PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft - Confirmed Protection Lists - Published?

Pages : [1] 2

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
This isn't a thread for speculating who will be on our protected list, it's to:

1. ask if anyone knows whether the official protection lists of ALL franchises are published;

2. copy them in here for discussion if so; and

3. see what people think about our official list and those of others and how the draft might go down based on those official lists.

So - anyone know if these are published? Deadline for submission is 3pm today according to the press.

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 02:08 PM
normally published by Ives and Goff after 3pm.

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Cool - thanks Nuvinho. I saw an interview with Mo on Soccer Central at the weekend where he said that the fans would be quite surprised by a couple of Preki's moves in terms of players in and out, so I am very interested to see our confirmed protected list.

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Cool - thanks Nuvinho. I saw an interview with Mo on Soccer Central at the weekend where he said that the fans would be quite surprised by a couple of Preki's moves in terms of players in and out, so I am very interested to see our confirmed protected list.

He better not be getting rid of Nana.

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 03:35 PM
from news around the league - Zakauni graduated from GA, that probably means that Frei did the same as well??

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 03:36 PM
SoccerInsider (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider)

#dcu (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23dcu) news: Gomez green card (no longer intl status), Wallace graduates from Gen Adidas, which means club must protect him in expansion draft

prizby
11-23-2009, 03:36 PM
frei is on travels with GA, don't think so

prizby
11-23-2009, 03:53 PM
http://wvhooligan.com/2009/11/20/expansion-draft-list-toronto-fc-2/

interesting blog

ArmenJBX
11-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Who's JDG being looked at by prizby?

prizby
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM

not sure, i read that on another soccer website, briefly, i was only skimming though

DOMIN8R
11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I haven't found one leak yet or report - for any franchise. Anyone else?

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 04:35 PM
^nope....me neither

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
nope, it's annoying me now. the list is done, and it has to be released for Philly to know who they can choose from. so just spill it now. this impacts on every single franchise and set of fans in the league. someone should be leaking it asap...

DOMIN8R
11-23-2009, 04:40 PM

not sure, i read that on another soccer website, briefly, i was only skimming though

Designated player Julian de Guzman didn't have to be protected, but will be. There was apparent interest from at least one another team in the DP, and Johnston obviously didn't want to risk losing the first DP in franchise history. So a better safe than sorry approach will be taken. De Guzman will be among the list of 11.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/11/23/11877861-sun.html

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 04:42 PM
^ is there any team that wouldn't show some kind of interest in JDG if he could be taken onto their roster somehow?!

DOMIN8R
11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
It hasn't been made public. So I have just been told. But it will be made public later today. Whatever that means.

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 04:53 PM
I guess they want to double check all the lists and ensure all the relevnt criteria have been met before they release the lists, so if any team has to make a change in order to comply with the rules, then the change gets made before the lists are released.

Making a list, checking it twice, MLS Claus must be coming to town (and by town I mean Philadelphia).

Sullivan
11-23-2009, 05:20 PM
What's arrived in my inbox is limited. Although a couple of the MLS/NCAA scouts have given me bits and pieces.

I've been told that Beltran, Frei, Gonzalez, Hall, Nyarko, Wallace and Zakuani have each been deemed to have graduated the Gen A program by the fine folks at MLS HQ. Rationale remains a deeply guarded secret. As such, each would have to be protected by their respective teams.

Scaryice out of Chicago has the same list but adds Alston and Zaynor as also been graduated as well. He tends to have solid sources so I'll push this list out as a start, 4 separate sources. His rationale is based on minutes played and starts earned - or some kind of blended formula of those 2 stats.

As far as team lists, I'm SOL right now. Everyone's still travelling home from Seattle.

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 05:33 PM
^ thanks dude. that makes a big difference as Frei has got to be protected.

Wow - we could have a string of first teamers left open this year, all of Brennan, Serioux, Robbo, Guevara, Vitti (is he even available for selection?), Gerba and Barrett could find themselves unprotected.

Either that or young (inexpensive) talent like Edwards, Gomez, Sanyang, White etc will be open.

Man I hate the expansion draft.

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Real Salt Lake:
Javier Morales, Jamison Olave, Fabian Espindola, Chris Seitz, Nick Rimando, Robbie Findley, Kyle Beckerman, Nat Borchers, Will Johnson, Chris Wingert and Tony Beltran, according to Deseret News.
Robbie Russell, Ned Grabavoy, Pablo Campos, Andy Williams, Clint Mathis left unprotected. (source ASN (http://rsl.american-soccer-news.com/?p=687))

TFC HSV
11-23-2009, 05:34 PM
i know mlsr isnt the most reliable but they had RSL's list up a few minutes ago.

scut farkus
11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
On MLSr (http://www.mls-rumors.net/4679/2009/11/report-the-protected-lists/):
Attakora-Gyan, Nana, Barrett, Chad, Brennan, Jim, Cronin, Sam, de Guzman, Julian, DeRosario, Dwayne, Gomez, Emmanuel, Sanyang, Amadou, Serioux, Adrian, White, O’Brian, Wynne, Marvell

scut farkus
11-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Confirmed by Ives: http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/11/mls-expansion-draft-protected-lists-unveiled.html

Also says Frei has graduated.

TFCtoMUFC
11-23-2009, 06:49 PM

HE BETTER NOT MOVE NANA OR CRONIN!

MG42
11-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Should have left Brennan and Barrett unprotected IMO

joshpa
11-23-2009, 06:52 PM
barret and brennan... really????

tfc2007
11-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Barret. Are you kidding me. Why is he protected?

CretanBull
11-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Barret protected and Frei left exposed...

akoto
Frei should have been a no brainer over Barrett! WTF Mo! If we lose him to Philly is Edwards going step in? Come on Mo! That is way to risky!

jloome
Has Philly already signed a starting goalie, because if not, we just lost Stefan Frei.

Hell, we might have lost him anyway, given his trade value.

Is this a colossal fuck up, or what? Got to be more to the story. Maybe he's already on the way to Europe?

jloome
11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Mods, figure this deserves a new thread, as it seems absolutely insane, given what he's being paid.

ArmenJBX
11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Frei's exposed!? What the FUCK

jloome
11-23-2009, 07:02 PM
This may be why: " Something else to consider is that Philadelphia is also very likely to have deals in place with certain teams where the sides have reached an agreement on who the Union will select from their rosters. One situation where that appears evident is with Toronto FC, which has left both Amado Guevara and Stefan Frei available."

From Ives' blog

ArmenJBX
If Frei is being exposed, they must have struck a deal with Philly. Toronto probably saw the unprotected list and may have negotiated a deal for him.

"We'll leave Frei if you choose so and so from Team A, and then send him our way."

jloome
Started a new thread on Frei, as this may go for days.

bangersandmash
Isn't Frei "Generation Adidas?" I thought they didn't need to be protected.

jloome
11-23-2009, 07:03 PM
The obvious deal would be "we'll leave Amado Guevara unprotected if you leave Frei alone."

Kind of makes the whole draft a bit dodgy, though.

H Bomb
So maybe Phili agreed to take Edwards? Still doesnt quite add up.

jloome
Isn't Frei "Generation Adidas?" I thought they didn't need to be protected.

No, both he and Fuad have graduated off of it.

CretanBull
11-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Has Philly already signed a starting goalie, because if not, we just lost Stefan Frei.

Philly haven't signed anyone yet, but even with a starting GK they'd pick Frei for his trade value. The article speculates that TFC and the Union have a deal in place regarding who Philly picks from us, but if we submitted the right protection list a deal wouldn't have to be made...Philly are picking 10 players from 15 teams, if we left our high value contracts exposed we'd be one of the 5 teams who didn't lose a player.

tfc2007
11-23-2009, 07:04 PM
How many awards did chad win this year???
And how many did frei win.
Point proven.
Get rid of mo and let Perki do it all.

ArmenJBX
11-23-2009, 07:05 PM
All I know is if Frei is gone next season, and we didn't get a good player in exchange, Mo has made a colossal fuckup

zeelaw
from TorontoFC.ca's website..

As Generation Adidas graduates, Stefan Frei and Fuad Ibrahim do not need to be protected as they cannot be selected in the Expansion Draft.

Lucky Strike
Should have left Brennan and Barrett unprotected IMO

Barrett I can live with being protected, but I would have left Brennan exposed and protected one of our keepers instead, probably Frei but Edwards wouldn't be far behind.

Leaving Guevara available doesn't bother me, he's a very good player but with the World Cup coming and an already clogged midfield, we can use the cap space he would free for a quality winger (like Terry Cooke!).

The rest makes sense to me and of course, this all presumes that deals like gentlemen's agreements (and no, they're not illegal before someone says it, lol) aren't already in place or someone has been signed that makes player X redundant or the team knows a player is catching the eye of another club and are interested in the attention.

bangersandmash
11-23-2009, 07:06 PM
my bad. carry on.

Hope Frei stays, though. Unless Mo has managed to sign Hilario or something.

craigtfc
11-23-2009, 07:07 PM
The question is who is philly gonna pick they can only have 1 player of our roster so who's it gonna be? Stefan Frei or Amado Guevara?

CretanBull
11-23-2009, 07:08 PM
So maybe Phili agreed to take Edwards? Still doesnt quite add up.

IMO we can't even afford to lose Edwards. Frei will be heading to Europe at some point (probably sooner rather than later) and we'll need someone like Edwards to either take over (maybe he'll have earned his chance) or carry the team until a replacement can be found.

They must be interested in Guevara, and have agreed to pick him over Frei....

Lucky Strike
11-23-2009, 07:10 PM
On a side note, it's interesting to note that every year since we've entered the league, there's been one of these: San Jose, Seattle, Philadelphia, in 2011 Vancouver & Portland and probably in 2012, Montreal.

jloome
11-23-2009, 07:10 PM
If the team already knew who Philly were going to take from our unprotected, why risk Frei, instead of Serioux (who as far as I know is a free agent) or Barrett? Seems crazy to me.

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 07:11 PM
This may be why: " Something else to consider is that Philadelphia is also very likely to have deals in place with certain teams where the sides have reached an agreement on who the Union will select from their rosters. One situation where that appears evident is with Toronto FC, which has left both Amado Guevara and Stefan Frei available."

From Ives' blog

I can confirm that the Union front office were in Toronto for the Colorado game where such deals could be made.

mclaren
11-23-2009, 07:12 PM
What!!!!

David_Oliveira
11-23-2009, 07:12 PM
The question is who is philly gonna pick they can only have 1 player of our roster so who's it gonna be? Stefan Frei or Amado Guevara?

QFT. If I am Philly I would take Amado before Frei plus more proven AMERICAN goalies out there on the unprotected list (Americans too)....Ahhh parity.

