PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland City Stars fold - what's left in USL-1?

Toronto Ruffrider
12-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I know this isn't really TFC/MLS oriented, but since other USL-1/NASL articles are reported here, I figured I'd report this one. Looks like another USL-1 team bites the dust.

Cleveland City Stars Release Players from Contracts

IMS has obtained an email addressed to all players under contract with the Cleveland City Stars and written by team president Jonathan Ortlip and executive director Aaron Tredway. The two front office executives wrote a heartfelt letter to the players of the organization saying that “After months of negotiation and meetings, and in the midst of the conclusion of our sale, the USL decided to terminate our franchise just prior to Thanksgiving.”Read more here (http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2009/12/02/cleveland-city-stars-release-players-from-contracts/#more-12363).

keem-o-sabi
12-04-2009, 05:32 PM
there are 3 teams left, Austin, Portland, Puerto Rico and supposedly this new NYC team....

Kaz
12-04-2009, 07:38 PM
That isn't a League that is .... I don't know what it is... but it's not a league.

tfcleeds
12-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I would imagine a merger of USL-1 and USL-2 is now in the cards...

kodiakTFC
12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
there are 3 teams left, Austin, Portland, Puerto Rico and supposedly this new NYC team....

I've heard that Puerto Rico will be playing in the PRSL. That would a pretty big blow the Puerto Rico soccer fans because the PRSL is worse than the CSL.

Cashcleaner
12-05-2009, 01:33 AM
I would imagine a merger of USL-1 and USL-2 is now in the cards...

But many clubs that are in USL-2 are there because they can't afford to compete at a higher level. For the most part, USL-2 is little more than a semi-pro regional team on the Eastern seaboard. I don't see how they would all be up for competing with the remaining teams from USL-1.

Keystone FC
12-05-2009, 06:32 AM
But many clubs that are in USL-2 are there because they can't afford to compete at a higher level. For the most part, USL-2 is little more than a semi-pro regional team on the Eastern seaboard. I don't see how they would all be up for competing with the remaining teams from USL-1.

Actually most of the clubs in the USL 2 are there because of expenses. The USL 2 is made up of mainly Eastern Coastal clubs so the travel expenses are not as severe.
There has already been a merger of sorts with Charleston moving down to USL 2 which creates a league of:
Charleston
Bermuda - they may be going down to PDL
Charlotte
Harrisburg
Pittsburgh - GO HOUNDS!
Real Maryland - And you thought Salt Lake had the copyrights to Spanish club names.
Richmond
West Mass - nobody knows whats up with guys. The could be in the league or not.
All total 8 clubs. Six if you leave out West Mass and Bermuda.

That pretty much would be the league considering there are still USL 1 clubs: Austin, Portland, PRI, and FCNY.
I can see them either joining the NASL or moving down to the PDL (Austin most likely). FCNY would be a good match in the USL 2 if only they had a club.

Cashcleaner
12-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Actually most of the clubs in the USL 2 are there because of expenses. The USL 2 is made up of mainly Eastern Coastal clubs so the travel expenses are not as severe.
There has already been a merger of sorts with Charleston moving down to USL 2 which creates a league of:
Charleston
Bermuda - they may be going down to PDL
Charlotte
Harrisburg
Pittsburgh - GO HOUNDS!
Real Maryland - And you thought Salt Lake had the copyrights to Spanish club names.
Richmond
West Mass - nobody knows whats up with guys. The could be in the league or not.
All total 8 clubs. Six if you leave out West Mass and Bermuda.

That pretty much would be the league considering there are still USL 1 clubs: Austin, Portland, PRI, and FCNY.
I can see them either joining the NASL or moving down to the PDL (Austin most likely). FCNY would be a good match in the USL 2 if only they had a club.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I don't think some of those clubs would be able to afford the expense of travelling all the way out to Portland or Austin. They never really had the problem in USL-2 because clubs were all fairly close to each other (relatively).

Red CB Toronto
12-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Hey in 1992 the APSL was five teams Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Denver and San Francisco, it would be weird but you never know.