PDA

View Full Version : Friendlies - July 5 and July 15?

ensco
05-14-2008, 11:43 AM
looking like July 5 and July 15:confused:
heard it this morning from someone close to the team
he/she wouldn't tell me the teams
if true, gonna be a busy July....

Pinkie
05-14-2008, 11:47 AM
WOW...it will be a crazy july...oh man so many sleep-deprived wordays will ensue...

Maple Leaf Red
05-14-2008, 12:17 PM
any word on the opponents?

TorontoBlades
05-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I can't wait. It's starting to feel like offseason all over again with this 2 week layoff

arsenal
05-14-2008, 12:27 PM

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

graeme117
05-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Man i have to be at a wedding on the 5th, and the only reason my buddy picked the fifth was because he figured there would be no tfc match b/c of the (now defunct) indy... guess all five of our tickets will be up for sale

peskypetey
05-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Man, the wife is gonna be pissed at me in July... haha!

Lucky Strike
05-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Fortunately, I don't have to much to do.

Don Julio
05-14-2008, 01:01 PM
This'll be great for getting injuries!

GabrielHurl
05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
any word on the opponents?

Pachuca and Independiente

Lucky Strike
05-14-2008, 01:18 PM
^ Seriously or you're just pulling legs?

VPjr
05-14-2008, 01:26 PM
i REALLY hope that Independiente is one of the friendly opponents. that would be awesome.

I'm not a fan of these international friendlies in general but if we have to play them, I love the possibility that we will get a good quality Agentine side.

I know that there are alot of supporters of English clubs here on this board but those teams are all well covered by North American media outlets. We don't get nearly as much coverage of my favorite leagues (Argentina and Holland are 2 of my favorites, along with Italy, Germany and Spain) so I'll be really happy if these rumours are true.

peskypetey
05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
i

I know that there are alot of supporters of English clubs here on this board but those teams are all well covered by North American media outlets.

Which is why the league would be served better if we played those teams. I don't know Pachuca and Independiente and could care less about going to watch them and I'm sure they're are plenty of people like me. IMO if the league wants exposure in North America you should at least be playing teams that are familiar to some of the people and the media, and that's probably teams from the EPL... just my 2 cents :)

Maple Leaf Red
05-14-2008, 01:46 PM
July 5th?!?! DAMMIT!I hope the Independiente one is on the 5th so I can sell my tickets to an Argentinian friend...

VPjr
05-14-2008, 01:48 PM
^ you have the right to your opinion but I'm pretty sure that there are ALOT of fans (like me) that would prefer to sell their tickets than go see the average EPL side. Unless its Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea, I could care less about EPL football. I watch it but it just means nothing to me. I sold my Aston Villa and Benfica tickets last year because neither team was much of an attraction to me. Of course, for every person like me, there are plenty of supporters of both of those teams who were more than happy to take my tickets.

I'm curious how much Argentine soccer some of you have ever watched. Their domestic league is incredibly entertaining. A game vs. Independiente would be outstanding to watch.

Pachuca would be cool too but I'm not a very close follower of the Mexican leagues.

roach105
05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I will probably be broke by the end of July. Whats a man to do! There is potentially a Chicago road trip to add into the mix.

Leprechaun
05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Independiente would be nice but I wouldn't even bother going if Pachuca was a friendly.

Red CB Toronto
05-14-2008, 01:57 PM
That both would be exciting games, very interested to a South American team, looking forward to it.

peskypetey
05-14-2008, 01:58 PM
^ you have the right to your opinion but I'm pretty sure that there are ALOT of fans (like me) that would prefer to sell their tickets than go see the average EPL side. Unless its Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea, I could care less about EPL football. I watch it but it just means nothing to me. I sold my Aston Villa and Benfica tickets last year because neither team was much of an attraction to me. Of course, for every person like me, there are plenty of supporters of both of those teams who were more than happy to take my tickets.

I'm curious how much Argentine soccer some of you have ever watched. Their domestic league is incredibly entertaining. A game vs. Independiente would be outstanding to watch.

Pachuca would be cool too but I'm not a very close follower of the Mexican leagues.

You're right I haven't watched much Argentine football, and I'm sure it's really good but, my point was from more of league perspective. They'd get greater exposure/marketing playing EPL teams in North America than teams from Argentina. The more exposure/coverage we get the better and I think EPL would benefit the league more.