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 07:13 PM
They are probably taking Edwards.

Hence also us looking at another backup GK.

Hustle
11-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Mo isn't stupid when it comes to this stuff. This is the kind of situation he has excelled at in the past. For sure he has a plan. Whether its something we will approve of remains to be seen.

Chewy Unikronik
11-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Before you guys go pissing all over yourselves, perhaps you should take a deep breath and read this once again...

Something else to consider is that Philadelphia is also very likely to have deals in place with certain teams where the sides have reached an agreement on who the Union will select from their rosters. One situation where that appears evident is with Toronto FC, which has left both Amado Guevara and Stefan Frei available.

Lucky Strike
Mo isn't stupid when it comes to this stuff. This is the kind of situation he has excelled at in the past. For sure he has a plan. Whether its something we will approve of remains to be seen.

Mo is a lot of things, some of them bad, but at this, he's the master. That's why I haven't freaked out over the exposure of Frei, Edwards and Guevara.

This is like a TV show, you just know as soon as someone picks a fight with the main character, he's toast. Mo is our main character here.

prizby
we will see wtf happens on wednesday...not impressed as it stands, but always hopeful

Lucky Strike
11-23-2009, 07:18 PM
I can confirm that the Union front office were in Toronto for the Colorado game where such deals could be made.

Don't jerk us around! :D

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Don't forget last year - we all thought that Seattle would take Johann Smith.......and the took Jarrod Smith instead.

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 07:20 PM
As mentioned in the other thread - I see us losing Edwards probably (if they do take a GK).

1. He is American
2. He is cheap
3. Mo probably worked out a deal

kaos197O
How's about reading this instead from the TFC website!

2009 Expansion Draft Update

Mo Johnston names TFC's Protected List

11/23/2009 5:37 PM
TorontoFC.ca

TORONTO -- Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston has submitted his list of protected players ahead of the 2009 MLS Expansion Draft which will take place on Wednesday afternoon. Philadelphia Union will be able to pick one unprotected player from ten of the 15 MLS teams. All 15 MLS teams submitted their lists of protected players to the League on Monday afternoon.
Here is the list of Toronto FC players not available in the draft:
Nana Attakora
Chad Barrett
Jim Brennan
Sam Cronin
Julian de Guzman
Dwayne De Rosario
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang
Adrian Serioux
O'Brian White
Marvell Wynne
As Generation Adidas graduates, Stefan Frei and Fuad Ibrahim do not need to be protected as they cannot be selected in the Expansion Draft.

bangersandmash
The Union probably want to emulate Seattle's first-season success. What are they gonna take from toronto? Strikers? um... Defenders? Again... umm... So, they're probably looking at mid-fielders and keepers.

Lucky Strike
11-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Don't forget last year - we all thought that Seattle would take Johann Smith.......and the took Jarrod Smith instead.

I was just thinking about that earlier. I STILL can't believe it. It's funny to note that at last year's expansion draft, we set the record for the number of users online. We just get so excited that someone might take away deadwood away from our team for free.

rocker
Ives is disputing that notion that Frei doesn't have to be protected. Who knows?

jloome
NOW ives is saying he hasn't graduated and that the protected list is wrong.

I wonder if his source was Mo. I wonder if Mo realized he'd graduated the GA class, or if the league has sent out the wrong info.

Clusterfuck?

Lucky Strike
11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
How's about reading this instead from the TFC website!

TorontoFC.ca

TORONTO -- Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston has submitted his list of protected players ahead of the 2009 MLS Expansion Draft which will take place on Wednesday afternoon. Philadelphia Union will be able to pick one unprotected player from ten of the 15 MLS teams. All 15 MLS teams submitted their lists of protected players to the League on Monday afternoon.
Nana Attakora
Chad Barrett
Jim Brennan
Sam Cronin
Julian de Guzman
Dwayne De Rosario
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang
Adrian Serioux
O'Brian White
Marvell Wynne

Frei at least I know graduated. Ibrahim is still pretty young so he might not have. The official site has been wrong before...

kaos197O
Frei not going anywhere

TorontoFC.ca

Nana Attakora
Chad Barrett
Jim Brennan
Sam Cronin
Julian de Guzman
Dwayne De Rosario
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang
Adrian Serioux
O'Brian White
Marvell Wynne

Nuvinho
Maybe they graduate after the waiver draft?

Hustle
11-23-2009, 07:24 PM
I was just thinking about that earlier. I STILL can't believe it. It's funny to note that at last year's expansion draft, we set the record for the number of users online. We just get so excited that someone might take away deadwood away from our team for free.

LOL! :)

werewolf
Frei not going anywhere

TorontoFC.ca

Nana Attakora
Chad Barrett
Jim Brennan
Sam Cronin
Julian de Guzman
Dwayne De Rosario
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang
Adrian Serioux
O'Brian White
Marvell Wynne

With this, I think we can go back to the original thread.

jloome
Interesting. The league has released a list of GA graduates and says both Frei and Ibrahim are on it.

This is getting might interesting. Remember the whole Jared Smith debate?

jloome
11-23-2009, 07:26 PM
:hump:
With this, I think we can go back to the original thread.

You're jumping to the conclusion that TFC hasn't made the biggest cockup in exp. draft history.

Lucky Strike
11-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Later, at the first intermission of my Penguins game (roundabout 8:30 pm), I'll look at the whole list of unprotected players around MLS and suggest some interesting names I might want if I were running the Union.

jloome
11-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Now Ives is saying he believes the TFC protected list is in error and that Frei is NOT GA still.

jloome
11-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Ives now saying he believes TFC's press release is wrong and Frei is not protected, but hedging his bets with Mo by suggesting Philly has already agreed to take someone else, i.e. Amado.

brad
11-23-2009, 07:31 PM
My money is on Robbo being picked. Very experienced central midfielder, I can see him being the choice.

Don't think it will be Guevera, with him being gone to the WC this year, and the rest of his future uncertain.

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 07:31 PM
AFter last season, and the mysterious way in which JSmith was taken, I am prepared to give Mo the benefit of the doubt. These situations are where his slippiness comes to the fore.

But, if Frei goes then I will be super pissed off after the event. There's no other keepr in MLS I would take over Frei.

jloome
11-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Robbo has made noises about retiring, including getting his coaching certificate in Europe.

CretanBull
11-23-2009, 07:33 PM
That would suck for us...if we want to get the most out of JDG, we need Robbo.

brad
11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
AFter last season, and the mysterious way in which JSmith was taken, I am prepared to give Mo the benefit of the doubt. These situations are where his slippiness comes to the fore.

This is one of the only places I'll give Mo credit. He is the master of this stuff, and I would be very surprised if he made such an elementary mistake.

But, if Frei goes then I will be super pissed off after the event. There's no other keepr in MLS I would take over Frei.

There are often multi-team deals in effect. If Frei does go on Wed, we may or may not know the full implications for some time.

It's possible that he may go, and we may end up improving our team.

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 07:39 PM
disclaimer about Frei and Ibby taken down from the TorontoFC website.

brad
11-23-2009, 07:39 PM

I think Cronin could fill Robbo's role, and now he has JDG as mentor.

Robbo's had a sharp drop off last year.

werewolf
11-23-2009, 07:40 PM

I give them the benefit of the doubt...:lol:

kaos197O
11-23-2009, 07:44 PM
When????? Still there as I type.............

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Great list of protected/unprotected/exempt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_MLS_Expansion_Draft

still think that some of the exempt list are wrong.

jloome
11-23-2009, 07:47 PM

Uh oh.

What's going on, I wonder? Mo cut a deal, then the press folk assumed he was still a GA and thus the reason for not being protected?

Dear Lord, I hope it's something that innocuous.

sardinho
11-23-2009, 07:47 PM
the disclaimer is still there. identifies them as GA graduates, and specifies they cannot be selected in expansion draft.

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 07:48 PM

TorontoFC.ca

TORONTO -- Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston has submitted his list of protected players ahead of the 2009 MLS Expansion Draft which will take place on Wednesday afternoon.
Philadelphia Union will be able to pick one unprotected player from ten of the 15 MLS teams. All 15 MLS teams submitted their lists of protected players to the League on Monday afternoon.
Here is the list of Toronto FC players not available in the draft: Nana Attakora
Chad Barrett
Jim Brennan
Sam Cronin
Julian de Guzman
Dwayne De Rosario
Emmanuel Gomez
Amadou Sanyang
Adrian Serioux
O'Brian White
Marvell Wynne

Buzz up! (http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzz?targetUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.mlsnet.com%2Fnews% 2Fteam_news.jsp%3Fymd%3D20091123%26content_id%3D77 07810%26team%3Dt280%26affiliateId%3Darticle_share)
Facebook (javascript:void(popWin('http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u='+encodeURIComponent('/content/printer_friendly/y2009/m11/d23/c7707810.html')+'&t=','sharer',626,436));)
Supporter Comments (http://www.mlsnet.com/news/comments.jsp?ymd=20091123&content_id=7707810&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)
Email (javascript:emailThisPage())
Print (http://www.mlsnet.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20091123&content_id=7707810&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I think everyone is unsure. Don't forget this is MLS, they change the rules on the fly.

brad
11-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Uh oh.

What's going on, I wonder? Mo cut a deal, then the press folk assumed he was still a GA and thus the reason for not being protected?

Dear Lord, I hope it's something that innocuous.

If he is available, there are so many ways that this could go, I wouldn't worry yet. We may keep Frei, we may lose him and still improve the team. Really depends on what backroom deals are going on.

prizby
it was funny how the lists were not released until late, way after 3pm, reason presumably to keep confusion down, yet there is probably a ton of confusion

if frei/ibby were protected for graduating, then why was zakuani protected by the Sounders.

At the same time, who knows...waiting game now lol

TFCRegina
Um, you realize that list of Gen A Graduates is a List of those who are in the program and not those who are leaving the program right?

Hustle
Wow....never boring thats for sure.

CretanBull
11-23-2009, 07:57 PM
I think Cronin could fill Robbo's role, and now he has JDG as mentor.

Robbo's had a sharp drop off last year.

Robbo had a bad year, but I don't think that he's done. I don't want JDG mentoring Cronin - I want to see JDG focussed on going forward (hopefully in a less crowded midfield). I think ideally, Robbo plays his role in front of the back line breaking up plays, wins 50/50 balls and makes short passes to a deep-laying JDG who picks the ball up and moves down field with it.

