PDA

View Full Version : BMO and Streamers: Official TFC Position on New Policy

DOMIN8R
06-12-2008, 02:46 PM
In the most recent e-mail out to Season Ticket Holders

// STREAMERS
You might have seen in the media that the MLS has been reviewing its policy on the use of streamers at games. The league is still allowing streamers in the stadium, but says “they must not be used to impact on-field competition or thrown toward a player, referee or stadium staff member.” Everyone knows you’re the best fans in the league. Please help us to keep that reputation by following the new policy so that streamers can continue to be part of the TFC game day experience

adamdz
06-12-2008, 02:49 PM
What, so you can wear them as decoration now?

TFCREDNWHITE
06-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Foooockin BULLSHIT!

flatpicker
06-12-2008, 02:52 PM
there ends the corner shower...

but we can still make a mess of the stands...

Lucky Strike
06-12-2008, 02:54 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, thanks Columbus! I wish relocation upon your miserable franchise.

Stencils
06-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Why not migrate the streamers to the upper sections on the west side? Tons of those coming over the side and draping down to the sections below after a goal or something would be great.

werewolf
06-12-2008, 02:56 PM

and thus starts the coin and battery shower!

:p

ilikemusic
06-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Why not migrate the streamers to the upper sections on the west side? Tons of those coming over the side and draping down to the sections below after a goal or something would be great.

If the people up there were going to throw streamers they would have done it by now.

It shouldnt be the RPB or any other SG's responsibility to buy streamers for the prawn sandwich brigade.

Racist Ohioans or not this was coming. Throwing streamers at the players taking a corner will get you thrown out of any stadium in the world and why anyone thinks its their right as a fan is beyond me.

Carts
06-12-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks - my entire office just stood up and stared at me as I burst out into laughter... Beauty line...

But, we can still throw them before game, after goal, or.... ...straight up in the air and if the wind blows it onto the guy taking a corner its not my fault ;)

Carts...

Bobo
06-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Doubt it.

stugautz
06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I say we just streamer the prawn sandwich sections. Then EVERYBODY is happy.

Shaughno
06-12-2008, 03:15 PM
I've been saying this for a while now, the more we interrupt play the more likely they are to stop the streamers.

Jack
06-12-2008, 03:15 PM
We already had a big discussion on this.

It's going to be streamers in the stands as usual. Just don't throw them at players or officials so they don't affect the play on the pitch.

We knew it was coming... at least they've not banned them outright, which would be stupid.

Lucky Strike
06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
The most important thing I think at this point concerning streamers is to follow the league's new rule to the letter. Columbus fans have already disobeyed and we wouldn't want to be lumped in with them. Streamers were fantastic, I still stand by my opinion that it is a shame they were banned (for corners and at players, not in general) but now that the league has said we can't do it (and it has been coming for a while IMHO); let's show our class again.

invictusTFC
06-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Throwing the streamers at the players has gotten old real fast anyways especially after every other SG in the league started doing it. In the end the best fans in the league are not defined by the streamers we throw. Its all about the atmosphere that we have generated at BMO. Players love to come here and play because of the true football atmosphere. It is still quite intimidating for an opposing player to take a corner kick in the south end without streamers. Just the sea of red and the rumbling of the stands is enough to make any opposing player shake. And we don't have to resort to verbal or racial abuse to intimidate. Thats for other team's less sophisticated fans to do.

Hooligan69
06-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Reminds me of the second away trip to Columbus last season. I just wonder what's next on the "getting old" list...

RealG-TFC
06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Just do it at the start of the match simultaneously like all the other places.

Hooligan69
06-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Funny how the league clamps down on streamers yet does absolutely nothing about racial abuse.

werewolf
06-12-2008, 03:54 PM
well they are trying to find the guy and ban him. But that is funny they focus on harmless streamers, and issue press releases about that.

james
06-12-2008, 04:02 PM
hey i love streamers and throwing them at corners was fun and funny as hell. But hey i kind of exspected sooner or later they were gonna stop putting up with that shit. Im happy tho we can still throw streamers as Tifos and what not, it can look really cool if we all throw are streamers at mass before the game. But one thing is, most people in the stadium probably havent herd this message...how is everyone gonna know that we arent sapose to throw streamers at players doing corners???????????

