PDA

View Full Version : MLS Cup - LA Galaxy vs Real Salt Lake - Post Game Thread

Gixmo
11-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Great game, real winner tonight if Football in North America.

Excellent goal keeping, some ballsy shots and a Landycakes turkey.. Excellent...

Come on Pre-season

SmokedPanda
11-23-2009, 12:00 AM
i wonder if we are going to see an updated version of the landy cakes book by Christmas

Aroundtheworld
11-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Congrats to Real Salt Lake, they were very deserving champs!

Think about what it means for TFC - RSL stood for futility until two years ago. And now they've won the Cup.

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Very exciting game. Watched the whole thing. 1-1 was not a just score on what happened in the actual game. It should have been higher.

That game looked like Championship quality football last night. High tempo, and 2nd division play, which is better than the low tempo, and mid table 3rd Div quality of play which characterizes MLS throughout the season.

TheRenter
11-23-2009, 12:14 AM
What was the attendance tonight in Seattle?

Hooligan69
11-23-2009, 12:14 AM
As an aside, how was the crowd atmosphere tonight? I didn't get to see the game.

Sab0tage
11-23-2009, 12:20 AM
As an aside, how was the crowd atmosphere tonight? I didn't get to see the game. Yeah, how many visiting fans from LA/RSL?

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 12:23 AM
What was the attendance tonight in Seattle?

46,011 i think.

TheRenter
11-23-2009, 12:24 AM
^that's a good #, no?

sorry i missed this one

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 12:25 AM
^that's a good #, no?

sorry i missed this one

Highest attendance since 02 I think they said.

Roogsy
11-23-2009, 12:34 AM
GREAT GAME!

Everything a soccer game should be. The teams left it all on the field.

I would like to make one note:

POOR FORM BY GOL TV NOT LEAVING ENOUGH TIME FOR EXTRA TIME!

I thought ahead and even recorded an extra half hour and STILL missed the penalties. So I actually have not seen it yet. Even with my preparation, Gol TV STILL screwed me. Whoever does the programming there is an idiot. You ALWAYS leave extra time in a championship game.

But the game itself was awesome, gripping, entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was pulling for LA as I think it would have been better for the league overall for the Galaxy to win. But RSL winning is also good for us...as they are barely older than we are, there really are no excuses for Toronto FC now. Success is not as unreachable as Mo Johnston and Tom Anselmi would have us believe.

Respect goes out to the Seattle soccer fan who came out to support their team all year and gave a good showing at the championship game.

TorCanSoc
11-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Really?! What game were you guys watching? Just got back from the Stoney Creek kickabout, a bunch of us watched it there. There wasn't a shot until something like the 30'th minute? Free kicks and corners went nowhere. As a neutral, I thought it was a poor quality game?? Maybe its just me?

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Really?! What game were you guys watching? Just got back from the Stoney Creek kickabout, a bunch of us watched it there. There wasn't a shot until something like the 30'th minute? Free kicks and corners went nowhere. As a neutral, I thought it was a poor quality game?? Maybe its just me?

It's just you.

ilikemusic
11-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Great to see Landycakes miss after his stupid penalty raindance routine.

edmundo
11-23-2009, 12:56 AM
last team to beat rsl was us

SoccMan
11-23-2009, 12:59 AM
A very good game I thought, and for people who did not think it was a good game your probably people who already go into watching an MLS game with an ingrained bias in your head which is that it's the MLS therefore it will be crap. Get over your stupid bias and enjoy the game and the league and stop trying to compare everything about the league to what you see in Europe. Todays game had good fan support in a very nice stadium and the TV production was very good.

TorCanSoc
11-23-2009, 01:17 AM
I've been an MLS fan for a long time. I just didn't see it in the game tonight. I guess I just got it engrained from the first 20 or so minutes. Even when L.A. scored, I didn't see RSL pressing very hard. Just my opinion folks, don't let it bother you too much.

Up The TFC
11-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Todays game had good fan support in a very nice stadium and the TV production was very good.

How was the football?

mlsintoronto
11-23-2009, 01:33 AM

^ thats the same game I saw. not very entertaining football but an exciting finish. By the end I was rooting for RSL....against almost every fibre of my being...

Dunkers
11-23-2009, 01:35 AM
WHERE ARE THE HIGHLIGHT!??!?!

I missed the game, and took a look around mlsnet and youtube to find some highlights...nothing, but i did get an awsome email from mlsgear.com asking me to buy some RSL Cup Championshiop gear. Thanks MLS, withhold the content, while trying to reach into my pocket! .

