PDA

View Full Version : Garber Confirms Beckham Ownership

maninb
11-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Garber confirmed yesterday that Beckham has the option to be primary owner of the 20th MLS franchise whereever it may be. He must be done playing in the league by then however...IMO having Beckham as an owner would be great for the league. It's bound to bring in more BIG money to MLS..

billyfly
11-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Miami for sure if not a 2nd NY team.

denime
11-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Garber confirmed yesterday that Beckham has the option to be primary owner of the 20th MLS franchise whereever it may be. He must be done playing in the league by then however...IMO having Beckham as an owner would be great for the league. It's bound to bring in more BIG money to MLS..

LINK ;)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=702594&cc=5901

Brooker
11-23-2009, 11:01 AM
imagine after Dichio retired he went and became an owner of a new team... I would burst into tears...

why doesn't he just become an owner of the Galaxy?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-23-2009, 11:49 AM
imagine after Dichio retired he went and became an owner of a new team... I would burst into tears...

why doesn't he just become an owner of the Galaxy?

because he is soulless and only in it for the money

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 12:31 PM
^ haha. Actually I think in beckham's tiny little mind he thinks he will be doing something good for football in north america by investing in a team. but yeah, $$$ must also be a factor.

his presence in the ownership might help with boosting season ticket sales for the new franchise, which would be one good thing.

Will the new franchise be called "THE _______ GOLDEN BALLS"??!! :D:D:D:D

redtfcred
11-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Has beckham not helped the MLS ???
regardless if you like him or not
He has helped no??

Cashcleaner
11-23-2009, 01:30 PM
This doesn't strike me as a move that's all about making money. I think we all agree that just putting a franchise down anywhere and wishing for the best won't automatically translate to financial success, and compared to other routes to make money, sports club ownership is probably one of the more riskiest endeavours an investor can make.

No, I think this is all about Beckham just wanting to try his hand at ownership and having the sort of control over an organization that he's never enjoyed in the past as a player. Personally, I think that's a pretty good reason to own a club. The more I think about it, the more I think this is just really good news for MLS and soccer in North America.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Didn't all but two teams (us and someone else) lose money last year? You don't buy an MLS team to make money.

Carts
11-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Is the Red Bull ownership group on solid ground...?

Victoria Beckham just started a new company and offices in NY, and they have started to lay a foundation down there - that could me buying into that club possibly (just guessing)...

After LA, New York is the most likely place I could see the Beckham family living...

Carts...

rocker
11-23-2009, 01:46 PM
he'll need something to do when he's old, can't play, and nobody wants him in advertisements anymore cuz he's flabby and grey-haired ;)

plus, it'll cost a helluva lot less to get into the ownership of an MLS team than some top team in Europe.

Cashcleaner
11-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Is the Red Bull ownership group on solid ground...?

Victoria Beckham just started a new company and offices in NY, and they have started to lay a foundation down there - that could me buying into that club possibly (just guessing)...

After LA, New York is the most likely place I could see the Beckham family living...

Carts...

Well, the owners are Red Bull and as far as I know, the company as a whole is doing just fine. If the sports ownership wing of the corporation is in any trouble, it would be news to me. Beckham in New York sounds reasonable to me, but I am absolutely adamant that there won't be a second team there as long as the Red Bulls continue to struggle. And for the record, I have my doubts the new stadium will magically turn the club's fortunes around.

akoto
11-23-2009, 01:55 PM
and maybe he could become the coach of this new franchise and bring to the club all the glory and attention, like Wayne Gretzky did to the Coyotes. :)

Hitcho
11-23-2009, 01:56 PM
He has helped no??

well i don't think he has harmed MLS, and he certainly gave it a publicity boost when he joined. but he's defintiely not had the kind of impact he wanted to. if mls is going to survive and do well, then it needs a lot more than beckham. there are fundamental ground level factors that beckhm can contribute to but cannot take care of on his own. but yes, he has helped. and no, i am not a backham hater.

anyway let's keep it all in focus here - he has an OPTION to buy into the 20th team ONLY (ie, not any franchise he takes a fancy to), and not until after 2011. there's no guarantee it will even come around. wouldn't be a bad thing though, beckham will remain famous in football long after he stops playing.

brad
11-23-2009, 02:45 PM
anyway let's keep it all in focus here - he has an OPTION to buy into the 20th team ONLY (ie, not any franchise he takes a fancy to), and not until after 2011. there's no guarantee it will even come around. wouldn't be a bad thing though, beckham will remain famous in football long after he stops playing.

