PDA

View Full Version : Charleston battery will now play in USL2

deltox
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
http://usl1.uslsoccer.com/home/385126.html

Charleston returns to USL-2
Monday, November 30, 2009

CHARLESTON, SC -- The Charleston Battery announced that the club is returning to the USL Second Division, the league in which the club won its first USL championship in 1996.

In the move to USL-2, the Battery will face many local rivals built over the years, including the Richmond Kickers, Charlotte Eagles and Pittsburgh Riverhounds. They will also be forging new ones against clubs like the Harrisburg City Islanders and Real Maryland Monarchs.

Fort York Redcoat
12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Wow. Now no one will REALLY want to lose to them in the Charleston cup!

Parkdale
12-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Gooooooooo Charleston!

My favorite USL (I or II) team

pekduck
12-02-2009, 12:22 PM
so who's taking its spot in the new NASL?

Oldtimer
12-02-2009, 12:41 PM

They were never part of the owners group.

pekduck
12-02-2009, 01:14 PM

They were never part of the owners group.

brain fart.. i was thinking about MN Thunder.. lol

continue :)

Mikey in SC
12-02-2009, 02:15 PM
You knowthe more this TOA/USL/NASL debacel goes on the happier I am about the drop. Travel is a huge cost, I was told they paid nearly $30,000 just for one play off game to Montreal. It was one of the factors in dropping down but I think the main one would be they wanted some stability. In joining USLd2 we are going slightly smaller league, but have old rivalries in Charlotte and Richmond (arguibly our biggest rivials over the years)

It also allows our ownership to maintain some class and not get caught up in the war of worlds comign out of most the camps caught up in this mess.

Finally they can get on with the 2010 season, setting up schedule, sponorships, getting a team together. the purposed new league still hasnt been sanctioned and their might be some legal reasons that will delay a league that wants to start in 4 months.

anyways most fans here in charleston wont really know the difference. We still have the same great stadium, same US Open cup matches and locals will remember the Richmond and Charlotte names from the past.

And we will still have the Carolina Challenge Cup in March (see you all then! ;) )

For me, I can still hang at the Madra Rua and Three Lions pubs and be surrounded by knowledgeable fans and watch high level matches. Im going to support the Battery regardless what league they play in.

:drinking:

sulfur
12-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Amusingly, we actually have a Battery thread in the international section. It falls by the wayside quite often though. :)

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17412

Parkdale
12-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi Mikey!

:seeya:

pekduck
12-02-2009, 02:22 PM
You knowthe more this TOA/USL/NASL debacel goes on the happier I am about the drop. Travel is a huge cost, I was told they paid nearly $30,000 just for one play off game to Montreal. It was one of the factors in dropping down but I think the main one would be they wanted some stability. In joining USLd2 we are going slightly smaller league, but have old rivalries in Charlotte and Richmond (arguibly our biggest rivials over the years)

It also allows our ownership to maintain some class and not get caught up in the war of worlds comign out of most the camps caught up in this mess.

Finally they can get on with the 2010 season, setting up schedule, sponorships, getting a team together. the purposed new league still hasnt been sanctioned and their might be some legal reasons that will delay a league that wants to start in 4 months.

anyways most fans here in charleston wont really know the difference. We still have the same great stadium, same US Open cup matches and locals will remember the Richmond and Charlotte names from the past.

And we will still have the Carolina Challenge Cup in March (see you all then! ;) )

For me, I can still hang at the Madra Rua and Three Lions pubs and be surrounded by knowledgeable fans and watch high level matches. Im going to support the Battery regardless what league they play in.

hi mikey :canada:

yes, we'll be there again, it's time for me to pick up a battery jersey

Mikey in SC
12-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi Mikey!

:seeya:

Hey, Parky and the rest, been lurking lately, wondering when you were going to get your travel plans to Charleston started....

