PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday, Nov.24

denime
11-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Mornin'

Preki success could make Johnston look good (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/preki-success-could-make-johnston-look-good/article1375164/)

TFC's stalwarts being exposed in MLS draft (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/11/24/11900761-sun.html)

Unprotected in net (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/11/23/johnston_mls_cup_tfc/)

Gerba unprotected (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/gerba-unprotected/article1375050/)

2009 Expansion Draft Update (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091123&content_id=7707810&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

NASL rises again (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/nasl-rises-again/article1374950/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/):yum::)

Hustle
11-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Mornin D

flatpicker
11-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Welcome back NASL.
I'm curious to see where this goes; with VAN and MONT leaving soon, the league will need to expand.
Will there eventually be some sort of partnership with MLS?
Or perhaps it will create a new system and re-partner with the other USL teams.

SSG isn't quite doin' it for me, though I can see how she would appeal to certain tastes.

Mark in Ottawa
11-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the info D.
O... and Goodbye Brian Edwards... Sorry to see ya go :(
(Philly would have to be on crack not to select him but maybe "trader Mo" has a deal already worked out... time will tell)

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Great marketing move to call it the NASL, I have to say.

Shway
11-24-2009, 08:03 AM
thanks for the daily news,
my man D
and im gone

Fort York Redcoat
11-24-2009, 08:04 AM
NASL not the best idea. This isn't part of the US soccer pyramid and not a partner with MLS. It has an uphill battle.

Broadview
11-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Gotta say I'm really enjoying Paul James' column. Glad he's on the TFC beat, hope he sticks around and doesn't get a real soccer job ;)

ensco
11-24-2009, 08:17 AM
NASL not the best idea. This isn't part of the US soccer pyramid and not a partner with MLS. It has an uproad battle.

I disagree. There is major brand equity there.

It's a better brand than MLS. Type "mls" into google and 90%+ of the hits you get relate to real estate. Had the internet been better established in 1996, there is no way they would choose "MLS". I bet they'd like to do it over.

koryo
11-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Brennan protected. Typical.

Oldtimer
11-24-2009, 09:11 AM
I disagree. There is major brand equity there.

It's a better brand than MLS. Type "mls" into google and 90%+ of the hits you get relate to real estate. Had the internet been better established in 1996, there is no way they would choose "MLS". I bet they'd like to do it over.

Calling the new league the NASL will be somewhat of a joke, at least for us old-timers. There is no way you can compare the glamour of Pele and Beckenbauer to the best USL squad.

Roogsy
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
The NASL huh? I think it's a great idea and it immediately supplants the credibility of the "new" USL.

Calling the new league the NASL will be somewhat of a joke, at least for us old-timers. There is no way you can compare the glamour of Pele and Beckenbauer to the best USL squad.

I don't think they are trying to reach for the glamour of the old NASL. What they are doing is trying to create brand recognition as fast as possible and this does it very well.

ensco
11-24-2009, 09:49 AM

I am one of those Oldtimers, Oldtimer!

Yes, they had Pele and Cruyff in the league. But I probably went to 20 NASL games as a kid, and most of them were against teams like the Tulsa Drillers and Minnesota Kicks. So for me, this fits just fine.

My real point is that MLS is a terrible name for the league, and needs fixing.

JonO
11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Brennan protected. Typical.
I'd be curious to know if he has a no trade clause in his contract. That would explain it...

TFCtoMUFC
11-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Brennan needs to go. Unless Mo has a trick up his sleeve, trading Vitti so that they dont take Fellinga or Edwards.

TorCanSoc
11-24-2009, 10:07 AM
I am one of those Oldtimers, Oldtimer!

Yes, they had Pele and Cruyff in the league. But I probably went to 20 NASL games as a kid, and most of them were against teams like the Tulsa Drillers and Minnesota Kicks. So for me, this fits just fine.

My real point is that MLS is a terrible name for the league, and needs fixing.

I'm an old timer too. The only thing I remember is going to the annual Blizzard game with Dixie Soccer Club.. mid to late 70s. I couldn't name one player, I forgot who played, and can't remember what the opposing uniforms look liked. But I remembered Pele playing, and that was huge.

