lee@toronto.ca)
Ward 42 (Scarborough - Rouge River) Raymond Cho - councillor_cho@toronto.ca (councillor_cho@toronto.ca)
Ward 43 (Scarborough East) Paul Ainslie - councillor_ainslie@toronto.ca (councillor_ainslie@toronto.ca)
Ward 44 (Scarborough East) Ron Moeser - councillor_moeser@toronto.ca (councillor_moeser@toronto.ca)

If you don't know what ward you are in, use this link to figure it out:

http://app.toronto.ca/wards/jsp/wards.jsp (http://app.toronto.ca/wards/jsp/wards.jsp)

EDIT: just noticed that Sullivan posted all those email addresses as well...good work man. regardless people, send out those emails...do it right away

TFCRegina
11-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Sent to Cohen, CC'd the executive.

Commissioner:

I write this email with grave concern over the situation which is developing in Toronto. The Toronto Argonauts have suggested a move to BMO Field or the National Soccer Stadium, as you're well aware, and this move will signal the end of Canadian style football and the Argonauts if it is permitted.

This is why:

BMO Field is unsuited to fit the Canadian Football field. This means that dimensions must be shrunk to a more National Football League style field. After you permit the Argos (assuming you do) to move to BMO Field, what do you think will happen when the Riders eventually build their new stadium? Or what about the Lions after the BC Place renovations? What if they decide they want to have an Argo style field?

Will you have any legal authority to deny them? They could take the league to court and argue that the smaller field is allowed for the Argos, so that refusing permission to these teams discriminates against them.

Why would they do it? Well, there's been this constant push from a growing number of people in this country to move to NFL style rules. Who says there aren't owners who agree? The Argos owners certainly seem to...

Essentially, we could have the death of Canadian football on our hands because a pair of incompetent owners are incapable of fielding a winning product at the Rogers Centre, so they whine, forego 8,000 seats worth of ticket revenue, and move to a smaller venue that has a terrible revenue sharing agreement (as the legal agreement for the stadium explicitly states that the Argos cannot have a better revenue sharing agreement than Toronto FC) and is incapable of fielding a Canadian style field. Keep in mind that TFC plays in a league with a lower salary cap than the CFL and therefore can suppress costs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am an ardent Saskatchewan Roughrider fan and Toronto FC supporter. I watch three leagues with great interest in the sporting world, 1. the Canadian Football League, 2. Major League Soccer and 3. Barclay's Premier League. I hate the National Football League, it's boring rules and the corporate glitz and glamour which taints the true nature of the
game.

If you permit this move to NFL style fields, I will stop watching this league. I do not care if the Riders are still in it. The rules of the game are the rules. The Field is the size it is because we are Canadian and we play our game. The last thing we need to do is be playing in soccer specific stadiums. If owners can't keep their team solvent, they shouldn't own. It's quite simple. The last mistake we made like this was during a little venture called CFL USA, and we all know how that went. Remember that Vegas never played in a CFL sized stadium or on a CFL sized field. Remember that remarkable success?

Alternatively, they could get city funding for a new stadium. This move by the Argo owners could be considered such a thing. But if it is, it is so flagrantly obvious that it is a poor strategic move. In a city where the Beautiful game is more popular than Canadian Football, the last thing the Argos need to do is piss off soccer fans. Maybe if the Argos need a stadium, they should partner with Rugby Canada or something, so at least they're in a venue that can be the proper size and suited for the viewing of the game

-------------------------------------------------------------------

One other thing, regarding the Canadian Content rule:

This should not be changed. If anything, Canadian content should be upped. While managers and owners may complain that they can't find quality Canadians, it's because there's no incentive to invest in development in this country. With so few opportunities as a Canadian player to play football, few want to invest a lot of time and effort into doing so. Increasing Canadian content will increase the incentive to invest your time and effort, and will ultimately yield higher quality players.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Letter to Joey Pantal*ne:

Dear Deputy Mayor Pantalone,

It has come to the attention of myself, and others, that you are a proponent of the potential move of the Toronto Argonauts to BMO Field.

As you doubtless are aware, MLSE has just begun the process of replacing the FieldTurf pitch at BMO with real grass.

The idea that the grass would be in any condition to have either sport played upon it once the Argos have used it is completely naive. Football destroys grass; this fact is well, well documented.

The abuse the grass would be subjected to would render it completely unplayable to Toronto FC and the Canadian national teams, the PRIMARY tenants of BMO Field.