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Players PU (hahaha!!) could look at (based on age, salary, american, etc.):

Chicago - Carr, Rolfe, Segares
Chivas - Saragosa, Thomas, Mayen
Colorado - Dalby, Palguta, Ballouchy
Columbus - Garey, Iro
DCU - McTavish, N'Silu, Khumalo
Dallas - Wallace, Torres
Houston - Chabala, Robinson, Mulrooney
KC Wizards - Besler, Hohlbein
Galaxy - Dunivant, Gordon, Klein
Revs - Heaps, Phelan, Thompson, Castro, Videira
Red Bulls - Cepero, Mbuta, Sassano, Zimmerman
Salt Lake - Campos, Russell
San Jose - Salinas, Pitchkolan
Seattle - Le Toux, Riley
TFC - Edwards, Guevara

Not bad pickings:

GK:
Edwards
DEF:
McTavish,Dunivant, Russell
MID:
Wallace,Mulrooney,Sassano,Selinas
FWD:
Garey, Rolfe

wzhxvy
11-23-2009, 08:09 PM
There is no way Barrett should have been left protected with his salary, long term contract and poor production...I dont give a crap if Mo had a deal to have Philly draft his stapler...thats no reason. He made the moronic deal with Barrett and keeps trying to convince us that he has any value...&%&@$&@

canadian_bhoy
11-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Pretect Barrett? Is anyone going to pick up a relatively expensive and long term contracted player who can't score 10 goals a season?

As for Frei. I think everyone should just relax. There's no way that Mo could have fuked this one up. (famous last words).

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Pretect Barrett? Is anyone going to pick up a relatively expensive and long term contracted player who can't score 10 goals a season?

As for Frei. I think everyone should just relax. There's no way that Mo could have fuked this one up. (famous last words).

Well, we have two quality keepers. So, if we lose Frei, it sucks because we lose the cash from a potential deal but we still have Edwards.

I actually think Philly will select Edwards or Amado.

ArmenJBX
11-23-2009, 08:21 PM
It's gunna be Guevara or Philly won't choose from us. Other teams have much more appealing players on offer. If I was looking at the expansion draft through Philly eyes, Toronto doesn't look that good.

Derko
11-23-2009, 08:21 PM

You are bang on with that one, It's funny how no one else has figured that out yet.

brad
11-23-2009, 08:25 PM
There is no way Barrett should have been left protected with his salary, long term contract and poor production...I dont give a crap if Mo had a deal to have Philly draft his stapler...thats no reason. He made the moronic deal with Barrett and keeps trying to convince us that he has any value...&%&@$&@

Can't read too much into Barrett being protected either. He may be in Preki's long term plans. There may be a trade in the works that he's part of, so we don't want to lose him.

ArmenJBX
11-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Players PU (hahaha!!) could look at (based on age, salary, american, etc.):

GK:
Edwards
DEF:
McTavish,Dunivant, Russell
MID:
Wallace,Mulrooney,Sassano,Selinas
FWD:
Garey, Rolfe

Not bad. I wonder if we can get our hands on Rolfe for Guevara

JDG
11-23-2009, 08:30 PM

A Ceptic supporter having faith in Judas Johnston making the right decision?

I never thought I'd live to see the day :D

Ossington Mental Youth
11-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Robbo has made noises about retiring, including getting his coaching certificate in Europe.

yeah i said something similar to this in another thread.

One thing that has sorta jumped into my mind is that we get Guevara taken away from us who then in turn is traded to Columbus (which is why GBS is being treated so poorly). Philly then takes Robbie Rogers, who is traded back to us and Union gets GBS.

Yes i know its overly complicated and reeks of conspiracy.

brad
You are bang on with that one, It's funny how no one else has figured that out yet.

We need a holding player to allow JDG to push forward, but I don't think it will be Robbo. His game dropped off dramatically, and unless it was a half season drop in form, I think the game at this level is passed him.

He may excel in a much more limited roll, but I'm not sure. This team will need *much* better off the ball movement to open simpler passing lanes for him. Not sure we will get that far next year.

Oh, there is no reason JDG can't mentor Cronin and play a more advanced role at the same time.

Lucky Strike
Still working on my write-up, will post as soon as possible.

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 08:35 PM
We need a holding player to allow JDG to push forward, but I don't think it will be Robbo. His game dropped off dramatically, and unless it was a half season drop in form, I think the game at this level is passed him.

He may excel in a much more limited roll, but I'm not sure. This team will need *much* better off the ball movement to open simpler passing lanes for him. Not sure we will get that far next year.

Oh, there is no reason JDG can't mentor Cronin and play a more advanced role at the same time.

Cronin may be young but I think he can fulfill that role. That's why he was drafted, as opposed to a defender or a striker, both of which we needed this year.

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 08:44 PM

I don't know how no one else can see this.

brad
Cronin may be young but I think he can fulfill that role. That's why he was drafted, as opposed to a defender or a striker, both of which we needed this year.

I agree. Sanyang is also going to see more playing time in that role, but looks to be at least another year or two from being ready to be a first team regular.

Ossington Mental Youth
I really have a hard time believing in the end that we will be losing Frei.
I can see Edwards, especially if those rumors of signing that canadian keeper are true.

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 08:50 PM
UPDATED:

Generation adidas Graduates (Corrected List)

Alston, Kevin, Beltran, Tony, Gonzalez, Omar, Hall, Jeremy, Igwe, Amaechi, Nyarko, Patrick, Seitz, Chris, Wallace, Anthony, Wallace, Rodney, Zakuani, Steve

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Frei is protected.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/11/mls-expansion-draft-protected-lists-unveiled.html

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Updated List:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/11/mls-expansion-draft-protected-lists-unveiled.html

jloome
11-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I'd like to hear the MLS politics behind getting Frei protected, given that he started 26 games.

CretanBull
11-23-2009, 09:06 PM
It looks like we got one of the league's "Galaxy" rules applied to us :) ... probably out of pity :o

v00d00daddy
11-23-2009, 09:17 PM

I agree.

If next years version of TFC "needs" Robbo to be successful....sorry but they won't be successful.

I for one will be very upset if I see Robbo playing with TFC next season. His one dimensional nature is too much for me to take.

Also, people who suggest that Robbo should mentor Cronin over JDG are plain crazy. At this point, I think that there is way more that Cronin can show Robbo than vice versa.

ginkster88
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I wonder if Frei's already gone overseas. Still doesn't make sense to let Philly get that transfer money though...

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Frei is safe. As per the TFC website he can not be selected. I don't think they will draft Robbo. With the threat of retirement and I sure he has made it clear that if he gets drafted he'll retire.

Edit: Frei has been removed.

egoodwin
11-23-2009, 09:23 PM
that's gotta suck for RSL's... win the cup one day, the next find out your club doesn't want you

CretanBull
11-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't think TFC want to see Cronin molded into a pure DM, I think they invision him more as a box to box type player (one who they'd like to force to play out wide). It's not about who can teach Cronin more, its who should be focused on that vs. being focused on other things...Robbo should be a playing coach type of player, JDG should be focused on his own things (but of course he'd help Cronin - or anyone - along the way).

ginkster88
11-23-2009, 09:26 PM
that's gotta suck for RSL's... win the cup one day, the next find out your club doesn't want you

...and the rest of them know they still live in Salt Lake City.

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 09:29 PM
I think Edwards is at serious risk of being taken. Guevara too. Both are good enough to keep on the PU roster and both have good trade value.

I don't think they'll taker Garcia (sadly) or anyone else on our exposed list. Not above Edwards and Guevara anyway.

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 09:29 PM
I agree.

If next years version of TFC "needs" Robbo to be successful....sorry but they won't be successful.

I for one will be very upset if I see Robbo playing with TFC next season. His one dimensional nature is too much for me to take.

Also, people who suggest that Robbo should mentor Cronin over JDG are plain crazy. At this point, I think that there is way more that Cronin can show Robbo than vice versa.

That statement is laughable.

CretanBull
11-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I like Guevara a lot, but I hope he goes. We can afford to lose a midfielder, with Frei likely heading to Europe sometime soon I'd be a lot more comfortable with Edwards still on our roster.

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 09:35 PM
^ makes sense. although i don't think frei will be off to europe just yet. another couple of years maybe.

Kaz
11-23-2009, 09:36 PM
can we attach an extra draft pick to Garcia so they might take him?

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
can we attach an extra draft pick to Garcia so they might take him?

Can we offer them our turf and Garcia?

ensco
11-23-2009, 09:40 PM
I'd like to hear the MLS politics behind getting Frei protected, given that he started 26 games.

This is a blog, but it's the best analysis I've seen on how GA players "graduate".

http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2009/09/graduating-from-generation-adidas.html

As the blogger predicted, Gonzalez and Wallace, Frei's comparables, did graduate.

Frei played 2,295 minutes, and by that standard he should have graduated, although there is the old precedent of Rimando in 2000 (who didn't graduate with over 2,000 minutes played). However, Guzan in 2005, with similar minutes to Frei, did graduate.

I hadn't realized what a big deal this is. How did this happen?

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 09:42 PM
This is a blog, but it's the best analysis I've seen on how GA players "graduate".

http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2009/09/graduating-from-generation-adidas.html

As the blogger predicted, Gonzalez and Wallace, Frei's comparables, did graduate.

Frei played 2,295 minutes, and by that standard he should have graduated, although there is the old precedent of Rimando in 2000 (who didn't graduate with over 2,000 minutes played). However, Guzan in 2005, with similar minutes to Frei, did graduate.

I hadn't realized what a big deal this is. How did Mo pull this off?

Ok, I am sure I am not the only one who has no idea about this GA thing. Can someone explain how it works and how it relates to Frei?

Lucky Strike
11-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Here it is, as promised; took longer than I thought:

From Chicago:

Gonzalo Segares (CB, RB, LB): Has always looked solid and could be a vital piece in a new backline. As far as contract goes, I don’t know about length and when it expires, but he made 64K in 2009.
Chris Rolfe (FW): off to Aalborg
Cuauhtemoc Blanco (M/FW): off to Veracruz.

From Chivas USA:

Eduardo Lillingston (FW): A 1-in-3 striker who made only 96K. Good as a second striker in a 4-4-2 to support a bigger star who you might sign from abroad.

From Colorado:

Mehdi Ballouchy (M C): A solid midfielder for Colorado and a former Generation Adidas player. Made 118K in 2009.

From Columbus:

Alejandro Moreno (FW): Such a diver but is a player of the same type of quality as Lillingston but a bit more expensive at 137K.
Gino Padula (LB): Has been a mainstay for Columbus for two years. A competent player, getting up there in year who might be considered for captain. On the expensive side at 175K.
Frankie Hejduk (RB): Getting up there in age and might only be good for a year but a good player nonetheless. Depending on the length of contract he has with MLS, he may be useful for one more year.

From DC United:

Luciano Emilio (FW): Brand new team with a brand new DP slot. Is proven in the MLS and made 759K.