Pachuco
05-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Independiente would be nice but I wouldn't even bother going if Pachuca was a friendly.

what? I'm confused here, are you a TFC fan? or just some other club fan who pretends to be a TFC fan? TFC is playing a Mexican team and you wouldn't bother going? but you go watch them play MLS teams? you wouldn't bother watching them play against the two time defending concacaf champs but you'll watch them play the shite Red Bulls?

Maple Leaf Red
05-14-2008, 02:04 PM
peskypetey - I think you're discounting the effect that having hispanic teams play could have as well. They are a huge demographic that the MLS has been targetting strongly for quite a long time. The league would probably benefit more from drawing those fans in than from focusing on the smaller group that watches the EPL in North America.

peskypetey
05-14-2008, 02:19 PM
peskypetey - I think you're discounting the effect that having hispanic teams play could have as well. They are a huge demographic that the MLS has been targetting strongly for quite a long time. The league would probably benefit more from drawing those fans in than from focusing on the smaller group that watches the EPL in North America.

Very good point, but, from a overall media perspective I still believe that they'd pay more attention to an EPL team with coverage, articles etc. and the average fan would prefer EPL.

Niall
05-14-2008, 02:24 PM
How reliable is the Pachuca/Independiente rumour? Does anyone have a link or anything substantial to back this up? Either way it would be a nice bresh of fresh air for me, I only really follow serie a, EPL and MLS. Will be nice to see our future competition...

Pachuco
05-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Very good point, but, from a overall media perspective I still believe that they'd pay more attention to an EPL team with coverage, articles etc. and the average fan would prefer EPL.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Toronto is pretty multicultural and so is the demographic of BMO field attendance. There is alllllot of people that want to see South American teams play here.

Don Julio
05-14-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't follow Mexican soccer but I've seen Pachuca play a few times. Always against MLS teams. Kind of takes the specialness out of it. For games that really mean nothing I prefer fantasy matchups rather than ones that likely will eventually occur in CL.

Leprechaun
05-14-2008, 02:31 PM
what? I'm confused here, are you a TFC fan? or just some other club fan who pretends to be a TFC fan? TFC is playing a Mexican team and you wouldn't bother going? but you go watch them play MLS teams? you wouldn't bother watching them play against the two time defending concacaf champs but you'll watch them play the shite Red Bulls?

umm....if you haven't noticed those games are friendlies....which mean they don't mean much....and a game against the red bulls actually means something.

but ya i guess you caught me bud...i'm just pretending to be a TFC fan for fun. i'm a STH and have been to pretty much every game and have been on this forum everyday before TFC even played a game. fucken moron

VoxPopuliCosmicum
05-14-2008, 02:31 PM

Funny, my source told me June 4 or 5 for Pachuca and July 15or 16 for Independiente. I guess we'll see. June 4 sounded a bit weird, given that it's only 2 weeks away.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-14-2008, 02:32 PM
As long as TFC is playing, I’ll be there. Playing a good Mexican side like Pachuca is good preparation for the CCL. I still think we might see one of Sporting, Benfica, or Porto play TFC in addition to Pachuca or Independiente.

werewolf
05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Pachuca is the best team on the continent, if we hope to do anything in the Champions League, odds are we will have to go through them in a match for real. It will be good to get a preview of these matches.

Additionally, if West Ham is the premier match of the season for us, what kind of friendly opponents would we get? Stoke City? Yeovil Town?

TO DEVILS
05-14-2008, 02:36 PM
^ Seriously or you're just pulling legs?

He is serious...those are the teams.

ilikemusic
05-14-2008, 02:37 PM
When is management going to take the team seriously and either A. scrap the midseason friendlies or B. schedule them during, oh I dont, A TWO WEEK BREAK LIKE THIS ONE!!!!

This is really frustrating!

'Hey lets injure our players and risk our standing in the league so that we can charge alot of money for some exhibition games.'

:mad:

TFC07
05-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I wished TFC were playing against Boca Jr. instead of Independiente. :(

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-14-2008, 02:43 PM
When is management going to take the team seriously and either A. scrap the midseason friendlies or B. schedule them during, oh I dont, A TWO WEEK BREAK LIKE THIS ONE!!!!

'Hey lets injure our players and risk our standing in the league so that we can charge alot of money for some exhibition games.'

Along the same lines . . . When is management going to announce these games? What’s the hold up?

peskypetey
05-14-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Toronto is pretty multicultural and so is the demographic of BMO field attendance. There is alllllot of people that want to see South American teams play here.