After a recent NFL game staged at England's Wembley Stadium, the turf was absolutely decimated, as documented by the Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/england/2324487/Wembley-defend-pitch-damage-after-NFL-game.html

Just to highlight a few points:

A Wembley Stadium spokesperson stressed that the work was under control. "The NFL game had a significant impact on the pitch, as we expected. We now have three weeks before our next major event. Our grounds team will be working around the clock to ensure that the pitch is in the best condition possible for England’s game against Croatia."
But, the spokesperson added: "The NFL have assured us that the way that our pitch reacted to the game is entirely normal for American football."

And:

Head groundsman Steve Welch and his team now face up to four days of work to repair the shearing of the pitch by the gridiron player's boots, with the option of a full re-turf costing over £100,000.

Is this really what's good for the city? The pitch will be in NO condition to be played on, maintenance will run the city an absolute fortune, and all just to help a team that currently enjoys free rent at another facility, the Rogers Centre, which was also built using public funds.

There is no upside to this.

Not to mention, there is also the problem of the field being far smaller than the CFL regulation. BMO Field is currently 95 yards long; a CFL field is 110 yards long, and the endzones are 20 yards long. Doubtless the city would be asked to finance renovations to expand the field, and in the process completely ruin the gameday experience for soccer fans, who would find themselves attempting to cheer on their team with 30 yards separating them from the pitch. If the field was left at its current dimensions, all CFL fans would be incensed, and rightly so.

I suggest, sir, that you take a much closer look at the logistics of what you seem keen to see happen, and question whether it is really good for the City of Toronto, the Toronto Argonauts, BMO Field and soccer in Toronto. If you do so, I can't imagine that you will not come to the same conclusions I have.

With all due respect,

Bet I'll just get a form letter stating his dumbass politician point of view that 'this is good for TFC too', but it doesn't hurt to try.

MisterMacphisto
12-04-2009, 07:39 PM
...Phil and Boris are working hard to determine the best course of action with the information we are getting.

In the mean time, the actions being taken with letter writing and getting the word out are the correct actions and should be continued.

Feel free to do what you will with this thread, but thought I'd separate this from the monster thread as it gets lost in the shuffle. Easier to have writing campaign info organized onto one thread. I think the time to contact people is sooner than later, and supporters will have time over this weekend to start.

I'm contacting all of the Argos Sponsors to let them know I am boycotting their products if the Argos move into BMO and that I will encourage anyone who will listen to do the same. Whatever you do, be polite and factual.

Click here for list Argos Sponsors (http://argonauts.ca/page/coporate-partners-test)

President's Choice Financial Contact page - Click here (http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/a/helpful/helpfulInfo.page).

Bet365.net Contact page - Click here (http://help.bet365.com/home/mainpage.asp?popmembers=5020&isb=0&lng=1)

Nissan Canada Contact page - Click here (http://www.nissan.ca/common/footer/en/contact.html)

Tim Horton's Contact page - Click here (http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/contact.html)

Rona Canada Contact page - Click here (https://shop.rona.ca/member/customer-service)

Wendy's Canada Contact page - Click here (http://www.wendys.ca/contact.jsp)

Jack Astor's Contact email - jacksfeedbag@sircorp.com

Moore's Clothing Contact page - Click here (http://www.mooresclothing.com/mor/company.jsp?tag=contactUs)

Wiser's Whisky Contact email - wisers@corby.ca

Mr. Lube Contact page - Click here (http://www.mrlube.com/about/contact.htm)

Popeye's Chicken Canada Contact page - Click here (http://www.afce.com/our-company/contact-us/)

Stagg Chilli Contact page - Click here (http://www.staggchili.com/default.asp?req=contactus/)

Budweiser Canada Contact email - budweiser@beerdesk.com

Jones Soda Co Contact page - Click here (http://www.jonessoda.com/files/contact_us.php)

Jolt Cola Contact page - Click here (http://www.joltenergy.com/popups/contactUs.html)

Pizza Pizza Contact page - Click here (http://www.pizzapizza.ca/PPLWeb/CommandServlet?command=screenscmd&screenID=ft_contactus)

BF Goodrich Contact page - Click here (http://www.crdhna.com/contact/ca_bfg/contact_us.htm)

Fisherman's Friends Contact page - Click here (http://www.fishermansfriend.ca/contactus.html)

Woodbine Contact page - Click here (http://www.woodbineentertainment.com/ContactUs/index.aspx)