From FC Dallas:

Dave van den Bergh (M L): His wife is from Dallas and he requested a trade to the area so he might be malcontent if he were picked. If not, he’s a very good winger who can provide good crosses in the box. Made 227K and good for another year or two at 33.

From Houston:

Wade Barrett (LB): A proven championship winner with Houston and though getting up there in age at 33, he has vast experience necessary these days in MLS.

From Kansas City:

Santiago Hirsig (M C): A player that always seems to cause the opposition difficulties, at least when I see him play. A good depth option and costs only 75K.

From Los Angeles:

Todd Dunivant (LB/M L): I always thought it was foolish to let him go and he’s a good player on the left side. Costs 110K. A bit younger than the other options I’ve mentioned at age 28.

From New England:

Mauricio Castro (M C): Another one of those less well-known but seemingly solid players. A bit on the expensive side at 126K for what he bring though.
Jay Heaps (D, don’t know where): A mainstay for New England over the years, could use someone of his talent and experience. 126K.

From RBNY:

Matthew Mbuta (AM C/FW): The other guy acquired at the same time as Kandji. Saw limited action and was loaned to Crystal Palace Baltimore but he’s a proven player at the USL level who has experience success in MLS. I believe the team actually paid a transfer fee for him. Dirt cheap at 20K; a must-buy.
Sinisa Ubiparapovic (DM): A similar player in effectiveness as Castro or Hirsig but comes much cheaper at 35K, another steal.

From Real Salt Lake:

Ned Grabavoy (M C): Another grind-it-out player like Castro and Hirsig. These guys may not score much, if at all, but they do the little things and are otherwise competent players. Costs 100K.
Yura Movsisyan (FW): Sadly off to Randers in Denmark, but if he weren’t he wouldn’t be available.

From San Jose: no one.

From Seattle:

Sebastien LeToux (FW): A former USL MVP who is useful at the MLS level. 112K.
Sanna Nyassi (M C): Another won’t-score-often-but-competent-guy and for 20K, he’s worth it.
Tyson Wahl (CB): Behind Tyrone Marshall on the depth chart but a player you can count on and he’s inexpensive at 35K.

I won’t do TFC since we’re very aware of who’s attractive and who’s garbage.

Gixmo
11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I would crap my pants on command if Frei is somehow taken from us...

.... however reading online I do not need to bring a fresh pair of pants with me draft day.. Phew...

I can't believe we didn't protect Nick Garcia..

ensco
11-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Generation Adidas is a program to keep the best young NCAA players in MLS to start their careers, because players like Frei or Wynne would not have stayed in North America for what Gabe Gala gets paid.

The league signs GA players (usually 6-8 per year) for much more than the minimum (say $150K), but the salary and roster spot doesn't count against the cap. It's why GA players are always top of the list in the MLS draft.

But, as explained above, if you play a lot, you "graduate" out of GA after one year, and your team has to count you towards the cap, protect you, etc....it's a mystery why Gonzalez and Wallace, with similar numbers to Frei, aren't GA anymore, but Frei is. It's a big positive for TFC.

Damien
11-23-2009, 10:04 PM
:facepalm: I would have kept Edwards and Fellinga in their place...

That REALLY pisses me off...

Gixmo
11-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Anger..?

Think of it this way - Who's gonna take a guy who costs 20K per strike?
Brennan, He won't go anywhere to be honest.

Edwards, to be fair to the guy, deserves the opportunity to ply his trade in a market where he is not going to be riding pine. It sucks, but he's a class keeper

Oldtimer
11-23-2009, 10:14 PM
It doesn't matter who is on the protected list as TFC has already made a deal with Portland.

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 10:14 PM
:facepalm: I would have kept Edwards and Fellinga in their place...

That REALLY pisses me off...

Edwards doesn't want to be here, they won't draft Fellinga.

Damien
11-23-2009, 10:16 PM
It doesn't matter who is on the protected list as TFC has already made a deal with Portland.

really? im lazy, wheres the thread? :D

Gixmo
11-23-2009, 10:18 PM
really? im lazy, wheres the thread? :D

Ya... What?

Damien
11-23-2009, 10:19 PM
^ what deal has TFC made with Portland? Or do you guys mean Philly?

v00d00daddy
11-23-2009, 10:22 PM
That statement is laughable.

Maybe.

You know what is also laughable? That people like you considered Robbo our MVP for the first two years. Now, after year 3, he's an after thought at best.

One of the biggest problems with TFC and its supporters is the value that they put on players with big hearts, and high work rates.

That's all Robbo is. Nothing more. He wins balls and then has NO IDEA what to do with them next.

Here's a statement that you can take to the bank.

EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN THIS LEAGUE, GIVEN THE CHOICE, WOULD TAKE CRONIN BEFORE ROBBO.

In all honesty though.....what is Robbo going to teach Cronin (or any other player for that matter) that makes him valuable to TFC?

rocker
11-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I think he means the PU!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/philadelphia-uniongif.jpg

that joke logo never gets old to me! hahahah

wzhxvy
11-23-2009, 10:23 PM
YES it FING matters who you protect, deal or no deal....the chumps need to be sent a message not coddled...Barret especially should not have been protected, nothing will convince me otherwise.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-23-2009, 10:30 PM
yeah im a little curious to as to why this happened, especially as we know Brennan will be riding hte pine and Philly would have to be crazy to take Barrett

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Maybe.

You know what is also laughable? That people like you considered Robbo our MVP for the first two years. Now, after year 3, he's an after thought at best.

One of the biggest problems with TFC and its supporters is the value that they put on players with big hearts, and high work rates.

That's all Robbo is. Nothing more. He wins balls and then has NO IDEA what to do with them next.

EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN THIS LEAGUE, GIVEN THE CHOICE, WOULD TAKE CRONIN BEFORE ROBBO.

In all honesty though.....what is Robbo going to teach Cronin (or any other player for that matter) that makes him valuable to TFC?

Well at least by using the word "also" you are acknowledging what you said is, in fact, laughable.

Anyway, I don't know where to start with this rediculousness....so I won't. What does a man with top level experience, a professional who has been in the game a long time and played at the highest level (premiership, wales) teach a rookie who has been in the league 1 year. You're right....where does he start. :facepalm:

Damien
11-23-2009, 10:39 PM
yeah im a little curious to as to why this happened, especially as we know Brennan will be riding hte pine and Philly would have to be crazy to take Barrett

Exactly... my guess is that Mo's got a hard-on for Barrett for his so called work ethic, and Brennan has begged to retire in a TFC uniform.

Regardless, Mo's made a BADDDD move here.

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
I know Barrett isn't happy in his currently role on the left. Maybe Preki has decided he will be used differently. Maybe he'll play him more centrally and have him take a more direct approach to goal.

jazzy
11-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Maybe.

Here's another one, one day Cronin will be playing at a higher level, Robinson's peaked....and at the end

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Here's another one, one day Cronin will be playing at a higher level, Robinson's peaked....and at the end

Cronin will never be playing in the Championship let alone the premier league. Cronin is a good player, I don't disagree, but to make that statement at this stage is very risky. Also, how can you say that a guy who was the team MVP in 2007-2008 has peaked?

jazzy
11-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Exactly... my guess is that Mo's got a hard-on for Barrett for his so called work ethic, and Brennan has begged to retire in a TFC uniform.

Regardless, Mo's made a BADDDD move here.

I'm so tired of waiting for Barrett to f&89k up, I want skill on the field, not someone getting there, then continously panicing, and then the whoe is me attitude.....5 to 6 times a game.......Barret protected? I knew it because he's at the pub crawls.....Are we the laughing stock or what?

v00d00daddy
11-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Well at least by using the word "also" you are acknowledging what you said is, in fact, laughable.

Anyway, I don't know where to start with this rediculousness....so I won't. What does a man with top level experience, a professional who has been in the game a long time and played at the highest level (premiership, wales) teach a rookie who has been in the league 1 year. You're right....where does he start. :facepalm:

Fine...vote him POTY again. And don't forget to let him share it with Jim Brennan.

I don't care where Robbo played or how long he played there. His skill set is poor.

Robbo is only a hero here in Toronto. Everywhere else he's a journeyman player at best. If you want to continue to fawn over him, fill your boots.

If TFC continue to fawn over him they will regret it. He's done. He was done when he got here 2 years ago. Let it go.

TFC07
11-23-2009, 10:59 PM

Good point. I don't understand why Mo choose to keep him. :facepalm:

BTW, Robbo is overrated! The fact we paying $300K+ to him is a disgrace. I highly doubt Philly wants him.

Fine...vote him POTY again. And don't forget to let him share it with Jim Brennan.

I don't care where Robbo played or how long he played there. His skill set is poor.

Robbo is only a hero here on this website. Everywhere else he's a journeyman player at best. If you want to continue to fawn over him, fill your boots.

If TFC continue to fawn over him they will regret it. He's done. He was done when he got here 2 years ago. Let it go.

Fixed*

v00d00daddy
11-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Cronin will never be playing in the Championship let alone the premier league.

Yeah because the need for a one dimensional ball winner is going or gone in those leagues.

If Carl Robinson were 22 years old he wouldn't get a sniff of those leagues now.

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 11:01 PM
So you can honestly say with a straight face that in 07/08 he WAS NOT our best player? Oooookkkkkk....on that note....

denime
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
I suggest before you start a thread that might create a huge shit storm check the facts first.
Secondly we don't need multiple thread with same topic.

Thanks for understanding ,threads merged.

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah because the need for a one dimensional ball winner is going or gone in those leagues.

If Carl Robinson were 22 years old he wouldn't get a sniff of those leagues now.

:facepalm:

Ok, thank god you do what you do and don't run a football club.

jazzy
11-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Cronin will never be playing in the Championship let alone the premier league.

Cornin will shine for the USA Internationally, if he chooses he will be able to play internationally somewhere for much more than he will ever make here. Watch him closely for the whole game. The premier league is slowly losing it's hold as the centre of the soccer stars of the world, you have a few teams then, what?

ag futbol
11-23-2009, 11:05 PM

Bingo.

The ""defensive" midfielder role isn't what it was 5-10 years ago.

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Cornin will shine for the USA Internationally, if he chooses he will be able to play internationally somewhere for much more than he will ever make here. Watch him closely for the whole game. The premier league is slowly losing it's hold as the centre of the soccer stars of the world, you have a few teams then, what?

In comparison to where Robbo played, Sam won't be at the same level. England, Spain, Italy....those are the best leagues in the world of which Robbo has played in one. Do you honestly think Cronin will be able to play in one of those leagues? I do watch him and still don't think he'sgood enough for any of those.