As an old timer I like it. I hope they use that original ball, I had one of those. Those were awesome.

Roogsy
11-24-2009, 10:34 AM
As an old timer I like it. I hope they use that original ball, I had one of those. Those were awesome.

Oooooh...I'd pick one up!

keem-o-sabi
11-24-2009, 10:36 AM
NASL not the best idea. This isn't part of the US soccer pyramid and not a partner with MLS. It has an uphill battle.

The US doesn't really have a pyramid as rigid and silly as the CSA/OSA.

The USL shot themselves in the foot over and over again, I can say that this new league is working more hand in hand with the MLS, assisting in identifying better markets to go into and possibly moving them up from the amateur ranks to the professional minor leagues then maybe onto MLS.

The USL wanted to be another option in the US and never wanted to admit they were a minor league. They always have had aspirations to become the Div 1 league in the US. They made a major error in judgement by not allowing the teams to own more of the league, so you're going to see the 3 leagues that have team ownership in that league all working together. That's all I can say for now, but it looks that way from my discussions with the group I work for in the states and the NASL folks.

tfcleeds
11-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Just curious where the Baltimore and Tampa Bay franchises came from - they weren't initially going to be part of the league, were they?

spark
11-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Will protecting Chad Barrett in the expansion draft pay off? (http://www.rednationonline.ca/A_Bold_Prediction_nov_24_09_column.shtml)

scooter
11-24-2009, 11:36 AM
mornin d

Redcoe15
11-24-2009, 11:43 AM
This new NASL has some attractive markets. No Rochesters or Charlestons there. Might have a chance at succeeding. Maybe GolTV Canada caan pick up the rights to their games.

SSG isn't quite doin' it for me, though I can see how she would appeal to certain tastes.
:out:

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2009, 11:55 AM
TFC should put a reserve team in this new NASL....get some players who would normally be sitting on the bench some playing time...Brian Edwards would be one
to benefit from this..although MLS and NASL would have to be in agreement on this.

Broadview
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Anyone know what time the draft is today?

Nuvinho
11-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Anyone know what time the draft is today?

Its tomorrow.

DOMIN8R
11-24-2009, 12:15 PM
^^^^ 1 pm (Wednesday)

Technorgasm
11-24-2009, 01:15 PM
draft tomorrow yes?

lets see what happens. but losing Frei will be very detrimental to the cause.

Need to keep Carl at all costs. . . .holding mids are not easy to come by in NA

Shway
11-24-2009, 01:16 PM
^^^cant loose the swiss frei, hes a ga

DOMIN8R
11-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Spurs director to leave for Whitecaps

Tottenham executive director Paul Barber is set to leave the club next year to become chief executive at new MLS franchise Vancouver Whitecaps.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1784_5716400,00.html

Roogsy
11-24-2009, 01:53 PM
:eek:

tovan
11-24-2009, 02:12 PM

Confirmed: http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature11240902.aspx

TorCanSoc
11-24-2009, 02:26 PM
WOW!!!
never heard of him.

DOMIN8R
11-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Not yet confirmed.....

After two seasons at the helm, Denis Hamlett is out as Fire Head Coach. Hamlett, who took the Fire to two conference finals in his two year run as head coach, was told by Fire staff this afternoon that his expired contract would not be renewed this offseason. He will leave the club, effective immediately.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-fire-confidential/2009/11/denis-hamlett-out-as-fire-head-coach.html

DOMIN8R
11-24-2009, 04:54 PM
^^^^ Confirmed
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4686607

keem-o-sabi
11-24-2009, 05:49 PM
One of my favorite MLS players retired today :( Ben Olsen. The man was a machine and unfortunately for him both of his ankles were destroyed when he went on loan to Forrest across the pond.

Wore his heart on his sleeve and just played his ass off every game.

Great ambassador of MLS.

CretanBull
11-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Olsen was a good player, I liked watching him...although it came earlier than it could have been, I hope he enjoys his retirement.