Fushida
11-23-2009, 01:53 AM

The first half was definitely shit. Boring, full of pointless and aimless longballs by both sides. But Kreis said something at the half, and really lit a fire under his players' asses. 2nd half was amazing IMO, full of quick tempo attacking, and RSL was bossing. The two halves of extra time were quite decent, though it got sloppy by the 2nd half clearly due to exhaustion. Both coaches didn't get to make good use of their subs, since 2 of them for each team were used on injuries.

I was actually rooting for LA before this game, as they "deserved" winning more than a sub-.500 RSL... but their lacklustre 2nd half display really swayed me... RSL really gave it all today. And lots of respect to Becks... I'm not a big fan of his, but he definitely worked his ass off tonight (even though his overall performance was shit... RSL did a damn good job of shutting him down).

I think this would rank as one of the better games in the playoffs... Houston vs Seattle still beats this one in my eyes, but not by that much.

Fushida
11-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Priceless :drum::drum:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6126/lolkd.jpg

TFCRegina
11-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Beckerman had a great game if you ask me. He's the heart of that RSL team.

RSL is my least hated team of the Western Conference, I hope this will mean they sell all their season tickets next season, as it would be great to have a financially strong MLS. The success of the small market clubs is necessary to have that.

Dub Narcotic
11-23-2009, 03:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATUOmByU9gc

sulfur
11-23-2009, 05:28 AM

I thought ahead and even recorded an extra half hour and STILL missed the penalties. So I actually have not seen it yet. Even with my preparation, Gol TV STILL screwed me. Whoever does the programming there is an idiot. You ALWAYS leave extra time in a championship game.
We watched the entire game live. We stopped at 11:49 ET after the presentation of the cup itself. Not once did we lose the feed or it go to something else.

Extra time took about 40 minutes all told (including the break at the start and the added time at the end), PKs took another 10 or so.

Shakes McQueen
11-23-2009, 06:27 AM
We watched the entire game live. We stopped at 11:49 ET after the presentation of the cup itself. Not once did we lose the feed or it go to something else.

Extra time took about 40 minutes all told (including the break at the start and the added time at the end), PKs took another 10 or so.

I think he's talking about them not setting aside enough time in the program guide, to cover recording potential extra time and penalties to a PVR.

- Scott

Oldtimer
11-23-2009, 08:00 AM
I thought it was a good game with a lot of excitement. Bith teams were exhausted and left everything on the (plastic) pitch.

GBV
11-23-2009, 08:24 AM

i agree. thought it was piss poor both from quality standpoint and from entertainment standpoint.
i hate penalty kicks, but i'm glad that game finally got put out of its misery.

rocker
11-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Yeah I didn't think it was that great of a game... a lot of midfield battles but the first 20-30 minutes were boring as hell. They were just feeling each other out and barely getting anything good going. I felt like things finally picked up with the LA goal. The second half was better.

flatpicker
11-23-2009, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't say it was a terrific game.
It was decent, but the play often seemed far too congested, the passing was clumsy and the scoring opportunities will few.
It had it's moments though.

I admit, I was kinda cheering for the other team (the - what's best for the league thing).
And I lost a dollar on the result....

TFC Cityboy
11-23-2009, 09:24 AM
My only disappointment was that Beckham scored his penalty. Landycakes missing his (and Buddle too) was just fuckin hilarious- it took me forever to get to sleep as I was so happy the twat had cost his team the cup.

ensco
11-23-2009, 09:26 AM
FSL were dead.

They had a 3% chance of making the playoffs after the TFC game, what were the odds of them making it, and then winning 4 more games against top teams

Less than 1% for sure.

Even though MLS has more parity than any league I know, this was the flukiest thing I've ever seen in sports.

Wagner
11-23-2009, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't say it was a terrific game.
It was decent, but the play often seemed far too congested, the passing was clumsy and the scoring opportunities will few.
It had it's moments though.

I admit, I was kinda cheering for the other team (the - what's best for the league thing).
And I lost a dollar on the result....

I also though the LA Gals winning would be best for the league...
but it was awesome when Landycakes skied that shot.
Buddle's attempt was pretty weak as well.

I thought the Production Quality was top notch. Looked like a big league event, which helps the credibility of the league, I'll be curious to see what the TV numbers were like. Eagles vs. Bears was the only real competition.

