PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Johnston-(Great!) expectations !!

denime
06-12-2008, 06:08 AM
(Great!) expectations

It took one phrase from Canadian men's national team coach Dale Mitchell to understand just how far soccer has come in our country.

"We all understand the expectations this year," Mitchell said Wednesday during a conference call. "All players and staff are focused on 2010."

Until now, discussing Canadian soccer in the context of World Cup qualifying attracted words like 'perhaps', 'hopefully' or 'how cute'. But now, arguably for the first time since 1986, there is nothing cute about the fact that expectations surrounding 2010 exist.

But in a cordially Canadian way, Mitchell was quick to ride the brakes for a spell.

"We also understand the process," Mitchell said. "We can't look past the series. Two games; you got to get it right or your done."

Look past a series? Never! Can it be?

The last half-decade of Canadian men's soccer has been filled with conference calls set up to encourage the media that we can beat the upcoming, let alone the team which lay beyond.

But the reality of fielding one of the more talented squads CONCACAF has to offer means that Mitchell must remind the 19 players selected to participate in a two-game set with St. Vincent and the Grenadines that the clichés matter; and looking ahead to the next stage in the fall is a mistake.

READ MORE (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/06/12/johnston_great_expectations/)

flatpicker
06-12-2008, 06:13 AM
oh please oh please oh please 2010!!!!

The Kingpin
06-12-2008, 06:26 AM
I would be in SA.... Guaranteed! Imagine if we had the other De Guzman. We would have the best midfield in CONCACAF...

Steve
06-12-2008, 07:22 AM
"Two games; you got to get it right or your done.""

Seriously? I mean, I kind of understand it when people do it on a forum (though it still annoys me) but a professional? It's you're you silly git, YOU ARE DONE, done does not in some way belong to you. Sorry, I can't stand people misusing contractions.

ExiledRed
06-12-2008, 08:41 AM
^^Yeah, my wife used them as an excuse for more drugs.

Badum----ching!

Shaughno
06-12-2008, 08:43 AM
"Two games; you got to get it right or your done.""

Seriously? I mean, I kind of understand it when people do it on a forum (though it still annoys me) but a professional? It's you're you silly git, YOU ARE DONE, done does not in some way belong to you. Sorry, I can't stand people misusing contractions.

Definitely gets under my skin as well. Almost as much as the usage of irregardless. :taz:

woolly
06-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Oh god, irregardless is the bane of my existance...

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Oh god, irregardless is the bane of my existance...

Definately ;)

Lucky Strike
06-12-2008, 12:31 PM
"Irregardless" goes hand in hand with "all of the sudden".

TFC07
06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Isn't Ihemelu capped by USA already?

Toronto Ruffrider
06-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Isn't Ihemelu capped by USA already?

Without a doubt, Ihemelu definitely is sort of capped by the US. I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong when he plays against St. Vincent.;)

jloome
06-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Definately ;)

or even "definitely."

My personal favourite is "speak to," which started around 1990. Why wasn't "address" good enough?