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Where was the Robbo bashing in 07/08. Everyone was singing his praises. Hell, this group made and sold a couple hundred scarves for him as POTY. You can tell he plays in Toronto.....can't you.

Damien
11-23-2009, 11:18 PM
I suggest before you start a thread that might create a huge shit storm check the facts first.
Secondly we don't need multiple thread with same topic.

Thanks for understanding ,threads merged.

Who doesnt love a good shit storm though? :stogey:

jazzy
11-23-2009, 11:18 PM
In comparison to where Robbo played, Sam won't be at the same level. England, Spain, Italy....those are the best leagues in the world of which Robbo has played in one. Do you honestly think Cronin will be able to play in one of those leagues? I do watch him and still don't think he'sgood enough for any of those.

Maybe, not on the top teams, but, I feel he is so dedicated and a study of the game, that there is that chance, I don't think we see enough of his skills, EG: his corners have been effective. always under control and seeing the game, if he loses a ball, he's a pit bull to get it back. Remember it must be confusing on this team for younger players to figure out their role........Hopefully, this problem will be rectified, with the new coach.

Shakes McQueen
11-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this yet, but Ives is saying that Frei is apparently still in GA, meaning he is protected.

The protecting of Barrett surprises me a little - but perhaps Preki thinks he can work with him, given some of the good qualities Barrett does have.

No one else on that list is a surprise to me.

- Scott

MUFC_Niagara
11-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Maybe, not on the top teams, but, I feel he is so dedicated and a study of the game, that there is that chance, I don't think we see enough of his skills, EG: his corners have been effective. always under control and seeing the game, if he loses a ball, he's a pit bull to get it back. Remember it must be confusing on this team for younger players to figure out their role........Hopefully, this problem will be rectified, with the new coach.

I agree, and I hear what you are saying and agree that Cronin is a good player. If he makes the move to Europe I can see him in one of the lesser leagues. I think that saying Robbo has nothing to teach him and that Robbo is shitty player who has done nothing in his career is a poor statement to make and shows the limited knowledge of the game that SOME people have on this board. But again, this team plays in Toronto and we all know what Toronto sports fans are like.

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 11:37 PM
It's another crazy madness day in MLS kids! I can't decide if I love the drama and intrigue or hate the stupidity and uncertainty of it all.

Either way, I am worried about Edwards and Guevara. Wouldn't want to lose either of them for nothing.

v00d00daddy
11-23-2009, 11:45 PM
I agree, and I hear what you are saying and agree that Cronin is a good player. If he makes the move to Europe I can see him in one of the lesser leagues. I think that saying Robbo has nothing to teach him and that Robbo is shitty player who has done nothing in his career is a poor statement to make and shows the limited knowledge of the game that SOME people have on this board. But again, this team plays in Toronto and we all know what Toronto sports fans are like.

hahahaha. Nice. I've disliked Robbo since day one my friend. You on the other hand are clinging to a picture of Robbo as a player that has never existed.

My knowledge of soccer is lacking but you're the guy who is going to wear a scarf of Robbo as player of the year and now, 1 year later, he is one of the least coveted players on this team.

Good thing I'm the one whose knowledge is lacking. Lol

btw...you're the definition of a Toronto sports fan.

You've taken a player with mediocre ability....admired him for his work ethic....bought in to the mob mentality of the player....and the lifted him to unreal heights for no good reason.

Congrats....you've made robbo tfc's Matt Stajan

Hitcho
11-24-2009, 12:03 AM
:topic:

CretanBull
11-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Here it is, as promised; took longer than I thought:

From Chicago:

Gonzalo Segares (CB, RB, LB): Has always looked solid and could be a vital piece in a new backline. As far as contract goes, I don’t know about length and when it expires, but he made 64K in 2009.
Chris Rolfe (FW): off to Aalborg
Cuauhtemoc Blanco (M/FW): off to Veracruz.

I forget where, but I read that Segares is also on his way to Europe....

Dunc
11-24-2009, 12:05 AM
There's still the potential for gentlemens' agreements, right? Preki might've been doing some behind-the-scenes protection.
Personally I'm not going to get wound up about it. I really would hate to lose Robbo though, especially as I believe he'd be a good guy for an expansion side (He was for us) so he'd be a good pick. I'm also worried about Frei, I really don't want him to go.

Darlofletch
11-24-2009, 12:18 AM
I agree that edwards and guevara are the most likely to be picked, but I wouldn't be devestated to see either of them go.

Definitely would be interesting to see a reason why Frei's still on the GA protected list.

I'm glad to see MLSE has some honour and Brennan got treated with a bit of class and protected, to ensure he gets the chance to retire with us.

druid
11-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Not sad about Robbo and hope Mo got it right with Frei.

Robbo was ok in his first season but his positional sense can be shocking, his passing can be atrocious, and he can be physical bossed far too easily. If we were going to partner a ball winner with JDG, I'd prefer it too be someone like Serioux. Someone with physical prescence, the ability to shield the ball, the techinique to make himself a yard of space, and the height to fight for high balls with a target man whose dropped into space.

Cronin and JDG would be a a midfield pairing with a lot of passing skill and vision but I can see them getting taken out by a strong opposing midfield.

billyfly
11-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Its hard for me to argue this player and that. All I know is so far other than that magic night in MTL, we got nothing to show for 3 years.

Fushida
11-24-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm shocked about protecting Barrett... a striker who can't score goals on a 200k contract? Philly can take him for all I care and we can grab ourselves some much better strikers even within MLS... I suppose Preki might have had something to say about his work ethic, so who knows... maybe this'll be the year :rolleyes:

As for Robbo... I like him and all, but he was never that good a player. Decent ball winner, but that's about it. POTY and all that is nice and all but we're not talking about 07/08 here... the team has gotten (slightly) better and Robbo hasn't. Cronin may be a bit soft but he's a FAR better overall player than Robbo. And taking the hit at 300k? I'd take Cronin in a heartbeat. Either way, its not like Philly will take Robbo anyways... there are far younger and safer alternatives in the draft..

Shakes McQueen
11-24-2009, 01:53 AM
hahahaha. Nice. I've disliked Robbo since day one my friend. You on the other hand are clinging to a picture of Robbo as a player that has never existed.

My knowledge of soccer is lacking but you're the guy who is going to wear a scarf of Robbo as player of the year and now, 1 year later, he is one of the least coveted players on this team.

Good thing I'm the one whose knowledge is lacking. Lol

btw...you're the definition of a Toronto sports fan.

You've taken a player with mediocre ability....admired him for his work ethic....bought in to the mob mentality of the player....and the lifted him to unreal heights for no good reason.

Congrats....you've made robbo tfc's Matt Stajan

Since when has Matt Stajan been "admired for his work ethic", or "lifted to unreal heights"? From what I've seen, most Leafs fans think he's an absolute bum.

I think worshipping Robbo like a God is just about as stupid as writing him off as useless.

- Scott

MUFC_Niagara
11-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Since when has Matt Stajan been "admired for his work ethic", or "lifted to unreal heights"? From what I've seen, most Leafs fans think he's an absolute bum.

I think worshipping Robbo like a God is just about as stupid as writing him off as useless.

- Scott

:hump:

Oldtimer
11-24-2009, 08:27 AM
oops, slip. I meant Philly, not Portland.

Trader Mo met with Philly's management already and they probably have a deal.

If they didn't come to a deal, I would expect Edwards and Guevara to be Philly's first choices.

Lucky Strike
11-24-2009, 08:31 AM
I forget where, but I read that Segares is also on his way to Europe....

That would explain why such an interesting player would be left available. I consider myself pretty up-to-date with stuff that happens in MLS, even with other teams, but I suppose it's possible to miss one.

Lucky Strike
11-24-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm shocked about protecting Barrett... a striker who can't score goals on a 200k contract? Philly can take him for all I care and we can grab ourselves some much better strikers even within MLS... I suppose Preki might have had something to say about his work ethic, so who knows... maybe this'll be the year :rolleyes:

As for Robbo... I like him and all, but he was never that good a player. Decent ball winner, but that's about it. POTY and all that is nice and all but we're not talking about 07/08 here... the team has gotten (slightly) better and Robbo hasn't. Cronin may be a bit soft but he's a FAR better overall player than Robbo. And taking the hit at 300k? I'd take Cronin in a heartbeat. Either way, its not like Philly will take Robbo anyways... there are far younger and safer alternatives in the draft..

Maybe Preki will get other players to run as much as he does and then he'll be able to score goals. Maybe that was the problem, he worked too hard compared to others!

What? Something wrong against super-optimism on Tuesday morning? :D

Oldtimer
11-24-2009, 08:39 AM
AVAILABLE FOR DRAFT

Edwards, Brian

Not a bad GK, but not fantastic. It wouldn't be overly hard to replace him with equivalent quality.

Fellinga, Lesly

He wasn't played much last year, there is probably a reason.

Garcia, Nick

Take him, please?

Gerba, Ali

The "new club every year" man is available to continue his streak.

Guevara, Amado

We knew Preki wouldn't hang on to him.

Robinson, Carl

Too expensive, plus now redundant now that we have JDG.

Vitti, Pablo

Not worth his salary.

Gala, Gabe

Could be worth keeping, but it won't greatly affect the team if he's taken.

Oldtimer
11-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Maybe Preki will get other players to run as much as he does and then he'll be able to score goals. Maybe that was the problem, he worked too hard compared to others!

What? Something wrong against super-optimism on Tuesday morning? :D

I don't think that it's totally unrealistic. Barrett has good potential, the right coach might bring it out. I'm convinced that he has the technical ability and he certainly puts in a great work rate. His problems are almost 100% on the mental aspect of the game, just like Cunningham's were when he was with TFC.

I'm not surprised to see him protected, Preki likes hard workers, given the right system and some good coaching, he could become a good piece of the puzzle.

brad
11-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Bingo.

The ""defensive" midfielder role isn't what it was 5-10 years ago.

Neither is the old fashioned English target man, but the best football we played was when we had Dichio filling that role on the field.

MLS is a long way behind tactically.

brad
11-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Where was the Robbo bashing in 07/08. Everyone was singing his praises. Hell, this group made and sold a couple hundred scarves for him as POTY. You can tell he plays in Toronto.....can't you.

I'll chime back in. I was a big fan of Robbo. I defended him in the first season when he was being used in way outside his skill set and everyone was calling for his head, and sang his praises in the second. He's still one of my favorite players.

That said, I also think his production dropped of dramatically last year - his passing in particular was dreadful. I think he's done at this level.

koryo
11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Barret protected and Frei left exposed...

Johnston strikes again.

He needs to spend much less time in the pub.

ensco
11-24-2009, 09:03 AM
^Which board were you on? There has been tons of Robbo bashing all the way through.