Absolutely agree, I guess we'll have to wait and see what attendance is like if it turns out these are the teams we'll play. Media wise I can tell you with the with the price of newsprint and the Olympics coming up these games probably won't get very much coverage if any.

VPjr
05-14-2008, 03:02 PM
I wished TFC were playing against Boca Jr. instead of Independiente. :(

Boca, River or San Lorenzo would be great but any of the Top 10 Argentine clubs is fine by me. I really hope that the rumours are legit

GabrielHurl
05-14-2008, 03:10 PM
He is serious...those are the teams.

so speaketh the man

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-14-2008, 04:04 PM

they can only get team when they are available not us. yes this two week break would have been ideal, but july would be just as good.

Ageroo
05-14-2008, 04:05 PM
what the hell...July 5th...I schedule a vacation around then because I thought for sure no game....bloody hell!

akoto
05-14-2008, 04:07 PM
How reliable is the Pachuca/Independiente rumour? Does anyone have a link or anything substantial to back this up? Either way it would be a nice bresh of fresh air for me, I only really follow serie a, EPL and MLS. Will be nice to see our future competition...

At the TFC vs NYRB Reserve game Mo told 6 of us that it would be Pachuca and Independiente. So pretty reliable but as we all know Mo has been wrong before.

ensco
05-14-2008, 06:27 PM
At the TFC vs NYRB Reserve game Mo told 6 of us that it would be Pachuca and Independiente. So pretty reliable but as we all know Mo has been wrong before.

Like when he said TFC would be going to Dubai and China in the offseason?:rolleyes:

Red CB Toronto
05-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Last weekend would have been great for a friendly, halfway between a 17 day layoff between league games, even if they did not play a top flight club, say some from the A-League etc. those good old Sydney FC would have been a good time, playing both of them in June just craps up an already busy stetch, one in many ways might be too busy for anyones good.

London
05-14-2008, 06:34 PM
july 1st montreal
july 5th friendly
july12th at chicago
july 15friendly
july22 vancouver
july 24th mls allstar

that is alot of games to attend in 1 month!!!

giambac
05-14-2008, 06:36 PM

If Pachuca comes I definetly wouldn't go. Who gives a rat ass if they are a two time concacef champion. what so good or tough about that. the whole region isn't strong.

They are friendly matches andthe only friendly match I would consider going to watch is against a vaild European or South American team.

I will sale my tickets even at a discount to recover some of my costs for the regular season games.

Red CB Toronto
05-14-2008, 06:37 PM
RPBLondon, do you have all-star game tickets? I was able to get a pair myself

Red CB Toronto
05-14-2008, 06:38 PM
TFC gave all the STH's their friendlies as a bonus, correct?

London
05-14-2008, 06:38 PM
RPBLondon, do you have all-star game tickets? I was able to get a pair myself

as of now I have a single in 112

Red CB Toronto
05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Good, so what time will you be at BMO on Saturday?

icecoldbeer
05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
This is around the same time that they announced the friendlies last year. I think we should know within the next week!

Boris
05-14-2008, 07:28 PM
If Pachuca comes I definetly wouldn't go. Who gives a rat ass if they are a two time concacef champion. what so good or tough about that. the whole region isn't strong.

They are friendly matches andthe only friendly match I would consider going to watch is against a vaild European or South American team.

I will sale my tickets even at a discount to recover some of my costs for the regular season games.

....uh huh....:rolleyes:

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-14-2008, 10:12 PM

lets see the vaild europe countries, england ,scotland, holland,germany,
spain, croatia, russia, turkey, lost of good teams there. But your here
to support TFC not the opponents....;)

Pachuco
05-14-2008, 10:57 PM
umm....if you haven't noticed those games are friendlies....which mean they don't mean much....and a game against the red bulls actually means something.

but ya i guess you caught me bud...i'm just pretending to be a TFC fan for fun. i'm a STH and have been to pretty much every game and have been on this forum everyday before TFC even played a game. fucken moron

Actualy who looks like the moron? crying like a baby because it's a Mexican team and not some fucking European team so you can grab the player's balls after the game. How pathetic to spend all your time on these boards and when the players get out on the field you decide not to support them because the other team doesn't have enough star power for you.

Pachuco
05-14-2008, 11:04 PM

Trust me, the team and RPB is much better off with you supporting another team. really I don't think I've ever read a comment from you that didn't sound like a 13 year old girl pissed off because she can't see Beckham in Toronto.

