PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Success

canadian_bhoy
11-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Does anyone have the stats on the success of expansion clubs?

This was Real Salt Lake's 5th season in the league. After never making the playoffs, they made it to the semi final last season and this season they are champions.

Everyone knows the great success that Seattle enjoyed this year.

How about the others?

Based on Salt Lake's success, it gives hope for a TFC turnaround in year 4.

Nuvinho
11-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Chicago won it in its 1st year in the league I think.

Shway
11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
correct^

jabbronies
11-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Chivas finished 3rd overall in thier 2nd year
and 1rst overall in thier 3nd year

jabbronies
11-23-2009, 11:14 AM
houston Dynamo finished 2nd and won the cup in thier first year...but that may not count in this thread since they were a relocated team

Azerban
11-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Chicago won it in its 1st year in the league I think.

in a perfect world anyone who mentions this little factoid in any context would be bathed in fire

Toronto Gunner
11-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Spoiler Alert!

I'm currently on vacation in the past (time-travel vacationing is all the rage in the 2040's) and can tell you that Toronto win the league in year's 5-8, making them the first team to three-peat in the MLS and creating literally hundred's of news headlines abusing this horrible pun.

That's all I can say, my vacation is coming to an end in approximately 14 seconds. I have to get back to the present now, Canada are playing Ireland in the final match of the World Cup of Robot Laserball and I don't want to be late for the humming of the national theme-tunes. The robot overlords get very abusive if SSH's show up late and I could lose my food priviledges for up to a space-week.

Beach_Red
11-23-2009, 11:17 AM
houston Dynamo finished 2nd and won the cup in thier first year...but that may not count in this thread since they were a relocated team

Oh, if we're going to count Chicago in the league's 2nd year we might as well count that one, too.

Columbus also had some terrible years before winning the Cup.

Roogsy
11-23-2009, 11:19 AM
This is why I mentioned that Toronto needs to make the playoffs next year. If we don't, we will be a poor example of an expansion side for sure.

Only the new San Jose team seems to be struggling just as much. And even then, they are a revival of a team that has already won the MLS Cup twice so I am not sure we can count them. That whole Houston thing is a bit of a wrench in the analysis.

Still...we aren't impressive by any means.

MartinUtd
11-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing how Philly runs things. Have they signed anyone yet?

redtfcred
11-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Did San Jose not win there very first year in League ??? the first time around ?

Roogsy
11-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing how Philly runs things. Have they signed anyone yet?

LOL! Lord help us if Philly makes it into the playoffs in 2010 and we don't. :facepalm:

redtfcred
11-23-2009, 11:39 AM
With Grass next year we can't lose :):)

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Does anyone have the stats on the success of expansion clubs?

This was Real Salt Lake's 5th season in the league. After never making the playoffs, they made it to the semi final last season and this season they are champions.

Everyone knows the great success that Seattle enjoyed this year.

How about the others?

Based on Salt Lake's success, it gives hope for a TFC turnaround in year 4.

That's the whole point though, isn't it? ANy team can go from last to first in the space of a season (or in the case of the shite bulls, second to last - hahaha). Equality is KING in MLS. There is ALWAYS hope of a turnaround the following season.

Even for teams owned by MLSE... :D