PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: TFC trying to sign Niagara Purple Eagles keeper

MUFC_Niagara
11-22-2009, 07:46 PM
http://www.purpleeagles.com/sports/msoccer/rosters/displayPlayer.asp?PLAYER_ID=3041

So, I know someone involved in the men's soccer setup who told me that TFC is trying to sign Niagara keeper John Fiutowski, of Ottawa, ON. He led the country in saves per game last year. Apparently, they want to get a deal done before the draft (if thats even possible).

ArmenJBX
11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
lol, sure, bring him in. Looks like a good promising goalie.

MUFC_Niagara
11-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Like the title said, its rumour.....but the guy is part of the team so I suppose he would know pretty well.

rocker
11-22-2009, 08:11 PM
why wouldn't he have to go through the Superdraft?

TFCRegina
11-22-2009, 08:13 PM
why wouldn't he have to go through the Superdraft?

You're allowed 'discovery' signings throughout the year. I think it's 6 to a season or something. You can claim rights to a player.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-22-2009, 08:15 PM
I approve for sure. A few people I know have complained that TFC should be signing more young players from the CSL and I've often wondered why we don't seem to be looking at more guys from the CSL.

He's only 21 and led the league in saves, that's very promising. And a 3.88 GPA... I'm very jealous. LOL

TFCRegina
11-22-2009, 08:24 PM
I approve for sure. A few people I know have complained that TFC should be signing more young players from the CSL and I've often wondered why we don't seem to be looking at more guys from the CSL.

He's only 21 and led the league in saves, that's very promising. And a 3.88 GPA... I'm very jealous. LOL

Yes, buying players from the CSL would do a couple things, it would send a message that you can get to the pro level through this league and it would increase the money the CSL teams have, which would lead to things like better player development.

The problem is we have a low level equilibrium problem, which is a problem that is not dissimilar to economic development in chronically poor countries. Because countries are poor, nobody invests in factories, so no factories get built, but you'd be richer if you had factories. In this situation, because our clubs suck, their players are not of the level we need in MLS, so nobody buys players from them in MLS, so then our clubs still suck.

sulfur
11-22-2009, 08:43 PM
As an aside, CSL players and CIS players can't go into the SuperDraft. It's for NCAA colleges only and those few people that the MLS declares can go into it.

rocker
11-22-2009, 08:43 PM
wait, i thought this guy was at a US College? you can't put a discovery claim on a guy at a US College. am I wrong? Niagara University is in NY State.

Sullivan
11-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Alumni reaching out... and it doesn't hurt. The kid is 6'4, good size. It's an opportunity. The connection with TFC is the Keeper coach Toshack. He coached the NU keeper coach when both were at St Lawrence U, a div III program.

But, MAAC isn't where any scouts/coaches are paying a lot of attention. It'a weak conference. NU's schedule was pretty soft and very low RPI so his stats are open to vast interpretation. Also, a pair of 0-4 thrashings won't help his cause with regard to gaining consideration for the combine list; which has already been shortened and he wasn't one of the few Canadians on the long version from what was shared with me.

He is a free agent signing - see Hall, Smith, Asante, Gonsalves.. who were drafted, but could have been signed whenever as free agents...

Anyways, good luck to John.

2009 NU Men's soccer stats:
http://www.purpleeagles.com/assets/sports/msoccer/ms%2011-15.pdf

Personally, I like the Brain Perk rumour better.

jaahuuu
11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm all in favor of anybody from my alma mater signing a pro contract anywhere.

Oldtimer
11-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Maybe this means Edwards will be unprotected.

Captain Croatia
11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
TFC should get scouts at Ontario Soccer League games (rep levels), or even high school games.

They could find kids to put an amazing team together.

Brooker
11-23-2009, 03:38 PM
we should sign this guy, too.... just so I can put his name on the back of my jersey.

http://www.purpleeagles.com/sports/msoccer/rosters/displayPlayer.asp?PLAYER_ID=3046

prizby
11-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Laurentian University's Scott Cliff would be a good signing for TFC :)