Anyone up for a Happy Hooligan's "Holy City Tour" Part 2? Still have the scarf design I couldn't get made last year due to time restraint. Might be able to get it done this year...

Parkdale
12-02-2009, 02:43 PM
we have been planning a bit lately, but it's in the Travel section which is members-only.
It's just because all the roadtrips and things are in there too, and we've had issues with
some outside snoopers causing us grief (not other team's supporters, but nosy travel agents).

sulfur
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Anyone up for a Happy Hooligan's "Holy City Tour" Part 2? Still have the scarf design I couldn't get made last year due to time restraint. Might be able to get it done this year...
Hell, I want one from last year still! :)

jloome
12-02-2009, 03:13 PM

*Shock* ! *Awe* !

A U.S. fan who won't desert his team if it goes down a division. Judging by what the "expert" fans on some of the blogs think, this should be impossible. Why, it's actually like you care about the club or something (please note dripping sarcasm.)

sulfur
12-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Actually, what you don't know is that Mikey is the team. :D

LittleOzzy
12-02-2009, 03:21 PM
So USL-1 will be left with 5 teams? 4 after Portland moves up to MLS.

Do they have any plans for expansion or to bring teams up from USL-2?

Mikey in SC
12-02-2009, 03:36 PM

There is the million dollar question, I think USL division1 as it currnetly is known, Is dead. right now USL d1 consist of Portland, Austin, Puerto Rico and Cleveland. Also there was an announcment that their would be a team in NY next year, but no one has any faith that they will even feild a team.

If the NASL gets it sanctioning, I could see PR and Portland join up. Cleveland looks like they are going to drop down to USLD2. Leaving Austin the odd man out. Too far from the Atlantic coast footprint for USLD2 and looks like NASL doesnt want them in the league (at least according to rumors)

USL should try to get a few of the PDL teams in the mdiwest to move up to D2 (some rumored to want to make the jump in the future before this whole mess) and form a Midwestern USLd2 division. Add a new team in San Antonio and you'd have anther 7 or 8 solid teams.

Teams like Des Moinse draw about 3000-4000 as a Division 4 team.

things are screw and its a shame its come donw to legal action and a PR war between USL and the TOA. cant be good for soccer development or a soccer fan.

Mikey in SC
12-02-2009, 04:19 PM
we have been planning a bit lately, but it's in the Travel section which is members-only.
It's just because all the roadtrips and things are in there too, and we've had issues with
some outside snoopers causing us grief (not other team's supporters, but nosy travel agents).

What kind of numbers are you looking at this year?

if you need any help from this end, send them my way. Or over to our boards at www.usldiscussions.com (http://www.usldiscussions.com), Pat and Kevin are there quite a bit.

Glad to help out and see you in March

Detroit_TFC
12-02-2009, 08:21 PM

Even worse now. It is reported on teh internez that Cleveland City Stars has folded. They were up for sale and there was hope that a buyer stepped forward in the last few days. It must have fallen through. This is getting pretty bad for USL1. Hard to see any route for USL other than merging USL1 and 2.

Edit: Inside Minnesota Soccer reports that USL terminated their franchise.
http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2009/12/02/cleveland-city-stars-release-players-from-contracts/#more-12363
WTF?

Keystone FC
12-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Even worse now. It is reported on teh internez that Cleveland City Stars has folded. They were up for sale and there was hope that a buyer stepped forward in the last few days. It must have fallen through. This is getting pretty bad for USL1. Hard to see any route for USL other than merging USL1 and 2.

Edit: Inside Minnesota Soccer reports that USL terminated their franchise.
http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2009/12/02/cleveland-city-stars-release-players-from-contracts/#more-12363
WTF?