It was felt by quite a few that you could get a similar player for less money.

brad
11-24-2009, 09:29 AM
AVAILABLE FOR DRAFT

Edwards, Brian

Not a bad GK, but not fantastic. It wouldn't be overly hard to replace him with equivalent quality.

Picking up a Canadian backup makes sense (which rumors indicate we are trying to do). Using an international slot on a backup keeper seems like a waste.

Fellinga, Lesly

He wasn't played much last year, there is probably a reason.
Apparently no where near match fit when he arrived. More worrying, they said that he was behind tactically for the MLS (which I found odd). Looked promising when we saw him.

Garcia, Nick

Take him, please?
Amen

Gerba, Ali

The "new club every year" man is available to continue his streak.

His past goal scoring record may make him appealing, as goals are hard to come by in the MLS. I think Gerba may come good though if he can lose some weight, and Preki can get the team creating chances for him inside the 18 yard box.

Guevara, Amado

We knew Preki wouldn't hang on to him.
Probably the most obvious choice on paper, but he will miss a large amount of next year due to the WC. Depth is a big problem for an expansion team.

Robinson, Carl

Too expensive, plus now redundant now that we have JDG.
Redundant - Depends on what role JDG plays
Too expensive - Depends on what comes out of the CBA
An experienced player may be if interest to Philly

Vitti, Pablo

Not worth his salary.
Not this past year with route one football. I could see him becoming a very important part of our team playing on real grass and keeping the ball on it.

Same deal with the CBA.

Gala, Gabe

Could be worth keeping, but it won't greatly affect the team if he's taken.Interesting that he's not getting minutes. The word from folks that played Varsity with him was that he's lazy.

brad
11-24-2009, 09:29 AM
^Which board were you on? There has been tons of Robbo bashing all the way through.

It was felt by quite a few that you could get a similar player for less money.

I've been on the RPB boards since the second iteration.

It was on here - I was one of the ones that defended him.

ManUtd4ever
11-24-2009, 09:33 AM
The odds are that Philadelphia will select Edwards as he is the best keeper available in the draft in my opinion. I would be fine with that as I'd prefer to see Robbo and Guevara remain with TFC for roster depth or trade bait as opposed to losing players of their quality for nothing...

BuSaPuNk
11-24-2009, 09:40 AM
I would be fine losing anyone on that list besides Gala. And I don't really see that happening. Edwards or Guevarra are gone. And really it would be a better thing to lose Edwards to free up that international spot and the salary to use in new CB or striker.

We could always trade Guevarra and get atleast something have good back either a quality bench player with picks or allocation.

RedsYNWA
11-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Maybe preki wants one of his chivas players to come over ....Lillingston???

JonO
11-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I don't think that it's totally unrealistic. Barrett has good potential, the right coach might bring it out. I'm convinced that he has the technical ability and he certainly puts in a great work rate. His problems are almost 100% on the mental aspect of the game, just like Cunningham's were when he was with TFC.

I'm not surprised to see him protected, Preki likes hard workers, given the right system and some good coaching, he could become a good piece of the puzzle.
I agree with everything you say here. When Barrett doesn't have time to think with the ball at his feet, I bet you his goal rate is very impressive. If he can get over whatever his mental block is, he will be very good...

tfcleeds
11-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Maybe preki wants one of his chivas players to come over ....Lillingston???

I think he would be a great pick up - can't see why Chivas would let him go though.

Chewy Unikronik
11-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Hopefully, all the whiners complaining about Frei being left unprotected, and Mo being a major fukup, have taken their chill pills now.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-LKYPsCAZHs/SrNSlpIDdtI/AAAAAAAAAKo/_4QpYcH75Yw/s320/chill_pill.jpg

ensco
11-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Anyone else wondering if Philly might take Gala?

I know he's Canadian but that didn't stop SJ from taking Pozzy two years ago.

All I know is, in very limited action, he looks like a soccer player. He's a utility player, and he's cheap.

It wouldn't totally shock me.

Nuvinho
11-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I don't think Preki would want Lillingston. His playing time decreased due to his lack of defensive play and him being lazy (I remember something was said about that during one of the Chivas game broadcasts). But Preki, will try to bring in a few guys from Chivas for sure.

Philly I see taking Edwards because he is American, cheap salary, and has shown he can be a starter in this league. Gala is another interesting choice, but they would have to offer him a senior contract and will probably be close to the money that Edwards would make (50K?). Guevara would be their best choice, but I think if Philly picked Guevara, they would of got some indication that he would actually want to play for them (rumblings that he may want to play back home again).

Again, same as last year, where we all thought Seattle was gonna take Johann, but shocked us all and took Jarrod.

Broadview
11-24-2009, 10:19 AM

I don't think he makes enough to afford any kind of rent if he didn't live at home or in a dorm or whatever. He might have to pump gas after practice to make ends meet.

ManUtd4ever
11-24-2009, 10:24 AM

Agreed. Based on that logic, Barrett as well as Wynne should be the biggest beneficiaries of Preki's hiring next season...

Lucky Strike
11-24-2009, 10:25 AM

All I know is, in very limited action, he looks like a soccer player. He's a utility player, and he's cheap.

After Seattle took Jarrod Smith last year, nothing shocks me with these. In truth, in my view Seattle had a fairly poor expansion draft last year. They made up for it with astute signings, but I thought they could have done a lot better with the players they picked. I suppose you could argue they've done pretty well with what they had but they could have been better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_MLS_Expansion_Draft

Of the 10 at the time, only 2 really stood out (Jacqua and Evans). Look at the list of exposed players, aren't there quite a few you'd like to have over who was picked?

rocker
11-24-2009, 10:38 AM
barring a specific deal with Philly, there's a good chance TFC will lose nobody. I was looking through the lists of all teams and I see some good players available on at least 11 of those other lists.

Lucky Strike
11-24-2009, 11:53 AM
barring a specific deal with Philly, there's a good chance TFC will lose nobody. I was looking through the lists of all teams and I see some good players available on at least 11 of those other lists.

Statistically, TFC has a 33% chance of having no one picked. But of course, this could go up or down depending on how Nowak values the available players. Hope you're right about the good players (in that Philadelphia views them the same way) available on other teams.

prizby
11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
can someone explain how vitti can be available SINCE HIS CONTRACT IS NOT OWNED BY TFC OR THE MLS?????????

Nuvinho
11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
can someone explain how vitti can be available SINCE HIS CONTRACT IS NOT OWNED BY TFC OR THE MLS?????????

Its the MLS, they do whatever they want, change rules on the fly, make exemptions, etc.

sulfur
11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Since his contract isn't owned by the MLS/TFC, they don't have to protect him, since nobody can take him anyhow! :)

James17930
11-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Since his contract isn't owned by the MLS/TFC, they don't have to protect him, since nobody can take him anyhow! :)

Right.

And also, I don't think we have to worry about losing any Canadians (why take a Canadian when you can take an American?), and based on the fact that Cepero and Conway are also available, Edwards is probably safe (per Ives).

And remember there will be five teams with no one taken -- we might actually come out of it completely unscathed.

Lucky Strike
11-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Right.

And also, I don't think we have to worry about losing any Canadians (why take a Canadian when you can take an American?), and based on the fact that Cepero and Conway are also available, Edwards is probably safe (per Ives).

And remember there will be five teams with no one taken -- we might actually come out of it completely unscathed.

Kevin Hartman is also available and though he's up there in age, the fat bastard might get a look.

rocker
11-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Right.

ya.. and there's also Brad Knighton if they are looking for a decent young American keeper as understudy. He got some looks when Matt Reis got hurt last season.

Looking at it from the Union's perspective, I'm not sure Brian Edwards would be at the top of the potential keeper list for them. He also got roasted 5-0 at season's end.. I know it wasn't his fault, but still it ruined his stats.

Josh Wicks is out there too if they can deal with his injury. He's a little crazy tho.

jloome
11-24-2009, 01:30 PM

Maybe I'm reading the feeling on the board here wrong but a lot of people -- not implying you ensco -- seem to be basing Philly's possible pickups without considering that they only get to pick 10 players. One-third of the teams in the league won't lose anyone, and you can only lose one at most.

To me, if he's staying in MLS, it'll be Guevara. If he indicates he's not staying in MLS, it'll be Edwards, as he's one of the backups in this league that looks like he has starting potential, due to his composure and shot stopping.

prizby
11-24-2009, 03:17 PM

so why is he on the available list

prizby
11-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Maybe I'm reading the feeling on the board here wrong but a lot of people -- not implying you ensco -- seem to be basing Philly's possible pickups without considering that they only get to pick 10 players. One-third of the teams in the league won't lose anyone, and you can only lose one at most.

To me, if he's staying in MLS, it'll be Guevara. If he indicates he's not staying in MLS, it'll be Edwards, as he's one of the backups in this league that looks like he has starting potential, due to his composure and shot stopping.

i wonder what sons of ben are saying

sulfur
11-24-2009, 03:21 PM
He's on the "unprotected" list. :)

some people automatically translate "unprotected" to available.

jloome
11-24-2009, 03:39 PM
He's on the "unprotected" list. :)

some people automatically translate "unprotected" to available.

All it means, as far as I can tell, is his rights aren't protected. We have Vitti's MLS rights, so we've left them unprotected.

jloome
11-24-2009, 03:41 PM

True.

Look at his shot total last year: of his 55 shots, only 25 were even on net. He missed the net completely more than he managed to hit it. That says something more about a player's psychological makeup than his skills, because even high school strike rates are more on target than that.

Oldtimer
11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
True.

Look at his shot total last year: of his 55 shots, only 25 were even on net. He missed the net completely more than he managed to hit it. That says something more about a player's psychological makeup than his skills, because even high school strike rates are more on target than that.

Look at the player's reaction when they miss. DeRo looks determined that he'll get another try. Barrett looks like "Oh no, I failed again!"

If Barrett's psychology can be solved (and we don't know if Preki can do that, but he'd be one of the better ones to try) we could have a decent goal-scorer.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2009, 08:39 PM

itll be for his rights, much like we traded for Gerbas before he came over here. It doesnt mean he will def play for them, just means if he decides to sign a new contract he has to play for them

Nuvinho
11-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Mockdraft from mlsdraft.net:

http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/238

Hitcho
11-24-2009, 11:31 PM
^ they make a fair point about Amado. i'd hate to lose him, even if we do have a glut of central players, and I'd hate to lose him even more for free!

Sullivan
11-25-2009, 01:12 AM
IF, and it's a pretty big IF, I hear right, there is a bigger picture to be looked at down the road, re: the keepers....however...