Gixmo
11-23-2009, 09:36 AM
GREAT GAME!

Everything a soccer game should be. The teams left it all on the field.

I would like to make one note:

But the game itself was awesome, gripping, entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was pulling for LA as I think it would have been better for the league overall for the Galaxy to win. But RSL winning is also good for us...as they are barely older than we are, there really are no excuses for Toronto FC now. Success is not as unreachable as Mo Johnston and Tom Anselmi would have us believe.

Respect goes out to the Seattle soccer fan who came out to support their team all year and gave a good showing at the championship game.

Uh? You must be talking about PVR right? GOL carried the ESPN feed right up until the trophy celebration etc, and called it a night there before joining programming in progress?

canadian_bhoy
11-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Kudos to Garber for keeping his yap relatively shut when presenting the trophy. I still think that the commish shouldn't say anything - just give him the trophy. Also - get the stupid owner out of there, his success is on the balance sheet, the trophy is for the players of the field.

zeelaw
11-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Roberto Baggio Donovan

Mark in Ottawa
11-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I watched the first half... was less than impressed and went to bed.
Unfortunately I too was relying on the program guide and PVR... looks like I won't be seeing the whole thing.

This morning I read that LA did not have their starting goalkeeper in net during the penalty shootout at the end. What did I miss there?

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Ricketts went off injured after RSL equalized, the backup goalie actually did really well though, stopped 2 penalties I think. Landycakes and Buddle should be the goats, Landycakes skied his penalty and Buddle's penalty was about as crappy as a penalty can be without missing the goal altogether.

canadian_bhoy
11-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I watched the first half... was less than impressed and went to bed.
Unfortunately I too was relying on the program guide and PVR... looks like I won't be seeing the whole thing.

This morning I read that LA did not have their starting goalkeeper in net during the penalty shootout at the end. What did I miss there?

NCAA football on ABC taught me long ago that you need to PVR at least 1 show past the event.

- The LA keeper was injured about 60 mins into the match. Something to do with his hand.

TFCUNITED
11-23-2009, 10:36 AM
The one thing that bothered me was at the end of the game when they were taking the team photo because one guy was holding onto his kid when they were taking it. I know players want their family and friends to be involved but for me, when they are taking the team photo it should be just the team (I'm not excluding the coach or anyone like that). It's not hard to put the kid down for 30 seconds, take the picture and then pick him up again and celebrate. People may not agree with me but this is how I feel.

Wagner
11-23-2009, 10:51 AM
mlsnet.com has a pretty good "Game in 7 Minutes" video.
http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7138123

canadian_bhoy
11-23-2009, 10:54 AM
mlsnet.com has a pretty good "Game in 7 Minutes" video.
http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7138123

Game in 7 mins? Who do they think they are?

I've got something that will blow that away. Get this

Game In 8 Minutes.

Think about it man, you got 2 choices, 7 mins or 8 mins, which one you gonna pick? MLS is thinking Gorgonzola when it's actaully Brie time baby!

Roogsy
11-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I think he's talking about them not setting aside enough time in the program guide, to cover recording potential extra time and penalties to a PVR.

- Scott

Yep.

I watched the game about an hour behind. By the time I realized that Gol TV had not set aside enough time EVEN with my recording the next show just in case...it was too late to get back to Gol TV to extend the recording. So I actually have not seen the PKs yet.

cuecas_red
11-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Game in 7 mins? Who do they think they are?

I've got something that will blow that away. Get this

Game In 8 Minutes.

Think about it man, you got 2 choices, 7 mins or 8 mins, which one you gonna pick? MLS is thinking Gorgonzola when it's actaully Brie time baby!
7 is the key number
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mioHO4hoM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mioHO4hoM

Roogsy
11-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't know why people didn't enjoy the game as much as I did. It had everything. Grit, chances, injuries, PKs, extra time, a great crowd. Maybe people don't enjoy midfield battles as much as I do since I am more defensive minded, but there were also plenty of open chances. As much as I can't stand Landycakes...the man is a beast in the open field. Findley is great to watch trying to beat the slow LA backline. Becky's beautiful service. And every player completely spent with nothing else to give. What else do people want? This isn't Barcelona people. If you want beautiful football, watch the Super Clasico this weekend and see Madrid get destroyed by the Blaugrana. :D

And ESPN's coverage was top-notch.