Laurignano
05-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Actualy who looks like the moron? crying like a baby because it's a Mexican team and not some fucking European team so you can grab the player's balls after the game. How pathetic to spend all your time on these boards and when the players get out on the field you decide not to support them because the other team doesn't have enough star power for you.

Now now lets not get all angry at each other. Im with you though on this one, I dont care who comes I am going to the game and im cheering on TFC for a victory...becasue one day we are going to play Pachuca for an actual match which means something, would be kind of cool to see where we stand up agianst the Mexican Giants. dont you think?!

Pachuco
05-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Now now lets not get all angry at each other. Im with you though on this one, I dont care who comes I am going to the game and im cheering on TFC for a victory...becasue one day we are going to play Pachuca for an actual match which means something, would be kind of cool to see where we stand up agianst the Mexican Giants. dont you think?!

I'm going to watch TFC Academy against Toronto Croatia (most likely in the rain) just because the players will be wearing the TFC uniform. Trust me, I agree.

Strikers
05-14-2008, 11:10 PM

Even though we are in a weak region shouldn't we play games against the competition? If TFC ever became CONCACAF Champions would you not see that as a great accomplishment for the team? A beth in the World Club Championship with a chance to play the CL winner.

They are friendly matches and the only friendly match I would consider going to watch is against a vaild European or South American team.

What is a valid team in your opinion? The only way the big euro clubs will ever play TFC, is if the friendly matches would not be included as part of the seasons tickets. Those teams ask for big money and usually field many of the reserve players.

I support TFC, I will watch any match they play.

My last question is will you go the the Canada Cup games? If so why would you go watch those games and not go watch a team from the best football league in North America.

ilikemusic
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
they can only get team when they are available not us. yes this two week break would have been ideal, but july would be just as good.

What im saying is just dont bother playing the friendly if it is just going to create fixture congestion.

They are pressing on with having friendlies despite the fact that they cant get one that is conducive to the teams success. Experience against top level opposition is great, but not when it could directly affect our ability to get maximum points form all our league games.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
05-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Even though we are in a weak region shouldn't we play games against the competition? If TFC ever became CONCACAF Champions would you not see that as a great accomplishment for the team? A beth in the World Club Championship with a chance to play the CL winner.

It's as simple as this:

If TFC beat Pachuca, and Pachuca wins the Club World Cup, then TFC is the best football club on the planet. :D

sidvan
05-15-2008, 05:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they anounce the friendlies after the STH window for CONCACAF Canada Cup tickets closes. Gotta get the cash first.

Josh the Great 117
05-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Man i have to be at a wedding on the 5th, and the only reason my buddy picked the fifth was because he figured there would be no tfc match b/c of the (now defunct) indy... guess all five of our tickets will be up for sale

Sorry Graeme!!!

brad
05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Those teams ask for big money and usually field many of the reserve players.

Especially true the summer after a major international tournament.

Richard D
05-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Chelsea and Sporting (just guessing...lol)

giambac
05-15-2008, 09:34 AM

What is a valid team in your opinion? The only way the big euro clubs will ever play TFC, is if the friendly matches would not be included as part of the seasons tickets. Those teams ask for big money and usually field many of the reserve players.

I support TFC, I will watch any match they play.

My last question is will you go the the Canada Cup games? If so why would you go watch those games and not go watch a team from the best football league in North America.

The answer is no, I'm not going to watch the CC games becasue it is a money making machine for the clubs involved to make more money. I would not pay to watch divsion 3 socccer (which is whatt the USL is at best). Similary I wouldn't pay to watch Pachuca which would be equivalent to a division 3 team in Europe. I am selling my tickets to recover costs for my season tickets.

For Friendlies thay should be playing European teams.

I will not pay to watch boring soccer vs Pachuca. I will leave that to Pachuco and his buddies.
The league matches count for somethi g so I will concentrate on those matches.

ComeonyouReds
05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
No Argentinian teams please. Those dates look alright though...

Nuvinho
05-15-2008, 10:36 AM
I will bring up Barca again, since they how have a deal with MLS.

Maple Leaf Red
05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
The answer is no, I'm not going to watch the CC games becasue it is a money making machine for the clubs involved to make more money. I would not pay to watch divsion 3 socccer (which is whatt the USL is at best). Similary I wouldn't pay to watch Pachuca which would be equivalent to a division 3 team in Europe. I am selling my tickets to recover costs for my season tickets.