CretanBull
11-24-2009, 06:29 PM
:eek:

Old execs come here to retire too :D

boban
11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm an old timer too. The only thing I remember is going to the annual Blizzard game with Dixie Soccer Club.. mid to late 70s. I couldn't name one player, I forgot who played, and can't remember what the opposing uniforms look liked. But I remembered Pele playing, and that was huge.

Pele was gone by the time you were cheering for the Blizzard.

tovan
11-24-2009, 08:04 PM

he's 42 years old... hardly close to retiring I would say. Hiring this guy will only help to strengthen the Whitecaps as an organization and give them and the league more credibility.

Beach_Red
11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
he's 42 years old... hardly close to retiring I would say. Hiring this guy will only help to strengthen the Whitecaps as an organization and give them and the league more credibility.

Yes, that's true. On the Whitecaps site they say, "Barber is responsible for all of Tottenham's key operational divisions, including commercial areas, ticketing and hospitality, international tours and friendly matches, and the club's soccer development area, which includes domestic and international coaching programs and soccer camps." They don't say exactly what his duties will be in Vancouver, but this looks like a good move.

Roogsy
11-24-2009, 09:31 PM

LOL!

Roogsy
11-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Wow...here's a tip. Try to figure out when someone is being sarcastic and the intertubes will be a heckofalot more fun!

CretanBull
11-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow...here's a tip. Try to figure out when someone is being sarcastic and the intertubes will be a heckofalot more fun!

:thumbsup:

Mark in Ottawa
11-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Yes, that's true. On the Whitecaps site they say, "Barber is responsible for all of Tottenham's key operational divisions, including commercial areas, ticketing and hospitality, international tours and friendly matches, and the club's soccer development area, which includes domestic and international coaching programs and soccer camps." They don't say exactly what his duties will be in Vancouver, but this looks like a good move.
So this means that Vancouver could continue to have a "Working Relationship" with the Spurs?

There are a few MLS clubs doing that sort of thing with foreign clubs... right?

CoachGT
11-25-2009, 08:08 AM
I doubt it (Spurs continuing with Vancouver). Spurs have a signed agreement with San Jose in MLS

TOBOR !
11-25-2009, 11:02 AM
...Yes, they had Pele and Cruyff in the league. But I probably went to 20 NASL games as a kid, and most of them were against teams like the Tulsa Drillers and Minnesota Kicks....

Tulsa Roughnecks
Edmonton Drillers

/pedantry

Cashcleaner
11-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Very big news, in my opinion. Vancouver is very quickly getting its collective shit together for MLS.

Roogsy
11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Very big news, in my opinion. Vancouver is very quickly getting its collective shit together for MLS.

Yup. TFC better be working it's ass off to get things straightened up or even the most ardent of apologists will begin to turn on them if Vancouver starts having more success than we do.

Beach_Red
11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Yup. TFC better be working it's ass off to get things straightened up or even the most ardent of apologists will begin to turn on them if Vancouver starts having more success than we do.

Naw, MLSE gets a free ride - we blame everything on Mo.

TorCanSoc
11-25-2009, 03:12 PM

One hell of a booty. But nothing else.

TorCanSoc
11-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Pele was gone by the time you were cheering for the Blizzard.

Yeah. I knew he was around. Like I said I don't remember much, I was a kid.

boban
11-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah. I knew he was around. Like I said I don't remember much, I was a kid.
So was I. But I do remember cheering for Metros-Croatia :)
Perhaps that is who you are thinking of?

TFC07
11-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I believe Steve Nash is a HUGE spurs fan. So I am not surprised if Nash was behind this hiring. It's nice to see Vancouver is taking this seriously. Their FO is probably better than TFC's FO already. :(

They actually got soccer people with experience (both on-field and off-field) running their club unlike TFC.

boban
11-25-2009, 06:05 PM
I believe Steve Nash is a HUGE spurs fan. So I am not surprised if Nash was behind this hiring. It's nice to see Vancouver is taking this seriously. Their FO is probably better than TFC's FO already. :(

They actually got soccer people with experience (both on-field and off-field) running their club unlike TFC.
Their OWNERSHIP is better.

EVERYTHING starts from that top.