At the very least, it's one more team owned by someone passionate about the game.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-23-2009, 08:39 PM
He has helped no??

yes, im just being an ass.

CretanBull
11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
From a league perspective, St. Louis makes the most sense as the 20th team...but with all due respect, St. Louis isn't exactly a Beckham type town. If (at the time) a more attractive city isn't an option for the MLS, he might end up in a partnership with the Suputo family in Montreal. That would allow him to live in NYC and still have an eye on his team and Montreal would (probably) have more appeal than a non-glamour city in America.

ginkster88
11-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Beckham has been great for this league. I didn't give two shits about soccer in North America or really in general, nor did I know anything about MLS until I heard he had signed in LA.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Hope Becks gets a second NY franchise..the league needs it for a rivalry for NY red bulls, Philly will do for a start, but they need the same hatred the Yanks and Mets have for each other,,

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Hope Becks gets a second NY franchise..the league needs it for a rivalry for NY red bulls, Philly will do for a start, but they need the same hatred the Yanks and Mets have for each other,,

If Becks takes a Franchise it will be in the Southeast, either Atlanta or Miami. MLS needs those tv markets and ratings just haven't been the same since the Fusion folded. In fact, ratings before the Fusion folded were higher than what they are now.

koryo
11-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Garber confirmed yesterday that Beckham has the option to be primary owner of the 20th MLS franchise whereever it may be.

C'mon BOISE!

flatpicker
11-24-2009, 08:52 AM
If Becks takes a Franchise it will be in the Southeast, either Atlanta or Miami. MLS needs those tv markets and ratings just haven't been the same since the Fusion folded. In fact, ratings before the Fusion folded were higher than what they are now.

Is that right?
hmmmm... didn't know that.

In that case (unlike the NHL) I'm all for expanding or promoting teams in those areas.

Fort York Redcoat
11-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Interesting comparison to bring up. Not many of us know firsthand real derbies in MLS other than LA and Chivas.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Interesting comparison to bring up. Not many of us know firsthand real derbies in MLS other than LA and Chivas.

the upper west coast will have good derbies with Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, so Garber has to think that is whats need on the East coast with a 2nd New York team..and in the future a northern derbies with Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal? This league looks like it heading in the right direction...lets hope the CBA stuff doesnt do any harm!!

Oldtimer
11-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Beckham has been great for this league. I didn't give two shits about soccer in North America or really in general, nor did I know anything about MLS until I heard he had signed in LA.

Thanks for pointing this out, sometimes we forget the impact Beckham made. I think that a lot of people feel the same way. Not so much on this board which tends to have more hardcore soccer types, but certainly in the general sporting public.

rocker
11-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for pointing this out, sometimes we forget the impact Beckham made. I think that a lot of people feel the same way. Not so much on this board which tends to have more hardcore soccer types, but certainly in the general sporting public.

yup.. i distinctly remember the "Beckham effect" on TFC season ticket sales when it happened. Anselmi even admitted it caused thousands of people to realize Toronto had a team starting soon and that MLS seemed legit. At that point season ticket sales were good already (much more than any number at any other MLS team) but Becks was a catalyst to push things forward to a complete sellout.

nascarguy
11-27-2009, 03:18 AM
maybe he will put his mls team in hamilton....lol

Fort York Redcoat
11-27-2009, 08:39 AM
the upper west coast will have good derbies with Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, so Garber has to think that is whats need on the East coast with a 2nd New York team..and in the future a northern derbies with Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal? This league looks like it heading in the right direction...lets hope the CBA stuff doesnt do any harm!!

You're absolutely right Mighty_TorontoFC_2008. Totally discrediting yourself, but yes, totally correct.

Unless you don't want Montreal or any Canadian city in MLS but are admitting it will be good for the league. That's what you mean, right?

Oh and not to retread but derbies are cross town rivals not cross border rivals.