I will not pay to watch boring soccer vs Pachuca. I will leave that to Pachuco and his buddies.

Pachuca is not a division 3 team in Europe. Don't go if you don't want to but don't let your euro-centricity skew the truth.

arsenal
05-15-2008, 11:02 AM

I will not pay to watch boring soccer vs Pachuca.

ROFLMAO .... they better get more European teams ... if I am stuck watching boring Pachuca instead of the non-stop entertainment we experienced in the Benfica game I am going to be pissed :rolleyes:

masrawy
05-15-2008, 11:11 AM

http://soulassassins.com/wp-content/douchebag2.jpg

And learn how to spell.

Thank you.

Nodoubtguy
05-15-2008, 12:29 PM
I will bring up Barca again, since they how have a deal with MLS.

As soon as I saw the article, my only thought was.....GET ON THIS!!!:D

GabrielHurl
05-15-2008, 12:30 PM
It's Pachuca and Independiente

It'll not be Barcelona

nfitz
05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
In theory we could see Pachuca here twice this year then if we both qualify and land in the same Champions League group ... bet the tickets to the second game would be cheaper ...

VPjr
05-15-2008, 03:09 PM
its kind of sad that people totally have no respect for top level soccer that they are not familiar with.

I don't watch Mexican soccer to the same degree that I pay attention to Argentine soccer but Pachuca is certainly not equivalent to a 3rd Division European team. I'd be willing to bet money that the top 3 teams in Mexico could easily avoid relegation in EPL (if they weren't forced to play during the English winter). Pachuca is certainly better than Fulham or Sunderland. Mexico is a very competitive league and when I have watched Mexican league games on TV, I've always been entertained. Same with Argentina's primera. The entertainment value is unbelievable and the fans are some of the craziest in the world.

ensco
05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
its kind of sad that people totally have no respect for top level soccer that they are not familiar with.

I don't watch Mexican soccer to the same degree that I pay attention to Argentine soccer but Pachuca is certainly not equivalent to a 3rd Division European team. I'd be willing to bet money that the top 3 teams in Mexico could easily avoid relegation in EPL (if they weren't forced to play during the English winter). Pachuca is certainly better than Fulham or Sunderland. Mexico is a very competitive league and when I have watched Mexican league games on TV, I've always been entertained. Same with Argentina's primera. The entertainment value is unbelievable and the fans are some of the craziest in the world.

Agreed. Have a look at this golazo, scored in 2003 by Toluca. You won't find a higher quality team goal in any league anywhere.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/776941/best_team_goal_ever/

Truth is, most of us don't know much about Mexico (I'm talking about more than soccer). Away from the resorts, it's just not on the radar screen.

VPjr
05-15-2008, 03:46 PM
^ great goal...wow...thing of beauty

Toronto Gunner
05-15-2008, 03:57 PM
This is bull-stuff - we planned our honeymoon around the TFC schedule, and now I find out that we're going to miss one of the premium matches?

awwww crap.

RealG-TFC
05-15-2008, 04:02 PM

Someone is quite the Eurosnob. I bet Pachuca could have it's way with some Serie A teams.

GuelphStorm2007
05-15-2008, 04:32 PM
No matter who the Friendlies are against, the way I look at it is a chance to see maybe players who do not play a whole lot to actually get some playing time. Hopefully the friendlies are against a Euuro team and a South American team.

rocker
05-15-2008, 04:46 PM
I wonder if a team like Pachuca might take it a bit more seriously considering they'll be facing a potential future rival (as opposed to some team from Europe coming over for a little holiday and a kickabout).

ensco
05-15-2008, 05:01 PM
There are several countries that have really strong domestic leagues but success in the World Cup just hasn't been there, for whatever reason. Mexico and Portugal are the best examples. (Spain and England are also examples, but they're more complicated situations.)

We tend to underrate Mexico because the USA has inexplicably owned them the last 5 years. But remember...

In 2006, Mexico gave Argentina a very tough time in the Round of 16 game (Argentina won it late), and in 2002 Mexico lost in the Round of 16 to the USA (that's still considered their national nightmare game, btw). In 1998 they led Germany most of the way in the Round of 16 game, before memorably losing late. In the Round of 16 in 1994, they went out on penalties to Bulgaria at Giants Stadium in what was essentially a home game for them (also not fondly remembered by tricolore faithful)

My point is, they've been in the Round of 16 four times running - only a handful of teams (Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Italy, and Mexico) can say that. Think about that.

