PDA

View Full Version : C Rapids give their SGs their own section

Oldtimer
12-03-2009, 03:30 PM
It's good to see one of the older clubs learning from TFC,Seattle, and DC to boost their supporters and get away from the "soccer mom + kids" mentality.

Fan culture gets a boost at Dick's Sporting Goods Park

Today on the NoFanAlone (http://nofanalone.com/?p=1375) website, the Rapids fan groups announced that beginning in 2010 the fan groups will have their own section at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
The Colorado Rapids and the Rapids supporter groups have reached an agreement for the supporters to move from the sliver of real estate they occupied in the northeast corner of Dick's Sporting Goods Park to the north stands.
The north stands at Dick's Sporting Goods Park have a lot of virtues as a place for the fan groups to strut their stuff. The area is served by a singe entrance and is relatively cut off from the rest of the stands without being totally isolated. The move is obviously not a carte blanche invitation to the groups to embarrass the organization and the game. It is a good move to allow a not inconsequential group of people to enjoy the event in a manner that suits them without offending adjacent fans.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4008-Colorado-Rapids-Examiner~y2009m12d2-Fan-culture-gets-a-boost-at-Dicks-Sporting-Goods-Park (http://www.examiner.com/x-4008-Colorado-Rapids-Examiner%7Ey2009m12d2-Fan-culture-gets-a-boost-at-Dicks-Sporting-Goods-Park)

Canary Canuck
12-03-2009, 03:37 PM
It's more like getting them out of the way so they don't bother the soccer moms. Rapids management had a horrible attitude to the supporters in the past for making several sections "unsellable" as they claim. They see this as sweeping a perceived problem under the rug

Oldtimer
12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
The Rapids have made considerable strides in helping the fans create the environment the fan's want. This year the Rapids had arranged for the supporters groups to hold their tail-gates in a lot directly next to the stadium's south entrance. It's not unusual for General Manager Jeff Plush, or Technical Manager Paul Bravo to show up at the tail gate and meet with fans. Mark Bodmer the head of Class VI, has reported that communication between him and the front office has been better than ever.

Sounds like they have had a change of heart.

MartinUtd
12-03-2009, 03:41 PM
The move is obviously not a carte blanche invitation to the groups to embarrass the organization and the game.

I'm getting a kick out of the fact that this was explicitly stated their release

trane
12-03-2009, 03:41 PM
By their own section, do you mean row

Pachuco
12-03-2009, 03:48 PM
they have supporters?

Eastend
12-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Good for them. They have the space so it makes it easier for them then it would be for us.....not that I would move but still.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm getting a kick out of the fact that this was explicitly stated their release

It definitely shows how highly that organisation think of its supporters. Rather than granting supporters their own section, I view this as a way for the club to effectively quarantine its perceived problem.

rocker
12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
By their own section, do you mean row

hehe. the funny thing is the north end in that stadium is just some portable seating units cuz that's where their concert stage is.

TFCRegina
12-03-2009, 05:00 PM
they have supporters?

Have one on my facebook...I think there's a picture of the group...of like 5...

pekduck
12-03-2009, 05:22 PM
good to know Colorado FO is making minor changes...

first step is to recognize the SG

trane
12-03-2009, 10:00 PM
hehe. the funny thing is the north end in that stadium is just some portable seating units cuz that's where their concert stage is.

So a row of fold up chars , and there you go Supporter Section Colorado styles.

Kilgore Trout
12-03-2009, 11:29 PM
I remember seeing a bunch of angry English-looking guys yelling at the ref when we visited them last season.

I was pretty shocked that anyone of that ilk could possibly care about the Crapids.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
its about time, quite surprised that Kroenke made this move