Jack
06-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Throwing the streamers at the players has gotten old real fast anyways especially after every other SG in the league started doing it. In the end the best fans in the league are not defined by the streamers we throw. Its all about the atmosphere that we have generated at BMO. Players love to come here and play because of the true football atmosphere. It is still quite intimidating for an opposing player to take a corner kick in the south end without streamers. Just the sea of red and the rumbling of the stands is enough to make any opposing player shake. And we don't have to resort to verbal or racial abuse to intimidate. Thats for other team's less sophisticated fans to do.

I resort to verbal abuse on corners...:hide:

Hooligan69
06-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I verbally abuse the opposing team's players all the time. :eek:

RPLProducer
06-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Fucking right it's about time!

I remember at a game this year on a corner the ball slammed of a streamer and veered wildly towards midfield. Totally fucks with the legitamacy of the game and is unacceptable.

TorontoBlades
06-12-2008, 04:12 PM
thank God they didn't mention anything about batteries

^ this right here is a joke....please don't get all wierd on me

james
06-12-2008, 04:14 PM

i verbal abuse players all the time......not racially tho. I verbally abuse them all evenly

DOMIN8R
06-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, batteries is just unacceptable. Now marbles on the other hand.....:rolleyes:

Hooligan69
06-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Screw you guys, I'm throwing flares, batteries, marbles, half-filled beer cups and smoke bombs from now on. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. :lol: :lol:

Flipityflu
06-12-2008, 04:24 PM
you know, we can use all the streamers that get chucked during corners at the begining of the match after the anthems, and it will look fantastic. we really moved away from that.

james
06-12-2008, 04:31 PM
you know, we can use all the streamers that get chucked during corners at the begining of the match after the anthems, and it will look fantastic. we really moved away from that.

ya it will look better then throwing them at corners.

rocker
06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
think positive: in 20 years you can tell your kids about how they used to toss streamers at players and how great it was back then in the good old days. :)

Brooker
06-12-2008, 04:42 PM
think positive: in 20 years you can tell your kids about how they used to toss streamers at players and how great it was back then in the good old days. :)

that's the first thing i thought about....

"remember when..."

btw:

THANKS COLUMBUS.

flatpicker
06-12-2008, 04:46 PM
No worries folks... I have the solution to your problems...

We want streamers but we don't want them to interfere with play??

Well how about these?

Who's with me!! :D

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/57184170.jpg

:noidea:

Smuttynose
06-12-2008, 04:50 PM

Well how about these?

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:
hahaha i'm totally in!!

Boris
06-12-2008, 04:54 PM
^ hahahahahahahahhaahhahahah id pay money to see that :D

Kevvv
06-12-2008, 04:54 PM
^ Coincidentally, that will be the new sobriety test to get on the GO

Ageroo
06-12-2008, 04:55 PM

well my use behind the net has just been limited....but you are right...just more to throw after the anthems and after goals......

I am cool with that for sure!

Hooligan69
06-12-2008, 04:55 PM
^ Coincidentally, that will be the new sobriety test to get on the GO

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

Toronto Ruffrider
06-12-2008, 04:56 PM

Don't forget about the urine bags! Oh wait, that's the Costa Rican supporters. My bad.:p

Keystone FC
06-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Funny how the league clamps down on streamers yet does absolutely nothing about racial abuse.

Totally agree with you there Billy. Out of an investigation into racial abuse comes a ban on streamers?
I guess according to the MLS and Garber STREAMERS = RACISM.
I can see a sign right now:
KICK STREAMERS OUT OF FOOTBALL!

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-12-2008, 05:03 PM
we will all have to bring out flags out again...they have not been banned...yet?

ag futbol
06-12-2008, 05:12 PM
My thoughts exactly.

So we can't throw them to affect play, they'll still be there after the anthem and after every goal. I'm not going to cry about it.

ThunderBaby
06-12-2008, 05:22 PM

Well said. I agree. I didn't feel that affecting the play on the pitch was in good form anyway. I think we do well to intimidate the opposing teams just from out overwhelming ardour and passion as SG's.