Some CCS supporters have said that there is a possibility that there may be a new ownership group come in and put another pro club in Cleveland in the place of the Stars.
The Stars released the players from their contracts (just like the Mn Thunder did). The Stars had something like $450,000 in debt and this way with the desolving of the club a new ownership can come in and not take on the debt that the Stars had.
I still think the Stars have fallen but right now no one knows what the hell is going on with the USL or NASL.
Once the USSF and CSA determine if the NASL can have Div II status (USL 1 is Div II as well) then well see what happens.
The thing I worried about is that as we get closer to March then the time table for marketing and sponsorship grows tighter.
If this NASL is going to fly then there needs to be a decision SOON by the USSF so that players aren't left hanging.

One thing that has crossed my mind is if the USSF DOESN'T give the NASL the Div II status....what then?

Redcoe15
12-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Some CCS supporters have said that there is a possibility that there may be a new ownership group come in and put another pro club in Cleveland in the place of the Stars.
The Stars released the players from their contracts (just like the Mn Thunder did). The Stars had something like $450,000 in debt and this way with the desolving of the club a new ownership can come in and not take on the debt that the Stars had.
I still think the Stars have fallen but right now no one knows what the hell is going on with the USL or NASL.
Once the USSF and CSA determine if the NASL can have Div II status (USL 1 is Div II as well) then well see what happens.
The thing I worried about is that as we get closer to March then the time table for marketing and sponsorship grows tighter.
If this NASL is going to fly then there needs to be a decision SOON by the USSF so that players aren't left hanging.

One thing that has crossed my mind is if the USSF DOESN'T give the NASL the Div II status....what then?
With the number of teams abandoning the USL-1 ship, and the new NASL growing, does the USSF have much of a choice?

Mikey in SC
12-03-2009, 11:40 PM
With the number of teams abandoning the USL-1 ship, and the new NASL growing, does the USSF have much of a choice?

Two of the ten dont exist

Three are in legal action with USL for allegilly breaking contracts

one is bankrupt and owes up to $1,000,000 to just about anyone involved in soccer in the area

one had an attendence that was close to 100 people per match

two are leaving for MLS and another is supposed to go in 2012 (rumored)

Also is some behind the scenes stuff, like there are some pro USL members on the USSF governing board, politics and who knows what else.

every day that the NASL isnt sactioned seems to bring more doubt that they will

Keystone FC
12-04-2009, 05:38 AM
Two of the ten dont exist
On paper they do.

Three are in legal action with USL for allegilly breaking contracts
But will they actually take them to court?

one is bankrupt and owes up to $1,000,000 to just about anyone involved in soccer in the area
If it's Minnesota you're talking about I think they found a loophole.

two are leaving for MLS and another is supposed to go in 2012 (rumored)
Ah, but Vancouver is putting a club in Edmonton when they leave and Montreal would do the same but somewhere in Quebec. I don't know about Portland.

Also is some behind the scenes stuff, like there are some pro USL members on the USSF governing board, politics and who knows what else.

every day that the NASL isnt sactioned seems to bring more doubt that they will
This is true but with the number of teams that have left for the NASL and the ones that are left in the pro USL (not to mention the Hogges look to become a PDL club, Cleveland and Wilmington folding) the USSF is in a position that if they don't give the NASL a Div II status there may be chaos within the soccer community.
Not to mention the possibility of:
1. Having both the USL Pro (whatever they call themselves now) and NASL at Div II status
2. USSF says yeah and the CSA says nay
3. CSA says yeah and the USSF says nay

The possibilites are almost endless.
We'll just have to wait and see....which I hate.

Mikey in SC
12-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Dont get me wrong, I find quite a bit I dont like about the way USL is set up. I find quite alot of unanwsered question about NASL as well
On paper they do.

So does FCNY for a counter point. A couple pretty knowledgable said they doubt ATL gets up and running by 2010 and they have a stadium. their owners past action have left a bad taste in alot of peoples mouths locally

But will they actually take them to court?

the lawers are circling, I dont know if it will ever end up in a court per say, but the legal uncertainties will be enough to put a doubt in the USSF mind when it comes to sanctioning

If it's Minnesota you're talking about I think they found a loophole.
thats news to me, if your going by Wellmans comments that "everything is taken care of" check out insidemnsoccer.com comments about how some of the peopel that are owed money find that very insulting, as no one has readched out to them.

