PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Dec.03

denime
12-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Mornin'

The Kick about: Thank Blatter It's Friday (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091202&content_id=7744142&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Toronto FC star embroiled in Honduran political drama (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2009/12/02/toronto-fc-star-caught-up-in-honduran-political-crisis.aspx)

Argos’ BMO Field dream should be turfed (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/alomar-merits-call-from-hall/article1382054/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/):ihih::smilielol5:

FluSH
12-03-2009, 06:50 AM
INteresting read about Guevara... good article.

akoto
12-03-2009, 07:30 AM
When did Guevara play for KC? lol :)

scooter
12-03-2009, 08:07 AM
mornin d

keem-o-sabi
12-03-2009, 08:11 AM
coed girls save the day 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/)

flatpicker
12-03-2009, 08:20 AM
^ mmmmmmm..... thanks!

Chevy
12-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Captain Lou Albano is today's SSG. Now I have seen everything.

tfcleeds
12-03-2009, 08:25 AM
SSG....back to the Loch with you Nessie...:eek:

Alarius
12-03-2009, 08:25 AM
My Firefox shutdown when i opened the Sunshine girl page, no lie..

Redpunkfiddle
12-03-2009, 08:34 AM
INteresting read about Guevara... good article.

It was interesting, but I have rarely seen such poor writing in a major newspaper!

Steve
12-03-2009, 08:43 AM
When did Guevara play for KC? lol :)

I was wondering about that, considering Guevara never played for KC, and Preki never coached for KC... I guess fact checking is just not that important for MLS?

s2cazz
12-03-2009, 08:55 AM
That woke me up...actually I'm afraid to sleep no or the SSG might come get me. What an OGRE!

FluSH
12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
It was interesting, but I have rarely seen such poor writing in a major newspaper!

True... I guess after reading the Sun in London for over a week and seeing topless women on pg 3 has waterdown my writing expectations! lol

Suds
12-03-2009, 10:17 AM
My Firefox shutdown when i opened the Sunshine girl page, no lie..

flush your cache ... I had the same problem a few months back

ManUtd4ever
12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Captain Lou Albano is today's SSG. Now I have seen everything.

LMFAO!!!!!

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/2009/12/03/ssg01.jpg&size=640x480&quality=60

http://www.nndb.com/people/220/000030130/lou-albano-sm.jpg

Redcoe15
12-03-2009, 10:24 AM
^^ :yellow: No one should have their eyes subjected to that hideous excuse of an SSG! :prrr:

Damien
12-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Was the jersey to the president a Honduran or TFC one?

greatwhitenorf
12-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Jeff Blair takes a nice swipe at the Argo owners. The latest among many sports writers becoming cynical about how the CFL are operating, though a frequent exception is the Toronto Star. Chris Zelkovich's article today looks more the work of someone taking dictation - the CFL PR man is an ex-Star reporter - than actually practising journalism.

The article poses the question of "whether BMO Field is suitable for (CFL) football and whether the Argos would be welcome at the soccer stadium." The quick answer to suitablity would be 'not remotely'. The article also tells us that a CFL committee is "rushing to study whether the stadium is viable for football."

The tone suggests that the decision to move to BMO Field is the Argos or the CFL's. You don't really get a lot of comments or analysis from the Star defending the soccer-only aspect of the stadium. They really don't ever spell out what the major logistical hurdles are, what the costs to modify would be, or how damaging that would be to a soccer stadium poised to begin a period of growth and rising profitability. They never explore the darker motives of a panic stricken CFL.

Hardly a shock. Last week, after a weekend of massive derbies - Everton v Livvapewwl, Chelski v ar5ena1 and the Real-Barca clasico - the Star chose to bury those stories and run a high-profile account of the gambling scandals unearthed some time back in eastern Europe and Germany. The picture illustrating the article had nothing to do with gambling, showing a game disrupted by flares on the field.

That story has been swirling around for several weeks and the Star's sensationalized summary of it could have run any other day - or not at all as they didn't add anything new - and let coverage of a big weekend earn it's deserved play.

But no. They chose that Monday to run a shitty piece dumping on the game. They don't like soccer much at One Yonge, do they?