Does Nowak want a stud for stability; or will he platoon? Don't know, but I think Edwards at $48k is safe with TFC.

Hartman ($165k) vs Conway ($42k) vs Cepero ($34K) as part of your keeper pool; depth, heavy minutes and reasonable contracts.

Plus, Sutton is a free agent walking... with green card in hand.
And what about the message Josh Saunders sent out Sunday night ($45k).

And remember that Conway is also a Philly boy too. Played youth with FC Delco and at Rutgers.

With regard to Mock Drafts, I've got a couple of entries in mock draft pools....

This group of 10 is based on value, versatility, depth, youth/experience blend, capable of starting 20+ games and leaves me with $$$ to spend on
free agents. Not much consideration to Nowak or the Union, more of a kicks and giggles entry...

GK
Jon Conway - CHV ($42k) 32, Philly product (FC Delco & Rutgers) Experience/Stability

D
Matt Besler – KC ($36k) 22, versatile, young prospect, depth, coached by Bobby Clarke
Jordan Harvey - COL ($51k) 26, LB. Depth.
Eddie Robinson – HOU ($137k) 31, Poise, Experience, Tough, Injury prone?
Robbie Russell – RSL ($97k) 30, Leadership, Experience, Reasonable salary

D/M
Devon McTavish – DCU ($50) 25, Mr Versatility, Still young, relatively cheap and previously coached by Nowak

M
Bobby Convey – SJ ($220k) 26, the poster boy!
Amado Guevara - TFC ($300k) 33, AM, creative player with vision,
Sanna Nyassi - SEA ($20k) 22, youth, plays wide, provides speed
Wells Thompson - NER ($35k) 26, A Wake Forest product, a player who can play wide on either side of the pitch

F = Free Agency

CAP HIT = $988,000

ensco
11-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Amado will only get taken if he wants to go.

No way Philly would take him unless they had permission from TFC to talk to him about it first.

Lucky Strike
11-25-2009, 08:26 AM
So today's the big day (well, maybe a big day). Let's all try to predict who will be taken from TFC, if anyone? Post your guess and see who gets it right! Be called a visionary or a dope! :D

For myself, I'll say Philadelphia doesn't pick anyone from TFC.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2009, 08:33 AM
ive got four guys on that list i dont want to be taken, anyone else is fine by me. also im curious to see the after math, whether someone goes or not

Yohan
11-25-2009, 08:55 AM
My potential choices. I'm kinda igoring cap hit, pending on whether new CBA increases cap size and roster size.
Wish I had time to write up a bit of details but oh well.

Chivas USA
-Lillingston (ST)
-Jesse Marsch (CM)
-Carey Talley (DM/CB)
-Shavar Thomas (CB):
-Mariano Trujillo (LB):

Chicago
-Chris Rolfe (RW/ST):

Columbus
-Andy Gruenenbaum (GK):
-Alejandro Moreno (ST):
-Emilio Renteria (ST):

Colorado
-Mehdi Ballouchy (AM):

FC Dallas
-Ray Burse (GK):
-Pablo Richetti (DM):

DC United
-Emilio (ST):
-Greg Janicki (D):

Houston
-Wade Barrett (D)
-Michael Chabala (D)
-Ryan Cochrane (D)
-Richard Mulrooney (D)
-Eddie Robinson (D)

Kansas City
-Santiago Hirsig (DM)
-Aaron Hohlbein (CB)

New England
-Chris Albright (RB)
-Jay Heaps (CB)
-Edgaras Jankauskas (ST)
-Wells Thompson (M)

LA Galaxy
-Todd Dunivant (LB)
-Stefani Miglioranzi (DM)
-Josh Saunders (GK)

New York
-Daniel Cepero (GK)
-Mike Petke (CB)
-John Wolyniec (ST)
-Nick Zimmerman (RW)

Real Salt Lake
-Ned Grabavoy (DM)
-Robbie Russell (CB)
-Andy Williams (CM/RW)

San Jose
-Bobby Convey (LW)
-Shea Salinas (RW)
-Michael Zaher (RB)

Seattle
-Sebastien Le Toux (LW)
-James Riley (RB)
-Nathan Sturgis (CB/DM)
-Sanna Nyassi (RW)

Toronto
-Brian Edwards (GK)
-Amado Guevara (AM)

Yohan
11-25-2009, 08:56 AM
actually, Philly has a very good choices here. probably can take a lot of starters from this draft, if they play their cards right.

certainly can cobble together a very good base and depth for their team

Oldtimer
11-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Emilio's is still a very good player. He would be a good pick, but given the number of better choices, and his own uncertain contract status (he could end up going back to Brazil), I expect that they will pick someone else.

In an unsettled offseason featuring an expansion draft and the selection of the club's new head coach, the future remains murky for the striker who has served as the spearhead of the D.C. United attack over the past three years. United's leading scorer ever since his arrival from Honduran side CD Olimpia in 2007, Luciano Emilio will soon be out of contract and is contemplating his options in the wake of a campaign defined by frustration for him and his D.C. teammates. He and his family have flown home to Brazil this week and the 30-year-old expects to open negotiations with United sometime after Thanksgiving, once the club picks a new head coach.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20091123&content_id=7708564&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Chevy
11-25-2009, 09:19 AM
I haven't heard anybody mention the possibility of Philly taking Vitti. He's much younger than Amado and won't be away for part of the summer.

??

Oldtimer
11-25-2009, 09:22 AM
I haven't heard anybody mention the possibility of Philly taking Vitti. He's much younger than Amado and won't be away for part of the summer.

??

Vitti has potential, but he isn't worth his salary. Unless you were certain that you could negotiate him down to $100K or less, you would be unwise to select him.

Lucky Strike
11-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Chicago
-Chris Rolfe (RW/ST)

Actually Rolfe will be off to Aalborg for 2010.

ManUtd4ever
11-25-2009, 10:11 AM
I've been reconsidering this and correct me if I'm wrong, but if the MLS plans on respecting the FIFA calendar next season other than the one month period of the WC, Guevara should still be available for the majority of league matches. In that case, if his salary is the only deterent, why wouldn't Philly take a chance on him? I sure as hell would...

sulfur
11-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Vitti has potential, but he isn't worth his salary. Unless you were certain that you could negotiate him down to $100K or less, you would be unwise to select him.
There's also the potential issue of having to make arrangements with his home team.

torfchamilton
11-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I've been reconsidering this and correct me if I'm wrong, but if the MLS plans on respecting the FIFA calendar next season other than the one month period of the WC, Guevara should still be available for the majority of league matches. In that case, if his salary is the only deterent, why wouldn't Philly take a chance on him? I sure as hell would...

The team usually gets together at least a month before the World Cup, so around May and MLS is only shutting down for 2 weeks I believe. Which should be enough time for Honduras to get knocked out. It may work out for Philly to take him. It's just the feeling that World Cup will be in his mind and may not push himself until after the World Cup

ManUtd4ever
11-25-2009, 10:31 AM
My potential choices. I'm kinda igoring cap hit, pending on whether new CBA increases cap size and roster size.
Wish I had time to write up a bit of details but oh well.

Chivas USA
-Lillingston (ST)
-Jesse Marsch (CM)
-Carey Talley (DM/CB)
-Shavar Thomas (CB):
-Mariano Trujillo (LB):

Chicago
-Chris Rolfe (RW/ST):

Columbus
-Andy Gruenenbaum (GK):
-Alejandro Moreno (ST):
-Emilio Renteria (ST):

Colorado
-Mehdi Ballouchy (AM):

FC Dallas
-Ray Burse (GK):
-Pablo Richetti (DM):

DC United
-Emilio (ST):
-Greg Janicki (D):

Houston
-Wade Barrett (D)
-Michael Chabala (D)
-Ryan Cochrane (D)
-Richard Mulrooney (D)
-Eddie Robinson (D)

Kansas City
-Santiago Hirsig (DM)
-Aaron Hohlbein (CB)

New England
-Chris Albright (RB)
-Jay Heaps (CB)
-Edgaras Jankauskas (ST)
-Wells Thompson (M)

LA Galaxy
-Todd Dunivant (LB)
-Stefani Miglioranzi (DM)
-Josh Saunders (GK)

New York
-Daniel Cepero (GK)
-Mike Petke (CB)
-John Wolyniec (ST)
-Nick Zimmerman (RW)

Real Salt Lake
-Ned Grabavoy (DM)
-Robbie Russell (CB)
-Andy Williams (CM/RW)

San Jose
-Bobby Convey (LW)
-Shea Salinas (RW)
-Michael Zaher (RB)

Seattle
-Sebastien Le Toux (LW)
-James Riley (RB)
-Nathan Sturgis (CB/DM)
-Sanna Nyassi (RW)

Toronto
-Brian Edwards (GK)
-Amado Guevara (AM)

Is it just me or does it seem like Philly might be able to put together a decent squad from that list...

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2009, 10:44 AM
nah theres quite a bit there to suggest a decent squad might be put together

Hitcho
11-25-2009, 10:45 AM
If Frei genuinely is protected then I am not going to fret too much over who we might lose. I'd rather keep Edwards, he's a good back up keeper and cheap. Amado I like, but 33, WC coming up, potential head clash with Preki, big salary, glut of central players - that's a lot of limiting factors for one player. Robbo I would like to see stay for another season as a TFC player, or just go into coaching if Preki doesn't want him on the pitch. Beyond that, I really don't care if we lose Garcia, Gerba, Gala etc. The negative impact on next season would be minimal, and we're not losing much in terms of trade value, whereas we do stand to clear off some good cap space.

But if I had to pick, I think Edwards or Amado are the likely selections from Philly, if they take anyone from TFC.

Although, Mo has probably already backed them into a corner and they'll select Garcia and then trade us their first round pick next season and some allocation cash for Guevara. :D:D:D

Nuvinho
11-25-2009, 10:55 AM
They can draft a decent club, but in most cases, they will trade the player back for a pick or allocation.

Toronto drafted Kreis, Hesmer, O'Rourke, Serioux, Regan, Jaqua - all later traded within a few days.

Nuvinho
11-25-2009, 11:02 AM
more mock drafts:

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20091125_The_Daily_News_s_first_10.html

Nuvinho
11-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Ives on the draft.

He thinks that Guevara will be picked because of his trade value. Mo, I hope you made an agreement with Philly, b/c I wouldn't mind if we kept Guevara and traded him to get into the 1st round of the draft.