One of these times Mexico are going to win it all.

Derko
05-15-2008, 05:30 PM
I rather like Mexican Football, it's very good. My opinon.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-15-2008, 06:49 PM

you won't watch boring soccer vs Pachuca, yet you watch italian football where they made boring football famous!!!:p

GuelphStorm2007
05-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Nothing wrong with Mexican Soccer, Thier only problem of recent is they cannot beat the Americans.

giambac
05-16-2008, 09:08 AM
you won't watch boring soccer vs Pachuca, yet you watch italian football where they made boring football famous!!!:p

4 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS;)

rocker
05-16-2008, 09:17 AM
4 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS;)

and that's not mutually exclusive from "boring football" ;)

giambac
05-16-2008, 09:31 AM
and that's not mutually exclusive from "boring football" ;)

I Guess you can't read.. FActs don't lie my friend

4 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS;)
2 TIME EURO CHAMPIONS:rolleyes:

Rochdale
05-16-2008, 10:16 AM
A birdie has told me that a German team will be one. Hope so.

GabrielHurl
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Well - many people from within the club have said it's Pachuca and Independiente

FluSH
05-16-2008, 10:27 AM

What do you mean they couldn't tell you the teams????

Let's send in The Wolf to put some pressure!

stugautz
05-16-2008, 10:29 AM
If it's Pachuca and Independiente, I like the idea! This is what friendlies are about, giving exposure to teams that we normally wouldn't get a chance to see. Sure I'd love to see Inter or Roma play up here, but they'd be sending nothing but reserves.

FluSH
05-16-2008, 10:32 AM
I wonder if a team like Pachuca might take it a bit more seriously considering they'll be facing a potential future rival (as opposed to some team from Europe coming over for a little holiday and a kickabout).

This will be golden for me... facing a meaningful opponent in our region is always a plus!

Not to mention that all of the other leagues in the Americas still consider the MLS a joke... This one will be for respect.

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2008, 10:41 AM
MLS needs to raise its stature within the international soccer community, Becks coming here was the first step, a good showing by a few of the MLS teams will raise it further, so friendlies against good teams can only help and then to top it all off you have to go out and beat them, so it will be interested to see how everything goes once TFC's two friendlies become official.

VPjr
05-16-2008, 02:41 PM

4 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS;)

Listen, my father is from Italy and I wish the Azzuri well and hope they are successful (if Canada is not playing) but Italy is more or less the New Jersey Devils of soccer. Boring can be very successful if your players are disciplined and well coached. Italy has discipline and strong coaching coming out their arse. So, yes, they are one of the most successful soccer nations in the world but they national team is often more boring than watching paint dry.

That's why I always hope for Argentina to do well....they play the beautiful game beautifully. They don't often win it all but they are great to watch nonetheless. It doesn't hurt that my mom was raised in Argentina so I win brownie points with mom (useful when I need to secure babysitting services) by cheering for the albiceleste.

TK88
05-20-2008, 08:20 AM
I was told on saturday during the reserve game by someone very high up at tfc that the teams were from italy and argentina.

Fort York Redcoat
05-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm wondering if these friendlies (unececessary for the team on the pitch) might begin to decline in the quality of teams invited since they seem to sellout anyway. If their is a drop in attendance for any of them I'd think the reaction by the club would be severe. For example, IF they invite a team this year that isn't selling out that entire league from which they play may not be approached for years and thereby alienating an entire group of Canadian fans of that team/league.
I refrain from naming names to avoid the rampant international biases/sensitivities here.

nascarguy
05-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I do not care what team comes I'm not going so I can pay for a road trip with the money from the tickets, last year I made 120$ from one game

Red CB Toronto
05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
I am just looking forward to the friendlies regardless of the team.

James17930
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
These stupid friendlies are gonna be my thing to hate on for the foreseeable future.

ComeonyouReds
05-20-2008, 11:19 AM

4 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS;)

Italy has only one Euro. And it will stay that way. Deutschland uber alles!

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
These stupid friendlies are gonna be my thing to hate on for the foreseeable future.

They might become extraneous if TFC get to the CCL group stage.

NF-FC
05-20-2008, 02:59 PM
i really hate friendlies and i hope they are done away with once we make the champions league. what's the point of playing when the game is pointless?

werewolf
05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Brazil has won 5 World Cups and 8 times champions of South America. I don't need to put that in bold, underlined italics in large font, because national teams were not rumored as being friendly opponents.