Which is odd, as they love to portray themselves as champions of diversity, yet give such shabby treatment to the one sport this diverse community embraces so strongly.

You see it everywhere, whether it's weekends at BMO Field or weeknights on the sidelines at minor soccer games, the game often serves to create unity and understanding among diverse people, introduced to one another via the sport they and their children love.

Soccer, in all aspects, deserves much, much better treatment from the Toronto Star.

Fort York Redcoat
12-03-2009, 11:02 AM
^Nice swipe at the star norfy!:thumbsup:

Beach_Red
12-03-2009, 11:15 AM
^ But he makes some very good points. Reads like a good letter to the editor, why don't you send it to the Star?

ensco
12-03-2009, 11:58 AM
We need some ongoing threads by media outlet, so that there's some sort of way of having an organized collective memory, good and bad.

I've been meaning to start one about TSN.

TFC07
12-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Jeff Blair takes a nice swipe at the Argo owners. The latest among many sports writers becoming cynical about how the CFL are operating, though a frequent exception is the Toronto Star. Chris Zelkovich's article today looks more the work of someone taking dictation - the CFL PR man is an ex-Star reporter - than actually practising journalism.

The article poses the question of "whether BMO Field is suitable for (CFL) football and whether the Argos would be welcome at the soccer stadium." The quick answer to suitablity would be 'not remotely'. The article also tells us that a CFL committee is "rushing to study whether the stadium is viable for football."

The tone suggests that the decision to move to BMO Field is the Argos or the CFL's. You don't really get a lot of comments or analysis from the Star defending the soccer-only aspect of the stadium. They really don't ever spell out what the major logistical hurdles are, what the costs to modify would be, or how damaging that would be to a soccer stadium poised to begin a period of growth and rising profitability. They never explore the darker motives of a panic stricken CFL.

Hardly a shock. Last week, after a weekend of massive derbies - Everton v Livvapewwl, Chelski v ar5ena1 and the Real-Barca clasico - the Star chose to bury those stories and run a high-profile account of the gambling scandals unearthed some time back in eastern Europe and Germany. The picture illustrating the article had nothing to do with gambling, showing a game disrupted by flares on the field.

That story has been swirling around for several weeks and the Star's sensationalized summary of it could have run any other day - or not at all as they didn't add anything new - and let coverage of a big weekend earn it's deserved play.

But no. They chose that Monday to run a shitty piece dumping on the game. They don't like soccer much at One Yonge, do they?

Which is odd, as they love to portray themselves as champions of diversity, yet give such shabby treatment to the one sport this diverse community embraces so strongly.

You see it everywhere, whether it's weekends at BMO Field or weeknights on the sidelines at minor soccer games, the game often serves to create unity and understanding among diverse people, introduced to one another via the sport they and their children love.

Soccer, in all aspects, deserves much, much better treatment from the Toronto Star.

TheStar is a champion of bashing "diverse community". So I am not suprised to see them hate soccer as well. Seems like most of anti-soccer articles come from theStar and National Post.

C.Ronaldo
12-03-2009, 12:58 PM
^ the yuppi papers

TFC07
12-03-2009, 04:35 PM
^ the yuppi papers

Seriously though, I find it interesting how no is pointing out how the Argos (mostly supported by WASPs) are bullying their way to move to a SSS which hosts soccer games that is usually supported by first generation Canadians, immigrants and minorities. Too bad the Star which supposed to be a voice of multiculturalism that they take so much pride of don't mention this angle at all given that they always mention/provide multicultural angle in their other articles in their paper.

Roogsy
12-03-2009, 05:11 PM
OH DEAR GOD!

What were the Sun SSG editors thinking? Have they no standards??? :eek:

:puke:

CoachGT
12-03-2009, 05:21 PM
^^ :yellow: No one should have their eyes subjected to that hideous excuse of an SSG! :prrr:

Good grief - I think I've been blinded, scarred for life!:eek:

jloome
12-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Don't get the revulsion. I think she's cute in an overly posed, slightly chubby kinda way. But I like most Asian women, so there ya go.