Wagner
11-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't know why people didn't enjoy the game as much as I did. It had everything. Grit, chances, injuries, PKs, extra time, a great crowd. Maybe people don't enjoy midfield battles as much as I do since I am more defensive minded, but there were also plenty of open chances. As much as I can't stand Landycakes...the man is a beast in the open field. Findley is great to watch trying to beat the slow LA backline. Becky's beautiful service. And every player completely spent with nothing else to give. What else do people want? This isn't Barcelona people. If you want beautiful football, watch the Super Clasico this weekend and see Madrid get destroyed by the Blaugrana. :D

And ESPN's coverage was top-notch.

I'm with you Roogs.

Brooker
11-23-2009, 11:50 AM
i LOVE how Beckham got caught completely ball watching on the RSL goal. priceless.

but jesus thats retarded putting the RSL fans way up in the nosebleeds.

H Bomb
11-23-2009, 12:49 PM
This is why I dont likke the playoffs = champions angle. I have no problem congratulating RSL for being the winners of the cup, but we know what these guys are, and they aint the "best team in the league". They shouldn't be held up as such. Congrats Columbus on being champions, and good for you RSL, on that great cup run.

flatpicker
11-23-2009, 12:56 PM
This is why I dont likke the playoffs = champions angle. I have no problem congratulating RSL for being the winners of the cup, but we know what these guys are, and they aint the "best team in the league". They shouldn't be held up as such. Congrats Columbus on being champions, and good for you RSL, on that great cup run.

agreed...

A difficult as it is to say, Columbus are the best team in the league.
RSL were the best team in a 3 week tournament.

Perhaps, when a new and more attractive trophy is made for the Supporters' Shield, then more attention will be given to the winners.

Oldtimer
11-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Perhaps, when a new and more attractive trophy is made for the Supporters' Shield, then more attention will be given to the winners.

Well that's up to us. The SS was created by the MLS Supporters Groups. At the start, there wasn't any trophy for best on the table.

Like the Voyageurs Cup, it was done on the cheap.

While MLS is similar to other North American sport leagues in that the winner of the end-of-season playoff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff) final — the MLS Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup) — is crowned league champion, a group of fans wanted a way to recognize the team that would have become champion in a single table: the team that scored the most points in league play over the regular season. To this end, the Supporters' Shield was created and first awarded following the 1998 season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_1998_Season). It was retroactively awarded to Tampa Bay and D.C. United for the 1996 and 1997 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Supporters%27_Shield

Roogsy
11-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Our fellow RPB member Afra had a FABULOUS suggestion for the Supporters Cup that I hope gets some consideration at some point. I mean...it's friggin beautiful.

SoccMan
11-23-2009, 02:33 PM
It would be great if the the champion was recognized by coming first in the regular season standings. However, lets be honest here, we live in North America and the way the sporting public recognizes a champion is by who wins in the playoffs and unfortunately that is the way things are done over here. It's hard enough to get the mainstream sporting public to follow soccer so for them to accept a champion by who comes first overall in the regular season will take some time, one day maybe,however not in the foreseable future unfortunately it's just the way it is over here. Hey if TFC was Real Salt Lake right now I would not care that they did not finish first overall in the regular season, I would just accept them as MLS champions period and be happy about it.

BallardSounder
11-23-2009, 09:45 PM
The game was a lot more fun than I expected, and thought the quality of play was decent as well. It was really difficult finding a team to cheer for, as I'd normally rather eat dirt than cheer for a team from Utah or LA. At various times I said I'd pick the team that a) had the best support or b) played the more creative football.

As for support, that was RSL by far. Their front office was on the ball and packed not only the standard away section, but brought over 900 fans! They also got Seattle to open up the upper deck section for them, which is great. We're hoping that our FO does this more in future, as the existing away section is a) too small and b) not segregated enough.

In any case, the RSL fans cheered and drummed and threw streamers, etc. for pretty much the entire match. They also got much more into the overall festivities around the match, such as the march (which they totally took over) and in general behaved as good supporters. The smaller LA group (their FO shafted them on tickets) pretty much were silent after the RSL goal. They did have a nice big flag though.

As for the match, LA was much more creative with more interesting passes. RSL basically relied on a dump and chase attack. In the section half, however, LA got tired and RSL seemed to find a lot more space.

Anyway, overall fun and the crowd was pretty overwhelmingly for the underdog RSL. I didn't go to any of the Supporter Summit things (had kids soccer games) but the other ECS guys said that both the LA and RSL supporters were class acts. We're expecting large away groups for all three teams next year.

However, the