Purolator Contact email - sponsorship@purolator.com

Nolitours Contact email - noli-ventes@transat.com

Fabulous Savings Contact page - Click here (http://www.fabuloussavings.com/html/contact.php)

Tena Contact page - Click here (http://www.tena.ca/english/Contact-us/)

Milk Bone Contact page - Click here (http://www.delmonte.com/contactus/contact.aspx)

Reebok Contact email - corporate@reebok.com

Sirius Canada Contact page - Click here (http://siriuscanada.ca/en/auxiliary/inquiries.aspx)

Sunoco Contact email - info@sunocomail.ca

Autohound Contact page - Click here (http://www.autohound.ca/Contact/Default.aspx)

2001 Audio and Video Contact email - corpsales@2001audiovideo.com (Only contact info I could find on site)

RedTag Vacations Contact page - Click here (http://www.redtag.ca/customer-support.php)

Rogers Contact page - Click here (http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal;jsessionid=hZcsLZmVrH9fCmRnnRyMcBZyJ x1Rx4GrRjRGdgDCGjXQKb811cPQ!-1592155753?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=contactus_page&customer_type=Residential)

=================================

Contacting City Councillors

Semi colon separated for easy pasting into email:

mayor_miller@toronto.ca; councillor_walker@toronto.ca; councillor_stintz@toronto.ca; councillor_davis@toronto.ca; councillor_parker@toronto.ca; councillor_ainslie@toronto.ca; councillor_ashton@toronto.ca; councillor_augimeri@toronto.ca; councillor_bussin@toronto.ca; councillor_carroll@toronto.ca; councillor_cho@toronto.ca; councillor_debaeremaeker@toronto.ca; councillor_delgrande@toronto.ca; councillor_digiorgio@toronto.ca; councillor_feldman@toronto.ca; councillor_filion@toronto.ca; councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca; councillor_ford@toronto.ca; councillor_giambrone@toronto.ca; councillor_grimes@toronto.ca; councillor_hall@toronto.ca; councillor_heaps@toronto.ca; councillor_holyday@toronto.ca; councillor_jenkins@toronto.ca; councillor_kelly@toronto.ca; councillor_lee@toronto.ca; councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca; councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca; councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca; councillor_mihevc@toronto.ca; councillor_milczyn@toronto.ca; councillor_minnan-wong@toronto.ca; councillor_moeser@toronto.ca; councillor_moscoe@toronto.ca; councillor_nunziata@toronto.ca; councillor_ootes@toronto.ca; councillor_palacio@toronto.ca; councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca; councillor_perks@toronto.ca; councillor_perruzza@toronto.ca; councillor_rae@toronto.ca; councillor_saundercook@toronto.ca; councillor_shiner@toronto.ca; councillor_thompson@toronto.ca; councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca

Mac OS X Mail like emails comma separated:

councillor_walker@toronto.ca, councillor_stintz@toronto.ca, councillor_davis@toronto.ca, councillor_parker@toronto.ca, councillor_ainslie@toronto.ca,
councillor_ashton@toronto.ca, councillor_augimeri@toronto.ca, councillor_bussin@toronto.ca, councillor_carroll@toronto.ca, councillor_cho@toronto.ca, councillor_debaeremaeker@toronto.ca, councillor_delgrande@toronto.ca, councillor_digiorgio@toronto.ca, councillor_feldman@toronto.ca, councillor_filion@toronto.ca, councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca, councillor_ford@toronto.ca, councillor_giambrone@toronto.ca, councillor_grimes@toronto.ca, councillor_hall@toronto.ca, councillor_heaps@toronto.ca, councillor_holyday@toronto.ca, councillor_jenkins@toronto.ca, councillor_kelly@toronto.ca, councillor_lee@toronto.ca, councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca, councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca, councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca, councillor_mihevc@toronto.ca, councillor_milczyn@toronto.ca, councillor_minnan-wong@toronto.ca, councillor_moeser@toronto.ca, councillor_moscoe@toronto.ca, councillor_nunziata@toronto.ca, councillor_ootes@toronto.ca, councillor_palacio@toronto.ca, councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca, councillor_perks@toronto.ca, councillor_perruzza@toronto.ca, councillor_rae@toronto.ca, councillor_saundercook@toronto.ca, councillor_shiner@toronto.ca, councillor_thompson@toronto.ca, councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca

Boris
12-04-2009, 07:45 PM
This is a great initiative. The one word of advice that i have is that you make the letters out from a concerned soccer fan or as a taxpayer.

cheers

Redcoe15
12-04-2009, 07:46 PM
But don't some of them also sponsor TFC as well? I know Pizza Pizza does.