Ah, but Vancouver is putting a club in Edmonton when they leave and Montreal would do the same but somewhere in Quebec. I don't know about Portland.

And USL plans to expand to Ottawa and to Detroit. will see if either really happen. I have more faith in Vancouvers plans than any of the others though.

This is true but with the number of teams that have left for the NASL and the ones that are left in the pro USL (not to mention the Hogges look to become a PDL club, Cleveland and Wilmington folding) the USSF is in a position that if they don't give the NASL a Div II status there may be chaos within the soccer community.
Not to mention the possibility of:
1. Having both the USL Pro (whatever they call themselves now) and NASL at Div II status
2. USSF says yeah and the CSA says nay
3. CSA says yeah and the USSF says nay

The possibilites are almost endless.
We'll just have to wait and see....which I hate.

USL1 still has D2 status. Granted it is only a name right now with four teams (as of this very second, this mess has been more unperdictible than riding a rollercoaster blindfolded). It will take a special session to take it away , separate from the NASL mess. Even if they do, the USSF doesnt have to have a Divsion 2 league. without promotion and relegation it really is just a way of seeding for the USOC.

Like you said the posiblities are endless. Im sure both sides are giving USSF (and the CSF) the old party lines. It just a shame egos on either side couldnt sit down and work it out. Im just glad the Battery are in a bit more stable footing than any of the other teams involved.

Keystone FC
12-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Dont get me wrong, I find quite a bit I dont like about the way USL is set up. I find quite alot of unanwsered question about NASL as well
I completely agree with you on this. Until the NASL has their first match and the clubs supporters are being harrassed by the stadium security NOTHING is set and the USL is still king of the Div. II status...like it or not.

So does FCNY for a counter point. A couple pretty knowledgable said they doubt ATL gets up and running by 2010 and they have a stadium. their owners past action have left a bad taste in alot of peoples mouths locally
I've heard this as well (the 2010 thing). They are more likely for 2011.

the lawers are circling, I dont know if it will ever end up in a court per say, but the legal uncertainties will be enough to put a doubt in the USSF mind when it comes to sanctioning
I just hope it doesn't come to that for the sake of soccer.

thats news to me, if your going by Wellmans comments that "everything is taken care of" check out insidemnsoccer.com comments about how some of the peopel that are owed money find that very insulting, as no one has readched out to them.
From what I've heard both Minnesota and Cleveland released their players from their contracts and disolved the franchises in order for new owners to come in with a 'new' club to take the place of the old one and sign the players back with new contracts but without the debt of the former franchise. It's a sneaky way to get basically the same club but without the debt of the old one. If new owners came in and took over the old clubs then they would assume the debt of said club. This way there is 'no club' as they are starting new...sort of.

And USL plans to expand to Ottawa and to Detroit. will see if either really happen. I have more faith in Vancouvers plans than any of the others though.
Ottawa is looking into the NASL and I wouldn't doubt Detroit (right now Michigan Bucks) is looking at the situation very carefully. I could see the NASL jumping on Silverdome owners to put a franchise in that sucker.

USL1 still has D2 status. Granted it is only a name right now with four teams (as of this very second, this mess has been more unperdictible than riding a rollercoaster blindfolded). It will take a special session to take it away , separate from the NASL mess. Even if they do, the USSF doesnt have to have a Divsion 2 league. without promotion and relegation it really is just a way of seeding for the USOC.

Like you said the posiblities are endless. Im sure both sides are giving USSF (and the CSF) the old party lines. It just a shame egos on either side couldnt sit down and work it out. Im just glad the Battery are in a bit more stable footing than any of the other teams involved.
We'll just have to wait and see.......:(