Deliberately hurling them (streamers) at players IMO has a certain level of classlessness to it. It can too easily escilate to more dangerous things, such as water bottles, etc.
The incident in Columbus just proves that something that's intended to be friendly jibing can be taken too far. Those streamers can hurt if hit with one soaking wet with rain at ten yards.

I love the display the streamers provide I just don't agree with them affecting play or using them in a malicious manner to hurt a player, official, or anyone for that matter. I know I wouldn't want something hurled at my head while I was trying to play.

That's just my opinion.

SilverSamurai
06-12-2008, 05:31 PM
They said only MLS games...
they didn't say anything about friendlies and Canada games ;)

You KNOW the Impact deserve the streamer shower ;)

DOMIN8R
06-12-2008, 05:55 PM
yes. good point.

TFC_Toon
06-12-2008, 06:22 PM
If the people up there were going to throw streamers they would have done it by now.

It shouldnt be the RPB or any other SG's responsibility to buy streamers for the prawn sandwich brigade.

Racist Ohioans or not this was coming. Throwing streamers at the players taking a corner will get you thrown out of any stadium in the world and why anyone thinks its their right as a fan is beyond me.

Have to agree with this statement, the writing has been on the wall for some time.

RPB will show our class, we always do.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-12-2008, 06:29 PM
They said only MLS games...
they didn't say anything about friendlies and Canada games ;)

You KNOW the Impact deserve the streamer shower ;)

and the caps...im savinga few for BOB!!!

AL-MO
06-12-2008, 06:30 PM

We had an idea of doing a 'streamer shower' but we haven't gone through with the idea as of yet.

SilverSamurai
06-12-2008, 07:31 PM
and the caps...im savinga few for BOB!!!

If you're going to lose on the streamer shower, do it during the Canada qualifiers :D Not an MLS game. Means it's allowed!:hump:

Rossiroo
06-12-2008, 07:44 PM
BS, how about the league focus on important issues like racial abuse before looking for an excuse to ban streamers during play.

rocker
06-12-2008, 08:22 PM
i'd definitely love to still see a streamer shower for the corners during the Canada Cup games. piss off the Limp Act and Whitecaps.

SilverSamurai
06-12-2008, 09:00 PM
i'd definitely love to still see a streamer shower for the corners during the Canada Cup games. piss off the Limp Act and Whitecaps.

I don't think we're the only ones...

Bombonera
06-12-2008, 09:47 PM
OK with Field turf? Key, skilled players being pulled away week after week for meaningless "friendlies"!? And it seems like MLS's biggest concern is the affect "streamers" are having on the game.

Our rights as fans are being trampled on. We are not mindless fanatics, we love the game. Let's get serious and demand the football experience we as paying fans deserve! ENSCO FOR PRESIDENT!

werewolf
06-12-2008, 09:51 PM
see here for streamer discussion - http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1891

Bombonera
06-12-2008, 09:58 PM
APologies, this is not really about streamers. I think we all know what is going with those...

This thread is about, "What can we do to get these blithering idots to provide us with a satisfying experince" Clearly there are many knowledgeable fans, and we should DEMAND more.

Part of the probelm i think lies in our need to keep our season's tickets or lose them forever... We roar like lions on the boards, but when it comes right down to it, we are at the mercy of medicrrity. Are you OK with that?

J .
06-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I hope people dont start becoming rats if someone does throw them

egoodwin
06-12-2008, 11:33 PM
at least I won't be literally throwing away my money anymore

Blazer
06-12-2008, 11:39 PM

And soon thereafter the mesh netting is erected.

greatwhitenorf
06-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey, how about organizing a protest against racism? Let's get everyone to draw the league's attention to the matter by chanting 'Racism Sucks' and, what else? - Emphasising our point by WRITING THE MESSAGE on STREAMERS and THROWING THEM!!!

If the league wants to endure a black eye by cracking down on an anti-racism protest, that's their problem.

werewolf
06-13-2008, 12:07 AM
^ I agree with those sentiments. The league is so quick to review policies on streamers, which really weren't even an issue, yet where are the press releases condemning the racial abuse. Sure it has been mentioned, but why is it getting so little time in the spotlight by comparison.

Azerban
06-13-2008, 12:36 AM
They will still be thrown, because half the people who throw them aren't a part of a supporters group.