Corcai
12-04-2009, 07:50 PM
wow this site seems to be the best spot for advertising for the Argos, as their name has been mentioned here more in the last few days (on many threads), than even their own website.

DOMIN8R
12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
If you are going to this - Please start with the Exhibition Place Board of Governors. They will be the first to evaluate any proposals made regarding Argonaut use of BMO field and they will make recomendations from there.

At this point, the only thing most Councillors, who do not sit on the BoG, know is what they have read in the papers. Which isn't much.

MisterMacphisto
12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
But don't some of them also sponsor TFC as well? I know Pizza Pizza does.

I eat a lot of pizza. If they lose me, their shares will instantly drop 10 basis points. :)

MisterMacphisto
12-04-2009, 07:57 PM
wow this site seems to be the best spot for advertising for the Argos, as their name has been mentioned here more in the last few days (on many threads), than even their own website.

Highly, highly doubt that anyone here is suddenly getting the urge to go watch the Argos. :rolleyes:

MisterMacphisto
12-04-2009, 07:58 PM
If you are going to this - Please start with the Exhibition Place Board of Governors. They will be the first to evaluate any proposals made regarding Argonaut use of BMO field and they will make recomendations from there.

At this point, the only thing most Councillors, who do not sit on the BoG, know is what they have read in the papers. Which isn't much.

Do we have that contact info some where? If so, I will add to the top post.

DOMIN8R
12-04-2009, 08:06 PM
^^ http://www.explace.on.ca/about_us/bog_structure.php

Roogsy
12-04-2009, 08:09 PM
I do know one thing...President's Choice is not only a major sponsor of the team, them (and CIBC) are long-time financial services providers for the owners. I'd concentrate on the other sponsors.

DOMIN8R
12-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that going after a company's livelihood is setting a dangerous precedent?

Corcai
12-04-2009, 08:49 PM
I do know one thing...President's Choice is not only a major sponsor of the team, them (and CIBC) are long-time financial services providers for the owners. I'd concentrate on the other sponsors.

How do you know that?

FluSH
12-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Looks like I'll be busy this Sunday sending off letters...

MisterMacphisto
12-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that going after a company's livelihood is setting a dangerous precedent?

Contacting companies sponsor's to effect change is quite common place and very, very effective. We're not saying we are blindly boycotting their products, we are saying *IF* the Argos come to BMO.

The livelihood I am most concerned about (And as a Toronto FC supporter is my absolute only concern) is the club's livelihood or well being. We and a lot of people have fought hard to push for natural grass on the pitch, and now we are facing the prospect of north American football players tearing that up on a semi-weekly basis with ghastly grid-iron football lines. No matter what anyone says, there is absolutely no way a CFL team can play on our new natural grass pitch and guarantee when time comes for our boys to play, it will be in suitable condition with no fugly grid-iron lines.

The time to starting making sure this doesn't happen is now. I'll be more than happy to continue to support these sponsors if the Argos don't diminish the livelihood of our club. Heck, I might even go out of my way to support them if they assist in stopping this from happening.

profit89
12-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Stay the hell out of BMO

DOMIN8R
12-05-2009, 11:23 AM
We can agree to dissagree, then.

ensco
12-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Contacting companies sponsor's to effect change is quite common place and very, very effective. We're not saying we are blindly boycotting their products, we are saying *IF* the Argos come to BMO.

No. Organizing, or even threatening, consumer boycotts is a hard-core tactic practiced principally by organizations that hold extreme views.

A large number of consumer boycotts are sponsored by extremist anti-Israel, pro-life and animal rights organizations. These boycotts are generally not supported by the majority of those who otherwise identify with the cause being represented.

This isn't a religious crusade. You are taking this someplace it doesn't need to go.

FluSH
12-05-2009, 12:15 PM
The bottom line is this move would be a Lose-Lose situation for Argo fans and TFC Fans...

You are risking the integrity of the game for both Argos/CFL and TFC/MLS... Why would anyone want this? BMO Field is not the solution for the Argos...

MisterMacphisto
12-05-2009, 02:58 PM
We can agree to dissagree, then.

No. Organizing, or even threatening, consumer boycotts is a hard-core tactic practiced principally by organizations that hold extreme views.

A large number of consumer boycotts are sponsored by extremist anti-Israel, pro-life and animal rights organizations. These boycotts are generally not supported by the majority of those who otherwise identify with the cause being represented.

