PDA

View Full Version : It's Called Duane Wears a Dress

It's Called Football
11-23-2009, 11:29 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ob3jrmpQDH8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ob3jrmpQDH8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Duane Rollins made a bet at the beginning of the year, that if Chad Barrett did not score 10 goals on the season, he would wear a dress on the show.

Well, Chad fell slightly short of that and now Duane is preparing to pay up on his bet. Saturday, Duane went out in downtown Toronto to find something to wear.

And the show goes live tonight on www.thatchannel.com (http://www.thatchannel.com) at 9pm EST and Duane will have a live chat running up at www.24thminute.com (http://www.24thminute.com). Come join us for both.

***If you miss the live event, I'll put the archived show up here later.

Roogsy
11-23-2009, 11:37 AM
LOL! I thoroughly enjoyed that. I will be watching tonight.

canadian_bhoy
11-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Chad should step up and say that if he doesn't score 10 next season HE'LL wear a dress.

MartinUtd
11-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Or at least something in pink...

Shway
11-23-2009, 12:04 PM
he can just wear his jersey

MartinUtd
11-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks for finishing that one off for me

trane
11-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Why would he believe that Barrett score 10. Seriously??? What indication of that was there. Anyway, Barrett could score 10, but that would strike me as the absolute most he could score, maybe 12, and year in and year out, I would not expect it.

I mean ten in all competitions, no way he scores 10 in MLS games only, he simply does not have a the quality finishes needed to score in every third game.

MartinUtd
11-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Didn't he score 9 between Chicago and TFC in 2008?

trane
11-23-2009, 01:35 PM
^ He did, but that is about it. Sure he may be able to score 10, as I said tops 12, at least in his present form. But you can hardly expect that. That is at the top of his ability. I mean C. Ronaldo can score 40 goals in all competitions. He has the ability. But to expect that, is asking a bit too much.

rocker
11-23-2009, 01:50 PM
it's a reasonable prediction on Rollins' part.. chad scored 5 one season, then 7, then 9 in in 2008. So if that trend had continued into 2009, he woulda scored 11.

trane
11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
^ Numerically it makes sense. But form wise he was off. Again it is not like I would be completely suprised. I just would never come out with such a bold prediction on Barrett. It could happen, I just do not think it should happen. De Ro now SHOULD score 10 year in and year out.

SweetOwnGoal
11-23-2009, 05:17 PM
(sigh)

Also we have Ives and Rohan Ricketts on the show...

tfc2007
11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
haha thats pretty jokess

Redcoe15
11-23-2009, 07:24 PM
That's both hilarious and disturbing. :D :ack2:

CretanBull
11-23-2009, 07:25 PM
You know what? If Barret was put in front of the net (not to the L or R of it) and we had wingers who could stretch defenses out a little bit and he got the type of service where all he had to do was recieve a pass, turn and shoot I think Barret could score 10 or more goals in this league.

I don't like seeing him running with the ball at his feet, he struggles to cross the ball in from out wide, and when defenses collapse to the middle he can't break them down (he's not alone in that regard), but if he could stand at the edge of the 18 yard box centered to the net and take balls of his chest, turn and fire I think he'd be successfull. The raw talent is there...the brain and the confidence isn't.

trane
11-23-2009, 07:41 PM
^ That is a hard question. I thought Gerba would do better, if allowed to sit in the midle at the edge of the 18 yard box, but you are right untill proper service is a constant it is hard to tell.

Lennon
11-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Best. Show. EVER!

rocker
11-23-2009, 10:26 PM
holy shit.. this is disturbing

http://twitpic.com/qom9a
http://twitpic.com/qom9a

It's Called Football
11-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Former Toronto FC midfielder Rohan Ricketts joins the show to talk about his time in Toronto, who he's been trialing and some of the locker room drama that went on with TFC this year. We're also joined by ESPN writer and Soccer By Ives super blogger Ives Galarcep to discuss the expansion draft, the MLS Cup finals and who is going to be on the move this off-season.

All this and Duane pays up on his lost bet and wears a dress on the air.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/377981

TorCanSoc
11-24-2009, 10:39 AM
You know what? If Barret was put in front of the net (not to the L or R of it) and we had wingers who could stretch defenses out a little bit and he got the type of service where all he had to do was recieve a pass, turn and shoot I think Barret could score 10 or more goals in this league.

I don't like seeing him running with the ball at his feet, he struggles to cross the ball in from out wide, and when defenses collapse to the middle he can't break them down (he's not alone in that regard), but if he could stand at the edge of the 18 yard box centered to the net and take balls of his chest, turn and fire I think he'd be successfull. The raw talent is there...the brain and the confidence isn't.