So just throw, throw away, and to do anything else would be to succumb to their retarded demands like a pussy, and would be like agreeing that streamers are a much bigger problem than calling players ******s.

WHITEY
06-13-2008, 12:42 AM
I thought this may amuse some of you; a posting from the Vancouver Southsiders (Whitecaps Supporters Group) forum:

"What was the Duze thinking?

You can now expect the streamers to be TWICE as bad when the Caps play at BMO. aaaargh."

Roogsy
06-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Done and done.

The CSA is too disorganized to do anything about streamers at Canada Cup games...LOL!

Hooligan69
06-13-2008, 01:02 AM
^ I agree with those sentiments. The league is so quick to review policies on streamers, which really weren't even an issue, yet where are the press releases condemning the racial abuse. Sure it has been mentioned, but why is it getting so little time in the spotlight by comparison.

Because nobody in MLS has any balls to take a stand.

Brooker
06-13-2008, 01:30 AM
how are casual fans in the corners supposed to know about this new rule?

Fort York Redcoat
06-13-2008, 06:40 AM
NOW I don't care about streamers. It wasn't unique worlwide but was unique to the league and made it different from other sports. The interruption in play was very small, very safe and looked great. Throwing streamers in the stands for no reason? That'll last...

Barbarez
06-13-2008, 06:57 AM
who cares

Red CB Toronto
06-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Still toss them on the corners, they are just saying this so they league will be happy.

pat416
06-13-2008, 07:40 AM
It would be cool to do a cross end to end massive but while we are doing that one side chucks streamers high in the air then the other side responds

invictusTFC
06-13-2008, 08:01 AM
I resort to verbal abuse on corners...:hide:

OK I admit it, I do too... lol... but in my head its always justified...

invictusTFC
06-13-2008, 08:06 AM
I verbally abuse the opposing team's players all the time. :eek:

Technically it is not verbal abuse if what is being said is true. For example, calling Schellotto a diving cunt is completely justified because it is the truth...

Chevy
06-13-2008, 08:50 AM

...and also tell them about the plastic pitch they used to play on.

Oldtimer
06-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Tossing streamers at players was funny at first, but throwing anything at players is not allowed in any league in the world. We should move on.

CenturySam
06-13-2008, 09:59 AM
we should save the streamers in the way we have been using them, for a time when it will make the most impact (eg. playoffs) until then just try and think of something else, maybe empty beer cups, save them up and throw them on the pitch after the game. maybe if they play like crap and lose, it would show our frustration. but i don't think that will happen in our house for a while!

stretchthetruth
06-13-2008, 03:50 PM
how are casual fans in the corners supposed to know about this new rule?

The club sent out an email to every STH this week...

MFBODD
06-13-2008, 04:12 PM

Well how about these?

What match is this from? I've never seen this shot of Landycakes before.

So, if we start throwing toilet paper we're good?

Sid
06-13-2008, 08:03 PM
i think to be honest still keep bring streamers but out of repacted of the players dont throw it at them

adampz
06-13-2008, 08:31 PM
what about the canada cup games, can we throw streamers then. Also, i say we just start throwing toilet paper now:)

MFBODD
06-13-2008, 09:56 PM
what about the canada cup games, can we throw streamers then. Also, i say we just start throwing toilet paper now:)

We'll be good just as long as it's not used...

noochie
06-13-2008, 09:59 PM
We'll be good just as long as it's not used...

unless the opponent is the Crew...

Mrs. Workie
06-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Well how about these?

Dude, I totally had one of those when I was little!

So this means I can still throw streamers from row 20! They never make it to the pitch anyways...they end up somewhere in rows 8-10 :)

ExiledRed
06-13-2008, 10:10 PM
save the streamers and throw them when we score.

how hard is that ffs?

what is the fucking confusion here?

Mrs. Workie
06-13-2008, 10:14 PM
save the streamers and throw them when we score.

how hard is that ffs?

what is the fucking confusion here?

I find it's a common problem with boys:

THINGS HAPPEN PREMATURELY

:D

shaggingscot
06-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I find it's a common problem with men:

Poor Workie...

Hooligan69
06-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I find it's a common problem with men:

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

Mrs. Workie
06-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Poor Workie...

Not Workie :D

maybe I should go back and edit my statement...