This isn't a religious crusade. You are taking this someplace it doesn't need to go.

Sending an email is hard-core? :facepalm:

Wow. You know, I posted on RPB thinking, if anything... members can get behind a simple email campaign.

Previous RPB prez says to continue with letter writing until some sort of response is organized.
New RPB prez says this is a good initiative, just write as a concerned soccer fan / tax payer. What more direction is needed?
Even Paul B in front office has suggested for leaders to organize

But still, there are people that can't get behind something so simple and basic? Is it really that hopeless? How about growing a pair? I don't mean to be rude, but seriously? Firing off some concerned emails too extreme? Heaven forbid a supporters group be the tiniest bit extreme about the possibility of another franchise coming in and ruining our new turf both literally and figuratively.

Not doing anything now sends out the message that we are not concerned about this. It's not wise to just leave this in the hands for others to hopefully figure out or not.

Maybe sending out emails to sponsors isn't the best plan, but something should be done now and restricting beer purchases to a 2 beer limit in the spring would be too little, too late.

All parties involved need to know NOW how much we are against this and the reasons it would be a epic failure. I haven't even remotely started talking about extreme stuff yet.

ensco
12-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Maybe sending out emails to sponsors isn't the best plan

LOL.

Since you agree on the only point I made, what the hell was the rest of that about?

DOMIN8R
12-05-2009, 03:39 PM
What does your most recent post have to do with my and ensco views that going after Argo corporate sponsors should not be the priority, Mr Macphisto?

denime
12-05-2009, 03:51 PM
OK guys stay on topic.

I just sent 4 emails to CFL commissioner and all CFL Executives as a concerned CFL/Argos fan and to several Councilors.

We can pull this as long we all do our part,GET INVOLVED BEFORE IS TO LATE,SEND THE EMAILS,please :)

MisterMacphisto
12-05-2009, 04:07 PM
LOL.

Since you agree on the only point I made, what the hell was the rest of that about?

I don't agree with a single point you made. While it may not be the *best* plan, it is still a very good plan and an easy one that even the laziest supporter could still do.

The other stuff was about your current and former prez thinking it was a good initiative, in case you missed that.

If the powers that be at the CFL / Argos just get contacted by one or two sponsors conveying concerns, trust me... it will be effective.

Whatever, agree or disagree with your prez, just do something.

ensco
12-05-2009, 04:23 PM
OK guys stay on topic.

Actually denime, I think it is on topic, I'd be curious to know, is it the case that RPB want people to email the Argos corporate sponsors, as someone here is suggesting is the case?

MisterMacphisto
12-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Actually denime, I think it is on topic, I'd be curious to know, is it the case that RPB want people to email the Argos corporate sponsors, as someone here is suggesting is the case?

I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone, but I thought the following post right after my post from the prez of RPB was pretty clear:

This is a great initiative. The one word of advice that i have is that you make the letters out from a concerned soccer fan or as a taxpayer.

cheers

If it makes anyone feel better, how about contacting their sponsors that you don't currently support anyways, and let them know if they stay out of BMO, you'll start buying their products?

A main point I have is, instead of arguing over logistics of doing this or that, just do something! The time is now. Or even sooner according to others:

If you're a fan of the beautiful game in Canada, and you're wondering when's a good time to stand up and be heard...how about NOW!
Paulbeirne 4:49 PM Nov 27th from Tweetie

I'm done with the thread and am spending my time sending more letters.

denime
12-05-2009, 08:09 PM
This is the Councilor we should target ,he is on BoD of Argos :

Ward 6 (Etobicoke-Lakeshore) Mark Grimes - councillor_grimes@toronto.ca (councillor_grimes@toronto.ca)

Even if you don't live in his ward sent emails as concerned Argos/CFL fan ;)

denime
12-07-2009, 07:13 AM

Fair enough.

We want people to send emails to Councilors,Argos Sponsors,CFL,but don't be stupid and threaten anyone in those emails.

All we can do is make a pressure to keep Argos out from BMO Field by pointing out why this move is not good for TFC ,Argos,City of Toronto,tax payers etc.

Now it's time to be heard so people don't be lazy,send emails now or you might be sorry later on.

ALL FOR ONE :scarf:

denime
12-15-2009, 08:50 AM
What is going on with the "move"?

Are we still sending emails or just siting and waiting for news to come out?

nascarguy
12-17-2009, 09:06 AM
now that the cfl has said no to bmo can we close this and all topics about the argos move to bmo