You know I was going to post basically the same analysis. But isn't this tee'ing it up for him a bit too much? His game is turn and shoot, catch the keeper off gaurd. If the whole team doesn't bank on it, and look for it, then he's not going to get the passes that setup that situation. He could get to ten, but it would have to be a team-wide acceptance of this strategy.

I think (and I'm totally guessing here) if Preki's a defense first guy, then our scoring will be on counters. That suits DeRo, Vitti, Guevarra, and to some extent JDG.

redtfcred
11-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Can someone tell wtf Rohan was talking about ????
honestly that was draining

James17930
11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
I was strangely reminded of Norman Bates . . .

SweetOwnGoal
11-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Can someone tell wtf Rohan was talking about ????
honestly that was draining

Rohan said quite bit actually. He talks in circles a bit, which, along with his accent, makes it hard to follow, but there was a lot there.

I'm going to post a transcript of the relevant parts later today.

redtfcred
11-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Rohan said quite bit actually. He talks in circles a bit, which, along with his accent, makes it hard to follow, but there was a lot there.

k do you think he's trashing Mo ? or the corp ., ie the front office etc..

its one or the other is it not ?

rocker
11-24-2009, 01:59 PM

i look forward for your translation/interpretation... hahah... i lost track of his point many times.

MG42
11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
k do you think he's trashing Mo ? or the corp ., ie the front office etc..

its one or the other is it not ?

It sounds like it was about mojo IMO

SweetOwnGoal
11-24-2009, 03:56 PM
It sounds like it was about mojo IMO

That was my take at the time, yes.

redtfcred
11-24-2009, 04:18 PM
That was my take at the time, yes.

Why don't you flat out ASK him ??
whats the point in skirting the direct question?

MG42
11-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Why don't you flat out ASK him ??
whats the point in skirting the direct question?

Listening to the show, you could have asked him his name and gotten a 5 min sideways answer that would have changed directions 5 or 6 times and, strangely enough, would still have not been answered

It's Called Football
11-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Redtfcred: There is a direct question about Mo's involvement in day to day operations and if he was alluding to the GM specifically in that particular reference.

CretanBull
11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
You know I was going to post basically the same analysis. But isn't this tee'ing it up for him a bit too much? His game is turn and shoot, catch the keeper off gaurd. If the whole team doesn't bank on it, and look for it, then he's not going to get the passes that setup that situation. He could get to ten, but it would have to be a team-wide acceptance of this strategy.

I think (and I'm totally guessing here) if Preki's a defense first guy, then our scoring will be on counters. That suits DeRo, Vitti, Guevarra, and to some extent JDG.

I think that you're right and Preki will focus on counter attacking.

A possibility is playing 4-5-1 with Barret as the lone striker. Playing 5 midfielders would clog the pitch for defensive purposes and the attack would come from the turn overs that they create. Even though Chad would be on his own up front, De Ro, JDG and the winger that Mo has send that he's looking for would come forward (leaving Cronin and Robbo back) giving us 4 attacking options from different parts of the pitch - maybe De Ro and the winger from out wide with JDG supporting Chad in the middle.

Another possibility would be playing Barret in a 'false 9' position in a 4-4-2 formation. He could be the deep laying CF who takes his shot when he's got it, or flicks it on to his strike partner (hopefully the 20 goal score that Mo is said to be shopping for).

I'm not convinced that Barret is the man, but last season our strikers had such terrible service and our attack was so predictable that we were the easiest team in the league to defend against (block the middle because we couldn't go wide)...I think all of our strikers deserve a chance under better conditions to prove themselves before we make any decisions on them.

deacon
11-24-2009, 07:47 PM
I think a 4-5-1 is a distinct possibility under Preki. The one player who will benefit the most in that formation is Cronin, playing more centrally. He had a solid rookie season playing out of position all year. he works hard and has great vision. His distribution is quite good for a 22 year old. I see his 2nd season as a big improvement over a pretty good 1st year.

rocker
11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
but last season our strikers had such terrible service and our attack was so predictable that we were the easiest team in the league to defend against (block the middle because we couldn't go wide)...I think all of our strikers deserve a chance under better conditions to prove themselves before we make any decisions on them.

yup.. and since we've seen guys succeed at scoring after leaving TFC (Cunty, Buddle, Casey), I'm not willing to give up on Barrett and Gerba just yet.

One thing I liked about the Ives interview on It's Called Football yesterday is that he points out that Preki is great at getting the players into positions to succeed as part of team play. I think Barrett and Gerba need that. They ain't gonna go out there and do it all themselves.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Im with you about not giving up on Gerba (i dont hate or love Barrett, if we have him, hes ours and i support him, guess i dont expect anything from him except the odd goal), i would like to see a full season out of Gerba (which may or may not happen depending on whether he decides to work with Preki), i think at that point we can make a full judgement on him as a club player