The Philadelphia Union is just hours away from having its first set of players and Philly fans will soon have names to put on the jerseys they are ordering in bunches.
We ran our SBI Mock Expansion Draft (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/11/sbis-mock-mls-expansion-draft.html) on Tuesday, but several readers have asked which ten players I would take if I were running Philadelphia's expansion draft. Here would be my selections:

Kevin Hartman, Anthony Wallace, Eddie Robinson, Shavar Thomas, Robbie Russell, Bobby Convey, Amado Guevara, Pat Phelan, Sanna Nyassi, Alejandro Moreno
I know there are folks who don't rate Bobby Convey as a worthy pick, especially based on his terrible year in San Jose, but I just happen to think he could revitalize his career by returning home to Philadelphia. There aren't many left wing options in the expansion pool and I think the upside of Convey's selection would make his pick worth it.
Here are some other things to note as we draw closer to the announcement of Philadelphia's selections:

Unless Philadelphia has a goalkeeper it plans to sign form overseas I'm not sure how the Union pass on someone as experienced and reliable as Kevin Hartman. It also wouldn't shock me if Philly grabbed Pat Onstad in order to hold him ransom from Houston. That said, I can't see Nowak passing on Dynamo defender Eddie Robinson.
For my money, Eddie Robinson, Amado Guevara and Anthony Wallace are the no-brainer picks in the bunch. Wallace is a very exciting left back prospect who could blossom into a standout while Robinson could be the perfect anchor for Philly's defense. Guevara has serious trade value so even if Peter Nowak doesn't like him for his own team, he could easily flip him for more draft picks or players (Chivas, Houston and Colorado are three places I could see him going).
Frankie Hejduk is a tough call. If salary wasn't something to consider then he'd be a great pick because he's a top-notch locker room leader and a fan favorite, but his form late in the year leaves you wondering how much is left in the tank, and with his high salary, Philly might be better off looking at less expensive alternatives. I go with MLS Cup hero Robbie Russell, who is strong, fast and can play either fullback position and even central defense if called upon.
Just how much will hometown ties play into Peter Nowak's selections? I don't think he'll be taking ten Philly natives, but I do think he will take a few players with local ties. This is what makes Convey, Stephen King and Chris Albright strong possibilities.
Speaking of ties, you always expect coaches to go after players they have coached before, so we have to at least consider that Nowak will want to re-unite with someone from D.C. United's list of available player. Leading the list of potential picks from D.C. is defender Devon McTavish.
Lastly, don't get too caught up in contract figures when the expansion list comes out. Philly can negotiate new deals with the players they select and something tells me players like Convey and Albright will be ready to take paycuts for the chance to play for their hometown team.

Yohan
11-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Hartmann, Albright, Robinson, Thomas, Russell would be a very respectable MLS starting line up for defence

BuSaPuNk
11-25-2009, 12:14 PM
If Guevarra is so easy to flip for draft picks why wouldn't MoJo protect him and trade him away and atleast get something for him?

T.Reis
11-25-2009, 12:15 PM
actually, Philly has a very good choices here. probably can take a lot of starters from this draft, if they play their cards right.

certainly can cobble together a very good base and depth for their team

Exactly, and with regular roster rules, not the roster rules that were imposed on TFC at the time of our expansion draft.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! :facepalm: The 3 expansion draft's after TFC are so frustrating to me cuz we got screwed over when ours came along.

Just like Seattle and SJ, Philly will start right off the bat with a decent foundation of players instead of just having 3 or 4 players and having to go find the rest.

This to me is still a huge reason why it's taken TFC so long to get some reliable depth for our team. Wasn't fair in the end.

Like Yohan said, if they play their cards right, but at least they got the opportunity to do so.

But what pisses me off the most is that it will only take Vancouver a few seasons to find some consistency cuz they are going to start out potentially with a decent roster. Hell, I bet that when they come in to play MLS will just officially consider any Canadian player to be a domestic just like any American. Wish we could have done that, I wouldn't have never had to subject my eyes to the horrors that were Adam Braz, Marco Reda, Andrea Lombardo & Chirs Poznaik or any other Canadian we had to bring in to fit into the roster rules.

Then everyone is going to go on and on about how that douche bag Lenarduzzi did everything right and faster then Mo @ TFC. You wait and see!

After the draft, make your own judgment after u compare what Philly is starting out with and what we started out. Just my $0.02

Yup, post long enough to be considered a rant! But it's another thing you may want to take into consideration when you judge Mo and/or compare TFC with another new team.

Damn rain, keeping me inside in front of the PC on my lunch break! But I blame you Yohan for getting me going with your correct comment lol.

TFC Via Buffalo
11-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Exactly, and with regular roster rules, not the roster rules that were imposed on TFC at the time of our expansion draft.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! :facepalm: The 3 expansion draft's after TFC are so frustrating to me cuz we got screwed over when ours came along.

Just like Seattle and SJ, Philly will start right off the bat with a decent foundation of players instead of just having 3 or 4 players and having to go find the rest.

This to me is still a huge reason why it's taken TFC so long to get some reliable depth for our team. Wasn't fair in the end.

Like Yohan said, if they play their cards right, but at least they got the opportunity to do so.

But what pisses me off the most is that it will only take Vancouver a few seasons to find some consistency cuz they are going to start out potentially with a decent roster. Hell, I bet that when they come in to play MLS will just officially consider any Canadian player to be a domestic just like any American. Wish we could have done that, I wouldn't have never had to subject my eyes to the horrors that were Adam Braz, Marco Reda, Andrea Lombardo & Chirs Poznaik or any other Canadian we had to bring in to fit into the roster rules.

Then everyone is going to go on and on about how that douche bag Lenarduzzi did everything right and faster then Mo @ TFC. You wait and see!

After the draft, make your own judgment after u compare what Philly is starting out with and what we started out. Just my $0.02

Yup, post long enough to be considered a rant! But it's another thing you may want to take into consideration when you judge Mo and/or compare TFC with another new team.

Damn rain, keeping me inside in front of the PC on my lunch break! But I blame you Yohan for getting me going with your correct comment lol.

After watching the sit down with Garber at the supporters meeting from the MLS website, this doesn't seem like it will ever happen. He says it has something to do with labor laws where if a Canadian player is considered domestic, all other nationalities have to as well due to labor laws.

prizby
11-25-2009, 12:30 PM
anyone notice julius james got protected LOL

prizby
11-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Pat Phelan (New England Revolution)
Alecko Eskandarian (Los Angeles Galaxy)
Amado Guevara (Toronto FC)
Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire)
Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew)
Anthony Wallace (FC Dallas)
Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo)
Roger Levesque (Seattle Sounders)
Bobby Convey (San Jose Earthquakes)
Kevin Hartman (Kansas City Wizards)

thats who i would pick lol

Lucky Strike
11-25-2009, 12:58 PM
anyone notice julius james got protected LOL

I did upon reading the lists when they came out. I laughed for a while, but then remembered that TFC did protect him too in the previous expansion draft. I suppose you could say Julius James was "found out" that he wasn't a really good player between this expansion draft and the last...

pekduck
11-25-2009, 12:59 PM
After watching the sit down with Garber at the supporters meeting from the MLS website, this doesn't seem like it will ever happen. He says it has something to do with labor laws where if a Canadian player is considered domestic, all other nationalities have to as well due to labor laws.

correct for full time employees (which MLS players are)

does not affect USL since most players are exempt from the provision since they are not full time employees

the USL clarification came from CSA official at the summit when someone raised the USL comparison

Lucky Strike
11-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Below was my comment at one of the Footy Blog's posts yesterday to present my mock draft.

---

I was inspired yesterday to conduct my own mock draft. Here are the 10 players I would pick if I were Nowak. When selecting, I was looking for a combination of proven MLS players with some younger ones with signficant up side. I consider myself pretty aware of the news in MLS (for instance, I didn't include Chris Rolfe since he's off to Aalborg) but it's possible I missed some.

Eduardo Lillingston – FW (Chivas) 96K
Mehdi Ballouchy – MC (Colorado) 118K
Frankie Hejduk – RB (Columbus) 175 K
Dave van den Bergh – ML (Dallas) 227K
Todd Dunivant – DL / ML (Los Angeles) 110K
Jay Heaps – CB (New England) 126K
Matthew Mbuta – AMC / FW (RBNY) 20K
Ned Grabavoy – MC (Real Salt Lake) 100K
Sanna Nyassi – MC (Seattle) 20K
Brian Edwards – GK (Toronto) 48K
Total – 2 forwards, 4 midfielders, 3 defenders, 1 goalkeeper = 1.04M

With the selection, you have something at every position and notably, three quarters of the way to a very solid backline and competent players everywhere. Also, below are a few additional players that caught my eye.

Sinisa Ubiparapovic – DM (RBNY) 35K
Sebastien LeToux – FW (Seattle) 112K
Santiago Hirsig – MC (Kansas City) 75K
Tyson Wahl – CB (Seattle) 35K

Yohan
11-25-2009, 01:01 PM

actually, this year's expansion list shows how much the league has grown in quality player wise, to see many good players on the expansion list

though with domestic player rule, Vancouver and Montreal will not be able to take much advantage

flambe
11-25-2009, 01:03 PM
am i right in assuming that the draft is today?
if so, what time and how exactly does it work?
when will we hear about who gets drafted?

excuse my ignorance, thanks!

Hitcho
11-25-2009, 01:03 PM

Some good points in here, especially re TFC getting screwed over on the roster rules. I agree, and I've been ranting about the stupidity of the US/Can player divide since we joined the league.

I've not seen the clip or read a transcript, but it's important to note that the distinction would be scrapped for MLS roster designation purposes only. Players would still need the relevant governmental clearance etc. And anyway, they don't actually need to remove the distinction, they just need to remove the rule. For example, make the rule that TFC must have X many lpayers who are "US or Canadian". That would have the same effect and leave the labour law issue untouched.

So when Garber says it can't be done, that's total bullshit. MLS makes its own rules and there's no reason why they have to include a rule that says TFC must have X many Canadian players instead of X many Canadian OR American players.

Globetrotter
11-25-2009, 01:05 PM
is the draft online somewhere (streamed?)

DOMIN8R
11-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Does anyone think that there is a good chance that no one from our team will be chosen?

Edwards has stiff competition from Onstad and Hartman
Too many risks moving forward with Guevara (attitude, surgery, WC, age, etc.)
Several footie blog pundits with draft mock ups have not included anyone from TFC.

Just a thought.

Damien
11-25-2009, 01:07 PM

im trying http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/ but it's slower than shit.

Lucky Strike
11-25-2009, 01:08 PM

I wouldn't think so. They say the draft has 10 "rounds" but it's a bit of a misnomer since Philadelphia is the only team involved in picking. I wouldn't be surprised if MLS just wants a list faxed to their office by 1pm today (i.e. 8 minutes ago)

Hitcho
11-25-2009, 01:11 PM
DOMIN8R - the combo of your avatar and signature are cracking me up! Pot, meet kettle...